PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2014-15 Off-Season player moves/speculation/rumours/etc. thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Oldtimer
10-27-2014, 07:49 AM
Now that the season has ended, now is the time to start a new thread.

Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings get a separate single thread in the "News" section. All other "inside" and other information goes here.

mowe
10-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Bendik
Konopka

Bloom -- Caldwell -- ??? -- Morrow
Richter Hagglund Henry Morgan

Bradley -- ???
Bekker Warner

??? --- ??? --- Osorio
Jackson ??? Lovitz

Gilberto
Moore

Needs:
Starting CB - eg: Kendall Waston, Matt Hedges
Starting AM (DP?) - Higuain, Pedro Morales, Piatti, Valeri etc
Starting Winger - Nagbe type
Starting DM - Laba clone
Bench CM - utility player

burlington Red
10-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Clint Dempsey looking for a Jan loan move to PL according to Daily Mirror. How ironic would it be if ends up at the same club as Defoe

Voodooman
10-27-2014, 10:46 AM
And so it begins.....with the Jays offseason plans and the TFC one, it actually will be quite interesting to see what is going to happen

gdg_9
10-27-2014, 01:19 PM
So now that Chivas USA is officially no more, what players on their roster might TFC be interested in picking up in the upcoming dispersal draft?

By the sounds of it, Torres won't be a part of the dispersal draft. If he stays in MLS, it will likely be as a DP.

What other players could be useful pickups?

Slick
10-27-2014, 01:25 PM
So now that Chivas USA is officially no more, what players on their roster might TFC be interested in picking up in the upcoming dispersal draft?

By the sounds of it, Torres won't be a part of the dispersal draft. If he stays in MLS, it will likely be as a DP.

So what happens to their 1st round pick that we own?

Areathrasher
10-27-2014, 01:32 PM
No change.

We have it.

Couple of interesting young players that could be decent depth for us. Matt Dunn, Zavelta, Baptiste and Thomas McNamara was doing well and getting good reviews before getting injured.

gdg_9
10-27-2014, 01:42 PM
No change.

We have it.

Couple of interesting young players that could be decent depth for us. Matt Dunn, Zavelta, Baptiste and Thomas McNamara was doing well and getting good reviews before getting injured.

After looking at their roster, Jean-Baptiste and Zavaleta are two young players I noticed.
Is Zavaleta still property of Seattle though? I believe he originally went to Chivas on loan.

Also, any chance Vanney still has familiarity with any of the younger players from his days at Chivas?

Areathrasher
10-27-2014, 01:47 PM
You're right, he is on loan.

I'd Vanney would have some familiarity with some of the players on the roster and still have contacts at their academy so should be able to get the low down on the HGs

OgtheDim
10-27-2014, 02:36 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/526818635843903488)
Note from #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash): Bradley in New York for surgery to correct nerve issue with his foot. Defoe in England to seek treatment on injured groin..........

and hang out at Tesco's taking selfie's.

Derko
10-27-2014, 03:35 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/526818635843903488)
Note from #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash): Bradley in New York for surgery to correct nerve issue with his foot. Defoe in England to seek treatment on injured groin..........

Perfect, lol
I like going to Tesco when I am in the U.K. You can always pick up some beer and ciders and few bags of Cheese and Onion Crisps for me and the wife to make the Groin Treatment a bit nicer. :drinking:

JuliquE
10-27-2014, 04:19 PM
4-2-3-1

---------------------Bendik*-------------------

-Bloom*----Caldwell*---NewCB----Morrow-

-------Bradley------------------Laba2---------

-----Moore---------NewAM--------Osorio-----

--------------------Gilberto---------------------

'Keepers: Bendik (I actually typed out "Bender"; tifo idea, maybe) is good enough, in this league. His shortcomings can be very frustrating, but, with better organization in front of him, I feel like he can continue to improve (which I believe he has done, already, if only slightly).

Defenders: Bloom, like Bendik, has his shortcomings, to be sure.. but, he's serviceable in an improved back four. Caldwell I wouldn't mind replacing, mid-season, after he's had a chance to bring consistency to our back four, at the start of 2015, whilst grooming the new, stud CB to be his replacement. In a worst case scenario, he stays on for the season, but is sometimes replaced with the likes of Hagglund or Henry, if he's here.

Defensive-minded mids: Bradley, despite what some believe, isn't, for me, a pure DM, in that he's not necessarily got a penchant for tackling, which is pretty key for an absolute, stay-at-home DM. Box-to-box is a role that suits him best, imo -- his read of the game is too useful, going forward. The problem is that such a role DOES often lead to him feeling like he's got to do it all; with enough quality around him, however, and in key positions, he won't as often be stuck playing deep, picking up the ball, or be frequently caught up field, as we brace for an opposition counter. He will be able to pick his moments, more, and, just as well, with better quality around him, comes better movement to better exploit his passing/vision. The aforementioned key positions are in bold, above: CB & DM (so he's not overly concerned about getting caught) and an AM (so he's not the go-to guy to create).

Attack-minded mids: Both Moore and Oso have shown they can come central and link play, but not enough to be the main creative source.. hence the need for a bona fide AM, with the other two in support swapping places with him, on occasion, to keep our opposition guessing. With the likes of Jackson, Lovitz, Oduro and possibly DeRo, we have enough options to keep things fresh and ask different questions, with our starting line-up, or with a game-changing sub.

Forward(s): Gilberto is class; irks me how he sometimes gets ragged on.. but, that's pro sports, I suppose. For me, he is the inverse of Bradley: feels he has to do it all, if mostly concerning himself with the attack. Again, with some quality around him, and, thus, better movement, space would more often open up for him to exploit. For me, the front four are interchangeable (Moore, Oso, Jackson and Oduro have pitched in on goals, don't forget); don't agree with the view of lining Gilberto up primarily as an AM, but I understand why there are some calling for this. I think we need a better forward option coming off the bench, if we're to be taken serious; not quite a stud, as it would be difficult to keep the two happy, whilst also being a waste of cap space.

I think it was notthesun that said it best: we have to look at the overall team, when a player is not doing well (especially when said player is already a proven commodity in MLS). Blowing up the roster has got to stop, and what I've proposed gets the most out of what we already have. How we line up could make a world of difference, as well; a shift away from 4-4-2, and some time for the players to settle into it, will play to our strengths more.

flamehawk
10-27-2014, 04:22 PM

Imagine if Avila somehow ends up back at TFC lol - though seriously, I wouldn't mind having him back. There's a need for a more technical winger.

And I know a lot of people had been calling for Marvin Chavez before, now he's available.

flamehawk
10-27-2014, 04:24 PM
4-2-3-1

'Keepers: Bendik (I actually typed out "Bender"; tifo idea, maybe) is good enough, in this league. His shortcomings can be very frustrating, but, with better organization in front of him, I feel like he can continue to improve (which I believe he has done, already, if only slightly).

Defenders: Bloom, like Bendik, has his shortcomings, to be sure.. but, he's serviceable in an improved back four. Caldwell I wouldn't mind replacing, mid-season, after he's had a chance to bring consistency to our back four, at the start of 2015, whilst grooming the new, stud CB to be his replacement. In a worst case scenario, he stays on for the season, but is sometimes replaced with the likes of Hagglund or Henry, if he's here.

Defensive-minded mids: Bradley, despite what some believe, isn't, for me, a pure DM, in that he's not necessarily got a penchant for tackling, which is pretty key for an absolute, stay-at-home DM. Box-to-box is a role that suits him best, imo -- his read of the game is too useful, going forward. The problem is that such a role DOES often lead to him feeling like he's got to do it all; with enough quality around him, however, and in key positions, he won't as often be stuck playing deep, picking up the ball, or be frequently caught up field, as we brace for an opposition counter. He will be able to pick his moments, more, and, just as well, with better quality around him, comes better movement to better exploit his passing/vision. The aforementioned key positions are in bold, above: CB & DM (so he's not overly concerned about getting caught) and an AM (so he's not the go-to guy to create).

Attack-minded mids: Both Moore and Oso have shown they can come central and link play, but not enough to be the main creative source.. hence the need for a bona fide AM, with the other two in support swapping places with him, on occasion, to keep our opposition guessing. With the likes of Jackson, Lovitz, Oduro and possibly DeRo, we have enough options to keep things fresh and ask different questions, with our starting line-up, or with a game-changing sub.

Forward(s): Gilberto is class; irks me how he sometimes gets ragged on.. but, that's pro sports, I suppose. For me, he is the inverse of Bradley: feels he has to do it all, if mostly concerning himself with the attack. Again, with some quality around him, and, thus, better movement, space would more often open up for him to exploit. For me, the front four are interchangeable (Moore, Oso, Jackson and Oduro have pitched in on goals, don't forget); don't agree with the view of lining Gilberto up primarily as an AM, but I understand why there are some calling for this. I think we need a better forward option coming off the bench, if we're to be taken serious; not quite a stud, as it would be difficult to keep the two happy, whilst also being a waste of cap space.

I think it was notthesun that said it best: we have to look at the overall team, when a player is not doing well (especially when said player is already a proven commodity in MLS). Blowing up the roster has got to stop, and what I've proposed gets the most out of what we already have. How we line up could make a world of difference, as well; a shift away from 4-4-2, and some time for the players to settle into it, will play to our strengths more.

This is spot on in my view and what I would like TFC to play (happens to be the formation I use in Fifa). However, I am not sure I see Moore as the starting RW/RF, serviceable as depth, but I think we need someone with greater technical ability.

Areathrasher
10-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Slot in Oduro or Jackson for Moore and that looks good.

JuliquE
10-27-2014, 04:56 PM
This is spot on in my view and what I would like TFC to play (happens to be the formation I use in Fifa). However, I am not sure I see Moore as the starting RW/RF, serviceable as depth, but I think we need someone with greater technical ability.

Slot in Oduro or Jackson for Moore and that looks good.
That's the thing with that formation, isn't it -- the front four are mostly all interchangeable; I've got Moore in there for his ability to hold the ball up and link play, which he has done to great affect, at times (I think he was key to whomever was the main striker, hence why he, more often than not, got the nod).. however, I can see any of those you mentioned slotting in, as well.

Because I, personally, see Moore starting a fair bit, I feel like we need a better option at striker to come off the bench; Moore CAN, do this, but I think it's risky to rely on him as the main back-up for a lone-striker in a 4-2-3-1.

Other than that, if Henry leaves, I think it's essential we get another decent CB depth option (bonus if he's capable of playing at RB, in a pinch).

Areathrasher
10-27-2014, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Moore heads back to England. Esp if that report that Burnley were after him was true.

jloome
10-27-2014, 05:42 PM
You're right, he is on loan.

I'd Vanney would have some familiarity with some of the players on the roster and still have contacts at their academy so should be able to get the low down on the HGs

LOL, I imagine he knows Eric Zavaleta fairly well; he's Vanney's nephew. Also Seattle property on loan.

