PDA

View Full Version : MLS playoffs 2014

Pages : [1] 2

Yohan
10-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Because I feel like making a new thread ;)

Play in round

Wed 29 Oct 9pm
Vancouver at Dallas

Thurs 30 Oct 8pm
Kansas City at New York

OgtheDim
10-28-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure without Henry that NYRB make the playoffs in 2015.

And SKC is in the West.

FRANKIE65
10-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Because I feel like making a new thread ;)

Play in round

Wed 29 Oct 9pm
Vancouver at Dallas

Thurs 30 Oct 8pm
Kansas City at New York

Couldn't bring myself to cheer for the Limpact (if they were in) but, I'm actually looking forward to the Vancouver game. Watched their last few games, man it would be nice to see our boys be able to defend like that!

prizby
10-29-2014, 12:15 AM
i thought you were going to predict tfc in next years playoffs

Yohan
10-29-2014, 12:23 AM
i thought you were going to predict tfc in next years playoffs
ah fack. lol

habstfc
10-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Vancouver and Columbus are my dark horse picks.

FRANKIE65
10-29-2014, 06:44 PM
So much for watching the Vancouver/Dallas game...TSN4 is showing the Craptors.

OgtheDim
10-29-2014, 08:07 PM
http://cricfree.sx/tsn-1-live-stream.php

FRANKIE65
10-29-2014, 08:16 PM
http://cricfree.sx/tsn-1-live-stream.php

How do you get it to play without the pop up messages?

OgtheDim
10-29-2014, 08:19 PM
How do you get it to play without the pop up messages?

Firefox pop up blocker and Adblock

Used to go to firstrow and now can't get on because they insist I ditch my adblock.

Yohan
10-29-2014, 08:53 PM
1-0 Dallas. Tesho Akindele

pdubs
10-29-2014, 08:56 PM
vancouver looks terrible.

QBall
10-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Hope Vancouver can get their act together for the 2nd half

FRANKIE65
10-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Firefox pop up blocker and Adblock

Used to go to firstrow and now can't get on because they insist I ditch my adblock.

Thanks. Vancouver doesn't look as good as I've seen lately.

QBall
10-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Morales off the bar. So close.

CBTFC
10-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Morales off in the 58' minute with them down 1-0?

Hmmmm.

Yohan
10-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Hope Vancouver can get their act together for the 2nd half
screw them. they can burn in slightly less hotter hell than Montreal lol

Yohan
10-29-2014, 09:31 PM
1-1, Erik Hurtado

QBall
10-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Unfortunate bounce goes of Caps defender. 2-1 Dallas but I wonder if Caps can take advantage of Dallas goalie walking wounded.

pdubs
10-29-2014, 09:52 PM
yea idk about that one ...

ManUtd4ever
10-29-2014, 09:58 PM
That was a BS call, especially in the late stages of a playoff game.

ensco
10-29-2014, 10:02 PM
I hate that. There needs to be some discretion for the ref there. Corner of the box, ball was no real threat, barely touched the arm (if at all).... that is not a play that should decide a game.

QBall
10-29-2014, 10:02 PM
Wow, last Saturday Caps qualify for playoffs. Four days later and they're gone. Hardly enough time for a Vancouver sports riot. Better luck next year. At least they have CCL to look forward to.

pdubs
10-29-2014, 10:04 PM
it is a bad look for mls. Has been all season tho with terrible officiating throughout the year.

Donald Duck
10-29-2014, 10:04 PM
lolz~~ world cup ref? the ref should go ref house league instead. he doesn't even know what the fuck he is doing. bad call for the whole game.

OgtheDim
10-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Not quite an Impact 4 vs. 5 meltdown but that young team has to get a hold of itself.

jazzy
10-29-2014, 10:08 PM
How does Dallas do it . And a rookie from Calgary? scores their first goal......Van lost their cool big time . Frenandez and Laba.......forgot they are in MLS .

SoccMan2
10-29-2014, 10:11 PM
What a joke of a call, how do you call a penalty on something like that even worse the fact that it's late in the game in a one game knockout game scenario and the game is tied at the time of the penalty, disgraceful call.

SoccMan2
10-29-2014, 10:16 PM
I love this game of ours but the biggest flaw of all is the fact that the officials can decide a game more than in most other sports by the power of calling a penalty kick.

Leedsoronto
10-29-2014, 10:32 PM
That was almost as bad as the Edmonton hand ball penalty desision earlier this year. MLS refs realy are the biggest joke in soccer, period !!!

bones
10-29-2014, 10:50 PM
That was almost as bad as the Edmonton hand ball penalty desision earlier this year. MLS refs realy are the biggest joke in soccer, period !!!

Nothing can be as bad as that one!

but, yeay, one and done, Whitecaps gonzo. All the shit talk from their supporters about us aaaaaand they're done.

ag futbol
10-29-2014, 11:03 PM
That was an attocious call, and even worse Jason DeVos digging in behind it saying it was the right decision. We all get a little bit dumber for having listened to that..

Hamilton_Red
10-29-2014, 11:25 PM
We've been obsessed with with making the playoffs for 8 years...imagine when we finally make it... Then three days later you are knocked out by a ref making a typically shit MLS call. The MLS play off format is crap...really crap.

Winning the supporters shield really is the pinnacle in the game - it should be every team's primary goal. In order to do this you have to have a balanced league. Abolish the East and the West... Have a Division 1 & a Division 2... Let all teams into the Cup with home and away games. Winning the league is it in every other soccer league going. It doesn't have to be different in MLS.

Lennon
10-29-2014, 11:37 PM
I'd like MLS to adopt Liga MX's playoff format. Two legs, home and away. If after 2 legs the series is tied, the higher seed advances.

Yohan
10-29-2014, 11:50 PM
We've been obsessed with with making the playoffs for 8 years...imagine when we finally make it... Then three days later you are knocked out by a ref making a typically shit MLS call. The MLS play off format is crap...really crap.

Winning the supporters shield really is the pinnacle in the game - it should be every team's primary goal. In order to do this you have to have a balanced league. Abolish the East and the West... Have a Division 1 & a Division 2... Let all teams into the Cup with home and away games. Winning the league is it in every other soccer league going. It doesn't have to be different in MLS.
Yay. Eurocentric POV.
And you're wrong. Playoffs do exist in other league such as Mexico (La Liguilla) and Australia (the Finals). Playoffs have also been used to determine promotion and relegation in quite a few leagues, as well as deciding some European cup qualifiers from leagues.

What works for the rest of the world may not work in North America. I personally find playoffs more interesting, because it means more games have meaning during regular season vs mid table teams not caring last few weeks of the season once they know they aren't playing for a European spot or promotion or relegation.

Hamilton_Red
10-30-2014, 01:18 AM
Yohan are you saying the MLS format is adequate? For me after playing the whole season...to have one game & be out is a bit much. Not to mention Dallas/Vancouver now having a weekend game against a rested Seattle...add in the Yellow card suspensions...

Really you haven't made the playoffs in MLS unless you come in the top three in your division.

mook-life
10-30-2014, 01:26 AM
I'm with the euro way every damn game means something

Yohan
10-30-2014, 01:32 AM
Yohan are you saying the MLS format is adequate? For me after playing the whole season...to have one game & be out is a bit much. Not to mention Dallas/Vancouver now having a weekend game against a rested Seattle...add in the Yellow card suspensions...

