PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2014-15 Off-Season player moves/speculation/rumours/etc. thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

portu
12-12-2014, 05:01 PM
and now dike has signed a new deal
moore is so gone in jan

TOBOR !
12-12-2014, 05:09 PM
All I see is a turnstile.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-12-2014, 05:40 PM

Huh?

Pint
12-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Club announces that dike has signed a new contract

notthesun
12-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Wow. Honestly I find that more surprising than picking Findley. Vanney basically froze Dike out at the end of last season, but he's going to stay? Interesting.

barticusz
12-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't get this signing at all. Especially at that price.

I truely hope that Oduro/Jackson can be moved off the roster and we can fill it with actual midfielders who can distribute the ball and create offensive chances.

mitchf
12-12-2014, 05:51 PM
and now dike has signed a new deal
moore is so gone in jan
Nothing wrong with that. For a guy that prided himself in his supposed "link-up play", he couldn't link up for shit.

I do like the Findley pick up though. He's dynamic and that matters as an attacker in the MLS (in my opinion). I could be critical about the cap ramifications, but I won't because if there's anything our management would have done before a move like this, it's to make sure they've done their due-diligence with regards to our current cap position.

With Dike back sure looks like we're in for a flurry of moves in the coming weeks.

mitchf
12-12-2014, 05:53 PM
I don't get this signing at all. Especially at that price.

I truely hope that Oduro/Jackson can be moved off the roster and we can fill it with actual midfielders who can distribute the ball and create offensive chances.
I don't think moving either is directly tied to our ability to bring in a CAM.

Jackson is actually valuable to me as he's versatile and despite all his problems, he does bring some strength to our game.

Oduro is a key ingredient to a losing roster in my opinion. Doesn't have it.

Ivy
12-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Call me crazy, but I'd take dike over Moore any day. I love the heart that Dike shows, and if he's successful in 2015, it'll be a hell of a story. I don't think Moore was ever happy here. Scoring a couple sitters doesn't win my love.

mitchf
12-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Call me crazy, but I'd take dike over Moore any day. I love the heart that Dike shows, and if he's successful in 2015, it'll be a hell of a story. I don't think Moore was ever happy here. Scoring a couple sitters doesn't win my love.
Guy's living in a fantasy world if he thinks he's got a shot at anything substantial in Europe after spells with Chivas, TFC and a team in Turkey that was just relegated.

It would also help if, you know, he could play soccer...

Ivy
12-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Huh??

explain...

Ossington Mental Youth
12-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Wow. Honestly I find that more surprising than picking Findley. Vanney basically froze Dike out at the end of last season, but he's going to stay? Interesting.
Could be that he was still injured and not ready to come back yet

RealG-TFC
12-12-2014, 06:21 PM
I don't think moving either is directly tied to our ability to bring in a CAM.

Jackson is actually valuable to me as he's versatile and despite all his problems, he does bring some strength to our game.

Oduro is a key ingredient to a losing roster in my opinion. Doesn't have it.

Agreed. Oduro's tendency to completely squander a perfectly fine scoring opportunity was shocking.

ensco
12-12-2014, 06:34 PM
I am glad Dike re-signed.

We have never seen what he showed when healthy in Portland. Even if there is only a chance he can be that player here, I am glad to take it.

Ajax TFC
12-12-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm going to assume that the plan is for Findley to be a starter. Assuming Vanney's preferred formation is 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, then he'll probably be the starting left winger. Who's going to keep him on the bench? Jackson? Oduro? The wing is a position that desperately needed upgrading, and that is what this move does.

DeRo Fan #1
12-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Forward overload here.
Jermain Defoe - Injured last half of season
Gilberto - Inconsistent First Half
Luke Moore - Not a real scorer
Bright Dike - Injured whole season
Robbie Findley - Inconsistent Last 4 Years
Jordan Hamilton - Unproven

Lowndes94
12-12-2014, 07:32 PM
I feel like Defoe and Moore are gone in January

Richard
12-12-2014, 07:36 PM
I found Moore to be a primadona, always pouting about something right on queue with Defoe.

pdubs
12-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Findley hard to judge at $245,000 without knowing the cap after the CBA. Under current cap it seems high however clearing off Dero at 137K base/173k guaranteed plus wiedeman 60k base/ 70 guaranteed doesn't make it seem that bad honestly.

Glad Dike is coming back. His size is an asset I hope Vanney utilizes this year. Moore was always meh for me, had good holdup play but overall idk.

Ajax TFC
12-12-2014, 08:00 PM
My theory is that Moore and Defoe will both be sold to England. That'll leave Gilberto as the first choice CF with Dike as the backup, and Findley as the LW or SS (depending on if Vanney goes 4-3-3 or diamond 4-4-2)

portu
12-12-2014, 08:10 PM
My theory is that Moore and Defoe will both be sold to England. That'll leave Gilberto as the first choice CF with Dike as the backup, and Findley as the LW or SS (depending on if Vanney goes 4-3-3 or diamond 4-4-2)
i actually wouldn't be surprised if moore was traded in a deal for a defender

MightyDM
12-12-2014, 08:50 PM
I am amazed at the vitriol some have expressed towards Moore. All he did was join us, link up well with Gilberto, and score goals. Now some want to run him out of town??????. Sheesh.

CBTFC
12-12-2014, 09:17 PM
I am amazed at the vitriol some have expressed towards Moore. All he did was join us, link up well with Gilberto, and score goals. Now some want to run him out of town??????. Sheesh.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. He gets traded (technically twice), which is something he's not used to, and comes in and does a decent job as 3rd striker.

Hieberrr
12-12-2014, 09:21 PM
#tfcfans

Dub Narcotic
12-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Findley, on that money, is one of the worst signings Bezbachenko has made. At $125k he's worth a gamble that he needs two years to come back from a major knee injury. at $250k it is a disaster. RSL fans are killing themselves laughing on reddit mls over this, they thought he wouldn't even be in the league next year.

ag futbol
12-12-2014, 10:20 PM
The best teams in this league have at least a slight amount of depth up front. I don't think paying Findley money is that bad. Strikers are never cheap in any league.

I don't know if Moore has a green card but if not that's another reason his future looks a little uncertain. Thought he was okay, but nothing to write home about. Think the goal scoring is overstated by the number of sitters that fell in his lap. Would compare it to Rob Friend's banner year in Germany where he legit bagged a few but most were the result of good fortune. He doesn't exactly look like he has a poachers instinct either.

I'd call him a useful, but unspectacular MLS'er. TFC are out of their minds if that offer actually came in during the fall window and they balked. Especially I'd he wanted to go. Ring the register on that 10x out of 10

Burning Red
12-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Some interesting things going on here or at least being speculated about. I am not getting excited by any stretch but a 4-2-3-1 could be where we are heading.

I like Gilberto up top with Dike in reserve. Having only one or two strikers on the books after these two would not be enough in my opinion. We need a few more quality options that can score if the top 2 go down to injury for a spell. Having Moore around as well could be useful if we have to go to 2 or 3 up top at any point in the season.

If Guillermo Farre does sign it had better be a prelude to the signing of a high quality DP attacking mid. We have sorely lacked this for years. Farre is more of a defensive mid. I hope the plan is not to treat him as an anchor so we can use Bradley as an attacking mid. It just doesn't work with Bradley as on out and out creative mid. He is much better covering the d and getting forward on occasion. That being said, if we do bring in Farre (or another good quality DM) as well as an attacking mid the midfield could look really attractive. If not, Farre as our only signing in CM could be another disastrous attempt at the so called "pulley system".

-Winger------DP attacking/creative mid----winger
--------------Farre---------Bradley-------

I like the idea of Bradley back there with a real DM closer akin to Laba instead of Collin Miller (whom to me is little more than depth).

If, to that midfield, we could somehow bring in an even higher quality winger or two (better than Jackson and/or Oduro) I would really consider us fixed in MF. Osorio is good quality and really would be useful in a 4-2-3-1 as well.

I will wait to be optimistic this time around.

ManUtd4ever
12-12-2014, 11:43 PM
I am glad Dike re-signed.

We have never seen what he showed when healthy in Portland. Even if there is only a chance he can be that player here, I am glad to take it.

Agreed.

notthesun
12-13-2014, 12:15 AM
TFC are out of their minds if that offer actually came in during the fall window and they balked. Especially I'd he wanted to go. Ring the register on that 10x out of 10

Pretty much exactly the same as the Defoe situation. Desperation move to make the playoffs.

PopePouri
12-13-2014, 12:44 AM
I can see them doing something similar to what NE did with Bunbury. Change him from a striker to winger. What's good about Findley is that he has good feet and can cut in from the left. I wouldn't be surprised if Oduro was now on the trade block.

Soccerpro
12-13-2014, 01:09 AM
We have 500k tied up in Robbie Rosgers and Dominic Oduro. Bez has lost the plot. I don't care if the salary cap is 10 million.

what a stupid move.

portu
12-13-2014, 01:10 AM
We have 500k tied up in Robbie Rosgers and Dominic Oduro. Bez has lost the plot. I don't care if the salary cap is 10 million.

what a stupid move.
lol we signed robbie rogers?

OgtheDim
12-13-2014, 07:54 AM
We have 500k tied up ......

Nothing is tied up until the teams are set in February.

Its only the first week of moves...give it time to settle.

ag futbol
12-13-2014, 09:26 AM
I would bet Oduro is being shopped. The forward positions look relatively full and they ripped the quality of the wing play after the season. I don't think that leaves much to the imagination.

ag futbol
12-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Pretty much exactly the same as the Defoe situation. Desperation move to make the playoffs.
You're probably right, but it's just preposterous they wouldn't have a target prepared to easily replace someone like Moore. A reasonable amount of allocation should yield a much better player.

OgtheDim
12-13-2014, 09:58 AM
I would bet Oduro is being shopped. ...

Teams are always looking to upgrade forwards. No team is happy with them cause somebody is always breaking down, getting stale, moving on. There is a price somebody is willing to pay for Oduro - just not sure its what TFC wants.

ensco
12-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Seeing us pick up one of RSL's "name" players got me wondering, could this somehow be linked to that Lagerwey rumour?

portu
12-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Seeing us pick up one of RSL's "name" players got me wondering, could this somehow be linked to that Lagerwey rumour?

i doubt it lagerway is the guy who declined his option

pdubs
12-13-2014, 12:18 PM

what a stupid move.