Thomas McNamara looked like the steal of the draft until his knee injury.

jloome
10-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Imagine if Avila somehow ends up back at TFC lol - though seriously, I wouldn't mind having him back. There's a need for a more technical winger.

And I know a lot of people had been calling for Marvin Chavez before, now he's available.

Avila's going to Mexico next season.

DeRo Fan #1
10-27-2014, 06:52 PM
I wonder if Issey wants to come back.
(If they fire Bezbatchenko it would be more likely).

Ajax TFC
10-27-2014, 11:11 PM
I wonder if Issey wants to come back.
(If they fire Bezbatchenko it would be more likely).
I highly doubt that. Bez was probably the one who brought Issey here to begin with. Nelsen probably didn't like what he brought to the game and moved him out for a player he liked more. He did the same thing with Urruti after Payne spent months to bring him in. So if Bez doesn't bring him back, then it's even less likely that a new manager does. While we the fans may like certain players and want them back, new managers typically don't look at those same players

Defoe
10-28-2014, 04:44 AM
4-2-3-1

Other then Bloom this is exactly what I would love to see. Throw in Cubo Torres as well... Torres-Gilberto would be a truly fantastic duo up top... Just by anaylizing the way Cubo plays, I see those two having instant amazing chemistry. He would fit in so well with age of our core... This needs to happen. #dreamoffseason

---------------------Bendik*---------------------

-Creavalle*----Caldwell*---NewCB----Morrow-

-------------------- -Laba2 ----------------------

Bradley -------------------------------- Jackson-

------------------- NewAM ----------------------

---------------- Torres - Gilberto -----------------

OgtheDim
10-28-2014, 06:16 AM
Bradley ain't no side midfielder. Fits better as the central part of a 4-1-3-2 or in that 4-2-3-1

Defoe
10-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Bradley ain't no side midfielder. Fits better as the central part of a 4-1-3-2 or in that 4-2-3-1

Bradley to CDM and get a Shea2 instead of Laba2

Still Kicking
10-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Defoe interviewed in The Guardian (http://gu.com/p/42zdt/tw) today...
Seems to me that shoving Tim L. out quickly (his Ryerson comments still rankle), followed by a new leader who is willing to send a very nice Xmas present (and consult with Team Defoe/Team Bradley about who replaces Bez/Vanney) and a two month loan to QPR will result in a TFC Defoe for 2015.

Some say he is gone. I say his goal scoring talent is hard to replace, his learning curve for MLS will be behind him and TFC fans love a redemption story. Bring on the Bigger, Bloodier Deal !!!

ag futbol
10-28-2014, 09:02 AM

Chavez would be alright. Avila as depth, but no more.

Detroit_TFC
10-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Reading that Guardian article, the whole "I don't really know what will happen" thing strikes me as pure bullshit. Defoe had plenty of opportunities to make his preferences known if he didn't want to get traded. That would have gone a long way to prevent the hard feelings he's so shocked by right now.

I tend to feel his currency is not as valuable as he thinks. There is a good chance he doesn't get an offer he feels worth taking. We'll see what happens then.

C.Ronaldo
10-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Defoe interviewed in The Guardian (http://gu.com/p/42zdt/tw) today...
Seems to me that shoving Tim L. out quickly (his Ryerson comments still rankle), followed by a new leader who is willing to send a very nice Xmas present (and consult with Team Defoe/Team Bradley about who replaces Bez/Vanney) and a two month loan to QPR will result in a TFC Defoe for 2015.

Some say he is gone. I say his goal scoring talent is hard to replace, his learning curve for MLS will be behind him and TFC fans love a redemption story. Bring on the Bigger, Bloodier Deal !!!

if only henry/keane/becks can sit down and have a chit chat about what MLS is all about, but then again I dont want a tempramental DP that will just pick up and leave. Just sitting in the stands while injured is sometimes as important as playing well on the field. Defoe is like the hot GF thats a little loose in head, you want her to stay so bad, but shes terrible for your ego and anxiety cuz there always the chances she'll turn on you and leave for another guy. Loyalty (past 6 months) is worth alot

Derko
10-28-2014, 10:04 AM
if only henry/keane/becks can sit down and have a chit chat about what MLS is all about, but then again I dont want a tempramental DP that will just pick up and leave. Just sitting in the stands while injured is sometimes as important as playing well on the field. Defoe is like the hot GF thats a little loose in head, you want her to stay so bad, but shes terrible for your ego and anxiety cuz there always the chances she'll turn on you and leave for another guy. Loyalty (past 6 months) is worth alot

OK I know I have been very negative on Defoe, only because of the shit show that has happened in the second half of the season. If Defoe is committed and plays for pride, I am okay with that.

burlington Red
10-28-2014, 01:32 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/526818635843903488)

There must be a serious lack of Doctors in Canada these days........lol

CommradePolski
10-28-2014, 01:34 PM
There must be a serious lack of Doctors in Canada these days........lol

I think with Bradley's case its more of a wait time issue. He can likely get the procedure done like within the next week in the states where as in Canada he may have to wait months.

jloome
10-28-2014, 04:41 PM
I think with Bradley's case its more of a wait time issue. He can likely get the procedure done like within the next week in the states where as in Canada he may have to wait months.

Or a more noted specialist. Rep seems to go a long way in pro sports rehab.

portu
10-28-2014, 05:20 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2739336/Bryan-Ruiz-set-Fulham-exit-Werder-Bremen-Ajax-battling-Costa-Rica-star.html
can u guys think of a team to match that wage demand?

PopePouri
10-28-2014, 05:59 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2739336/Bryan-Ruiz-set-Fulham-exit-Werder-Bremen-Ajax-battling-Costa-Rica-star.html
can u guys think of a team to match that wage demand?

i was thinking about him to fill the AM DP slot. He has to be one of the names at the top of the list.

jloome
10-28-2014, 09:52 PM
i was thinking about him to fill the AM DP slot. He has to be one of the names at the top of the list.

I like him, but we can genuinely do better for less money.

Defoe talked to the Guardian today.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/28/jermain-defoe-toronto-taunts-hurt-premier-league-england

Ossington Mental Youth
10-29-2014, 06:01 AM
Been rumored to go to my beloved Werder for the last 3-6 months. New coach might change that but im guessing its not likely.

Areathrasher
10-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Funny little bit on Gilberto from Larson today

Gilberto and I raised our voices in the Kia Training Ground’s parking lot shortly after TFC’s end-of-season press conferences.“When are you leaving for Orlando?” I yelled out in reference to growing speculation that TFC’s Brazilian DP won’t be back next season.
“Where is that?” he yelled back with grin.
Unsubstantiated rumours have indicated 2015 expansion side Orlando City could be in pursuit of Toronto first-year player.
As Gilberto made his way to his very shiny, white sports vehicle, I yelled back: “Down in Florida, where your friend Kaka is.”
It was an attempt to put an end to the speculation one of Toronto FC’s key pieces is leaving.
“I’m not friends with Kaka,” he said back with a laugh.
He then sped past a colleague and me, honking his horn while waving.
In other words, see you next season, most likely — a sentiment he has been conveying for weeks after rumours kicked up he was unhappy.

PopePouri
10-29-2014, 08:52 AM
I like him, but we can genuinely do better for less money.

Maybe. He's on $1.7 million now. He'd probably have to take a paycut to go to Werder.

jloome
10-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Maybe. He's on $1.7 million now. He'd probably have to take a paycut to go to Werder.

I wonder how many guys in the first divisions in Brazil or Argentina would take that kind of money. I think there's a tendency to assume that it's only the cream that rises to the top leagues but there are plenty of journeymen-level (Caldwell for example) or slightly better players (Ruiz) who make it there or to the Championship when more skilled players don't.

I also think we have an advantage, in a sense, in picking up skill players because our league, while fast and physical, is more forgiving than the EPL or Championship.

FRANKIE65
10-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Funny little bit on Gilberto from Larson today

[/FONT][/COLOR]

The funniest thing about this is that Gilberto can suddenly speak fluent English:confused:

ag futbol
10-29-2014, 10:01 AM
It kills me that we had Laba, who was happy here, and had brought Urrutti in... We blew that all up and spent more money for an unsustainable plan.

C.Ronaldo
10-29-2014, 10:06 AM
The funniest thing about this is that Gilberto can suddenly speak fluent English:confused:

yah, how did that happen?

Did larson learn portuguese?

ManUtd4ever
10-29-2014, 10:12 AM
It kills me that we had Laba, who was happy here, and had brought Urrutti in... We blew that all up and spent more money for an unsustainable plan.

And most of us felt that way at the time as well.

It was fun for a while, but the Leiweke era for TFC supporters will be remembered more for the sizzle than the steak.

burlington Red
10-29-2014, 10:23 AM

isn't he on more than that

PopePouri
10-29-2014, 10:42 AM
I wonder how many guys in the first divisions in Brazil or Argentina would take that kind of money. I think there's a tendency to assume that it's only the cream that rises to the top leagues but there are plenty of journeymen-level (Caldwell for example) or slightly better players (Ruiz) who make it there or to the Championship when more skilled players don't.

I also think we have an advantage, in a sense, in picking up skill players because our league, while fast and physical, is more forgiving than the EPL or Championship.

Sure but the risk of failure is less when you pick up someone who knows CONCACAF, speaks English and is proven in Europe.

I'm good either way if we went the SA route, but if picked up Ruiz, I'd be happy with that as well.

OgtheDim
10-29-2014, 12:59 PM
So, according to Twitter, Vanney indicated Bradley isn't a Playmaker.

4 months to find an AM it seems.

notthesun
10-29-2014, 01:18 PM
https://twitter.com/BrianStraus/status/527517935712362498

"Hearing Doneil Henry sold to Apollon Limassol of Cyprus at start of MLS season for bit > $500K. Unclear on loan terms. But it's something."

Different club than Rollins reported earlier in the week (AC Omonia). Apollon is currently in 2nd place in the Cypriot First Division and is in the Europa League group stage, 2 points out of advancing with 3 matchdays left.

ag futbol
10-29-2014, 01:53 PM
I wonder how much of that paid for our temporary rental of julio Cesar, which was (like a lot of stuff we did in the last year) short term cool, long term of questionable benefit.

C.Ronaldo
10-29-2014, 02:01 PM
I wonder how much of that paid for our temporary rental of julio Cesar, which was (like a lot of stuff we did in the last year) short term cool, long term of questionable benefit.

perhaps cesar was the glue that we missed post WC

ag futbol
10-29-2014, 02:01 PM
So, according to Twitter, Vanney indicated Bradley isn't a Playmaker.

4 months to find an AM it seems.
Thank god.

Ruiz is a pretty cool suggestion. He seems like a team guy, has performed at a top level, speaks English, is familiar with "doing a lot more" on teams where talent levels are un-even, also strikes me as being able to play support striker and AM (maybe I'm wrong here ).