Really you haven't made the playoffs in MLS unless you come in the top three in your division.
I think current format needs tinkering. At least give teams a week's rest before kicking off the playoffs.
But the current format rewards teams that do well in regular season. And for 4th and 5th seeds, they just got to work harder in playoffs.

I don't see a problem with the concept of playoffs.

reggie
10-30-2014, 02:15 AM
the whitecaps got TFCed tonight...

TorontoGooner
10-30-2014, 04:58 AM
Yay. Eurocentric POV.
And you're wrong. Playoffs do exist in other league such as Mexico (La Liguilla) and Australia (the Finals). Playoffs have also been used to determine promotion and relegation in quite a few leagues, as well as deciding some European cup qualifiers from leagues.

What works for the rest of the world may not work in North America. I personally find playoffs more interesting, because it means more games have meaning during regular season vs mid table teams not caring last few weeks of the season once they know they aren't playing for a European spot or promotion or relegation.

It's hardly "Eurocentric" in viewpoint when pretty much the whole planet plays the same system.

No relegation, promotion and the whole playoff format are mickey mouse. How can one team say they are the best when the might not have faced a team the same amount of times as anyone else? Also, what happens if the two best teams in the League happen to be in the same conference? They'll never get to be in the final, hence the 'ultimate showdown' will never arise in a cup final.

I dunno, I felt about bad for Vancouver tonight. They were let down in only a way the MLS can provide

ensco
10-30-2014, 05:31 AM
That was an attocious call, and even worse Jason DeVos digging in behind it saying it was the right decision. We all get a little bit dumber for having listened to that..

His pious certainty is really getting to me. That just wasn't insightful whatsoever.

Pookie
10-30-2014, 06:21 AM
A home and home makes more sense from a revenue perspective as well. Reward both teams with an extra home date.

OgtheDim
10-30-2014, 07:12 AM
I suppose people who want home and homes for 3 rounds would accept a final around the 17th of December? There are international dates in the midst of our playoffs.

Fort York Redcoat
10-30-2014, 07:13 AM

Who is we?

I've been holding management to a promise to make the playoffs this year regardless how I feel about the tournament.

The obsession with playoffs is the NA concession. To promise playoffs is to promise not quite the moon.

Any way follow if you want or don't and celebrate or scorn the SS winner. Playoffs will be abolished as soon as the majority disregard them, don't watch them and don't attend them. So...

JuliquE
10-30-2014, 07:23 AM
His pious certainty is really getting to me. That just wasn't insightful whatsoever.
Oh my CHRIST, THIS!

It's one of my biggest pet-peeves; he rarely even QUALIFIES things, with saying "for me," or "imo" -- just arbitrarily opens his snout, like it's the gospel.

PopePouri
10-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Oh my CHRIST, THIS!

It's one of my biggest pet-peeves; he rarely even QUALIFIES things, with saying "for me," or "imo" -- just arbitrarily opens his snout, like it's the gospel.

If you question him, he'll throw the "You haven't played at the highest level" card. He's a fucking troll.

Fort York Redcoat
10-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Just watched the highlights. What a malicious handball. Ah well. Vancouver out of playoffs. They were in there for, what, 3 days? Sweet.

I'm gonna keep posting pics throughout the playoffs to keep my interest piqued, though.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/08/USATSI_7328201_167117770_lowres.jpg

JuliquE
10-30-2014, 11:13 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/08/USATSI_7328201_167117770_lowres.jpg
This hurts, man.

Issey next, then?

ryan
10-30-2014, 11:25 AM
the whitecaps got TFCed tonight...

"Refs hate Canada"

-MB

Beach_Red
10-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Who is we?

I've been holding management to a promise to make the playoffs this year regardless how I feel about the tournament.

The obsession with playoffs is the NA concession. To promise playoffs is to promise not quite the moon.

Any way follow if you want or don't and celebrate or scorn the SS winner. Playoffs will be abolished as soon as the majority disregard them, don't watch them and don't attend them. So...

In sports with no international club games the playoffs are just the Champions League tacked on at the end instead of during the season.

I used to think this was an important discussion but I don't anymore. MLS, and soccer as a spectator sport in North America, has peaked. It can't bridge this international vs. American divide any more than it has and taking it any further in one direction or the other will shrink the league. Let's face it, MLS will never give America anything like it had in the World Series last night.

But MLS is ours, and like you say, as long as people are going to the games those are the games that matter - playoff or regular season or whatever.

Fort York Redcoat
10-30-2014, 12:49 PM
This hurts, man.

Issey next, then?

Nope. Montreal didn't make the playoffs.

Fort York Redcoat
10-30-2014, 12:58 PM
In sports with no international club games the playoffs are just the Champions League tacked on at the end instead of during the season.

I used to think this was an important discussion but I don't anymore. MLS, and soccer as a spectator sport in North America, has peaked. It can't bridge this international vs. American divide any more than it has and taking it any further in one direction or the other will shrink the league. Let's face it, MLS will never give America anything like it had in the World Series last night.

But MLS is ours, and like you say, as long as people are going to the games those are the games that matter - playoff or regular season or whatever.

We sure have discussed this before at different volumes over the years. I think I've accepted my preference isn't the majority. The important difference from past discussions is I'm not going to put down anyone who disagrees with it. I respect your input BR.

So what was it about the World Series that made it so interesting this time around to fans outside of the 2 cities involved or fans of the sport in general? I saw it went to 7 games but that's happened before, right?

-edit- Wiki has it as 37 times it's gone to seven games.

Not that I think the MLS playoff format could by agreed on by everyone and become a rival sports league overnight- just want your perspective.

Beach_Red
10-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Not that I think the MLS playoff format could by agreed on by everyone and become a rival sports league overnight- just want your perspective.

Maybe there needs to be a critical mass of people who love the league. Right now a lot of people seem to follow MLS because it's the league that's here but there is a lot of talk about what's wrong with it. The other sports leagues all have their faults but they seem better at making a celebration of what they do well.

When a team wins the MLS Cup this year some people will cheer and have a parade and a lot of others will say the celebrating should have been for the Supporters' Shield. That's not likely to change anytime soon.

BuSaPuNk
10-30-2014, 01:30 PM
What would people think of a Supporters Shield Winner v MLS Cup winner game after the season?

Not ideal but a idea at least.

Initial B
10-30-2014, 01:40 PM
^ That should be the first game of the following season.

Fort York Redcoat
10-30-2014, 01:55 PM
What would people think of a Supporters Shield Winner v MLS Cup winner game after the season?

Not ideal but a idea at least.

This goes with the "guard of honour" if a team wins the shield before the last game of the season. The 2 ideas are great but go against the league initiative to hype playoffs.

ag futbol
10-30-2014, 01:57 PM
I'd like MLS to adopt Liga MX's playoff format. Two legs, home and away. If after 2 legs the series is tied, the higher seed advances.
Agreed, best mix of quality / elite competition. Playoffs are fine when you don't water them down terribly.

I can see the argument that enough happens over the course of a season where a seamingly "balanced" schedule isn't depending on situations. Maybe it's clear 1st is better than 5th but 1st better than 2nd?

My dream would be a AL-NL World Series type of setup with no crossover in the regular season. Winner of each "league" or top two make the post season to play for it all. Probably need 32 teams to make that a reality... So a ways away yet, but still a cool thought.

