PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2014-15 Off-Season player moves/speculation/rumours/etc. thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16

Yohan
01-14-2015, 09:48 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/jermain-defoe-sold-by-toronto-fc-to-sunderland-1.2899927?cmp=rss

TFC is after Giovinco and 2nd CAM who also has a contract running out 1 Jul

Canary10
01-14-2015, 09:51 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/jermain-defoe-sold-by-toronto-fc-to-sunderland-1.2899927?cmp=rss

TFC is after Giovinco and 2nd CAM who also has a contract running out 1 Jul

Could be Bryan Ruiz by that description. He's out of contract at the end of the season. Of course, could be a lot of people by that description.

C.Ronaldo
01-14-2015, 10:09 AM
--Altidore - Gilberto
-----Giovinco
????? /////// ?????
---- Bradley ------

Who could we target to play wing? Even just a loaned player, or we trade a pick for an MLS player. As long as it's a player that can hit the target.

thats alot of athleticism and energy around giovino, if we are going with findley and Jackson/odouro in those spots, I think TFCs game plan is to just run every team into the ground

Areathrasher
01-14-2015, 10:17 AM
i'd love it to be Ruiz

19Barrett19
01-14-2015, 10:33 AM
The way i see it if it turns out to be true is....
altidore ST
Gilberto RW Giovinco LW
CM RUIZ CM Osorio
CDM Bradley
LB Morrow CB Perquis CB Caldwell RB Bloom
GK Bendik

Subs
Oduro
Jackson
Bekker
Moore
dike
haglund
crevalle
Delgado
lovitz

Sold team with sold depth top team in MLS. HOPE ALL WORKS OUT

19Barrett19
01-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Not to me ti on the work rate of Bradley giovinco and gilberto we would run teams stupid all game

Detroit_TFC
01-14-2015, 11:19 AM
All I can think about this am is Giovinco but I'm not seeing anything out on the rumor mills that even mentions TFC. Seeing Fiorentina and Monaco mainly.

Milanista
01-14-2015, 11:22 AM
If Fiorentina is involved good luck TFC, they have a nice team-great manager and play in one of the nicest cities on earth....only way we can compete is to over pay for him. Which I would because he is legit....Yeah Kaka and Villa are bigger names, but Giovinco is a better player at this point in time and should be solid for another 5 plus years

Detroit_TFC
01-14-2015, 11:25 AM
If Fiorentina is involved good luck TFC, they have a nice team-great manager and play in one of the nicest cities on earth....only way we can compete is to over pay for him. Which I would because he is legit....Yeah Kaka and Villa are bigger names, but Giovinco is a better player at this point in time and should be solid for another 5 plus years

Agree, would be a massive signing. Worth it to knock these other offers out of the way.

Milanista
01-14-2015, 11:31 AM
only knock on Giovinco is he is small, like 5 foot 3 small lol....but that is what makes him a tricky guy to mark with his low centre of gravity

RealG-TFC
01-14-2015, 11:52 AM
only knock on Giovinco is he is small, like 5 foot 3 small lol....but that is what makes him a tricky guy to mark with his low centre of gravity

One just has to look at Joao Plata, who is actually 4 cm shorter than Giovnco.

Ultra & Proud
01-14-2015, 11:53 AM
All I can think about this am is Giovinco but I'm not seeing anything out on the rumor mills that even mentions TFC. Seeing Fiorentina and Monaco mainly.
I'm seeing it everywhere that it's almost a done deal for July.

I am sure Bez & T.L are totally overpaying but I really don't care at this point.

The question I have is exactly how many DP spots we looking at this year? Seems like we still got hooks in the water for a couple other big names.

Phil
01-14-2015, 11:57 AM

I am sure Bez & T.L are totally overpaying but I really don't care at this point.

The question I have is exactly how many DP spots we looking at this year? Seems like we still got hooks in the water for a couple other big names.

I saw one report say 7 million a season.....wow

4 DP slots is what I keep hearing.

barticusz
01-14-2015, 12:00 PM
I saw one report say 7 million a season.....wow

4 DP slots is what I keep hearing.

I still think the league would be very smart to make it 5 DP's with two of them being domestic. Or at least one of them being domestic. You improve the overall talent level and have the ability to keep your most talented domestic talent in this league.

Detroit_TFC
01-14-2015, 12:01 PM

I'm seeing that all from N. American sources, none from Italian sources. Not saying that isn't not really true, I just think that if TFC was on the verge of signing him, might see a mention from Gazzette dello Sport or something. Hope you are right.

barticusz
01-14-2015, 12:03 PM
I'm seeing that all from N. American sources, none from Italian sources. Not saying that isn't not really true, I just think that if TFC was on the verge of signing him, might see a mention from Gazzette dello Sport or something. Hope you are right.

It was first reported by Italian sources (over a week ago now, multiple times) Calcio i believe?, it's reported in the Mirror in England and all over.

Milanista
01-14-2015, 12:04 PM
@ 7 million he would be an idiot to not join. He has no real chance at making the Italian Euro team, lots of younger players will be coming in by then for the Italian team. Time for him to use his brain and cash in, he gets paid i believe 1.8 mil euros now @ Juve.
@ 7 mil thats a massive increase and he can be set for life with a 4 year deal

Milanista
01-14-2015, 12:04 PM

I posted a link from italian papers, its being menitoned in italy

Phil
01-14-2015, 12:08 PM

In the past year or two TFC have been meeting and communicating with Juve pretty regularly. So it might be a deep deal that has been ongoing.

Don't really know, this time of year I don't do a lot of cage rattling as its never done till its done (ala Forlan).

19Barrett19
01-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Now we have 3 dps. If the league was smart then they should add more dps slots if player are USA. Hence Bradley and altidore would be DP's but actually not count as DP'S. So tfc having gilberto as one DP they then could add two more . Then bringing Bradley and altidore down with allocation money because they also would be sitting as counting 366 k against the cap. One can dream. Though Seattle and LA and maybe new England and new York could also take advantage because they also have some expensive US players on their roster.

Detroit_TFC
01-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Ok - glad that there is more out there than I've come across.

ensco
01-14-2015, 12:20 PM
If we do get Altidore and Giovinco, I don't see Gilberto staying whether we have 4 DP slots or not.

The guy will be pissed. Even if he is still starting because we go 4-3-3 (which is probably a bad formation for Altidore), he is not going to get to Europe sharing the ball with two other huge names.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Ill wait and see. Gotta say I'm a bit confused as to how Gilberto and Altidore will work along with all the other strikers.

Defoe
01-14-2015, 12:26 PM
If we do get Altidore and Giovinco, I don't see Gilberto staying whether we have 4 DP slots or not.

The guy will be pissed. Even if he is still starting because we go 4-3-3 (which is probably a bad formation for Altidore), he is not going to get to Europe sharing the ball with two other huge names.

So he wouldn't play with other good players in Europe? If he can't perform with service from guys like Giovinco in MLS he can't preform in Europe

Areathrasher
01-14-2015, 12:27 PM
If Giovinco signs, Gilberto is gone before Giovinco sees the field in a TFC jersey.

19Barrett19
01-14-2015, 12:30 PM
I think gilberto stays. He's a work horse and very unselfish. I also belive tfc would benefit keeping him. If he has a good season then they could sel him and profit from it. Getting rid of him would be a waste of Laba

jloome
01-14-2015, 12:32 PM

Nah. (Man, you're a nabob of negativity this week!).

Altidore played in a 4-3-3 at AZ. Scored a lot of goals. As for getting to Europe, he'll score more goals playing with Altidore holding up the ball for him and Giovinco setting some up than with guys like Jackson and Oduro. Moore is a pretty decent setup guy, when he's showing some motivation, which was rare last season.

jloome
01-14-2015, 12:33 PM
If Giovinco signs, Gilberto is gone before Giovinco sees the field in a TFC jersey.

Why?

Areathrasher
01-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Why?

DP spots.

I'm not taking a 4th spot as given and the proposed 4th spot that has the DP threshold at 750k means spending a shit ton of allo to pay Gils contract down.

Red4ever
01-14-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm not Italian, but, it would be great to see that community getting jacked up over something happening at TFC.

haha I would settle for not shit talking it, but yeah, I agree 100%

Spot on. Get another striker back in the summer window for down the stretch. But I can't see any way you're wrong.

A Stick
01-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Ill wait and see. Gotta say I'm a bit confused as to how Gilberto and Altidore will work along with all the other strikers.

4 - 1 - 3 - 2 system

Altidore Gilberto
Osorio Giovinco Bradley's other friend
Bradley
Morrow Perquis Caldwell Bloom
Bendik

barticusz
01-14-2015, 12:58 PM
DP spots.

I'm not taking a 4th spot as given and the proposed 4th spot that has the DP threshold at 750k means spending a shit ton of allo to pay Gils contract down.

TFC has time though. Gio wouldn't get here until July so until then they still only have 3 DP's no? They just need to wait out the CBA process.

With the way things are going I would be absolutley shocked if the League didnt' include additional DP slots.. Theyre likely signing a long term CBA wouldnt' they want to plan for the future growth of the league like they keep preaching?

ensco
01-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Nah. (Man, you're a nabob of negativity this week!).

Altidore played in a 4-3-3 at AZ. Scored a lot of goals. As for getting to Europe, he'll score more goals playing with Altidore holding up the ball for him and Giovinco setting some up than with guys like Jackson and Oduro. Moore is a pretty decent setup guy, when he's showing some motivation, which was rare last season.

No nabob here, I just thought the idea that we could just sell Defoe was crazy. Looks like I was wrong. We don't really know yet.

Moore has to be gone too. How would Moore ever see the field with all those guys there? Using an international slot for a reserve striker is nuts.

I am being realistic about Gilberto. He wants to be the man. The likelihood of locker room drama with all three of those guys there (and don't forget about Findley! I bet Bez is sorry he did that now) is 100%.

Ultra & Proud
01-14-2015, 12:59 PM
In the past year or two TFC have been meeting and communicating with Juve pretty regularly. So it might be a deep deal that has been ongoing.
So what you're saying is that I should get ready for a Juve V. TFC friendly in July?

Marc"2L"
01-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Tim and Sid right now

JuliquE
01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
No nabob here, I just thought the idea that we could just sell Defoe was crazy. Looks like I was wrong. We don't really know yet.

Moore has to be gone too. How would Moore ever see the field with all those guys there? Using an international slot for a reserve striker is nuts.

I am being realistic about Gilberto. He wants to be the man. The likelihood of locker room drama with all three of those guys there (and don't forget about Findley! I bet Bez is sorry he did that now) is 100%.
Not that I don't see this as a possibility, but I really never took him for the "me, me, me" type, to a point where he'd want to leave the club; from last season, it just looked like he got tired of taking a back-seat all the time, and maybe got a bit of a selfish "me against the world" streak. I feel like it will be a fresh start, this time 'round, and a chance to really settle into a fair role in the side (which you feel he WILL get).

