AR1: Gregory Barkey
AR2: Gianni Facchini
4TH: Geoff Gamble

jloome
10-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Wholly Toledo.

jloome
10-16-2014, 11:13 AM
This is DiVaio's second-to-last game, so he'll be pumped to score. Montreal's been much improved lately. Fingers crossed.

Initial B
10-16-2014, 11:42 AM
No Hagglund, Caldwell has lost a step, the Strikers are MIA, and most of the team lacks drive. Montreal wants nothing more than to eliminate TFC in their own house for maximum embarassment. I forsee 2-1 for Montreal and the nightmare will be complete.

If TFC loses by more than that, then it shows that they have no spine and I won't be following TFC for a while. Remember, we need to see the banner "Playoffs... Write it down" - LIEweke in the stands this weekend. I want to see TL pull a Grunwald after the game and personally apologize to the fans. Some humble pie would do him good.

Derko
10-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Actually I thought Toledo did a pretty good job in LA

CommradePolski
10-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Henry gives up a PK. Write it down.

OgtheDim
10-17-2014, 06:07 AM
Weather supposed to be cloudy with the rain having stopped. Windy from the north and about 10 degrees.

Graeme
10-17-2014, 06:52 AM
-----------------Bendik--------------------
--Bloom---Caldwell--Henry---Morrow---
----------------Bekker------------------
---------------------------------------------

ensco
10-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Leiweke's stupid guarantee shouldn't be held against the players. He was an asshole for doing that.

TFC Tifoso
10-17-2014, 07:04 AM
why put Bekker, who's apparently more skilled in the offensive part of the game - I say apparently because its still a mystery as to what he's actually skilled at, unless the 5 yard lateral pass counts as something - and avoids tackles like the plague, in the DM role?......the Impact will have their way all day with him there......if they MUST play Bekker, he should be in an AM role or paired in the middle with Bradley......or it would be preferable to see him in his best position, Left Bench.......

FRANKIE65
10-17-2014, 07:06 AM
Leiweke's stupid guarantee shouldn't be held against the players. He was an asshole for doing that.

Agreed, way too many variables in sports...nothing is a guarantee. Injuries, coaching, player commitment (or lack thereof), officiating...etc, etc. Yeah, on paper we should make it in (notice I didn't say should have....still that 1 % chance) on paper, and, on the pitch are two totally different things.

FRANKIE65
10-17-2014, 07:08 AM
why put Bekker, who's apparently more skilled in the offensive part of the game - I say apparently because its still a mystery as to what he's actually skilled at, unless the 5 yard lateral pass counts as something - and avoids tackles like the plague, in the DM role?......the Impact will have their way all day with him there......if they MUST play Bekker, he should be in an AM role or paired in the middle with Bradley......or it would be preferable to see him in his best position, Left Bench.......

Yeah, unfortunately, no Bradley this game which definitely cuts down on the options at mid.

OgtheDim
10-17-2014, 07:17 AM
There's a huge gap between the Impact forwards and their midfield.

There's also a huge gap in front of their defence. Run at them and they panic.

If we were able to play a 4-1-3-2 or a 4-3-3, we'd win easily.

Instead, we will get Moore and Defoe.

Oduro is going to score, just to make the powers that be think.

Eastend
10-17-2014, 07:27 AM
MTL has an important CCL game on Wednesday for seeding. I'm sure they'll be up for this game but I really don't think it will be their priority. I don't know what to expect from our guys, I really don't. I do hope Gilberto starts up front as he is the 1 DP striker that wants to be here and appears to love this team. No need to waste playing time on payers that don't want to be here and give half asked efforts.

Dom

Oldtimer
10-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Actually I thought Toledo did a pretty good job in LA

Wasn't he the 4th official?

burlington Red
10-17-2014, 08:11 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, no Bradley this game which definitely cuts down on the options at mid.

Be interesting with him missing. There's a tendacy in last few games that ball automatically goes to him in our defensive third and he launches a long ball either down middle or to wings, of which the majority not all, go straight out of play or to the other team. We might have to be a bit more creative as we won't have that forceful presence in midfield who we automatically go to everytime.

Graeme
10-17-2014, 08:56 AM
-----------------Bendik--------------------
--Bloom---Caldwell--Henry---Morrow---
----------------Bekker------------------
---------------------------------------------

To be clear, Vanney's love for Bekker is inexplicable to me and I didn't have the heart to continue the line-up.

I would rather see:

--Oduro---Osorio---Warner---Jackson---
-----------Gilberto---Defoe---------------

Or even:
---Moore---Warner---Osorio----
--Oduro---Defoe----Gilberto----

ag futbol
10-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Not a great matchup right now. They are much improved squad of late.

It will be a battle.

Yohan
10-17-2014, 10:17 AM
MTL has an important CCL game on Wednesday for seeding. I'm sure they'll be up for this game but I really don't think it will be their priority. I don't know what to expect from our guys, I really don't. I do hope Gilberto starts up front as he is the 1 DP striker that wants to be here and appears to love this team. No need to waste playing time on payers that don't want to be here and give half asked efforts.

Dom
Mtl already made the CCL knockout round. They will be playing for a higher seed for knockout round though.

Montreal has been playing better, and di Vaio if he plays wants to go out with a bang, but their defence is still soft.

Areathrasher
10-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Nick Sabetti ‏@nicksabetti (https://twitter.com/nicksabetti) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/nicksabetti/status/523132399194894338)
Worth noting that Montreal has never won at BMO Field and has yet to win on the road this season. #IMFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/IMFC?src=hash) #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash)

So thats a MTL win then LOL

TFC07
10-17-2014, 10:27 AM
I hope Vanney doesn't play Defoe this game. He isn't coming back, so there's no need for him to play over Gilberto.

FRANKIE65
10-17-2014, 10:37 AM
I hope Vanney doesn't play Defoe this game. He isn't coming back, so there's no need for him to play over Gilberto.

More than likely too much pressure "from above" to let him get away with that. I'd love to see Gilberto start, bring Defoe on as a sub later in the game...if at all.

Oldtimer
10-17-2014, 11:01 AM
TFC just posted on their FB page:

Jermain Defoe will not play vs. Montreal after aggravating his groin injury.

I think Defoe is finished with TFC. I expect Gilberto to start.

UPDATE: Duane tweeting that Gilberto is out (I wonder if it's true?). Maybe we'll see DeRo and the Weidman start.

ag futbol
10-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Mtl already made the CCL knockout round. They will be playing for a higher seed for knockout round though.

Montreal has been playing better, and di Vaio if he plays wants to go out with a bang, but their defence is still soft.
Really it's all about piatti, he's singled handledly changed the team. They are getting better midfield cover out of GLP and Mallace was well.

Di Viao now has several people who can get him the ball, as opposed to just Mapp who couldn't do it all himself and Felipe who is brutally inconsistent.

FRANKIE65
10-17-2014, 11:04 AM
TFC just posted on their FB page:

I think Defoe is finished with TFC. I expect Gilberto to start.

Isn't that convenient. Should have just stayed in England. Makes things much easier for Vanney.

OgtheDim
10-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 13s14 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/523150694220853248) .@vaxgob (https://twitter.com/vaxgob) @OgtheDim (https://twitter.com/OgtheDim) @JoshYunhoLo (https://twitter.com/JoshYunhoLo) He's starting tomorrow

That would be Gilberto.

Looking forward to seeing that smiling mug running all over the pitch.

FRANKIE65
10-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN)13s14 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/523150694220853248) .@vaxgob (https://twitter.com/vaxgob) @OgtheDim (https://twitter.com/OgtheDim) @JoshYunhoLo (https://twitter.com/JoshYunhoLo) He's starting tomorrow

That would be Gilberto.

Looking forward to seeing that smiling mug running all over the pitch.

That's better! You know he will be happier without Defoe there. Hope to see him score a couple "up close and personal, in 132f" in the second half!!

TFC Tifoso
10-17-2014, 12:34 PM

ah right....forgot about that.....

To be clear, Vanney's love for Bekker is inexplicable to me and I didn't have the heart to continue the line-up.

