PDA

View Full Version : Matchday 31: Houston at Toronto FC - Wed Oct 8 7:30 pm TSN4

Pages : [1] 2

OgtheDim
10-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Big game. Needs a big crowd. :scarf:

Probably the healthiest roster we have had in a long time.

No excuses. Win and we put pressure on Columbus, give an extra incentive to Philly for their game against the Crew and start NYRB thinking. Lose or tie and its not done but we would have to win out and get some help.

Pint
10-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Crowd may be sparse in general because of leafs game but the supporters sections should be rocking for this one. Get down early if possible and get a little liquid encouragement.

InDa_110
10-06-2014, 10:49 PM
I think this is the most important game of the year, (so far). A loss would be utterly disappointing and all but do us in, and even a tie would really hurt a chance at any momentum going into the last 3 games.

I think the FO is feeling more pressure than even the players. The huge financial investment in our DP's this year, the stadium expansion, and of course the SSH renewal drive and necessary price increase on next year's tickets all come down to making the playoffs, and that all rests on beating Houston. It will be next to impossible to win out if we lose tmrw. I think everyone knows this, and reading Phil's post from another thread that Tim B is coming to pre game at Joe's and maybe bringing Dichio with him says to me that they are pulling out all the stops to rally the supporters and get BMO rocking from before kickoff.

This is huge, this is the year, maybe not mathematically, but this is it.

Joe Kool
10-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Houston is missing a couple starting players due to international call-ups...every little bit helps.

Yohan
10-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Houston has horrid time at BMO Field. should be a win, if TFC can keep Brad Davis in check

Fort York Redcoat
10-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Crowd may be sparse in general because of leafs game but the supporters sections should be rocking for this one. Get down early if possible and get a little liquid encouragement.

It'll feel like those special CCL nights. When sellouts don't matter because those who show - know. :yesnod:

Graeme
10-07-2014, 07:52 AM
So, will we see this?

------------------Bendik---------------------
--Bloom---Caldwell--Hagglund--Morrow---
-Lovitz----Bradley---Osorio----Jackson---
----------Gilberto----Defoe---------------

I am hoping for a statement win for TFC: 3-0

daner90
10-07-2014, 08:14 AM
For me we need to have Oduro back on the wing instead of Lovitz. He was huge in the games early in the season against Houston and gives us a great change in place out there...

Walms
10-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Houston has horrid time at BMO Field. should be a win, if TFC can keep Brad Davis in check

4-2 was one of my favorite games of the year!bring in the fact that they were missing plays while we are getting players back....

I have my hopes up for this one boys and girls!!! let blow the lid off BMO

Phil
10-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Looking forward to this...the cool weather and a night game. Remember Tim B and Danny D will be popping into shoeless pre game for a bit.

Joe Kool
10-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Looking forward to this...the cool weather and a night game. Remember Tim B and Danny D will be popping into shoeless pre game for a bit.

Any idea on the timing of that at all from them? Taking the train from Ajax so would be good to have a gauge on what train to take if in fact I am able to make it down there early.

ManUtd4ever
10-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Gotta take care of business at home. The roster is healthy, and Houston isn't LA. No excuses.

dupont
10-07-2014, 09:03 AM
There is no reason that TFC shouldn't win this game. A loss here and we have no right to be in the playoffs to be honest. I am confident they can pull it off though.

FRANKIE65
10-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Damn it is killing me to miss this game. Cheer loud and proud everyone!!!!!!!!!!! The weeknight games are a bugger when you live in Woodstock!! Looks like we'll have to cheer the lads on while watching on tv:scarf:

Auzzy
10-07-2014, 10:16 AM

Ah, Brad Davis unmarked at the back post, that thought will give me nightmares...

OgtheDim
10-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Ah, Brad Davis unmarked at the back post, that thought will give me nightmares...

Which reminds me....is Bloom recovered?

Initial B
10-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Houston will be missing a couple of key players while TFC will be playing their mostly A-team with only a couple of starters resting for New York (maybe left in as subs). Houston has difficulty scoring at the best of times, so I'm guessing a 2-0 or 2-1 victory for Vanney et al. The real test will be in NY on the weekend.

OgtheDim
10-07-2014, 12:38 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 58m58 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/519527161875546114) Mark Bloom says he's fully fit and ready to play on Wednesday. #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash)

Lab Rats FC ‏@LabRatsFC (https://twitter.com/LabRatsFC) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/LabRatsFC/status/519541687496867840)
"#TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) vs. Houston Dynamo REFEREE: ARMANDO VILLARREAL AR1: Craig Lowry AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho 4TH: Silviu Petrescu"

Petruscu doing his "I'm Just Your Nice Uncle from the Carpathians" routine at BMO again.

Areathrasher
10-07-2014, 01:23 PM

http://www.torontofc.ca/march-to-the-match

Given it's opening night for the Leafs, good call to throw some free booze and food out to get a crowd

InDa_110
10-07-2014, 01:35 PM
As I was saying. F0 knows we need this win to have any hope, and they're pulling out all the stops. Nice effort.

Ajax TFC
10-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Why do they have to do this on the same night that they have the Tragically Hip playing at Yonge and Dundas? :(

InDa_110
10-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Why do they have to do this on the same night that they have the Tragically Hip playing at Yonge and Dundas? :(

Because we shit bed during the summer, and haven't clinched the playoffs yet. Or as the FO calls it. The Payoffs!

FRANKIE65
10-07-2014, 01:48 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/march-to-the-match

Given it's opening night for the Leafs, good call to throw some free booze and food out to get a crowd

Just got the email, too. Great move by Tim and Dichio! Forget marketing, money, whatever....I like to think this one is for the fans.

Yohan
10-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Marching band? what are we, seattle?

OgtheDim
10-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Pipe band?

Phil
10-07-2014, 01:57 PM

Notice I didn't really talk much about marches...good on the team to do it though. I think we will be happy having a pint and walking to the match.

However stay tuned for a march against Montreal :D

Phil
10-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Any idea on the timing of that at all from them? Taking the train from Ajax so would be good to have a gauge on what train to take if in fact I am able to make it down there early.

Sorry Joe, missed this. It was a bit confusing nailing times down. Tim B will be there early - 5:30 to 6:00, Danny is hanging around from what I understand.

Joe Kool
10-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Sorry Joe, missed this. It was a bit confusing nailing times down. Tim B will be there early - 5:30 to 6:00, Danny is hanging around from what I understand.

Thanks. I just saw the schedule and march info on the TFC website. Thought the meeting with Tim B and DD was a more intimate meet with supporters and not part of a big corporate marketing thing. I like our marches the way we do them with us leading the songs. Not sure if I want to be part of a big commercial thing now. I still may come down. Will see how it goes.

Defoe
10-07-2014, 04:14 PM
So, will we see this?

------------------Bendik---------------------
--Bloom---Caldwell--Hagglund--Morrow---
-Lovitz----Bradley---Osorio----Jackson---
----------Gilberto----Defoe---------------

I am hoping for a statement win for TFC: 3-0

Am I the only who thinks Bloom sucks? Creavalle looked very good IMO. Here's my lineup, a little out of the box.

------- Defoe - Moore --------
Gilberto - Bradley - Osorio - Jackson
Morrow - Caldwell - Hagglund - Crevale

Defoe - Moore as the strikers and Gilberto can use the wing to use his speed but not be on top of Defoe... defense looks great.