Besides that, wouldn't he be happy for the attention he might get to be playing with bigger names—networking opportunities, etc. (when you consider his ambitions to play at the highest level, himself, one day)?!

jloome
01-14-2015, 01:19 PM
I don't see it. None of these guys has a rep for ego; in fact, Altidore's biggest issue at Sunderland was his refusal to shoot (he had half as many attempts and twice as many passes in the same number of games as Wickham and Fletcher). He'd hold up the ball and dish it but refused to play selfish -- which given how so many of the EPL's goals are scored by a final move beating a defender right before the shot pretty much guaranteed he wouldn't score.

You can't generalize these things. This isn't Skalbania's Allouettes, where all the talent coming in was already certifiably nuts.

ensco
01-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Not that I don't see this as a possibility, but I really never took him for the "me, me, me" type, to a point where he'd want to leave the club; from last season, it just looked like he got tired of taking a back-seat all the time, and maybe got a bit of a selfish "me against the world" streak. I feel like it will be a fresh start, this time 'round, and a chance to really settle into a fair role in the side (which you feel he WILL get).

Besides that, wouldn't he be happy for the attention he might get to be playing with bigger names—networking opportunities, etc. (when you consider his ambitions to play at the highest level, himself, one day)?!

“I’ve set a goal. I’m trying to score 25 goals (this season)” the Brazilian forward said through a translator.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-notebook-roster-looks-pretty-set/

It's a business. A 25 year old Brazilian that scores 20+ goals in MLS could get big money in Europe somewhere. He will not come close to that if Altitore and Giovinco are here, and even in the small possibility that he does score 20 as a winger (I cannot see it), it'll be devalued by the names around him (what is the over/under on BWP's production without Henry? 10 goals?)

gdg_9
01-14-2015, 01:22 PM

Could be wrong, but pretty sure Moore counts as a domestic.

Canary10
01-14-2015, 01:25 PM

He has specifically said his goal is Europe.

Red4ever
01-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Tim and Sid right now

A self loathing bunch... he's not wrong.

Hieberrr
01-14-2015, 01:30 PM
LMAO that background music on Tim and Sid.

I will remember youuuuuuu
Will you remember me?

Red4ever
01-14-2015, 01:32 PM
This is very entertaining radio haha

Slick
01-14-2015, 01:39 PM
From a TFC standpoint, I'm happy that Defoe is gone. I really appreciated watching his talent and all, but he was becoming a distraction to the club.

I know there's been quite a few folks commending Tim B. for selling him, but you gotta wonder what would happen if Tim L. was not with the organization. In my eyes, the man is a born salesman, and I'm not sure if we could pull this off if he was not affiliated with the club. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

gdg_9
01-14-2015, 01:42 PM
From a TFC standpoint, I'm happy that Defoe is gone. I really appreciated watching his talent and all, but he was becoming a distraction to the club.

I know there's been quite a few folks commending Tim B. for selling him, but you gotta wonder what would happen if Tim L. was not with the organization. In my eyes, the man is a born salesman, and I'm not sure if we could pull this off if he was not affiliated with the club. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Definitely not!

We also wouldn't have got Defoe in the first place if it weren't for Tim L.

And say what you want about Defoe's time here... it was great for MLSE.
They sold a ton of jersey's and merch, had an uptick in attendance, and even managed to make a small profit on the transfers! ($1M if reports are to be believed).

Probably one example of why MLSE is now rumoured to be trying to convince Tim L to stay on board!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-14-2015, 02:44 PM
4 - 1 - 3 - 2 system

Altidore Gilberto
Osorio Giovinco Bradley's other friend
Bradley
Morrow Perquis Caldwell Bloom
Bendik

Not mad at all

barticusz
01-14-2015, 03:06 PM
“I’ve set a goal. I’m trying to score 25 goals (this season)” the Brazilian forward said through a translator.

It's a business. A 25 year old Brazilian that scores 20+ goals in MLS could get big money in Europe somewhere. He will not come close to that if Altitore and Giovinco are here, and even in the small possibility that he does score 20 as a winger (I cannot see it), it'll be devalued by the names around him (what is the over/under on BWP's production without Henry? 10 goals?)

Unless of course they develop great chemistry and Gilberto grabs a bunch of assists as well. If the team is winning and he is producing he will draw interest as being more than just a scorer.

JuliquE
01-14-2015, 03:45 PM

To be fair, I believe he was asked about what his goal return might look like, and, whilst he does set his sights on 25, I don't think that he'll be flailing his arms about when people don't pass to him, in trying to achieve that goal; he has always repeated, without being asked, that he's mostly just happy for the team to win, before any individual goals, and has almost every time I've seen him speak to media types said that he loves it in Toronto and is committed 100%.

He has specifically said his goal is Europe.
Of course it is, as I would hope it is for every young player on our roster, aspiring to play at the highest level. He doesn't at all strike me as the sort to be getting ahead of himself, though, and I can well imagine him being convinced to stay beyond his four years with the club, if, after a bit of a turbulent start, he enjoys some success with us. If a big club comes in for him, it's good for both of us, and no one can question the effort he puts in, when he pulls on our crest.

Unless of course they develop great chemistry and Gilberto grabs a bunch of assists as well. If the team is winning and he is producing he will draw interest as being more than just a scorer.
This is exactly it; the bigger names, whilst maybe cutting into his goal return, will be relieving the pressure on him, and thus allowing him to play his best football. The attention they will bring won't hurt his chances, either, and if he's got a respectable return, he'll be regarded as integral to our success, all the same.

Detroit_TFC
01-14-2015, 03:47 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/555464121320472577)
2/2 Take this for what it's worth: A colleague (not at Sportsnet) has spoken to Giovinco's agent who told him move to #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) is not imminent.

booooo

mowe
01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/555464121320472577)
2/2 Take this for what it's worth: A colleague (not at Sportsnet) has spoken to Giovinco's agent who told him move to #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) is not imminent.

booooo
Who knows if this will come through, but as reported they do have another AM target.

Canary10
01-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Well, we WILL have some new players tomorrow, so finally a definite thing we can discuss in this thread!

barticusz
01-14-2015, 04:25 PM
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Juventus/13-01-2015/juve-pazzini-milan-fiorentina-gomez-roma-giovinco-destro-100478186107.shtml&prev=search

ag futbol
01-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Who knows if this will come through, but as reported they do have another AM target.
That makes a lot of sense to me. Not doubting the talent level, but gio seems more SS than AM.

bigtfcfan
01-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Altidore is a scrub, he's going to be a big waste of a DP spot. I hope TFC doesn't land him.

kwhisperer
01-14-2015, 05:04 PM

booooo

All of the stories talk about him arriving July 1. So, even if we agree to terms tomorrow, his arrival won't be imminent anyway.

molenshtain
01-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Altidore is a scrub, he's going to be a big waste of a DP spot. I hope TFC doesn't land him.

no. wrong.

Defoe
01-14-2015, 05:35 PM
no. wrong.

Altidore is wroth 3-4 million MAX, yet we're hearing 6 million. You could sign a Piatti, Gilberto, Valeri for a FRACTION. I don't get the obsession for overpaying for marketable names.

barticusz
01-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Altidore is wroth 3-4 million MAX, yet we're hearing 6 million. You could sign a Piatti, Gilberto, Valeri for a FRACTION. I don't get the obsession for overpaying for marketable names.

.......... Seriously? You just answered your own question in that sentence.

You pay more for a player that is marketable because for the average fan who's jersey will you sell? Defoe 18, or Piatti 10 or Gilberto 9????? I think we all know that answer.

Altidore is not nearly as marketable as Defoe in Canada, but he will be in the States. And if he produces at a decent rate I'm sure those jersey's will sell north of the border too.

OgtheDim
01-14-2015, 05:50 PM
I don`t care what his salary is as MLSE has so much this is more a rounding error.

I do care that Altidore`s hold up style of play may not fit in with our current players, who can`t cross a ball worth beans in Libbyland.

barticusz
01-14-2015, 05:51 PM
.......... Seriously? You just answered your own question in that sentence.

You pay more for a player that is marketable because for the average fan who's jersey will you sell? Defoe 18, or Piatti 10 or Gilberto 9????? I think we all know that answer.

Altidore is not nearly as marketable as Defoe in Canada, but he will be in the States. And if he produces at a decent rate I'm sure those jersey's will sell north of the border too.

Further to my last point the number of jersey's sold is not known however the at the midway point last year the top jersey sales were Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Henry, Cahill. Defoe was 7th. It's a little shocking to see Bradley's jersey sold more than Defoe's, and you know that is the American consumer leading that charge. The same will happen with Altidore. He is their first choice striker.

Say they sold 50,000 Altidore Jersey's at $130 a pop. $6,500,000 in sales. Is selling 50,000 jersey's reasonable? I'm not sure to be honest but to me that seems like a conservative number considering how many jersey's would be purchased by TFC fans alone.

Borga
01-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Really? There's 22,000 fans coming out to the park, 17,000 are SSH. Maybe 10% of them would buy a jersey. Maybe 5% of the remaining 5,000. So we're up to 1,950. If you assume that the 5,000 other fans turn over 50% each game for 17 games, that's 42,500 additional fans at 5%, say another 2,200 jerseys, charitably. We're up to 4,150. Are there 50,000 more TFC fans out there willing to drop $130 on a jersey? Let's say 5 of those would buy another 2,500. We're up to 6,650 jerseys.

That's some crazy-ass guessing, but 50,000 seems crazy to me.

barticusz
01-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Really? There's 22,000 fans coming out to the park, 17,000 are SSH. Maybe 10% of them would buy a jersey. Maybe 5% of the remaining 5,000. So we're up to 1,950. If you assume that the 5,000 other fans turn over 50% each game for 17 games, that's 42,500 additional fans at 5%, say another 2,200 jerseys, charitably. We're up to 4,150. Are there 50,000 more TFC fans out there willing to drop $130 on a jersey? Let's say 5 of those would buy another 2,500. We're up to 6,650 jerseys.

That's some crazy-ass guessing, but 50,000 seems crazy to me.

50,000 may be bold sure. But I think 6,650 jersey sales is extremely low. That's just looking at the population that attends the games. There are others who can't but may purchase a jersey. Thierry Henry is a world wide brand, and yet more Bradley Jersey's sold last year... You're grossly underestimating the American market and their demand for USMNT players.

EDIT: I looked up some NHL numbers and I'm way off on my figure. Back in 2006 at least Forsberg jersey's sold 4,100.. You win.

portu
01-14-2015, 06:20 PM
50,000 may be bold sure. But I think 6,650 jersey sales is extremely low. That's just looking at the population that attends the games. There are others who can't but may purchase a jersey. Thierry Henry is a world wide brand, and yet more Bradley Jersey's sold last year... You're grossly underestimating the American market and their demand for USMNT players.