You probably mean Findley. And I disagree. Hard to even know what the plot is right now. After the January transfer window is done and dusted we will all have a better gauge on what Bez has done. Certainly what the majority of the team will look like heading into training camp.

Auzzy
12-13-2014, 12:25 PM
lol we signed robbie rogers?

Perhaps a late Friday night drunk post?

TOBOR !
12-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Ossington Mental Youth ; Ivy ; LOL... sorry.. perhaps I was being obtuse.

It's just that over and over again, we sign new players, they stay for a short time, they leave / we fire the coaching staff, they bring in new players, etc. An endless stream of people coming and going.

I can't be bothered getting excited any more.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Fair enough

ManUtd4ever
12-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Ossington Mental Youth ; Ivy ; LOL... sorry.. perhaps I was being obtuse.

It's just that over and over again, we sign new players, they stay for a short time, they leave / we fire the coaching staff, they bring in new players, etc. An endless stream of people coming and going.

True enough, although there should be more continuity moving forward compared to past years. We'll see if that benefits the club next season.

MightyDM
12-15-2014, 09:45 PM
@Ossington Mental Youth (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/member.php?u=346) ; @Ivy (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/member.php?u=41930) ; LOL... sorry.. perhaps I was being obtuse.

tobor's point is related to why I don't think we should be slamming Moore or hoping for his departure. He did a decent job for us. If someone clearly superior is going to replace him, sure. But our history is one of churn, not of strategic recruitment. It took us five years to replace Danny D's goals - with Danny K - for example, although lots of "strikers" passed through in between.

brad
12-15-2014, 11:33 PM
tobor's point is related to why I don't think we should be slamming Moore or hoping for his departure. He did a decent job for us. If someone clearly superior is going to replace him, sure. But our history is one of churn, not of strategic recruitment. It took us five years to replace Danny D's goals - with Danny K - for example, although lots of "strikers" passed through in between.

I couldn't agree Moore (sorry, couldn't resist the bad pun). He's a 3rd choice forward making 120k/year - he scored 6 and assisted 4. That's 2 goals and one assist less than Gilberto in pretty much the same playing time (yes - I know Gilberto has more quality that Moore, but that is beside the point).

shwade
12-16-2014, 08:21 AM
3rd choice forwards shouldn't be prima Donnas on the pitch and have inflated egos.

TOBOR !
12-16-2014, 08:51 AM
True enough, although there should be more continuity moving forward compared to past years. We'll see if that benefits the club next season.

Based on what evidence ? Surely nothing is any different now than when Kevin Payne held court, or when he was deposed by Tim L.. or maybe even when Mariner and Winter entertained us with their brand of comedy.

Actually that's probably what TFC is : a show playing in town at the local theatre. Sometimes the performance is good, others not so much, and every year the cast changes. Some people go to watch it all the time, others only need to see it once, but they all ask the same question..

Why do we come here ?

Auzzy
12-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Based on what evidence ? Surely nothing is any different now than when Kevin Payne held court, or when he was deposed by Tim L.. or maybe even when Mariner and Winter entertained us with their brand of comedy.

Actually that's probably what TFC is : a show playing in town at the local theatre. Sometimes the performance is good, others not so much, and every year the cast changes. Some people go to watch it all the time, others only need to see it once, but they all ask the same question..

Why do we come here ?

And the answer is simple: to see TOBOR's sexy avatar pic!

jloome
12-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Why do we come here ?

So far, the cast seems to be changing less this year than at any time in the past.

flamehawk
12-16-2014, 12:37 PM
http://t.co/9UvS4H5Iav

I might be open to having Hoilett + $4m in exchange for Defoe.

Canary10
12-16-2014, 12:44 PM

I really don't think there is much of a market for Defoe in the Premiership. Leicester was rumoured a little while ago, but they are as good as relegated already. They'll be largely out of the race by the end of Christmas. Makes no sense for them to risk this contract when they are likely going down. QPR has more of a chance, but they'll be on the cusp all season. It's practically suicide for teams in these positions to take on Defoe's money. I don't know...I think it'll be tough for TFC to find a buyer for Defoe in January.

TFC/Everton
12-16-2014, 12:45 PM

As long as he isn't a DP.

ryan
12-16-2014, 12:47 PM
As long as he isn't a DP.

He's not coming to MLS to play for 350K CAD per year when he's being paid 2600K GBP right now.

PopePouri
12-16-2014, 12:55 PM
I really don't think there is much of a market for Defoe in the Premiership. Leicester was rumoured a little while ago, but they are as good as relegated already. They'll be largely out of the race by the end of Christmas. Makes no sense for them to risk this contract when they are likely going down. QPR has more of a chance, but they'll be on the cusp all season. It's practically suicide for teams in these positions to take on Defoe's money. I don't know...I think it'll be tough for TFC to find a buyer for Defoe in January.

I doubt it. All struggling clubs will look for proven Premiere League players in January and will pay to get them. They'll deal with the contract after the fact.

Defoe
12-16-2014, 12:57 PM
He's not coming to MLS to play for 350K CAD per year when he's being paid 2600K GBP right now.

I would GLADLY, sell Defoe for Hoilett. You could get Farre, Hoilett and another strong piece for Defoe's return. Hoilett is EXACTLY, what we need. a speedy goal scoring winger. More durable then Defoe, younger... Good asset. He would be a top player in MLS... I doubt he comes over though, this isn't a Brek Shea calibre player we're talking about

---- ????? - Gilberto
Hoilett - Bradley - Winger
------- Farre

idk

ag futbol
12-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Not the worst idea I've heard. He fills a need too.

Canary10
12-16-2014, 01:00 PM
I doubt it. All struggling clubs will look for proven Premiere League players in January and will pay to get them. They'll deal with the contract after the fact.

The Leicester rumour is ridiculous. They know they're going down. QPR has Charlie Austin. Maybe Crystal Palace or someone like that may be stupid enough. Defoe is on 90,000 pounds/week? Isn't that 3 times Rahim Sterling's contract?

FRANKIE65
12-16-2014, 01:04 PM

I have no problem with him coming back, IF, we get the Defoe that started last season, WITH, commitment to the squad. The guy could easily score 20 + with the right attitude, and, a little bit of service.

portu
12-16-2014, 01:10 PM
I've got to say I don't know what's going on with our club. I mean other clubs are signing or re-signing quality players, trading for solid centre backs, etcetera and if they aren't signing players you at least hear rumours of them signing players. I'm beginning to think that Bez is standing pat thinking we have a solid enough line-up and just need to add a couple starters when in reality everyone else is getting even better.

We need a CDM, RB, CAM, at least 1 winger and a solid MLS centre back just for the starting line-up to look competitive next year so far we've heard only rumours of one those spots (CDM) being actively sought after and they aren't exactly players (Essien, Farre) that make you put confidence in our scouting network.

Areathrasher
12-16-2014, 01:22 PM
I've got to say I don't know what's going on with our club. I mean other clubs are signing or re-signing quality players, trading for solid centre backs, etcetera and if they aren't signing players you at least hear rumours of them signing players. I'm beginning to think that Bez is standing pat thinking we have a solid enough line-up and just need to add a couple starters when in reality everyone else is getting even better.

We need a CDM, RB, CAM, at least 1 winger and a solid MLS centre back just for the starting line-up to look competitive next year so far we've heard only rumours of one those spots (CDM) being actively sought after and they aren't exactly players (Essien, Farre) that make you put confidence in our scouting network.

It's December and we have added Findley and Delgado so far.

Anything big probably hinges on Defoe leaving and or the CBA.

Defoe
12-16-2014, 01:28 PM

I hope Defoe leaves. It's just better for the franchise IMO.

portu
12-16-2014, 01:41 PM

Ya, but have you heard any rumour of a player that could join us after that sale? No. It's just a tad worrying.

Yohan
12-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Ya, but have you heard any rumour of a player that could join us after that sale? No. It's just a tad worrying.
you're just impatient and not knowing is killing you lol

Areathrasher
12-16-2014, 02:08 PM

Well we heard about Fernandez at Fiorentina.

And for some perspective.

We didn't hear any rumors about Gilberto until he turned up at a Raptors game with Drake. Next couple of days he was signed.

Bradley came out of nowhere. Twelleman tweeted we were in for him and a few days later in was in Real Sports with Defoe.

Just because we haven't heard anything right now doesn't mean in a week/two weeks/Month we won't have a new AM or CB.

Red Skies At Night
12-16-2014, 02:11 PM

I doubt that will be the norm moving forward (as it has been in the past). The new Financial Fair Play rules have a lot of teams running scared from big contracts, at least those teams not perennially fighting for euro spots. Can't see any near the bottom of the table take the risk of putting that chunk of change on their wage bill... although since it will only be half the season, perhaps that will make the difference. But the days of struggling teams throwing big money at risky players is over I think.

ManUtd4ever
12-16-2014, 02:50 PM
If there is negligible interest in Defoe amongst EPL clubs, it's entirely plausible that he will be back next season. I doubt he would be interested in a move elsewhere in Europe.

brad
12-16-2014, 02:55 PM
The Leicester rumour is ridiculous. They know they're going down. QPR has Charlie Austin. Maybe Crystal Palace or someone like that may be stupid enough. Defoe is on $90,000/week? Isn't that 3 times Rahim Sterling's contract?

He's not going back to England without a sizable pay cut, and he would most likely have to settle for a 2 year contract as well.

That said, I wonder if Liverpool might be interested. They are desperately in need of quality up front. Maybe we could swap for Balotelli :hump:

portu
12-16-2014, 02:57 PM
you're just impatient and not knowing is killing you lol
lol you have noooo idea just cant wait for the transfer window to open tbh

portu
12-16-2014, 02:58 PM
He's not going back to England without a sizable pay cut, and he would most likely have to settle for a 2 year contract as well.

That said, I wonder if Liverpool might be interested. They are desperately in need of quality up front. Maybe we could swap for Balotelli :hump:
apparently psg are going to offer 8m pounds in jan for balo
mlse should get on it ahaaha

Pookie
12-16-2014, 04:20 PM
If there is negligible interest in Defoe amongst EPL clubs, it's entirely plausible that he will be back next season. I doubt he would be interested in a move elsewhere in Europe.

