PDA

View Full Version : "Why I won't be at the tfc match" -Blog post on Canadian Forces Promotion

flamehawk
09-20-2014, 12:36 PM
http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/9/20/6575199/why-i-wont-be-at-the-tfc-vs-chivas-usa-match

Was really excited about attending the match, but was reminded that it was CF promotions after reading Kristin's post and will now disappointingly have to boycott. MLSE really has to reassess its disgraceful/embarrassing match promotion strategies.

Brooker
09-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Oh the horror.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/148361/jumptheshark-o.gif

molenshtain
09-20-2014, 12:53 PM
http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/9/20/6575199/why-i-wont-be-at-the-tfc-vs-chivas-usa-match

Was really excited about attending the match, but was reminded that it was CF promotions after reading Kristin's post and will now disappointingly have to boycott. MLSE really has to reassess its disgraceful/embarrassing match promotion strategies.

every sports team in NA does this sort of thing. It might be shameful, but it's most certainly not limited to MLSE.

Red4ever
09-20-2014, 12:54 PM
After reading that, I'm boycotting her. What a thoroughly embarrassing blog post.

molenshtain
09-20-2014, 12:57 PM
After reading that, I'm boycotting her. What a thoroughly embarrassing blog post.

It really is. so thoroughly missing the point

Leedsoronto
09-20-2014, 01:00 PM

ha ha this, if it wasn't for the Armed forces then from 1812 we be all US citizens, (shudders to think)

CF18 fly past be nice

Jpexxx
09-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Support the troops.

flamehawk
09-20-2014, 01:06 PM
every sports team in NA does this sort of thing. It might be shameful, but it's most certainly not limited to MLSE.

Well, I agree w that. Problem goes beyond mlse. If they really want to 'support the troops' how about just making donations to needed mental health services or lobbying the govt, instead of celebrating militarism.

Pookie
09-20-2014, 01:08 PM
I personally wouldn't boycott because it is Military night or Local Soccer Club night or whatever cause they have opted to support.

I do however question the sincerity of getting fans to donate tickets... they have already purchased.... instead of taking a block of unsold or holding back a block of tickets from sale and donating them to youth centres, military or the charity of choice.

MLSE makes its money, the fans do the good deed and MLSE takes credit for the idea.

For the record, I feel the same way when billion dollar corporations run charity drives imploring the average guy to donate his pocket change while they post record profits.

Red4ever
09-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Well, I agree w that. Problem goes beyond mlse. If they really want to 'support the troops' how about just making donations to needed mental health services or lobbying the govt, instead of celebrating militarism.

We are celbrating the people who serve and protect our country. Something I don't have the stones to do. Being proud of the selfless amongst us should not be spun into glorifying combat as the poster does. Every November 11th, I can't even go out in public because I'm glued to Peter Mansbridge telling stories while I ball my eyes out like a new born.

We're also chucking them our free tickets. I hope that TFC tops them off with freebies of their own and would be nice to know if they did, but man, why must people be so cynical.

Red CB Toronto
09-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Support The Troops, as far as I am concerned it up to the divisions of the Canadian Armed Forces to decide if they want to be involved or not in such an endeavour. As long as they do I will support and acknowledge their effort and presence.

Leedsoronto
09-20-2014, 01:14 PM
I don't think it would be wise to have a full section full of uniformed military Personel, not in this day n age.

but yeh random giving out of pairs of tickets would at least help to fill BMO

TFC07
09-20-2014, 01:22 PM
I personally wouldn't boycott because it is Military night or Local Soccer Club night or whatever cause they have opted to support.

I do however question the sincerity of getting fans to donate tickets... they have already purchased.... instead of taking a block of unsold or holding back a block of tickets from sale and donating them to youth centres, military or the charity of choice.

MLSE makes its money, the fans do the good deed and MLSE takes credit for the idea.

For the record, I feel the same way when billion dollar corporations run charity drives imploring the average guy to donate his pocket change while they post record profits.

Agreed. That article wasn't intended to bash military, but question MLSE's agenda with their military night "promotion".

molenshtain
09-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Agreed. That article wasn't intended to bash military, but question MLSE's agenda with their military night "promotion".

are we really saying that people are that easily interested in supporting the military that they'll go to a TFC game they otherwise weren't going to go to to support the military? That's honestly just false. This is about supporting our soldiers in a public forum.

TFC07
09-20-2014, 01:43 PM
are we really saying that people are that easily interested in supporting the military that they'll go to a TFC game they otherwise weren't going to go to to support the military? That's honestly just false. This is about supporting our soldiers in a public forum.

No, blogger is saying MLSE just using military to make themselves look "good" and "honourable" all in name of good PR while selfishly asking SSH to give up their tickets instead of giving unsold tickets to military.

Btw: if you want to support military, then join group who actually help out soldiers who get treated like crap by government after they serve their duty. Don't bring military/politics into sports. People go to TFC games to watch football not support military or any other group. There's plenty outlets to show your respect and support for military and any other group.

OgtheDim
09-20-2014, 01:44 PM
!st World Relationship with the Military Problems

As others have said, how the government is treating our vets is, IMHO also, shameful. This thing tomorrow...can't get worried about it.

