PDA

View Full Version : Security at the top of 104 last night

TFC Cityboy
07-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Where the hell were the Security guys after the match? I was walking from the South Stand to the GO Station after the match, and had to protect my 8 year old kid from flying bottles raining down from those classless wankers from Montreal.

This was supposed to be a higher security match. Does it not occur to Security to put a couple of guys at the TOP of that section to stop this shit?

There were kids absolutely terrified by this. I'd be interested in BMO Field's take on this - I will be emailing the club.

andyc
07-23-2008, 09:19 AM
This was getting ugly when I went by. The cops were up there and security staff were heading to the area where they sell corn down below 104.

One big problem was that some Toronto idiots were throwing half eaten corn stalks up at the Impact fans which definitely didn't help the situation...

I really don't think that putting the away fans at the top corner of 104 is too smart an idea... They are right by the railing which overlooks the NE concourse and it's way too easy to throw crap down onto the people down below....

tfcleeds
07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Stay classy, Montreal fans....

Those wankers were throwing all kinds of crap from up where they were. As I was exiting the stadium, I feel this hard object hit me square in the back, and then clatter against a brick wall near the box office where I was exiting. I look down, and there's this rock the size of a fist. If that thing had hit me in the back of the head, it could have been serious.

Another RPBer was telling me he was pelted with ice from soft drink cups.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was those F**kwads who started the aggro in Montreal...

Kickit09
07-23-2008, 09:46 AM
montreal fans have no class and are never getting a MLS team....2ND DIVISION FOR LIFE!

Tintin
07-23-2008, 09:52 AM
montreal fans have no class and are never getting a MLS team....2ND DIVISION FOR LIFE!

And that's a classy comment. Each supporters group have idiots. They do and we do.

What about the banner before the game on the south side:

Montreal est le petit frère mongole de Toronto.

Montreal is Toronto's little Mongolian (down Sydrom) brother

They have 13000 fans for USL games. They will get an MLS team

Kickit09
07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
in 2 games vs montreal this year i've seen less class than 2 seasons vs columbus....and thats saying a lot

Kickit09
07-23-2008, 09:57 AM
and im talking about TFC vs Columbus only... not crew vs NE, chivas, west ham, ect..

Parkdale
07-23-2008, 10:00 AM
there's guilt on both sides of the fence, but the real issue is poor fan management from the BMO field security staff.

noochie
07-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Real tough guys... when they are seperated by a 100ft drop. But yeah I agree with the sentiment that they should have been nowhere near the railings after the match had ended.

werewolf
07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
don't expect security to do anything, they are all bunched up in our corner watching us leave....making sure we don't run onto an empty field

Shaughno
07-23-2008, 10:34 AM
there's guilt on both sides of the fence, but the real issue is poor fan management from the BMO field security staff.

Sure there's guilt on both sides but if you're down below and you're being pelted by bottles, rocks, spit, etc. Are you really going to just take it? Of course there was return fire. I threw a couple of those stupid granola bars up in return out of sheer frustration as the security standing at the top was just 'looking' down and not even doing anything about the Limpact fans. :taz:

Parkdale
07-23-2008, 10:42 AM
I wasn't really referring to that one single example, but an overall level of idiocy.

I know that one of us almost got beaten up for talking to an Impact fan who helped
us out with travel and seating arrangements when we went to Montreal.
There are pricks on both sides of the fence, in general terms.

Wolfgang Mozart
07-23-2008, 10:43 AM
All I can say is "Thats horrible"....

Keep it real,

L&D for T.O.

WM.

Jimmy The Saint
07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
And that's a classy comment. Each supporters group have idiots. They do and we do.

I AM NO WAY DEFENDING THE ACTIONS OF MONTREAL SUPPORTERS

This banner pissed me off; I was born and raised in Montreal. The reason Toronto is so succesful, is because of all us Montrealers that left Quebec over the last 30 years to come and build a life in a politically stable environment.

Royal Bank head office? Used to be in Montreal. BMO Head office? MOntreal? Scotia? Montreal....

Bay Street was built from the ground up by Montrealers, both English and French speaking. So was this provinces entire economy, and there is a damned good chance that whatever job you work at has a history of Montreal refugees behind its success.

Before '75, Toronto was Montreal's inbred cousin.

Very "classy". I'd like to have words with whoever came up with that banner. PM me if you must.

There seriously needs to be netting raised up on the north end of that section so the other club supporters CANNOT even think of throwing things down on others.