This is the risk…especially with the surgery after the fall transfer window.

ManUtd4ever
12-16-2014, 04:30 PM
This is the risk…especially with the surgery after the fall transfer window.

It would be a risk, but if he can return to the club with a renewed sense of commitment after a full off season to recuperate, who knows?

Pookie
12-16-2014, 04:33 PM
^ I think he would perform fine. Risk for me is always his injury history. If he returned, I'd take the "Under" on him being able to play 20 games next year.

The Gilberto-Defoe stuff would be a secondary concern but they would either work it out or probably trade Gilberto if they were stuck with Defoe's contract. There is a solution for that. Unfortunately not one for sitting in the press box.

jloome
12-16-2014, 05:13 PM
The Leicester rumour is ridiculous. They know they're going down. QPR has Charlie Austin. Maybe Crystal Palace or someone like that may be stupid enough. Defoe is on $90,000/week? Isn't that 3 times Rahim Sterling's contract?

Not unless the pound and dollar have reached par without my noticing.

Pookie
12-16-2014, 05:48 PM

Let me know what you find out. Going over in February so may need to stop at the bank and convert now.

BuSaPuNk
12-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Let me know what you find out. Going over in February so may need to stop at the bank and convert now.

Should have went last week. It's gone up over 5 cents on the dollar since last week and it's not looking any better going forward.

jazzy
12-16-2014, 08:25 PM

my greatest fear........a team breaker

Yohan
12-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Findley is junk. He had one good season in his MLS career. The fact that he played in a World Cup boggles my mind.

Canary10
12-17-2014, 09:35 AM

Come on jloome, I'm not stupid. My understanding is that's his contract in pounds. If not someone can correct me.

At any rate, he earns substantially more than Rahim Sterling. That puts a little context on his price, does it not?

Derko
12-17-2014, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=brad;1708243]He's not going back to England without a sizable pay cut, and he would most likely have to settle for a 2 year contract as well.

That said, I wonder if Liverpool might be interested. They are desperately in need of quality up front. Maybe we could swap for Balotelli :hump:[/QUOTE

No thanks

TFC/Everton
12-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Couple of thoughts on our off-season strategy.

TFC has been pretty silent for the most part, only really signing Robbie Findley and a few minor re signings. It is possible that we are saving our cap space/allocation cash to make some major moves in January. If we sell Defoe and Moore, and the league expands the DP slots, as Twellman has said, then TFC can make a couple of major DP signings plus another $400-$500K signing.

As we have all heard, TFC is looking at some big names. Perhaps this is just the calm before the storm.

I hope there is a method to the madness.

Canary10
12-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Findley is junk. He had one good season in his MLS career. The fact that he played in a World Cup boggles my mind.

I agree. He hasn't really had a good season in like half a decade.

ag futbol
12-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Everyone who's played in that line forward spot for RSL has done well. It's the service more-so than the player it seems.

Red I
12-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Gawd, i hope he's not the #10 TFC is saying they'll get this year... I can't believe he wears that number

Ruffian
12-17-2014, 10:26 AM
I think two things are holding us back from making any player moves outside of the usual MLS processes. One is that the Defoe situation can not be resolved until Europe's transfer window opens. The other is the fact that the new collective bargaining agreement probably will be significantly different than the past one making it very hard to know how they need to structure the roster.

Canary10
12-17-2014, 10:30 AM
I think two things are holding us back from making any player moves outside of the usual MLS processes. One is that the Defoe situation can not be resolved until Europe's transfer window opens. The other is the fact that the new collective bargaining agreement probably will be significantly different than the past one making it very hard to know how they need to structure the roster.

How would they even proceed with the collective bargaining process where it's at? I guess they would have some rough idea where it's going, but there is a lot hanging on it. The rules of the game could be fundamentally different. Or not.

PopePouri
12-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Gawd, i hope he's not the #10 TFC is saying they'll get this year... I can't believe he wears that number

Small forwards based on English football numbering traditions wear no. 10. Outside of tradition and based on today's standards, it's referenced as a creative attacking midfielder.

Watch this:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/03/12/soccer-jargon-101-evolution-formations-between-lines

brad
12-17-2014, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=brad;1708243]He's not going back to England without a sizable pay cut, and he would most likely have to settle for a 2 year contract as well.

That said, I wonder if Liverpool might be interested. They are desperately in need of quality up front. Maybe we could swap for Balotelli :hump:[/QUOTE

No thanks

Totally joking about Balo. He'd be a disaster. An entertaining one though. Seems totally like the sort of bone-headed our organization would make though

Red I
12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Small forwards based on English football numbering traditions wear no. 10. Outside of tradition and based on today's standards, it's referenced as a creative attacking midfielder.

Watch this:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/03/12/soccer-jargon-101-evolution-formations-between-lines

Yes, i get that, just not the type of #10 i hope we target - even as a drop-forward, "Rooney-type" this guy is not exactly convincing

pdubs
12-17-2014, 12:00 PM
If we don't get a legit DP CAM then idk... You would think we want the heart of our attack to be the best CAM our money can buy to run the offense. We have Bradley as box-to-box, more defense minded with the long ball vision and work-rate. I certainly hope (and still believe) Bez and Vanney are targeting a true #10.

brad
12-17-2014, 12:58 PM
If we don't get a legit DP CAM then idk... You would think we want the heart of our attack to be the best CAM our money can buy to run the offense. We have Bradley as box-to-box, more defense minded with the long ball vision and work-rate. I certainly hope (and still believe) Bez and Vanney are targeting a true #10.

We could easily play without a top quality #10, or at #10 at all - but to do that we need a big upgrade in wide players, and we still need a better partner for Bradley in central mid.

PopePouri
12-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Yes, i get that, just not the type of #10 i hope we target - even as a drop-forward, "Rooney-type" this guy is not exactly convincing

Findley isn't a no. 10 (regardless of the number on the back) or a drop forward. Findley will either be a winger in 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or possibly up front in a 2 if we play a diamond.

It's easy to assume we will be targeting a creative midfielder as well (most likely DP).

jloome
12-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Findley isn't a no. 10 (regardless of the number on the back) or a drop forward. Findley will either be a winger in 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or possibly up front in a 2 if we play a diamond.

It's easy to assume we will be targeting a creative midfielder as well (most likely DP).

I'm starting to think this is wishful thinking on all our parts.

If Defoe stays, how will we play anything but 4-4-2? We either play with two strikers or we sit Gilberto/Moore/Dike/Hamilton, as none are suited to play wide except maybe Gilberto. We resigned Dike, which suggests we either use a post man or a pair up top; can't be the former or we're relying on Defoe sometimes to win balls in the box.

Our personnel situation right now is somewhat confusing.

Even if Defoe goes, the fact that two of our strikers are big men suggests we either play a two up top to accommodate Gilberto, or we push him wide.

It might be, I guess, that he plans to play two different versions of 433 derivatives, one with inverted wingers and Defoe inside and the other with true wingers and a tall guy knocking stuff down or winning headers.

pdubs
12-17-2014, 01:52 PM
We could easily play without a top quality #10, or at #10 at all - but to do that we need a big upgrade in wide players, and we still need a better partner for Bradley in central mid.

agreed. different ways to set it up. Need midfield up grades regardless with DP spots. Defoe should leave and with the potential addition of another DP spot put them in midfield whether CAM/DM, or wide players. I think a Gilberto, Findley, Dike, Oduro, Moore(if he stays?) gives us enough up front. I think our major weakness is the midfield. Like to see this be our focus.

ag futbol
12-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Hell will freeze over before Defoe stays with TFC past this window. He's going to be unloaded one way or another.

They'll use Findley (at least on occasion) the same way they will use Gilberto: to swoop in behind a high backline to get in on goal. Dike will be used to give the team a different look.

We'll be playing through the mid I would think an AM (still) has to be top of the list. This team is incomplete without one. Bradley needs someone more attack focused to play off of.

Red CB Toronto
12-17-2014, 02:35 PM
I am thinking Miguel Ibarra would be worth a look.

Areathrasher
12-17-2014, 02:55 PM
I am thinking Miguel Ibarra would be worth a look.

He's got a year or two left on his contract with Minny. They'd want a decent transfer fee which could end up making him a DP.

PopePouri
12-17-2014, 03:07 PM
agreed. different ways to set it up. Need midfield up grades regardless with DP spots. Defoe should leave and with the potential addition of another DP spot put them in midfield whether CAM/DM, or wide players. I think a Gilberto, Findley, Dike, Oduro, Moore(if he stays?) gives us enough up front. I think our major weakness is the midfield. Like to see this be our focus.

We need more "creators" in general especially if a team built to break down teams instead of utilizing the transition. On all playoff teams, you can one or two very good ones. Some DP, some not.

Red I
12-17-2014, 04:24 PM
We need more "creators" in general especially if a team built to break down teams instead of utilizing the transition. On all playoff teams, you can one or two very good ones. Some DP, some not.

Agreed 100%

... I don't know if the lack of transfer rumours surrounding this team right now is a welcome change from the usual silly season, or a foreshadowing of the transfer window activity...

Should I be worried??

Ossington Mental Youth
12-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Agreed 100%

... I don't know if the lack of transfer rumours surrounding this team right now is a welcome change from the usual silly season, or a foreshadowing of the transfer window activity...

Should I be worried??

No, its december

portu
12-17-2014, 05:44 PM
He's got a year or two left on his contract with Minny. They'd want a decent transfer fee which could end up making him a DP.
if there's one thing i want out of this cba its for transfer fees to not count towards the cap. just let the teams pay the fee, it just prevents competition from rising. if a player is on 200k a year but requires a 400k transfer fee it makes no sense for that to count towards their cap hit :mad:

flamehawk
12-17-2014, 05:47 PM
if there's one thing i want out of this cba its for transfer fees to not count towards the cap. just let the teams pay the fee, it just prevents competition from rising. if a player is on 200k a year but requires a 400k transfer fee it makes no sense for that to count towards their cap hit :mad:

Not saying I agree, but the argument would be that it undermines parity. Teams with richer owners have access to more players, clubs with less money have to rely on out of contract players.

jazzy
12-17-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm starting to think this is wishful thinking on all our parts.