I would rather see:

--Oduro---Osorio---Warner---Jackson---
-----------Gilberto---Defoe---------------

Or even:
---Moore---Warner---Osorio----
--Oduro---Defoe----Gilberto----

ah ok lol....fair enough then.....

jloome
10-17-2014, 01:03 PM
I think we should try Gilberto in the hole, play a diamond, and put Oduro and Moore up top together. Moore is a good second striker/provider who has put some really incisive passes through; Oduro is fast, and Montreal isn't. Gilberto is better running into space; if we put him between the backline and midfield he'll cause havoc. Play Osorio and Jackson as the wide mid options (one can get the ball to the offensive players with a good pass, the other with a good run), Warner as the wrecker, have the non overlapping fullback sit back.

---------------Bendik---------------
Creavalle--Caldwell--Hagglund--Morrow
------------Warner-------------
----Jackson--------Osorio------
-----------Gilberto-------------
-----Oduro--------Moore

If Jackson or Oduro are playing like idiots (every other game) we bring in DeRo in the second half. If Moore is being muscled off, we can give Dike some time up top, or Wiedeman (who has put on a ton of muscle this year.)

FRANKIE65
10-17-2014, 01:14 PM
I think we should try Gilberto in the hole, play a diamond, and put Oduro and Moore up top together. Moore is a good second striker/provider who has put some really incisive passes through; Oduro is fast, and Montreal isn't. Gilberto is better running into space; if we put him between the backline and midfield he'll cause havoc. Play Osorio and Jackson as the wide mid options (one can get the ball to the offensive players with a good pass, the other with a good run), Warner as the wrecker, have the non overlapping fullback sit back.

---------------Bendik---------------
Creavalle--Caldwell--Hagglund--Morrow
------------Warner-------------
----Jackson--------Osorio------
-----------Gilberto-------------
-----Oduro--------Moore

If Jackson or Oduro are playing like idiots (every other game) we bring in DeRo in the second half. If Moore is being muscled off, we can give Dike some time up top, or Wiedeman (who has put on a ton of muscle this year.)

Hagglund is out with a red...but, that diamond would be interesting.

lanarkist
10-17-2014, 01:18 PM
----------------Bendik-------------
--Creavalle--Caldwell--Henry--Morrow--
--------------Warner----------------
---Oduro--------------Derosario-----
-------------Osorio------------------
------Gilberto-----Moore--------

Would love to see Derosario get the start in what could very well be his last MLS game IMO.

FRANKIE65
10-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Just took a quick look on Kijiiji, out of curiousity since I already have tickets, looks like there are going to be a crap load of empty seats again. Unless people start snapping up the "fire sale" prices that will happen in the next,less than, 24 hours.

FRANKIE65
10-17-2014, 01:24 PM
----------------Bendik-------------
--Creavalle--Caldwell--Henry--Morrow--
--------------Warner----------------
---Oduro--------------Derosario-----
-------------Osorio------------------
------Gilberto-----Moore--------

Would love to see Derosario get the start in what could very well be his last MLS game IMO.

Would be a classy move, even though he is probably more effective coming off the bench with the "older" fresh legs. Either way, get him in there for sure!!

Ruffian
10-17-2014, 01:26 PM

Looking at Toronto FC Wikipedia article it shows De Rosario as having 97 appearances and Stephan Frei as having 99. If he gets the start today and the next game he will tie Frei for most appearances. DeRo has had more of an impact than Frei had in a TFC jersey.

TFC07
10-17-2014, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see DeRo back next season. Even though he's old, but he does a good job keeping in shape to play.

OgtheDim
10-17-2014, 03:21 PM
8,000 TFC and Kia toques will be distributed upon entrance to our supporters so be sure to get there early.

Toques...

Oldtimer
10-17-2014, 03:42 PM
If there are 8,000 toques, then probably everyone who attends will get one, no need to arrive early.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-17-2014, 04:15 PM
If there are 8,000 toques, then probably everyone who attends will get one, no need to arrive early.

Probably be leftovers

jloome
10-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Wow, rookie PR gaffe. Never give reporters a comparative number. Now I guarantee you there'll be at least one story after the game on whether they were all given out or whether there were leftovers, comparing it with the attendance.

Dave67
10-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Wow, rookie PR gaffe. Never give reporters a comparative number. Now I guarantee you there'll be at least one story after the game on whether they were all given out or whether there were leftovers, comparing it with the attendance.

Is it? Don't sports teams typically give out the number of promotional items available before the game? In theory to get you in the gate early, although it won't work tomorrow. I'm thinking mainly of Bills games I go to. They always give the exact number of promotional items out before the game. I'm pretty sure the Jays give the numbers out too.

jloome
10-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Is it? Don't sports teams typically give out the number of promotional items available before the game? In theory to get you in the gate early, although it won't work tomorrow. I'm thinking mainly of Bills games I go to. They always give the exact number of promotional items out before the game. I'm pretty sure the Jays give the numbers out too.

It's a question of timing; those teams aren't going to have a more than half-empty stadium on the day they do it.

Eastend
10-17-2014, 07:56 PM
If I recall, they always mention how many items will be given out on our way in.

Ajax TFC
10-17-2014, 10:07 PM
You're giving Toronto media too much credit here

Kayaker
10-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Looks like Piatti will not be playing and Di Vaio will be off the bench.....

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jata/status/523287200583385088

__wowza
10-17-2014, 10:27 PM
according to the TFC website, defoe's out for tomorrows match.
http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/10/17/greg-vanney-october-17-2014
and here we have to put a lock on him during the expansion draft or risk losing the 10M that we're going to transfer him for. fuck me, what a mess.

Leedsoronto
10-17-2014, 10:49 PM
How many Montreal fans will want a hat? That's 1700 spare

sashavukelich
10-17-2014, 11:36 PM
according to the TFC website, defoe's out for tomorrows match.
http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/10/17/greg-vanney-october-17-2014
and here we have to put a lock on him during the expansion draft or risk losing the 10M that we're going to transfer him for. fuck me, what a mess.

I don't believe DP's have to be protected under the expansion draft rules.

Initial B
10-18-2014, 12:36 AM
Why do I have a bad feeling that TFC is going to absolutely crater in this game? The news of transfers and trades the day before the game can't be good for morale. Good thing that the "All for One" series is over. I can't see how a team disintegration can be spun positively.

Eastend
10-18-2014, 07:07 AM
I don't believe DP's have to be protected under the expansion draft rules.

They don't. De Guzman went unprotected 2 years in a row......but potentially losing the transfer fee will force TFC's hand.

Auzzy
10-18-2014, 07:11 AM
DPs don't have to be protected unless they have a no-trade clause. However the previous poster thought, one of the new teams may want to snap him up, just to cash in on any transfer fee when Defoe goes back to the UK. So we would have to protect a player who's leaving anyway.

JDG wasn't protected because nobody wanted him anyway, his salary was way too high relative to his value, and TFC would have been happy if someone had taken him off our hands.

David_Oliveira
10-18-2014, 10:27 AM
At Steamwhistle with 3 tfc fans and about 100 UM02s

Mark TFC
10-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Come on you Reds! Fuck the Limp Act!

Leedsoronto
10-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Limp act in 226, 227, section 127 should have fun

0bl1vious
10-18-2014, 01:08 PM
VLC Stream

http://nlds43.cdnak.neulion.com/nlds/mls/torontofc/as/live/torontofc_hd_4500.m3u8

mowe
10-18-2014, 01:21 PM
All I can think of when looking at that East stand is Bring on a second deck!

mowe
10-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Nicely placed shot by Creavalle. TFC up a goal.

v00d00daddy
10-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Love that crevalle! Lovely finish.

pdubs
10-18-2014, 01:43 PM
how we playing? just got back from commitments this morning. I see we are up a goal? settling in now...

pdubs
10-18-2014, 01:48 PM
maybe im bad luck LOL

Yohan
10-18-2014, 01:51 PM
it was matter of time the lack of defensive intensity was going to cost TFC. both teams not very good at defending this game

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 01:51 PM
I love all this DUMB analysis, without mentioning that we were effectively playing a man down, with Moore ridiculously not making sure he was on the pitch, if he goes down injured.