Fort York Redcoat
09-20-2014, 02:01 PM
These conversations are so sad.

Sides getting so confused hurting what's meant as positive support.

Everybody's got their soapbox.

If this is yours, its your game to boycott. Thankfully more people will find the positive out of this gesture than not.

See you next game, I guess.

Fort York Redcoat
09-20-2014, 02:03 PM

Will there be training and war games at the half? I didn't read that and I'm pretty sure they would've mentioned it somewhere.

molenshtain
09-20-2014, 02:08 PM
No, blogger is saying MLSE just using military to make themselves look "good" and "honourable" all in name of good PR while selfishly asking SSH to give up their tickets instead of giving unsold tickets to military.

Btw: if you want to support military, then join group who actually help out soldiers who get treated like crap by government after they serve their duty. Don't bring military/politics into sports. People go to TFC games to watch football not support military or any other group. There's plenty outlets to show your respect and support for military and any other group.

My post was in response to tomorrow being a "promotion", as in it's something akin to a free jersey night at a jays game. that's a promotion. This is doing your duty to support the military in a public forum. Lots of people make a big deal about how this club needs to do more or already does a lot in the community because it's a football club. This is part of that community outreach.

The way our country treats our vets is, like Og said, shameful. The best way to get a large group of people going to those support groups and outlets you speak of is by first showing them off in public like this. It shouldn't have to be, but that's the sad truth.

It's not like this is some novelty freakshow "promotion" that MLSE is putting on. It's something every single NA franchise will do over the course of the season. This isn't bringing military into sports. It's supporting an aspect of our community. Something we're supposed to pride ourselves on.

Red CB Toronto
09-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Keep A Smile.

Red4ever
09-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Seems to me, no one is bringing in politics into this except those saying this gesture is about politics.

Go lobby the government, sure, that helps too. But ig we lobbied the government, that would be politics. This is just appreciation.

TFC07
09-20-2014, 02:26 PM
My post was in response to tomorrow being a "promotion", as in it's something akin to a free jersey night at a jays game. that's a promotion. This is doing your duty to support the military in a public forum. Lots of people make a big deal about how this club needs to do more or already does a lot in the community because it's a football club. This is part of that community outreach.

We didn't ask MLSE to have military night, they did it for their own selfish reasons. We have been doing it for couple of years now, so why special treatment for military? Why not have police night or doctor night? Why reach out to one community, but not others? We all know the reason why, it has nothing to do with supporting military, but more to do with MLSE trying to get good PR to improve their corporate image and reputation in community.

The way our country treats our vets is, like Og said, shameful. The best way to get a large group of people going to those support groups and outlets you speak of is by first showing them off in public like this. It shouldn't have to be, but that's the sad truth.

No it's not! Best way to support military and help them is by contacting your MP's and making an issue out of it. They're not going to care and see if you show support to military at soccer game. You're being naive if you think government will take notice of that.

It's not like this is some novelty freakshow "promotion" that MLSE is putting on. It's something every single NA franchise will do over the course of the season. This isn't bringing military into sports. It's supporting an aspect of our community. Something we're supposed to pride ourselves on.

That's problem right there! MLSE doing it only because everyone else is doing. It's nothing to do with support military, but more to do with their image. If MLSE truly care about military, then they actually do something like donate money to groups or organization who help soldiers dealing with health issues or hire couple of soldiers who struggle to find work after they serve their time.

TFC07
09-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Seems to me, no one is bringing in politics into this except those saying this gesture is about politics.

Go lobby the government, sure, that helps too. But ig we lobbied the government, that would be politics. This is just appreciation.

Military is tied with politics; they go to war because of politics. They're inseparable from each other.

There's more productive ways to show support and appreciate military than giving bunch of tickets to soccer game.

flamehawk
09-20-2014, 02:38 PM
I just find it ironic that we are constantly told that politics should stay out of the game and yet this is seen as acceptable. The very nature of this discussion shows its contentious and political. As a mental health professional, I have worked directly w vets, yet I still don't appreciate having this shoved down my throat. I appreciate that I am in the minority but I am disheartened that I have been forced to miss a game as the club has decided to make a statement on this divisive issue.

Red4ever
09-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Yup. Nothing to say to those who don't get it. And no one has been forced to do anything. You're choosing to boycott because you don't believe that people who defend us deserve applause in a public setting cause it's too political. We disagree.

flamehawk
09-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Yup. Nothing to say to those who don't get it. And no one has been forced to do anything. You're choosing to boycott because you don't believe that people who defend us deserve applause in a public setting cause it's too political. We disagree.