EDIT: I looked up some NHL numbers and I'm way off on my figure. Back in 2006 at least Forsberg jersey's sold 4,100.. You win.

nhl jerseys cost something like $200 though

Super
01-14-2015, 06:56 PM
nhl jerseys cost something like $200 though

About 50 bucks more than my useless Defoe jersey.

Borga
01-14-2015, 07:04 PM
You're grossly underestimating the American market and their demand for USMNT players.

Maybe - but I would think the typical Merkan would buy an Altidore USMNT jersey before disgracing themselves with a team jersey from a foreign country.

This link maybe provides some context - http://www.therichest.com/sports/soccer-sports/top-10-highest-selling-club-soccer-jerseys/?view=all. If AC Milan as a team is doing 350K a year, I have to assume an Altidore TFC jersey would be pretty small.

ag futbol
01-14-2015, 07:21 PM
I'd assume it's not all that great. Former shoe / apparel rep now working in my office (paraphrasing): "in my experience, profitability of soccer in North America is below what you'd expect despite mass popularity, especially in footwear b/c of lack of street wear."

Yohan
01-14-2015, 08:20 PM
David Rowaan‏@soccercanada (https://twitter.com/soccercanada)

Adam Straith's contract demands making it very unlikely that he signs in MLS this winter. Shame really

Follow

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000174163286/5013745c1e4565fbc69ee1a52ac75edc_bigger.jpegDavid Rowaan‏@soccercanada (https://twitter.com/soccercanada)

Told at least two of the Canadian clubs have had contact with him but nothing coming of it so far.

jazzy
01-14-2015, 08:41 PM
yes. If the season started today we'd need to score a lot of goals to make up for our holes in defense. Thank god though that it doesn't, and the league has in fact allocated a certain period of time called the "off-season" after every season in which teams may take time out to effectively scout and get the best deals to shore up the team's perceived weaknesses. It's a novel idea, I know. Yet it's there, and we seem to be putting it to good use for the first time since last year, because of an FO which seems to be getting into groove of careful planning and tight lipidness(not a word but I'll use it here because ya'll know what I mean ). That's crazy and new too, so I can understand why you're struggling to grasp it. It's scary, that competence thing, better men than myself may well have reacted in the same manner as you.

Bez......? You devil :)

flamehawk
01-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Posted this in teh wrong thread just now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Rh...ature=youtu.be (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Rh5JRM5Sk&feature=youtu.be)

Strange, a local Italian-Canadian journalist claims that the agent representing Giovinco had told them that TFC has yet to contact him..

Hieberrr
01-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Posted this in teh wrong thread just now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Rh...ature=youtu.be (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Rh5JRM5Sk&feature=youtu.be)

Strange, a local Italian-Canadian journalist claims that the agent representing Giovinco had told them that TFC has yet to contact him..
Reputable and reliable?

flamehawk
01-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Reputable and reliable?

Anthony Toterra is pretty reliable. Don't know about the other guy, but not sure why he'd lie about this.

ronzilla
01-14-2015, 09:36 PM
It's official. Altidore has signed, although I really want to see Giovinco signed even more.

speckles
01-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Trying to get over Alitidore..I hope everyone realises he has a long way to come back ... he is totally shot in the EPL.. his confidence is so low he can barely trap a ball in action.

Giovinco really interested me however with a fragile Altidore and Gilberto... with limited service... these two will have melted down completely by July. We need this position sorted by start of the season.

OgtheDim
01-14-2015, 09:54 PM
We gotta ship Oduro and Moore and get some cap space to get a couple of decent wingers. Cause right now, the only decent passer into Altidore is Bradley, and maybe Osorio on a good day.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-14-2015, 09:57 PM
We gotta ship Oduro and Moore and get some cap space to get a couple of decent wingers. Cause right now, the only decent passer into Altidore is Bradley, and maybe Osorio on a good day.

we got a ton of allocation money, if anything we need roster room. Ill wait til the CBA is over before i make my judgements (outside of needing CBs and A creative mid badly)

ManUtd4ever
01-14-2015, 09:59 PM
Moore is definitely on the bubble now. No need for Altidore, Dike, and Moore on the same roster. He might have some value in the trade market based on his performance for us last season. Perhaps we could try to add some depth on the backline.

DOMIN8R
01-14-2015, 10:06 PM
It's official. Altidore has signed, although I really want to see Giovinco signed even more.

This just doesn't seem much of a possibility, given his pedigree, age, potential and the Italian view of MLS. Just my 2 cents. I hope that I am wrong.

molenshtain
01-14-2015, 10:17 PM

that's assuming we play with wingers, which I doubt now that we have both gilly and Altidore.

OgtheDim
01-14-2015, 10:31 PM
that's assuming we play with wingers, which I doubt now that we have both gilly and Altidore.

Although I can see that, we still lack people to provide service.

flamehawk
01-14-2015, 11:12 PM
I take it with a grain of salt but:

https://twitter.com/RiverettiSports/status/555541472276008960

CONFIRMADO: Sebastian Giovinco llegara a la MLS con el Toronto FC a final de temporada.

CBTFC
01-14-2015, 11:22 PM
Juan Zuluaga ‏@JuaniZuluaga (https://twitter.com/JuaniZuluaga) 15m15 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JuaniZuluaga/status/555576883837169665)
"CONFIRMADO: Sebastian Giovinco llegara a la MLS con el Toronto FC a final de temporada. " @TheAtomicAnt_98 (https://twitter.com/TheAtomicAnt_98)

mowe
01-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Really hope there's another DP slot coming because I would hate to lose Gilberto before Giovinco gets here (hypothetically of course). Whatever happens I hope he's sold outside the league. I can't take another Laba.

RealG-TFC
01-14-2015, 11:45 PM
Really hope there's another DP slot coming because I would hate to lose Gilberto before Giovinco gets here (hypothetically of course). Whatever happens I hope he's sold outside the league. I can't take another Laba.

Indeed I hope this is the case.

ManUtd4ever
01-14-2015, 11:51 PM
I hope the reports on twitter are accurate...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7WuBmHCIAAtU2P.jpg
(https://twitter.com/RiverettiSports/status/555541472276008960/photo/1)

flamehawk
01-15-2015, 12:04 AM
https://twitter.com/ENBSports/status/555584532070793217

User Actions
Follow

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/462544621545861120/LWBdP08s_bigger.jpegAaron Nielsen‏@ENBSports (https://twitter.com/ENBSports)

Toronto FC reportedly have signed Sebastian Giovinco. His career statistics #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash) #Juventus (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Juventus?src=hash) #SerieA (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SerieA?src=hash)

barticusz
01-15-2015, 12:10 AM
https://twitter.com/ENBSports/status/555584532070793217

User Actions
Follow

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/462544621545861120/LWBdP08s_bigger.jpegAaron Nielsen‏@ENBSports (https://twitter.com/ENBSports)

Toronto FC reportedly have signed Sebastian Giovinco. His career statistics #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash) #Juventus (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Juventus?src=hash) #SerieA (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SerieA?src=hash)

Please tell me this is real.. please, please, please, please.

ManUtd4ever
01-15-2015, 12:11 AM
If we do sign Giovinco, and the new CBA allows a 4th domestic DP slot as expected, our attack could look something like this...

---------Altidore-----Gilberto---------

---------------Giovinco----------------

Jackson-------Bradley---------Oduro

Even without further changes up front, that's pretty damn good.

portu
01-15-2015, 12:13 AM
I still don't understand why Juve feel the need to hold onto a guy who's started two games until july

barticusz
If we do sign Giovinco, and the new CBA allows a 4th domestic DP slot as expected, our attack could look something like this...

I mean that is the best attacking roster ever assembled for this team. By far. Im still holding my breath on Giovinco.. everything i read earlier today pointed to Monaco or Fiorentina.

Milanista
if TFC is offering more than double his current wages, i don't see how he could say no...thats serious $$$ he would never get in italy, he's a good player but not a great one. But he can be a game changer for TFC

Milanista
01-15-2015, 12:15 AM
no way i see this being the line up, too many players that like to play attacking footy...plus i can see us getting rid of some larger contracts like oduro

portu
01-15-2015, 12:18 AM

it'll probably end up as a 4-3-3 with Gilberto on the right, Jackson/Findley on the left, Giovinco and Bradley in the middle and a guy tba holding

mcolvy
01-15-2015, 12:45 AM
it'll probably end up as a 4-3-3 with Gilberto on the right, Jackson/Findley on the left, Giovinco and Bradley in the middle and a guy tba holding

I really don't like Gilberto as a winger. I just don't see it. I know someone on this board mentioned that he has played as a winger before, but it is clearly not his preferred position. We need him being lively in the box, in front of the net. Not out wide trying to create some space and retain the ball.
Gilberto, Findley, Jackson, Lovitz and Oduro isn't really the outside attacking force I would expect for a 4-3-3 system.

portu
01-15-2015, 03:06 AM
I really don't like Gilberto as a winger. I just don't see it. I know someone on this board mentioned that he has played as a winger before, but it is clearly not his preferred position. We need him being lively in the box, in front of the net. Not out wide trying to create some space and retain the ball.
Gilberto, Findley, Jackson, Lovitz and Oduro isn't really the outside attacking force I would expect for a 4-3-3 system.
Could see Gilberto drift inside on the transition or on attack with Giovinco or Bloom moving up to the wing. You see Ronaldo do it at Real all the time.. Starts on the left/right ends up sitting right next to or near Benzema with Marcelo/Carvajal moving up to fill the wing... When Di Maria was there he took up this role most often last season, watch the game winning goal from last years champions league final and you'll see that because ronaldo moved out of position di maria moved to the left wing from which he was the catalyst for the goal

ensco
01-15-2015, 07:33 AM
I haven't seen a single lineup showing Findley. I'd just point out that nobody in this league draws up their roster with reserve strikers making $250K. He is in the starting XI, like it or not.

burlington Red
01-15-2015, 07:37 AM

he has played on the wing before, but the one big season he had in Brazil where he got 14 goals, he played primarily up front on his own with attacking full backs. The problem there is, that is where Altidore prefers to play also. I do think Gilberto could do a job on the wing, but it's not his best position and not what we brought him here for.

TFC Tifoso
01-15-2015, 07:55 AM
I still don't understand why Juve feel the need to hold onto a guy who's started two games until july

for squad depth......doesn't look like Juve will be big buyers in this transfer window, but they're in 3 competitions right now (Serie A, Coppa Italia, Champs League).......and Giovinco can be used pretty much anywhere in the attacking 3rd of the field........also, if I've been following correctly, Gio's contract is up after this season, so TFC may not even be paying any transfer fee???.......if that's the case, there's no reason for Juve to let him go early.......

ag futbol
01-15-2015, 08:40 AM
I haven't seen a single lineup showing Findley. I'd just point out that nobody in this league draws up their roster with reserve strikers making $250K. He is in the starting XI, like it or not.
Maybe the reality of the league post cba? Probably one of the first places they'd add depth.

ag futbol
01-15-2015, 08:43 AM
Yeah I agree. Think people get snowed by him being Brazilian and assume he's got the skills to play all over the park attack-wise.