Yohan
10-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Am I the only who thinks Bloom sucks? Creavalle looked very good IMO. Here's my lineup, a little out of the box.

------- Defoe - Moore --------
Gilberto - Bradley - Osorio - Jackson
Morrow - Caldwell - Hagglund - Crevale

Defoe - Moore as the strikers and Gilberto can use the wing to use his speed but not be on top of Defoe... defense looks great.
Bloom is good for a 48k player. He can cross, even if his positioning is suspect at times.

Creavalle is an athlete, and don't expect much from him technically (and he costs more than Bloom)

Why play Gilberto at LM? not his position

AdamAM
10-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone have 2 tickets to the game? Preferably supporters section... no work and an important game means I don't want to miss this :) Cheers

Yohan
10-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone have 2 tickets to the game? Preferably supporters section... no work and an important game means I don't want to miss this :) Cheers
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?35613-10-8-7-30pm-TFC-vs-Houston-Dynamo-Tickets-for-Sale

OgtheDim
10-07-2014, 05:58 PM
That march is on 24 hours from now.

Who's bringing the torches?

Gonna be dark.

TFCAURORA
10-07-2014, 07:00 PM
This is a huge game. As much as I like Bekker and lovitz, vanney needs to play his experienced players for this one. Sorry to say, but Bekker and lovitz were way in over their heads against LA.

Cuppy
10-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Holy shit hockey season starts on Wednesday and we are still talking TFC and a chance for playoffs. I can get used to this. While the majority of the city will wake up dawning their blue and white I will be red till I'm dead.
see u all at BMO
COYR

notthesun
10-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Houston are missing a couple key guys and we have a full roster, essentially.

I have a good feeling about tomorrow. I think we're going to wreck them. I'm predicting 5-1.

OgtheDim
10-07-2014, 08:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQRDHvwuoZM&index=3&list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pn GJOO0Dw

Looking one of Bloom or Crevalle sparing each other off these two games. Same with Gilberto/Moore who will likely pair with Defoe.

I'm thinking it will be

Bendik

Bloom Hagglund Caldwell Morrow

Jackson Osorio Bradley Oduro

Defoe Gilberto

Lovitz and Moore to start against NYRB, and maybe DeRo.

WestStandGeoff
10-07-2014, 08:57 PM
This is a huge game. As much as I like Bekker and lovitz, vanney needs to play his experienced players for this one. Sorry to say, but Bekker and lovitz were way in over their heads against LA.

While I don't totally disagree with what you're saying, I don't know if we want to put out the full "A" team tomorrow. We still have an equally huge away match Saturday against NY energy drinks, who are ahead of us in the standings. We definitely need to best squad out for that, so I'm fine if a couple of the backups get some time tomorrow, maybe finishing the last 30 minutes with the choice 11.

Yohan
10-07-2014, 09:12 PM
While I don't totally disagree with what you're saying, I don't know if we want to put out the full "A" team tomorrow. We still have an equally huge away match Saturday against NY energy drinks, who are ahead of us in the standings. We definitely need to best squad out for that, so I'm fine if a couple of the backups get some time tomorrow, maybe finishing the last 30 minutes with the choice 11.
I think you do whatever you can to maximize points esp at home. Play not your best team and if you don't end up getting the 3 pts, you look dumb

WestStandGeoff
10-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Like I said, I don't totally disagree. I'm just looking at it from the perspective that we have a home game against a team that's behind us in the standings, 2-2-11 on the road and who are playing their 2nd away match in 5 days. 3 days later we are away to a team we're chasing for a playoff spot, who are strong at home. I'd just hate to throw too much at Houston then get run over in New Jersey.

InDa_110
10-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Like I said, I don't totally disagree. I'm just looking at it from the perspective that we have a home game against a team that's behind us in the standings, 2-2-11 on the road and who are playing their 2nd away match in 5 days. 3 days later we are away to a team we're chasing for a playoff spot, who are strong at home. I'd just hate to throw too much at Houston then get run over in New Jersey.

If we don't get 3 points tmrw, we're more likely to get run over because of the deflating kick in the nuts it will be. I'd rather be 3 points closer to NY in the standings come the weekend than rest anyone, and come away with less than a win tmrw. This is the game in hand and not to maximize it by throwing everything we have would be foolish and probably spell the end of the year. Beyond the weekend, Montreal would love to Fuck us if they can, and New England will want to make sure they finish as high as possible. Nothing is more important than 3 points tmrw. Then think about NY

Defoe
10-07-2014, 10:58 PM
If we don't get 3 points tmrw, we're more likely to get run over because of the deflating kick in the nuts it will be. I'd rather be 3 points closer to NY in the standings come the weekend than rest anyone, and come away with less than a win tmrw. This is the game in hand and not to maximize it by throwing everything we have would be foolish and probably spell the end of the year. Beyond the weekend, Montreal would love to Fuck us if they can, and New England will want to make sure they finish as high as possible. Nothing is more important than 3 points tmrw. Then think about NY

This

and if we go up big early, say 3-0 - sub off Bradley, Defoe and Caldwell

daner90
10-07-2014, 11:14 PM
I'll just leave this here.......

9YGP1k3mYG4

Cashcleaner
10-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Tomorrow the weather is gonna be chilly, wet, and dark. Houston has been enjoying highs of 26 to 32 degrees over the past few days with clear skies. The Dynamo is also pretty much playing spoilers at this time in the season. They're still in playoff contention, mathematically, but realistically the team is starting to look ahead to 2015. They're also gonna be missing three players; Garrido, Garcia, and Taylor. TFC, on the other hand, is still in the postseason race and playing at home with a healthy squad.

Advantage: Toronto.

Brooker
10-08-2014, 03:08 AM
Tomorrow the weather is gonna be chilly, wet, and dark. Houston has been enjoying highs of 26 to 32 degrees over the past few days with clear skies. The Dynamo is also pretty much playing spoilers at this time in the season. They're still in playoff contention, mathematically, but realistically the team is starting to look ahead to 2015. They're also gonna be missing three players; Garrido, Garcia, and Taylor. TFC, on the other hand, is still in the postseason race and playing at home with a healthy squad.

Feels like 5

:drunk:

TFC1154ever
10-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Refs for tonights game. Toronto FC vs. Houston Dynamo
BMO Field (7:30 pm ET)
REFEREE: ARMANDO VILLARREAL
AR1: Craig Lowry
AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
4TH: Silviu Petrescu

Oldtimer
10-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Toronto should win this one.

WestStandGeoff
10-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Do we know that Houston went back home to Texas after playing in New Jersey Saturday night? It's a 4 hour flight, then another 4 hour flight to Toronto, so I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed in the northeast and saved on a lot of travel time.

pdubs
10-08-2014, 11:04 AM
i am so nervous lol.

trane
10-08-2014, 01:03 PM
I kept quite , because not only was I disappointed with the result. But was also disappointed with the comment that it was not a must win game. All the remaining games until we are in are must wins, we must approach them as such. If we do not we will not get in.

Having said that, we must and should win tonight.

Cashcleaner
10-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Do we know that Houston went back home to Texas after playing in New Jersey Saturday night? It's a 4 hour flight, then another 4 hour flight to Toronto, so I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed in the northeast and saved on a lot of travel time.