Parkdale
07-23-2008, 10:53 AM
and the 'stick your poutine up your ass' chant....????

who doesn't like poutine? That's just crazy talk. It's the best thing ever (after smoked meat and dance contacts)

Wolfgang Mozart
07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Nice Park, nice!

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2008, 10:58 AM
No parky, enjoy YOUR poutine. I was just saying I didn't want any of THEIR poutine. It wouldn't be sanitary sharing.:p

Jimmy The Saint
07-23-2008, 11:00 AM

who doesn't like poutine? That's just crazy talk. It's the best thing ever (after smoked meat and dance contacts)

I heard "Montreal Smokes Meat" which was good!

My issue is that the mongoloid thing is crass and juvenile - It's like I was in grade 3 and someone called someone a retard in the lunch room....

Tintin
07-23-2008, 11:34 AM

My issue is that the mongoloid thing is crass and juvenile - It's like I was in grade 3 and someone called someone a retard in the lunch room....

Exactly my point. Poutine chants et smoke meat chants fine but there is a line.

TFC Tifoso
07-23-2008, 11:42 AM

Hey Parkdale, was that you that turned around to me and said "But I like poutine!".....I was in 111 row 2 on the railing......made me laugh :D

Parkdale
07-23-2008, 11:58 AM
probably me. I do like poutine!

TFC Tifoso
07-23-2008, 12:02 PM
You were filming, yes?....ha! so do I!

TFC Cityboy
07-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey - tha twas MY poutine song...and I LOVE poutine ;)

BigTingsGwan
07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
That banner was perfect....montreal is toronto's little retarded brother.

tfc88
07-23-2008, 01:30 PM
just so everyone knows.. it was Toronto fans who started whipping shit at those pricks from Montreal...

and it was fun

Tintin
07-23-2008, 01:50 PM
That banner was perfect....montreal is toronto's little retarded brother.

You are crass ans classless.

RealG-TFC
07-23-2008, 01:51 PM
But Montreal can fuck off, what do you care?

TFC Cityboy
07-23-2008, 01:52 PM
just so everyone knows.. it was Toronto fans who started whipping shit at those pricks from Montreal...

and it was fun
To those TFC "fans" concerned mentioned above:
I hope you're proud that by starting this shit, that MTL fans retaliated by chucking bottles at kids.

zero tolerance for hooliganism/acting like a prick

BigTingsGwan
07-23-2008, 01:53 PM
ya your right..next time the banner should say "bienvenue montreal . Hope you enjoy your stay. glad you won the cup".

Dirk Diggler
07-23-2008, 01:53 PM
But Montreal can fuck off, what do you care?

Because it reflects badly on the rest of us TFC supporters (who do have some class).

RealG-TFC
07-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Because it reflects badly on the rest of us TFC supporters (who do have some class).

So swearing your heads off is okay, just when you write it out it's bad?

RealG-TFC
07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Because for me mongol isn't that bad. Hell I used to have a teacher (french immersion) that would say "Tu parles le mongol?" whenever he would catch us speaking English.

Dirk Diggler
07-23-2008, 01:59 PM
So swearing your heads off is okay, just when you write it out it's bad?

There is a difference between saying "Fuck Montreal" and referencing Downs syndrome. It's not that subtle of a difference either.

Cambridge_Red
07-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh......... Political correctness.........Go read the banners in Spain/Italy/ANYWHERE and then comment on the banner. I think you will see that the banner was extremely tame. If you can't stand the heat.............

Tintin
07-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Oh......... Political correctness.........Go read the banners in Spain/Italy/ANYWHERE and then comment on the banner. I think you will see that the banner was extremely tame. If you can't stand the heat.............

But we are not in those countries and I don't want us to develop that culture.

pubboy
07-23-2008, 02:10 PM

..So do what they told you to do in grade school - ignore them.
Why are you making such a big thing about this ? I've seen and heard much much worse in English local derbys. Yes, the following day things were tasteless, mean, cruel and idiotic. BUT, at the time it is passion and good natured adult banter. Of course, nobody should condone any kind of violence, and the guys who were throwing thinsg from that height should have been arrested.
Just my view. I think people are a little bit too sensitive. This is football. Passions run high, and non-violent banter with oposing supporters is part of it.

BigTingsGwan
07-23-2008, 02:10 PM
then turn a blind eye.. There will be much nastier banners than this to come..i can guarantee it.

Tintin
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
then turn a blind eye.. There will be much nastier banners than this to come..i can guarantee it.