If Defoe stays, how will we play anything but 4-4-2? We either play with two strikers or we sit Gilberto/Moore/Dike/Hamilton, as none are suited to play wide except maybe Gilberto. We resigned Dike, which suggests we either use a post man or a pair up top; can't be the former or we're relying on Defoe sometimes to win balls in the box.

Our personnel situation right now is somewhat confusing.

Even if Defoe goes, the fact that two of our strikers are big men suggests we either play a two up top to accommodate Gilberto, or we push him wide.

It might be, I guess, that he plans to play two different versions of 433 derivatives, one with inverted wingers and Defoe inside and the other with true wingers and a tall guy knocking stuff down or winning headers.

this is uncomfortably true..............and I still think TFC is capable of standing pat with a dead duck Defoe.....and throwing away another season still making us believe 'slow' progress is winning progress . hopefully it may be and Bez will work some magic, but I relate to the raptors , youth, energy and desire with no primadonnas . And great coach and GM !

jazzy
12-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Hell will freeze over before Defoe stays with TFC past this window. He's going to be unloaded one way or another.

They'll use Findley (at least on occasion) the same way they will use Gilberto: to swoop in behind a high backline to get in on goal. Dike will be used to give the team a different look.

We'll be playing through the mid I would think an AM (still) has to be top of the list. This team is incomplete without one. Bradley needs someone more attack focused to play off of......one can only hope

OgtheDim
12-17-2014, 07:13 PM
At this point last year, they had already done a promotional video and jersey photo shoot with Defoe in London.

i.e. Deals are done before January but we will never see that before the Euro window opens.

Expect the F5 key to get a lot of work before Jan 10.

MightyDM
12-17-2014, 11:03 PM
Defoe was superb before he was hurt and would be terrific to retain, if he can get back to that place. Bradley is amazing from an effort and leadership perspective, but post World Cup there was something deeply wrong. Whether it was his foot, unclear strategy, trying too hard, the lack of a "number 10" , or something else, the team must resolve those issues as a first priority.

barticusz
12-18-2014, 12:51 AM
Is it possible that Aparicio gets an opportunity to be our cam?

Marc"2L"
12-18-2014, 01:09 AM

Think he's still a few lbs away.

JuliquE
12-18-2014, 01:15 AM
*jaw hits the floor*

Hamilton_Red
12-18-2014, 01:29 AM
If we can keep all three DP's - then we will be in better shape overall - it would be a first to keep the core of the team for two seasons. Off-season rest and recuperation for Bradley and Defoe will do a world of good. Gilberto settling in will also be a bonus.

Creative playmaker...wingers....and centre-back(s)....that's what we need.

GuelphStorm2007
12-18-2014, 03:15 AM
If we can keep all three DP's - then we will be in better shape overall - it would be a first to keep the core of the team for two seasons. Off-season rest and recuperation for Bradley and Defoe will do a world of good. Gilberto settling in will also be a bonus.

I totally agree with you Hamilton Red I honestly think our most pressing need is at Centre Back. then a creative playmaker.

GuelphStorm2007
12-18-2014, 03:18 AM
Defoe was superb before he was hurt and would be terrific to retain, if he can get back to that place. Bradley is amazing from an effort and leadership perspective, but post World Cup there was something deeply wrong. Whether it was his foot, unclear strategy, trying too hard, the lack of a "number 10" , or something else, the team must resolve those issues as a first priority.
As far as Bradley goes I think Fatigue set in he played a hell of a lot games Between Roma , TFC , and USMT. But I do agree with everything you said.

adam1001
12-18-2014, 10:18 AM

I don't think we've had a CAM since Guevera. This has been a need for years.

Red I
12-18-2014, 10:37 AM
I don't think we've had a CAM since Guevera. This has been a need for years.

We also have lacked a good dead-ball specialist since Guevara... It's been another problem that has never been addressed really since his absence

barticusz
12-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Think he's still a few lbs away.

:facepalm: I think you're in the wrong forum here. We're not talking hockey.

On a side note we had also signed the young Jamaican kid who I believe was a CAM too.

Areathrasher
12-18-2014, 11:32 AM

On a side note we had also signed the young Jamaican kid who I believe was a CAM too.

He'll be straight into the USL Pro side

Marc"2L"
12-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Facepalm... Indeed.
this is why I don't post about player stuff, people are too literal and playing manager.

portu
12-18-2014, 03:25 PM
they better comeup with something good this offseason because right now its lookin pretty bleak

flamehawk
12-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Matt Rosati ‏@CoachRosati (https://twitter.com/CoachRosati) 13m13 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/CoachRosati/status/545677661071474689)
9 months without an Academy Director is hardly a refection of a club that wants to be a leader in Player Development. #TFCA (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCA?src=hash) #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash)

The guy has a point.

gdg_9
12-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/545681216318738433) Toronto FC has traded Jeremy Hall to the @NERevolution (https://twitter.com/NERevolution) for a draft pick: http://bit.ly/1GW1FJr (http://t.co/hPyL0f1dCI) pic.twitter.com/p9A8jqUR64 (http://t.co/p9A8jqUR64)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5KkyuICUAA5Ncu.jpg
(https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/545681216318738433/photo/1)

12:45 PM - 18 Dec 2014 · Details (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/545681216318738433)

Expand (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/545681216318738433)

flamehawk
12-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Toronto FC‏@torontofc 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/545681216318738433) Toronto FC has traded Jeremy Hall to the @NERevolution (https://twitter.com/NERevolution) for a draft pick: http://bit.ly/1GW1FJr (http://t.co/hPyL0f1dCI) pic.twitter.com/p9A8jqUR64 (http://t.co/p9A8jqUR64)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5KkyuICUAA5Ncu.jpg
(https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/545681216318738433/photo/1)

12:45 PM - 18 Dec 2014 · Details (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/545681216318738433)

Expand (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/545681216318738433)

Huh? Ok I guess, if we never intended to keep Hall, but wonder what the point of a 4th round draft pick. I guess nothing wrong with another raffle ticket.

gdg_9
12-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Huh? Ok I guess, if we never intended to keep Hall, but wonder what the point of a 4th round draft pick. I guess nothing wrong with another raffle ticket.

Ya, the 4th rounder likely won't amount to anything... but at least it's something for a player we weren't going to keep anyway

Cas87
12-18-2014, 03:54 PM

I guess with all the MLS-affiliated/owned/operated USL pro franchises, the fourth round at the very least fills out that roster (if necessary)

PopePouri
12-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Most likely Bez gave him the option of going through the re-entry draft or NE (or possibly other suitors). The fourth rounder is basically to move the player.

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2014, 04:26 PM
I like that the team saved that Findley propaganda piece to toss out right after the draft.

Areathrasher
12-18-2014, 04:37 PM
I like that the team saved that Findley propaganda piece to toss out right after the draft.

It's a six day old article

portu
12-18-2014, 04:45 PM
am i the only one that questions why they didnt at least put their 'vision' presentation on the website

it just perpetuates the lack of transparency at the club imo

Auzzy
12-18-2014, 04:47 PM
am i the only one that questions why they didnt at least put their 'vision' presentation on the website

I think many people would become physically ill if TFC posted a "vision" presentation on their website. Especially the day of a draft & the trade window re-opening. Anyway, today was for the journos, they may still post something later.

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2014, 04:50 PM
I think many people would become physically ill if TFC posted a "vision" presentation on their website. Especially the day of a draft & the trade window re-opening. Anyway, today was for the journos, they may still post something later.
I think they plan on just letting the media put the vision out there but all I seem to be seeing is Defoe stuff.

reggie
12-18-2014, 05:01 PM

this club continues to show disrespect to the fans with the LABA and HENRY lies and lack of transparency on the VISION...
and whats the deal with the press that covers this team..defoe,defoe and more defoe...we all know he is gone jan..how about a question about the draft are they working on any signings etc...

portu
12-18-2014, 05:45 PM
I think they plan on just letting the media put the vision out there but all I seem to be seeing is Defoe stuff.

and thats probably all we'll see too... it was a 90 minute presentation and there were like 3 main takeaways according to twitter
1. Defoe is staying (which is bullshit and old news)
2. first 7-8 games are going to be away
3. Gilberto is staying

Areathrasher
12-18-2014, 05:59 PM
and thats probably all we'll see too... it was a 90 minute presentation and there were like 3 main takeaways according to twitter
1. Defoe is staying (which is bullshit and old news)
2. first 7-8 games are going to be away
3. Gilberto is staying

these two have some info
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/12/vanney-lays-out-vision-2015-and-beyond
http://www.tsn.ca/future-plans-for-tfc-hinge-on-short-term-success-1.163159

Defoe
12-18-2014, 07:18 PM
these two have some info
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/12/vanney-lays-out-vision-2015-and-beyond
wait wtf Defoe is staying?

That's kind of annoying. I was a big fan (see username) but he completely gave up on Toronto. Those dollars could be allocated to some younger talent.

ag futbol
12-18-2014, 07:53 PM
I think it's optics and little else. TFC should consider themselves lucky they get kid-glove coverage from the press compared to every other team in tis town. If this were leafs / raps / jays the media would be serving Tim B. for dinner. He's be eaten alive by criticism over this one.

brad
12-18-2014, 08:12 PM
wait wtf Defoe is staying?

That's kind of annoying. I was a big fan (see username) but he completely gave up on Toronto. Those dollars could be allocated to some younger talent.

This means nothing. They will say exactly this until he is sold and the deal is announced. Standard practice for any team.

Heepster
12-18-2014, 09:50 PM
... first 7-8 games are going to be away ... So no chance of even a single home game in the dome in March or April? Not that it will be much of an improvement, but a new and supposedly slightly better artificial turf is to be installed by early March (http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/jays-hope-new-turf-will-be-softer-for-players).
“ ... will be softer ... the ball won’t roll as fast, it will be much slower.”

