Houston Dynamo
Sporting Kansas City
LA Galaxy
Portland Timbers
Real Salt Lake
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC

So the "best" club in the East moves away. 2 teams are expansion.

East gets even easier....

Wagner
10-27-2014, 12:53 PM
We're going to tear this conference apart ;)

Areathrasher
10-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Man, the East will be a mess next year.

Very good chance for us to break the no playoff streak. Or be a bigger mess. Who knows.

Canary10
10-27-2014, 01:05 PM
New York City FC will probably destroy us in their first season.

Areathrasher
10-27-2014, 01:17 PM
There gonna have issues with squad depth and injury concerns over Lampard.

They are no sure bet.

TFC07
10-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Another positive for eastern conference teams is that they don't have to travel as much as before now that Houston and SKC are gone.

Areathrasher
10-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Matthew Doyle ‏@MLSAnalyst (https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst/status/526800981766324225)
Biggest winner in realignment? @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc). They'll make the playoffs next year.

OgtheDim
10-27-2014, 02:03 PM
New York City FC will probably destroy us in their first season.

They will be playing on a converted baseball field where the nearest fans are farther away then they are at a running track.

There is a lot of potential for ugliness there. Kreis is a great coach, but he's got a lot of expectations to fulfill. His bosses think money buys winners.

ryan
10-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Matthew Doyle ‏@MLSAnalyst (https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst/status/526800981766324225)
Biggest winner in realignment? @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc). They'll make the playoffs next year.

Little early in the week to be drunk at work, no?

Cashcleaner
10-27-2014, 03:01 PM
So the "best" club in the East moves away. 2 teams are expansion.

East gets even easier....

That's nothing we should really be proud of! :D

But you're right. Orlando and NYCFC coming in gives us a distinct advantage, and having SKC in the west helps too. Though, that's gonna be a lot of powerful clubs in one conference (despite KC not having it's best season this year). Seattle, LAG, and RSL and now SKC? Crazy!

Redcoe15
10-27-2014, 03:43 PM
With our side's luck, both New York City and Orlando will both make the playoffs and have Supporter's Shields and MLS Cups on their shelves before TFC ever make the playoffs. :prrr:

mowe
10-27-2014, 04:16 PM
They will be playing on a converted baseball field where the nearest fans are farther away then they are at a running track.

There is a lot of potential for ugliness there. Kreis is a great coach, but he's got a lot of expectations to fulfill. His bosses think money buys winners.

I think Kreis is the key there. He knows how to win in MLS. Plus Villa will tear this league apart. Add in Lampard and possibly Xavi and they should be a decent team.

Orlando I'm not so sure about. Kaka is a nice piece but their coach has no MLS experience.

Either way, trading one team above us in the standings for two unknowns is good for TFC. And I can see NY falling out without Henry. Definitely some spots opening up for us.

ag futbol
10-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Little early in the week to be drunk at work, no?
Post of the year.

nascarguy
10-28-2014, 06:31 AM
the next team in the east will push Chicago Fire to the west

ensco
10-28-2014, 06:39 AM
League needs to think about playoff setup. DC and NE are not proven commodities. The top seven teams in the league are in the west.

Red CB Toronto
10-28-2014, 08:36 AM
League needs to think about playoff setup. DC and NE are not proven commodities. The top seven teams in the league are in the west.

A three conference/division setup could have helped that.

Carts
10-28-2014, 08:48 AM

This is a major problem in North American sports - and the playoff setup they use... Teams in one conference, far superior to another are on the outside looking in...

I would go with (taking into account the MLS needs "playoffs" to attract the American viewer, and needs as many teams "in it" until the end)....

20-teams, single table, play each team twice, top 8 make the playoffs - pure cup football format to decide MLS Cup (Quarters/Semi/Final, all single match)...

Finish top 4 in the league, guarantee a home playoff date. Higher regular season record hosts the playoff match / final...

This does remove 2-teams from the playoffs, it the league just won't have this, then add two more; 7th vs 10th for the 7th spot / 8th vs 9th for the 8th spot... 50% of the teams make the playoffs, which they probably like...

I know the league loves having 'rivals' play more often, but it cheapens the matches - you get one shot at home & away against a rival, that's it! Make the match an occasion...

But anyways... :topic: LOL

Suds
10-28-2014, 08:53 AM
MLSE and the TFC brass are already figuring out how they can completely screw up this opportunity as well.

My guess - Drama around Defoe continues right through to January, new signings are brought in too late and don't have time to gel with the team, Bez gets canned after roster changes are made, new guy's hands are tied and can't make any other changes, Vanney has a target on his back because he's not the new guys choice, TFC raise prices or come up with some other scheme to leech the fans, Carts finally has enough an launches full beer into MLSE's suite, more drama around in-team fighting, and Parkdale finally snaps and moves to the suburbs of Scarborough.

Did I miss anything??

TOBOR !
10-28-2014, 08:56 AM
At first I thought the conferences were listed in alphabetical order, but then I realised they're actually the 2015 final standings.

ManUtd4ever
10-28-2014, 08:57 AM
The playoffs certainly aren't a lock for this club despite the ramifications of realignment next season. SKC and Houston moving to the Western Conference could benefit a fringe playoff club such as ours, but it would be highly presumptuous to assume that NYC and Orlando are going to be inferior clubs, when there is ample evidence to suggest that both franchises are poised to field very competitive squads.

I think the most realistic scenario is that it will be just as difficult for TFC to qualify for the post season in the East next season bases on the quality of conference rivals. It will be up to management to improve the squad in the off season to bolster our playoff aspirations.

Canary10
10-28-2014, 09:05 AM
At first I thought the conferences were listed in alphabetical order, but then I realised they're actually the 2015 final standings.

Ha ha. That's what I thought too.

Initial B
10-30-2014, 01:15 PM
A three conference/division setup could have helped that.
Three Conferences would be harder to seed for playoffs and would take away from the east-west divide that pretty much seems to be the setup in all NA Major League sports. I think Garber eventually will want 28 teams consisting of two 7-team divisions in each conference. That would allow for teams to play home-and-away matches within their division, and alternating home-or-away games with all the other divisions. The 34th game would be against the team from their in-conference division that finished in the same place in the standings they did the previous year. They'd probably break the teams up by:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Atlantic Division
Atlanta
DC United
Miami
New York Red Bulls
New York City FC
Orlando City
Philadelphia Union

Northern Division
Chicago Fire
Coulmbus Crew
Minnisota
Montreal Impact
Nashville/Charlotte/Indianapolis/St Louis
New England Revolution
Toronto FC

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Central Division
Colorado Rapids
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
Las Vegas/Phoenix/Oklahoma City
Sporting KC
Real Salt Lake
San Antonio

Pacific Division
LA Galaxy
LA FC
Portland Timbers
Sacramento
San Jose
Seattle Sounders
Vancouver Whitecaps

This configuration would probably reduce the wear and tear on players the most.

<edit: Changed LA2 to LA FC as per the announcement>

Platts
10-30-2014, 02:38 PM
i will be betting that Orlando city will make the playoffs next year. They have been better than us on and off the field for the last six seasons.

(