But why? Why do we need or want those banners. To me it reflects an inferiority complex.

I garantee you that if that banner would have been in english, security or police would have intervene and take it off.

Dirk Diggler
07-23-2008, 02:20 PM

People need to stop saying "Oh in Italy/Spain/Portugal/Sudan/Nicaragua/Bangladesh/Afghanistan they have worse so and so". As much as I hate to admit it, in Spain (and in Italy as well) they start racist chants against black players. So should the KKKrew fans start saying "Oh so what if we called him the n-word? They have it far worse in Italy and Spain"?

Its not about me being unable to stand the heat. I've never lived in Montreal so its hardly an insult to me. Its just condemning something that needs to be condemned.

Redpunkfiddle
07-23-2008, 02:23 PM
First, let me say that the effort put out by TIFO/banner makers and volunteers has been extraordinary since the team began.

But that banner was poor in taste and reinforced a racial steriotype, even
if it wasn't intended. I don't know if someone thought they were being
real clever in throwing up an authentic francophone denigration, but
the fact that people didn't check their heads that it is based on the
oldest kind of discrimination (this one being against the "Mongoloids-
east asians) that categorized and put a heirarchy of best to worse
race in place. Eventually, the expression was extended to those
suffering down syndrome and other disabilities. It should not have
passed through the filter of this group, which has no tolerance for
racism.

For anyone who says that they've seen worse, or that so and so used to say it- I am not impressed. When a prejudice becomes part of common language, even if the origins have been forgotten, thats dangerous. The fact that Europe struggles with high levels of accepted racism doesn't hold one drop of credibility for me. This banner has been rightly called out, it can be acknowledged, and it can be done better in the future.

I am also from Montreal originally, and yesterday was a defining day
where I took this new city and team over the place I was born. And
that was only possible because this group, RBP and other supporters
have created the class of the league from the ground up. It really is
one of the most creative bunch of people I've met. But when a mistake
is made, people should know. I heard these stupid kinds of expressions growing up, and I'd like to leave them behind.

The idiot Montreal fans (kids) who caused this trouble should be given
the boot through security and the cops. Really, that was the least of
our problems last night.

Tintin
07-23-2008, 02:29 PM
First, let me say that the effort put out by TIFO/banner makers and volunteers has been extraordinary since the team began.

racism.

For anyone who says that they've seen worse, or that so and so used to say it- I am not impressed. When a prejudice becomes part of common language, even if the origins have been forgotten, thats dangerous. The fact that Europe struggles with high levels of accepted racism doesn't hold one drop of credibility for me. This banner has been rightly called out, it can be acknowledged, and it can be done better in the future.

is made, people should know. I heard these stupid kinds of expressions growing up, and I'd like to leave them behind.

our problems last night.

Well said!

dannyd
07-23-2008, 02:39 PM

This banner pissed me off; I was born and raised in Montreal. The reason Toronto is so succesful, is because of all us Montrealers that left Quebec over the last 30 years to come and build a life in a politically stable environment.

Royal Bank head office? Used to be in Montreal. BMO Head office? MOntreal? Scotia? Montreal....

Bay Street was built from the ground up by Montrealers, both English and French speaking. So was this provinces entire economy, and there is a damned good chance that whatever job you work at has a history of Montreal refugees behind its success.

Very "classy". I'd like to have words with whoever came up with that banner. PM me if you must.

There seriously needs to be netting raised up on the north end of that section so the other club supporters CANNOT even think of throwing things down on others.

Who's side are you on?! Montreal and the entire province of Quebec are nothing but welfare bums scrounging all our tax dollars using the language/culture card. I have nothing to do with any of them, there's no one at my work affiliated with any Quebecers, you're talking out of your ass. Montreal could vanish from the face of the earth and no one would care.

Sure, we shot a couple roman candles at them but so what? you don't throw fucking rocks and ice especially when there's KIDS walking below. I'd like to see how tough they are when they're not hiding behind a 100ft railing and incompetent security.

NEE's banner said it best... "REAL ULTRAS DON'T RUN"

pubboy
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
As i said, people are a bit too sensitive nowadays.

Heathen
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM

So most of the intelligent, hardworking Montrealers left the place years ago is what you're saying... hmmm

Jimmy The Saint
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM

racism.

our problems last night.

Well said indeed.

You guys know I'm ex-Montreal, and this stands for me as well - TFC is the FIRST and ONLY Toronto Club I support.