Red CB Toronto
12-18-2014, 10:17 PM
With BMO not being available for the first 7-8 games of the season, with the international break at the end of March it would been perfect time for them to partner with the CSA and splashed a double header with a Canada game.

ag futbol
12-19-2014, 12:09 AM

It's right here man, just look for yourself: http://www.novasio.com/bs_generator.htm

Hamilton_Red
12-19-2014, 02:11 AM
They should play a few home games in Hamilton at the Pan Am games soccer stadium.

Fort York Redcoat
12-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Congrats to Hall. He goes from Wilmington to NE where we know he'll get a good call from Paul Mariner...

Even if the 4th rounder goes straight to Wilmington or Vaughan where the USL team plays it's a player on his way up. Hall wasn't working out here.

Also:

I think it's natural for the media to ask about the most expensive player on the team that the supporters aren't assured will stay. Casual sports fans will respond to that more than a draft very few outside our world will keep up with.

Phil
12-19-2014, 08:20 AM

Haha, then we would have 5 pages of comments on here and from twitter about how Tim B doesn't command the mic as well as he should and why his glasses are leaning to one side.

*sometimes* when its not televised, it allows there to be a more open and inside look at issues vs. the polished piece that cameras like to carry.

Phil
12-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Matt Rosati ‏@CoachRosati (https://twitter.com/CoachRosati) 13m13 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/CoachRosati/status/545677661071474689)
9 months without an Academy Director is hardly a refection of a club that wants to be a leader in Player Development. #TFCA (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCA?src=hash) #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash)

The guy has a point.

He does. But our Academy Director took over the main club which shows some continuity. As well, the switch happened at the end of the Academy season, and its not like it was left vacant, they had others help direct the academy team. Its collaboration, vs the nuse man approach that we are used to seeing here.

That being said, I think Bob DeKlerk would make an excellent Academy Director :D

flamehawk
12-19-2014, 08:57 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/kelly-tfc-reveals-its-heretofore-secret-formula-for-a-goon-show/article22153313/comments/

A critical article on the vision meeting, one that I find kind of unfair, but shows maybe why all the media articles are about Defoe.

MightyDM
12-19-2014, 09:25 AM
You are right that Kelly has a tart tongue in that article, but it echoes a worry I have about Vanney, and Bez, his sponsor - that they sound good, but can't produce. That was certainly the result last fall. I hope it won't be this spring but the first eight games on the road for a coach who doesn't focus on defence is worrying, to say the least. Personally, I am with Kelly - I think a lot of this stuff is BS.

Phil
12-19-2014, 09:26 AM
^^^ I cringed reading that, but its based out of a vaild perspective.

After reading it though, I fell like moving very far away from this club. Its bound to turn some heads at TFC which is the piont I guess.

Red4ever
12-19-2014, 09:28 AM
The man crush I have on Cathal Kelly is affecting my ability to do my job.

That is maybe my favorite thing that I have read in 2014. It's just so god damn accurate.

Canary10
12-19-2014, 09:36 AM
I remember when the big power outage hit us at work ten years ago or whenever that was. People were running around trying to figure out how to keep our industrial freezers going so we didn't lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in frozen food, making sure security lights were working so you could actually see in the warehouse, communicating to all staff the emergency plan, etc, etc. Then I see, of all people, the health and safety committee chair walking around dusting fire extinguishers with a feather duster, seemingly completely oblivious to the crisis around him.

Yesterday Bez and Vanney looked like the fire extinguisher feather duster guys.

Detroit_TFC
12-19-2014, 10:37 AM
The article exposed some cringey stuff for sure but after a while I asked myself, how the fuck does Cathal Kelly make himself into being the voice of reason on TFC.

barticusz
12-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Cathal is a good writer no doubt. I like his style in that he turns his articles into more of a story. However, I disagree with his point of view.

I for one like the fact that a blueprint is being created in order to try and develop talent locally through the academy. A solid system is required for this to happen. Ajax doesn't just develop players by chance, they have a plan for their 12 year old kids and they execute it. He may think that having a plan to develop 12-year-olds is ridiculous, but I guess that means the rest of the Football world is dumb too?

I mean the whole thing was called a The Vision meeting.. what else were they going to talk about rather than how they are going to focus on future development? The meeting wasn't described as state of the First Team.

And further to that, the media is constantly asking about the inner dealings of the players/transfers and they somehow expect the team to reveal that? ?? Then they get all hissy over the fact that the team gives them general answers.. I mean give me a break, if you want a surefire why to ruin any start of deal you have you let the media in on it.

I wonder if there will ever be a day when the media starts asking intelligent questions. I want more questions along the lines of "will this vision remain in place when you're fired". Tough, but deals with the topic at hand and sees what level this Vision is at.

Red4ever
12-19-2014, 10:41 AM
The article exposed some cringey stuff for sure but after a while I asked myself, how the fuck does Cathal Kelly make himself into being the voice of reason on TFC.

I think is far enough removed from fandom to look at it objectively. That's not a slight, I'm not willing to give up my fandom completely in order to have a bitter yet objective eye on things.

barticusz
12-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Facepalm... Indeed.
this is why I don't post about player stuff, people are too literal and playing manager.

I apologize for not seeing the sarcasm within text. Emoticon's next time? "Playing manager".... Not sure what you expected, this is the case in all sports forums, no?

Canary10
12-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Cathal is a good writer no doubt. I like his style in that he turns his articles into more of a story. However, I disagree with his point of view.

I for one like the fact that a blueprint is being created in order to try and develop talent locally through the academy. A solid system is required for this to happen. Ajax doesn't just develop players by chance, they have a plan for their 12 year old kids and they execute it. He may think that having a plan to develop 12-year-olds is ridiculous, but I guess that means the rest of the Football world is dumb too?

I mean the whole thing was called a The Vision meeting.. what else were they going to talk about rather than how they are going to focus on future development? The meeting wasn't described as state of the First Team.

And further to that, the media is constantly asking about the inner dealings of the players/transfers and they somehow expect the team to reveal that? ?? Then they get all hissy over the fact that the team gives them general answers.. I mean give me a break, if you want a surefire why to ruin any start of deal you have you let the media in on it.

I wonder if there will ever be a day when the media starts asking intelligent questions. I want more questions along the lines of "will this vision remain in place when you're fired". Tough, but deals with the topic at hand and sees what level this Vision is at.

It was the wrong meeting at the wrong time.

I also laugh at some of the stuff they were bragging about in terms of the technology. A lot of that is available to anyone with a smart phone.

Areathrasher
12-19-2014, 10:52 AM

Agree with a lot of this.

Also it's the same ol' same ol from Kelly. At the end of the 2013 season, after the 4-1 win over DC IIRC, he wrote an article eviscerating the club. Come January he was blowing off Leiweke and co for being geniuses(brown nosing Leiweke at the BMO reno event before the home opener too in stark contrast to Neil Davidson who went there kept himself to himself and did his job). He hasn't written a thing on TFC since he left the Star and suddenly turns up with his thesaurus open ready to take aim at the club again?

He'll be back on his knees in January once Defoe is sold and the next big name player rolls into town...

Red4ever
12-19-2014, 10:55 AM
It was the wrong meeting at the wrong time.

I also laugh at some of the stuff they were bragging about in terms of the technology. A lot of that is available to anyone with a smart phone.

Not to metion, it sounded a hell of a lot like they were trying to sell a time share.

The fact of the matter is it's often about credibility, and for all his faults Tim L was credible. He was straight forward and he talked about winning immediately. He didn't talk about measuring grit with metrics.

It just sounds like complete and utter bullshit, as Canary rightfully said, at the wrong time.

Whoever greenlit this presser should take heat.

Gringo Starr
12-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Must have been a real long meeting for Kelly since he has TFC as a goon show instead of a gong show. I wouldn't want to witness someone moon on about things either, bad enough when they moan...

Villa TFC
12-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Call me old-fashioned, but given the choice between my football club having a 'director of cognitive development' and a 'kit man', I'd go for the latter.

barticusz
12-19-2014, 11:41 AM

Also it's the same ol' same ol from Kelly. At the end of the 2013 season, after the 4-1 win over DC IIRC, he wrote an article eviscerating the club. Come January he was blowing off Leiweke and co for being geniuses(brown nosing Leiweke at the BMO reno event before the home opener too in stark contrast to Neil Davidson who went there kept himself to himself and did his job). He hasn't written a thing on TFC since he left the Star and suddenly turns up with his thesaurus open ready to take aim at the club again?

He'll be back on his knees in January once Defoe is sold and the next big name player rolls into town...

Well said. He's the Steve Simmons of the soccer world.

@Canary.. sure you can get some of the stuff on your smart phone but the whole point of the meeting in my impression was to show the vision moving forward for the Academy system. What else were they going to talk about? Don't write a scathing article because you're bored out of your mind with your own job. I don't care about the authors personal feelings towards the content at hand. You can write an article and criticise or priase, but leave personal feelings at home. Use your brain to questions things from a broad perspective rather than from your own tiny egocentric bubble.

Canary10
12-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Well said. He's the Steve Simmons of the soccer world.

@Canary.. sure you can get some of the stuff on your smart phone but the whole point of the meeting in my impression was to show the vision moving forward for the Academy system. What else were they going to talk about? Don't write a scathing article because you're bored out of your mind with your own job. I don't care about the authors personal feelings towards the content at hand. You can write an article and criticise or priase, but leave personal feelings at home. Use your brain to questions things from a broad perspective rather than from your own tiny egocentric bubble.

I agree with what Areathrasher said too, but I think this article is totally fair criticism. And entertainingly written at that.

ag futbol
12-19-2014, 12:18 PM
He does. But our Academy Director took over the main club which shows some continuity. As well, the switch happened at the end of the Academy season, and its not like it was left vacant, they had others help direct the academy team. Its collaboration, vs the nuse man approach that we are used to seeing here.

That being said, I think Bob DeKlerk would make an excellent Academy Director :D
From where I sit: no president or larger person responsible for overall vision separated from operations means this club will continue to circle in the drain every time we have a coaching change.

No stability is apparent through the current structure and you need that to have a good academy.

molenshtain
12-19-2014, 12:20 PM

Kelly wrote a lot about the team at the beginning of the season for the globe. I believe that's where he coined Defoe as "Toronto Soccer Jesus."