QBall
10-30-2014, 03:28 PM
American/Canadian fans and American/Canadian MLS team owners would never accept a 2nd division or relegation. It's not in the American/Canadian sports culture or mindset. Networks aren't going to show 2nd division games, or if they do it will be lost in obscure channel hell. MLS team owners spend too much money to not be part of the big leagues, regardless of how bad their team is doing.

CBTFC
10-30-2014, 06:51 PM
TH14's last career game? Will SKC overcome injuries to key players?

Dun dun dun...

BuSaPuNk
10-30-2014, 07:39 PM
TH14's last career game? Will SKC overcome injuries to key players?

Dun dun dun...

Been pretty dreadful so far.

CBTFC
10-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Well not dreadful. Dwyer had a decent shot that Robles stopped, and a couple of minor chances by NYRB.

One of them should be picking it up int he 2nd half.

MightyDM
10-30-2014, 08:25 PM

with promotion and relegation playoffs from one to two and vice versa TFC would have made the playoffs a few times!

CBTFC
10-30-2014, 08:47 PM
And NYRB take one back in the 76' minute. Tie game. This is getting interesting now.

RealG-TFC
10-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Just as I was going to suggest we snatch up Collin he lets Henry get that pass across.

CBTFC
10-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Wow. BWP left WIDE open.

Fort York Redcoat
10-31-2014, 07:37 AM
So NY fans really turn up for the playoffs. So long to these champions.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/81/8162/JJ2C300Z/posters/jim-rogash-apr-14-2007-toronto-fc-vs-new-england-revolution-paulo-nagamura.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYqtZAdFKYfA-mXOhYvNdhE0fFVvscCC3rxYVSIvHrhJ-7ALt4

Areathrasher
10-31-2014, 08:23 AM
So NY fans really turn up for the playoffs. So long to these champions.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/81/8162/JJ2C300Z/posters/jim-rogash-apr-14-2007-toronto-fc-vs-new-england-revolution-paulo-nagamura.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYqtZAdFKYfA-mXOhYvNdhE0fFVvscCC3rxYVSIvHrhJ-7ALt4

Given there were attendance issues in Dallas too maybe its a midweek game with 3/4 days notice that's the problem and not the fans...

Detroit_TFC
10-31-2014, 08:34 AM
The NY v DC conference semifinal home and away should be tasty. Would have preferred that as a conf final but whatever. Of note - 2nd leg on 11/8 will be on ota NBC right after a Premier League game (QPR v MCFC).

ryan
10-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Given there were attendance issues in Dallas too maybe its a midweek game with 3/4 days notice that's the problem and not the fans...

Terrible excuse. It's the playoffs. A 7 game series found in 3 of the big sports leagues will give 1/2 days notice sometimes, those games will always draw a full crowd. Look at the other poorly supported local team, the Devils, who are bottom 5 during the reg season in attendance, but in the playoffs will fill the house. (IIRC they were at capacity during their entire cup run a couple seasons ago, despite being bottom 5 during the regular season)

Areathrasher
10-31-2014, 09:23 AM
Terrible excuse. It's the playoffs. A 7 game series found in 3 of the big sports leagues will give 1/2 days notice sometimes, those games will always draw a full crowd. Look at the other poorly supported local team, the Devils, who are bottom 5 during the reg season in attendance, but in the playoffs will fill the house. (IIRC they were at capacity during their entire cup run a couple seasons ago, despite being bottom 5 during the regular season)

NHL playoff tickets are included in season ticket packages.

3 of the NFL wildcard games werent sold out last year.

And it's not an excuse, maybe look at it on a deeper level than "lol fans are shit lol"

Thats not directed at anyone in general but a comment on the overall reaction on the net since the Caps Dallas game.

ManUtd4ever
10-31-2014, 09:29 AM
SKC collapsed down the stretch. Not surprised by the result last night.

ryan
10-31-2014, 10:09 AM
NHL playoff tickets are included in season ticket packages.

3 of the NFL wildcard games werent sold out last year.

And it's not an excuse, maybe look at it on a deeper level than "lol fans are shit lol"

Thats not directed at anyone in general but a comment on the overall reaction on the net since the Caps Dallas game.

Well to be fair, fans in that particular area are shit IMO. Prudential Center and RBA aren't often full or noisy.

The NFL isn't the best example, those ticket prices are criminal and the NFL is a better product on TV than it is live, opposite of both MLS and NHL.

I think in Toronto, under the same circumstance, not only would it be full, but we'd have a profitable secondary market for demand.

CBTFC
11-01-2014, 03:10 PM
MLS providing free live stream for Columbus vs NE. Gonna be a chilly one there today.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/live

notthesun
11-01-2014, 03:35 PM
MLS providing free live stream for Columbus vs NE. Gonna be a chilly one there today.

20 minutes in and Drew Fischer has almost completely lost control of this game. Could have been reds on either side already.

OgtheDim
11-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Playoff game intensity. Two midfield stacked teams. Defense....not so much. As we just saw.

Yohan
11-01-2014, 04:07 PM
nice diving header by Charlie Davies. that cunt

CBTFC
11-01-2014, 04:07 PM
That was a pretty entertaining first half. Both teams playing with tons of energy, and a great finish by Davies off the set piece.

Yohan
11-01-2014, 04:22 PM
training ground set piece for Tierney free kick. 2-0 Revs. Really should be up 3-0. Bunbury screwed up 2 wide open looks

SoccMan2
11-01-2014, 04:48 PM
The attendance once again is a joke , barely 10 000 in Dallas the other night, maybe 12 000 in NY in their playoff game and today in Columbus maybe 8000 and one wonders that even if TFC made the playoffs would the attendance be that much better well let's hope it would. There are only a handful of teams in this league where attendance is not an issue but for me there are far too many teams that whenever you watch a game telecast from many MLS stadiums you see more empty seats than seats with fans in them. Moreover, when the playoffs come around the attendance from many of these cities is even worse.

Yohan
11-01-2014, 04:49 PM
4-1 New England. series over

Yohan
11-01-2014, 05:02 PM
NE 4-2 CLB final after dumb handball leading to Higuain panenka.

OgtheDim
11-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Crew not ready mentally. Giving away 4 at home.

FRANKIE65
11-01-2014, 05:49 PM
As a neutral, well maybe prefer the Revs by a bit, it was pretty entertaining. Lots of goals, bit of rough stuff.

jloome
11-01-2014, 05:49 PM
The attendance once again is a joke , barely 10 000 in Dallas the other night, maybe 12 000 in NY in their playoff game and today in Columbus maybe 8000 and one wonders that even if TFC made the playoffs would the attendance be that much better well let's hope it would. There are only a handful of teams in this league where attendance is not an issue but for me there are far too many teams that whenever you watch a game telecast from many MLS stadiums you see more empty seats than seats with fans in them. Moreover, when the playoffs come around the attendance from many of these cities is even worse.

People in n. america complain about "Euro snob" mentality, but every poll (Ives did another a few weeks ago) says most supporters want the Supporters' shield winner to be the champ. There are multiple markets where there just isn't much stomach for playoffs.

FRANKIE65
11-01-2014, 05:59 PM
People in n. america complain about "Euro snob" mentality, but every poll (Ives did another a few weeks ago) says most supporters want the Supporters' shield winner to be the champ. There are multiple markets where there just isn't much stomach for playoffs.