Definitely be an A+ pickup for any MLS team. Only issue I see is international duty with crappy MLS scheduling. That's a big selling point of the guys coming from the superpowers of world football. No additional wear-and-tear and no missed games.

ag futbol
10-29-2014, 02:02 PM
I'd give that a bit of weight, however if that's the case we need a new #1, not someone temporary.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-29-2014, 02:12 PM

may indeed have to, that being said with the new coach, its less certain that he is still a target (that being said i wouldnt be surprised if we did get him)

Oldtimer
10-29-2014, 02:13 PM

Probably almost zero. Cesar always was about giving him time to prepare for the WC.

hulkrogan
10-29-2014, 02:26 PM

I think he can speak a bit of English, but he's just shy using it in the media.

Did you seem him spazzing at the refs all season? I'd assuming he wasn't going off in them in Portuguese. He's got a bit of English when he needs it ;)

Areathrasher
10-29-2014, 02:48 PM
He was viable on camera giving a Revs player a nice F U at the weekend.

So he can swear in English at least

VoxPopuliCosmicum
10-29-2014, 03:31 PM

I sure wish I had been sniffing glue post WC, and not watching the team disintegrate (again).

Ajax TFC
10-29-2014, 04:09 PM
For me Ruiz checks most of the boxes for what I want for a DP AM. That is, he can play centrally or as a winger, can beat a man 1v1, makes good passes, has a good delivery, and can score goals. The fact that he's from CONCACAF, knows English, etc. is bonus.

The problem is that he might not be high profile enough for the board to approve of DP wages for him.

ag futbol
10-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Probably almost zero. Cesar always was about giving him time to prepare for the WC.
Well Cesar might be about that, but I'm sure QPR is at least partially about recouping salary. If it's just about PT, truth is there are always going to be better options than TFC.

TFC07
10-29-2014, 04:44 PM
So which "big name" player from overseas is available in January window?

I personally believe TFC isn't going to sign any DP to replace Defoe in the winter due to potential strike, but then you never know since TFC needs sell tickets to fill up 30K seats next year.

flamehawk
10-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Neil Davidson ‏@NeilMDavidson (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson) 26m26 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/527570382627569664)
For those wondering, the #torontoFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/torontoFC?src=hash) draft pick that went to Dallas in Jackson trade was upgraded to a 1st rounder when he signed a new deal

hmmm...

gdg_9
10-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Neil Davidson ‏@NeilMDavidson (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson) 26m26 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/527570382627569664)
For those wondering, the #torontoFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/torontoFC?src=hash) draft pick that went to Dallas in Jackson trade was upgraded to a 1st rounder when he signed a new deal

hmmm...

At least it's our lowest 1st rounder, the one we got from Seattle (according to Davidson's follow-up tweet).

We still have ours, Chivas, and Portland's.

lobo
10-29-2014, 06:12 PM
At least it's our lowest 1st rounder, the one we got from Seattle (according to Davidson's follow-up tweet).

We still have ours, Chivas, and Portland's.

so, we give away a 1st rounder for Jackson ... and we get nada for giving away Laba (unless i missed something or it is a big secret like selling Henry).

molenshtain
10-29-2014, 06:19 PM
so, we give away a 1st rounder for Jackson ... and we get nada for giving away Laba (unless i missed something or it is a big secret like selling Henry).

we got/will get something for Laba.

RealG-TFC
10-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Anyone know how Mario Martinez was in Seattle? Was looking at possible #10s for us and he could be a good fit given the fact that he was in MLS at some point, and he's was in Honduras' WC squad (scored two goals against Canada in the 8-1). Found this:

xkjoXuHn3W8

portu
10-29-2014, 06:41 PM
we pretty much gave away a 2nd round pick for Jackson lets get this straight

Oldtimer
10-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Well Cesar might be about that, but I'm sure QPR is at least partially about recouping salary. If it's just about PT, truth is there are always going to be better options than TFC.

Since we know that Cesar's salary at QPR was at least partially based on how much he played for them, not having to play him (and therefore pay him) would be for their financial benefit, and he needed to be played to get ready for the WC or they would have a very upset player. An upset player is bad news for the locker room.

As far as better options than TFC, they wouldn't want to loan him to a competing English club, and as far as foreign clubs he had a link with Nelsen so that made it a natural fit. What was a bit disingenuous was how much MLSE played up having a World Cup captain on TFC's squad when they knew good and well that there was a good chance he would be recalled post-WC due to their "gentleman's agreement."

burlington Red
10-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Non TFC related but interesting move, Raul has signed to play for the Cosmos for next seaosn, he will also act as Technical advisor to their youth teams

Ajax TFC
10-30-2014, 12:53 PM
I really don't understand what the point of the cosmos is. They want to dominate the second teir of soccer?

OgtheDim
10-30-2014, 12:56 PM
I really don't understand what the point of the cosmos is. They want to dominate the second teir of soccer?

Shirt sales and ego stroking.

Greatest Ripoff
10-30-2014, 03:16 PM

win the us open cup and qualify for champions league

ag futbol
10-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Since we know that Cesar's salary at QPR was at least partially based on how much he played for them, not having to play him (and therefore pay him) would be for their financial benefit, and he needed to be played to get ready for the WC or they would have a very upset player. An upset player is bad news for the locker room.

As far as better options than TFC, they wouldn't want to loan him to a competing English club, and as far as foreign clubs he had a link with Nelsen so that made it a natural fit. What was a bit disingenuous was how much MLSE played up having a World Cup captain on TFC's squad when they knew good and well that there was a good chance he would be recalled post-WC due to their "gentleman's agreement."
There's nothing natural about a keeper of that quality coming to MLS, it's not like Ryan Nelsen is their only connection.

brad
10-30-2014, 05:08 PM
There's nothing natural about a keeper of that quality coming to MLS, it's not like Ryan Nelsen is their only connection.

The timing does make sense though - based on when they shipped him off, and the fact that he could play right up until the WC.

Areathrasher
10-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Robert Jonas ‏@robertjonas (https://twitter.com/robertjonas) 27m27 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/robertjonas/status/528243701332455424)
There will be changes to the #SJEarthquakes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SJEarthquakes?src=hash) roster. John Doyle would say only Wondolowski and Perez Garcia are assured of returning in 2015.

Interesting

TFC07
10-31-2014, 01:36 PM
Steven Gerrard is willing to leave Liverpool if he doesn't get a new deal in the summer.

Source: theScore

Cue up Gerrard to TFC rumours! :D

notthesun
10-31-2014, 01:43 PM
Robert Jonas ‏@robertjonas (https://twitter.com/robertjonas) 27m27 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/robertjonas/status/528243701332455424)
There will be changes to the #SJEarthquakes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SJEarthquakes?src=hash) roster. John Doyle would say only Wondolowski and Perez Garcia are assured of returning in 2015.

Interesting

We fleeced them getting Morrow in the off-season. Maybe a homecoming for Sam Cronin...

CommradePolski
10-31-2014, 02:21 PM
We fleeced them getting Morrow in the off-season. Maybe a homecoming for Sam Cronin...

Maybe go after Lenhart in case we lose Moore.

Wouldnt Cronin be too similar to Bradley?

ag futbol
10-31-2014, 03:00 PM
They dumped both fullbacks in the offseason (both were also very good). They had decent cover supposedly... But I doubt they ended up being better off for making those trades.

Yohan
10-31-2014, 03:13 PM

Lenhart is the dirtiest thug in MLS.

Cronin is more like Warner but slightly better defensively

gdg_9
10-31-2014, 03:23 PM

Interesting

There's a few players on their roster that could be of varying degrees of interest to TFC...

Bernardez or Hernandez at CB
Cronin for CM depth
Barklage as RB depth
Harris or Salinas as wide players

C.Ronaldo
10-31-2014, 03:28 PM

better depth than warner

Yohan
10-31-2014, 03:33 PM
There's a few players on their roster that could be of varying degrees of interest to TFC...

Bernardez or Hernandez at CB
No. Bernardez has declined sharply last year or so. He's been very mistake prone. Hernandez is at best 3rd CB on a good team.

Cronin for CM depth
Barklage as RB depth
Harris or Salinas as wide players
Barklage is ok, but if you think Bloom as depth RB, you really want someone better.
Atiba Harris is basically a target striker playing on LW. He's got very little soccer skill.
Salinas would be an ok pick up. Lots of flash and no finish, but at least he can stretch a defence a little.

OgtheDim
10-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Salinas would be an ok pick up. Lots of flash and no finish, but at least he can stretch a defence a little.

Sounds familiar?

Can he cross? Cause if he can cross, he's a step above Oduro.

notthesun
10-31-2014, 03:43 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-major-league-soccer-doneil-henry-tfc-toronto-fc-apollon-limassol/

Apollon Limassol confirmed by Molinaro to be the club Henry was sold to.

ag futbol
10-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Sounds familiar?

Can he cross? Cause if he can cross, he's a step above Oduro.
He is a lot like Lovitz IMO, although Lovitz can read the game better.

portu
10-31-2014, 05:38 PM
If we can find a way to pick up Will Johnson + a Cam then we'd have one of, if not, the best central midfields in the league.

There are so little MLS hardened players that might be available and are starting xi calibre in the positions that we need. Like beyond Collin who else may be available as a stud cb

portu
10-31-2014, 05:47 PM
What about taking Chavez from Chivas in the expansion draft?

Ossington Mental Youth
10-31-2014, 06:19 PM

suspect we will have a DP slot and someone better instore

Yohan
10-31-2014, 06:53 PM

he looks very disinterested last 2 seasons. maybe a change of scenery might help, but I think TFC can do better

Areathrasher
10-31-2014, 08:05 PM
suspect we will have a DP slot and someone better instore

His contract has expired so wouldnt be a DP.

Says he wants to stay in MLS though

Ossington Mental Youth
10-31-2014, 08:25 PM
His contract has expired so wouldnt be a DP.

Says he wants to stay in MLS though

wasnt thinking of him as a dp, was thinking of ridding Defoe and adding someone from outside the league

shwade
11-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Steven Gerrard is willing to leave Liverpool if he doesn't get a new deal in the summer.

Source: theScore

Cue up Gerrard to TFC rumours! :D

I would cream myself, even at 34.

OgtheDim
11-01-2014, 06:11 PM
No thanks.

Doesn't fit our needs.

No over the hill guys getting one last pay cheque thank you very much.

Greatest Ripoff
11-02-2014, 05:23 AM
No more names. Sign good footballers who do a job and enjoy being here.

barticusz
11-02-2014, 08:46 AM
I would cream myself, even at 34.

Anything but English ''stars". I want actually talented players with some integrity.

Yohan
11-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Anything but English ''stars". I want actually talented players with some integrity.

lol wut? Gerrard has been playing at the highest level for most of his career. Integrity? lol

If you want to question a player due to his age, that's fine. But slamming a player just because he's from England or UK is becoming silly. Nationality does not define how good a player is.

CBTFC
11-02-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm in the same camp as many...let's snap up a mid to late twenties south american CAM.