Detroit_TFC
12-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Would love to see DeKlerk at the academy but I doubt he would endorse the approaches revealed yesterday. So, that is not happening.

molenshtain
12-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Rongen just got the job as the Tampa bay Rowdies coach, in case anyone was wondering where he went.

jloome
12-19-2014, 01:30 PM
I agree with what Areathrasher said too, but I think this article is totally fair criticism. And entertainingly written at that.

It was a cynical and stupid article by a member of a cynical and stupid industry, one that I spent years in and has never, ever given either soccer a fair shake or, dare I say it, nuance.

A soccer club is about dozens of components. They talked about the Academy and how they want to develop talent; a bunch of daily reporters desperate for that day's lump of news gristle didn't get anything immediately relevant, so they bitched and whined, and wrote about how irrelevant it was.

Anyone who judges whether something is relative to their club by whether Cathal Kelly likes it or not -- or Steve Buffery or Steve Simmons, for that matter -- should probably stick their head in a gas oven now, as there will never be anything that DOESN'T elicit the same tired, sarcastic cynicism. If Toronto turned things around (and none of these writers have actually addressed the current state of the team, just the failures of the past) one day and actually makes the playoffs, its unlikely any one of these guys would bother writing about it. They'd just turn to another Toronto team that lost that day and go "well, aren't we still just the shittiest?"

I worked with people like this for twenty years. Sports reporters are the most single-minded, cynical, jaded and useless of the breed. They stopped allowing them license to dig and gave them the right to treat opinion as if it were news, and they ran with it.

Let's add a little balance to that TFC session, shall we?

How many people:
-- think tracking development metrics at a pro club is wrong
-- think ignoring recent sports science developments is right?
-- Thinks we should wait until kids are seventeen before we introduce top training techniques?

If you answered no to all of those questions, congratulations: you actually disagreed with Cathal Kelly. Because the only other thing he talks about is Defoe, and we know that for legal reasons, they can't talk about him. All this stuff about them being secretive or not open about it is crap, and the writers know it. It's contractual, it's legal and it's because they're negotiating.

I'll add one more question to that list:
-- How many people think TFC should discuss Defoe's situation publicly before it's worked out to move him or keep him?

Unless you answered no, I'd steer clear of the business world, or anything involving trust and tact. If you did answer no, congratulations: you officially disagree with Cathal Kelly completely. (Although typically, this just makes you normal and sane, so I wouldn't get too excited.)

Areathrasher
12-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Bingo.

Well said Jloome

reggie
12-19-2014, 01:42 PM
well said jloome....i stopped reading his crap a year ago,his stuff is perfect birdcage material.

pdubs
12-19-2014, 01:45 PM
excellent post jloome. Sums up my thoughts on this nicely. +1

Damien
12-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Cathal Kelly just writes things to stoke the fire... it's not necessarily intelligent or relevant.

Canary10
12-19-2014, 01:47 PM
It was a cynical and stupid article by a member of a cynical and stupid industry, one that I spent years in and has never, ever given either soccer a fair shake or, dare I say it, nuance.

A soccer club is about dozens of components. They talked about the Academy and how they want to develop talent; a bunch of daily reporters desperate for that day's lump of news gristle didn't get anything immediately relevant, so they bitched and whined, and wrote about how irrelevant it was.

Anyone who judges whether something is relative to their club by whether Cathal Kelly likes it or not -- or Steve Buffery or Steve Simmons, for that matter -- should probably stick their head in a gas oven now, as there will never be anything that DOESN'T elicit the same tired, sarcastic cynicism. If Toronto turned things around (and none of these writers have actually addressed the current state of the team, just the failures of the past) one day and actually makes the playoffs, its unlikely any one of these guys would bother writing about it. They'd just turn to another Toronto team that lost that day and go "well, aren't we still just the shittiest?"

I worked with people like this for twenty years. Sports reporters are the most single-minded, cynical, jaded and useless of the breed. They stopped allowing them license to dig and gave them the right to treat opinion as if it were news, and they ran with it.

Let's add a little balance to that TFC session, shall we?

How many people:
-- think tracking development metrics at a pro club is wrong
-- think ignoring recent sports science developments is right?
-- Thinks we should wait until kids are seventeen before we introduce top training techniques?

If you answered no to all of those questions, congratulations: you actually disagreed with Cathal Kelly. Because the only other thing he talks about is Defoe, and we know that for legal reasons, they can't talk about him. All this stuff about them being secretive or not open about it is crap, and the writers know it. It's contractual, it's legal and it's because they're negotiating.

I'll add one more question to that list:
-- How many people think TFC should discuss Defoe's situation publicly before it's worked out to move him or keep him?

Unless you answered no, I'd steer clear of the business world, or anything involving trust and tact. If you did answer no, congratulations: you officially disagree with Cathal Kelly completely. (Although typically, this just makes you normal and sane, so I wouldn't get too excited.)

Ha ha. Nicely written.

Again, I don't disagree with you, or with what Areathrasher said. But there is a time and place for this stuff, and this was the wrong time and the wrong place. And honestly, bragging about things that my fucking running coach does with a bunch of committed, but amateur, athletes is just plain sad. The fact that TFC can be so horribly misread the mood like this so often is pathetic and embarrassing.

OgtheDim
12-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Call me old-fashioned, but given the choice between my football club having a 'director of cognitive development' and a 'kit man', I'd go for the latter.

Ur old fashioned.

OgtheDim
12-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Ha ha. Nicely written.

Again, I don't disagree with you, or with what Areathrasher said. But there is a time and place for this stuff, and this was the wrong time and the wrong place. ...

There isn't a better time to do this, actually. Middle of December, while Free Agents are being courted and before the draft.

As for it affecting the views of Supporters: its not always about us.

Canary10
12-19-2014, 02:08 PM
There isn't a better time to do this, actually. Middle of December, while Free Agents are being courted and before the draft.

As for it affecting the views of Supporters: its not always about us.

I'm sorry, but you don't do a 90 minute, academic/conference style discussion of things like the protective coating around nerve fibres in the central nervous system to a bunch of (as jloome correctly points out) cynical and stupid sports reporters. Ever.

Yohan
12-19-2014, 02:15 PM
http://the11.ca/2014/12/19/atiba-hutchinson-can-negotiate-new-deal-in-january-and-hess-open-to-mls-move/

he may just be being polite, but Hutch says he's open to move to MLS

Areathrasher
12-19-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm sorry, but you don't do a 90 minute, academic/conference style discussion of things like the protective coating around nerve fibres in the central nervous system to a bunch of (as jloome correctly points out) cynical and stupid sports reporters. Ever.

And the only media person in the room with any knowledge to comment on that sort of thing was DeVos and his article was probably the best of the bunch yesterday

Ajax TFC
12-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Hutch + Bradley
http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/5514414.jpg

portu
12-19-2014, 02:28 PM
shea signs for orlando but not as a dp
what was stopping us last year then?

Areathrasher
12-19-2014, 02:30 PM
shea signs for orlando but not as a dp
what was stopping us last year then?

They are paying down his salary with their mountain of allocation.

Also that the Orlando and Stoke have strong links given who their president and coaches are.

jloome
12-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Oh, I'll agree with that. TFC has never had solid media advice, as far as I can tell.

This is the kind of thing you do one-on-one with a reporter you know also follows the team. I'd have given Armen an exclusive on that stuff; he's knowledgeable enough to turn it into fascinating sidebars and not rely on it for his day-to-day.

But day-to-day deadline sports guys just want the next day's headline. If you don't give them a decent one, they'll make one up.

Villa TFC
12-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Ur old fashioned. Thanks Og :o I'll go and get my walker and buy some laxatives now.

ag futbol
12-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Yeah at the very least it seemed a bit town deaf. But it also struck me how low-brow sports can be at times with people shunning intellectual arguments in favor of gossip rag material.

i find it ironic that a guy like Kelly, who readily grandstands, as if writing from his thesaurus, falls back on really basic themes. Sports coverage in this town has zero depth, for every team not called the leafs.

Canary10
12-19-2014, 02:52 PM
I think they should have targeted it to Off the Record with Michael Landsberg. Would have been perfect for that show.

Areathrasher
12-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Arry saying Defoe is too expensive now...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2880494/Harry-Redknapp-says-QPR-look-loan-deals-January-plays-moves-Peter-Crouch-Jermain-Defoe.html

jloome
12-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Yeah at the very least it seemed a bit town deaf. But it also struck me how low-brow sports can be at times with people shunning intellectual arguments in favor of gossip rag material.

i find it ironic that a guy like Kelly, who readily grandstands, as if writing from his thesaurus, falls back on really basic themes. Sports coverage in this town has zero depth, for every team not called the leafs.

There are three types of sports guys, generally:
* Daily beat guys. These guys are NEWS reporters, first and foremost, who just happen to cover the thing they love, sports (buy not necessarily THE sport they love). So they're tasked with the same job of finding a new scandal daily to write the most salacious, sellable headline; and yet their employers harness their passion for the game to get better prose, which also unfortunately biases the reporting.

* The columnists. These have multiple subcategories but suffice is to say that after a few years, they're generally privileged, whine incessantly about travel issues, get paid salaries most in the biz would dream of, and haven't done any real reporting that wasn't basically handed to them by a drinking buddy or beat reporter since Glenn Sather was a rookie coach.

* The involved. These are people who started as pro players or heavy-duty fans and then harnessed that desire to cover something they love. They couldn't develop an investigative piece or a clever sidebar if their life depended on (because they've never been a NEWS person, so they've never had the insane, soul-crushing pressure of winning daily), but they'll cover everything the team gives them, be critically fair and balanced, and generally not piss off fans, who don't give a shit about selling newspapers.

If we could combine these three people, we'd have ... well, the odd good reporter. They exist but typically, after fifteen or twenty years of putting up with an industry that is completely mediocre in every way, they take a buyout in frustration and find something else to do; so the species is dying out, generally.

