PDA

View Full Version : MLS playoffs 2014

Pages : 1 [2]

Blizzard
12-01-2014, 07:19 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/09/NE_Revolution_08-30-13-57.jpg

Did this guy play at all?

:)

A pretty decent year for Max all in all. Ten goals in league with three more in CCL. I think we could have found a place for him.

http://www.espnfc.com/player/158081/maximiliano-urruti

Red CB Toronto
12-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Sunday is also about one of TFC's fan favourites, "Enter The Gargan ", would be cool to see Dan raise the cup !!

MartinUtd
12-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Was he a fan favourite? I thought we were all taking the piss.

Fort York Redcoat
12-02-2014, 09:45 AM

Nope. I enjoyed some of his play. He obviously had enough to see him keep a starting job with a top MLS side.

T-boy
12-02-2014, 01:36 PM

I also thought that! He was definitely an actual favourite with some fans! (more to do with his passion than his play, I suspect).

Ajax TFC
12-02-2014, 07:30 PM
^that, and people loved his name.

The other problem with him while he was here was that he was way overpaid for what he brings. His salary at LA is about half of what he was getting when he was here.

jazzy
12-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Nope. I enjoyed some of his play. He obviously had enough to see him keep a starting job with a top MLS side.

and he made a pittance......hopefully he's making a bit more . I was at a Hugo Boss charity , he was there , when he was here and looking at the outrageous prices of the clothes I felt embarrassed for him , no way he could ever afford those clothes on MLS journeyman wages . Nice guy from Philly . He's certainly lasted , and in LA.

Ajax TFC
12-03-2014, 12:01 PM
^that, and people loved his name.

The other problem with him while he was here was that he was way overpaid for what he brings. His salary at LA is about half of what he was getting when he was here.
Just looked up his salary numbers from the time he was here. Made 40k in the first season and 70k in 2011. So not really making much impact on the cap at all. Yet IIRC people were complaining about him being paid too much (maybe I was one of them. I thought he was making ~90k when he was here).

Carts
12-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Sunday is also about one of TFC's fan favourites, "Enter The Gargan ", would be cool to see Dan raise the cup !!

LOVE the Gargan!

ag futbol
12-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Just looked up his salary numbers from the time he was here. Made 40k in the first season and 70k in 2011. So not really making much impact on the cap at all. Yet IIRC people were complaining about him being paid too much (maybe I was one of them. I thought he was making ~90k when he was here).
I don't know how anyone can fuss over 50k vs 90 etc... At the lower end these guys must have one foot out the door in terms of pro soccer, especially at Gargan's age.

He's a stereotypical cap saving MLS fullback.

FRANKIE65
12-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Was just checking TSN's schedule for Sunday...looks like TSN 4 (regular TSN) is showing the final along with TSN 1...it's a frickin' miracle. Would be a shame to watch it on a crappy stream...unless of course MLS offered a free one.

bones
12-04-2014, 03:20 PM
LA in another final, can't wait............

^^^ hosting

double yeay yippy woohoo...yawn. Hate this newer format of "we're rewarding best team in the finals, and #$%^%ing all the other fans that might want to come watch a finals"

RealG-TFC
12-04-2014, 03:35 PM
^^^ hosting

double yeay yippy woohoo...yawn. Hate this newer format of "we're rewarding best team in the finals, and #$%^%ing all the other fans that might want to come watch a finals"

It is rather silly. Either have a neutral venue final, or spread the final over two legs.

Yohan
12-04-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm ok with highest seed hosting mls cup. Makes regular season more relevant

bones
12-04-2014, 03:58 PM
I really used to enjoy making a trip around the MLS finals. Usually you can make it a multi-sport weekend if you know where it is with enough time to plan. Our best was funny enough in LA: MLS Finals, 2 Kings hockey games, 1 Lakers game, LA Auto show, tour of LA and we almost squeezed in an NFL game in 4 days.

Yohan
12-04-2014, 04:13 PM
I really used to enjoy making a trip around the MLS finals. Usually you can make it a multi-sport weekend if you know where it is with enough time to plan. Our best was funny enough in LA: MLS Finals, 2 Kings hockey games, 1 Lakers game, LA Auto show, tour of LA and we almost squeezed in an NFL game in 4 days.yeah, but it's not about you and other minority of traveling fans.

too much money involved with MLS Cup to not risk a sell out. 2010 final in Toronto not being sold out hurt pretty bad for MLS, financially and image wise.

bones
12-04-2014, 05:36 PM

Even in an unbalanced schedule?

Yohan
12-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Even in an unbalanced schedule?
yeah. unbalanced schedule actually works in favour of the East as of now

RealG-TFC
12-04-2014, 06:54 PM

If we are worried about rewarding the highest seed, we may as well cut the crap and get rid of the playoffs altogether.

Highest seed should just get to host the second leg of the Final. That way we get two sellouts and not only one.

Yohan
12-05-2014, 12:46 AM
Why is Landycakes getting molested by Jones?

http://i.imgur.com/m0Mwitv.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Because Jones finally saw the fountain pic...

Oldtimer
12-05-2014, 09:16 AM
If we are worried about rewarding the highest seed, we may as well cut the crap and get rid of the playoffs altogether.

Highest seed should just get to host the second leg of the Final. That way we get two sellouts and not only one.

MLS is not the only football league in the world to have playoffs, and playoffs is part of North American sporting tradition. Just because the EPL/Serie A/etc. don't have it doesn't mean it's not legitimate. Mexico has playoffs, and Brazil had them until 2003.