SKB
10-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Very nice goal from Cravelle but we are getting killed in the centre midfield. Both Osorio and Webster are losing the one on one battles. Getting pushed of the ball too easily. Very unimpressed with Moore he is either slow or lazy. Fustrated that Vanney has not adjusted tactics to manage the centre midfield issue. He has moved the team to press higher up the field and back 4 drops too deep to open up space. That is why we are giving up more goals under Vanney. Ryan had the midfield back further and we were more compressed at the back.

pdubs
10-18-2014, 02:23 PM
come on dero get us the W

pdubs
10-18-2014, 02:24 PM
guys ok ok... we need 2 center backs

mowe
10-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Kristian Jack ripping TFC's 442. Getting run over by Montreal.

Hamilton_Red
10-18-2014, 02:30 PM
geez...to think that we are technically still in the play-off hunt!

We are getting dominated by the last place team...that has nothing to play for. We are substantially the weakest MLS franchise in Canada.

shwade
10-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Bekker's coming in, our saviour! Because no one has more urgency than bekker.

pdubs
10-18-2014, 02:33 PM
our passing is just brutal in transition. from time to time we have good link play but the transition play is bruuuuutal.

pdubs
10-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Bekker's coming in, our saviour! Because no one has more urgency than bekker.

he has the correct hair gel in today relax! ahah

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 02:42 PM
You know.. I'm just SO glad that we're going backwards, at every opportunity; ends with Bendik kicking the ball out for a Montréal throw. Jesus dick.

notthesun
10-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Bloom has been awful.

Also, 3 page thread 75 minutes into a must-win game? Don't know if that's lack of interest or most people have given up on our chances already... probably both.

shwade
10-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Why is Moore such a primadonna...he's lazy and barely noticeable when he's playing.

Hamilton_Red
10-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Yep - fans have given up. Argos will love their new stadium!

mowe
10-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Straight red? LOL. Toledo is clueless.

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Let's fucking GO!

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Straight red? LOL. Toledo is clueless.
We've seen our share -- the season is ending, before our eyes! Who gives a FUCK?!

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Bloom has been awful.

Also, 3 page thread 75 minutes into a must-win game? Don't know if that's lack of interest or most people have given up on our chances already... probably both.

Yep - fans have given up. Argos will love their new stadium!
Think it has more to do with those fortunate enough being at the stadium.

v00d00daddy
10-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Only thing I like about oduro.....his idiotic embellishment and diving has made it so we can never whine about it again. Lol

Toledo helping us? Well that's new lol

notthesun
10-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Oh DeRo why are you so old

v00d00daddy
10-18-2014, 02:54 PM
If I was an impact player I might injure Jackson. He deserves it

ag futbol
10-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Any chance this team had of having balanced midfield play died when the roster was formed. And it died 10x over again when we tried to address it with Colin Warner.

We need one high quality, pure defensive mid, and another reasonable quality backup when he is inevitably out with yellow cards, injuries, etc...

If we don't address this, no point having any hope next year.

v00d00daddy
10-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Anyways. Looked decent in first half. Since then we've shown we belong with Montreal.

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Only thing I like about oduro.....his idiotic embellishment and diving has made it so we can never whine about it again. Lol

Toledo helping us? Well that's new lol

If I was an impact player I might injure Jackson. He deserves it
This is amazing.

mowe
10-18-2014, 03:00 PM
What the fuck is going on.

v00d00daddy
10-18-2014, 03:01 PM
We are a shame. Dero should be off too

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 03:01 PM
B'hahaahahahaa I s ANYONE surprised?!

pdubs
10-18-2014, 03:02 PM
haha mai gawd i mean mai gawd

mowe
Ah TFC.

Fitting way to end another classic season.

Hamilton_Red
Chaos....still love Dero!

Hamilton_Red
10-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Bekker can get to fuck...that was shocking,

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Hilarious. Toledo dishes a card, after not allowing a DEADLY advantage, in their third. A WHOLE HOST of time-wasting ensues, and he adds NOTHING, after the kick is taken.

This guy is about the biggest fuck boy I've ever seen.

v00d00daddy
10-18-2014, 03:04 PM
This is amazing.

I've been here long before day one with this club....and I'm totally entitled to being angry. Cheer all you want. I genuinely hope it makes you happy.

We we shouldn't let tfc make us upset at each other.

cheers

Oldtimer
10-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Toledo beat all expectations and far exceeded his usual card count. He was the star of the show. TFC? Not so much.

jloome
10-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Fitting. We don't have the caliber of player on the field to go two versus three in the midfield and it showed. We didn't adjust, but that's because tactically we've rarely played that way; you can't adjust to a tactic you haven't practiced or played.

A lousy performance to cap a lousy season.

Bring on the three months of doubt and shame, followed by draft day.

notthesun
10-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Bendik is a hero for picking up Felipe. That was so awesome, love it. That clown deserved it.

End of the match was hilarious. Anyways there's no way we would've beat New England in the final game so who cares.

Gilberto was great again. Please keep him.

Please don't blow up the team this off-season.

jloome
10-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Bendik is a hero for picking up Felipe. That was so awesome, love it. That clown deserved it.

End of the match was hilarious. Anyways there's no way we would've beat New England in the final game so who cares.

Yeah, Bendik is a good egg.

SoccMan2
10-18-2014, 03:12 PM
8 seasons and counting un fucken believable

ensco
10-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Gilberto was great again.

No. He looked great, as he generally does. But he missed at least two sitters. As he generally does.

adam1001
10-18-2014, 03:17 PM
We are not good enough for the playoffs. It's as simple as that.
The silver lining of this game is Bendik picking up Felipe. That was epic!

mw83krk
10-18-2014, 03:18 PM
probably the most disappointing end to a season in the past 8 years -- considering all the hype going into it. The fact that the tickets today were all but sold out and yet so few actually showed up is telling as well.

oh well, on course being an ML$E team.

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 03:19 PM
I've been here long before day one with this club....and I'm totally entitled to being angry. Cheer all you want. I genuinely hope it makes you happy.

We we shouldn't let tfc make us upset at each other.

cheers
Sadly, you're right, and make a valid point, regarding us not allowing TFC to see us turn on each other.

That said, I think it's one thing to be angry, as you say you are, but, if I'm honest, I genuinely feel as if you're not often seen during the glorious points in the season -- the epic comebacks and the like -- only to resurface to call for bookings against our boys, or calling them "assholes," etc. I look at the comment you made about being happy for how Oduro's alleged embelishing should shut us up, and I see that as an indirect swipe.. only for you to play all righteous, when someone slightly reacts to it.

Hey, man.. I don't mean to single you out, here, but, for me, it's a clear double-standard. At the end of the day, it's pro sports -- you're not supposed to be all diplomatic and composed about how you support the lads.

azorean
10-18-2014, 03:19 PM
No. He looked great, as he generally does. But he missed at least two sitters. As he generally does.

Ensco, usually agree with you but not on this.He was the only decent player we had out there. Some great plays, hustle. Yeah he missed a couple of chances but created a couple of others from nothing. He is the least of our problems as far as I'm concerned.With some better players around him i am convinced the guy will come good.

Richard
10-18-2014, 03:21 PM
The silver lining of this game is Bendik picking up Felipe. That was epic!

I didn't catch the game, what was this about?

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 03:23 PM
I honestly feel like it's views like this, ignoring plenty of context, that have seen us ship out players of real/decent quality.

To be fair, you're not calling for him to be moved, but, alone, your comment seems to suggest that, all things equal, that's just his quality.. which is unfair.

Ensco, usually agree with you but not on this.He was the only decent player we had out there. Some great plays, hustle. Yeah he missed a couple of chances but created a couple of others from nothing. He is the least of our problems as far as I'm concerned.With some better players around him i am convinced the guy will come good.
This.

ag futbol
10-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I have to say for a DP striker he still leaves a lot to be desired. Effort is great, but playing up top is a results business and his season has been an inconsistent one. He has duffed some absolute sitters on occasion.