Canary10
12-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Arry saying Defoe is too expensive now...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2880494/Harry-Redknapp-says-QPR-look-loan-deals-January-plays-moves-Peter-Crouch-Jermain-Defoe.html

I said it before. I don't see the market for Defoe in the EPL. I don't think we'll have any takers on his salary.

barticusz
12-19-2014, 02:59 PM
jloome.. 100% on point. Thank you for that wonderful piece there. That read, ladies and gentlemen, gives you more relevant information on what transpired yesterday than what Kelly's article had.

btw.. I thought I was the only Edmontonian TFCer on these forums. Nice to have some company!

jloome
12-19-2014, 03:12 PM
jloome.. 100% on point. Thank you for that wonderful piece there. That read, ladies and gentlemen, gives you more relevant information on what transpired yesterday than what Kelly's article had.

btw.. I thought I was the only Edmontonian TFCer on these forums. Nice to have some company!
Cheers. I'm a Beaumontian these days.

Areathrasher
12-19-2014, 03:38 PM
I said it before. I don't see the market for Defoe in the EPL. I don't think we'll have any takers on his salary.

If he is going to leave I could see a scenario where a QPR/Leicester/Palace pay maybe $2m to take him on loan for six months and if they stay up a clause kicks in to make a deal permanent.

He'll end up in England but it'll be done at the end of Jan and won't necessarily be an outright transfer - that's my prediction :lol:

Canary10
12-19-2014, 04:02 PM
If he is going to leave I could see a scenario where a QPR/Leicester/Palace pay maybe $2m to take him on loan for six months and if they stay up a clause kicks in to make a deal permanent.

He'll end up in England but it'll be done at the end of Jan and won't necessarily be an outright transfer - that's my prediction :lol:

Will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out. He's on 90,000 pounds a week. I just can't see anyone near the drop zone willing/able to spend that kind of money. I think if he does go it might be a team higher up the table. Maybe even City with their striker problems right now.

ag futbol
12-19-2014, 04:30 PM
So we all hope the ground is frozen solid morning of the 25th and we get a few torn striker ligaments for Christmas. To be followed by inflated prices in the transfer window of course :)

OgtheDim
12-19-2014, 04:59 PM

To me this is the same sort of thing as a discussion about our training facilities. Jeremy Hall running around our world class facilities means nothing to me.

In a few weeks, nobody will care what the stupid reporters thought. Agents, players....moms (well apart from Defoe's Mom).....might be another story.

Its information. It got out there. That Kelly got bored.....meh.

OgtheDim
12-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks Og :o I'll go and get my walker and buy some laxatives now.

I'm so old I played in a 2-3-5 formation before we knew what the word formation meant.

jloome
12-19-2014, 06:35 PM
I'm so old I played in a 2-3-5 formation before we knew what the word formation meant.

Ah, English schoolboy football in the 70s...the eighteen-pound wet leather ball, the studs that could crack bone....

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Ah, English schoolboy football in the 70s...the eighteen-pound wet leather ball, the studs that could crack bone....

while chainsmoking filterless cigarettes on the side line

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2014, 08:55 PM
inbetween shifts at the mine

jloome
12-19-2014, 09:28 PM
inbetween shifts at the mine

Luxury! We didn't get shifts, they just worked us til we could stand no longer, let us sleep for twenty minutes, then it was back down the hole!

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Luxury! We didn't get shifts, they just worked us til we could stand no longer, let us sleep for twenty minutes, then it was back down the hole!

We used to have to walk 4 miles to work and 10 miles back!

MightyDM
12-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Luxury! Me dad would wake us up before we went to bed.....

jloome
12-19-2014, 11:34 PM

Cooorr, your father talked to you?!? Bloody luxury. Our would let us know when it was bedtime by striking us three times over the head with a cast-iron skillet. Twenty minutes later, he'd light our toes on fire to let us know it was time to get back down the hole.

Joe Kool
12-20-2014, 01:11 AM

You had a bed? You were lucky....there was 40 of us huddled together in a cardboard box.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-20-2014, 01:48 AM
You had a bed? You were lucky....there was 40 of us huddled together in a cardboard box.

You had a cardboard box? We lived in a shoebox... AT THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE!

Yohan
12-20-2014, 02:17 AM
ok. back on topic :p

0bl1vious
12-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Ahh yeaaass.

Just beginning the day with a fresh coffee and going to the RPB forum to catch up on transfer speculation....well that escalated quickly.

gracos
12-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Former player D Henry is being linked to Westham United; hope things work out for him in his future endeavours

flamehawk
12-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Former player D Henry is being linked to Westham United; hope things work out for him in his future endeavours

I wonder how long it will take before the next academy product ends up as our starting CB. I know Manella can play there, but I am guessing they see him more as a CDM. I wonder if Elias Roubos is planning to complete his four years at college, he's always looked great everytime I've seen him play.

Areathrasher
12-20-2014, 11:42 AM
He has a work permit hearing on Monday. If it goes well and he gets one, he is going to West Ham

Canary10
12-20-2014, 12:01 PM
He has a work permit hearing on Monday. If it goes well and he gets one, he is going to West Ham

Good for him! Bit of a fuck you to all the people calling him shit during the season.

SirBobSaget
12-20-2014, 12:28 PM
So what was the transfer fee for Henry?

reggie
12-20-2014, 12:30 PM
i sure hope tfc get a chunk of that transfer fee if he goes to WH.

sully
12-20-2014, 12:33 PM
So what was the transfer fee for Henry?

According to the daily mail it's 1.5 million pounds so about $2.4 million in Canadian. But his Cypriot club gets the transfer fee. The whole thing is weird...

Areathrasher
12-20-2014, 12:40 PM
According to the daily mail it's 1.5 million pounds so about $2.4 million in Canadian. But his Cypriot club gets the transfer fee. The whole thing is weird...

I'm certain I read somewhere that TFC get a sell on % as part of any other deal.

EDIT: YUP

Bezbatchenko didn’t rule out the possibility of Henry being loaned back to TFC for the duration of the 2015 MLS campaign. He also said there’s a chance the club from Cyprus could sell Henry off to another team in Europe, but only after first consulting with TFC. If Henry was sold, Toronto would receive compensation, but Bezbatchenko wouldn’t offer specifics.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-major-league-soccer-doneil-henry-tfc-toronto-fc-apollon-limassol/

mowe
12-20-2014, 12:40 PM

TFC will definitely have negotiated for a portion of the transfer fee. The whole point of the Cyprus thing was to get him to West Ham.

Did anyone watch the Premier League post game show on TSN? Wileman and Jack were gonna talk more about the transfer.

reggie
12-20-2014, 12:42 PM
i would be shocked if tfc dont get a chunk of that fee,i heard somewhere that the Cypriot club paid 500k for HENRY,,i sure hope bez put in a clause in that transfer,if not its jus another bone head move by TFC.

sully
12-20-2014, 12:51 PM
this is the daily mail article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2881827/West-Ham-United-await-Doneil-Henry-news-Sam-Allardyce-looks-bolster-line.html

Yohan
12-20-2014, 01:09 PM
I'd be very shocked if Henry gets a work permit. very. Canada's ranking just isn't high enough

Ruffian
12-20-2014, 01:19 PM
I'd be very shocked if Henry gets a work permit. very. Canada's ranking just isn't high enough

Obviously West Ham thinks they have a good chance or they would not have got into this complicated situation.

Pint
12-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Anyone know how the allocation would work? We got allocation for the sale to cyprus but would we also get allocation from the sell on assuming we kept a %.

jloome
12-20-2014, 01:23 PM

It doesn't matter. His agent is now probably working with Joorabchian to get him a cyprus passport; there's a loophole based on declared assets. So all they have to do is have Joorbanian buy him the assets, then have a clause in the west ham contract referring any cyprus assets back to Joorbanian and bingo, Cyprus passport allowing EU work.

But it takes a while and they probably figure they might as well just appeal based on "wonderkid" status; there's a clause in the Brit system that you can appeal the max appearance regulations and national rating if the player is considered a major prospect, but it's rarely granted these days.

It's something like that. Toronto probably felt it was too risky so they took the money from the cyprus club upfront; that way, if the passport scam falls apart they're still compensated for their player.

jloome
12-20-2014, 01:24 PM
It doesn't matter. His agent is now probably working with Joorbanian to get him a cyprus passport; there's a loophole based on declared assets. So all they have to do is have Joorbanian buy him the assets, then have a clause in the west ham contract referring any cyprus assets back to Joorbanian and bingo, Cyprus passport allowing EU work.

But it takes a while and they probably figure they might as well just appeal based on "wonderkid" status; there's a clause in the Brit system that you can appeal the max appearance regulations and national rating if the player is considered a major prospect, but it's rarely granted these days.

It's something like that. Toronto probably felt it was too risky so they took the money from the cyprus club upfront; that way, if the passport scam falls apart they're still compensated for their player.

Just in case anyone's wondering, yes, this probably means we gave up a $3 million transfer fee for a $500,000 one, just to be certain we got the money.

jloome
12-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Anyone know how the allocation would work? We got allocation for the sale to cyprus but would we also get allocation from the sell on assuming we kept a %.

Only if stipulated in the deal between us and Limassol.

OgtheDim
12-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Dodgy stuff this. And for all we know, he might be loaned back to us by West Ham anyways.

Areathrasher
12-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Only if stipulated in the deal between us and Limassol.Bez stated that there is a sell on clause. Its in the article linked further up the page.

jloome
12-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Bez stated that there is a sell on clause. Its in the article linked further up the page.

Ok.... so this is probably how this goes down:

-- Kia Joorabchian realizes there is a loophole in Cyprus' passport law with respect to football; the $2.5M required to automatically get citizenship is a pretty low barrier, especially when there's nothing in the regulation that says you must MAINTAIN that level of income. Just that you have it when you apply. This gives him a chance to test whether he can use the nation to regular get around work permit regs.

-- He approaches Limassol, one of several clubs in Cyprus hit hard by the economic crisis there and needing an infusion of investment. He can't do so directly, but he CAN arrange for the club to get a slice of a bunch of deals.

-- He opens a joint account in Cyprus between one of his companies and the player in question. He purchases a local property (pretty cheap for a guy of his enormous wealth) and starts a company. Bingo, because the player is jointly assigned to the account, or has one started for him with a $2.5M deposit, and is employed by the company in Cyprus, he gets a fast-tracked passport.

-- Joorabchian has it written into the sell-on club's contract with the player that any upfront money is granted back. OR, if the joint account thing worked, he doesn't even have to do that.