Hmmm, according to TFC's match preview, you might be right with that. The interviewer alludes that Houston will be on a much shorter flight than we were from LA.

Cashcleaner
10-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Well I'm off to catch the train. See you guys at Shoeless!

jloome
10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
i am so nervous lol.

You should be. Houston is still technically alive; they'll be fighting tonight like it's the Alamo and we're Santa Ana's troops.

lobo
10-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Big game. Gotta win!
This is our game in hand, we MUST get 3 pts tonight. Hitting the highway, see ya all there.

Ultra & Proud
10-08-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm getting one of those Red Bulls Oct 2009 feelings going on.

One thing I have rarely seen from any past or present incarnation of TFC is the ability to not melt down when matches matter most. Hope I am wrong but all this
'should win' talk makes this seem like too big an opportunity for fate to drive that dagger a little deeper in all our hearts.

OgtheDim
10-08-2014, 02:34 PM
I doubt anybody on that squad who went through that Houston game earlier this season, or the Portland game, is going to take this game for granted.

Houston isn't going to lie down.

But this version of TFC is not going to turtle at the first sign of adversity.

Detroit_TFC
10-08-2014, 02:44 PM

One thing I have rarely seen from any past or present incarnation of TFC is the ability to not melt down when matches matter most. Hope I am wrong but all this
'should win' talk makes this seem like too big an opportunity for fate to drive that dagger a little deeper in all our hearts.

Not this game. October 18? That game.

Canary10
10-08-2014, 02:48 PM

Yeah, I agree. I really effing hope not but it's hard not to feel like that. My gut is telling me Defoe has a cracker tonight though.

Derko
10-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I agree. I really effing hope not but it's hard not to feel like that. My gut is telling me Defoe has a cracker tonight though.

Maybe 2

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Anywhere online. Tha I can watch the game tonight. I'm over in Glasgow and am a bit jet lagged - would like to watch it.

CBTFC
10-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Anywhere online. Tha I can watch the game tonight. I'm over in Glasgow and am a bit jet lagged - would like to watch it.

http://goatd.net/

notthesun
10-08-2014, 05:29 PM

I will post a link near game time that you can copy and paste into VLC to watch the MLS LIVE stream in high quality.

notthesun
10-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Starting XI just tweeted.

Bendik; Bloom, Hagglund, Caldwell, Morrow; Jackson, Bekker, Bradley, Osorio; Moore, Defoe

I'm confused. Didn't Vanney just talk about having Osorio and Bradley in the middle? What gives? Gilberto on the bench due to fitness concerns I'm sure.

Richard
10-08-2014, 05:46 PM
So does Gilberto have an injury or what? If not then it only cements the fact that Defoe and him cant get along. We need the entire A team out there.

notthesun
10-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Wow Gilberto not even on the bench. wtf

0bl1vious
10-08-2014, 05:53 PM
HD VLC Stream

http://nlds39.cdnak.neulion.com/nlds/mls/torontofc/as/live/torontofc_hd_4500.m3u8

Replace '4500' in the stream URL to suit your connection speed

OgtheDim
10-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Eff the drama.

Time to just win.

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Great - thanks ...much appreciated.

Lumpy
10-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Some bullshit going on. 5 minutes into broadcast and no mention of Gilberto not dressing.

Upated. 11 minutes in they mentioned it. Suggested they are saving him for Saturday.

Qman
10-08-2014, 06:45 PM
wow. their is no one here tonite. my section is almost empty. lots of empty seats in southend too.

notthesun
10-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Every time Defoe does anything more than walk I get a sinking feeling in my stomach that he's gonna tear his hammy and crumple into a heap on the pitch.

mowe
10-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Why didn't Bloom put a cross in?

notthesun
10-08-2014, 06:56 PM
We are way too open at the back. Bendik just saved our skin.

Qman
10-08-2014, 07:00 PM
were fighting for our playoff lives ... and their is like 7000 here

Richard
10-08-2014, 07:02 PM
HD VLC Stream

http://nlds39.cdnak.neulion.com/nlds/mls/torontofc/as/live/torontofc_hd_4500.m3u8

How are these being hosted?

Qman
10-08-2014, 07:02 PM
great play by houston CB, defoe has 5m on him at the start of that run. Defoe could've chipped it ... probably thought the CB couldn't catch him

Yohan
10-08-2014, 07:04 PM
great play by houston CB, defoe has 5m on him at the start of that run. Defoe could've chipped it ... probably thought the CB couldn't catch him
DaMarcus Beasley at LB

Qman
10-08-2014, 07:06 PM
DaMarcus Beasley at LB

yeah, sorry your right. That was a hell of a play

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Jermain is fucking selfish. At least he's active - maybe he can put something in.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:08 PM
As I say that he almost scores lol!

Qman
10-08-2014, 07:08 PM
if they are not going to close down defoe at top of 18 .. why even make the trip here, just mail the 3pts.

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Jermain is fucking [b]selfish[\b]. At least he's active - maybe he can put something in.
A good, pure striker is typically. It's not like these guys like to share the ball and MLS'ers rarely provide that option.

Yohan
Hagglund got bitched out by Barnes.

Richard
Wow what a late offside.

Qman
that was terrible !!!!!!!!!!!

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Props to everyone who's out there watching and cheering on the boys. BMO is actually quite (and surprisingly) loud tonight.

Qman
Can't wait for the roof !!!! F*** its wet!

mowe
Hagglund slips and we're down a goal. TFC need to wake up fast.

notthesun
10-08-2014, 07:16 PM
I said at halftime in the Portland game that it wouldn't be Hagglund's last mistake of the season.

It's time to go with Henry again.

Unlike last match vs. LA, we are not out of this by any means.

trane
10-08-2014, 07:16 PM
WTF?????????

nonc
10-08-2014, 07:17 PM
They are awful without Gilberto. The amount of times TFC back pass from the offensive half all the way back to Bendik just so he can hoof away possession is sickening, I mean you may as well try and take a chance with a pass from that advanced position. And maybe I saw wrong but wasn't that a blatant back pass the Dynamo keeper picked up right before goal??

trane
10-08-2014, 07:17 PM
I have like Hagaland. But that was one shit cb play. If you are going tight on the man you better not fall over like a rag doll.

notthesun
10-08-2014, 07:18 PM
I can fucking hear Kinnear from the broadcast. "GET OUTTT! GET OUT!" Every time Houston has the ball in their third.

Houston is going to bunker like they're in a war for the rest of the game. We can win this.

Qman
10-08-2014, 07:20 PM
2 f***ing chances. no finish.

Still have a good feeling were going to put up goals tonight with all these chances.

trane
10-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Is hagland's plan to fall over when Barnes approaches him?

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Class move by Houston after Morrow went down. Could have easily kept playing given the position on the pitch.

trane
10-08-2014, 07:26 PM
What the fuck is it with Bekker can he not jump on loose balls??? Several times I have seen balls around him that he did not even try to jump on.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:27 PM
We have a lot of work to do but it's not over by a long shot. Gotta give some serious credit to Bendik though - we could have been another two goals down if it wasn't for some crucial saves.

