PDA

View Full Version : Dinner with Bez?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2014, 08:47 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=462040

Will there be a report of this or is it a members only thing?

Fort York Redcoat
09-18-2014, 08:53 AM
There will be no formal report. Important updates will be passed on here as Bez, I'm sure, will pass on what he feels is relevant to any media that inquires.

Red CB Toronto
09-18-2014, 09:08 AM
When was the info posted about attending this meeting? Been a busy week, did I miss something.

BuSaPuNk
09-18-2014, 09:18 AM
There will be no formal report. Important updates will be passed on here as Bez, I'm sure, will pass on what he feels is relevant to any media that inquires.

Yeah there is no formal report coming it was only me and Phil there with leadership of all the groups. It was pretty much all talked about at the SSH BBQ.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2014, 10:05 AM
thanks

Still Kicking
09-18-2014, 10:51 AM
thanks

Not so willing to thank.

I am not a RPB member and I do appreciate the opportunity to learn from and contribute to your forum.

However, I do feel strongly that I should be allowed to be a complete fan of TFC, dedicated and aware, without being a member of a supporter group.

I attended the BBQ and left there totally upset with both the message and the tone. I emailed my ticket rep on Monday about the prospect of town hall meetings at the end of the season and have been told - no plans.

So I used to have the opportunity to ask questions - now that has been replaced by a burger and a bouncy castle.

Bez meets with some? Questions? First question - could you rename the BBQ as Family day and return the town halls to season end so that both independents and support groups can discuss the club.

I am trying to find my Winter red book to see if the Bez "vision" is any different from the Winter one. I truly have my doubts....Bez says "results", Winter was fired for the lack of them. Bez says scouts detached from coaching staff - do we know who those scouts are?

I feel that Toronto born and raised, with a passion for the beautiful game and hopefully decades before I croak, I have a long term love and dedication to the team. Tim and Tim (and Ryan) are just popping in and out until the next thing comes along. "We" are letting them get away with a cursory level of scrutiny.

Daveisonfire
09-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Dinners aside, that's a really good piece of journalism from KJ.

Phil
09-18-2014, 11:06 AM
I asked Tim about what the 'vision' was given that he was on TV talking about it. My suggestion was that it be dealt with at the BBQ knowing how busy the guy is. He wanted to talk to us direct, along with the other groups. We went, he made his presentation (that sounds to be the same as I have read regarding the BBQ and media coverage) and then took off.

We have to walk away and digest the info, gauge how we feel and come up with other questions.

Doubting the whole system seems pointless. They are all going to get fired and moved on. The big difference here is that what Tim B is saying is coming from him, not marketing words in a glossy book. I take that into consideration along with any ongoing coversations I or others have with the guy. I didn't go to the BBQ for pretty much the same reasons that Still Kicking said, but I also feel that town halls just end up being a venting forum with no follow up or accountability - they fall in the waste bin as far as TFC are concerned (my own personal view).

We are all so cynical about everything right now that I realize there isn't a right move that TFC can make. If they don't fire Nelsen, then we rage. If they do, then we rage. If they talk about a plan, we complain. If they don't talk about a plan, then we complain.

Its just getting to be a bit much. The guy wanted to have a chat about the direction of the club. The major points are out there and being talked about. Nothing more to it then that.

burlington Red
09-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Dinners aside, that's a really good piece of journalism from KJ.

He's really the only reporter I take notice of these days re TFC.

Still Kicking
09-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts Phil.

My admiration for RPB is sincere and I could not imagine life without this forum.

Although I have been tempted to join and appreciated the invitations, I am a social basket case. Still Kicking by name, still kicking by nature.

I take your point regarding town halls, the last ones were 2012 and we had to listen to Paul Mariner (and Earl Cochrane) just weeks before the hiring of Kevin Payne and the firing of both. So they have the potential to be gripe sessions, but they also introduce a level of accountability.

But I am not sure that I am doubting the whole system. I am concerned that TFC/MLSE is dumbing down the dialogue between supporters and club execs. I too am at the digesting the info stage.