Screaming "F*** Montreal!" and "Montreal sucks!" in the heat of the moment is nothing compared to a blatant, premeditated insult like that banner. Yes, premeditated...it took you days to come up with and hours to contruct.

THIS IS NOT EUROPE! If insulting people to that degree is so "European", stop trying to be so fucking EUROPEAN. This is a North American League, and while we should lean on the Old Country for ideas, let's take the good ones and grow them, build on them and make them our own traditions.

Racism is not a tradition. Looking for insulting remarks among the mentally handicapped is not a tradition.

There's no excuse in my mind.

I will personally not tolerate this as a fan of the game, as a member of this group or as human fucking being.

dannyd
07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Well said indeed.

You guys know I'm ex-Montreal, and this stands for me as well - TFC is the FIRST and ONLY Toronto Club I support.

Screaming "F*** Montreal!" and "Montreal sucks!" in the heat of the moment is nothing compared to a blatant, premeditated insult like that banner. Yes, premeditated...it took you days to come up with and hours to contruct.

THIS IS NOT EUROPE! If insulting people to that degree is so "European", stop trying to be so fucking EUROPEAN. This is a North American League, and while we should lean on the Old Country for ideas, let's take the good ones and grow them, build on them and make them our own traditions.

Racism is not a tradition. Looking for insulting remarks among the mentally handicapped is not a tradition.

I will personally not tolerate this as a fan of the game, as a member of this group or as human fucking being.

Fuck off and be a Impact supporter then. We're not here to give montreal a blow-job. We're football supporters. Save your lecture for someone who cares...

BigTingsGwan
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
actually sources tell me the banner was thought of and constructed just before the match. the fact that it upset some of you ex montreal folk leads me to believe it really pissed off the montreal folk..therefore it was a success.

Tintin
07-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Well said indeed.

I am very happy to see that I am not the only one insulted by this. When I firts posted my comments, I was not sure what kind of reaction it would create. It is nice to see that some values are important to you guys and presnt on this board.

Shaughno
07-23-2008, 02:49 PM
You know what, it may have been a tad over the top. But we're football supporters, it happens. It got the point across and nobody was harmed over it.

Regardless, FUCK MONTREAL and their LIMP-ACT.

tfcleeds
07-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Montreal could vanish from the face of the earth and no one would care.

I actually would care...I quite happen to like Montreal, I think its a great city.

It's just their fans I despise (in every sport)

Jimmy The Saint
07-23-2008, 02:55 PM
So most of the intelligent, hardworking Montrealers left the place years ago is what you're saying... hmmm

Doesn't mean the ones left behind are mentally handicapped, now does it...

Dirk Diggler
07-23-2008, 02:56 PM
actually sources tell me the banner was thought of and constructed just before the match. the fact that it upset some of you ex montreal folk leads me to believe it really pissed off the montreal folk..therefore it was a success.

Are you for real? The banner offended your fellow TFC supporters and you think thats an achievement? It's a shame that all of Europe is trying to curb this type of behavior yet here we are yearning to be something that they don't want to be.

RealG-TFC
07-23-2008, 02:57 PM
omg why do you take it so seriously! I doubt even they found it that offensive.

Shaughno
07-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Are you for real? The banner offended your fellow TFC supporters and you think thats an achievement? It's a shame that all of Europe is trying to curb this type of behavior yet here we are yearning to be something that they don't want to be.

No the achievement would be that it offended our fellow supporters from the Royal Mountain.

Jimmy The Saint
07-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Fuck off and be a Impact supporter then. We're not here to give montreal a blow-job. We're football supporters. Save your lecture for someone who cares...

Seems to me we've been doing a pretty good job of supporting this club without insulting peoples heritage or intelligence.

Parkdale
07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
I think it's pretty clear that when we say 'Fuck Chicago' we mean their team, not the city and the ordinary people who live there.

I think the MTL banner wasn't directed at the city as much as the fans.

Personally, I love the city but despise the Impact.

Heathen
07-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Doesn't mean the ones left behind are mentally handicapped, now does it...

No it doesn't but tell me what really offended you the mocking reference to mental retardation or the fact it was directed at Montreal

Tintin
07-23-2008, 03:06 PM
How can you dspise a tem TFC has played twice!!! Do you mean you dipise their supporters or the team itself?

tfcleeds
Look, as others have said, perhaps the banner was over the top. All I know is, when I saw the banner unfurled, I laughed, and saw it for what it was - a jab at our visiting Montreal fans and players. I don't think any real malicious intent was intended. And no, I don't support any kind of racism or discrimination, and am not a proponent of any future banners going in that direction. As a one-off thing though, I thought it was pretty harmless.