Kind of sad that 100 000 will stand outside for a hockey game, but, as soon as the weather gets cold the futbol crowds diminish. BMO had a game today I would have been there!

OgtheDim
11-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Soccer is a spring and summer game down in the US. It gets cold, people have to think.

There are exceptions - Rio Tinto should be full tonight. But only us, Montreal and SKC would fill an East playoff game right now.

Yohan
11-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Soccer is a spring and summer game down in the US. It gets cold, people have to think.

There are exceptions - Rio Tinto should be full tonight. But only us, Montreal and SKC would fill an East playoff game right now.

On another note, get ready for things that hurt your eyes tomorrow night - Seahawks play at home just before Seattle does.

Seattle at Dallas tomorrow. No handegg lines

OgtheDim
11-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Yup...just noticed I was wrong. And the Seahawk game next week is on the 9th so should be time to airbrush out the NFL stuff before the 10th.

ag futbol
11-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Kind of sad that 100 000 will stand outside for a hockey game, but, as soon as the weather gets cold the futbol crowds diminish. BMO had a game today I would have been there!
When we opened against Seattle in season three people packed BMO for as cold and as rainy of a game as I've ever been to. The issue is TFC has never given anybody a reason to stick around and we don't have 50 years of goodwill like the leafs to fall back on.

OgtheDim
11-01-2014, 08:14 PM
RSL and LAG are getting vintage Petrescu. Letting them play. Entertaining stuff.

Beckerman.

Beast.

Yohan
11-01-2014, 09:04 PM
fun game for a 0-0, even with Petrescu and ARs doing their best to ruin it

Oldtimer
11-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Penado easily MOM. He came up with 6 saves to keep LA with a clean sheet.

OgtheDim
11-01-2014, 09:32 PM
fun game for a 0-0, even with Petrescu and ARs doing their best to ruin it

What? By not calling stuff they ruin it?

Hey, I get there were 2 phantom offsides.

But, most people think of people over reffing when they say the ref is trying to ruin the game.

Petrescu is the under ref.

OgtheDim
11-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Henry with the no look back heal. BWP scores a sitter.

Wouldn't mind Lloyd Sam running down our wing next season.

molenshtain
11-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Wouldn't mind Lloyd Sam running down our wing next season.

he's like Oduro with a brain.

Yohan
11-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Henry with the no look back heal. BWP scores a sitter.

Wouldn't mind Lloyd Sam running down our wing next season.can we get henry for CAM next season? He's a genius

CBTFC
11-02-2014, 05:09 PM
NY the better of the two so far, imo.

OgtheDim
11-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Tournament football, eh?

Fun in so many other ways then league play.

DCU grabs a goal and they are basically tied.

And I could listen to Shep Messing all season.

Richard
11-02-2014, 05:53 PM
can we get henry for CAM next season? He's a genius

I love watching him play and enjoy the game, you just cant teach those instincts. He really is a special player especially now when he has had to change his game.

ag futbol
11-02-2014, 06:36 PM
can we get henry for CAM next season? He's a genius
Agreed. Goes to show if you have a prolific wide player they can offer a similar level of service to a pure AM. Piatti had a similar impact in Montreal once he arrived.

FRANKIE65
11-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Red Bulls dominated. Could /should have been 4, or, 5 - 0. I'd take Henry for a season, or two, anytime. Bradley to Henry to Gilberto has a nice ring to it. Don't care how old he is, still has lots of football in him.

Blizzard
11-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Red Bulls dominated. Could /should have been 4, or, 5 - 0. I'd take Henry for a season, or two, anytime. Bradley to Henry to Gilberto has a nice ring to it. Don't care how old he is, still has lots of football in him.

Ya, Wright-Phillips should have scored at least two more.

Why oh why are you retiring Thierry? That pass on the late goal was absolutely astounding.

Blizzard
11-02-2014, 07:48 PM

It should be a two match total goals series just as the next round is although I suppose an argument could be made that if you want a two game series, you should have finished better than 4th or 5th. It's almost like a repechage.

Blizzard
11-02-2014, 07:55 PM
I hate that. There needs to be some discretion for the ref there. Corner of the box, ball was no real threat, barely touched the arm (if at all).... that is not a play that should decide a game.

Ya, that was atrocious. We've seen much worse not get called both in MLS and internationally. Incident takes place at 5:14.

http://youtu.be/TN-2rOgoREg?t=5m14s

http://youtu.be/a7ox7-npBvQ

Ajax TFC
11-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Why oh why are you retiring Thierry? Is he retiring? I thought it was just that the Red Bulls decided not to offer him an extension (presumably because they're shite).

Yohan
11-02-2014, 08:03 PM
this is some good burn by DCU supporters on NYRB

https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/529056194187776000/photo/1

Qman
11-02-2014, 09:28 PM
who cares about the playoffs. TFC season is toast.
Don't even remember who won the MLS Cup last season.

ag futbol
11-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Crowd in Dallas looks good today. Making up for the mid-week game.

OgtheDim
11-02-2014, 09:46 PM

Then go away and watch paint dry or something.

Me, I'm watching this all cause

a) its fun

b) its good to see what we NEED to get to

Blizzard
11-02-2014, 11:03 PM

a) its fun

Yup. Four very interesting games this weekend.

Leedsoronto
11-02-2014, 11:04 PM

Lol thanks for your well thought out intelligent input to this thread. A nurse will be available soon.

Meanwhile:
Frie comes up with a big save in injury time, should be a good second leg :@)

ManUtd4ever
11-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Add Stefan Frei to the lengthy list of former TFC players that have excelled for their new clubs.

Blizzard
11-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Is he retiring? I thought it was just that the Red Bulls decided not to offer him an extension (presumably because they're shite).

That was an assumption on my part. If he isn't planning to retire and NYRB is letting him go, I want him here!

reggie
11-02-2014, 11:13 PM
never liked that trade...considering that bendik and frei make about the same money.

Hamilton_Red
11-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Nice to see Frei doing well again. He was TFC's best player for a few seasons...probably the best player we have had. I thought for sure he would be Europe bound before those injuries. Smart move to leave... But I wish he was still at TFc.

Yohan
11-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Seattle goals for 65. goals against. 50. Frei has been average at best for Sounders.

FRANKIE65
11-03-2014, 06:11 AM

a) its fun

Yup. Four very interesting games this weekend.

Lol thanks for your well thought out intelligent input to this thread. A nurse will be available soon.

Meanwhile:
Frie comes up with a big save in injury time, should be a good second leg :@)

Who cares...obviously a bunch of us. I'm a Leafs fan, too, doesn't mean I don't watch the NHL play offs when they don't qualify. Love of the game, exciting football, plus the reasons I quoted from the others. That's why I watch.

QBall
11-03-2014, 09:52 AM
DC better bring something special next game and bring it big time or their Cinderella season is going to come to a very disappointing end.

C.Ronaldo
11-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Is Henry the greatest DP thus far?

The man is a machine, and his passion is unmatched. He seems as usefull off field as he is on field.

The level of these playoffs are very high, I am impressed by the two games Iev seen thus far.

Seeing NYRB work the ball out of the back without panic is impressive. Like its another league

JayMolly
11-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Crowd in Dallas looks good today. Making up for the mid-week game.

Great fan support in Dallas but not in Columbus . . . only around 9000?

