PDA

View Full Version : The General called into the USMNT

Red CB Toronto
10-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Jurgen Klinsmann has called in The General for their friendly in Florida vs. Honduras as one of six roster changes from last night in Hartford. Will be a busy week for him with tonight's game in NYC and next Saturday vs. Montreal.

molenshtain
10-11-2014, 01:47 PM
He can decline the call-up right?

BuSaPuNk
10-11-2014, 01:56 PM

He better.

notthesun
10-11-2014, 01:57 PM
He already skipped the last call, I don't see him missing this.

Yohan
10-11-2014, 01:58 PM
he won't. i have a feeling this was a compromise between USMNT and MLS/TFC

ensco
10-11-2014, 02:44 PM
He must be going.

The issue isn't Klinsmann per se. There is immense pressure for the stars to help sell tickets to these games.

The whole international friendly system has gone berserk, the dollars are bigger than what the clubs earn. The bulk of the Brazil and Argentina first choice teams are playing in Beijing today.

TFC07
10-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Meanwhile, Osorio is going to miss playing against Colombia who are playing in RBNY stadium couple of days after TFC game.

What a joke!

If TFC doesn't stand up, then TFC can't bitch about Canada calling up guys next time around.

Richard
10-11-2014, 03:23 PM
He must be going.

The issue isn't Klinsmann per se. There is immense pressure for the stars to help sell tickets to these games.

The whole international friendly system has gone berserk, the dollars are bigger than what the clubs earn. The bulk of the Brazil and Argentina first choice teams are playing in Beijing today.

Well it can also a good thing in that the World Cup should be better in the long run with better chemistry amongst the squads.

JuliquE
10-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Is it becoming a bit over the top for anyone else, calling Bradley "The General," at every opportunity? I don't know -- it's been starting to feel a bit gimmicky, not mixing it up, like, at all (into caricature territory, now).

ensco
10-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Well it can also a good thing in that the World Cup should be better in the long run with better chemistry amongst the squads.

That's true.

What I am talking about is the free ride for national teams. The players don't get paid by the national teams, but the national teams are making hundreds of millions on the backs of the clubs that pay. The clubs are muppets to this, and the system is rotten.

Exact same issue with NHL and the Olympics btw.

ensco
10-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Is it becoming a bit over the top for anyone else, calling Bradley "The General," at every opportunity? I don't know -- it's been starting to feel a bit gimmicky, not mixing it up, like, at all (into caricature territory, now).

I call him Lex Luthor or Mr Clean, personally.

JuliquE
10-11-2014, 03:43 PM
I call him Lex Luthor or Mr Clean, personally.
hahha Much better!

Qman
10-11-2014, 03:57 PM
hahha Much better!

Lux Luthor its is!!!!!!!

ag futbol
10-11-2014, 05:02 PM
I would heavily suggest our next DP not be an international who frequently gets called to their national team.

Add up the scheduling headaches as the wear-and-tear, you are losing a lot of value there.

Auzzy
10-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Well Bradley is suspended for the next game due to yellow card accumulations, so who gives a shit now?

nfitz
10-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Well Bradley is suspended for the next game due to yellow card accumulations, so who gives a shit now?Bradley worked very hard to get that yellow. It's almost like he didn't want to play next week. I bet he goes with the US team now ... hmm ...

Auzzy
10-11-2014, 08:29 PM
He was going to play with the US team anyway. TFC had already announced that.

JuliquE
10-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Thing is, if he's unavailable for selection, anyway, then his suspension would be served upon his return from the USMNT.

Won't be seeing him again until next year, unless the cosmos align for us to sneak into the playoffs. *sigh*

notthesun
10-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Thing is, if he's unavailable for selection, anyway, then his suspension would be served upon his return from the USMNT.

Won't be seeing him again until next year, unless the cosmos align for us to sneak into the playoffs. *sigh*

Going with the U.S. team wasn't going to make him miss the Montreal game. He would have been in the team, so he'll be suspended for Montreal and play against New England to close out the season.

razor787
10-11-2014, 08:35 PM
If he was going to be going to the US game anyway, it's a smart move. Clears it up so that he won't be suspended during a game he would be back for.

That being said - being in the spot we're in, he really shouldn't be entertaining the idea of a friendly.

I guess it doesn't matter any more. Looking at the table, and I can't see any scenario in which we get in.

notthesun
10-11-2014, 08:36 PM
If he was going to be going to the US game anyway, it's a smart move. Clears it up so that he won't be suspended during a game he would be back for.

That being said - being in the spot we're in, he really shouldn't be entertaining the idea of a friendly.

I guess it doesn't matter any more. Looking at the table, and I can't see any scenario in which we get in.

You can't serve suspensions if you leave on international duty.

JuliquE
10-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Right; had the international scheduling mixed up, in my mind.

Suppose Montréal, at home, WOULD be the match you would choose for him to miss, if you're considering the team's best interest; of course, for the supporters, should we not make the post-season, there's no chance to see him suit up, again, until 2015.

Fort York Redcoat
10-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Yankee General leaving town...

I don't buy him excusing himself with that yellow accumulation. He was scrappy all game. That wasn't a show.

