PDA

View Full Version : Leiweke's message to Defoe

GlenM
09-14-2014, 08:53 AM
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/09/12/mlses-tim-leiweke-to-toronto-fcs-jermain-defoe-if-you-dont-want-to-be-here-get-the-hell-out-of-our-way/ (http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/09/12/mlses-tim-leiweke-to-toronto-fcs-jermain-defoe-if-you-dont-want-to-be-here-get-the-hell-out-of-our-way/)

GlenM

inheavensince07
09-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Good for Tim .... F Defoe he is a London pooof home sick for more spice girls .. big baby Tim has his suitcase packed anyways so he might as well run his mouth , soon it will be back to blah blah blah from the new head the big losing 3

Laurignano
09-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Doesn't anyone else find it ironic? I mean he is leaving us early too...

Pookie
09-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Sure would be interesting to hear the thing that saw it go...

… From this (Sept 1, 2014):

“We’re not interested in him going anywhere,” Leiweke stated bluntly. “People spin this stuff based on their end goals. There was spinning.”

“We got an offer that would have been the single largest fee in the history of Major League Soccer,” Leiweke said. “I went through this with (David Beckham in L.A.). We loaned him during this window.”
“I told him, ‘Look, you can help us. That’s the bottom line,’” Leiweke said of a conversation he had with Defoe.

“We had a hell of an offer from an EPL club,” Leiweke continued. “That’s a good statement about Jermain and the kind of year he’s having. This is what happens.”
Leiweke also curtailed fears that former head coach Ryan Nelsen’s sacking might have an impact on Defoe’s decision to stay in Toronto long-term.

Nelsen, a former teammate of Defoe’s, played a massive role in bringing the Englishman over.

“I consulted (Defoe),” Leiweke said of the Reds bringing aboard Greg Vanney. “I knew his opinion. He’s excited about the changes.”

He said Defoe remains “100%” committed at BMO Field.

“We are very lucky to have a world-class player like him,” Leiweke finished. “This is part of the price. We’re going to have people trying to steal our players.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/01/jermain-defoe-to-remain-at-toronto-fc

...to this (Sept 12, 2014):

“I personally don’t think Defoe will come back. I think if he doesn’t want to be here, you get rid of him,”

“My attitude if you want to be here and you want to buy into what we’re doing, let’s go,” he added. “Roll up your sleeves and we’ll fight together. And I will be there with you every day.
“If you don’t want to be here, get the hell out of our way.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/09/12/mlses-tim-leiweke-to-toronto-fcs-jermain-defoe-if-you-dont-want-to-be-here-get-the-hell-out-of-our-way/

ensco
09-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Sure would be interesting to hear the thing that saw it go...

… From this (Sept 1, 2014):

“We’re not interested in him going anywhere,” Leiweke stated bluntly. “People spin this stuff based on their end goals. There was spinning.”

“We got an offer that would have been the single largest fee in the history of Major League Soccer,” Leiweke said. “I went through this with (David Beckham in L.A.). We loaned him during this window.”
“I told him, ‘Look, you can help us. That’s the bottom line,’” Leiweke said of a conversation he had with Defoe.

“We had a hell of an offer from an EPL club,” Leiweke continued. “That’s a good statement about Jermain and the kind of year he’s having. This is what happens.”
Leiweke also curtailed fears that former head coach Ryan Nelsen’s sacking might have an impact on Defoe’s decision to stay in Toronto long-term.

Nelsen, a former teammate of Defoe’s, played a massive role in bringing the Englishman over.

“I consulted (Defoe),” Leiweke said of the Reds bringing aboard Greg Vanney. “I knew his opinion. He’s excited about the changes.”

He said Defoe remains “100%” committed at BMO Field.

“We are very lucky to have a world-class player like him,” Leiweke finished. “This is part of the price. We’re going to have people trying to steal our players.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/01/jermain-defoe-to-remain-at-toronto-fc

...to this (Sept 12, 2014):

“I personally don’t think Defoe will come back. I think if he doesn’t want to be here, you get rid of him,”

“My attitude if you want to be here and you want to buy into what we’re doing, let’s go,” he added. “Roll up your sleeves and we’ll fight together. And I will be there with you every day.
“If you don’t want to be here, get the hell out of our way.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/09/12/mlses-tim-leiweke-to-toronto-fcs-jermain-defoe-if-you-dont-want-to-be-here-get-the-hell-out-of-our-way/

Great post.

I said it then, I think there never was an offer of a transfer payment. I've never understood why anyone would commit 15M GBP to Defoe when Lambert to Liverpool cost quite a bit less than that in wages and transfer fees. Lambert is the better asset right now.