Yohan
11-03-2014, 11:17 AM
bad weather, plus Ohio State was playing at same time

QBall
11-03-2014, 02:35 PM

Wow, that's Chivas kind of numbers. I wonder what else people in Columbus have better to do. Certainly not watching the Blue Jackets.

CBTFC
11-08-2014, 01:42 PM
DC is gonna have to dig deep to overcome the goal deficit, I think NYRB have this one. Could be quite the swan song for TH.

OgtheDim
11-08-2014, 02:29 PM
So, the Eastern games are on MLS Live but the Western games are blacked out.

Wiziwig will be my friend Monday night it seems.

Yohan
11-08-2014, 02:45 PM
nice crowd at RFK

Yohan
11-08-2014, 03:16 PM
game has been shit for most part, but that was a quality switch of the ball by Espindola and near perfect cross from Kemp for DC goal. 2-1 NY on aggregate

OgtheDim
11-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Yup, pretty disappointing play. NYRB way too timid. All they need is one goal and DCU would need 4.

That and Espindola is way too selfish for a guy who keeps tracking back to get the ball.

OgtheDim
11-08-2014, 03:57 PM
And there we go. Arnaud doesn't track a run (what else is new) and Henry puts it in the perfect spot.

Football is a game where you try to take make your opponents make mistakes and then take advantage. And one of the biggest mistakes in MLS is central midfielders not tracking runs at the top of or into the box.

What I want in midfield partners for Bradley are guys who ALWAYS track. Osorio and Bekker and Creavalle and Warner don't do that consistently enough.

Yohan
11-08-2014, 04:37 PM
and NYRB goes through 3-2 on aggregate

Fort York Redcoat
11-09-2014, 10:15 AM
http://www.soccerfitness.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Nana.jpghttp://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2012/10/Silva620.jpg

Another 2 whose seasons are done.

That NJRB team better enjoy their last season in the relative spotlight...

OgtheDim
11-09-2014, 06:06 PM
And that's Columbus done.

Down 5-2 on agregate at the half, they need to score 4 unanswered to pull this out.

Bigger game is at 7:30.

Yohan
11-09-2014, 06:10 PM
No Higuain killed Columbus. Well, and also lack of a half decent striker. One trick pony Columbus is

OgtheDim
11-09-2014, 06:42 PM
That's not a red. Should be overturned over the winter.

That was head to foot as against foot to head.

molenshtain
11-09-2014, 06:50 PM
No Higuain killed Columbus. Well, and also lack of a half decent striker. One trick pony Columbus is

Not entirely. Their midfield of Meram,Finley Tchani, Trapp and Higuain in the hole was probably the best midfield 5 in the league over the last 3 or so months. Add in a decent backline that includes Parkhurst and a really good goalie in Clark and you have a pretty good team.

jloome
11-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Not entirely. Their midfield of Meram,Finley Tchani, Trapp and Higuain in the hole was probably the best midfield 5 in the league over the last 3 or so months. Add in a decent backline that includes Parkhurst and a really good goalie in Clark and you have a pretty good team.

Tchani is finally fulfilling his potential and Finley is just a great young player; he'll be a U.S. international for sure. EDIT: Trapp's pretty damn talented to. Damn, they get a good striker next year and lookout.

Yohan
11-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Tchani is finally fulfilling his potential and Finley is just a great young player; he'll be a U.S. international for sure. EDIT: Trapp's pretty damn talented to. Damn, they get a good striker next year and lookout.
Trapp is awesome. he's going to be starting DM for USMNT by 2018

Yohan
11-09-2014, 07:57 PM
without Higuain pulling the strings, Crew's individual flaws were more exposed than usual.

Yohan
11-09-2014, 07:58 PM
LA is ripping RSL apart. 2-0 already

OgtheDim
11-09-2014, 07:59 PM
RSL can't handle Donovan.

But the crowd isn't as good as I would have thought. About 2/3 full.

portu
11-09-2014, 08:04 PM
without Higuain pulling the strings, Crew's individual flaws were more exposed than usual.
Higuain apparently done with the Crew. Something to do with losing the captaincy.
Edit: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/11/07/top-prospect-could-choose-buckeyes-this-morning.html

Yohan
11-09-2014, 08:55 PM
LA running riot over RSL. 4-0

Leedsoronto
11-09-2014, 08:55 PM
RSLAKE didn't turn up at all tonight. LA rampant at 4-0

OgtheDim
11-09-2014, 08:58 PM
First year RSL coach making a bit of a hash. Didn't adjust to the outside speed. Didn't sub until WAY too late.

Areathrasher
11-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Wow!

Yohan
11-09-2014, 09:26 PM
that was scary. LA ripped apart RSL and Donovan is in clutch mode again.

Seattle-Dallas monday 1030pm

Detroit_TFC
11-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Haven't seen RSL wrecked like that in a long time. Next few seasons may be rough for them as they cycle out the older players.

sashavukelich
11-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Haven't seen RSL wrecked like that in a long time. Next few seasons may be rough for them as they cycle out the older players.

That was an absolute massacre...5-0 LA, LD hat trick. jeeeeeeeez.

Also..where is everyone seeing the rumour about Higuain?

jloome
11-10-2014, 02:39 AM
That was an absolute massacre...5-0 LA, LD hat trick. jeeeeeeeez.

Also..where is everyone seeing the rumour about Higuain?

In the Columbus Dispatch today. Apparently he was upset that he was stripped of the captaincy at the beginning of the season (and with good reason, since he's been huge); Columbus' coach went with Parkhurst, who he doubtless knew from his New England and Scandinavia runs. Crew are also looking at Diskerud and tried to sign him already, and he's basically the midfield playmaker, so Higuain, who is an option year, wants to play for a coach who appreciates him. Dude is pretty much a lock for 15-20 points every season and sets up tons.

Fort York Redcoat
11-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Tchani is finally fulfilling his potential

http://africansinthemls.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/toto2.jpg

Last goal of their season. Too bad it didn't mean more.

Fort York Redcoat
11-10-2014, 10:17 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2011/05/07/plata_584.jpg

I didn't see this guy in the highlights. Hope for his sake he gets as much service next season.

Yohan
11-10-2014, 01:30 PM
1200 NYRB supporter made the trip to RFK

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2014/11/south-ward-takes-rfk-1200-red-bulls-supporters-travel-dc-semifinal

Brooker
11-10-2014, 02:28 PM
They're playing away at DC in the playoffs and they only got 1,200 seats?

jloome
11-10-2014, 02:32 PM
They're playing away at DC in the playoffs and they only got 1,200 seats?

For MLS? That's a huge traveling audience.

OgtheDim
11-10-2014, 03:27 PM
IIRC, at the MLS Cup Final, RSL got only 1000 for the whole of their team, including staff, families etc.

IF the game ends up at NER or Seattle, that number should be bigger.

Yohan
11-10-2014, 10:39 PM
http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=289493&part=sports

Dallas @ Seattle now

portu
11-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Anyone know why Fernandez is sitting on the bench? Great GK imo.

Yohan
11-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Revs FO is providing free bus trip for 850 NE supporters for their game at New York

anto7
11-12-2014, 08:02 PM
I have really enjoyed watching these play-off games, I have watched most of them and for the most part they have been pretty exciting matches. Absoloutely love watching Henry and Keane play, they both still have it and could easily play a couple more years with no problem. Really hoping that they get to face off against each other in the final and if I had to choose I would like to see Henry win the cup and finish is career on a high, he deserves to. That said I would also like to see Donavan end his career with a cup win too. Despite his haters there is no denying what a great servant he has been to the game and MLS in particular.