RealG-TFC
12-05-2014, 12:35 PM
MLS is not the only football league in the world to have playoffs, and playoffs is part of North American sporting tradition. Just because the EPL/Serie A/etc. don't have it doesn't mean it's not legitimate. Mexico has playoffs, and Brazil had them until 2003.

Not sure where I mentioned any other league in my post but thank you for bringing up Mexico's Liguilla which employs a 2 legged Final which was precisely what I was advocating for.

jloome
12-05-2014, 12:50 PM

And yet polls of MLS fans in successive years on their own site have favored single table for the title.

That doesn't mean getting rid of playoffs, you just use them to award a cup instead of the MLS title; to me it just makes sense to award it to the team that performed best over the longest portion of the season.

Initial B
12-05-2014, 02:56 PM
And yet polls of MLS fans in successive years on their own site have favored single table for the title.
But that's not possible unless you either limit the number of teams or increase the number of games. I think 34 is about the most the league can fit into our seasonal climate. Most cities in North America want to be considered "Major League", hence the need for more than 20 teams. I'm thinking MLS will stabilize at 28 teams for a while (since there is more interest in franchises than there are spots available in a 24 team league), moving those teams around to new locations if required. For teams to play each other at least once in a season and also have home-and-away rivalries, you'll have to divide the clubs into conferences and divisions. Once you get beyond 32 teams, you'll pretty much have to play one game against each team per season anyways, so the upper limit on League size is about 35 teams.

Anyways, the playoffs will probably be held at 12 teams since that matches the NFL's format (so it's expandable all the way to 32 teams if they want [Hmmm, 8 divisions of 4 teams each? That would be just like our own little World Cup!]). The top two teams in each conference will have a bye while the next 4 teams will have a play-in round. Then the rest of the format will continue the same as it is now.

But no matter the format, it really shouldn't concern us since TFC will never make the playoffs. :tongue:

OgtheDim
12-05-2014, 03:07 PM
And yet polls of MLS fans in successive years on their own site....

Self selected poll - worthless.

CBTFC
12-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Meeting up with some friends to watch the game at Football Factory.

Where's everyone else tuning in?

Hieberrr
12-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Meeting up with some friends to watch the game at Football Factory.

Where's everyone else tuning in?
From the comfort of my own home. YEAH!

FRANKIE65
12-07-2014, 11:55 AM
From the comfort of my own home. YEAH!

Same here. Popping open a fine Belgian beer, and, watching some football.

Richard
12-07-2014, 01:15 PM
I hope LA wins the cup today as I think they have been the best in the league.

FRANKIE65
12-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Holy shit... TSN...enough of the women's curling. The match is over, switch to the football already!!

Beach_Red
12-07-2014, 03:29 PM

That doesn't mean getting rid of playoffs, you just use them to award a cup instead of the MLS title; to me it just makes sense to award it to the team that performed best over the longest portion of the season.

This is the biggest dilemma facing MLS - do they want to appal to these fans and remain at this level of popularity (and the current level of TV ratings) or do they want to be as popular as other North American leagues?

ensco
12-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Mullins having an unreal game.

He was taken right after Hagglund. :ack2:

Yohan
12-07-2014, 06:33 PM
https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/541729857043173376/photo/1

lulz

FRANKIE65
12-07-2014, 06:52 PM
https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/541729857043173376/photo/1

lulz

LOL...reminded me of Bendik picking up Felipe in the Montreal game.

Wasn't the prettiest game, but, some decent drama in the end.
Now let's get TFC there!

JayMolly
12-08-2014, 10:44 AM
During the game yesterday, ESPN announced coverage of their first MLS game in March 2015.
Last year the schedule was released in November . . .
We haven't found the 2015 schedule anywhere. Does anyone know where the new schedule may be found?

gdg_9
12-08-2014, 11:11 AM
During the game yesterday, ESPN announced coverage of their first MLS game in March 2015.
Last year the schedule was released in November . . .
We haven't found the 2015 schedule anywhere. Does anyone know where the new schedule may be found?

They likely haven't announced any schedules for next year yet, because there isn't a new CBA yet.
Still potential of a lock-out causing delayed start to the season.

habstfc
12-09-2014, 01:55 AM
Did anyone watch the game. I completely lost interest during that two week break. I thought the mls cup was Saturday not sunday. Any word on ratings? If beckham couldn't break a million in the US doubt this years game could have.

Yohan
12-09-2014, 02:01 AM
Did anyone watch the game. I completely lost interest during that two week break. I thought the mls cup was Saturday not sunday. Any word on ratings? If beckham couldn't break a million in the US doubt this years game could have.
0.6 rating

JayMolly
12-09-2014, 10:49 AM
They likely haven't announced any schedules for next year yet, because there isn't a new CBA yet.
Still potential of a lock-out causing delayed start to the season.

^
Good point. Thanks.

Yohan
12-09-2014, 06:47 PM
http://www.empireofsoccer.com/increase-viewers-viewership-30763/

molenshtain
12-09-2014, 06:49 PM
I think we'll see a really big rise in ratings with the arrival of NYCFC and the new TV deal. Much more incentive for everyone to market the shit out of their games.

prizby
12-09-2014, 08:24 PM
http://www.empireofsoccer.com/increase-viewers-viewership-30763/

how about canadian ratings

QBall
12-10-2014, 12:10 AM
how about canadian ratings

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--raptors-on-a-roll-194124449.html