Well, it's all in the spin. You say I don't think these people 'who defend us' deserve applause in a public setting cause it's too political (which btw I have no issue with politics in sports - I have issue at what gets chosen as acceptable), when I say this is an empty gesture that does more harm than good. The vets I work with face-to-face are dealing with issues of homelessness, unemployment, substance abuse and mental health concerns ... none of which will be helped by events like this. This event is more about a bunch of folks celebrating the military as an abstract concept - and not saying that this is the intentions of participants, but these events tend to be tied into jingoism. This type of criticism has been levelled by vets themselves against Harper's decision to specifically commemorate the Afghan occupation, focusing on 'valour' and 'bravery', instead of loss and sacrifice (both from Canadian soldiers and Afghan civilians). Don't misconstrue my opposition to celebration of the military to opposition to the actual people you claim to celebrate ... where the hell were these organizations when I have to tell someone that the waitlist for housing is at 1.5 years? or that they have to wait another month before I can connect them with specific forms of psychotherapy they need?

OgtheDim
09-20-2014, 03:29 PM
We have a game to win tomorrow.

Can we agree that some have an issue and can the energy spent on this until after the game?

azorean
09-20-2014, 03:37 PM
I'll grant you the 'sponsor overkill' thing but of all days to boycott you chose this day? Hmmmmm, Not cool...

Lumpy
09-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Well, it's all in the spin. You say I don't think these people 'who defend us' deserve applause in a public setting cause it's too political (which btw I have no issue with politics in sports - I have issue at what gets chosen as acceptable), when I say this is an empty gesture that does more harm than good. The vets I work with face-to-face are dealing with issues of homelessness, unemployment, substance abuse and mental health concerns ... none of which will be helped by events like this. This event is more about a bunch of folks celebrating the military as an abstract concept - and not saying that this is the intentions of participants, but these events tend to be tied into jingoism. This type of criticism has been levelled by vets themselves against Harper's decision to specifically commemorate the Afghan occupation, focusing on 'valour' and 'bravery', instead of loss and sacrifice (both from Canadian soldiers and Afghan civilians). Don't misconstrue my opposition to celebration of the military to opposition to the actual people you claim to celebrate ... where the hell were these organizations when I have to tell someone that the waitlist for housing is at 1.5 years? or that they have to wait another month before I can connect them with specific forms of psychotherapy they need?

What a crock of left wing shit. You outed yourself with the old Harper is the bogeyman crap and turned this into a political discussion. Sorry but I don't think you should be using this forum for that. What's next. How about "Global warming is the root cause of all of TFC's problems so we shouldn't buy gas for our cars so that we can win". Soldiers deserve any honour we can give them even if it's a lousy ticket to a lousy soccer game.

Red4ever
09-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Yup harpers a dick. And of course the media is at fault, and Rogers owns the media and TFC and blah blah blah.

We're thanking service men and woman. That's it.

flamehawk
09-20-2014, 03:49 PM
What a crock of left wing shit. You outed yourself with the old Harper is the bogeyman crap and turned this into a political discussion. Sorry but I don't think you should be using this forum for that. What's next. How about "Global warming is the root cause of all of TFC's problems so we shouldn't buy gas for our cars so that we can win". Soldiers deserve any honour we can give them even if it's a lousy ticket to a lousy soccer game.

Outed myself? I have been pretty upfront with my left politics for years on this forum, but a bit of a logical fallacy to focus on that rather than the discussion at hand. We haven't 'turned this into a political discussion', the issue was political to start off with.

People who are fine with this should obviously go to the game. I just had forgotten that this would be the nature of the game tomorrow until I read the blog, and thought I'd share the post for others who might have similar concerns or might want to have discussions regarding the matter. No need for attacking fellow supporters.

mowe
09-20-2014, 03:52 PM
I completely understand if people want to boycott this game based on how they feel about the military and how it's used.

I don't see the harm of some civilized discussion on the merits of bringing the military (which is inherently political) into sports (which have been politicized to various degrees).

Yohan
09-20-2014, 03:53 PM
vast majority of the fans at the game won't give a shit. it's been going on for years and this is an issue now?

forget the 'politics' or whatever. this is probably the most important game of the season. COYR

azorean
09-20-2014, 03:54 PM
who said conservatives do not watch soccer?......haha

Red4ever
09-20-2014, 03:59 PM
We haven't 'turned this into a political discussion', the issue was political to start off with.

No its not. And don't keep repeating it like its true. You think its political. That doesn't make it political.

flamehawk
09-20-2014, 04:01 PM
No its not. And don't keep repeating it like its true. You think its political. That doesn't make it political.

No its not. And don't keep repeating it like its true. You think its apolitical. That doesn't make it apolitical. :p

Make an actual argument instead of simply making a statement.

Red4ever
09-20-2014, 04:10 PM
We will miss your support tomorrow champ. Don't know what we'll do with your protest of two.

Oldtimer
09-20-2014, 04:11 PM
The Red Patch Boys support the sacrifice that people in our military have done, and our name reflects that.

That is totally separate from whether you support 'just war," are a pacifist, or whatever.

This discussion is inappropriate to our members who are part of the Canadian military, and can be seen to be dismissive of their sacrifices. That goes against part of the DNA of our group, so this discussion is being closed. Thanks for your contributions.

It is also off-topic from football. There is a section for that, but it is not open to non-members.

Wagner
09-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Guys. Let's keep it civil.

A civil discussion about something like this is true patriotism/democracy on both sides of the topic.

But keep it civil.