Yohan
11-02-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm in the same camp as many...let's snap up a mid to late twenties south american CAM.
Agreed. The odds of getting good affordable CAM is higher from SA than elsewhere. Don't expect instant impact though. Some takes a while to get used to MLS

Pookie
11-02-2014, 11:44 AM
One story/rumour making the rounds is Rio Ferdinand being targeted by MLS after announcing he is considering retiring. Just to add a little spice consider the QPR connection.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/rio-ferdinand-could-make-big-4551759

Not sure how I would feel about that. Talented. Experienced. Yet on the verge of hanging it up?

I forget the comedian that said "It's like when someone asks are you going to eat that? If not, I was going to throw it out. If it is a choice between me or the garbage, I'd prefer you just throw it out."

Yohan
11-02-2014, 12:19 PM
One story/rumour making the rounds is Rio Ferdinand being targeted by MLS after announcing he is considering retiring. Just to add a little spice consider the QPR connection.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/rio-ferdinand-could-make-big-4551759

Not sure how I would feel about that. Talented. Experienced. Yet on the verge of hanging it up?

I forget the comedian that said "It's like when someone asks are you going to eat that? If not, I was going to throw it out. If it is a choice between me or the garbage, I'd prefer you just throw it out."

Probably be like Nesta at Mtl. Slightly better organized defence, but individually Ferdinand gets beaten for pace

fdasilva
11-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Wesley Sneijder looking increasingly dissatisfied at Galatasaray, at 30 years old would it be too soon for a move to MLS?

Call me crazy, but hey if we got Defoe and Bradley in the past and everyone's looking for a #10, why not him?

Detroit_TFC
11-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Seems like a move would have to be cultivated over time. Might also have to see him getting spurned by some major clubs to convince him to consider a move. By then he's likely to be 33 or 34. Might still be worth it.

It's theoretically possible that throwing a ton of money at him right now might succeed getting him but I don't think he would get comfortable in the league. Would require overpaying him to give up Champions League.

PopePouri
11-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Wesley Sneijder looking increasingly dissatisfied at Galatasaray, at 30 years old would it be too soon for a move to MLS?

Call me crazy, but hey if we got Defoe and Bradley in the past and everyone's looking for a #10, why not him?

He's injury prone. It's a big risk.

fdasilva
11-03-2014, 10:59 AM
He's injury prone. It's a big risk.

More injury-prone then Defoe? And he'd be the #10 we're all dreaming of - or that I'm dreaming of :hump:

Red I
11-03-2014, 11:17 AM
More injury-prone then Defoe? And he'd be the #10 we're all dreaming of - or that I'm dreaming of :hump:

If this year has taught me anything, it is that if your best players are out half the season, good luck having any model of consistency. Having long-term injuries to Caldwell and Defoe didn't help things, as the team couldn't prevent goals or score their own consistently with them out.

I hope they revisit a previous rumour i heard about, and reach out to Jorge Valdivia; Chileno's got some skill!

RealG-TFC
11-03-2014, 11:39 AM
If this year has taught me anything, it is that if your best players are out half the season, good luck having any model of consistency. Having long-term injuries to Caldwell and Defoe didn't help things, as the team couldn't prevent goals or score their own consistently with them out.

I hope they revisit a previous rumour i heard about, and reach out to Jorge Valdivia; Chileno's got some skill!

Forgot about that. He would be unreal.

Areathrasher
11-03-2014, 11:43 AM
He was supposed to go back to the Middle East after the World Cup but the deal fell through and he is still at Palmeries.

He'll be expensive though, the Middle East team that was after him bid $7.5m and he was going to be paid $60k a week.

Yohan
11-03-2014, 12:12 PM
He was supposed to go back to the Middle East after the World Cup but the deal fell through and he is still at Palmeries.

He'll be expensive though, the Middle East team that was after him bid $7.5m and he was going to be paid $60k a week.
I remember him being pretty good for Chile during WC. Looks to have retired internationally, 31 so he's got at least few more years.

Sounds like a bit of head case if wikipedia is anything to go by.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Valdivia

Ossington Mental Youth
11-03-2014, 01:16 PM
i remember his name coming up before. Think he was at Palmeiras at the time

Canary10
11-03-2014, 01:35 PM

Rio would be the height of stupidity in my opinion. Looks seriously out of place now on QPR. He's too old.

ag futbol
11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
No more names. Sign good footballers who do a job and enjoy being here.
Here here.

portu
11-03-2014, 05:05 PM
"Experienced MLS Defender Watch"
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article3542452.html

Looks like Collin is done at SKC but we'd need to trade for him

BuSaPuNk
11-03-2014, 05:55 PM
"Experienced MLS Defender Watch"
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article3542452.html

Looks like Collin is done at SKC but we'd need to trade for him

Says he's a free agent so we wouldn't have to traditional anything.

However he was making 275k last season and wants a raise. I'd rather take Caldwell at 300k then what Collin would demand.

Areathrasher
11-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Says he's a free agent so we wouldn't have to traditional anything.

However he was making 275k last season and wants a raise. I'd rather take Caldwell at 300k then what Collin would demand.

A free agent for foreign teams. KC have extended him a qualifying offer so retain his MLS rights. If any other MLS clubs want to do a deal for him they have to go through KC.

Pint
11-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Knowing our luck we would pick him up and then he would start actually being called for all the fouls he commits.

BuSaPuNk
11-03-2014, 06:12 PM
A free agent for foreign teams. KC have extended him a qualifying offer so retain his MLS rights. If any other MLS clubs want to do a deal for him they have to go through KC.

Ahhh forgot about that. In that case then its no thanks. I'd rather try and find a cheaper option as a CB like we did with Morrow.

BuSaPuNk
11-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Knowing our luck we would pick him up and then he would start actually being called for all the fouls he commits.

Yep people complained about how Henry would usually give up a gaff once a game. Imagine Collin. Probably get suspended every other game lol

jloome
11-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Ahhh forgot about that. In that case then its no thanks. I'd rather try and find a cheaper option as a CB like we did with Morrow.

Good, young, cheap. The next Plata? Great with the ball, great passer, better shooter than Plata and stronger, though small. Mostly plays left side but could play under the strikers effectively.

http://ca.soccerway.com/players/romulo-otero/148555/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B3mulo_Otero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLHBwJY4884
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4YmjTMvWk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9zpFD2_Qzs

jloome
11-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Good, young, cheap. The next Plata? Great with the ball, great passer, better shooter than Plata and stronger, though small. Mostly plays right side but could play under the strikers effectively.

http://ca.soccerway.com/players/romulo-otero/148555/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B3mulo_Otero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLHBwJY4884
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4YmjTMvWk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9zpFD2_Qzs

I'd also try Ariel Rodriguez, the Costa Rican attacking mid. He's never played overseas, I don't think, but has become a regular for their national team and is a really good ball striker, header, passer.

BuSaPuNk
11-03-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm wary of these south American options though. I would love to get guys like that ala Laba ect but i hate the fact the majority of these south american leagues have players that are owned by more then one club.

Its finding those that arnt attached to multiple clubs or are coming to the end of thete contracts.

As much as people shit on getting UK players i think we should also be looking at the SPL for players.

SPL is a leauge that is very similar in style of being a physical leauge but not overly technical.

I think we could get some good players out of there at a decent price.

jloome
11-03-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm wary of these south American options though. I would love to get guys like that ala Laba ect but i hate the fact the majority of these south american leagues have players that are owned by more then one club.

Its finding those that arnt attached to multiple clubs or are coming to the end of thete contracts.

As much as people shit on getting UK players i think we should also be looking at the SPL for players.

SPL is a leauge that is very similar in style of being a physical leauge but not overly technical.

I think we could get some good players out of there at a decent price.

SPL's not a bad option. Houston has done well there.

Here's something worth considering: U.S. National team attacking midfielder Mix Diskerud is interested in MLS; he would be the perfect midfield partner to Bradley and is a free agent from Rosenborg in two months. He almost signed with the Crew last season and is pretty much exactly what we need, a guy who can play two ways but excels as an attacking midfielder, at the top of a diamond.

From mlssoccer.com:
Mix Diskerud Norwegian giants Rosenborg have one game remaining in the Tippeligaen season and less than two months to re-sign the man we all call "Mix" to a new deal. As of New Year's Day, the midfielder becomes a free agent, and there will be no shortage of applicants for his service from all over the globe.http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/diskerud_0.jpg
The rumors are already starting to fly. In the last week, separate Norwegian reports have claimed that a) former MLS suitors Columbus recently sent scouts out to watch him play for RBK & b) teams from Qatar were calling to pitch a lucrative Middle East move (http://www.nettavisen.no/sport/fotball/mix---qatar-er-en-spennende-mulighet/8504790.html).
Though not one to discuss such matters publicly, Diskerud did tell reporters this weekend that he had no knowledge of a Crew visit (http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/fotball/eliteserien/Mix---Ukjent-med-USA-interesse-466131_1.snd). He also politely stated that he would only be pondering his options after discussing his future with Rosenborg.
So where is he going? Diskerud is a very loyal guy, but he is also one to get excited about the idea of performing in the United States for a while. That said, it seems most reasonable that he would finally grab a chance to try his lot in a tougher league like the Eredivisie, or even the Bundesliga. As nice as the money would be, a move to Qatar would do nothing for his career and Mix has US call-ups to consider.

BuSaPuNk
11-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Mix would be someone i would look at. Bradley and him would know each other. Hes on a 1.4€ contract right now. We would probably be looking at a DP type contract. Would all matter what happens in the CBA and if there is another DP slot available to teams.

Areathrasher
11-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Mix Diskerud himself posts on BigSoccer in the thread that monitors him in the Yanks Abroad section.

He said his options were Greece, Russia, Qatar or UAE.

OgtheDim
11-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Mix and Bradley together at TFC?

Klinsmann would be apoplectic.

Mix Diskerud himself posts on BigSoccer in the thread that monitors him in the Yanks Abroad section.

He said his options were Greece, Russia, Qatar or UAE.

Needs to get a better agent.

ag futbol
11-03-2014, 09:35 PM
I would pass on Mix. He'd tie up a DP slot, be missing frequently on international dates, and probably isn't quite at the level of the top AMs in the league.

The late 20s, non-international, with a solid track record but no image / ego is the way to go.

Haddy
11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Take another run at Maxi Moralez. Looks like his contract is still set to expire in June.

portu
11-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Take another run at Maxi Moralez. Looks like his contract is still set to expire in June.
The guy would get run over in this league

Yohan
11-04-2014, 12:20 AM
The guy would get run over in this league
like Joao Plata gets run over in this league?

portu
11-04-2014, 08:45 AM
like Joao Plata gets run over in this league?

I know what you mean I just don't have confidence in leaving the keys to our offense to a 5'3" guy

edit: feel its also worth noting that plata has had time to adjust his game to the league

Red I
11-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Apparantly 'Arry at QPR is at it again, claiming he's willing to take Defoe at 90k pounds per week... The more he says Defoe is leaving, the more I believe he's sticking around

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/qpr/transfer-talk/news/qpr-confident-of-signing-defoe_186430.html

Stress
11-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah, but Plata was also a teenager leaving his home country for the first time.