Is he providing enough? Hard to tell given the overall mixture of players on the field, but I'd have a hard time looking at Gilberto and saying we're getting as much out of him as say Dallas is getting out of Blaz Perez or whatever other comparison you'd want to make. Heck, let's make the obvious one: Urruti. Nelsen should be backhanded for letting go of someone with that sort of finishing ability for a more-expensive, less effecive, player.

adam1001
10-18-2014, 03:25 PM
I didn't catch the game, what was this about?
Felipe was on the ground holding his ankle and wasting time. Bendik comes out of nowhere, physically picks him up and places him outside the touchline to get the game going again haha

ensco
10-18-2014, 03:27 PM

I don't know if we should move him or not. He's a good player, but not great, and he's been a bust in the context of what he gets paid.

There are internationals who have come on like gangbusters in their second season, but usually they have Thierry Henry playing AM behind them.

OgtheDim
10-18-2014, 03:28 PM
So what did Osorio do to get that red? Couldn't see it from 221.

Couchy81
Felipe was on the ground holding his ankle and wasting time. Bendik comes out of nowhere, physically picks him up and places him outside the touchline to get the game going again haha

Like a babe in arms.

That was my play of the game, after Creavalle's goal

gracos
Toronto FC continue their perfect streak of missing out on the playoffs; we really should of fielded the best team in Canadian Championship instead of playing for a spot outside of the playoffs would of meant something

Couchy81
10-18-2014, 03:29 PM
So what did Osorio do to get that red? Couldn't see it from 221.

Stomped on his foot when the ball wasn't in the area.

azorean
Yeah, I have to say for a DP striker he still leaves a lot to be desired. Effort is great, but playing up top is a results business and his season has been an inconsistent one. He has duffed some absolute sitters on occasion.

Is he providing enough? Hard to tell given the overall mixture of players on the field, but I'd have a hard time looking at Gilberto and saying we're getting as much out of him as say Dallas is getting out of Blaz Perez or whatever other comparison you'd want to make. Heck, let's make the obvious one: Urruti. Nelsen should be backhanded for letting go of someone with that sort of finishing ability for a more-expensive, less effecive, player.

I'd still take Gilberto over Perez and Urruti without hesitation.

JuliquE

This is somewhat fair, but then you have to put into context the overall characteristics behind the two sides (Dallas vs. TFC). Gilberto, despite being a DP, is the last place I would look to correct the issues with this team, and he's just about as cheap as they come, anyway (DP's).

Waggy

He is who he is, he played well. His job is to create chances. If he can finish 1 in 3 or 4 that's more than good enough, especially if there's any sort of decent team around him that can take advantage of a few of the ones he misses.

I'm as embarrassed as I've ever been to still support this club. In a must win game, in our derby match, against the worst team in the conference, and THAT was the effort and intensity? Absolutely shocking. Keep the core together, reinvest the money from selling Defoe and I'm back in march. Do a full blow up of the team, and or don't reinvest the money from Defoe and I'm done. I was drinking hard last night, woke up at 6:30 in the fucking morning to watch this game and the team could barely be fucked to show up? Why do I need this? I can't go to matches anymore, I can't watch on TV or in a bar. If the team isn't going to take the idea of representing Toronto seriously, why should I represent them? Anyone who represents the city of Toronto doesn't show up to a game against montreal like that. I'd already given up hope of the playoffs but we could at least show some fucking balls. At least pretend like they're playing for jobs even. Just... Fuck. I don't even know. /rant

Hamilton_Red
10-18-2014, 03:34 PM

Did you miss the header... He ran about a lot....that isn't the same as great. I agree with not blowing the team up in general.

azorean
10-18-2014, 03:35 PM
He is who he is, he played well. His job is to create chances. If he can finish 1 in 3 or 4 that's more than good enough, especially if there's any sort of decent team around him that can take advantage of a few of the ones he misses.

I'm as embarrassed as I've ever been to still support this club. In a must win game, in our derby match, against the worst team in the conference, and THAT was the effort and intensity? Absolutely shocking. Keep the core together, reinvest the money from selling Defoe and I'm back in march. Do a full blow up of the team, and or don't reinvest the money from Defoe and I'm done. I was drinking hard last night, woke up at 6:30 in the fucking morning to watch this game and the team could barely be fucked to show up? Why do I need this? I can't go to matches anymore, I can't watch on TV or in a bar. If the team isn't going to take the idea of representing Toronto seriously, why should I represent them? Anyone who represents the city of Toronto doesn't show up to a game against montreal like that. I'd already given up hope of the playoffs but we could at least show some fucking balls. At least pretend like they're playing for jobs even. Just... Fuck. I don't even know. /rant

Yea . Most disappointing was just the lack of energy/intensity/urgency. The problem is I keep saying this to myself, comes a point when you have to realize they just aren't good enough.Maybe that's the best / most they can give.

ag futbol
10-18-2014, 03:35 PM
I'd still take Gilberto over Perez and Urruti without hesitation.
I'd be interested to hear why.

Perez is an absolute pest up front and has great holdup play. Urruti is one of the best poachers in the league and is very composed in the box. I find Gilberto to be athletic but bumbling with nowhere near the finishing ability of either of these players.

notthesun
10-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Heck, let's make the obvious one: Urruti. Nelsen should be backhanded for letting go of someone with that sort of finishing ability for a more-expensive, less effecive, player.

Is he less effective? Urruti has contributed (through goals + assists) to 11 goals this year, Gilberto 12. And Urruti is playing with the 3rd best offense in the league.

Urruti is more clinical from what we've seen for sure. I don't know that he's more effective. I would wager Gilberto has the potential to be a far more effective player in MLS with a proper team behind him than Urruti could be.

billyfly
10-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Sigh. 8 years. 8 f$&king years.

azorean
10-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Is he less effective? Urruti has contributed (through goals + assists) to 11 goals this year, Gilberto 12. And Urruti is playing with the 3rd best offense in the league.

Urruti is more clinical from what we've seen for sure. I don't know that he's more effective. I would wager Gilberto has the potential to be a far more effective player in MLS with a proper team behind him than Urruti could be.

Exactly. Key is potential, there is so much there .

ag futbol
10-18-2014, 03:40 PM
This is somewhat fair, but then you have to put into context the overall characteristics behind the two sides (Dallas vs. TFC). Gilberto, despite being a DP, is the last place I would look to correct the issues with this team, and he's just about as cheap as they come, anyway (DP's).
I agree that proportionately Gilberto at striker is less problematic than our CB situation, DM situation, or whatever. But that being said, it's a very critical area of the team. Think of Vancouver trying to tough it out without a quality striker. With a great target man, they probably go from yo-yo bubble team to very solidly in the playoffs.

I'm not sure what kind of patience we'd have for these misses if the rest of the team was operating properly. We saw how that went early in the season and the same problems have popped up again later in the year, really only masked by everyone else's really poor play.

ag futbol
10-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Hold the phone here... Gilberto has played about 600 minutes more than Urruti this season. I think that puts a major dent in Gilberto's numbers by comparison. Let's not forget Urruti played up top by himself while Gilberto played next to another striker, hence the assist number. But I'd concede - from what I've seen - Gilberto is a better at creating chances for others, I'm just not sure that's making up for the occasional cold streak.

azorean
10-18-2014, 03:46 PM

Perez is an absolute pest up front and has great holdup play. Urruti is one of the best poachers in the league and is very composed in the box. I find Gilberto to be athletic but bumbling with nowhere near the finishing ability of either of these players.

Perez is injury prone. To me it seems like he floats in and out of games.Gilberto is Much more athletic and looks more lively. Perez looks lazy at times. He can have one great game than you won't hear from him the next few. Perez is a good player but overall Gilberto has the potential to be a much more valuable player. Just my opinion. I would like to see Gilberto on that dallas team with class like Diaz, Castillo, Escobar along side of him. Look at Akindele the rookie on dallas, put him on Toronto, does he have the same success? Don't think he does

notthesun
10-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Hold the phone here... Gilberto has played about 600 minutes more than Urruti this season. I think that puts a major dent in Gilberto's numbers by comparison.

He needed time to adjust to the league. Since his first goal their contributions have been easily comparable.

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him. It would mean rolling the dice on a replacement and more club turmoil. I think we're in a good place by keeping him.

jloome
10-18-2014, 03:49 PM
I honestly feel like it's views like this, ignoring plenty of context, that have seen us ship out players of real/decent quality.