Moves have to be imminent out wide. They made no secret of the fact they didn't think the play last year was good enough.

flamehawk
01-15-2015, 09:05 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/01/toronto-fc-sign-jay-chapman-homegrown-player-deal

What a relief, Chapman officially signed. I reckon he would've been picked top 10 in the draft had he not signed.

OgtheDim
01-15-2015, 09:09 AM
More pressure on Osorio and Bekker - that's good.

ensco
01-15-2015, 09:15 AM
Maybe the reality of the league post cba? Probably one of the first places they'd add depth.

That could be. I'd guess the average cost of a reserve striker is $150K, so the cap would need to be $4M for that to be the case.

But I think you'd want to see the cap get to $4M before doing this. That is an unlikely outcome imho.

BuSaPuNk
01-15-2015, 09:20 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/01/toronto-fc-sign-jay-chapman-homegrown-player-deal

What a relief, Chapman officially signed. I reckon he would've been picked top 10 in the draft had he not signed.

He would have easily gone in the top 3. Great move to lock him up. Today's lookibg good so far.

Milanista
01-15-2015, 09:21 AM
I still have faith in Osorio as a bench player, but bekker i just dont see him as value. Not a very good player at all IMO

More pressure on Osorio and Bekker - that's good.

Red CB Toronto
01-15-2015, 09:43 AM

especially when his homegrown status at one point was in doubt or at least some confusion existed regarding it. The situation with the Red Bulls where past academy players now in college were challenging their homegrown status with the league.

Initial B
01-15-2015, 09:45 AM
With all the forwards on the payroll, it looks to me like TFC will be playing a 4-3-3, especially if we end up signing a DM with the first superdraft pick.

FRANKIE65
01-15-2015, 09:53 AM
He would have easily gone in the top 3. Great move to lock him up. Today's lookibg good so far.

AGREED! Love the Chapman signing.

Ultra & Proud
01-15-2015, 09:55 AM
With all the forwards on the payroll, it looks to me like TFC will be playing a 4-3-3, especially if we end up signing a DM with the first superdraft pick.
Besler it is then.

Canary10
01-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Anyone else think Jay Hamilton might be the surprise of this team this season?

Milanista
01-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Is there a way we can still keep Gilberto by buying down his contract? I was reading something about this, but MLS is the most confussing league. I think Gilberto can help this team, he just needs more time imo

Milanista
01-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Altidore set to arrive @ 2:45 pm today at Pearson

Detroit_TFC
01-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Is there a way we can still keep Gilberto by buying down his contract? I was reading something about this, but MLS is the most confussing league. I think Gilberto can help this team, he just needs more time imo

TFC has bags of allocation money now but under current roster rules, it would probably not be enough, given that some will be used on other things. Gil is on $1.145M base wage, and the DP threshhold is $387,500, so that would be $757,500 of pay down, or more, depending if it is on base wage or total compensation. Many anticipate that in the new CBA the DP threshhold will increase, perhaps substantially. So, if it goes up to $750,000, probably can cover that. If it goes up to $450,000, that would be difficult. Many also think that a 4th DP will be added but likely with some sort of restrictions that will limit it's flexibility (perhaps domestic only, under a certain salary amount, who knows...).

flamehawk
01-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Besler it is then.

I would go with fatai Alashe. Apparently linked up very well w chapman at Michigan.

gdg_9
01-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Love this...

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1853089756/Newmarket-20120129-00258_bigger.jpgSergio Camargo ‏@sergio10camargo 12m12 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/sergio10camargo/status/555753026670309377)
@jaychappers (https://twitter.com/jaychappers) bless up to de world yuhzeme!! Congrats man, keep it up

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/530212966193713152/pQ2Nc0w8_bigger.jpegJay Chapman‏@jaychappers (https://twitter.com/jaychappers) 12m12 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/jaychappers/status/555753191875563521) Philadelphia, PA (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3Ae4a0d228eb6be76b)
@sergio10camargo (https://twitter.com/sergio10camargo) haha thanks brotha.. Hopefully see you here soon https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f60a.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1853089756/Newmarket-20120129-00258_bigger.jpgSergio Camargo ‏@sergio10camargo (https://twitter.com/sergio10camargo) 11m11 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/sergio10camargo/status/555753272062275585)
@jaychappers (https://twitter.com/jaychappers) that's the plan homie

Great to see these young players striving to one day play for TFC.

barticusz
01-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Love this...

Great to see these young players striving to one day play for TFC.

Boy is that ever nice to see. The opposite of Canadian hockey players who just cannot wait to escape their country and home town teams.

Red CB Toronto
01-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Sergio is another home grown player making his mark in college.

Shway
01-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Boy is that ever nice to see. The opposite of Canadian hockey players who just cannot wait to escape their country and home town teams.

The NHL has probably 100+ Canadian players, the MLS has under 30.

Two uncomparable systems, but that's the beauty of the game of football. You can start as a youth player and progress to the first team playing infront of 20k local fans

jloome
01-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Yeah I agree. Think people get snowed by him being Brazilian and assume he's got the skills to play all over the park attack-wise.

Moves have to be imminent out wide. They made no secret of the fact they didn't think the play last year was good enough.

He played all but one season in Brazil as a wide forward, a winger.And it suits him better than six yards from goal. Look at his skill set.

jloome
01-15-2015, 12:05 PM
especially when his homegrown status at one point was in doubt or at least some confusion existed regarding it. The situation with the Red Bulls where past academy players now in college were challenging their homegrown status with the league.

That's not why. It's because we let him go before he even went to college. Rongen released him from the Academy; I wonder how many others that we thought looked decent might have made it with a better talent evaluator in that job.

pdubs
01-15-2015, 12:05 PM
4-3-3 with Findley - Jozy - Gilberto would be interesting. Gilberto has defensive chops not sure about the other two?

jloome
01-15-2015, 12:08 PM
4-3-3 with Findley - Jozy - Gilberto would be interesting. Gilberto has defensive chops not sure about the other two?

Counterattacking 4-3-3. I know people never like that suggestion, but Jozy scored most of his goals in Holland running the channels with a fast-flowing offence. If we get caught up in possession-style rather than run-and-gun, he loses some of his efficacy.

Defoe
01-15-2015, 01:11 PM
-------------Altidore - Gilberto ---------------
----------------- Giovinco---------------------
------Findley----------------- Winger---------
----------- -------Bradley-------------

A Stick
01-15-2015, 01:52 PM
I can't believe Defoe and I are on the same page today!

Red CB Toronto
01-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Reality is it took a while for the MLS to determine if Jay is homegrown, just look why is Jordan Murreal not homegrown, it's all so strange.

Detroit_TFC
01-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Did anyone remember to pick up Jozy at the airport?

ronzilla
01-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Giovinco started with Juventus and scored a goal in the first 6 minutes. I guess his price just went up. : )

The game is live here http://www.pvrst.com/l3.html

Ageroo
01-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Scored again apparently...price going up

Ageroo
01-15-2015, 03:56 PM
he has arrived....

https://twitter.com/DanRiccio590/status/555829897638457345/photo/1

Ageroo
01-15-2015, 03:57 PM
here we go...TFC tweet,,,

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/555830396932616192/photo/1

reggie
01-15-2015, 04:00 PM
maybe he is catching a connecting flight to nyc....:drinking:

Canary10
01-15-2015, 04:01 PM
He's on his way to the allocation treadmill.

Canary10
01-15-2015, 04:06 PM
The good and the bad of Altidore:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/15/jozy-altidores-european-career-a-badly-advised-confidence-sapping-failure

Defoe
01-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Scored again apparently...price going up

unless we magically already signed GIO, this is horrible news

OgtheDim
01-15-2015, 04:50 PM
Still need a couple of defenders (don't see anybody out of that drafted group starting), some clarity on the wings/sides and an attacking mid.

ag futbol
01-15-2015, 05:03 PM
He played all but one season in Brazil as a wide forward, a winger.And it suits him better than six yards from goal. Look at his skill set.
I don't see it. First touch is inconsistent, link play acceptable for a CF but not a wide player. His bread and butter should be getting in behind a high line and using his combo of strength / speed to cause matchup problems for MLS cbs who usually have one of those attributes but not both.

Unfortunately, we used him like a bruiser (which he is not) and the team didn't focus much on service / quality runs off the ball. Think he's better than his stats suggest, but not ideally used out wide.

jloome
01-15-2015, 05:05 PM
I don't see it. First touch is inconsistent, link play acceptable for a CF but not a wide player. His bread and butter should be getting in behind a high line and using his combo of strength / speed to cause matchup problems for MLS cbs who usually have one of those attributes but not both.

Unfortunately, we used him like a bruiser (which he is not) and the team didn't focus much on service / quality runs off the ball. Think he's better than his stats suggest, but not ideally used out wide.

You said it yourself, first touch is inconsistent, which is the last thing you want for a center forward. He dribbles well, can beat players on the run, has a cannon for a shot. That equates to inverted wing forward for me.

His coaches in Brazil were apparently surprised when we put in a transfer for him because his finishing has been inconsistent over his career; as I said, they moved him to center forward because of injuries and he did well; but even then, half his goals were from long shots or clear headers, not from scoring in and around the six.

flamehawk
01-15-2015, 07:07 PM
A. Totera ‏@4totera (https://twitter.com/4totera) 8m8 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/4totera/status/555876137222430720)
Got word from a source I trust this afternoon Giovinco a real strong possibilty to Toronto it would be awesome for our city of Calcio Fans

jazzy
01-15-2015, 07:26 PM

And you actually think Jackson and Oruro wouldn't screw everything up ?.......nobody would ever receive a pass ! We need heady team players , anyone but those steamrollers .

Defoe
01-15-2015, 08:05 PM
And you actually think Jackson and Oruro wouldn't screw everything up ?.......nobody would ever receive a pass ! We need heady team players , anyone but those steamrollers .

no they would

does anyone know if Findley can still play? He has to be better then Jackson and Oduro, right?

Oranje
01-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Last year it felt like Orduro is where possession went to die. This team is going to plateau until he is moved.

GuelphStorm2007
01-15-2015, 08:25 PM
Well it looks like Altidore will be announced on FRIDAY . and it seems like Giovinco maybe be strong possibility .