Brooker
11-12-2014, 10:54 PM
For MLS? That's a huge traveling audience.

I'm saying they shoulda been given more seats. Huge/historic rivalry, playoffs...

Coulda been even more crazy.

jazzy
11-12-2014, 11:19 PM
I have really enjoyed watching these play-off games, I have watched most of them and for the most part they have been pretty exciting matches. Absoloutely love watching Henry and Keane play, they both still have it and could easily play a couple more years with no problem. Really hoping that they get to face off against each other in the final and if I had to choose I would like to see Henry win the cup and finish is career on a high, he deserves to. That said I would also like to see Donavan end his career with a cup win too. Despite his haters there is no denying what a great servant he has been to the game and MLS in particular.

nice post ...I agree , love the majority of play-off matches .....I to wouldn't mind Red Bulls winning because I have serious doubts about their success in the future , what with NYCFC.....And it is definitely love/hate towards Henry but I'm big enough to admire his immense quality . P.S. doesn't seem TFC is even on the same page as these teams after watching the excellent talent of teams in the play-offs .

QBall
11-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Anyone know why there is a two week delay between the end of the quarter finals and the start of the semi-finals? What a way to kill momentum in the interest of the MLS playoffs.

Yohan
11-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Fifa int break

anto7
11-13-2014, 05:34 PM
nice post ...I agree , love the majority of play-off matches .....I to wouldn't mind Red Bulls winning because I have serious doubts about their success in the future , what with NYCFC.....And it is definitely love/hate towards Henry but I'm big enough to admire his immense quality . P.S. doesn't seem TFC is even on the same page as these teams after watching the excellent talent of teams in the play-offs .

Thanks. I agree with you, TFC seems so far behind compared to these teams. One of the biggest differences I see is how comfortable on the ball the central defenders appear to be on these teams. Whenever Caldwell, Henry or Hagglund have the ball at their feet they look so awkward in comparison and that's why they often resort to just hoofing it down field rather aimlessly.

Yohan
11-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Revs fo now providing 1150 seats on buses for free

Jack
11-15-2014, 10:33 AM
These matches have been entertaining, for sure. Henry is my pick for best DP ever (not a stretch, I know). The guy is just really good. I hate to admit it, but I've actually enjoyed watching the Red Bulls matches. It's good to watch these games and see how good the top level of the league is. Too bad MLS Live won't show the conference finals and MLS Cup match.

Yohan
11-19-2014, 01:07 AM
Conference Finals 1st leg

Sunday, November 23rd, 2014

New York Red Bulls vs New England Revolution- 1:30PM EST NBC

LA Galaxy vs Seattle Sounders- 5:00PM EST ESPN

ensco
11-19-2014, 06:36 AM
^Why is MLS putting these head to head against the NFL? These are NFL TV markets, these games should go Saturday against college football.

OgtheDim
11-19-2014, 06:56 AM
Patriots and Seahawks playing at home the same time as those games.

Yohan
11-19-2014, 06:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o6B6G9VkU4#t=120

ryan
11-20-2014, 12:32 PM
The MLS playoffs are still happening right? #TheScheduleStillSucks

Initial B
11-20-2014, 01:02 PM
To be fair, the entire football world has been at a standstill the last 10 days for friendlies. Watching the national teams has hopefully still kept fans engaged and prepared for the home stretch.

TFC07
11-20-2014, 04:23 PM
I would love to know how's TV ratings for MLS playoff games in Canada (including Vancouver's game).

jazzy
11-20-2014, 11:04 PM
These matches have been entertaining, for sure. Henry is my pick for best DP ever (not a stretch, I know). The guy is just really good. I hate to admit it, but I've actually enjoyed watching the Red Bulls matches. It's good to watch these games and see how good the top level of the league is. Too bad MLS Live won't show the conference finals and MLS Cup match.

the way it stands now ...I can watch these two games coming up Sunday.....on MLS Live........registered in Canada..................refused from New York...we'll see :)

ag futbol
11-21-2014, 08:02 AM
The MLS playoffs are still happening right? #TheScheduleStillSucks
Could not agree more. Is anyone still paying attention?

SoccMan2
11-23-2014, 01:56 PM
New York Red Bulls vs New England Revolution on now from Red Bull Arena in New Jersey on now on the full NBC Network, looks like a sold out Red Bull Arena .

jloome
11-23-2014, 02:00 PM
New York Red Bulls vs New England Revolution on now from Red Bull Arena in New Jersey on now on the full NBC Network, looks like a sold out Red Bull Arena .

Good crowd. That's what it should look like.
NBC probably wrangled Sunday deliberately to try and increase its NFL night share by offering a daytime alternative to a small segment of early NFL game watchers.

jloome
11-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Hate the Shite Bulls, but want Eckersley to do well. Am torn. He's been playing lately like he did when he joined us; amazing what a coach installing tactical discipline and benching a guy for a while can do.

Yohan
11-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Hate the Shite Bulls, but want Eckersley to do well. Am torn. He's been playing lately like he did when he joined us; amazing what a coach installing tactical discipline and benching a guy for a while can do.
still can't cross for shite. apparently he got engaged his Canadian girl?

Yohan
11-23-2014, 02:13 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3Je878IMAEy0Hi.jpg:large

Yohan
11-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Bunbury. 1-0 NE

portu
11-23-2014, 02:24 PM
This new york - new england game is excellent

Yohan
11-23-2014, 02:32 PM
BWP offside I think on that goal, but nice second effort from Luyindula on the ground. 1-1

Leedsoronto
11-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Yup off side Lol "must have a TFC ref" only 1 player back, goalie was forward of the play

OgtheDim
11-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Jones is creating a new position for MLS - power Mid.

MVP next season.

Goal looked offside to me but NYRB defence is too slow for rampaging forwards like that. Which reminds me....lets not get another cart horse to go with Caldwell next season.

Yohan
11-23-2014, 07:18 PM
1-0 LA final.
someone forgot to do the homework b/c Petke and BWP both didn't know BWP is now suspended for the 2nd leg for that stupid yellow card

ensco
11-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Jones is creating a new position for MLS - power Mid.

MVP next season.

Goal looked offside to me but NYRB defence is too slow for rampaging forwards like that. Which reminds me....lets not get another cart horse to go with Caldwell next season.

Why did Klinsmann play Jones as DM and Bradley as AM? Now that we see Jones' game, that is seriously baffling.

jloome
11-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Why did Klinsmann play Jones as DM and Bradley as AM? Now that we see Jones' game, that is seriously baffling.
He looks good against MLS but jones isn't fast or balanced enough to be the guy going forward at the intl level; neither is Bradley, but then it seems to me from watching how klinsmann sets up and who he uses that he has no respect for his players.

gmacpheetfc
11-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Any idea what the tv ratings were?

Detroit_TFC
11-24-2014, 10:43 AM
I really enjoyed the RBNY v NER game, despite the ref losing control.

The ref killed the second leg though. Not having BWP is death knell for RB.

Fort York Redcoat
11-24-2014, 10:44 AM

Probably less than this coming weekend with the second legs which is a shame since NE is hosting. More eyes to watch the gridlines...