To be fair, you're not calling for him to be moved, but, alone, your comment seems to suggest that, all things equal, that's just his quality.. which is unfair.

This.

If we could get what we paid for him, I'd take it. He's not consistent enough as a striker. He has a ton of talent and athleticism, but scoffs too many from close range.

If we don't sell him, I'd play him in the hole instead of Osorio. He's way more dangerous running at defenders and shooting when in space than trying to dink in little headers and crosses. He's a strong dangerous player, so we should keep him; but if someone offered us $3.5M? I'd take it in a freakin' shot. You know how many good CONSISTENT players from S.A. you can get with that? (Likely only two, but maybe more if you're lucky.)

ag futbol
10-18-2014, 03:52 PM
He needed time to adjust to the league. Since his first goal their contributions have been easily comparable.

I was of the same line of thinking early in the year. But now that we've seen the same thing resurface later, you have to question whether it's "adjusting" or just a characteristic of his game.

burlington Red
10-18-2014, 03:57 PM
re gilberto, his biggest attribute is his work rate, for a DP striker that's not good enough, how about getting a striker for that type of money whose biggest attribute is scoring goals. I like him, but he's not DP quality, that's the bottom team we played today

notthesun
10-18-2014, 04:02 PM
If we could get what we paid for him, I'd take it. He's not consistent enough as a striker. He has a ton of talent and athleticism, but scoffs too many from close range.

If we don't sell him, I'd play him in the hole instead of Osorio. He's way more dangerous running at defenders and shooting when in space than trying to dink in little headers and crosses. He's a strong dangerous player, so we should keep him; but if someone offered us $3.5M? I'd take it in a freakin' shot. You know how many good CONSISTENT players from S.A. you can get with that? (Likely only two, but maybe more if you're lucky.)

I was of the same line of thinking early in the year. But now that we've seen the same thing resurface later, you have to question whether it's "adjusting" or just a characteristic of his game.

So many people said that teams around the league had Plata figured out when we traded him. Even started to believe it myself. Oops.

We're too quick to judge some players. It's less of an issue when the player is a role guy. When the guy has talent - Plata, Urruti, Silva - it pretty consistently blows up in our face.

If he wants to be here (which is another question entirely), I say keep him.

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 04:20 PM
This is, again, where I feel context comes into it; he's looking unsettled, again.. but, could that not have to do with the whole Defoe saga?

He might pan out, or he might not; our problem, whether we're talking managers or players, has been a lack of consistency -- not giving them a fair shot, under the right circumstances (off the pitch/quality around them). We agree that he's one of our BEST players, and that he COULD give more. My question is: why don't we at least SEE, given our track record?

Initial B
10-18-2014, 04:26 PM
Well, there's no hiding what TFC is. This game showed simply that they aren't a playoff team yet.

This is a disaster for Tim Lieweke. He sold the MLSE board and TFC fans on playoffs this year and it has blown up in his face. This will be a major blow to his reputation and will cause any other executive to look askance at any offer to take over TFC. It has damaged the careers of two of the most respected executives in Payne and Lieweke, so any possible candidate for the poisoned chalice of TFC President will avoid us like the plague.

There's going to be a sacrifice for this season. The MLSE board is going to look to scapegoat someone for this season in order to show the casual fan that "something has been done", only to lose the supporters who know better. I expect Vanney is going back to the academy and I don't think even Bez is safe. And they can't show us a plan because nobody is really in charge over there. What a mess. :(

That said, there's hope - the salary cap is going to be raised by at least $1M, so I'm sure Bez and the scouts will be scouring S.A. for talent they can bring in to increase TFC's quality in time for training camp.

Waggy
10-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Well, there's no hiding what TFC is. This game showed simply that they aren't a playoff team yet.

This is a disaster for Tim Lieweke. He sold the MLSE board and TFC fans on playoffs this year and it has blown up in his face. This will be a major blow to his reputation and will cause any other executive to look askance at any offer to take over TFC. It has damaged the careers of two of the most respected executives in Payne and Lieweke, so any possible candidate for the poisoned chalice of TFC President will avoid us like the plague.

There's going to be a sacrifice for this season. The MLSE board is going to look to scapegoat someone for this season in order to show the casual fan that "something has been done", only to lose the supporters who know better. I expect Vanney is going back to the academy and I don't think even Bez is safe. And they can't show us a plan because nobody is really in charge over there. What a mess. :(

That said, there's hope - the salary cap is going to be raised by at least $1M, so I'm sure Bez and the scouts will be scouring S.A. for talent they can bring in to increase TFC's quality in time for training camp.

He fixed the Raptors in 3 months. His reputation will be fine, if anything it only will continue to grow. All this shows is how fucked TFC is. He thought TFC would be the easier fix than the Raps or Leafs because it's impossible to be THAT bad for that long in MLS. Well. Almost impossible.

Richard
10-18-2014, 04:34 PM

Payne? He did nothing but good for us by helping unload some of the worst contracts in the league. I think his rep is firmly intact, in fact its probably looking very nice with how Urruti is panning out.

notthesun
10-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Payne? He did nothing but good for us by helping unload some of the worst contracts in the league. I think his rep is firmly intact, in fact its probably looking very nice with how Urruti is panning out.

He traded Silva for nothing and considering our position heading into it, probably conducted one of the all time worst drafts in league history.

We're now in a position where we need a new RB and a new winger and we could have drafted Farrell and Manneh.

Richard
10-18-2014, 04:38 PM
^^ I think on the balance of things he did more positive than negative. I think Silva trade was probably forced on him when TL wanted Forlan, we also still don't know the amount of allocation we got for him. I will give you the draft though, that didn't pan out.

ensco
10-18-2014, 04:39 PM
He traded Silva for nothing and considering our position heading into it, probably conducted one of the all time worst drafts in league history.

The draft was horrible, no argument, but the Silva thing is a bit complex.

Leiweke showed up and obviously started talking about making a big splash right away. Don't forget, Payne was trying to impress him, so he says, I'll get you Forlan. To do that, he had to make room.

Would Payne have moved Silva if his job wasn't on the line in terms of getting a big name? I don't know. But bez' subsequent ragging on Silva to several people has always sounded defensive, and makes me wonder.

notthesun
10-18-2014, 04:43 PM
The draft was horrible, no argument, but the Silva thing is a bit complex.

Leiweke showed up and obviously started talking about making a big splash right away. Don't forget, Payne was trying to impress him, so he says, I'll get you Forlan. To do that, he had to make room.

Would Payne have moved Silva if his job wasn't on the line in terms of getting a big name? I don't know. But bez' subsequent ragging on Silva to several people has always sounded defensive, and makes me wonder.

Still doesn't excuse him from moving Silva before the Forlan deal was complete (or evidently even anywhere near completion). That's just pure incompetence.

69Chevy396
10-18-2014, 04:49 PM
TFC must now be considered the most poorly run club in MLS history.

OgtheDim
10-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Better building blocks then last season. Gotta get out of the 4-4-2. And get some midfielders willing to track back.

Osorio hasn't the strength. Kept trying to shape to beat his man and people just went through him for the ball.

Pookie
10-18-2014, 05:06 PM
4-3-3 eh?

Probably the system that Winter is using with the U19 Dutch National team.

WestStandGeoff
10-18-2014, 05:10 PM

Really was awesome!

And did you see how quickly Filipe jumped up after Joe dumped him on the sidelines? Forget keeper, Joe should be our phisio - that pick-up and placement were easily worth about 20 bottles of "magic spray"!

Auzzy
10-18-2014, 05:18 PM
4-3-3 eh?

Probably the system that Winter is using with the U19 Dutch National team.

I was laughing during the game, with the TSN crew harping that TFC don't stand a chance with 4-4-2. I kept remembering how clueless Winter supposedly was, attempting anything but 4-4-2. ("MLS players can't play anything else!")

Anyway, it's not an effin' foosball table, with players stuck in position on a stick once the game starts. If Montreal is crowding the midfield, and TFC's two strikers are hopelessly standing around with no service, why can't TFC find a way to adjust accordingly -- who gives a crap what the starting formation was?

v00d00daddy
10-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Sadly, you're right, and make a valid point, regarding us not allowing TFC to see us turn on each other.