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 07:28 PM
HD VLC Stream

Feed is great - thanks you area lif saver. Now about the....match:facepalm:

Eastend
Just not impressive at all from TFC. Maybe they don't want to play in the rain.

Dom

PLUS - BECKER IS JUST NOT A GOOD PLAYER. What I see is a player with no desire. Ball watches.

Richard
Dero needs to come on in the second half. It sure would be nice to have Gilberto eh, wtf is up with that.

Eastend
10-08-2014, 07:29 PM
What the fuck is it with Bekker can he not jump on loose balls??? Several times I have seen balls around him that he did not even try to jump on.

How do you favourite in here? *

CBTFC
10-08-2014, 07:33 PM
At this point, we don't deserve to win this game and we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

I hope I'm proved wrong. But I don't think I will be.

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Yeah... As far as Gilberto goes you have to suspect this is one of those times where the truth is being obscured.

Yohan
10-08-2014, 07:36 PM
gotta stop coughing up the first goal. and time to change the studs, Hagglund

jloome
10-08-2014, 07:38 PM
At this point, we don't deserve to win this game and we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

I hope I'm proved wrong. But I don't think I will be.

A few things I've noticed:

1. Luke Moore's off the ball workrate and attitude are lousy. There was a story Burnley tried to buy him and we turned them down; could be why.
2. There were suggestions people think Bradley is a hard-ass. That doesn't bode well and might be why they spent Nelsen's last game actually passing around him in the second half.
3. It seems suspicious that much of this started right after "the incident" between Gilberto and Defoe and then tonight GIlberto doesn't even make the bench.
4. Bekker's coasting on technique, not work effort or read of the game.
5. Hagglund is too young and naive to start this important a game, even if he scored two last time. Rookie mistake by Vanney, although he may have looked at Henry or Orr as no step up.

My conclusion is that along with the obvious crap coaching by Nelsen et al, we have locker room chemistry problems again, primadonnas etc.

Kind of like Vanney and what he's trying.

ag futbol
I have like Hagaland. But that was one shit cb play. If you are going tight on the man you better not fall over like a rag doll.
We have to stop being a CB training centre. These guys can get up to speed in USL-1. So far out patience has not been rewarded.

Yohan
Yeah... As far as Gilberto goes you have to suspect this is one of those times where the truth is being obscured.
either Gilberto or Defoe is gone in Jan

Lumpy
10-08-2014, 07:39 PM

He never goes for a 50/50 ball. Has the cleanest uniform after each game.

Richard
10-08-2014, 07:41 PM
either Gilberto or Defoe is gone in Jan

You know this is so fucking ridiculous. Like I want to personally go and slap each of them for being such children. Mainly Defoe because he acts like c....(fill in the blank).

jloome
10-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Embarrassing how empty the place is tonight. A game up against the Leafs' opener; what were they thinking.

Lumpy
10-08-2014, 07:43 PM

He said he was ready to go yesterday if the coach wanted him to play.

http://www.footytube.com/video/gilberto-october-7-2014-304767

notthesun
10-08-2014, 07:43 PM
What the FUCK are we doing at the back today, holy shit get it together

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 07:45 PM
We are getting whupped...

Yohan
10-08-2014, 07:45 PM
good things will happen if Defoe gets to run at not so mobile Houston CBs 1v1

but for the love of God don't throw crosses in the air when Houston CBs are set in defence

mowe
10-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Holy shit Bradley's delivery has been awful tonight.

Yohan
10-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Gilberto injury or Gilberto 'injury'...

notthesun
10-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Hagglund.......

Ball-playing CB in the offseason please

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Embarrassing how empty the place is tonight. A game up against the Leafs' opener; what were they thinking.

At least 112 is loud. You can actually hear all the chants crisply.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Thank you!

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Thank you for the proper call, finally!

jloome
10-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Thank you, Jeebus.

Deliberate denial of a chance to score, last man. That's why.

mowe
10-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Finally a penalty. Justice! And a red too, that's good.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:54 PM
My palms are sweaty.

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 07:55 PM
What a lame (and totally transparent) attempt to waste as much time as possible. He should be flashing yellows to get them to hurry the fuck up.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Knew it. Defoe goes to the right of the keeper every fucking time.

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Jackson's was a clear penalty as well.

jloome
I refuse to believe this is fate.

Kaz
Is Defoe throwing the match? I mean I could have stopped that he telegraphed where he was shooting.

Richard
10-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Hahah fuck this.

notthesun
We are cursed. There's no denying it anymore.

Fuck Kinnear and his bullshit time wasting substitution to kill even more time before Defoe could shoot

Blixa
We're cursed.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Prior to the kick, I literally said, "Defoe is going to the right of the keeper. Just please get it in."

Blixa
10-08-2014, 07:58 PM
We could field Messi and Ronaldo and we still would not make the playoffs.

Eastend
10-08-2014, 07:59 PM

I'm more embarrassed about the play of our "beloved" club. They're getting the live crowd they deserve tonight.

Dom

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Beautiful vision and ball from Bradley and a great effort by Moore. Too bad it hit the damn post.

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Jermaine Defoe has never been on a team that has won anything...as Professional at least.

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 08:01 PM
What the hell is Oduro going to do against a team that is packing the box and defending? With no space to run into he is a headless chicken running flat into a wall.

Although, with Bekker coming out....

mowe
30 minutes to score 2 goals and salvage the season. We need to put in Dero for Bekker.

Mark TFC
Seriously... we have to score!

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 08:02 PM
How do you mis the net ...on that?

mowe
10-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Morrow has no right foot.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:03 PM
On a lighter note, why do we wear blacks at home? We should always be wearing the Red!

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Morrow has no right foot.

And Defoe never uses his left. His cutting-in is so predictable.

jloome
10-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Tyler Derek: the lovechild of Will Forte and David De Gea

notthesun
10-08-2014, 08:06 PM
This shit is fucking ridiculous man. Forget the mistake leading to their goal, we could have 3 or 4. How do you chalk this up to anything other than terrible fucking luck

Also fuck this ref for chatting with his official for like 5 minutes and then allowing Houston to make a sub before the PK. Defoe had to take it like 10 minutes after the call was made, absolutely ludicrous

jloome
I'm more embarrassed about the play of our "beloved" club. They're getting the live crowd they deserve tonight.

Dom

A fair point, but we're talking one of the largest metro areas in the world. Surely Toronto can fill two venues on one night when the team most needs it?

I think maybe we're at the point (perhaps fairly) where a team fighting for a last playoff spot isn't good enough for a major city.

Mark TFC
What the fuck do we have to do to score?!

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:08 PM
This shit is fucking ridiculous man. Forget the mistake leading to their goal, we could have 3 or 4. How do you chalk this up to anything other than terrible fucking luck

Also fuck this ref for chatting with his official for like 5 minutes and then allowing Houston to make a sub before the PK. Defoe had to take it like 10 minutes after the call was made, absolutely ludicrous

We definitely deserve a few goals. We've been playing well enough - this half, at least.

And agreed on the subs as well. Took the momentum right out of that moment.

mowe
I think the players have lost all confidence.

Mark TFC
Twenty minutes to make it happen. Come on, boys!

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Kudos to the supporters for staying loud all match!

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Houston has been lucky, straight up. Shitty reffing - really shitty.