I do feel that the potential for soccer talent in Ontario is increasing and TFC needs supporters to be quasi-scouts and developers of talent. The people in the stands are not just hot dog and beer buyers, they are often members of the soccer community in this province.
I guess my main observations are
- TFC needs two way communications
- there is passion and wisdom out there, beyond the supporter groups ( I will stop now, my elbow is hurting from the constant patting of my own back)

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Still kicking, i dunno who you think I was thanking. I was thanking Busapunk for his insight.

Still Kicking
09-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Sorry Ossington Mental Youth, I did not mean to trample on your courtesy. It was just a play on words, I felt that hearing Bez said no more to group leaders than he did at bbq only inspired me to express my lack of thanks towards Bez and TFC for their limited one way communications style. Sorry again, it was abrupt of me....

Phil
09-18-2014, 12:38 PM
I did like that he addressed us to our faces and was genuine about things.

You have to understand that Tim also tells a lot more in these types of pow wows, stuff that can never be put on a message board or in social media. I expect he is the same way with reporters and others too.

Its not like he sits there, banters out a scripted piece then gets out of there. Its a genuine exchange. I find him more approachable and responsive than anyone I have had contact with in the past, except maybe Bob De Klerk. I do think there is some hope here, but I am waiting to see how the renewals are handled and how the season ends as far as further changes.

I do agree with the point that TFC could be doing a better job withing the soccer community here in southern Ontario, its something I discuss with him a lot and Tim is very aware thats its an issue. Its not an overnight fix and I do think that if he is given the chance, he will be repairing the issues with TFC and the soccer community more than harming it (as done by others in the past).

moralis
09-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Hi Phil,

What's more damaging is TFC not doing any more pub crawls and a year end party. These are still important events for fans to connect with players and club. I still remember attending the first ever pub crawl back in November of 2006 and the first ever 90th minute party. Good memories. Hope you can bring this up with Tim Bez, Greig Young and Anton.

Phil
09-18-2014, 01:46 PM
^^^ I agree. We as seasons ticket holders, supporters and fans have 0 connection to the team now. The removal of these events took the community face away from the team. Its something I have brought up a few times now, just no idea why its not done anymore.

moralis
09-18-2014, 02:19 PM
All supporters groups have to continue pushing and make them understand that these events are as important now as they were when the club began in 2007. I just feel like they take fans for granted and use us for their own interest. If TFC doesn't make the playoffs they know a lot of casual supporters wont renew and they will need us.

I don't understand these front office people. I just hope they change and focus more on fans who care about the club like they did back in 2007.

Wagner
09-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Paul B used to talk about how "tangible" TFC was.
you could shake the hand of your favourite player(s).
the pub crawls and year end parties were a big part of that.

lintberg
09-18-2014, 03:47 PM
I was at the TFC BBQ on the weekend and had a chance to speak with Bez for a few minutes.
I mentioned the pervious 90th minute parties and the pub nights that used to take place - he was totally unaware of the 90th minute party and asked a little more about it. I'm not sure that much will happen this year, but you never know.
I really miss the events where you could meet the players and really get to know the team.

Paul B used to talk about how "tangible" TFC was.
you could shake the hand of your favourite player(s).
the pub crawls and year end parties were a big part of that.

Red CB Toronto
09-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Our team is always accessible before and after game, always willing to answer a few questions , take a picture, sign an autograph. It has always made the TFC experience special to me, the access we have, which is not always the case across the MLS.

Wagner
09-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Our team is always accessible before and after game, always willing to answer a few questions , take a picture, sign an autograph. It has always made the TFC experience special to me, the access we have, which is not always the case across the MLS.

a hurried autograph as a player hustles to their car after the game isn't the same as grabbing a pint and chatting with a player.
Sharing a joke, etc.

InDa_110
09-19-2014, 12:17 AM
The 90th minute parties were amazing. Was it 2008 at Alice Fazoolis on King? Stefan Frei won some team award that night? My friends and I had shots with Dichio until we were shit faced, (and he told me confidentially which defenders on the team "suck shit",lol). Played Rock Band with Adrian Serioux, had drinks with Dero and recalled playing against him when he was with Malvern. Awesome times!! Bring it back if possible!!

If i'm not mistaken I think Anselmi had a lot to do with planning those? Had some drinks with him too at that event, which was the first but not the last time he bought me drinks when I saw him out and about. He was cool like that.