I'd give Maxi Moralez consideration again.

Also other short players to note, Defoe at 5'5.5" and Marvin Chavez at 5'5"

ryan
11-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Apparantly 'Arry at QPR is at it again, claiming he's willing to take Defoe at 90k pounds per week... The more he says Defoe is leaving, the more I believe he's sticking around

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/qpr/transfer-talk/news/qpr-confident-of-signing-defoe_186430.html

Maybe TFC is getting QPR to do us a favour. Have them keep running their mouths about interest in Defoe (although not genuine) so that another club takes the bait and makes an offer.

jloome
11-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Yeah, but Plata was also a teenager leaving his home country for the first time.

I'd give Maxi Moralez consideration again.

Also other short players to note, Defoe at 5'5.5" and Marvin Chavez at 5'5"

Again, South America is literally loaded with guys this good or better.

Daniel Chavez

http://ca.soccerway.com/players/daniel-chavez/13170/

Excellent forward, plays best in the hole; had a shot at Europe when he was younger, did okay but didn't stick in Belgium. Now 26, much more mature, great foot skills, great passer, great finisher, good speed. Can shoot from distance, play in the hole, play wide, play up top.

Seriously, look him up on youtube. He's an excellent talent, and I'd bet the Peruvian league is not exactly paying top dollar.

PopePouri
11-04-2014, 11:12 AM
I know what you mean I just don't have confidence in leaving the keys to our offense to a 5'3" guy

edit: feel its also worth noting that plata has had time to adjust his game to the league

Yes but Moralez has had 5 years of Serie A experience going up against beasts like Vidal, De Rossi, Bradley, Pogba, De Jong, M'Vila, Guarin, Strootman, Essien. He'll be fine.

molenshtain
11-04-2014, 11:16 AM
I haven't seen Moralez since the U20's in '07. How has he progressed? I know he sort of flamed out in eastern europe.

Slick
11-04-2014, 11:38 AM
I haven't seen Moralez since the U20's in '07. How has he progressed? I know he sort of flamed out in eastern europe.

I remember Moralez being one of the standout players from that tournament along with Aguero and Di Maria. What a treat it was to watch them live.

OgtheDim
11-04-2014, 12:08 PM
FWIW
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/qpr-confident-jermain-defoe-will-agree-to-threeyear-90kaweek-deal-in-january-9838157.html

brad
11-04-2014, 12:39 PM
I remember Moralez being one of the standout players from that tournament along with Aguero and Di Maria. What a treat it was to watch them live.

Indeed. Totally off tangent - but wow, look at some of the players that were at that tournament - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_FIFA_U-20_World_Cup_squads

TFC1154ever
11-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Thats crazy.

TFC07
11-04-2014, 12:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/527856135768784896/wc7DG4p5_normal.pngDuane Rollins @24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute) · 11m11 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/529689176531542017)

Between £9-million transfer for Defoe & likely $500,000 for Laba, #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash)'s going to have a/t $1-million to spend.Welcome to Toronto @BrekShea (https://twitter.com/BrekShea)!

TFC07
11-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Brek Shea, eh? What's his situation? Is he still playing in England?

OgtheDim
11-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Shea will need at least a season to adjust to actually playing again.

We can do better.

PopePouri
11-04-2014, 12:58 PM
For sub 250k, sure.

OgtheDim
11-04-2014, 01:03 PM
If you read down rollins twitter feed, he is just trolling putting that name out there.

Initial B
11-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Yeah, about Laba...
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2014/11/whitecaps-final-media-availability

On the status of Matias Laba:
“There’s a fee agreed [with Toronto FC] to take Matias Laba and we will be doing that because he’s been fantastic for us and a big part of this club moving forward. It will be settled and Mati will be coming back next year.”
I guess that Bez didn't make the Laba trade "Prohibitively expensive" enough to get him back at the end of the season. :(
I have to say that's a Strike against Bez in my books. Obviously Laba wasn't rated as highly in the organization as we seem to think. Then again, it's probably for the best for him - why would he want to come back to TFC after being a part of a well-managed club? Heck, why would any player who has heart and drive (and not just looking for a paycheck) want to come here now?

Wagner
11-04-2014, 01:16 PM
i'm not in the know...
how reliable is the Standard?

ryan
11-04-2014, 01:22 PM
I don't want Shea at any wage. Terrible attitude, this club has enough of that.

Areathrasher
11-04-2014, 01:59 PM
i'm not in the know...
how reliable is the Standard?

Not very.

The best ITK guy for QPR is a guy called Dave McIntyre. When he says something on Defoe, take it as gospel.

https://twitter.com/davidmcintyre76

And on Shea, Greg Seltzer says his camp want to get him a move to Holland. MLS is the fall back option.

Oldtimer
11-04-2014, 02:05 PM
If you read down rollins twitter feed, he is just trolling putting that name out there.

Don't be too trusting. The guy likes to be controversial to get page views.

mowe
11-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Don't be too trusting. The guy likes to be controversial to get page views.

Eh, not really. He tweets some random stuff just to get a reaction but his articles on CSN are normal.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Yeah, about Laba...
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2014/11/whitecaps-final-media-availability

I guess that Bez didn't make the Laba trade "Prohibitively expensive" enough to get him back at the end of the season. :(
I have to say that's a Strike against Bez in my books. Obviously Laba wasn't rated as highly in the organization as we seem to think. Then again, it's probably for the best for him - why would he want to come back to TFC after being a part of a well-managed club? Heck, why would any player who has heart and drive (and not just looking for a paycheck) want to come here now?

ah, man if Defoe had worked out we still wouldnt have been able to bring him back

ag futbol
11-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Basically the league let us hold four DPs on our roster as a favour but that's as far as the charity went. The trade that happened for Laba after is a wash, because at that point we're forced sellers. The league wouldn't let us hold on while we bargain and we're coming from a weak position. Not surprising we got very little.

Should have been considered as part of the cost of signing Bradley in the first place. Big transfer fee, large salary, and loss of a great DM later.. How far ahead are we?

Add on Urruti for Gilberto which cost more money, this club starts to look like the MLS version of Real Madrid, paving over everything with more money and signings (minus the winning).

I know "it's not our money", but everything adds up eventually.

Richard
11-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Bez shouldn't have lied in the first place, it simple as that to be honest. I don't think many would complain if he straight up said that we are trading Laba away for Bradley, that's actually a sensible decision.

Again, like others have said, this club doesn't respect the IQ of its fans.

"We didn't just fall off the turnip truck"
-Ensco

azorean
11-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Basically the league let us hold four DPs on our roster as a favour but that's as far as the charity went. The trade that happened for Laba after is a wash, because at that point we're forced sellers. The league wouldn't let us hold on while we bargain and we're coming from a weak position. Not surprising we got very little.

Should have been considered as part of the cost of signing Bradley in the first place. Big transfer fee, large salary, and loss of a great DM later.. How far ahead are we?

Add on Urruti for Gilberto which cost more money, this club starts to look like the MLS version of Real Madrid, paving over everything with more money and signings (minus the winning).

I know "it's not our money", but everything adds up eventually.

crazy to think of the money spent and what we got in return. Give any other club our budget and........... Someone/something is at fault here.

Red I
11-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Bez shouldn't have lied in the first place, it simple as that to be honest. I don't think many would complain if he straight up said that we are trading Laba away for Bradley, that's actually a sensible decision.

Again, like others have said, this club doesn't respect the IQ of its fans.

"We didn't just fall off the turnip truck"
-Ensco

I'm confused - he lied?

Richard
11-04-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm confused - he lied?

He said that Van would have to pay a very steep price to keep him. I'm not sure if that 500k is allocation or just cash, neither is good enough for me since I think we paid about 1.5M for him.

“But Vancouver has a high hurdle to get over in order to keep him permanently. Let’s just put it that way. We’re comfortable that if they do, we’ll be in a very good position to reinvest (what we receive) into the team to make us better in a big way.”

azorean
11-04-2014, 04:42 PM
He said that Van would have to pay a very steep price to keep him. I'm not sure if that 500k is allocation or just cash, neither is good enough for me.

move on, laba is good but not irreplaceable, come on.......

PopePouri
11-04-2014, 04:46 PM
He said that Van would have to pay a very steep price to keep him. I'm not sure if that 500k is allocation or just cash, neither is good enough for me since I think we paid about 1.5M for him.

He didn't lie.

You can't get $1.5 million allocation. They had to pay a "transfer fee" to keep him. Of that transfer fee, we get allocation money.

Greatest Ripoff
11-04-2014, 04:52 PM
move on, laba is good but not irreplaceable, come on.......

Ok who can replace him and do as good as a job?

Red I
He didn't lie.

You can't get $1.5 million allocation. They had to pay a "transfer fee" to keep him. Of that transfer fee, we get allocation money.

That may be more accurate, ya. Considering $500k comes right off the cap and we have Michael Bradley in our midfield - I dunno, sounds like a pretty good deal to me

portu
He didn't lie.

Theres no limit to allocation received in a trade. Specifically remember Payne saying this after the Silva trade.

Red I
11-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Theres no limit to allocation received in a trade. Specifically remember Payne saying this after the Silva trade.

Yes, but you have to have allocation (cap space) to give it - can't just say "I want Henry and I'll give you $10 Mill in allocation for him, but since he's a DP, it's off the books, so that sounds fair!" There are no set 'limits', but there are parameters with which you have to work between - plus, it's MLS, they make this stuff up as it goes along

kuku
11-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Neil Davidson Article:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/leiweke-says-toronto-fc-knows-wants-defoe-doesnt-214008954--sow.html

azorean
11-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Ok who can replace him and do as good as a job?

good scouting will take care of that. players all over south/central America would love to hear from tfc$ i am sure. Again, laba is a good player. Not convinced though though there are"nt more laba's to be found/scouted. Especially given tfc's resource$.

PopePouri
11-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Yes, but you have to have allocation (cap space) to give it - can't just say "I want Henry and I'll give you $10 Mill in allocation for him, but since he's a DP, it's off the books, so that sounds fair!" There are no set 'limits', but there are parameters with which you have to work between - plus, it's MLS, they make this stuff up as it goes along

That's probably even more accurate. The main thing is the transfer and allocation are separate bucks of cash.

If Defoe goes, I think we get allocation as well from the transfer.

Ajax TFC
11-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Bez didn't lie, but he made it seem like we would get some serious team building assets ("Steep price") if Vancouver decided to keep Laba. Them paying his transfer fee is not a steep price. Nor does it help us in any way. I'm just sick of losing to Vancouver in every deal we make with them. They've been fucking us since before they even played their first game. We gave them a first round pick for Nathan Sturgis. We gave them a first round pick for Eric fucking Hassli, and when we took Terry Dunfield off their hands, we gave them the rights to Kevin Aleman (not that that one matters anymore since I don't think they still have his rights, but it's the principal of it). And how is it that after a year in MLS with TFC, during which time he showed that he can play in MLS (therefore eliminating the risk that comes with signing an international), Laba's value isn't any greater than when TFC brought him to the league as an unknown quality?