I'm more concerned about Oso

koolvid12
10-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Can players decline call ups on fifa dates?

anto7
10-13-2014, 08:48 PM
http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/10/13/jurgen-klinsmann-mls-michael-bradley-clint-dempsey-usmnt

Some interesting comments about Bradley by Klinsmann, not particularly kind ones

Yohan
10-13-2014, 08:59 PM
http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/10/13/jurgen-klinsmann-mls-michael-bradley-clint-dempsey-usmnt

Some interesting comments about Bradley by Klinsmann, not particularly kind ones
it's the truth. MLS is ok, but playing for Roma and potential Champion's League games are more competitive.

though ironic that one of best USMNT player during WC was Kyle Beckerman

BuSaPuNk
10-13-2014, 09:09 PM
it's the truth. MLS is ok, but playing for Roma and potential Champion's League games are more competitive.

though ironic that one of best USMNT player during WC was Kyle Beckerman

I would agree but it was either come to TFC and get consistent playing time or rot on the bench at Roma. Sometimes this whole Europe over everything attitude makes no sense. There's no argument that anyone could make that would indicate that playing sparingly in Europe is better the playing week in and week out in MLS.

Yohan
10-13-2014, 09:11 PM
I would agree but it was either come to TFC and get consistent playing time or rot on the bench at Roma. Sometimes this whole Europe over everything attitude makes no sense. There's no argument that anyone could make that would indicate that playing sparingly in Europe is better the playing week in and week out in MLS.
he's good enough to attract at least another mid table Serie A/EPL/Bundesliga team and play first team mins

BuSaPuNk
10-13-2014, 09:42 PM
he's good enough to attract at least another mid table Serie A/EPL/Bundesliga team and play first team mins

If it was so easy why isnt he there. He wants to play here and I think we can all see that. Klinnsman for being a former paid employee of TFC sure makes it obvious that he cares not for our club or the MLS.

I'd argue so much that its because of Klinnsman that Yedlin went to the EPL and other players have went to other places that probably arnt good for there own career.

Yohan
10-13-2014, 09:48 PM
If it was so easy why isnt he there. He wants to play here and I think we can all see that. Klinnsman for being a former paid employee of TFC sure makes it obvious that he cares not for our club or the MLS.

I'd argue so much that its because of Klinnsman that Yedlin went to the EPL and other players have went to other places that probably arnt good for there own career.
because no European club would pay Bradley 6 mil dollars per year. Bradley had reasons other than football to join TFC. I can't blame him for setting himself and his family for rest of their lives.

BuSaPuNk
10-13-2014, 09:55 PM
because no European club would pay Bradley 6 mil dollars per year. Bradley had reasons other than football to join TFC. I can't blame him for setting himself and his family for rest of their lives.

No of course not agreed it was best for him. Even playing its best for him. Better to play here then play for a lower team in Europe tbh. Hes got another almost 4 years until the next world cup and he wasn't going to get consistent playing time anywhere with that kind of salary.

Just can't stand this constant double standard when it comes to the USMNT and there players. If they don't take the leauge seriously outside of a develop leauge then a proper top leauge we will never get better as a leauge.

Yohan
10-13-2014, 10:12 PM
No of course not agreed it was best for him. Even playing its best for him. Better to play here then play for a lower team in Europe tbh. Hes got another almost 4 years until the next world cup and he wasn't going to get consistent playing time anywhere with that kind of salary.

Just can't stand this constant double standard when it comes to the USMNT and there players. If they don't take the leauge seriously outside of a develop leauge then a proper top leauge we will never get better as a leauge.
No, I think he would have found a team that would be willing to play him consistently. Not at 6 mil, but about what he made in Roma. IIRC Bradley deal was done mid Jan. He had time in Jan to sort out a move, even a loan move. Or he could have waited till June and after WC. Either way, TFC made him an offer he couldn't refuse, but that does not mean a player of his calibre couldn't find a decent Euro team that'd play him regularly.

Red CB Toronto
10-13-2014, 10:15 PM
This was all about the Benjamin's for Michael, regardless if took an offer from a mid table team top flight team in one of the big four leagues, the offer he got from the Reds was going to be unmatched. TFC simply blew everything else out of the water, knowing they had to for a deal to get done.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/10/13/usmnt-jurgen-klinsmann-says-michael-bradley-has-prove-his-worth-during-diffi

Pookie
10-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Klinsmann's comments about Toronto weren't exactly flattering either:

"I think he’s been faced with a very, very difficult year, making that decision, going from a Champions League [club] to a team, Toronto, now it seems like they’re not even going to qualify for the playoffs.

It’s a huge disappointment that comes along,” Klinsmann said. “You have to adjust yourself to whatever environment you’re in. You have to adjust to the environment he’s in with Toronto, instead of maybe an environment that plays Champions League football.

He’s going through that experience now and still coming in now for the first time since the World Cup, he has to prove that he hasn’t lost a bit."

Red4ever
10-14-2014, 08:06 AM
I think it had more to do with the fact that he wanted to be home, he wanted to help his country and he wanted to see his kids grow up here. In fact I'm almost sure I heard the latter spoken many times. But Yohan is right, he could get close to the money, he could get all of the playing time, he could get it with better competition, he just wouldn't be in North America.

and I don't blame Klinsmann either. It's true.

Phil
10-14-2014, 08:10 AM
I am sure Klinsmann loved the cheque MLSE wrote him. I am not to impressed with what his consulting company did. LOL

Red CB Toronto
10-14-2014, 09:03 AM
JK no doubt wants his players playing at the highest level possible.