If the banner had simply read, in English, "Montreal is Toronto's retarded little brother", I doubt anyone on here would be up in arms about it.

a.ungaro
they also had smoke bombs... and were not even allowed glowsticks...fuck off BMO u guys are fucked

Laurie79
07-23-2008, 03:10 PM
ya your right..next time the banner should say "bienvenue montreal . Hope you enjoy your stay. glad you won the cup".

LMFAO ok, what about somewhere in between that and the Mongoloid brother...:D

BC101
07-23-2008, 03:13 PM
they also had smoke bombs... and were not even allowed glowsticks...fuck off BMO u guys are fucked
Word... Priorities mate fucking Priorities... I know some people were waitin behind for those fucks wonder if anything ever came of it... I gave up and left before long.

Shaughno
07-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Look, as others have said, perhaps the banner was over the top. All I know is, when I saw the banner unfurled, I laughed, and saw it for what it was - a jab at our visiting Montreal fans and players. I don't think any real malicious intent was intended. And no, I don't support any kind of racism or discrimination, and am not a proponent of any future banners going in that direction. As a one-off thing though, I thought it was pretty harmless.

If the banner had simply read, in English, "Montreal is Toronto's retarded little brother", I doubt anyone on here would be up in arms about it.

:iagree:

BigTingsGwan
07-23-2008, 03:18 PM
apparently the security kept them in some room til 10 30.

Captain Croatia
07-23-2008, 03:24 PM

FTW:taz:

MFBODD
07-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Are any of the Impact players going to the Special Olympics?

Jimmy The Saint
07-23-2008, 03:33 PM
No it doesn't but tell me what really offended you the mocking reference to mental retardation or the fact it was directed at Montreal

The mocking reference to retardation; the deeper reference that asians are retarded. I don't care who it was directed at.

I don't stand for deportation remarks against South Americans, either.

I stood up and told them to shut their mouths last night! I chanted hoarse to drown their little drums out. I LEFT Montreal, because of attitudes like this banner towards those that speak english or are not of "pur laine" old quebec stock. And I have not looked back.

A Quebec generated, racist comment that has turned over the years into a denegrating remark about the mentally handicapped that is specifically used to denegrate new immigrants and people who can't speak french is not a way to insult Montrealers.

Heathen
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
The mocking reference to retardation; the deeper reference that asians are retarded. I don't care who it was directed at.

I don't stand for deportation remarks against South Americans, either.

I stood up and told them to shut their mouths last night! I chanted hoarse to drown their little drums out. I LEFT Montreal, because of attitudes like this banner towards those that speak english or are not of "pur laine" old quebec stock. And I have not looked back.

A Quebec generated, racist comment that has turned over the years into a denegrating remark about the mentally handicapped that is specifically used to denegrate new immigrants and people who can't speak french is not a way to insult Montrealers.

OK, I don't think we understood the context that its used by Quebecers

Jimmy The Saint
07-23-2008, 03:41 PM
OK, I don't think we understood the context that its used by Quebecers

Unfortunately, telling them to go back to France doesn't work either. :canada:

Rudi
07-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Actually, the sign said "MTL: LE P'TIT FRERE MONGOL DE TORONTO". I know this, because I was the one who painted it :D

You need to lighten up. The UM02 guys thought the banner was funny.

Rudi
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM

Cry me a fucking river.

"Before '75?" Guess what? It's 2008. 90% of this board wasn't even alive before '75, so get with the times.

Yes, all of those places used to be in Montreal, until they smartened up and moved to greener pastures here. My point still stands.

BTW, I made the banner, but the slogan was given to me by a Francophone member of U-Sector. I'm not sure why you'd want a PM about it, but whatever you have to say to me you can say it here.

Jimmy The Saint
07-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Great Rudi!

They thought it was funny because most of them ARE white quebecers! They think it's funny like Hip Hoppers use the N-word with each other!

Still doesn't make it right, or cool.

Do you know how long it takes to build a strong economy and grow businesses? 20 to 25 years, give or take. That would be what? 1988? 1983? Do the math...That's just about when Toronto became the economic engine of this fine, muti-cultural, tolerant country we live in.