PopePouri
11-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Bez didn't lie, but he made it seem like we would get some serious team building assets ("Steep price") if Vancouver decided to keep Laba. Them paying his transfer fee is not a steep price. Nor does it help us in any way. I'm just sick of losing to Vancouver in every deal we make with them. They've been fucking us since before they even played their first game. We gave them a first round pick for Nathan Sturgis. We gave them a first round pick for Eric fucking Hassli, and when we took Terry Dunfield off their hands, we gave them the rights to Kevin Aleman (not that that one matters anymore since I don't think they still have his rights, but it's the principal of it). And how is it that after a year in MLS with TFC, during which time he showed that he can play in MLS (therefore eliminating the risk that comes with signing an international), Laba's value isn't any greater than when TFC brought him to the league as an unknown quality?

But it's reported to 500k allocation, that's a lot of cap space. We'll have to see how Vanney uses it to see if they did really win the trade or not.

Yohan
11-04-2014, 05:17 PM
500k in allocation money is a lot for most MLS teams. but between Camilo transfer fee, making CCL and you suck money for not making playoffs, Caps have enough allocation money that 500k is a big hit, but not crippling.

TFC07
11-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Neil Davidson Article:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/leiweke-says-toronto-fc-knows-wants-defoe-doesnt-214008954--sow.html
So we're going to have a new DP who TFC/MLSE already know and probably have been in contact with.

I wonder who's this DP?

Also, article makes sound like Gilberto and Bradley are staying next year which is great news to us.

Ajax TFC
11-04-2014, 05:20 PM
I think you're right, but it seems like a bit of a loophole in the system. You could spend 10m on a DP, then the next year you sell them for say 5m, but you get allocation from the sale, which counts toward the cap. You can then pay 10m for a different DP. So from one season to the next, you have the same number of DPs, but you've gained cap space in the form of allocation money even though you lost money.

ag futbol
11-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Without proof it's meaningless. At the very least he is intentionally misleading with his statements.

Lack of league disclosure leaving fans in the dark.

On a separate note: Leiweke says TFC has it's target should Defoe leave.

OgtheDim
11-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Neil Davidson Article:

..We know where we are going. If we have a DP (designated player) slot open, we already know who we're going after.....

They better. Otherwise they are no better then Mo.

And about that allocation - 500K can get you a HECK of a lot in this league.

Stress
11-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I don't know if they have a specific dp lined up per se. Could just be referring to the obvious target of a dp AM.

Derko
11-04-2014, 06:04 PM
good scouting will take care of that. players all over south/central America would love to hear from tfc$ i am sure. Again, laba is a good player. Not convinced though though there are"nt more laba's to be found/scouted. Especially given tfc's resource$.

Yes WE as supporters have been saying the same thing since inception. The big question is WHEN will TFC brass realize what we have realized for years. FFS. And the bolded comment, other teams in MLS seem to able to pick up those player, why the hell can't TFC with all the MLSE dosh that is out there do it???

Auzzy
11-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Neil Davidson Article:

Oh goodie, Tim Leiweke guarantees us something. RE Defoe staying or going, he says "The one thing I can promise our fans — one way or another, this will end well for TFC. (I) guarantee it."

I'm going to take that right to the fucking bank.

NolbertoS
11-04-2014, 06:44 PM
How about us chasing Forlan again?? Is he older and damaged goods now?? Gilberto would benefit better with forlan playing the attacking mid role and than Bradley can concentrate as a DM.

ag futbol
11-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Oh goodie, Tim Leiweke guarantees us something. RE Defoe staying or going, he says "The one thing I can promise our fans — one way or another, this will end well for TFC. (I) guarantee it."

I'm going to take that right to the fucking bank.
You mean you didn't enjoy the playoffs this year?

RealG-TFC
11-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Yes WE as supporters have been saying the same thing since inception. The big question is WHEN will TFC brass realize what we have realized for years. FFS. And the bolded comment, other teams in MLS seem to able to pick up those player, why the hell can't TFC with all the MLSE dosh that is out there do it???

If we could somehow clone Amado Guevara.

RealG-TFC
11-04-2014, 06:53 PM
How about us chasing Forlan again?? Is he older and damaged goods now?? Gilberto would benefit better with forlan playing the attacking mid role and than Bradley can concentrate as a DM.

He's just going to get injured and be out for half the season like Defoe. I say our best bet is to have Gilberto recruit some of his Brazilian buddies to come and we rely on them for creativity. Seems to work with the Galaxy.

Ajax TFC
11-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Is there any source other than a Duane tweet implying it that says that TFC is getting 500k in allocation from Vancouver? Up until that, everyone who talked to Bez was saying that TFC was just getting the actual transfer fee from Vancouver, aka cold hard cash not MLS monopoly money

reggie
11-04-2014, 07:54 PM
talking to bez a few weeks he said that VAN will have to pay TFC the same transfer fee that TFC paided...no allo involved...
but who knows with this club and all there secrets.

mcolvy
11-04-2014, 08:22 PM
I took some time to dig into all of the stuff Vanney has said about how he wants the team to play and the system he would like to run. It is hard to say what his final product would look like, because he doesn't have any previous experience, but from what he has said it sounds like he would like something similar to how Portland plays.
A 4-3-3/4-2-3-1... Always attacking with purpose and pushing the game. Fullbacks playing high.
I see Gilberto as the Adi/Urruti playing high and keeping defenses honest. Bradley playing a similar role to his buddy Will Johnson, that box to box role but still being able to impact a game offensively.

We need to bring in a ton of other players though if we want to play this style.... Obvious the AM in Valeri.. but where do you find cheap domestic wide players like Nagbe?

molenshtain
11-04-2014, 08:28 PM
They don't have to be domestic. I suspect we'll have a fair bit of cap space and international spots open for this off-season, along with our draft picks.

Areathrasher
11-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Fire Insider ‏@FireInsider (https://twitter.com/FireInsider) 18m18 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/FireInsider/status/529807632371314689)
Fire decline options on: Ianni, Fondy, Soumare, Alex, Segares, Jumper. Joya loan option also declined. #cf97 (https://twitter.com/hashtag/cf97?src=hash)

molenshtain
11-04-2014, 08:50 PM
I'd take Hunter Jumper on name the alone.

gdg_9
11-04-2014, 10:08 PM

I think you're right, but it seems like a bit of a loophole in the system. You could spend 10m on a DP, then the next year you sell them for say 5m, but you get allocation from the sale, which counts toward the cap. You can then pay 10m for a different DP. So from one season to the next, you have the same number of DPs, but you've gained cap space in the form of allocation money even though you lost money.

I was thinking about this when reading the Davidson article as well.
I actually came on here to ask if anyone knows more about this?

If we sell Defoe for a transfer fee, do we get allocation from that?

If so, and we sign another high level DP, that means we'll have basically swapped Defoe for another DP plus a bunch of extra cap space (allocation), since any transfer fee paid for a new DP won't count against Cap.

Can anyone shed some light on this potential situation?

CBTFC
11-04-2014, 10:10 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jermain-defoe-join-qpr-survival-4566997

Yohan
11-04-2014, 10:18 PM
I was thinking about this when reading the Davidson article as well.
I actually came on here to ask if anyone knows more about this?

If we sell Defoe for a transfer fee, do we get allocation from that?

If so, and we sign another high level DP, that means we'll have basically swapped Defoe for another DP plus a bunch of extra cap space (allocation), since any transfer fee paid for a new DP won't count against Cap.

Can anyone shed some light on this potential situation?
don't quote me on this, but you can only get allocation money if you receive higher transfer fee than you spent buying the player

gdg_9
11-04-2014, 10:23 PM
don't quote me on this, but you can only get allocation money if you receive higher transfer fee than you spent buying the player

That would make more sense, and close that potential loophole.

Too bad...

notthesun
11-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Quoting from the building in the offseason thread because this is a better place to continue this

CB watch: Montreal announced they will decline Matteo Ferrari and Futty Danso's contract options. Ferrari is an interesting case. Up there in age at 34 (same as Caldwell), but had a decently healthy season, playing 25 games and 2148 minutes (by comparison, Caldwell played 21 games and 1774 minutes). Led Montreal in interceptions and clearances per game, and was their 4th best player by WhoScored's ratings.

Issue with Ferrari is cap related, and that is the reason cited by Montreal for not re-signing him. He was on 355k according to the latest players' union numbers (Caldwell earned 364k). As a player over 23 years old with 3 years of MLS experience, Ferrari qualifies for the Re-Entry Draft and would be available at whatever his option salary is set at in his contract. Since Montreal did not pick it up we can assume it's probably hefty and likely around the 355k he earned last year.

Danso made 87k last year and also qualifies for the Re-Entry Draft. I wouldn't be interested in him though.

CB watch continues: Chicago Fire decline options on Patrick Ianni and Bakary Soumare. Ianni is 29, had 12 appearances last season, 6.77 rating on WhoScored and made $150 000 last year. Does have an 82% pass completion rate (above Caldwell and Henry), but that makes Ferrari look even better with his 85%. Soumare is 28, had 26 appearances with a 6.97 rating, and made a whopping $370 000 with Chicago. Given that price tag I'd prefer Ferrari despite his age.

portu
11-04-2014, 10:37 PM
no way we'd be allowed to run away with 5m+ in allocation if defoe turned profit

Yohan
11-04-2014, 10:41 PM
no way we'd be allowed to run away with 5m+ in allocation if defoe turned profit
you can get max of 650k in allocation money per transfer fee

portu
11-04-2014, 10:41 PM
with a fourth dp spot seemingly imminent do we use it and if so do we go for a winger or do we complete the middle three with Bradley and the CAM coming in?

Pookie
11-04-2014, 10:46 PM
The latest Tim L quote on the Defoe saga:

""Jermain needs to decide if he wants to be here. If he does, then I think he's one of the great strikers in MLS. If he does not, then that situation is ours to ultimately decide — not his — because we own his contract. We're not going to give him away. And so we're in a good spot.

