PDA

View Full Version : TFC's failed striker signing - IVES

MG42
07-23-2008, 09:55 AM
A Costly miss on the transfer market
Toronto FC's lengthy search for a striker has been well-documented but one of the lesser-known strikers the club targeted, and nearly signed, was Honduran national team striker Carlos Costly.
Toronto midfielder and Honduran national team player Amado Guevara confirmed on Tuesday that Costly was ready to sign with Toronto FC before his current club, Polish side GKS Belchatow, signed him to an improved contract.
"If we could have signed him, it would have been amazing," Guevara lamented. "We need forwards, that's clear for everyone to see."

also a bit on Carver's Cunny and Wynne bashing
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/07/morning-tick-11.html

Corpand
07-23-2008, 10:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Costly

Sure would have been a nice signing.....fuck its like fate is alligned against us. If we go downhill just like we did last season....

reggie
07-23-2008, 10:11 AM
what a fucking surprize,another deal mo can't close....

Damien
07-23-2008, 10:13 AM
How many "almost" signings can we chalk up for the 2008 season now?

Oldtimer
07-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Too bad, could have made the difference for the CL spot.

ilikemusic
07-23-2008, 10:19 AM
What a fucking shock.

I wonder why he didnt want to play here? :rolleyes:

Fuck MLSE, fuck BMO Field, fuck the Cunt and fuck the turf.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Too bad, looks like he would have been a great signing.

CretanBull
07-23-2008, 11:21 AM
He was on trial at Leeds back in January and failed to impress...Wigan were also interested in him, and he failed to impress there too.

I've only ever seen him play for Honduras, I don't remember too much about him (only his name and the fact that he's Tony Costly's son).

On one of the Leeds message boards that I visit, they said he looked great when he had time and space, but couldn't do a thing when pressured or in traffic.

Northern Soul
07-23-2008, 11:24 AM
He was on trial at Leeds back in January and failed to impress...Wigan were also interested in him, and he failed to impress there too.

I've only ever seen him play for Honduras, I don't remember too much about him (only his name and the fact that he's Tony Costly's son).

On one of the Leeds message boards that I visit, they said he looked great when he had time and space, but couldn't do a thing when pressured or in traffic.

I think the problem now is that we're so desparate, it wouldn't matter. That, and he couldn't possibly be worse than Cunny.

CretanBull
07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
I think the problem now is that we're so desparate, it wouldn't matter. That, and he couldn't possibly be worse than Cunny.

Sad, but true.

Mind you, we could pull some guy out of the crowd and he'd be better than Cunny. He could run circles around me, but I KNOW that I can tap in a ball that's sitting on the goal line.

ensco
07-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Can you imagine what Mo's full list of players who wouldn't come here looks like?

The ones we know about must be only the tip of the iceberg.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Can you imagine what Mo's full list of players who wouldn't come here looks like?

The ones we know about must be only the tip of the iceberg.

You got er.
Glad to hear some positivity in dire times.

Antoshka
07-23-2008, 12:00 PM
so whats happening with McBride then?

T0R0NT0 FC
07-23-2008, 12:09 PM
man, that sucks... we REALLY need a striker... :(

RealG-TFC
07-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Gerba!

Tintin
07-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Gerba is close to signing with the IMPACT! According to sources in Montreal. He has been training with them.

oxygenatedbrain
07-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Gerba is close to signing with the IMPACT! According to sources in Montreal. He has been training with them.

Oh...what sources?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Oh...what sources?

Its in one of the news sections somewhere, its until the end of the season cuz he wants to go back to europe.

noochie
07-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Gerba ain't the answer. Better than what we have now possibly... but not a huge upgrade by any stretch.

Marc"2L"
07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Somebody needs to buy this club from the teachers.

CanuckPete
07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Somebody needs to buy this club from the teachers.

What in the world are you basing that on?

The Leafs have frequently opened to vault, even for mediocre players.

The Raptors have never shied away from spending money.

I don't understand where this myth comes from, or why people insist on repeating it.

The Pope
07-23-2008, 03:43 PM
What in the world are you basing that on?

The Leafs have frequently opened to vault, even for mediocre players.

The Raptors have never shied away from spending money.

I don't understand where this myth comes from, or why people insist on repeating it.

I'd say it should happen just for the fact that none of MLSE's pro teams have won anything of note

that should be reason enough

Pyeddo
07-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Because a soccer club needs a passionate leader.... not a boardroom full of stiffs worrying about their bottom line.

Where's Alex Shnaider when we need him??????

(http://www.thestar.com/article/291221)

Ossington Mental Youth
07-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Jesus, please no more MLSE bashing its boring as hell.
Someone dig up one of those other threads already.
This dude didnt sign for whatever reason and im certain that MLSE had nothing to do with it. If you want to blame anyone blame the MLS for their cap.

rocker
07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Because a soccer club needs a passionate leader.... not a boardroom full of stiffs worrying about their bottom line.

Where's Alex Shnaider when we need him??????

(http://www.thestar.com/article/291221)

oh god, the last thing we need is another Harold Ballard.. and a young one, who we'll be stuck with for 40 years. guys like that have an ego they need to feed by owning a sports team, and since this is a capped league, he wouldn't be able to spend spend spend. so he'd just fire people every few months like Ballard always did.

CanuckPete
07-23-2008, 04:31 PM
I'd say it should happen just for the fact that none of MLSE's pro teams have won anything of note

that should be reason enough

It's not.

Plenty of franchises have never won championships.

And there would be no TFC without MLSE. Don't underestimate how appealing they were as owners to MLS.