That said, I think it's one thing to be angry, as you say you are, but, if I'm honest, I genuinely feel as if you're not often seen during the glorious points in the season -- the epic comebacks and the like -- only to resurface to call for bookings against our boys, or calling them "assholes," etc. I look at the comment you made about being happy for how Oduro's alleged embelishing should shut us up, and I see that as an indirect swipe.. only for you to play all righteous, when someone slightly reacts to it.

Hey, man.. I don't mean to single you out, here, but, for me, it's a clear double-standard. At the end of the day, it's pro sports -- you're not supposed to be all diplomatic and composed about how you support the lads.

All I was getting at is that it makes us look like sucks when we're dishonest about what we see.

How do we joke about Felipe faking (after Osorio purposely stepped on his foot) and being proud of Bendik picking him up while we ignore Oduros constant embellishment and dives? I just can't do both. I don't think its ok because we love this team.

I especially hate it at a time when there are many more important things to worry about instead of bad officiating (which I think actually favoured us this year) and opponents faking shit.

We should be more critical of our team when we suck....especially when it's 8 years and counting.

Again...just my opinion but what this club has done since day one just doesn't deserve love from the supporters. They should feel anger and experience fear.

They should be worried that their desire to make more money is going to suffer greatly, as long as our desire to celebrate our teams success is not properly addressed.

OgtheDim
10-18-2014, 05:35 PM
I was laughing during the game, with the TSN crew harping that TFC don't stand a chance with 4-4-2. I kept remembering how clueless Winter supposedly was, attempting anything but 4-4-2. ("MLS players can't play anything else!")

Anyway, it's not an effin' foosball table, with players stuck in position on a stick once the game starts. If Montreal is crowding the midfield, and TFC's two strikers are hopelessly standing around with no service, why can't TFC find a way to adjust accordingly -- who gives a crap what the starting formation was?

Cause most of their chances happened when our midfielders didn't track back. As has been happening since about June.

And Jackson and Oduro don't know how to find spaces and even if they do, they can't pass or shoot worth beans. Creavalle was Ok.

Like it or not, most MLS teams will waltz through a 4-4-2.

nlsanand
10-18-2014, 05:52 PM
The ref completely lost the plot. Neither of first two were reds (I acutally thought first red was a second yellow, couldn't believe it). Why was that goal waved off around 80 minutes? They're not showing replay on MLS site. Also, Impact player literally grabbed ball in first half (in anticipation of foul call), nothing was called and this cocksucker didn't even call the handball. These MLS refs are a fucking joke.

Red4ever
10-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Just wanna give props to wowza for a spirited effort on the capo stand. Well done whistle to whistle.

PopePouri
10-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Cause most of their chances happened when our midfielders didn't track back. As has been happening since about June.

And Jackson and Oduro don't know how to find spaces and even if they do, they can't pass or shoot worth beans. Creavalle was Ok.

Like it or not, most MLS teams will waltz through a 4-4-2.

I disagree with KJ that the formation is the problem. Seattle, LA and RSL use it to full effect. it, however is based on partnerships though (2 CB, 2 strikers, 2 CM) and we don't have that.

NolbertoS
10-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Man, tieing lowly Montreal, pretty much sums up TFC's season. At this point, MLSE, has damaged the brand worse than ever. Any other local owners willing to spend wisely and smartly?? I'm not as optimistic going into Year 9. If the Caps make the MLS playoffs, it'll be 2 playoff appearances in a span of 4-5 years. I think MLSE, better send a crew out West to take notes and interchange ideas with the Caps. Some of that BC bud might rub on some players and coaches, and they're doing it with no proven forward. The Caps would've done wonders if they have Gilberto this season. Team needs a thorough report from top to bottom and what's not working. 9 years is too long with futility.

MightyDM
10-18-2014, 06:50 PM

Gutsy, and correct post.

MightyDM
10-18-2014, 06:52 PM

I really like Gilberto. But at the game he looked poor

jazzy
10-18-2014, 07:37 PM

it's a 4 4 2 with no support , he's hung out to dry by no counter tactics by our coach , (midfield constantly being dominated by Montreal), and yet he still created chased down balls , made excellent passes . On one occasion he was holding up the ball against 2 defenders still looking for support (the slow to react forwards) and when someon finally got into position made a accurate cross into their feet . He was constantly trying to create his own chances , compare that to Defoe who basically gave up waving his arms most second halves .

ag futbol
10-18-2014, 07:37 PM
This is, again, where I feel context comes into it; he's looking unsettled, again.. but, could that not have to do with the whole Defoe saga?

He might pan out, or he might not; our problem, whether we're talking managers or players, has been a lack of consistency
I agree, in this case, that we *might* get rewarded with some consistency for Gilberto. But in general, I can't say that is a root cause of failure at this club. If I try to sail across the atlantic in a bathtub, then a tubber dingy, then an inner tube, and finally a pool noodle and they all fail, my issue isn't a lack of consistency, it's having a bad plan in the first place.

In the history of this club, there have been *maybe* 1 or 2 times where we had a plan that actually made sense from the outset. One of those times was with Kevin Payne/Nelsen combo. Every other time was basically a hair-brained scheme doomed to fail from the outset. And this year was no different, it was a lot of money masking some very poorly laid out ideas.

And here we are again, trusting two people who might have pedigree - but in a practical sense have no experience and are still figuring out what their jobs require - to run the gauntlet in a market that changes coaches like they change underwear. These guys do not have much to fall back on if things start to go poorly. An experienced coach, who we are financially committed to and extending the proper authority, has a better chance of making this work. And frankly, we're just heading into another period of a lot of turnover here, so why not let someone who's done it before figure that out rather than a couple of guys who are learning on the job?

jazzy
10-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Is he less effective? Urruti has contributed (through goals + assists) to 11 goals this year, Gilberto 12. And Urruti is playing with the 3rd best offense in the league..Urruti is more clinical from what we've seen for sure. I don't know that he's more effective. I would wager Gilberto has the potential to be a far more effective player in MLS with a proper team behind him than Urruti could be.

I agree ,..it scares me if another team gets a hold of Gilberto....how many ex TFC players are now successful on opposing teams?

Areathrasher
10-18-2014, 09:26 PM
If Gil does leave, i'd wager alot of money its not within the league, Mexico or back to Brazil.

jloome
10-18-2014, 09:30 PM
I agree, in this case, that we *might* get rewarded with some consistency for Gilberto. But in general, I can't say that is a root cause of failure at this club. If I try to sail across the atlantic in a bathtub, then a tubber dingy, then an inner tube, and finally a pool noodle and they all fail, my issue isn't a lack of consistency, it's having a bad plan in the first place.

In the history of this club, there have been *maybe* 1 or 2 times where we had a plan that actually made sense from the outset. One of those times was with Kevin Payne/Nelsen combo. Every other time was basically a hair-brained scheme doomed to fail from the outset. And this year was no different, it was a lot of money masking some very poorly laid out ideas.

And here we are again, trusting two people who might have pedigree - but in a practical sense have no experience and are still figuring out what their jobs require - to run the gauntlet in a market that changes coaches like they change underwear. These guys do not have much to fall back on if things start to go poorly. An experienced coach, who we are financially committed to and extending the proper authority, has a better chance of making this work. And frankly, we're just heading into another period of a lot of turnover here, so why not let someone who's done it before figure that out rather than a couple of guys who are learning on the job?

How was Payne/Nelsen any different?

OgtheDim
10-18-2014, 09:30 PM
I disagree with KJ that the formation is the problem. Seattle, LA and RSL use it to full effect. it, however is based on partnerships though (2 CB, 2 strikers, 2 CM) and we don't have that.

I agree with you on RSL but they don't attempt the pivot like TFC has. Beckerman doesn't get forward that much at all. Unlike us who havn't had a stay at home DM all season.

LAG is really a 4-2-3-1 with Donovan going forward - he's not much of a defensive type dude anymore - and Keane sitting in the hole. Seattle pretty much plays a 4-1-3-2.

lobo
10-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Inevitable.

Realistically, we were out of the playoffs two weeks ago, but Montreal can still say they ruined it for TFC. And ... without a win for TFC today, the Shitecaps clinch their first ever CCL berth for 2015. Just fookin' lovely.