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Don't deserve the play offs if we can't win this,

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Yes, DeRo coming on!

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Don't deserve the play offs if we can't win this,

Dude, we should be winning this. We hit the post and had two or three obvious fouls go uncalled. I think we've stepped it up this half - and it just hasn't hit the back of the net yet.

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Bloom is having a night mare of a match.

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Dude, we should be winning this. We hit the post and had two or three obvious fouls go uncalled. I think we've stepped it up this half - and it just hasn't hit the back of the net yet.
10 men+ for over 30 minutes... shouldn't be any excuses

Lumpy
10-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Dero has done nothing all year. Time to earn his keep.

Blixa
10-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Jesus.. Defoe just missed a sitter.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Defoe has to hit the goddam net!

RealG-TFC
10-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Its as if he's missing on purpose...

mowe
Yup. Fuck this game.

Hamilton_Red
Is that in Lake Ontario?

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:24 PM
How was that not called?

notthesun
10 men+ for over 30 minutes... shouldn't be any excuses

As Defoe skies a glorious chance... it's not an excuse so much as an acknowledgement that there isn't much to say after a game like this. We've probably created the most chances of any game this season. What do you say after missing a penalty, hitting the post, having many other glorious chances...

I think Vanney made some mistakes with the lineup but I look at the whole of the game and I don't know what to do other than shrug.

Mark TFC
Please, boys... at least a point!

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:28 PM
7 minutes. Let's fucking do this!

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Not close to being good enough. Huston's third away win if the year. 10 men for 30+ minutes - mid week...against a team below us. ...7 minutes...come on please!

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Bradley's set piece delivery has been off all night.

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 08:33 PM
All season really...he shouldn't be taking them really.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Caldwell - King of the Backpass

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Shameful. Baring some miracles, that was the end of TFC's playoff chances.

Morlesio14
Fuck

Defoe
terrible

Hope you enjoyed your time Vanney, because You don't deserve to be back. This was a must win... and you did not field the best team. Bloom? Bekker? What a joke.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Well, that's a tough one to swallow. If we fail to make the playoffs I'll be blaming it on this match, not even the Chicago match. But I mean, come on, we deserved fucking SOMETHING tonight!

notthesun
I don't fucking know what to say. We are simply not destined to make the playoffs.

Play this exact game over but re-roll every chance (for both teams) and we win 3-1 or 4-2.

I don't think I can stomach watching another game this season. Fuck this, fuck this, fuck this

Eastend
Still not good enough. So, so unfortunate for the supporters of this SHITTY club.

Mark TFC
We deserved a point tonight, even the win. It didn't happen and I won't blame the boys for it.

Hamilton_Red
That's the season right there. No where near being a play off team.

JuliquE
10-08-2014, 08:37 PM
In the last maybe 8 seconds or so, give or take, we managed at least three back-passes/throws (as from touch) -- says it all, really.

SoccMan2
It's over 8 seasons and counting, incredible!

Eastend
Well, that's a tough one to swallow. If we fail to make the playoffs I'll be blaming it on this match, not even the Chicago match. But I mean, come on, we deserved fucking SOMETHING tonight!

Some games I agree, we deserve better. Today, I truly feel we got what we deserved. Just not good enough. So sad.

Lumpy
10-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Where is Gilberto Grape ????

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Still not good enough. So, so unfortunate for the supporters of this SHITTY club.

Leave. You're a sorry ass supporter. Tonight was a good showing, and a great showing in the second. We deserved the points but it didn't happen. I think most people are disappointed in what could have been. You're just shitting on the team without acknowledging the legitimate effort we put in. It's not like we rolled the fuck over and quit - because we didn't.

Mark TFC
10-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Fuck, we deserved the 3 points.

cmonyoureds
10-08-2014, 08:40 PM
That was not the performance of a team that will make the playoffs.
Houston missing two to internationals, one to injury, and down to 10 men since 55 minutes.
F*** me. If Nelson was still here we'd say they weren't playing for him. What do we say now Vanney is in charge?
Guess it's not such a bloody big deal after all.

trane
10-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Until we learn to defend and hunker down, making BMO a fortress, we will not be a winning team.

CBTFC
10-08-2014, 08:42 PM
That was not the performance of a team that will make the playoffs.

I concur. Sorry, we did NOT deserve the 3 points there.

Whoever thinks we did is clearly hopped up on the kool aid.

QBall
Disappointing result however IT'S...NOT...OVER. Three games left and three points behind. New Jersey and Montreal are beatable. Columbus is sliding. We can do this. Have faith.

notthesun
This ref was pathetic with subtle decisions and game management. Allows 10 minutes to pass before Defoe can take his penalty. Awards 7 minutes of stoppage, Houstons makes 2 subs in extra time, and he only adds 14 seconds after the 7 minutes is up. And no I'm not blaming the ref for the loss, I blame fate.

We need a miracle now. I don't think I'm going to watch another game for the rest of the season.

tfcleeds
10-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Turns out you weren't wrong. :(. Absolutely gutted. Barring a miracle, roll on 2015 I guess. 8 years and counting. This season started off with so much promise, and has now gone to shite.

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 08:43 PM
We would have lost by more if no for the red card. The supporting cast isn't close to being good enough...most of my U18 team have better touch than Dominic Oduro... and Bloom running up the wing and giving the ball up time and time again. Jackson?

Not to mention the so called DP's. ..you get big money to deliver in big games. Defoe has no ambition to win..suppose that is why he came here in the first place. bradley..after his early season injury and the WC...hasn't looked the same.

Blixa
10-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Vanney needs to go. We need a real coach with experience.

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Disappointing result however IT'S...NOT...OVER. Three games left and three points behind. New Jersey and Montreal are beatable. Columbus is sliding. We can do this. Have faith.

Not a chance..I doubt we will a single game remaining.

cmonyoureds
10-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Leave. You're a sorry ass supporter. Tonight was a good showing, and a great showing in the second. We deserved the points but it didn't happen. I think most people are disappointed in what could have been. You're just shitting on the team without acknowledging the legitimate effort we put in. It's not like we rolled the fuck over and quit - because we didn't.

No, I disagree.
We pressed against a team with 10 men, missing two internationals, and came away with NOTHING.

And careful who you call sorry ass supporter. I don't know Eastend personally at all, but I know he's been here a long long time supporting this team.

portu
10-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Bringing the "Vanney/Defoe out" banner next game boys?

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Until we learn to defend and hunker down, making BMO a fortress, we will not be a winning team.
When you can't even break down 10 men consistently, I'm not sure I would look at defending first.

Defending is 10x as difficult when nobody respects your ability to attack.

QBall
Not a chance..I doubt we will a single game remaining.

Listen carefully. Do you hear that? No? Do you know why? Because the fat lady ain't singing. This can be done and it will be done. #redfaith

Eastend

Relax dude. I've been here since day 1 and as much a supporter and promoter of this club as anyone. Sometimes you have to call it for what it is. Yes we were better in 2nd half, but we were up a guy for 30+ minutes so you expext to control the game....and Houston just sat back and just kept clearing it out. I'll be here next game and the one after that too and if they're not playing up I'll say it, and if they're playing great I'll say it too.

Dom

Suds
10-08-2014, 08:50 PM
No, I disagree.
We pressed against a team with 10 men, missing two internationals, and came away with NOTHING.