We should be classier than Europe. Why and who do we as Canadians have to hate so much that this banner, "and worse to come" as someone pointed out above, need to be made or shown? Which of our fair neighbouring countries has been warring with us for hundreds of years to install this kind of indignity in you

Here's the FIFA disciplinary code BTW. We should be behind this as a whiole, for the love of the beautiful game:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/worldwideprograms/footballforhope/news/newsid=518194.html

Rudi
07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
To everyone crying about this banner and the word "Mongol", get some perspective.

No English-speaking person uses Mongoloid as an insult, yet in Quebec it is a huge insult. So we decided to use their bigoted meaning of the word against them, and it seems to have worked.

Also, most of you have no history with the Ultras Montreal before this year. U-Sector has had six years of history, including numerous posts on their boards referring to "les Mongols de Toronto", and some equally harsh signage directed at us at USL games in the past.

Originally, I was going to put "UM02: LE P'TIT FRERE MONGOL DE U-SECTOR" as they are a younger group (both in history and membership), but I figured I'd make it all-encompassing. The UM02 guys had a laugh over it, but it seems like Montreal's ex-pats here are all of the overly PC variety.

Oh, and to the person who thought that banner took hours to create. I painted it in about 5 minutes outside of Lamport yesterday afternoon, and a couple of other guys attached the two sticks on each end in roughly the same amount of time.

Jimmy The Saint
07-23-2008, 04:20 PM
To everyone crying about this banner and the word "Mongol", get some perspective.

No English-speaking person uses Mongoloid as an insult, yet in Quebec it is a huge insult. So we decided to use their bigoted meaning of the word against them, and it seems to have worked.

Also, most of you have no history with the Ultras Montreal before this year. U-Sector has had six years of history, including numerous posts on their boards referring to "les Mongols de Toronto", and some equally harsh signage directed at us at USL games in the past.

Originally, I was going to put "UM02: LE P'TIT FRERE MONGOL DE U-SECTOR" as they are a younger group (both in history and membership, but I figured I'd make it all-encompassing. The UM02 guys had a laugh over it, but it seems like Montreal's ex-pats here are all of the overly PC variety.

Oh, and to the person who thought that banner took hours to create. I painted it in about 5 minutes outside of Lamport yesterday afternoon, and a couple of other guys attached the two sticks on each end in roughly the same amount of time.

So, not pre-meditated. ok. fine. Complete lack of fore thought then. ;)

Not everyone in the stands were UM02; there were other Montrealers in the stadium, some in fact right in front of me, and they were not very happy about it.

And they probably don't know any of your U-Sector/UM02 history either. Nor would any of the quebec newspapers or newsagencies.

Rudi
07-23-2008, 04:38 PM
So, not pre-meditated. ok. fine. Complete lack of fore thought then. ;)

Not everyone in the stands were UM02; there were other Montrealers in the stadium, some in fact right in front of me, and they were not very happy about it.

And they probably don't know any of your U-Sector/UM02 history either. Nor would any of the quebec newspapers or newsagencies.
Obviously it was pre-meditated. It just didn't take hours to create like you suggested. The day some hack spray-paint job on bed sheets tied to two curved PVC pipes is the best we can do after hours of planning is the day we should just stop doing banners altogether.

I'm not sure where you were sitting, but I'm not going to be apologetic about going for the jugular in the supporters section.

I had rocks and spit hurled at me in Montreal, from a handful of UM02, but mostly non-UM02 Montrealers. I hit back with a sign. I'd say they got the better deal of the two.

timmay
07-23-2008, 05:42 PM
give me a break it was a good banner, quit being so soft

Cashcleaner
07-24-2008, 01:31 AM
I think we gotta stand up a bit more for our fellow supporters when it comes to matches against Montreal. No-one I can think of from Toronto went to Stade Saputo to cause any trouble with the Impact fans, yet we got jumped enmasse leaving the stadium. This time around in Toronto,;once again, I can't think of a single supporter who was going out of his way to tangle with anyone else.

Can't we all just agree that while we're not angels by any stretch, we're not the ones with the concerted effort to create violence where we go. Sure, you can argue there are a few idiots here in Toronto that are looking to start shit, but in Montreal its become much more organised and confrontational.

And Rudi, I got a chuckle out of the banner in question, and that's the whole point of it. It's for us (Toronto fans) to have a laugh with. Fuck what the Montrealers think of it. :D

dannyd
07-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Great Rudi!

They thought it was funny because most of them ARE white quebecers! They think it's funny like Hip Hoppers use the N-word with each other!

Still doesn't make it right, or cool.