Ajax TFC
01-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Even if we don't get Giovinvo, I wont be too worried since it could mean we're still in for Ruiz. Personally, I think Ruiz would be the ideal AM

Areathrasher
01-15-2015, 08:55 PM
Did we all miss this today? Vanney on the record about Giovinco

In addition to the Altidore acquisition, Toronto FC also remain in the market for Juventus forward Sebastian Giovinco. Vanney admitted that the club is highly interested in acquiring the pacey Italian, but has yet to nail down a deal to this point.
“He is one of those outstanding players out there that I think would be amazing for our team and amazing for our Italian community here in Toronto,” Vanney said. “If that’s something that we can actually pursue and get accomplished, that would be fantastic. I don’t know if we’re really close, but I can say he’s obviously a guy that we’re very interested in and hopefully we can see it.

http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/01/garber-forward-altidores.html

GuelphStorm2007
01-15-2015, 09:22 PM
I agree defenders is what we need first and foremost

GuelphStorm2007
01-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Did we all miss this today? Vanney on the record about Giovinco

In addition to the Altidore acquisition, Toronto FC also remain in the market for Juventus forward Sebastian Giovinco. Vanney admitted that the club is highly interested in acquiring the pacey Italian, but has yet to nail down a deal to this point.
“He is one of those outstanding players out there that I think would be amazing for our team and amazing for our Italian community here in Toronto,” Vanney said. “If that’s something that we can actually pursue and get accomplished, that would be fantastic. I don’t know if we’re really close, but I can say he’s obviously a guy that we’re very interested in and hopefully we can see it.

http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/01/garber-forward-altidores.html

Giovinco in a TFC Uniform I am hoping but we will see. But we should be looking at available MLS experienced defenders Now.

GuelphStorm2007
01-15-2015, 09:26 PM
Even if we don't get Giovinvo, I wont be too worried since it could mean we're still in for Ruiz. Personally, I think Ruiz would be the ideal AM

I never really saw a lot of Bryan Ruiz play until this past World Cup and I did like what I saw.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2015, 09:40 PM
Giovinco in a TFC Uniform I am hoping but we will see. But we should be looking at available MLS experienced defenders Now.

We have been tied (in rumors) to a french defender in La Liga, he might work

I never really saw a lot of Bryan Ruiz play until this past World Cup and I did like what I saw.

We are still unsure about Ruiz as I know from being a Werder supporter he has been tied to us forever and im still unsure if hes coming on a free in teh summer or not. Ill definitely let people know one way or the other if anything surfaces on the forums

Hamilton_Red
01-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Altidore scored 4 in 5 games at the U20 World Cup in 2007. Including a goal at BMO.

Also noticed out of curiosity that the USA Uraguay game that the US won..winning goal was by a young Michael Bradley. Scoring for Uraguay...Luis Suarez.

I knew there was a good reason that I spent my soccer budget that year on U20 tickets and not #TFC. That tournament was awesome.

flamehawk
01-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Altidore scored 4 in 5 games at the U20 World Cup in 2007. Including a goal at BMO.

Also noticed out of curiosity that the USA Uraguay game that the US won..winning goal was by a young Michael Bradley. Scoring for Uraguay...Luis Suarez.

I knew there was a good reason that I spent my soccer budget that year on U20 tickets and not #TFC. That tournament was awesome.

I so regret not being able to go to a single U20 game that year (couldn't afford being a student) but I watched almost every game on TV, what a tournament.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-16-2015, 06:49 AM
http://www.ticodeporte.com/ticos-en-el-exterior/ticos-en-el-exterior/bryan-ruiz-ya-negocia-con-el-valencia-de-espana looks like Ruiz is having talks in Spain with Werder still supposedly in the picture

zamperina
01-16-2015, 08:42 AM
FWIW comments from Juve Coach Allegri on Giovinco

The Coach spoke to Rai Sport following tonight’s Coppa Italia Round of 16 triumph in Turin, which saw Giovinco bag a brace.
Has Giovinco scored his last goals for Juve, considering he’ll be out of contract at the end of the season?
“His quality is certainly not a novelty. He hasn’t had much playing time because I have five strikers competing for two places. Over the course of a campaign, the players who need to be ready when called can become fundamental.
“Giovinco has never been on the market. There’s a lot of chatter, but I don’t think he wants to leave.”

Abou Sky
01-16-2015, 10:04 AM

The Coach spoke to Rai Sport following tonight’s Coppa Italia Round of 16 triumph in Turin, which saw Giovinco bag a brace.
Has Giovinco scored his last goals for Juve, considering he’ll be out of contract at the end of the season?
“His quality is certainly not a novelty. He hasn’t had much playing time because I have five strikers competing for two places. Over the course of a campaign, the players who need to be ready when called can become fundamental.
“Giovinco has never been on the market. There’s a lot of chatter, but I don’t think he wants to leave.”

I'm not saying that he either does or does not want to leave, but coaches do seem to be the last to know about these things.

PopePouri
01-16-2015, 10:25 AM

If he didn't want to leave, he would have signed an extension a long time ago.

Milanista
01-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Allegri is a giant donkey, he was a joke at Milan and had no clue what was going on around him. Juve is a great team and they don't really need Giovinco at this time and he won't sign a new deal with them. If TFC offer him a huge contract, not sure how he can say NO to that

ryan
01-16-2015, 10:37 AM
If he didn't want to leave, he would have signed an extension a long time ago.

What else is the manager to say? He has his job to do, the things these guys say in scrums have to be taken with a large grain of salt. They can't just spit the straight truth, ever.

barticusz
01-16-2015, 10:44 AM
What else is the manager to say? He has his job to do, the things these guys say in scrums have to be taken with a large grain of salt. They can't just spit the straight truth, ever.

I just hope we have more than 1 backup CAM. I mean to get Giovinco would be amazing but its likely unrealistic. We need someone in that position.

gdg_9
01-16-2015, 10:55 AM
I just hope we have more than 1 backup CAM. I mean to get Giovinco would be amazing but we likely unrealistic. We need someone in that position.

Well Bryan Ruiz has been mentioned a lot.
He would be a great fit as well.

Cas87
01-16-2015, 10:55 AM
As the team stands now these are the formations I think Vanney will use (in a variety of situations, ie. CDN Champ, International windows, etc.)

(1) 4 -- 1 -- 3 -- 2

Bendik

Morrow ---- Caldwell ---- Hagglund (for now) ---- Bloom

------------------------ Warner -----------------------------

-- Osorio ------------- Bradley ----------------- Oduro/Findley

------------ Gilberto -------------- Altidore ------------------

(2) 4 -- 3 -- 3

Bendik

Osorio ------------- Warner ----------------- Jackson

------- Gilberto ------- Moore -------- Findley ----------

(3) 4 -- 2 -- 3 -- 1

Bendik

--------------- Warner ----------- Bradley------------------

-- Osorio ------------- Findley ----------------- Oduro/Jackson

------------------------ Altidore/Gilberto ----------------------

Shway
01-16-2015, 12:13 PM
^ Osorio is not a winger! And Bradley is not a CAM.
last year we seen how a Bradley and Osorio duo works in the middle. Warner is shit, and needs to only be a back up.

if he is starting next year, were in trouble.

Areathrasher
01-16-2015, 12:19 PM
Mitchell Tierney ‏@mitchrtierney (https://twitter.com/mitchrtierney)33s34 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/mitchrtierney/status/556132210953428992)
Bez confirms Toronto looking an attacking midfielder: "But it doesn't have to be a 10". Could be a winger as well. #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash)

barticusz
01-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Mitchell Tierney ‏@mitchrtierney (https://twitter.com/mitchrtierney)33s34 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/mitchrtierney/status/556132210953428992)
Bez confirms Toronto looking an attacking midfielder: "But it doesn't have to be a 10". Could be a winger as well. #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash)

Confirmed. JUNIOR HOILETT's on his way home! Wait, does home mean England or Jamaica?? who's higher in the rankings right now?

Fort York Redcoat
01-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Confirmed. JUNIOR HOILETT's on his way home! Wait, does home mean England or Jamaica?? who's higher in the rankings right now?

You make this joke on this day? THIS DAY?!?

http://i.imgur.com/dMin28b.jpg?1

Defoe
01-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Just please, please, find a way to find some solid signings that can actually support our DP'S. I would prefer 2 south american talents making 400 k that can play important roles over another DP. You win in this league with 11 players not 3. As of today's date, we aren't better then last years team. Very excited for Altidore but it means nothing if we don't fill out the team.

Fort York Redcoat
01-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Just please, please, find a way to find some solid signings that can actually support our DP'S. I would prefer 2 south american talents making 400 k that can play important roles like over another DP. You win in this league with 11 players not 3. As of today's date, we aren't better then last years team. Very excited for Altidore but it means nothing if we don't fill out the team.

And yet those stars promise an improvement after a rest or training with their old team (Bradley, Gilberto). Knowing how many games were close last year and how many points we missed the playoffs by...also we're not finished acquisitions up top apparently. We will score more goals this year. That should win us more games that should put us closer to playoffs.

Not that this is cake baking step by step easy. We as a club have always found ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but just sayin' we might not be a lock for everything but we look at least as good as last year. Just not on a poster. Or to fb for that matter.

ManUtd4ever
01-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Just please, please, find a way to find some solid signings that can actually support our DP'S. I would prefer 2 south american talents making 400 k that can play important roles over another DP. You win in this league with 11 players not 3. As of today's date, we aren't better then last years team. Very excited for Altidore but it means nothing if we don't fill out the team.

I think we are collectively better.

We have lost Defoe, Henry, DeRo, Wiedeman, and Hall.

So far, we have added established players in Altidore and Findley, and we have added highly touted prospects in Delgado, Chapman, and Bono. Our other draft picks have added depth on the backline.

If we can add a bonafide attacking midfielder and starting calibre central defender, we should be in good shape to start the season.

jloome
01-16-2015, 01:22 PM
I was thinking about the Simonin signing last night. They might have taken a flyer on him because he did well in PDL; but more likely, he's there to make sure the new French defender we're about to sign doesn't get homesick. There's a long tradition in European football of taking on two guys from a foreign country at the same time, so they can adapt more easily.

By taking him first of the defenders, knowing Thomas would still be available two picks later, it adds an air of legitimacy to the pick, even though he's basically Emmanuel Gomez, who Mo signed to keep Sanyang happy because he thought Sanyang was the next Patrick Viera.

I hope I'm wrong and that Simonin is good enough; but he obviously wasn't expecting to be drafted, as he just took a full-time job with an amateur club (it tweeted good luck to him yesterday).

I'm betting Perquis is here by next week, or announced at least. In the meantime, Simonin looks competent enough to not embarrass himself.

Areathrasher
01-16-2015, 01:26 PM
I actually thought of that too. After Defoe arrived Orr and Moore showed up.

You could look at Jackson and Gilberto too.

Cas87
01-16-2015, 01:27 PM
I was thinking about the Simonin signing last night. They might have taken a flyer on him because he did well in PDL; but more likely, he's there to make sure the new French defender we're about to sign doesn't get homesick. There's a long tradition in European football of taking on two guys from a foreign country at the same time, so they can adapt more easily.