And careful who you call sorry ass supporter. I don't know Eastend personally at all, but I know he's been here a long long time supporting this team.

A more realistic take on the game for sure.

Yohan
10-08-2014, 08:51 PM
I think Vanney has potential to be a good coach, but he sucked with tactics again.

why start Bekker in a 4-4-2? Bekker is a liability on defence. I don't care that Bekker can pass when there is no pressure on him. pretty much everyone can make that pass. but he's so terrible and lack the balls to challenge for the ball and zero clue on positioning on defence. Bradley can't cover 2 jobs on defence.
Playing Bekker in middle forced Osorio wide where he's not so effective. At least Osorio can track back.

Then Vanney subs out Bekker, but brings in Oduro. Houston parked the bus after the red card to Cochran, and dropped deep, denying Oduro the space to run, which is about his only positive attribute. More technical player like DeRo or Lovitz, who can pass on the ground to breakdown Houston was needed.

Then there is just launching crosses into Houston centre where they have 2 tall CBs who wins air battles, esp vs Defoe and Moore who aren't great in the air. Esp when Houston defence is set and not on the counter. And why does TFC keep coughing up the first goal?

Yeah, TFC should have gotten something, esp considering Defoe shit the bed huge. But I feel TFC is paying the price for a rookie coach on his on the job training again.

If TFC doesn't make the playoffs again, fire Vanney and Tim Bezbatchenko.

Houston was missing 3 starters, Garrido, Garcia and Taylor. No excuse acceptable

notthesun
10-08-2014, 08:52 PM
62% possession, 81% passing accuracy, 26 attempts on goal and 8 on target, 8 corners.

Defoe scores the penalty and his wide open chance, we're all talking about how we took the game to Houston in the 2nd half, our character and grit, and that we deserved the 3 points.

We weren't supposed to win today, that's it.

Richard
10-08-2014, 08:55 PM
I just hope some of the reporters have the guts to ask why Gilberto was "rested" in a must win game.

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 08:58 PM
I think Vanney has potential to be a good coach,
Yeah, no disagreement there. I'd say the same thing about Nelsen when he walked in the door. Even though he's gone at this point... he may still figure it out some day. But I think we all agree that when it comes to coaches and CBs at this club you just have to perform right away. No more learning allowances.

If MLS / TFC want to shove another rookie coach down our throat, they can do it on their own dime.

SoccMan2
10-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Empty stadium, low TV ratings and a franchise that will in all likelihood not make the playoffs for the 8th season in a row, a club that since its inception 8 years a go has never made the playoffs. This franchise is dying MLSE better get the Argos into BMO as soon as possible because it's not going to be TFC games that will be filling the renovated 30,000 seat BMO Field next year.

OgtheDim
10-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Crap refereeing. Cruddy defence. Nobody but Osorio and Defoe moving off the ball. Oduro was useless.

Not good enough........

Yet.

Better than we were a year ago but not good enough yet.

OgtheDim
10-08-2014, 09:08 PM
And any goal that goes between the keeper's legs is saveable.

Hamilton_Red
10-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Yep Bendik looked bad on the goal. I can't help but think the whole Ceaser sideshow was not good for Bendik in the least. He seems like no more than a decent back-up keeper now.

Qman
10-08-2014, 09:12 PM
F*** defoe ... how many chances do you need.
F*** the 15000 empty seats for a must win game.
F*** effort against 10 men.
F*** this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pdubs
10-08-2014, 09:15 PM
I wanted to kill the ref. even some horrible calls against Houston. Aamateur hour out there.

Defoe needs to net that shit. No excuses.

Is it over? Idk we need to win against New York. If we manage that technically there is a chance.

I don't think we played bad today but idk. We need results. It is so frustrating.

mowe
10-08-2014, 09:16 PM
What a shitty night. I really thought this was our year. Couldn't even beat Houston at home up a man for 40 minutes. I've liked what Vanney has done but tonight not putting Osorio in the middle was a mistake.

Bekker played with zero urgency. Bloom was shit. Bradley couldn't take set pieces. Defoe missed sitters.

Now we need to win out.

pdubs
10-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Bekker was more worried about his hair gel in the rain then urgency. I hate Osorio out wide . He needs to be in the hole.

We also need more movement. Players looked like pylons on throw ins. Fuck.

notthesun
10-08-2014, 09:19 PM
by the way DeRo's movement on Defoe's open chance was stunning. I think he dragged 3 players with him to open up the space.

Fuck you Defoe. Chokes in our biggest game and is probably the reason Gilberto wasn't in the team. Sell him for a bag of peanuts in January for all I care.

JayMolly
10-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Empty stadium, low TV ratings and a franchise that will in all likelihood not make the playoffs for the 8th season in a row, a club that since its inception 8 years a go has never made the playoffs. This franchise is dying MLSE better get the Argos into BMO as soon as possible because it's not going to be TFC games that will be filling the renovated 30,000 seat BMO Field next year.

Only three games left. We know it is not over until it is over, BUT, a must win is a MUST WIN!
Wasn't a promise made this year? We will make the playoffs . . . Wasn't this to be a 'bloody BIG deal' for Toronto?
For all of those TFC ssh that went to the Leaf Game - how did you enjoy your game?

TorontoFC11
10-08-2014, 09:23 PM
How does Bekker continue to get minute let a lone start such a crucial game for us? I did not remember him deliver a positive pass that created a chance for us. sorry to say but that guy need to go.

FRANKIE65
10-08-2014, 09:25 PM
I still believe this team never gelled. Too many changes in the roster throughout the year. Just as they were coming together Gilberto is out of the line up.
They never became a TEAM.
Three games left, we're in miracle territory now.
Stadium expansion, and, people are giving away tickets today...I believe this team has some good building blocks, but, trying to buy a championship has to stop.
That said, I'll still be cheering them on Saturday, cause that is what we do.

Pookie
10-08-2014, 09:34 PM
A fair point, but we're talking one of the largest metro areas in the world. Surely Toronto can fill two venues on one night when the team most needs it?

I think maybe we're at the point (perhaps fairly) where a team fighting for a last playoff spot isn't good enough for a major city.

I think it has more to do with MLS than anything but you raise an interesting point about the last playoff spot.

I seriously wonder what the crowd would be like for a TFC playoff game (4 vs 5) on a cold miserable day in late October.

Would it be full? Would it be full prior to the kick off? Would the city get behind it like the Raptors of last year?

Or would it be niched, like when the Rock won their championships? Exciting for the diehards but largely unnoticed in general?

I have no idea where this demand for 30,000 seats is going to come from.

Initial B
10-08-2014, 09:36 PM
If TFC doesn't make the playoffs again, fire Vanney and Tim Bezbatchenko.

*sigh*

By all means, let's go for a ninth coach in 9 years. Does anybody really think it will make a difference with this club? MLS' Armchair Analyst said that the one thing TFC needs is stability. The club identity seems to be nothing but constant change. I'm willing to give Vanney and Bez another year and time to build upon the current core players.

They are not out of the playoffs yet. They simply have to win their next three games. A tie or a loss and they're done for the season.

Still Lieweke needs a plan B for if they don't make the playoffs. He guaranteed they would ("Write it down") and now he is going to have to take accountability and let the fans know what they would get if the guarantee wasn't achieved. I wish that someone at that presentation where TL made those comments put him up to a $20,000 bet on whether they would make the playoffs or not...