The sell-on club maintains the illusion of propriety by applying for a work permit. In the meantime, the passport app is already underway. During the appeal process for the permit, or at the initial hearing if its granted, they point out that he now has a cyprus passport. He's granted a work permit. We don't hear what the argument was during the process, so the backdoor through cyprus isn't publicly discussed.

Something like that.

If it works, expect other Canadian and low-ranked-nation youth stars to use it. Joorabchian (or whoever, others will do it if it's a legal loophole) just has to cut the intermediary cyprus club a portion of the transfer each time, take a big chunk himself and, bob's your uncle, without spending an actual dime (except for buying house, a pretty low-end investment) he's raking in millions in agent fees.

Areathrasher
12-20-2014, 02:33 PM
What are the odds our next DP is a Joochabarin client?

Mark TFC
12-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Just another article...
http://www.thescore.com/news/662432

shwade
12-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Just another article...
http://www.thescore.com/news/662432

Wow. .hope they can slim down his bone headedness and polish him up.

jazzy
12-20-2014, 06:47 PM

if it goes through , couldn't happen to a better young man , yes he will probably be loaned out to a lower league but it's a fine continuation to his carear . and to all his haters , ...just desserts , .........makes my day .

jazzy
12-20-2014, 06:59 PM
TFC will definitely have negotiated for a portion of the transfer fee. The whole point of the Cyprus thing was to get him to West Ham.

Did anyone watch the Premier League post game show on TSN? Wileman and Jack were gonna talk more about the transfer.

yes Jack and Voss both mentioned IF he gets the work permit , (not a given ) , it was fitting and deserved . AND he could / should end up being a leader for the next ten years for CNMT . They mentioned yes like ALL young CB'S he will and has made mistakes , he has amazing talent and all the tools to succeed . West Ham have always had an eye on him to hopefully develop him into a first squad player . Again right back at you haters . Sweet . It will be a local loss for sure but well deserved . And again will TFC be searching for old CB cast-offs from the old country.......We are in trouble at the back-end , heard that before .....

bigredone
12-21-2014, 09:25 AM
if it goes through , couldn't happen to a better young man , yes he will probably be loaned out to a lower league but it's a fine continuation to his carear . and to all his haters , ...just desserts , .........makes my day .

I believe that van Gaal is looking to solve all the United defence issues.

fdasilva
12-21-2014, 09:50 AM
May just be an unfounded rumour, but FC Porto are being linked to Henry.

CBC Sports article mentioning a "source" stating Porto were interested: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canadian-defender-doneil-henry-headed-to-west-ham-1.2880443
Portuguese site "Abola" also repeating this rumour: http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=520350

TFC07
12-21-2014, 09:58 AM
May just be an unfounded rumour, but FC Porto are being linked to Henry.

CBC Sports article mentioning a "source" stating Porto were interested: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canadian-defender-doneil-henry-headed-to-west-ham-1.2880443
Portuguese site "Abola" also repeating this rumour: http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=520350

Here I was thinking Henry is awful player that Hagglund should be starting over Henry. lol

OgtheDim
12-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Based on his play at some points last season, yes Hagglund did and should have started over Henry. Doesn't mean Hagglund has more potential then Henry. Both of them have a lot to learn. I'm happy for Henry but his transfer to a higher end European team does not erase the memory of

a) aimless passes to nobody when provided with space to run into
b) bone headed plays every game

ManUtd4ever
12-21-2014, 11:03 AM
I've always thought Henry had the potential to play top flight football in Europe, but I am surprised at the level of reported interest at this stage of his career. He improved throughout the course of last season, but he still has a lot of work to do on his distribution skills and his control when defending in the box.

ag futbol
12-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I disagree Hanglund is better than Henry. Hanglund's mistakes are less obvious to the naked eye, but they are just as frequent. On the upside, he is nowhere near as physically dominant. Statistically, Henry lead or was near top in a lot of defensive stats. Hanglund has a better nose for goal in the attacking end, but that's small compared to what your expecting from a CB.

I'm not certain Henry will ever be a starting prem defender, but 10 years down the line I'd put my money on him turning into the better player.

portu
12-21-2014, 01:31 PM
if porto's interested in Henry then he must have some kind of top level potential because the goal in Portugal with nearly every acquisition is to buy low and sell high

andmat
12-21-2014, 01:35 PM
What with all the hate on Henry? If he was not injured and started more then 18 games we probably would have been in a playoff spot.
And how many games did we lose by 3 or more goals when Henry did not start? it was several games,

jloome
12-21-2014, 02:36 PM
What with all the hate on Henry? If he was not injured and started more then 18 games we probably would have been in a playoff spot.
And how many games did we lose by 3 or more goals when Henry did not start? it was several games,

He statistcally led the team in clearances, tackles per game, balls won in the air. I pointed this out midseason and got shouted down by people who could only see the boneheaded young guy stuff. Henry was near the top of the league in tackles won, challenges won. On top of that, physically he's a monster athlete.

I think there's a good chance he makes it.

barticusz
12-21-2014, 07:31 PM
He statistcally led the team in clearances, tackles per game, balls won in the air. I pointed this out midseason and got shouted down by people who could only see the boneheaded young guy stuff. Henry was near the top of the league in tackles won, challenges won. On top of that, physically he's a monster athlete.

I think Henry makes it, if not with WHU, he will get onto another club in Europe and be a mainstay. There are very few CB's that can distrubute the ball.. but Henry has the ability to play solid, aggressive D. Of course he's made mistakes... he's 21.. This transfer proves how wrong a lot of us were about him and for judging him based on his mistakes.

Congrats to Doneil and I truely hope this all works out for him because it will only benefit Canadian soccer.

AdamAM
12-21-2014, 11:23 PM
How anybody could be against this I have no idea. This gives TFCA some exposure and proves that yes, we DO have the talent and players here in the GTA that are capable of making it big. Great job Doneil

SirBobSaget
12-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Really excited for Doneil, he seems a genuinely gracious local talent.

Hope he can continue to develop and lead the National team for years to come.

Red Skies At Night
12-22-2014, 09:43 AM
As a west ham supporter I am really happy for Doneil. Word from inside the training ground was that they were really taken by his athleticism, and they (the coaching staff) believe with the right coaching he could really be a great find. Apparently they were also quite pleased that he seemed to be off everyone else's radar, and relatively cheap for such a good prospect.

However, it must be noted that west ham, along with many other prem teams, have a history of bringing in these promising youngsters, and then they're never heard from again until they are released 2 years later. It's one step to get the opportunity, it's another, major step to take that opportunity and make something of it.

But I'm pretty sure we're all rooting for Doneil to make a name for himself.

COYI / COYR :cheers:

speckles
12-22-2014, 10:07 AM
As a west ham supporter I am really happy for Doneil. Word from inside the training ground was that they were really taken by his athleticism, and they (the coaching staff) believe with the right coaching he could really be a great find. Apparently they were also quite pleased that he seemed to be off everyone else's radar, and relatively cheap for such a good prospect.

However, it must be noted that west ham, along with many other prem teams, have a history of bringing in these promising youngsters, and then they're never heard from again until they are released 2 years later. It's one step to get the opportunity, it's another, major step to take that opportunity and make something of it.

Well he is coming in weaker than Reid who really did struggle in the EPL initially and only mature with a season in the Champ. See him being loaned out and hopefully doesn't get lost in the process...

If WHU stays top four, Reid is going nowhere..reduces Doneil long term prospect further.

Detroit_TFC
12-22-2014, 10:47 AM
When this goes through (I think it will) he'll be loaned out immediately, standard operating procedure. In fact, that would be the best outcome, the alternative is getting stuck on a U21 squad playing vs other U21 squads.

C.Ronaldo
12-22-2014, 11:30 AM

thats the key

he is extremely athletic and for large man.

He can get up so high, he has size and strenght and can run too. He made errors, but they weren't anything out of place for a young CB on a team that left its D out hanging so often.

Im excited for his career. This is very good for CMNT and the TFC Acad.

TFC/Everton
12-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Will never forget Henry hugging the fans in 112/113 after the last home game of the year. Tears in his eyes.

Damn proud of him!

(I will always hate West Ham)

Ultra & Proud
12-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Glad to see Henry get his work permit. Hope he does well and at least gets a good look at WHU. Either way this is a big plus for the CMNT & for the TFCA.

Canary10
12-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Well he got it.

Red CB Toronto
12-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Best of Luck to him, from the day he first stepped on the pitch at BMO in the Canadian Championship vs. Vancouver to now, he has worn the badge with All-Heart. Watch him succeed.

brad
12-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Best of luck to him. Hope he does us proud and becomes a rock at the back for the CMNT for the next decade.

HeyToronto
12-22-2014, 12:05 PM

So do you think will be given a chance at the first team or be loaned out to Championship club the rest of this season or something like that?

Richard
12-22-2014, 12:22 PM
I think playing in the championship is better for his natural progression, he isn't really even a bench player in the EPL considering his mental side of the game is subpar at this point in time.

Looking forward to how he develops. Hopefully TFC didn't get fleeced but I doubt it.

ag futbol
12-22-2014, 12:35 PM
thats the key

he is extremely athletic and for large man.

He can get up so high, he has size and strenght and can run too. He made errors, but they weren't anything out of place for a young CB on a team that left its D out hanging so often.

Im excited for his career. This is very good for CMNT and the TFC Acad.
Yeah, the size / strength thing can't be understated. Easily top 5 in MLS. I remember when we played Van and he tossed Hassli aside like a rag doll; EH just looked back in disbelief that this kid just out muscled him by such a large margin.

If a club like Porto wants to take a flyer, that's enough for me to eat my hat on any criticism. They probably have the best scouting department on the planet, at least as far as finding under valued players goes.

Ruffian
12-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Yeah, the size / strength thing can't be understated. Easily top 5 in MLS. I remember when we played Van and he tossed Hassli aside like a rag doll; EH just looked back in disbelief that this kid just out muscled him by such a large margin.

If a club like Porto wants to take a flyer, that's enough for me to eat my hat on any criticism. They probably have the best scouting department on the planet, at least as far as finding under valued players goes.

I would assume now that the visa issue is cleared up, West Ham is a done deal. Henry has talked in the past how his goal was to get to the EPL.