"The one thing I can promise our fans — one way or another, this will end well for TFC. (I) guarantee it."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-has-plan-b-if-jermain-defoe-leaves-1.2823785

Now it may have already ended. Paul Smith of the London Evening Standard reports:

"Queens Park Rangers have a deal in place to sign Jermain Defoe when the transfer window reopens in January.
Rangers boss Harry Redknapp is confident Defoe will move to Loftus Road from FC Toronto on a three-year contract worth around £90,000 a week."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/qpr-confident-jermain-defoe-will-agree-to-threeyear-90kaweek-deal-in-january-9838157.html

Yohan
11-04-2014, 10:49 PM
with a fourth dp spot seemingly imminent do we use it and if so do we go for a winger or do we complete the middle three with Bradley and the CAM coming in?
I'd rather go for a DP CB, which has been a position we have been traditionally weak in.

portu
11-04-2014, 10:54 PM
http://www.givemesport.com/514065-rafael-van-der-vaart-eyes-italian-job-after-his-contract-at-hamburg-runs-out

Vand der Vaart out of favour at Hamburg

molenshtain
11-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Quoting from the building in the offseason thread because this is a better place to continue this

CB watch continues: Chicago Fire decline options on Patrick Ianni and Bakary Soumare. Ianni is 29, had 12 appearances last season, 6.77 rating on WhoScored and made $150 000 last year. Does have an 82% pass completion rate (above Caldwell and Henry), but that makes Ferrari look even better with his 85%. Soumare is 28, had 26 appearances with a 6.97 rating, and made a whopping $370 000 with Chicago. Given that price tag I'd prefer Ferrari despite his age.

Ianni would be good as a 3rd CB.

Yohan
11-04-2014, 11:10 PM
http://www.givemesport.com/514065-rafael-van-der-vaart-eyes-italian-job-after-his-contract-at-hamburg-runs-out

if TFC is getting a CAM, it'd probably be from SA. more hits than miss in terms of quality and be able to adapt to MLS, plus cheaper

portu
11-04-2014, 11:32 PM
if TFC is getting a CAM, it'd probably be from SA. more hits than miss in terms of quality and be able to adapt to MLS, plus cheaper
I know, just thought it was of note

NolbertoS
11-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Somebody in the Caps forum stated they saw Sportsnet confirm Defoe is going to QPR. Has it been "officially" stated?? Thought it was unofficial so far.

mcolvy
11-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Price doesnt matter. We have 11$M + 6Million/per year salary to reinvest with Defoe gone. We can spend hard on an AM.

Yohan
11-04-2014, 11:49 PM
Price doesnt matter. We have 11$M + 6Million/per year salary to reinvest with Defoe gone. We can spend hard on an AM.
it does matter. why pay more when you can get same quality for cheaper? not taking shirt selling into factor

Ajax TFC
11-04-2014, 11:56 PM

He's a 70 minute player with short hamstrings which is why he routinely injures them. And he was a 70 minute player several years ago. I haven't followed him since he went to HSV, but I'm assuming he has less in his tank now. But his injury history alone makes him a do-not-consider

molenshtain
11-04-2014, 11:58 PM
He's a 70 minute player with short hamstrings which is why he routinely injures them. And he was a 70 minute player several years ago. I haven't followed him since he went to HSV, but I'm assuming he has less in his tank now. But his injury history alone makes him a do-not-consider

he's really awful at this point. can barely run.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-05-2014, 12:00 AM

no thanks, too old, too much attitude, too injured and too Scheisse HSV.

We gotta try and steer clear of these types of dudes. They havent worked before why now?

JuliquE
11-05-2014, 05:14 AM

I'd rather go for a DP CB, which has been a position we have been traditionally weak in.
I feel like maybe, over the years, the three DP model, in particular for where we were, as a club, was not the wisest choice; we should have prioritized keeping DP's to a minimum, at two, to then reinvest what we'd spend on a third, as well as any allocation and otherwise benefits we might, now, qualify for, into building a quality/solid core of players, be they foreign or domestic, first (from day one).

Having said that, I feel like we're very close, if slightly needing to improve in one or two areas, as far as our core of players are concerned. So, yeh.. I'd have to agree that it's now safe for us to maximize DP's, even if results don't necessarily reflect that we've "arrived," so to speak. I'd be a bit weary on using the new DP slot on a CB, though. I think that, as you've already pointed out, Yohan, in MLS, you can maybe get away with decent CB's.. but, I think that the skill-set of a quality DM is a bit trickier to find; Alonso, remember, is now a DP, and I don't think, with as many caps for his national side as he has, that Beckerman would be too far off from such status (perhaps age is a factor, there). Not to mention the pressure, in Toronto especially, and after JDG, on a defensive player getting DP wages; at least, being a DM, there's a good chance he pots one or two, to keep some of the lesser informed fans quiet (believe Laba used to get chirped at, even).

As I've stated earlier in the thread, I'd go for an AM replacement for Defoe, a new, DP DM, and a stud CB, for Caldwell to groom/help acclimate, in what is likely his last year with us. Do these things, and we're set.

DoubleUp
11-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Just a name: But Thiago Neveshttp://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/thiago-neves/profil/spieler/53262 would be ideal signing for the club to pursue in the attack and could bring the best out of Gilberto.

Or a player of that mold and quality.

ensco
11-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Can we just buy this team? Seriously, how much would that cost?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/sports/soccer/scottish-club-hamilton-academical-combines-soccer-and-sobriety.html?ref=sports&_r=0

PopePouri
11-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Just a name: But Thiago Neveshttp://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/thiago-neves/profil/spieler/53262 would be ideal signing for the club to pursue in the attack and could bring the best out of Gilberto.

Or a player of that mold and quality.

Quality player but he seems to be happy in the Saudi Arabia.

gdg_9
11-05-2014, 09:59 AM

Agreed.

With the 3 DP's, I don't think that money is best spent at CB.
But if a fourth spot is added, a CB would make sense to complete the spine of the team.

CB - DM/Box to box - AM - Striker.

Complemented with cheaper FB's, wide players, and depth.

Yohan
11-05-2014, 10:10 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2014/11/05/jermain_defoe_to_leave_toronto_fc_for_queens_park_ rangers_report.html

Neil Davidson is quoting the Standard article. must mean something is definitely up with QPR deal

Ajax TFC
11-05-2014, 10:46 AM
The thing that worries me is that we could catch up to MLS 2.0 this offseason, but the new CBA could usher in MLS 3.0. My hope is that we take full advantage of whatever changes occur in the new CBA. For example, a significant cap increase means we should be able to sign internationals to plug holes at CB, DM, and AM. But while we're doing that to bring the team up to the level it needed to be to do well this year, the teams that did well this year will be taking advantage of a cap increase to pull further away from us.

Ultra & Proud
11-05-2014, 11:01 AM
So if we get $500k in allocation for Laba from Vancouver and whatever we get for Defoe's transfer to QPR then we should have a massive stockpile of cash to hammer that re-entry draft hard. I hope Bez learned form what DC just did and we follow that blueprint. I have heard the right things so far but I want to see it before I believe anything anymore.

Also, what's up with Camillo in Mexico? He work out? Get paid? Play at all? I'd take a look at him if he wanted a MLS return.

Canary10
11-05-2014, 11:03 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2014/11/05/jermain_defoe_to_leave_toronto_fc_for_queens_park_ rangers_report.html

Neil Davidson is quoting the Standard article. must mean something is definitely up with QPR deal

I don't see him quoted in that article.

Areathrasher
11-05-2014, 11:08 AM
So if we get $500k in allocation for Laba from Vancouver and whatever we get for Defoe's transfer to QPR then we should have a massive stockpile of cash to hammer that re-entry draft hard. I hope Bez learned form what DC just did and we follow that blueprint. I have heard the right things so far but I want to see it before I believe anything anymore.

Also, what's up with Camillo in Mexico? He work out? Get paid? Play at all? I'd take a look at him if he wanted a MLS return.

Doubt it. He's second top scorer in Liga MX and seems to be enjoying playing with Ronaldinho :lol:

Yohan
11-05-2014, 11:09 AM
I don't see him quoted in that article.
Neil Davidson wrote that article. I don't think he's the type to write an article on this on mere speculation

Ultra & Proud
11-05-2014, 11:09 AM
I don't see much in that either but I believe the deal is done. It's crazy to believe Defoe would return or that we'd want him back. He should've been sold in August. Glad to be moving on from this one and I have zero regrets about it.

With his sale and subsequent allocation along with the Laba funds, we should be able to fill our holes with proven MLS vets in the re-entry draft. These two moves, if the money is spent right, could put us in a great position for next season. Of course there is still the questions of us doing the right moves and/or if Vanney can do anything but on paper, we're in a good spot to prepare for next season.

Ultra & Proud
11-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Doubt it. He's second top scorer in Liga MX and seems to be enjoying playing with Ronaldinho :lol:
I never even checked. Last I heard he wasn't getting paid.

Areathrasher
11-05-2014, 11:17 AM
I never even checked. Last I heard he wasn't getting paid.

Yea the club then changed ownership and all is good.

Ultra & Proud
11-05-2014, 11:26 AM
My only fear is that with Lieweke on board still he may want to make a splash with another name DP signing to save face and drum up ticket sales. Just praying it's not Gerrard. I always liked him and he is good but he isn't the answer for us. I hope we aim younger than that and not base any more major signings on name and ticket sales unless of course, the signing is another young(ish) proven U.S international.

Canary10
11-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Neil Davidson wrote that article. I don't think he's the type to write an article on this on mere speculation

The Standard one is written by Paul Smith. The Star one is "reporting" on the Standard one. Whenever you see "report" in the headline, take anything in it with a grain of salt.

PopePouri
11-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Here's my wish list for attacking AM:

Ezequiel Óscar Scarione (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezequiel_%C3%93scar_Scarione)
Hernanez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernanes)
Diego (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Ribas_da_Cunha)
Matias Fernandez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat%C3%ADas_Fern%C3%A1ndez)
Bryan Ruiz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Ruiz)

mcolvy
11-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Aurelien Collin may be available. Money is going to talk. He is on like 275, and probably can command close to a DP deal. I'd pay it...

arsenal
11-05-2014, 12:13 PM

Has it been confirmed that we are getting allocation $ for either? I know we are getting $ for both but it any of it going to translate into actual allocation? I believe I saw some speculation that allocation $ from transfer would only come into play if in excess of transfer fee paid for the player ..... if so cant see more than $1.5M being paid for Laba or $10M for Defoe.

Ultra & Proud
11-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Has it been confirmed that we are getting allocation $ for either? I know we are getting $ for both but it any of it going to translate into actual allocation? I believe I saw some speculation that allocation $ from transfer would only come into play if in excess of transfer fee paid for the player ..... if so cant see more than $1.5M being paid for Laba or $10M for Defoe.
All rumors but the word is $500K allocation for Laba and Defoe's transfer is probably assuming the deal from August is the same. No matter what I think we will have a good chunk of coin to spend.

OgtheDim
11-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Aurelien Collin may be available. Money is going to talk. He is on like 275, and probably can command close to a DP deal. I'd pay it...

At his age and with his red card proclivity, no.

Ultra & Proud
11-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Agree. He isn't worth it regardless of what the cap goes up to.