There's an idea: Someone needs to create a ["Playoffs... Write It Down" - Lieweke] Tifo and raise it at the last home game.

Yohan
10-08-2014, 09:39 PM
*sigh*

By all means, let's go for a ninth coach in 9 years. Does anybody really think it will make a difference with this club? MLS' Armchair Analyst said that the one thing TFC needs is stability. The club identity seems to be nothing but constant change. I'm willing to give Vanney and Bez another year and time to build upon the current core players.

They are not out of the playoffs yet. They simply have to win their next three games. A tie or a loss and they're done for the season.

Still Lieweke needs a plan B for if they don't make the playoffs. He guaranteed they would ("Write it down") and now he is going to have to take accountability and let the fans know what they would get if the guarantee wasn't achieved. I wish that someone at that presentation where TL made those comments put him up to a $20,000 bet on whether they would make the playoffs or not...
I don't have the patience for Greg Vanney or Tim B, who I think will be very good coach and GMs in MLS to learn on the job. Especially Tim B who made the call to fire Nelsen, but doesn't deliver playoffs. (if)

ensco
It was the ballboys.

Nerepis
The Oduro sub was like taking a hammer out of your toolbox when you really need a screwdriver. Dero should have been in earlier. Bekker... nuff said. The Ref was shite but their keeper stood on his head and the football gods appeared to be against us. Some days games go like that but if we would have taken care of business when we had 3 games in hand in a playoff position...

Pookie
There's a chance for playoffs.

Win all games and Columbus wins 2 of 3. TFC would get the tiebreaker. In.

No reason to give up hope.

That said, if you are a "table champion" fan it is clear that this team is no where near deserving of the title of league's best. Not even in the conversation.

If Gilberto is out because Defoe is in... wow... There is so much wrong with that we have to assume that it just isn't a possibility. I am going with Gilberto is injured as the explanation.

ensco
10-08-2014, 09:43 PM
“The sense of unhappiness is so much easier to convey than that of happiness. In misery we seem aware of our own existence, even though it may be in the form of a monstrous egotism: this pain of mine is individual, this nerve that winces belongs to me and to no other. But happiness annihilates us: we lose our identity.”
― Graham Greene (https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2533.Graham_Greene), The End of the Affair (https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/267229)

So we have that.

molenshtain
10-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Man, so much to say about tonight but I think collectively everyone has already said what I have to say on tonight's game. It's just so frustrating.

I'd also just like to give a big thank you to everyone in 112 and 113 tonight for making my first experience down in the bunker a special one, despite the game. I sang my goddamn heart-out with a buddy of mine at the top of 112 and bar the trip to MTL last year for the opener it was probably my best experience at a TFC game. I hope to make it down there for many more.

brad

The buzz around this team is dead around the city and has been for years. It got a brief shot of adrenaline when Defoe and Bradley signed - but that wore off quickly. Seriously, step outside the supporters group discussions, you are hard are pressed to find many people that actually care bout this team on more than a casual level. Sad situation compared to what it used to be like.

Hamilton_Red
Please ..it is just cruel to the Niave to push hope. A statistician might be able to show of a posisibility to make it... But anyone who knows football...who has a sense of team dynamics and chemistry...who know's anything about the character of this franchise knows that there is absolutely no chance for TFC to make the playoffs. It's cruel to suggest otherwise.

notthesun
*sigh*

By all means, let's go for a ninth coach in 9 years. Does anybody really think it will make a difference with this club?

If Leiweke had fired Nelsen and hired an experienced coach at the start of the season, we'd be challenging for the Shield.

The time for giving time is fucking over with this club. Hire an experienced coach. Sign experienced CBs. I have more confidence Vanney can be a good coach in the future than I have in Nelsen, I'm confident Hagglund and Henry will become bona fide MLS starters in 3-4 years. We do not have the time for all that to happen. I'm indifferent on what happens to Bez. He's done good and bad things this year but he's not the problem.

The club is oblivious if they expect fans to take yet another chance on a rookie coach. Fuck that shit. And again, I like Vanney, but this is not a situation that suits him. I'd be happy if they kept him on as an assistant so that he can learn for a few years before taking the reigns. But this team needs a proven coach, it always has.

brad
10-08-2014, 09:48 PM
I think it has more to do with MLS than anything but you raise an interesting point about the last playoff spot.

I seriously wonder what the crowd would be like for a TFC playoff game (4 vs 5) on a cold miserable day in late October.

Would it be full? Would it be full prior to the kick off? Would the city get behind it like the Raptors of last year?

Or would it be niched, like when the Rock won their championships? Exciting for the diehards but largely unnoticed in general?

It would be full. Playoffs would drive the hype around the team the same way Defoe and Bradley did in the first couple of games.

ManUtd4ever
10-08-2014, 09:50 PM
We had some bad luck tonight in the offensive zone to be sure, but the bottom line is that we couldn't defeat an injury riddled lower tier team that was playing with ten men for 45 minutes.

Tonight was the most bitterly disappointing result of the season, and it has likely cost us a realistic shot at the playoffs.

The irony is that Defoe missed a PK and a point blank scoring chance, both of which he would normally put away ten times out of ten. We would have still won the game despite all of the other squandered offensive opportunities.

Sometimes I honestly think we're cursed.

Sigh.

brad
10-08-2014, 09:51 PM
*sigh*

Yes, if they replace him with the right person. Stability for the sake of stability gets you no where. Where do you think we would be today if we had stabilzed with MoJo and kept him on? Would we be MLS champs by virtue of time and stability?

You need stability behind the right person. No idea if Vanney is or isn't the right person to lead the team forward, but at this stage, you need to hand the reigns to someone with experience. We've backed a dump truck full of money up to players, now it's time to the same to the manager. NYCFC came into the league and the first thing they did was poached the best manager in the league. Before signing big name players. That's what we need to do.

Pookie
10-08-2014, 09:55 PM
If Leiweke had fired Nelsen and hired an experienced coach at the start of the season, we'd be challenging for the Shield.

The time for giving time is fucking over with this club. Hire an experienced coach. Sign experienced CBs. I have more confidence Vanney can be a good coach in the future than I have in Nelsen, I'm confident Hagglund and Henry will become bona fide MLS starters in 3-4 years. We do not have the time for all that to happen. I'm indifferent on what happens to Bez. He's done good and bad things this year but he's not the problem.

The club is oblivious if they expect fans to take yet another chance on a rookie coach. Fuck that shit. And again, I like Vanney, but this is not a situation that suits him. I'd be happy if they kept him on as an assistant so that he can learn for a few years before taking the reigns. But this team needs a proven coach, it always has.

Can I ask why you don't think we have time?

If you are in the profit business and selling all those new seats with a plan to raise prices, yes you don't have time.

But if you don't care about counting fans in the seats, what is the rush?

Clearly, TFC attendance and tv viewership is already piss poor. The team, which is owned by MLS isn't going to fold or move. So what's the risk in taking a few seasons to do it right? Create stability. Draft and develop players. Create a sustainable model.

I was mocked for saying that this year's DP plan was Koevermans 2.0 or another in a series of band aids applied to the problem. I'd suggest that what we saw this year mirrors every short cut the club has attempted to take over the years.