Do you know how long it takes to build a strong economy and grow businesses? 20 to 25 years, give or take. That would be what? 1988? 1983? Do the math...That's just about when Toronto became the economic engine of this fine, muti-cultural, tolerant country we live in.

We should be classier than Europe. Why and who do we as Canadians have to hate so much that this banner, "and worse to come" as someone pointed out above, need to be made or shown? Which of our fair neighbouring countries has been warring with us for hundreds of years to install this kind of indignity in you

Here's the FIFA disciplinary code BTW. We should be behind this as a whiole, for the love of the beautiful game:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/worldwideprograms/footballforhope/news/newsid=518194.html

dude... I started reading this post... and then I got really confused cause I thought all of a sudden I was reading a letter from my mum... then I fell a sleep halfway through it.

I think you've mistaken us for people who care... you must have meant to visit the "Little house on the prairie" chat board instead.

Tintin
07-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Ok, since I started the ball by complaining about the banner, here are my conclusions after reading every post.

1. I still believe that the banner is derogatory

2. However, I now understand that it was meant for a particular group of supporters as part of an ongoing amicable feud.

3. Problem is that fans in the stadium don't have that perspective so it insulted some of us. (ex Montrealers, francophones and others)

4. Moral of the story is that you should not have made that sign available to be seen by the general public since they did not have the perspective.

5. Knowing all this now, I don't think the guys who made the sign are that bad but they should have thought about their actions a little more.

Peace!

Shaughno
07-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Ok, since I started the ball by complaining about the banner, here are my conclusions after reading every post.

1. I still believe that the banner is derogatory

2. However, I now understand that it was meant for a particular group of supporters as part of an ongoing amicable feud.

3. Problem is that fans in the stadium don't have that perspective so it insulted some of us. (ex Montrealers, francophones and others)

4. Moral of the story is that you should not have made that sign available to be seen by the general public since they did not have the perspective.

5. Knowing all this now, I don't think the guys who made the sign are that bad but they should have thought about their actions a little more.

Peace!

1. Good for you, lots of people have different opinions on what is and isn't derogatory.

2. I thought it was quite obvious since the banner starts with UM02 that it was directed at their supporters and nobody else.

3. Problem is, you're taking something personally when it was never intended to be, nor was ever directed at the general francophone public.

4. Moral of the story is, it was hung where it was for a reason. So that the Montreal supporters could see it. The general public should drop their ultra-PC mentality if that banner offends them when it was clearly aimed at one group of people.

5. Knowing the guys well already, I can tell you they DO think about their actions. Very much so actually, to the point where everything they do in the way of banners, tifo, etc. is all very well thought out.

Basically, stop taking shit personally that is directed at one particular group of people. Getting upset of someone else's personal squabbles is fucking pointless.

Don't like it? Too bad, it's not for you anyway.

Tintin
07-24-2008, 07:45 AM
I understand but you made it public. It's visiual polution. It's like smoking in public. You have to be carefull of what you in public. I and others have the right to go to the game in a pleasant environnement.

Shaughno
07-24-2008, 08:14 AM
For sure you do, and as a supporter with history between them and UM02, Usector has every right to speak their mind in public. Whether you agree with it or not.

Tintin
07-24-2008, 08:22 AM
For sure you do, and as a supporter with history between them and UM02, Usector has every right to speak their mind in public. Whether you agree with it or not.

The Racial Discrimination Act

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/pics/blue_dot.gif

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/exhibits/humnrits/pics/hrbanner.jpg
An Act to prevent the Publication of Discriminatory
Matter Referring to Race or Creed.

Assented to March 14th, 1944.
Session Prorogued April 6th, 1944.His Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, enacts as follows:Prohibition against publishing or displaying discriminating signs, etc.1. No person shall, --
(a) Publish or display or cause to be displayed on lands or premises or in a newspaper, through a radio broadcasting station or by means of any other medium which he owns or controls, any notice, sign, symbol emblem or other representation indicating discrimination or an intention to discriminate against any person or class of persons for any purpose because of the race or creed of such person or class of persons.
Effect of Act.2. This Act shall not be deemed to interfere with the free expression of opinions upon the subject by speech or in writing and shall not confer any protection to or benefit upon enemy aliens.Penalty.3. Every one who violates the provisions of section 1 shall be liable to a penalty of not more than $100 for a first offence nor more than $200 for a second or subsequent offence and such penalties shall be paid the Treasurer of Ontario.Recovery of penalties.4.-(1) The penalties imposed by this Act may be recovered upon the application of any person with the consent of the Attorney General, to a judge of the Supreme Court by originating notice and upon every such application the rules of practice of the Supreme Court shall apply.Order of judge.
(2) The judge upon finding that any person has violated the provisions of section 1 may, in addition to ordering payment of the penalties, make an order enjoining him from continuing such violation.Enforcement of section.
(3) An order made under this section may be enforced in the same manner as any other order or judgement of the Supreme Court. Short title.5. This Act may be cited as The Racial Discrimination Act, 1944.
(Transcribed from: Statutes of Ontario, 1944. Toronto: King's Printer, 1944.)

