PDA

View Full Version : No CONCACAF for TFC in 2015

OfficeGuy
10-21-2014, 02:47 PM
If I read this correctly - VWC just took all the glory (if there was any) from this TFC this season with the change in criteria for CCL Qualifying - and THAT is a Bloody Big Deal:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2014/10/20/vancouver-whitecaps-ecstatic-clinch-clubs-first-ccl-berth

Super
10-21-2014, 02:50 PM
I honestly don't know if qualifying to the CCL is a good thing or a curse. I'm leaning towards curse. I don't want us to focus on anything other than making the play-offs.

TFC Kevin
10-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Quite unfair for Edmonton and Ottawa, didn't have a (slim) chance to begin with.

ryan
10-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Playoffs only, or playoffs over everything else, mentality, is dumb to me.

Strive to win it all or what the fuck is your purpose as a club.

FRANKIE65
10-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I'm torn on this one. Would love to see Concacaf matches, but, less matches means more training time/focus on the season. Which HOPEFULLY will be put to use by whomever our coach is next season.

Yohan
10-21-2014, 03:11 PM

because your team is not equipped to win it all. you prioritize the resources you have

Areathrasher
10-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Yea, when we have really good squad depth, i'd love to see another run in the CCL.

I've always wanted to go to a game in the Aztec. Love to go down there for a TFC America game.

Stress
10-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Can someone please clarify what's happening next season? I realize VWFC are in the CCL but are there still voyageur cup games to determine CCL 2016? Or is TFC only playing league games and friendlies next season? If so, will be interesting to see how they factor less games into SSH pricing.

Yohan
10-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Can someone please clarify what's happening next season? I realize VWFC are in the CCL but are there still voyageur cup games to determine CCL 2016? Or is TFC only playing league games and friendlies next season? If so, will be interesting to see how they factor less games into SSH pricing.
There is a V Cup for 2015. It decides 2016 CCL spot.

MartinUtd
10-21-2014, 04:35 PM
While the Caps should gain entry into the CCL, I don't think they should be awarded a cup for this.

Gringo Starr
10-21-2014, 04:41 PM
because your team is not equipped to win it all. you prioritize the resources you have

I get what you are saying but I agree with ryan 100%. I'm tired of this lets make the playoffs ambition. When your goal is to make the playoffs you are simply aiming for mid table it would be far far better to have a win it all outlook, aim for the shield every year, play like every game matters. If we were fighting for first place year in and year out the champions league spot would most likely look after itself as would a playoff spot. Its like a balance beam look at your feet you tend to fall look at the destination and you make it across. If this club cant have a winners mind set and ambition for a change I doubt we will ever get beyond the state we are in. As we were dropping point this year all we heard was its okay we are in a good spot blah blah blah but look what happened. I get that we don't have the right players yet but if they are trying to build a team to squeak in to the playoffs we will never win, if they don't have a win at all cost mantra will they ever get the right squad?

Yohan
10-21-2014, 04:48 PM
I get what you are saying but I agree with ryan 100%. I'm tired of this lets make the playoffs ambition. When your goal is to make the playoffs you are simply aiming for mid table it would be far far better to have a win it all outlook, aim for the shield every year, play like every game matters. If we were fighting for first place year in and year out the champions league spot would most likely look after itself as would a playoff spot. Its like a balance beam look at your feet you tend to fall look at the destination and you make it across. If this club cant have a winners mind set and ambition for a change I doubt we will ever get beyond the state we are in. As we were dropping point this year all we heard was its okay we are in a good spot blah blah blah but look what happened. I get that we don't have the right players yet but if they are trying to build a team to squeak in to the playoffs we will never win, if they don't have a win at all cost mantra will they ever get the right squad?
coaches get fired for not making the playoffs. coaches don't get fired for doing shitty in CCL. that's just the reality of things. CCL is nowhere as important to MAJORITY of fans.

baby steps. playoffs first, then let's see what else TFC can do

Areathrasher
10-21-2014, 04:52 PM
While the Caps should gain entry into the CCL, I don't think they should be awarded a cup for this.

They aren't.

Fort York Redcoat
10-22-2014, 07:42 AM
I honestly don't know if qualifying to the CCL is a good thing or a curse. I'm leaning towards curse. I don't want us to focus on anything other than making the play-offs.

I sung the playoff song for the last few weeks only as it looked as it was a question if we were making it or not and the club promised making them. Now that that promise is broken I can go back to not giving a shit about them and be disappointed we lost the CCL games next year. Next year is about the SS. Hoping for just playoffs is beneath us. Hope for the very best.

TOBOR !
10-22-2014, 09:03 AM
I sung the playoff song for the last few weeks only as it looked as it was a question if we were making it or not and the club promised making them. Now that that promise is broken I can go back to not giving a shit about them and be disappointed we lost the CCL games next year. Next year is about the SS. Hoping for just playoffs is beneath us. Hope for the very best.

Something like this ? :

TFC missed the playoffs again
This is the song that never ends
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue singing it forever just because...

MartinUtd
10-22-2014, 09:03 AM
They aren't.

So the streak is still alive? Is that 100% for sure?

Areathrasher
10-22-2014, 09:08 AM
So the streak is still alive? Is that 100% for sure?

Yes. They have not won the VCup.

Its just because they are changing the dates of the VCup next year so had to change the method of entry to CCL for next year.

TOBOR !
10-22-2014, 12:29 PM
If the method of entry into the CCL is to be the current holder of the V-Cup, then Montreal should represent Canada, as they are the current holders.

I think an error has been made here.

dutch
10-22-2014, 12:58 PM
With the Canadian Championship being pushed back in the soccer calendar until the summer, beginning in 2015, the Canadian Soccer Association changed the qualification criteria into the 2015-16 Champions League for one year only, with the highest-placed MLS side automatically becoming Canada's representative.

wtf is that, for one year only?!?! gifting them a champions chance. they dont deserve it like that, what the hell was the point of those games far and abroad for us than?? makes CSA look bush league, would never fly in spain or england FA

Fort York Redcoat
10-22-2014, 01:20 PM
With the Canadian Championship being pushed back in the soccer calendar until the summer, beginning in 2015, the Canadian Soccer Association changed the qualification criteria into the 2015-16 Champions League for one year only, with the highest-placed MLS side automatically becoming Canada's representative.

wtf is that, for one year only?!?! gifting them a champions chance. they dont deserve it like that, what the hell was the point of those games far and abroad for us than?? makes CSA look bush league, would never fly in spain or england FA

Pretty sure those competitions sited are older and have their own leagues. This is to sync up with the competitions we play in. Now going forward they never have to do this again. This has been known for quite some time.

PAOK17
10-22-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm not quite sure why there is so much confusion. If anything, we have conformed to how the rest of the leagues that operate in the summer decide their representatives for continental competition. The Danish Champion awarded in late fall of 2015 plays in Champions' League starting in September of 2016. Because the Voyageurs Cup is played in the spring and is a short competition, we have been getting away with cramming it in a few months before the actual competition- but this isn't how summer league nations do it.

Now the Voyageurs Cup won't be rushed and can be spread out throughout the entire summer.

Since the 2014 Champion played in the 2014-2015 Champions' League and the 2015 Champion plays in the 2016-2017 Champions' League, something had to be done for the 2015-2016 season. Other options were probably flipping a coin...and I guess making Montreal the representative since they would still be the holders.

Qman
10-23-2014, 12:55 AM
vancouver doesn't even care about the champions league. they have already said the are going to use it to give reserves playing time.