Yohan
11-05-2014, 12:57 PM
no more red card prone than Doneil Henry. 3 reds in 4 season, though 2 of them this season. not only a solid CB, he's a threat off of set piece, usually good for 2-3 goals a season. dude is still in his prime, 29 in Mar. based upon his 4 seasons at SKC, he's worth max wage money. you want a good CB with proven MLS experience? hard to find a lot of those guys available (even if Collin is a bit of a douchebag)

and I still remember this play (at 5:45 mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV4O1_fee5A

Ajax TFC
11-05-2014, 12:58 PM
All rumors but the word is $500K allocation for Laba and Defoe's transfer is probably assuming the deal from August is the same. No matter what I think we will have a good chunk of coin to spend.
the "word" that we're getting 500k allocation for Laba seems to come from solely from a Duane tweet, rather than anyone who heard it from Bez or the Vancouver side

Areathrasher
11-05-2014, 01:04 PM
http://www.thegoatparade.com/2014/11/5/7153099/your-chivas-usa-dispersal-draft-guide-mls-2014-2015-dan-kennedy-cubo-torres

Good read on Chivas roster ahead of the dispersal draft.

Globetrotter
11-05-2014, 01:11 PM
The latest Tim L quote on the Defoe saga:

"The one thing I can promise our fans — one way or another, this will end well for TFC. (I) guarantee it."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-has-plan-b-if-jermain-defoe-leaves-1.2823785

We have yet to receive - or hear of news of how we will be - compensation for his failed guarantee for making the playoffs. TL can promise all he wants, and break promises all he wants with limited repercussions.

When you get into guarantees, there's some type of compensation or repercussion when a guarantee fails.

His guarantees mean little.

Ultra & Proud
11-05-2014, 01:38 PM
the "word" that we're getting 500k allocation for Laba seems to come from solely from a Duane tweet, rather than anyone who heard it from Bez or the Vancouver side
He's been bang on about a lot of stuff lately so I wouldn't do the usual thing around here and just blindly dismiss him.

ag futbol
11-05-2014, 01:50 PM
no more red card prone than Doneil Henry. 3 reds in 4 season, though 2 of them this season. not only a solid CB, he's a threat off of set piece, usually good for 2-3 goals a season. dude is still in his prime, 29 in Mar. based upon his 4 seasons at SKC, he's worth max wage money. you want a good CB with proven MLS experience? hard to find a lot of those guys available (even if Collin is a bit of a douchebag)

and I still remember this play (at 5:45 mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV4O1_fee5A
But I think it's a given that Doniel Henry isn't the standard we are setting here, so no point in that comparison.

gdg_9
11-05-2014, 01:51 PM
http://www.thegoatparade.com/2014/11/5/7153099/your-chivas-usa-dispersal-draft-guide-mls-2014-2015-dan-kennedy-cubo-torres

Good read on Chivas roster ahead of the dispersal draft.

Jean-Baptiste (D) - If Henry leaves, and with Orr also leaving, J-B could fill a need as a good, young depth CB. We would still need to find another starting caliber CB on top of this though, as J-B would be coming in as a #3-4.

Kennedy (G) - For those wanting an upgrade on Bendik, Kennedy could be that guy. For me, this only makes sense if we can then move Bendik for something of value.

Donny Toia (D) - 22 year old FB who could fill a role as cheap young depth, with the hope he might be able to follow in Bloom's footsteps and become an everyday player. Also, I would assume Vanney is familiar with him, as he was the first player to graduate from Real Salt Lake's Academy, which Vanney helped establish and ran at the time Toia graduated.

Thomas McNamara (M) - Could provide some good, young, versatile depth in MF. He's coming off major knee surgery, so that's always a risk, but he's on a cheap salary, so would likely slot in roster spots 21-30 and not count against the budget anyway.
Also of note, he was drafted in 2014 Superdraft. Bez was supposedly very involved with this draft class while working for the league, so he would have some familiarity with him.

Caleb Calvert (F) & Marco Delgado (M) - 18 and 19 year old Home Grown players. Chivas' academy system was probably one of the only bright spots in the organization, so it might be worth taking a flyer on these kids to add some more quality youth to our system, even if they end up spending next year on loan to USLPro or elsewhere. Also, Vanney would likely be familiar with both from his time at Chivas.

OF NOTE:

Reo-Coker - I would look at Reo-Coker, but not in the dispersal draft. His current salary is too high, but if no team takes him and his contract is terminated, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in on a cheaper wage as a DM.

Canary10
11-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Collin had an ok year by his standard this year. Had a superb season the year before - in fact probably the best CB in the league that season. Given that we all agree we are in need of an experienced MLS CB, I'm scratching my head a little at so many people dismissing him out of hand. If not him then who?

Yohan
11-05-2014, 01:55 PM
But I think it's a given that Doniel Henry isn't the standard we are setting here, so no point in that comparison.
my point was if you think Henry and his bonehead card collecting ways are worth keeping around, Collin isn't as bad as Henry in that regard

gdg_9
11-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Collin had an ok year by his standard this year. Had a superb season the year before - in fact probably the best CB in the league that season. Given that we all agree we are in need of an experienced MLS CB, I'm scratching my head a little at so many people dismissing him out of hand. If not him then who?

I think most people are dismissing him at a DP Salary, not as a player in general.
I'd agree with that.
If you are going to spend DP money on a CB, I think you can do better than Collin

Yohan
11-05-2014, 02:19 PM
I think most people are dismissing him at a DP Salary, not as a player in general.
I'd agree with that.
If you are going to spend DP money on a CB, I think you can do better than Collin
Collin is probably worth small DP money, if you compare him to Gonzalez and Besler. Collin is comparable to those 2. (and better than Liam Ridgewell)
You can also buy down cap hit with allocation money so that Collin doesn't count as DP. Normally you don't to do that unless you're flushed with allocation money, but TFC should have enough lying around that it shouldn't be a big deal. Though pending on next CBA, I wouldn't want to use more than 150k in allocation money to buy down cap hit.

You pay a player for his value within MLS, and you won't find too many CBs available of Collin's quality. (unless you can get a stud CB outside MLS, but that's got its own risks)

I suppose TFC can try for Soumare, Hurtado, but these guys are definitely on the decline despite their experience.

jloome
11-05-2014, 04:20 PM
The Standard one is written by Paul Smith. The Star one is "reporting" on the Standard one. Whenever you see "report" in the headline, take anything in it with a grain of salt.
It's a modern newspaper. You should take everything in it as an unproven statement.

jloome
11-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Collin is probably worth small DP money, if you compare him to Gonzalez and Besler. Collin is comparable to those 2. (and better than Liam Ridgewell)
You can also buy down cap hit with allocation money so that Collin doesn't count as DP. Normally you don't to do that unless you're flushed with allocation money, but TFC should have enough lying around that it shouldn't be a big deal. Though pending on next CBA, I wouldn't want to use more than 150k in allocation money to buy down cap hit.

You pay a player for his value within MLS, and you won't find too many CBs available of Collin's quality. (unless you can get a stud CB outside MLS, but that's got its own risks)

I suppose TFC can try for Soumare, Hurtado, but these guys are definitely on the decline despite their experience.

None of the current DP defenders in this league are worth it; the only guy earning close to his money is Liam Ridgwwell in Portland.

Seriously, Besler and Gonzalez are both tier 2 defenders at best and neither would likely survive a month in a top league. Besler certainly wouldn't. Collin is a tier 2/3 defender who plays in a cohesive backline and would be a step back from Henry. He's loved because he's great in the air, but so was Adrian Cann.

EDIT: Having watched both this season in pretty much every game they played, I find the suggestion that Collin is better than Liam Ridgwwell extraordinary. Gonzalez and Ridgewell are probably the only two defenders in the league who could make it in a top league, and Ridgewell is as consistent as Gonzalez despite weaker playing partners.

OgtheDim
11-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Besler....got DP money and went poof with the rest of SKC.

Beware of a "local guy given a DP reward" jinx.

Red CB Toronto
11-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Besler....got DP money and went poof with the rest of SKC.

Beware of a "local guy given a DP reward" jinx.

Not a jinx at all, Bes and Zusi are some of the best in the league, SKC was hampered by injury and simple fatigue stepped in, look for SKC to return to their top perch in 2015.

Alonso
11-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Can we just buy this team? Seriously, how much would that cost?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/sports/soccer/scottish-club-hamilton-academical-combines-soccer-and-sobriety.html?ref=sports&_r=0

I am so in.

It's a dream of mine.

ensco
11-05-2014, 08:28 PM
I am so in.

It's a dream of mine.

TFC hasn't deserved the support it gets. We should start supporting this team, or one like it.

Canary10
11-06-2014, 09:21 AM
It's a modern newspaper. You should take everything in it as an unproven statement.

Ha, true.

Red I
11-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Kennedy (G) - For those wanting an upgrade on Bendik, Kennedy could be that guy. For me, this only makes sense if we can then move Bendik for something of value.

If the team believes Q is 1 or 2 years away from being a starter, i think you move Bendik and make this move - I think Bendik, good guy as he is and as skilled a shot stopper as he is, is not as vocal as he should be with the back line, and has suspect distribution, although i've seen this improve over time. I think Kennedy would be an upgrade on those 2 points, and if Q is close, you let him develop just under that solid veteran keeper in Kennedy.

Initial B
11-06-2014, 10:58 AM
But do you use the pick on Kennedy (assuming he's available) or on some other position that is in more dire need of an upgrade to play the style that Vanney wants?

kuku
11-06-2014, 11:08 AM
MLS Transfers ‏@MLSTransfers 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/MLSTransfers/status/530389639002333184) Mattocks thinks trade rumors are speculation. It's way more than speculation right now. http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/11/06/vancouver-whitecaps-forward-darren-mattocks-not-concerning-himself-offseason … (http://t.co/iTUKAQwmDS)

I know there was a fee mentioned as part of the Laba deal but I wonder if he may be headed to TFC instead (assuming Jermaine Defoe is leaving in January).

Red I
11-06-2014, 11:14 AM
But do you use the pick on Kennedy (assuming he's available) or on some other position that is in more dire need of an upgrade to play the style that Vanney wants?

Perhaps - but the only thing more dire would be defence (considering where Chivas ended up last season, i doubt there is an upgrade to be had in that position) chance creation/finishing (other than Cubo, not sure anyone available is bonafide starter material) and wing play - there may be some options there possibly, but i think the team lacked MLS veteran leadership, and Defensive organization, and I'm 100% convinced Kennedy would improve that and is probably the best payer available, which is never a bad strategy - unless there is someone that is going to hands down be an improvement in a position of need over what you got, you then should revert to drafting the best available unless you are completely stacked there

FWIW - I think Toronto can win and make the playoffs with Bendik - but i still think Kennedy is an upgrade. I think it's a moot point though, as I'm sure someone else will take him, the expansion teams likely

Yohan
11-06-2014, 11:16 AM
So, Cubo Torres rumoured to be paid 1.5 mil per year if MLS buys him. Transfer fee of 7 mil. Chivas Guad desperate to keep him

Red I
11-06-2014, 11:21 AM
So, Cubo Torres rumoured to be paid 1.5 mil per year if MLS buys him. Transfer fee of 7 mil. Chivas Guad desperate to keep him

I can see MLS ponying up whatever it takes to keep Torres - if anything, it's a power play to signal other players in MX that if they come here and do well, you will get rewarded