Blizzard
10-18-2014, 09:34 PM

I agree ,..it scares me if another team gets a hold of Gilberto....how many ex TFC players are now successful on opposing teams?

I'm horrified by the thought of Gilberto being disposed of. Maybe that will go away if we bring in somebody else of quality but as far as I'm concerned, he showed great commitment to the TFC cause and if this is a TFC initiated move versus Gilberto wanting out, I'll be furious with Bez, a man who I've been giving the benefit of the doubt.

Davenport
10-18-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm horrified by the thought of Gilberto being disposed of. Maybe that will go away if we bring in somebody else of quality but as far as I'm concerned, he showed great commitment to the TFC cause and if this is a TFC initiated move versus Gilberto wanting out, I'll be furious with Bez, a man who I've been giving the benefit of the doubt.

Horrified ?? That's a bit extreme considering how little he's contributed. For the money he's being paid he should win a game or two.
As long as this team is owned by MLSE we're all fukced.

MightyDM
10-18-2014, 10:50 PM

gotta agree with this.

TFC07
10-18-2014, 11:03 PM
I have to say is Montreal supporters = LOL. Those guys are bunch of clowns and fake tough guys. All talk, no action. But I will admit one thing: having large amount of Montreal supporters created that derby like atmosphere despite our teams being awful.

As for game itself, what a painful game to watch. Both teams don't know how to defend while offensively both teams can't finish their chances. You add the fact you got nutjob ref who wants to be star of the show, this game had no chance to be exciting to watch.

I hope Vanney isn't coach next year, this guy is way over his head. Bring an experience coach (MLS experience or not) to run this club properly.

Fushida
10-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Horrified ?? That's a bit extreme considering how little he's contributed. For the money he's being paid he should win a game or two.
As long as this team is owned by MLSE we're all fukced.

Gilberto's brief hot streak was what kept Nelson in the seat for a few more weeks before the inevitable sack. The guy hasn't got the numbers but he does the right things and does get the chances. It's his first year in a foreign league and a foreign environment. I wouldn't say the same if he hasn't shown anything, but he's shown that he can create and get chances in a team with no system for getting much of anything in a game.

Whether he's worth DP money is another thing, but getting imports that can light up the league immediately isn't exactly commonplace in this league.

JuliquE
10-19-2014, 02:16 AM
All I was getting at is that it makes us look like sucks when we're dishonest about what we see.

How do we joke about Felipe faking (after Osorio purposely stepped on his foot) and being proud of Bendik picking him up while we ignore Oduros constant embellishment and dives? I just can't do both. I don't think its ok because we love this team.

I especially hate it at a time when there are many more important things to worry about instead of bad officiating (which I think actually favoured us this year) and opponents faking shit.

We should be more critical of our team when we suck....especially when it's 8 years and counting.

Again...just my opinion but what this club has done since day one just doesn't deserve love from the supporters. They should feel anger and experience fear.

They should be worried that their desire to make more money is going to suffer greatly, as long as our desire to celebrate our teams success is not properly addressed.
I absolutely agree with all you've just said, as I often do, might I add.

I suppose the way I view it is sort of like I do a matrimonial relationship: in a public forum, your significant other might get into it with someone -- may even be wrong, in the grand scheme of things -- but, at the end of the day, he/she is your life-partner, and, in the heat of the moment, you stand behind him/her -- full stop. You might quietly approach them on the matter, at a more appropriate time, later on, to suggest a better approach, next time.. but, not when they're fuming and/or even shortly after the incident, when they're perhaps still venting.

Now, of course, in a more extreme case, if, for instance, he/she is about to assault someone, you stand behind them, all the same, but in a way that just looks to be calming the situation down (for his/her sake), only to follow the same protocols as previously described.

I suppose I just feel like your timing can sometimes be a bit suspect. Having said that, I do understand being angry at those who NEVER see the bigger picture, but I think you would stand a better chance at converting people to your view of things (again, a view I also share), were you to come at them from a different angle (maybe not, but it's your best chance, for me).

JuliquE
10-19-2014, 02:28 AM

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at the bold portion, there (did the former; the latter may come, at some point).

I agree, whole-heartedly; my point, despite including managers in the equation, was more in defence of Gilberto.

This.

Oldtimer
10-19-2014, 07:50 AM

You just know he's going to be a contender for mvp if he does.

FRANKIE65
10-19-2014, 09:16 AM
My take on the match...Probably Bendik's best of the season. Overall, IMO, a decent effort given by most of the lads. Montreal is playing their best football of the season right now, which, unfortunately, is more than good enough to compete with the squad we had on the pitch.
Highlight of the match...Bendik's passion.
Worst moment...walking out ten minutes after it ended, listening to the Limpact fans singing NaNaNaNa Hey Hey Hey Goodbye....that shit is bad enough in hockey.

ag futbol
10-19-2014, 10:40 AM
How was Payne/Nelsen any different?
More or less, it was based on a formula seen elsewhere in MLS. Experienced GM, supporting inexperienced coach, who is a former player in the league. In practice, they didn't like each other and the relationship degraded. But I can see, logically, why that's a plan that could have worked. At least there were no outrageous (and obvious) Paul Mariner / Aron Winter type of conflicts from the outset.

As a side note, how Toledo continues to get games in this league shocks me. I was waiting for the Osorio foul to come online and looks like a yellow at best to me. Same with the Heath Pearce foul. But it all stems from his initially poor / missed calls. Players get angry, game starts to get out of control, and then he starts trouble shooting his own mess.

Huyton
10-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Why do I have a bad feeling that TFC is going to absolutely crater in this game? The news of transfers and trades the day before the game can't be good for morale. Good thing that the "All for One" series is over. I can't see how a team disintegration can be spun positively.

It should be renamed "All For Naught"...which is what I was going to put on a two-stick, but couldn't find the time.

Heart of Stone
10-19-2014, 03:29 PM
One of the worst pro sports team in North America... on this point there can be no doubt.

I went to 6-8 road games between season 2 - season 6. But now I'm glad the team is so shit as I've saved a lot of $$ the last two season. If they had been good I may have kept travelling to see them. And now I simply don't care about them that much anymore. Sad but true.

Red CB Toronto
10-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Looking out to the future, not sure what to expect.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/soccer/opinion/assets_c/2012/11/620-mariner-120623-thumb-620xauto-247067.jpg

Pint
10-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Looking out to the future, not sure what to expect.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/soccer/opinion/assets_c/2012/11/620-mariner-120623-thumb-620xauto-247067.jpg

this guy was at the game yesterday in the owners box. I pointed at him and he waved, held back but now wish i had flipped him off.

Fort York Redcoat
10-20-2014, 08:29 AM

this guy was at the game yesterday in the owners box. I pointed at him and he waved, held back but now wish i had flipped him off.

Oh I can't wait for his call of the next game in the highlights. We can all wait to hear the sour grapes in his call.

Fort York Redcoat
10-20-2014, 08:32 AM
One of the worst pro sports team in North America... on this point there can be no doubt.

I went to 6-8 road games between season 2 - season 6. But now I'm glad the team is so shit as I've saved a lot of $$ the last two season. If they had been good I may have kept travelling to see them. And now I simply don't care about them that much anymore. Sad but true.

So shit? 2 seasons ago we finished with half the points we have this year. Whatever makes you feel vindicated I guess.

Fort York Redcoat
10-20-2014, 08:50 AM

It's like some supporters have a hard time with bias as soon as they are disappointed. If one wants to distance themselves from engagement and be unbias that's fine but you will see bias from a group of support every game from every team in the world.

Do we really think that TFC made money this year? 100 million on players with no playoff revenue? We have a thread on their tv numbers so that can't be where they are making it up.

pdubs
10-20-2014, 08:54 AM
It's like some supporters have a hard time with bias as soon as they are disappointed. If one wants to distance themselves from engagement and be unbias that's fine but you will see bias from a group of support every game from every team in the world.