Auzzy
11-24-2014, 11:34 AM
I really enjoyed the RBNY v NER game, despite the ref losing control.

The ref killed the second leg though. Not having BWP is death knell for RB.

I agree with the ref having no control -- and both teams (NY from the start) did their best to play uncontrollably. But as for BWP being out for the 2nd leg -- there's absolutely no excuse for both BWP & the NY coach not being aware that he would be suspended for another yellow card. So I'm not going to blame that on the ref. It was a completely boneheaded unnecessary play by BWP, easily avoided if he and his coach had known the rules. (It wasn't some yellow due to semi-accidental rough play in the thick of things, where you say, oh well shit happens.) Yes his yellow was also somewhat a judgement call -- but I don't want the ref to have to worry exactly which players might have yellows from previous games, and to call the game differently as a result.

Yohan
11-24-2014, 12:12 PM
I agree with the ref having no control -- and both teams (NY from the start) did their best to play uncontrollably. But as for BWP being out for the 2nd leg -- there's absolutely no excuse for both BWP & the NY coach not being aware that he would be suspended for another yellow card. So I'm not going to blame that on the ref. It was a completely boneheaded unnecessary play by BWP, easily avoided if he and his coach had known the rules. (It wasn't some yellow due to semi-accidental rough play in the thick of things, where you say, oh well shit happens.) Yes his yellow was also somewhat a judgement call -- but I don't want the ref to have to worry exactly which players might have yellows from previous games, and to call the game differently as a result.
thought Chapman had his hands tied for most of the game. both NE and NY were rough. can't really argue about the cards except couple at the end of the game, but by that point, Chapman had to call it really strict to keep some semblance of control. I thought Jermaine jones should have been red carded for reckless tackle from behind on Dax McCarty in first half.

Areathrasher
11-24-2014, 12:44 PM

I'm seeing 580k on the twitter for the Revs game.

Yohan
11-24-2014, 01:51 PM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1511155_10152538566263230_8380707974250078360_n.jp g?oh=e76f37bb5084fff8a1bd2e2810336f7d&oe=5513CBF0

Yohan
11-24-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm seeing 580k on the twitter for the Revs game.
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-11-22-23-2014.html

BuSaPuNk
11-24-2014, 02:32 PM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1511155_10152538566263230_8380707974250078360_n.jp g?oh=e76f37bb5084fff8a1bd2e2810336f7d&oe=5513CBF0

Nice to see a big group of traveling fans for the Revs. Hopefully they can get there ahit together for a SS Stadium. People just don't want to venture to Foxboro.

Kaz
11-24-2014, 08:57 PM
This is what happens when the have such a large gap... I totally forgot about the games yesterday.

jloome
11-24-2014, 09:04 PM
This is what happens when the have such a large gap... I totally forgot about the games yesterday.

I check MLssoccer.com like, twenty times a day. I kid not. I suppose that qualifies as addicted. Can't miss anything if you're following the whole shebang.

Kaz
11-25-2014, 01:17 PM
I check MLssoccer.com like, twenty times a day. I kid not. I suppose that qualifies as addicted. Can't miss anything if you're following the whole shebang.

Ya but there was nearly two weeks between and I lost interest when TFC imploded yet again.

I want to catch the playoffs I just was busy and lost track......

2 weeks in the play offs is a long time... I'm sure NFL,CFL,NBA, MLB and NHL don't have 2 week breaks in the play offs.

FRANKIE65
11-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Ya but there was nearly two weeks between and I lost interest when TFC imploded yet again.

I want to catch the playoffs I just was busy and lost track......

2 weeks in the play offs is a long time... I'm sure NFL,CFL,NBA, MLB and NHL don't have 2 week breaks in the play offs.

NFL...two weeks between conference finals and Super Bowl. BRUTALLY long time in between games.

Didn't catch the LA/Seattle game, but, I did watch the Jersey Energy Drinks/Revs...pretty damn entertaining match overall. Lots of chances, some spirited play/rough stuff (ref was getting a little card happy at the end) all, in all, a damn good way to spend a couple hours.

Kaz
11-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Well that shows how much I know about any other sport... and I should assume that then. (though that is the final game)

ag futbol
11-25-2014, 04:15 PM
People care about the NFL though, it's an event. MLS? Completely different proposition. They are still trying to sell the sport (or even justify a bigger tv contract).

I stopped watching ages ago. Too convoluted and too spaced out.

Yohan
11-25-2014, 05:36 PM
People care about the NFL though, it's an event. MLS? Completely different proposition. They are still trying to sell the sport (or even justify a bigger tv contract).

I got annoyed with commercials like every 2 mins

Yohan
11-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Rookie of the Year: Tesho Akindele
Defender of the Year: Chad Marshall
Ref of the Year: Mark Geiger

ag futbol
11-25-2014, 07:05 PM
I got annoyed with commercials like every 2 mins
Well fair enough, I won't argue the merits of the product. Just pointing out that NFL has the luxury of a big brand and creating enough elbow room to play whenever they please.

They can get away with two weeks because it is literally non-stop hype, sponsor schmoozing, and showcase. MLS to date can't even solve the problem of how to get fans to show up for a weeknight game.

QBall
11-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Unless Henry plays the game of his life (seeing how he doesn't like to play on artificial turf and with his impending retirement I seriously doubt he will) with BWP sitting out the second leg it looks unlikely New Jersey will make it. So it looks like a NE-LA final (unless Seattle has a miracle up their sleeves). I doubt that's the final MLS wanted from a TV ratings perspective, but I think it will make for a great match.

Yohan
11-26-2014, 05:41 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/mlscup/2014/news/article/2014/11/25/canada-only-watch-seattle-sounders-vs-la-galaxy-live-mlssoccercom-sunday

Seattle vs LA game free stream Canada only

Jack
11-27-2014, 03:48 PM
The NFL gap is bridged by it being talked about all over the place, on the radio and on TV, while the MLS gap is bridge by jloome checking their website 20 times a day. I admit, I lost track, as well :(

CBTFC
11-29-2014, 01:58 PM
So I wonder how many are expected for the game today...prob at least 30k, though I would be impressed with 35-40

SoccMan2
11-29-2014, 04:01 PM
1-0 New York late in first half they need to win by 2 goals New York that is, game on now on TSN 2, looks like a nice crowd in New England.

Yohan
11-29-2014, 04:43 PM
2-1 NY. 3-3 on aggregate. fun game.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/11/29/mls-cup-playoff-format-2015-changes

and apparently playoffs will expand to 12 teams for 2015. and TFC will still fail to make the playoffs

ensco
11-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Henry shaking his head show be the new MLS logo.

mowe
11-29-2014, 06:18 PM
2-1 NY. 3-3 on aggregate. fun game.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/11/29/mls-cup-playoff-format-2015-changes

and apparently playoffs will expand to 12 teams for 2015. and TFC will still fail to make the playoffs

If TFC can't be top 6 in a ten team East with no SKC, HOU and two expansion teams then we should honestly fold.

Yohan
11-29-2014, 06:24 PM
http://forums.bigsoccer.com/data/avatars/l/172/172234.jpg?1411083804

Henry shaking his head show be the new MLS logo.

Yohan
11-29-2014, 07:18 PM
lol Henry

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/11/29/ne-vs-ny-thierry-henry-postgame-comments-mls-cup-playoffs-presented-att

MightyDM
11-29-2014, 07:46 PM
There was a goal chance ruled out, I think for New England, where the ball was deflected by the defender to a player in an offside position. Sound familiar? The commentators said "Clearly offside. No debate there". Except when it is TFC, of course.....