By taking him first of the defenders, knowing Thomas would still be available two picks later, it adds an air of legitimacy to the pick, even though he's basically Emmanuel Gomez, who Mo signed to keep Sanyang happy because he thought Sanyang was the next Patrick Viera.

I hope I'm wrong and that Simonin is good enough; but he obviously wasn't expecting to be drafted, as he just took a full-time job with an amateur club (it tweeted good luck to him yesterday).

I'm betting Perquis is here by next week, or announced at least. In the meantime, Simonin looks competent enough to not embarrass himself.

^^^ If Perpuis does come in, I think you'll see Thomas and Simonin playing down with the Deuce (With either one coming up to the 18 man game day roster on a rotating basis as Hagglund will be up all year)

Areathrasher
01-16-2015, 01:27 PM
I actually thought of that too. After Defoe arrived Orr and Moore showed up.

You could look at Jackson and Gilberto too.

That Warren Sharpie is half French too if you want to go all in on that theory

jloome
01-16-2015, 01:31 PM
It's sort of a no-lose, as he apparently did really well for the Sounders u23 team. At 22 he still has time to grow in the game, even if his overall athletic profile isn't one they'd expect to make it. You could have said the same about Jeff Parke when he started out.

Abou Sky
01-16-2015, 01:31 PM
^ Osorio is not a winger! And Bradley is not a CAM.
last year we seen how a Bradley and Osorio duo works in the middle. Warner is shit, and needs to only be a back up.

if he is starting next year, were in trouble.

Warner is not 'shit' he isn't AMAZING, but he is good and can make a great impact off the bench in the 70+ minute bringing fresh legs to defence.

Globetrotter
01-16-2015, 01:41 PM

I'm glad you pointed that out. I was at this game, and definitely remember the US squad... but no idea about Suarez... and he scored a goal in that game. If you hadn't mentioned this I would never have known that I've seen Suarez in a live match.

kwhisperer
01-16-2015, 01:56 PM
I'm glad you pointed that out. I was at this game, and definitely remember the US squad... but no idea about Suarez... and he scored a goal in that game. If you hadn't mentioned this I would never have known that I've seen Suarez in a live match.

Didn't see that game, but went to final/third-place games and got to see Aguero, Di Maria, Maxi Morales, Alexei Sanchez, Arturo Vidal, etc at BMO. Great tournament! Also saw Mexican team with Giovanni Dos Santos playing a warm-up game at the stadium up at Bathurst and Finch. Great tournament!

Milanista
01-16-2015, 02:26 PM
According to Daily Express, Arsenal is interested for Essien.

#**********: Colombos Crew, Portland Timbers and Toronto FC, from MLS, are interested for signing Essien in January.

According to Calciomercato there are offers for Essien from UA (Arab Emirates)

burlington Red
01-16-2015, 03:00 PM
According to Daily Express, Arsenal is interested for Essien.

#**********: Colombos Crew, Portland Timbers and Toronto FC, from MLS, are interested for signing Essien in January.

According to Calciomercato there are offers for Essien from UA (Arab Emirates)

re Arsenal, it's not as crazy as it first sounds, Arteta their holding mid just announced yesterday that he is out for 3 months, could be a stop gap for them. Not so sure how their fans would respond to it though, although I'd say MLS would be to his liking at this stage of his career

ANTZ
01-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Can We The Loyal Fans who purchased bloody big Goof Jersey's get Replacements with ALtidore or player of Choice?? Feel Bad for my Nephew!! (FO)

OgtheDim
01-16-2015, 06:16 PM
So...........how many international spots do we have?

I count 3 ints right now

Caldwell
Gilberto
Jackson

I know for sure Oduro has domestic status. Does Moore?

DeRo Fan #1
01-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Moore is an international.

Issey Nakajima-Farran was just waived by Montréal.
Will TFC take a chance?

BuSaPuNk
01-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Moore is an international.

Issey Nakajima-Farran was just waived by Montréal.
Will TFC take a chance?

After #shouldhavehitthepost I certainly hope not.

barticusz
01-16-2015, 06:38 PM
According to Leiweke, Bradley is putting in some major time trying to help land a big time midfielder. Any chance he' able to convince someone from his former team to come this way?

I remember reading that De Rossi could be on the outs with Roma.. Is Totti ready for a stint abroad?

OgtheDim
01-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Totti ain't leaving Roma. Ever.

Milanista
01-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Please tell me you're joking with this post? Do you have any idea what Totti means to Roma? De Rossi plays the same position Bradley plays and if he was on he market, so many european teams would be lining up for him. Not going to happen. TFC has to go after good players, who aren't stars...Giovinco is the perfect type of player we need to look at

According to Leiweke, Bradley is putting in some major time trying to help land a big time midfielder. Any chance he' able to convince someone from his former team to come this way?

I remember reading that De Rossi could be on the outs with Roma.. Is Totti ready for a stint abroad?

flamehawk
01-16-2015, 06:56 PM
After #shouldhavehitthepost I certainly hope not.

I still don't fault him for being angry and posting that. I know the blame lies with how the league is set up, but still a cold move by TFC. I would love to have him back.

moralis
01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
De Rossi and Bradley are similar players. TFC need an AM/second striker. Giovinco fits that. Just watch his goals at Juve. Including his goal this week in the Copa Italia vs Verona.

I would like to see TFC play in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. With Altidore playing the target forward. As, he did with AZ Alkmaar. TFC also have enough forwards with Findley, Dike and Moore.

If Giovinco comes it will be in July when his contract at Juve ends. If there's no 4th DP it will be between Gilberto or Giovinco. For me it's a no brainer.

Richard
01-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Totti? De Rossi? Giovinco? Balotelli?

Naaaaah.

Lets get Pogba baby, open that vault door right up. g:D

ManUtd4ever
01-16-2015, 07:43 PM
I still don't fault him for being angry and posting that. I know the blame lies with how the league is set up, but still a cold move by TFC. I would love to have him back.

Co-signed, and we could use the depth on the wings.

Gringo Starr
01-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Co-signed, and we could use the depth on the wings.

agree with both of you. The only question I had was if he fit in in the room but on the pitch he was good value

speckles
01-16-2015, 08:19 PM
This Defoe transfer getting us heaps of negative press..not going to help us with our next moves...

"We are in a results-oriented business," said TFC general manager Tim Bezbatchenko when Ryan Nelsen was fired this past campaign.
If that's true, TFC should've been knocked to the ground a long time ago.
Bezbatchenko was hired because of his knowledge of MLS's salary cap - clearly a clever reason to appoint someone to run a soccer team. But, despite his inexperience, he was a vocal critic of how poorly TFC were playing under Nelsen - an accomplished and well-respected figure within the game owing to his fine career in England.
So, making the big decisions at Toronto is a brave boy with an itchy trigger finger. Nothing like another cliche to add to this tedious, torturous, trashy tale."

Eoin O'Cullagtran

GuelphStorm2007
01-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Now that Altidore is signed, Fingers crossed that this will be a good signing . Now we should be looking at a Attacking Midfielder like a Ruiz or Giovinco and decent experienced CB I am sure that there is some available.

ronzilla
01-16-2015, 09:57 PM
After watching this, i'm convinced Giovinco will never sign with TFC. They still see MLS as a retirement league.

http://youtu.be/K4Rh5JRM5Sk

OgtheDim
01-16-2015, 10:34 PM
This Defoe transfer getting us heaps of negative press..not going to help us with our next moves...

"We are in a results-oriented business," said TFC general manager Tim Bezbatchenko when Ryan Nelsen was fired this past campaign.
If that's true, TFC should've been knocked to the ground a long time ago.
Bezbatchenko was hired because of his knowledge of MLS's salary cap - clearly a clever reason to appoint someone to run a soccer team. But, despite his inexperience, he was a vocal critic of how poorly TFC were playing under Nelsen - an accomplished and well-respected figure within the game owing to his fine career in England.
So, making the big decisions at Toronto is a brave boy with an itchy trigger finger. Nothing like another cliche to add to this tedious, torturous, trashy tale."

Eoin O'Cullagtran

Who the hell is this guy that I should care what he thinks? Oh.......he's a guy on Fox Soccer Report. Well, paint me unimpressed that one guy in the States, who isn't even a beat reporter, still seems hurt that Nelsen got fired.

Read his whole article.
Its right out of the comment boards on MLS. The guy is stuck in the narrative that was TFC before MLSE was taken over by Bogers.

He ain't worth worrying about as far as reputation is concerned.

And, to be blunt, negative press? Enough to lose out on future deals? Where? Who the heck is saying that? Ives? Nope. Local beat reporters? Nope. TSN and Sportsnet types? Nope.

Milanista
01-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Money talks and if they offer him a crazy salary, i think he would seriously consider it. Plus those guys talking are nobodies, either way looks like TFC will sign another higher end type player @ AM...Giovinco was always going to be a long shot but u never know

After watching this, i'm convinced Giovinco will never sign with TFC. They still see MLS as a retirement league.

Milanista
01-16-2015, 11:09 PM
i agree, who cares about "negative press". TFC has a sh it ton of money and in the end that signs the best talent. If TFC can do well this season all that negative press will be forgotten

Who the hell is this guy that I should care what he thinks? Oh.......he's a guy on Fox Soccer Report. Well, paint me unimpressed that one guy in the States, who isn't even a beat reporter, still seems hurt that Nelsen got fired.

Read his whole article.
Its right out of the comment boards on MLS. The guy is stuck in the narrative that was TFC before MLSE was taken over by Bogers.

He ain't worth worrying about as far as reputation is concerned.

And, to be blunt, negative press? Enough to lose out on future deals? Where? Who the heck is saying that? Ives? Nope. Local beat reporters? Nope. TSN and Sportsnet types? Nope.

ManUtd4ever
01-17-2015, 12:09 AM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/01/16/mlses-tim-leiweke-vows-tfc-will-continue-to-make-moves?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

MLSE's Tim Leiweke vows TFC will continue to make moves

Toronto FC’s top boss understands this year’s Reds will only be as good as their next move. Let Jozy Altidore’s scaled-down, acutely publicized introduction on Friday afternoon serve as an indicator: Instead of marketing slogans and commercials, the Reds now realize their prized striker is just one piece of the puzzle.

The Reds, according to the club’s head honcho, could be in line for as many as four more crucial moves by month’s end — and at least one of them could be as massive as Friday’s.

“The (MLSE) board has been extremely aggressive in giving us the resources for the next move or two,” MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke told the Toronto Sun by phone on Friday afternoon.

The names of TFC’s targets are out there, with Juventus playmaker Sebastian Giovinco making the most buzz. General manager Tim Bezbatchenko also stated on Friday that the Reds could be in the market for a wide midfielder.

“I’m not going to talk about any names because that would be unfair to the player or the team the player is currently with,” Leiweke told the Sun.

“One of the other lessons we learned last year is that one or two pieces are great, but if the other eight or nine aren’t right, you’re not going to have success.”