Do we really think that TFC made money this year? 100 million on players with no playoff revenue? We have a thread on their tv numbers so that can't be where they are making it up.

that 100 million includes the total salary Bradley and Defoe would make over the tenure of their contracts tho right? If we sell Defoe we recoup the transfer fee and are only out 1 year of salary (6 million). I agree I don't they made money but it is not like they took a 100 million dollar hit all at once this year.

v00d00daddy
10-20-2014, 08:56 AM

I understand that there is biased support for every team in the world. I'm just saying that we shouldn't focus on the stuff like that (i.e. officiating and anything the opposition does) when there are far more important things to focus on.

As for making money…no way. LOL. They lost a shitload this year. All because they invested (turns out very poorly) in signing people that they hoped would both, help the team win, and help keep the seats full. All while keeping the supporters quiet. That's why they signed who they signed. They hoped it would do both.

So yes..they lost money…but they could have lost even more. They didn't make the playoffs. They collapsed…again. But they're somewhat protected because the manner in which they spent catered to the majority of the people they want to keep in the stands.

Had they signed a somewhat aging striker of Defoes stature from any other league on the entire planet there would have been way more negative talk associated to him, way sooner. And by now….there would have been a hell of a lot more talk about changing the manner in which this team is supported.

Of course this is all just a guess on my part. I'm not trying to preach like its a fact. Just my opinion.

TFC front office is not stupid at keeping us quiet and happy. They're just stupid at putting together a team that can properly compete.

Maybe because their goals and priorities are a little messed up.

Fort York Redcoat
10-20-2014, 08:58 AM
that 100 million includes the total salary Bradley and Defoe would make over the tenure of their contracts tho right? If we sell Defoe we recoup the transfer fee and are only out 1 year of salary (6 million). I agree I don't they made money but it is not like they took a 100 million dollar hit all at once this year.

I never bet but the closest I'd get is to wager they won't see the return on that 100 mil over the length of those contracts either. But, yes, they aren't out the total sum yet.

Fort York Redcoat
10-20-2014, 09:05 AM
I understand that there is biased support for every team in the world. I'm just saying that we shouldn't focus on the stuff like that (i.e. officiating and anything the opposition does) when there are far more important things to focus on.

As for making money…no way. LOL. They lost a shitload this year. All because they invested (turns out very poorly) in signing people that they hoped would both, help the team win, and help keep the seats full. All while keeping the supporters quiet. That's why they signed who they signed. They hoped it would do both.

So yes..they lost money…but they could have lost even more. They didn't make the playoffs. They collapsed…again. But they're somewhat protected because the manner in which they spent catered to the majority of the people they want to keep in the stands.

Had they signed a somewhat aging striker of Defoes stature from any other league on the entire planet there would have been way more negative talk associated to him, way sooner. And by now….there would have been a hell of a lot more talk about changing the manner in which this team is supported.

Of course this is all just a guess on my part. I'm not trying to preach like its a fact. Just my opinion.

TFC front office is not stupid at keeping us quiet and happy. They're just stupid at putting together a team that can properly compete.

Maybe because their goals and priorities are a little messed up.

I agree with the priority you state in the grand scheme of support but your commenting on it THE DAY OF or IN GAME is what comes off as contrary because you're disappointed. People get there backs up and most bias, emotional, during the game. We all know this. Then the highlight/replay comes up and we should be able to grin to ourselves and say "Well... maybe not".

A supporter can be both these things. Bias in-game and reflective the day or hour after.

I'll limit myself to discussing the year that was until we start seeing the changes the club make which, hopefully, will be out of the ordinary and be sooner than later.

v00d00daddy
10-20-2014, 09:18 AM
I agree with the priority you state in the grand scheme of support but your commenting on it THE DAY OF or IN GAME is what comes off as contrary because you're disappointed. People get there backs up and most bias, emotional, during the game. We all know this. Then the highlight/replay comes up and we should be able to grin to ourselves and say "Well... maybe not".

A supporter can be both these things. Bias in-game and reflective the day or hour after.

I'll limit myself to discussing the year that was until we start seeing the changes the club make which, hopefully, will be out of the ordinary and be sooner than later.

Ahhh gotcha. Totally makes sense.

I'll stick to in game based conversation. I guess I just find it strange for us not to "see" DeRo (after being fouled) purposely kicking a guy in the stomach area and getting away with it. I get people being okay with it…but to not even acknowledge it…while still complaining about officiating. I just don't get it.

That's not showing bias in my opinion. When Osorio stomps a guy and all we talk about is how Bendik picked him up and took him off the field, it's just weird. Its flat out counter productive in my opinion. How can we assess our issues if the stomp is not talked about? Same goes for Oduro's embellishment and diving.

I get that it's the heat of the moment. But days later we still don't talk about this stuff. All season we boasted about how good we were. How much we'd evolved. What we ignored while trying not to be biased was that we were offered many good calls (penalties that Defoe cashed in on) while never talking about the 18 yard box fouls and hand balls we got away with at the same time. And because we didn't' talk about it back when it was happening, we still openly criticize officiating during almost every game. Even when it benefits us. LOL (like when we got a late foul called in our favour on DeRo which gave us a free kick when, in reality, it should have been a free kick for us with one less intended target in the box because DeRo should have been in the dressing room on a straight red),

Ignoring it from past games skewed our judgement on the team. It built us up a false sense of security. And now we're suffering more from it because we ignored it back then. We did it again during this game. When we're bad so often for so many years, our criticism should be aimed at other targets….namely those wearing the same colours we wear in the crowd.

Alonso
10-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Ahhh gotcha. Totally makes sense.

I'll stick to in game based conversation. I guess I just find it strange for us not to "see" DeRo (after being fouled) purposely kicking a guy in the stomach area and getting away with it. I get people being okay with it…but to not even acknowledge it…while still complaining about officiating. I just don't get it.

That's not showing bias in my opinion. When Osorio stomps a guy and all we talk about is how Bendik picked him up and took him off the field, it's just weird. Its flat out counter productive in my opinion. How can we assess our issues if the stomp is not talked about? Same goes for Oduro's embellishment and diving.

I get that it's the heat of the moment. But days later we still don't talk about this stuff. All season we boasted about how good we were. How much we'd evolved. What we ignored while trying not to be biased was that we were offered many good calls (penalties that Defoe cashed in on) while never talking about the 18 yard box fouls and hand balls we got away with at the same time. And because we didn't' talk about it back when it was happening, we still openly criticize officiating during almost every game. Even when it benefits us. LOL (like when we got a late foul called in our favour on DeRo which gave us a free kick when, in reality, it should have been a free kick for us with one less intended target in the box because DeRo should have been in the dressing room on a straight red),

Ignoring it from past games skewed our judgement on the team. It built us up a false sense of security. And now we're suffering more from it because we ignored it back then. We did it again during this game. When we're bad so often for so many years, our criticism should be aimed at other targets….namely those wearing the same colours we wear in the crowd.

Have to agree.

Complaining about the officiating is pointless because it's equally awful for every team in MLS.

The focus should be on what TFC does or doesn't do.

The reffing is a side show and even's out over the course of a year.

Carts
10-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Have to agree.

Complaining about the officiating is pointless because it's equally awful for every team in MLS.

The focus should be on what TFC does or doesn't do.

The reffing is a side show and even's out over the course of a year.

The biggest side-show on Saturday was the top-corner of 119! :drinking:

EPIC TIMES! Shit result...

Yohan
10-20-2014, 07:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0QXgAoIEAESuMM.jpg

JuliquE
10-21-2014, 05:26 AM
You're gonna be THAT guy -- really?!

molenshtain
10-21-2014, 07:30 AM
I could have sworn there were more Impact fans than that?

Fort York Redcoat
10-21-2014, 08:31 AM
I could have sworn there were more Impact fans than that?

You are correct. There are a couple dozen out of picture to the left.

Auzzy
10-21-2014, 11:02 AM

If I decide to renew my season seats, I'm going to have to do some serious disinfection first home game next season.

brad
10-21-2014, 11:56 AM
^^At least they have graduated from garbage bags...

Yohan
10-21-2014, 12:44 PM
You're gonna be THAT guy -- really?!
yeah. never forget. like getting shelled 6-0 in Montreal.

JuliquE
10-21-2014, 03:32 PM
yeah. never forget. like getting shelled 6-0 in Montreal.
Never forget that we've not made the playoffs, yet. Got it!