This Act may be cited as:

The Racial Discrimination Act. Statutes of Ontario, 1944. Chapter 51.

RealG-TFC
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
OMG...

It's like the "Tic tac tabernac, who the fuck's the Imapct!?" chant. Yes, it's offensive towards the Impact fans. And I was singing it loud and clear. Sure, I know in the back of my head that the Impact are a great organization that has been there for a long time, which has produced many of Canada's great players. I know that they are essential in in the developpment of the sport in Canada. Hell, I'm even guilty of watching a few of their games on Radio-Canada cause I was bored.

But fuck am I going to be all serious and uptight at a football match?! It was the cup final (not offically, but u know what I mean) and they were the enemy! So they can fuck off!

Shaughno
07-24-2008, 08:29 AM
*yawn* Tell that to the Montreal supporters.

IT'S A FUCKING FOOTBALL GAME, of course there's going to be shit slung at each other.

Shaughno
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
OMG...

It's like the "Tic tac tabernac, who the fuck's the Imapct!?" chant. Yes, it's offensive towards the Impact fans. And I was singing it loud and clear. Sure, I know in the back of my head that the Impact are a great organization that has been there for a long time, which has produced many of Canada's great players. I know that they are essential in in the developpment of the sport in Canada. Hell, I'm even guilty of watching a few of their games on Radio-Canada cause I was bored.

But fuck am I going to be all serious and uptight at a football match?! It was the cup final (not offically, but u know what I mean) and they were the enemy! So they can fuck off!

Thank you, using Tabernac is just as offensive, if not MORE offensive to the general Quebecois public. Nobody complains about that though.

I watched my friend's mom slap him straight across the face for muttering it under his breath.

I just can't believe, out of all the things that are said, done around that stadium that THIS banner is the most offensive thing people complain about.:noidea:

Tintin
07-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Tabarnac is a swear word and when you say Tic Tac Tabarnac it does not insult any group but the Banner does in my mind anyways. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Parkdale
07-24-2008, 08:43 AM

http://64.13.252.151/forums/images/icons/icon4.gif

okay... this thread is now off-topic.
The thread was about the lack of security keeping the top of 104
from throwing shit at people walking by, and has turned into something else.

The security topic has a conclusion: Cops need to do something.
The banner topic is deadlocked, and further discussion will not resolve anything.

Shaughno
07-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Agreed Sparky. Back to the topic of idiots throwing shit from their perch. :lol:

Parkdale
07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
so is the solution to net in the back of the section, or a raised fence?
or is it just to have a cop or two standing in the back corner?

Ladies Love Julius James
07-24-2008, 09:14 AM

Have a cop stand their and nothing would be thrown.

Heathen
07-24-2008, 09:17 AM

solution is not to put Mtl fans at the top of 104, put them in the middle or at the front let's see if they start throwing shit when they can be easily got at

Jimmy The Saint
07-24-2008, 09:52 AM
The plicing was a joke - I was in 105. There were 2 (3) cops on the aisle side of 104, and at one point they were at the bottom of the section, nowhere near the Montrealers. They had to run up when they and some of us started chanting at each other.

There was also little to no action taken regarding the smoke bomb that went off.

1. Put cops in the section; pull out a row of seats if you have to make room for them to stand.

2. Put cops at the top of the section.

3. Search the opposing supporters before they enter the stadium, and do not escort them blindly into the stadium, instead of searching a mama's purse and dumping out their baby bottles.

blackandwhite
07-24-2008, 10:15 AM
They put the cops in the wrong section.. honestly these people DO NOT understand. There were 5 cops top of 112.. 5 cops!!! most of the game i looked over 104.. I saw none!!

Shaughno
07-24-2008, 10:16 AM
^^ Plus another 5 at the bottom of 112 'spotting'. :rolleyes:

McBrace
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
So has anyone talked with the FO about this issue and how the failed to deal with it? If so, did they say what they would do in the future, when the garbage some to town?