TFC07
11-29-2014, 07:52 PM
If TFC can't be top 6 in a ten team East with no SKC, HOU and two expansion teams then we should honestly fold.

I wouldn't be surprised to see those teams (especially NYCFC) make it to the playoffs in their first season. Those two teams are making high profile signings while they're manage by two very good coaches.

Houston is crap and they're on decline while SKC got exposed this season and starting to show some signs of declining (it's only going to get worst for them when bigger clubs sign more DP's with extra DP slots). So I would say East got better not worst by losing those two teams while gaining two new teams that making big time signings.

OgtheDim
11-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Teams take time to gel. You can't just throw a team together and expect them to win.

Initial B
11-29-2014, 11:29 PM
^ Sure you can. TFC can't because they're TFC.

ensco
11-29-2014, 11:34 PM
http://forums.bigsoccer.com/data/avatars/l/172/172234.jpg?1411083804

Hilarious! Well done.

Prof
11-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Your loss. Some great games have been played.

Fort York Redcoat
11-30-2014, 12:37 PM

I don't care about the NFL. Even the people that do have different reasons than it being an event. Gambling being one. I don't watch the playoffs (any playoffs actually) but I try to keep up on what our league is doing.

I'm glad they got rid of the grid lines for the big NE match. It's the way it should be.

Gringo Starr
11-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Is there a way to watch tonight's game on TV? Tsn is showing a tea cup

Ajax TFC
11-30-2014, 04:49 PM
^Then watch the tea cup. It's the most prestigious tea cup of the year!

Cuppy
11-30-2014, 04:59 PM
agreed

ag futbol
11-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Your loss. Some great games have been played.

I don't care about the NFL. Even the people that do have different reasons than it being an event. Gambling being one. I don't watch the playoffs (any playoffs actually) but I try to keep up on what our league is doing.

I'm glad they got rid of the grid lines for the big NE match. It's the way it should be.
So way back at the start of this conversation somebody said that the NFL takes a two week break before the superbowl and that somehow means that large breaks in play during the playoffs shouldn't be an issue for MLS. I disagreed. Yeah, I noted personally that I wasn't watching, but that really wasn't the point, nor is it that anybody on this forum likes MLS vs the NFL (not exactly surprising considering it's a supporters board).

And as far as the NFL audience goes: you can subsegment it any way you want they are larger, period.

Gringo Starr
11-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Nothing is prestigious if it involves Hamilton...plus I'm hoping to see Frei in the MLS cup. Enjoy the earl Grey, may your team win, unless you like the ticats

Ajax TFC
11-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Nothing is prestigious if it involves Hamilton...plus I'm hoping to see Frei in the MLS cup. Enjoy the earl Grey, may your team win, unless you like the ticats
Generally, I dislike Calgary and everything that has to do with it. Specifically, I dislike the TiCats. So I can relate to your POV. But it's still the Grey Cup. But enjoy the Stefan Frei.

(Though I'd like to point out the irony of you being against watching a championship with Hamilton in it, yet watching the Sounders... g:D)

Gringo Starr
11-30-2014, 08:37 PM
Generally, I dislike Calgary and everything that has to do with it. Specifically, I dislike the TiCats. So I can relate to your POV. But it's still the Grey Cup. But enjoy the Stefan Frei.

(Though I'd like to point out the irony of you being against watching a championship with Hamilton in it, yet watching the Sounders... g:D)

I kinda like Nenshi and the stampede but mostly enjoy the fact that Calgary is far enough away that the western whining is barely audible in Toronto. I'd watch to see Hamilton lose but can't say I want to see Calgary win either.

rooting for the Sounders, not my proudest moment but hopefully I'm gonna watch Frei end Landycakes career.

Yohan
11-30-2014, 09:39 PM

free stream for SEA-LA now

QBall
11-30-2014, 09:57 PM

free stream for SEA-LA now

Feed is so choppy. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

QBall
11-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Seattle up 1-0 and they look like a team possessed.

Yohan
11-30-2014, 10:08 PM
2-1 Seattle on aggregate

QBall
11-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Frei with a nice save. Hard to wish him anything but luck however he further supports the notion that if you want your career to blossom get traded from TFC. :(

Gringo Starr
11-30-2014, 10:31 PM
I don't watch a lot of non TFC MLS but these playoff games have been enjoyable to watch. By the time we get our shit together this league is going to be pretty competitive and that much more difficult to win in...Did they say Seattle has already played in 16 playoff games?

QBall
11-30-2014, 10:42 PM
LA needs to score one to completely change this game or Seattle needs to score one ton put it away. This will go down to the wire. At least the feed is better for some reason.

QBall
11-30-2014, 10:45 PM
Wow, Juninho killed that one. Let's see if Seattle can come back.

Leedsoronto
11-30-2014, 10:46 PM
That's the away goal got....game on !!

Ajax TFC
11-30-2014, 11:03 PM
I don't like Sounders fans, but I have to admit that their version of the Horto Magiko sounds pretty awesome.

Yohan
11-30-2014, 11:29 PM
and Landycakes gets a chance to go out on a high note. LA vs NE for MLS Cup final

Detroit_TFC
11-30-2014, 11:33 PM
I'd say the away goals rule has worked as intended. As a whole the conf finals games were all high intensity. The NE and RBNY series was outstanding.

Fort York Redcoat
12-01-2014, 08:43 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/04/RichardEckersley.jpg

Crazy game. Ginja Ninja done for the year. He seems to have settled into the roster finally. Let's see if he stays in Joysey.

Fort York Redcoat
12-01-2014, 08:50 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2011/09/Frei.jpg

So this guy got to experience playoffs.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/09/NE_Revolution_08-30-13-57.jpg

Did this guy play at all?

MartinUtd
12-01-2014, 10:51 AM
So it's either Bunbury or the Landon Donovan show?

I guess that's better than Seattle... I think.

ryan
12-01-2014, 01:53 PM
LA in another final, can't wait............

QBall
12-01-2014, 02:11 PM
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-11-22-23-2014.html

Ratings for second leg of eastern final are half of that of the first game. Neither the Patriots nor any of the New York football teams were playing that day. Was it because of the channel that it was being shown on?

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-11-29-30-2014.html

QBall
12-01-2014, 02:18 PM
So it's either Bunbury or the Landon Donovan show?

I guess that's better than Seattle... I think.

Bunbury? Nah, he tends to fade into the background. Jones vs Donovan makes for better press, especially considering MLS is going to have to market the hell of this match-up to attract American eyeballs to the screen outside of of New England and LA.

MartinUtd
12-01-2014, 02:25 PM
For sure that's how it'll be marketed but I personally find both of them to be among the most detestable in MLS. Add in EJ, douche face and big bird and we've got half the of the all time cunt XI.

Maybe not... too many strikers.

Red CB Toronto
12-01-2014, 03:48 PM
The LegenD

Gringo Starr
12-01-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm guessing this game gets big ratings throughout the U.S. simply because of it being Landycakes' last. Like him or not he's done a lot for the game in the states, Pretty good story line for MLS to milk. On the bright side with the game in L.A. It will be on grass and not carpet. This is one of those finals where I don't care to see either win but based on the last round expect to see a pretty good game.