You say the time for giving time is over. My question is, when has the owner-operator of TFC ever given them time?

I don't see what the team has to lose by doing it right.

Supporting
10-08-2014, 10:03 PM

Have u been to a game this year?

ensco
10-08-2014, 10:16 PM
They could still get in. But so what.

Say we beat Montreal and NE (because they will have already clinched) and sneak into the 5 spot. Could happen.

Who thinks we would be able to go to NY or Columbus or wherever and get a result?

We can "make the playoffs". But we all know that the question about whether this team is any good has been answered.

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Can I ask why you don't think we have time?

Well, there is an interesting point: they've run out of things to sell that aren't winning. And given how bad they are at providing that, it's unlikely anyone will show up until after the fact, when they actually have delivered it as opposed to promised it.

What else is left? They've already milked game-day atmosphere, a real grass field, canadian-ness, several styles of play, a CMNT player, a burnt out german, an oft-injured dutchman, an uncommitted Englishman who wants his trip home. I don't think anybody gives a shit anymore.

Come sit in new BMO field! (there will be plenty of space)

Edit: Anyway, long convoluted point that got lost in all that was simply there is no urgency because whatever they were trying to save or hold onto is dead. I'm willing to bet SSH prices will be favourable at least.

brad
10-08-2014, 10:22 PM
They could still get in. But so what.

Say we beat Montreal and NE (because they will have already clinched) and sneak into the 5 spot. Could happen.

Who thinks we would be able to go to NY or Columbus or wherever and get a result?

We can "make the playoffs". But we all know that the question about whether this team is any good has been answered.

But if we squeaked in and then won a game or two in the playoffs, would anyone (outside a small group of people posting here) actually care? That's sports in North America - being crap all year but squeezing into the playoffs is a-okay.

notthesun
10-08-2014, 10:22 PM
I don't see what the team has to lose by doing it right.

So do it right then. Hire an experienced coach. Sign winning CBs. Have the GM and coach on the same page for once. What part of this sounds unsustainable to you?

I didn't say blow up the team. Don't trade away our draft picks for crocked veterans. Don't give up on Henry or Hagglund. Do sign a few players in key positions that will help us win. The cap is going up, we have the room.

I have all the time in the world for a team that does these things.

OgtheDim
10-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Replacing Bez would mean not competing until 2017.

Not exactly the thing to do if you don't have patience.

Fire Bez and Vanney and this team gets blown up again.

Everybody said TFC has to show patience. And many on here said playoffs was unlikely this season.

Time to grow up. Accept we are not good enough. And act like every successful MLS team and build on a disappointing year.

Get rid of Vanney, OK.

Getting rid of Bez is foolish.

Leedsoronto
10-08-2014, 10:25 PM
It was the ballboys.

that was actually a sad part of the game. Bradley needs to just do his own job first before going at the Ball Boy

i thought we played well, made many chances and were sooo close to getting something from this game. I would still like to see us chase more in the first half, close down and force a mistake early on not just in the last 10 mins

MightyDM
10-08-2014, 10:26 PM
*sigh*

By all means, let's go for a ninth coach in 9 years. Does anybody really think it will make a difference with this club? MLS' Armchair Analyst said that the one thing TFC needs is stability. The club identity seems to be nothing but constant change. I'm willing to give Vanney and Bez another year and time to build upon

I am not. Bez thought Nelsen wasn't good enough. We were in third when he fired Nelsen, now we are likely out of the playoffs. Vanney wasn't the solution. Stability was keeping Nelsen. Let's bring in a proper manager who will assume control over personnel too. Bez got this horribly wrong and he and Vanney should accept the consequences.

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Mo Johnston is the most stable presence this club has ever known. But his stability didn't lead to any success. Stability means nothing when you hire the wrong people in the first place.

If they can attract people of real quality to run this club in the offseason, the likes of which we've never seen previously, I see no reason to stick with two unknowns. But absent a great candidate or two, this is more or less what we've got to run with.

TOBOR !
10-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Bekker was more worried about his hair gel in the rain then urgency. I hate Osorio out wide . He needs to be in the hole.

We also need more movement. Players looked like pylons on throw ins. Fuck.

I wouldn't have a guy with hair like that on my club. No way. Either fix your wig or GTFO... or start a Flock of Seagulls tribute band. Tosser.

Yohan
10-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Replacing Bez would mean not competing until 2017.

Not exactly the thing to do if you don't have patience.

Fire Bez and Vanney and this team gets blown up again.

Everybody said TFC has to show patience. And many on here said playoffs was unlikely this season.

Time to grow up. Accept we are not good enough. And act like every successful MLS team and build on a disappointing year.

Get rid of Vanney, OK.

Getting rid of Bez is foolish.
any new manager wants his own crop of players. there's going to be a blowing up of roster in the off season, regardless of who is the manager. even if Vanney stays, the team right now can't play what Vanney wants to do. too much pace and athleticism, not enough technical skills esp in the wing

ag futbol
10-08-2014, 10:32 PM
any new manager wants his own crop of players. there's going to be a blowing up of roster in the off season, regardless of who is the manager. even if Vanney stays, the team right now can't play what Vanney wants to do. too much pace and athleticism, not enough technical skills esp in the wing
That's a very good point. As is, this team is going to experience a lot of turnover in the offseason to mould to a new coach.

MightyDM
10-08-2014, 10:34 PM
I was mocked for saying that this year's DP plan was Koevermans 2.0 or another in a series of band aids applied to the problem.

Pookie, you were mocked for only saying that, and nothing else, not for making the point, but for saying it incessantly, in almost the same words, often colourful and exaggerated.

MightyDM
10-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Mo Johnston is the most stable presence this club has ever known. But his stability didn't lead to any success. Stability means nothing when you hire the wrong people in the first place.

If they can attract people of real quality to run this club in the offseason, the likes of which we've never seen previously, I see no reason to stick with two unknowns. But absent a great candidate or two, this is more or less what we've got to run with.

in three years, Mo got us within one game of the playoffs. Just sayin'

TOBOR !
10-08-2014, 10:37 PM
That's a very good point. As is, this team is going to experience a lot of turnover in the offseason to mould to a new coach.

That's fresh. Every year it's the same thing - maybe except for the 2nd Winter year. New players to warm up to and identify with. Another thread about 'I'm getting a new shirt, who's name shall I put on the back ?'.

Another questionnaire asking whether I'd rather watch boring but winning football, versus attractive and losing.. or whatever that stupid survey was.

Well, I pretty much don't give a shit any more, so do whatever the fuck you want, TFC.

reggie
10-08-2014, 10:39 PM
was at the game tonight..what happened to GILBERTO?

jazzy
10-08-2014, 10:41 PM
terrible

Hope you enjoyed your time Vanney, because You don't deserve to be back. This was a must win... and you did not field the best team. Bloom? Bekker? What a joke.

don't leave out ...the greatest disappointment Defoe ! What kind of team lets a player crap on them , play non interested ball, then basically give him the keys to the city . Again . no wonder we get zero respect . If only this team had the heart of Gilberto ! .......Please bench him forever !

notthesun
10-08-2014, 10:48 PM
in three years, Mo got us within one game of the playoffs. Just sayin'

That's pretty terrible.