In the wake of Jermain Defoe abandoning ship late last year, the Reds are hoping their latest investment pans out like they expected the Englishman to — especially after what they went through to get him. Altidore wouldn’t have touched down in Toronto on Thursday afternoon had a half-dozen things not fallen in TFC’s favour.

“This has probably been the hardest process I’ve been involved with in Major League Soccer,” Leiweke acknowledged. “There were so many moving pieces and we didn’t control all of them.

“The (MLSE) board could have gone another route, a cheaper route. They have doubled down. Just because the Defoe experiment didn’t end the way we wanted it to, the board isn’t going to back down on their commitment.”

The Defoe experiment, however, didn’t come without lessons. False assurances this time last year have made way for more humble player introductions. Compare Altidore’s tame unveiling to last year’s raucous beer bash at Real Sports and it’s clear Toronto FC’s top brass are changing how they do business.

“We learned a lesson last year about expectations,” Leiweke said. “We’re grounded right now and much more focused. We’ve learned so much over the last 365 days. It was an extremely good motivator to get this right.”

Replacing Defoe with Altidore was a crucial first step. But that alone likely won’t be enough. Toronto’s back end remains in desperate need of a new centre back, with Polish international Damien Perquis inching closer to a move to Toronto FC. Leiweke was steadfast in his assessment that the Reds are continuing to pursue a midfielder to complement Michael Bradley in the middle third.

“This has to be about 25 guys,” Leiweke said. “And we have to have depth. We have to have a bench for when guys like Michael and Jozy are away for the Gold Cup.

“We need guys who can step in and play and hold the day. We have to have a starting 11 where all the pieces are filled. We are not there yet. The board has given us the ability to go out and fix that.

“One of those is an attacking midfielder to play along with Michael.”

And to help supply Altidore with the kind of service he was lacking at Sunderland, a dreadful Premier League team where few top-flight strikers have had lasting success. If anything, the 25-year-old’s lack of production in recent years will serve as a motivator at BMO Field. He’s desperate to prove his impressive run in the Netherlands a few years back wasn’t a fluke. He’s desperate to again be a go-to guy with the U.S. national team, where he was once heralded as potentially the best pure striker the U.S. has ever produced.

“One of the people I trust the most is (U.S. head coach) Jurgen Klinsmann,” Leiweke added. “I think he has a pretty good eye for talent. He thinks Jozy is going to tear it up (in MLS). He thinks Jozy is going to get his confidence back here.”

To say the Reds now have something to build around would be an understatement. It’s extremely rare in this league for a franchise to have three Designated Players all in their prime.

“We have a core nucleus of DPs that are young, signed long-term and want to be here,” Leiweke said. “We want to build the team around these core young guys.

“The MLSE board has stepped up here in a big way. They could have taken the money (from the Defoe transfer) instead of getting a player back. But we chose to improve the team. They’ve given us the resources to keep on going.”

Because this club’s ultimate success won’t simply rely on a single signing or two.

BRADLEY KEY TO LURING ALTIDORE

Jozy Altidore wouldn’t be joining Toronto FC had it not been for Michael Bradley. The U.S. internationals have had a connection since the two were teenagers.

“Jozy is here because of Michael, period,” MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke told the Toronto Sun. “This is all about Michael Bradley. He took a leadership role in this conversation from Day 1. He has a huge emotional connection to this team and city. I love the fact that Michael stepped up and helped get this deal done.”

The Sun was the first to learn on Friday that Bradley went so far as to restructure part of his contract to bring his buddy to Toronto.

“I cannot say enough good things about Michael Bradley,” Leiweke added. “He has been the guiding force here. But we’re not done. We’ve still got work to do.”

speckles
01-17-2015, 12:22 AM
i agree, who cares about "negative press". TFC has a sh it ton of money and in the end that signs the best talent. If TFC can do well this season all that negative press will be forgotten

Well they have not paid it for a top striker...time will tell.... traded down....underwhelmed currently.

Initial B
01-17-2015, 12:23 AM
Oh dear. TL saying they have to "get this right" are the exact same words Anselmi used before the great Winter experiment. I guess we're in for another 4 years of disappointment.

Defoe
01-17-2015, 12:41 AM
wow amazing article

“One of the other lessons we learned last year is that one or two pieces are great, but if the other eight or nine aren’t right, you’re not going to have success.”

this is my favourite quote

speckles
01-17-2015, 01:07 AM
wow amazing article

this is my favourite quote

Yeah so much BS all season, management to the last player has being saying they had the players, had the core...we all knew better. Loved the bit about good people had lost their jobs...why was that again lol

speckles
01-17-2015, 01:09 AM
Miss the point, he writes for a number of European papers ..a little reactionary aren't we?

xDerekRx
01-17-2015, 01:32 AM
Totti ain't leaving Roma. Ever.

Most loyal player Ive ever seen in any sport. Id hate to see him come here and tarnish that legacy. On the contrast he is, still at age 38-39, the most fun player for me to watch as far as vision and playmaking go. Its astonishing.

(long time lurker first time poster here btw)

Anyone think Eto'o is a possibility? I saw he was literally being looked at by a NASL team. Hes always been a favorite of mine but he seems to move around alot. Likely the type of player who would bolt after 10-12 games.

OgtheDim
01-17-2015, 07:34 AM
Miss the point, he writes for a number of European papers ..a little reactionary aren't we?

What point?

A) He's a hired columnist mostly seen on Yahoo and other places who buy cheap content

b) There is nobody else saying this cause its the easy narrative

c) well apart from trolls on twitter, facebook and mlssoccer.com comment sections

d) His basic point is TFC need to stick with the same stuff for awhile- and yet he bases his opinion of us not doing so on the firing of a coach who wasn't working and the jettisoning of a striker DP who didn't want to be here after 3 months - he hasn't bothered to look at the continuity from last season to this team so far

e) Heck, our training facilities get us more important rep with players and agents then crud written like this

Meh, any of us can find a columnist who suggests a point. But, his point that TFC are getting hurt reputation wise by this deal is beyond dubious..

OgtheDim
01-17-2015, 07:44 AM
From Larson's article:

We have a core nucleus of DPs that are young, signed long-term and want to be here,” Leiweke said. “We want to build the team around these core young guys.

Gilberto not going anywhere and a 4th DP likely I would say.

Areathrasher
01-17-2015, 10:44 AM
We now have a legit Italian source mentioning us and Giovinco

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/toronto-fc-makes-a-rich-offer-to-giovinco/

ManUtd4ever
01-17-2015, 11:12 AM
We now have a legit Italian source mentioning us and Giovinco

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/toronto-fc-makes-a-rich-offer-to-giovinco/

I don't think there's any doubt that TFC has made a very lucrative offer to Giovinco, probably in the range of 6-7 million per season over 4-5 years. The ball is in his court. He can earn almost triple what he'd likely be offered in Europe if he accepts our offer, and be set for life financially.

Pint
01-17-2015, 11:25 AM
I would imagine it would be a 4-6 year contract so we would be committing between 24-36 million euros.

Going to be a very difficult offer to turn down.

markie8002000
01-17-2015, 11:31 AM
A guy named MLS Transfers on twitter posted this not sure how true it is :

More on Giovinco from a combo of sources: he would be initially offered $35 million over 5 years & a loan option during winter to Europe.

Defoe
01-17-2015, 11:40 AM
I don't think there's any doubt that TFC has made a very lucrative offer to Giovinco, probably in the range of 6-7 million per season over 4-5 years. The ball is in his court. He can earn almost triple what he'd likely be offered in Europe if he accepts our offer, and be set for life financially.

Do you think TFC is profiting or losing money with all this? Are they just using the profit from the Leafs and Raptors?

Super
01-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Do you think TFC is profiting or losing money with all this? Are they just using the profit from the Leafs and Raptors?

I think they see it as an investment to help grow and protect the brand in the city. No doubt they made a lot of money right out of the gate with this team, so I think it only makes sense that they would use some of that money to help out the team. Also, let's say they succeed and we start winning, then they'll likely sell all 30k seats in the stadium. Let's say the average seat in the stadium generates around $500 in a season. That's $500*30k= $15 million. Add to that shirt sponsor deal, stadium naming deal, other advertising, TV revenue, merch, food and drink. Overall I think it's highly possible that this team could generate around $25 million in a successful season. So overall it's not like they're going to lose a ton of money by signing Giovinco to a big contract. All told with 4 DP's we're probably looking at a $20-25 mil salary. On top of that are a ton of other expenses of course, but MLSE can easily afford to lose 5-10 mil in a season - especially if it means TFC will be loved/respected in the city again.

Also, it's not like MLSE is moving funds around from Raptors and the Leafs to help out TFC. The board approves expenses, and the board is made up of Bell+Rogers with billions of dollars behind them. Losing $10 mil on building up the team is fuck all to those guys. As a team we're quite lucky to have wealthy owners. We're kinda like the Man City/Chelsea of England in that sense: virtually unlimited cash backing us.

Still Kicking
01-17-2015, 12:02 PM

I think that TFC was moderately profitable before the Defoe and Bradley signings. I recall a Forbes.com article that speculated that TFC was making 3-5 million profit for MLSE in those days.
Clearly Tim L. convinced MLSE to invest in name players and postpone the small profit style for a larger splash. The strategy seems to be in place for 2015, maybe a larger investment if the Giovinco numbers are to be believed.
Remember Tim L. can point to the Raptors as an indication of what happens in this market when a team improves.
Maybe Tim L. can point to $100 million MLS franchise fees as to the benefit to MLSE of a stronger franchise...
With condos and the BMO field investment I think MLSE financials are a lot more complicated than spending a hockey dollar on a soccer player....

ANTZ
01-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Spoke with some Tfc Sources last week, said the board allowed for more $$ to be spent then last years signings, Altiodre in 1 more big signing to go...

NolbertoS
01-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Haven't posted in awhile, but honestly not really jumping up the Altidore bandwagon. We could've gotten better value somewhere else. Got a question though. Had TFC,sold Defoe last year for a whopping ton of cash, we could've easily afforded Altidore and then some to replace Defoe. TFC is still back to square one and the fan backlash is still the same as it was last season. MLSE really bungled the Defoe transfer. Should've maximized his value, rathet than a straight swap. I honestly don't have much hope this season after being teased last season. Why couldn't the Reds had gone the cheaper route like Vancouver is doing with younger DP's and who knows, might've sold a couple of South American players to Europe if they have a great MLS season.

Defoe
01-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Haven't posted in awhile, but honestly not really jumping up the Altidore bandwagon. We could've gotten better value somewhere else. Got a question though. Had TFC,sold Defoe last year for a whopping ton of cash, we could've easily afforded Altidore and then some to replace Defoe. TFC is still back to square one and the fan backlash is still the same as it was last season. MLSE really bungled the Defoe transfer. Should've maximized his value, rathet than a straight swap. I honestly don't have much hope this season after being teased last season. Why couldn't the Reds had gone the cheaper route like Vancouver is doing with younger DP's and who knows, might've sold a couple of South American players to Europe if they have a great MLS season.

I agree. I personally think it makes more sense to fill out the roster before we make Giovinco a higher paid player then anyone in the entire Serie A league. We saw last season that having guys make 6 million play with a bunch of guys making 60 k is a backwards approach. I would rather 11 players make 400 k play together then this weird approach of 4-5 high end players play with NASL players. 400 k x 11 = 4.4 million. but let's pay 18 million for 4 guys and crap? Ugh makes no sense. I guess we just have to wait until opening day to see the final product. If Warner, Bloom, Jackson are starting that's not a good sign IMO.

TFC/Everton
01-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Interesting part of Kurt's article was that we are planning on making 4 moves before months end.

Giovinco is likely part of that mix and that guy from Real Betis, but who are the other two?

South American winger? European winger? very interesting times at TFC!

I will say, this off season is shaping up to be better than last year's bloody big deal.

Ajax TFC
01-17-2015, 01:42 PM
I would rather 11 players make 400 k play together then this weird approach of 4-5 high end players play with NASL players. 400 k x 11 = 4.4 million.
Repeating this 100x doesn't make it any more possible to do than the first time you brought it up. Yeah, it would be nice if we could have well paid players in all areas of the XI, but the league rules don't allow it. The league rules allow you to spend infinite amounts of money on three players and have them only count around 368k against you, and the rest of the squad's salaries have to add up to around 2.8m. So no, it's not possible to spread the cash around the squad

OgtheDim
01-17-2015, 02:25 PM
On the draft chat, Doyle was speculating that Will Johnson might lose his starting role this year cause of Besler.

Not sure what we have that Porter would want but we could always dream that Oduro + something might pry him loose.

jloome
01-17-2015, 02:35 PM
If they're stupid enough to bench Will Johnson for a rookie who basically plays the same type of game, they deserve to lose him.

gdg_9
01-17-2015, 02:40 PM
On the draft chat, Doyle was speculating that Will Johnson might lose his starting role this year cause of Besler.

Not sure what we have that Porter would want but we could always dream that Oduro + something might pry him loose.

That would be amazing!
Leiweke did say Bradley is helping to recruit more players after he helped get his buddy Jozy here.
Leiweke and Johnson are childhood best friends, so if he is on the move, it's not that far-fetched that he could end up here!

We have trade bait in guys like Oduro, Jackson, Moore, Warner, Dike... even Bekker. Plus apparently a ton of allocation.

molenshtain
01-17-2015, 02:42 PM
If they're stupid enough to bench Will Johnson for a rookie who basically plays the same type of game, they deserve to lose him.

I could see it if Doyle's overall point was that Johnson's form dropped drastically last season and neither he or Chara are particularly great at staying home and shielding the back four, something they seriously missed last season and is supposedly Besler's biggest strength. Even then though, it's a bit of a stretch.

Yohan
01-17-2015, 02:49 PM
WJ is coming off a major injury plus he's got a 300k ish salary

Ajax TFC
01-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Indeed it would be stupid to bench him for a rookie. But if you can get someone cheaper to do the same job as a more expensive player, then you move that player on to free up cap space to use elsewhere. That said, you also don't get rid of Will Johnson in the hopes that a rookie will be able to replace him. Besler would have to play well enough this season to replace WJ, and then they might let him go in the next off season.

TFC07
01-17-2015, 03:03 PM

Will Johnson is close friends with Micheal Bradley, so I could see TFC trying to get Will Johnson (probably have to give up draft pick or allocation money and Hagglund)

EDIT: Nevermind. Johnson contract is huge, but then again, salary cap is going up. So he might be worth the risk.

molenshtain
01-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Will Johnson is close friends with Micheal Bradley, so I could see TFC trying to get Will Johnson (probably have to give up draft pick or allocation money and Hagglund)

trade value is all over the place for domestics. We got Morrow for just allocation last year. His stock was probably higher than Johnson's is now.

Defoe
01-17-2015, 03:06 PM
Indeed it would be stupid to bench him for a rookie. But if you can get someone cheaper to do the same job as a more expensive player, then you move that player on to free up cap space to use elsewhere. That said, you also don't get rid of Will Johnson in the hopes that a rookie will be able to replace him. Besler would have to play well enough this season to replace WJ, and then they might let him go in the next off season.

If they are that stupid I would take him in a second. Johnson would look nice along side Bradley as a defensive holding midfielder in a 3-5-2.

TFC strikers: Altidore, Gilberto, Dike, Moore, Findley, Hamilton

One of Dike/Moore could be on the way out. I'm thinking Moore.

TFC07
01-17-2015, 03:06 PM
trade value is all over the place for domestics. We got Morrow for just allocation last year. His stock was probably higher than Johnson's is now.

This is true. I am going to assume Portland will trade Johnson for cap space especially if there isn't much interest in Johnson. So we might have to give up just a draft pick alone to get him.

Super
01-17-2015, 03:08 PM
I love the 3-5-2 formation, but typically it works best if you have a squad that's been together for a good amount of time. Those 5 guys in the midfield need to cover a lot of ground for it to work as well. But when it works it can be very entertaining to watch.

Hamilton_Red
01-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Would love to see Johnson join TFC if his leg break wasn't too bad? He's a dynamo.

Defoe
01-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Montreal signed Laurent Ciman Belgium International, huge pick up... and exactly what WE needed. Not sure if he will be a DP or not.

Ivy
01-17-2015, 04:16 PM
Montreal signed Laurent Ciman Belgium International, huge pick up... and exactly what WE needed. Not sure if he will be a DP or not.
600k a year. He'll be a DP.

Duffman
01-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Agreed I think they completely butchered the Defoe deal.

With a straight money transfer, we could have done much more than just adding Altidore.

molenshtain
01-17-2015, 04:40 PM

With a straight money transfer, we could have done much more than just adding Altidore.

please, enlighten me with what we could have done.

Super
01-17-2015, 04:41 PM

Not sure what's on the market and available to us right now. We need firepower, and I feel pretty good about Altidore. He may have failed in the Prem, but he was on fire in Holland. I think he'll be very successful in this league, and the partnership he has with Bradley is also important to remember here. Best of all: I don't think he'll up and run like Defoe.

OgtheDim
01-17-2015, 04:42 PM
WJ is coming off a major injury plus he's got a 300k ish salary

The leg break would take him a while. He's 28 in a few weeks - prime age for a midfielder. I would take him at that salary if the cap goes up. Its just speculation of course.

But it would be fun to watch Johnson and Bradley hare after everybody - like battling tops only both on the same side.

Ajax TFC
01-17-2015, 05:35 PM

I'm 95% sure we would have had to sell Defoe for more than we paid for him to get any kind of Allocation money for him. And even then, it would have required a significant profit to get any significant allocation. By getting Altidore, we got a quality striker that's still young but wont be looking to leave for Europe; already knows MLS and all the BS that happens here, so he won't be hit with a reality check regarding the league; and doesn't use an international spot on the roster. With him and Bradley, we have two high caliber players (could be playing in Europe) that we can realistically keep around for 5+ years.

Danny27
01-17-2015, 05:46 PM
A CB and an attacking midfielder seems pretty much guaranteed at this point. As for 4 moves, the only other players we would really need after that is a winger and possibly a defensive midfielder. Personally i'm still confused as to what formation we're going to be playing so it's hard to even pinpoint what we need especially with Gilberto's status up in the air.

GuelphStorm2007
01-17-2015, 05:53 PM

Agents will always deny rumours any way. I am still not convinced that Gio will come here to be Honest.

jabbronies
01-17-2015, 05:55 PM

EDIT: Nevermind. Johnson contract is huge, but then again, salary cap is going up. So he might be worth the risk.

Why is there a growing number of people wanting to get rid of Hagglund? The guy will be an MLS level starter in the next couple of years - this is the kind of player we should be developing - not overpaying or trading for.

jloome
01-17-2015, 06:04 PM
Why is there a growing number of people wanting to get rid of Hagglund? The guy will be an MLS level starter in the next couple of years - this is the kind of player we should be developing - not overpaying or trading for.

Who wants to get rid of Hagglund? Madness.

ManUtd4ever
01-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Hagglund is a future all star in this league. He hit a wall late in the season because he wasn't used to the schedule, but he was remarkably poised for a rookie.

gate7
01-17-2015, 06:35 PM
I agree. I personally think it makes more sense to fill out the roster before we make Giovinco a higher paid player then anyone in the entire Serie A league. We saw last season that having guys make 6 million play with a bunch of guys making 60 k is a backwards approach. I would rather 11 players make 400 k play together then this weird approach of 4-5 high end players play with NASL players. 400 k x 11 = 4.4 million. but let's pay 18 million for 4 guys and crap? Ugh makes no sense. I guess we just have to wait until opening day to see the final product. If Warner, Bloom, Jackson are starting that's not a good sign IMO.

This makes a lot of sense but we established a long time ago that MLSE has more dollars then sense.

Ajax TFC
01-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Hagglund is also one of only two CBs on the squad. There's no way he's going anywhere. Defense is the last position we should be selling from. Also, if Portland trades Johnson, it will be a cap related move. These kinds of moves are almost always for a late draft pick or allocation money. Unless you're trading your unwanted big contracts to TFC. Then you get a first round pick in return...

Detroit_TFC
01-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Molinaro is reporting that deal to get Giovinco is completed. Huge.

More to come.

Areathrasher
01-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Dayum yo

gdg_9
01-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Holy shit!!!
Molinaro saying Giovinco is done deal!
To be announced next week!

@JohnMolinaro: Toronto FC to announce Sebastian Giovinco as its newest player early next week, Sportsnet has learned. Story to follow on Sportsnet.ca #TFC

Detroit_TFC
01-17-2015, 06:59 PM
To me, getting Jozy was a 4/10 (very risky, prob not worth the money), Giovinco is 8/10 (next level for TFC).

Defoe
01-17-2015, 06:59 PM
holy shit!!!
Molinaro saying giovinco is done deal!
To be announced next week!

@johnmolinaro: Toronto fc to announce sebastian giovinco as its newest player early next week, sportsnet has learned. Story to follow on sportsnet.ca #tfc
are you serious?

shwade
01-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Holy
Fucking
Shit
Gawdlt
Damn

shwade
01-17-2015, 07:05 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-toronto-fc-sebastian-giovinco-mls-major-league-soccer-serie-a-juventus/

Soccerpro
01-17-2015, 07:08 PM
I'd bet a few teams will be very interested in Gilberto.

TFC really, really still need help at the back.

Marc"2L"
01-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Wowwie wow wow wow

portu
01-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Holy fucking shit im beyond happy!!! Kudos to bez & co i had my doubts but damn