QPR was willing to pick up Defoe's contract, that's it.

TFC would have taken it, but the league stopped it, for all the obvious optical reasons.

Leiweke was towing the line on Sep 1, but now he's pretty obviously trying to get released/fired now, so he's telling the real story. Thought he was being cute by putting it out at a lame-o student thingy, but didn't know video would be available.

That's my guess.

SamK
09-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Great post.

I said it then, I think there never was an offer of a transfer payment. I've never understood why anyone would commit 15M GBP to Defoe when Lambert to Liverpool cost quite a bit less than that in wages and transfer fees. Lambert is the better asset right now.

TFC would have taken it, but the league stopped it, for all the obvious optical reasons.

Leiweke was towing the line on Sep 1, but now he's pretty obviously trying to get released/fired now, so he's telling the real story. Thought he was being cute by putting it out at a lame-o student thingy, but didn't know video would be available.

That's my guess.
Everyone in the room knew video would be available after - it was announced. I doubt he missed the very large camera set up at the back of the room.

69Chevy396
09-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Leiweke will be missed. What is Defoe doing in England? He can't get world class treatment in Canada or the US? Nice that somebody is calling that ingrate out. If I were the TFC manager, i would suspend him or make him sit on the bench if he returns. And, I know I will take heat for this, but I advocate a freeze on all European player signings for a few years. It simply has not worked for us, and I am sick of it. No more glorified midfielders or defenders from the crappy second tier leagues. Had we simply drafted US and latin american players during these past 8 years, and kept the good ones, we would compete and win.

OgtheDim
09-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Defoe is scheduled to be back with the team by next weekend. And Vanney has indicated he will play before the end of the season.

I think he's gone too, as it makes more financial sense to let him go in January. But, he'll play here in the meantime.

jloome
09-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Great post.

That's my guess.

The offer wasn't 15M GBP, it was 7 million, and it was reported in the UK press too. That's not a lot, still, for a premier league team to get a guy of his pedigree, even at 32.

I think it was genuine but he failed the medical, or the league intervened and that "we won't let a player hold us hostage by flying home." One or the other, same result.

There's a airly high degree of shit beginning to flow from Lieweke's golden tongue.

EDIT: Definitely right on the motive, though. He's trying to get MLSE to can him; I think he wants to sue, get a bigger deal. He's skirting the line of whatever deal they've got, probably.

ensco
09-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Everyone in the room knew video would be available after - it was announced. I doubt he missed the very large camera set up at the back of the room.

OK so he knew. Thanks.

Doesn't change my line of thinking. He wants out today, but doesn't want to quit, he wants to be paid out.

barticusz
09-14-2014, 09:10 PM
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/jermain-defoe-departure-could-spur-shakeup-at-tfc/article20595163/?service=mobile

jazzy
09-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Defoe is scheduled to be back with the team by next weekend. And Vanney has indicated he will play before the end of the season.

I think he's gone too, as it makes more financial sense to let him go in January. But, he'll play here in the meantime.

After yesterdays game that worries me . We found a bit of team spirit by the end and I'm really worried Defoe could affect that . There are guys with heart here playing for peanuts while he is eating cake . And I loved Dero's pinpoint passing when he did play . I haven't see that all year . I guess the hope is as a pro he'll buy into the plan .

nascarguy
09-15-2014, 12:55 AM
time to sue him for all the money he has. he made a deal and broke that deal mls and tfc should sue him

Cashcleaner
09-15-2014, 02:12 AM
Ugh. Can we just stop with the bullshit around this whole Defoe thing?

First Leiweke was reassuring us Defoe is 100% committed to the club. Then TFC conceded there was interest but no offers the club was going to accept. Then we're told Defoe is here for at least the end of the season. Now Lieweke is talking about the guy like this publicly?

Make no mistake that I agree with Tim on this. If Defoe wants to go, then we should part ways; but why is this coming out after two weeks of Nelsen's firing and the first whispers of Defoe's discontent was circulating? Stunts like this is what tarnishes people's reputation. Leiweke should know better.

nascarguy
09-15-2014, 10:16 AM
I say if he wants to go they he should be fined by mls and sponsors

QBall
09-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Doesn't anyone else find it ironic? I mean he is leaving us early too...

Amen. TL should be taking his own advice.

kwhisperer
09-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Amen. TL should be taking his own advice.

Definitely.

And then there's the allegation that TFC had a big offer from QPC that TFC didn't accept because of the playoff hunt. If that was true and it was Leiweke's call, then "get the hell out of our way" is even more ridiculous. There are a lot of layers to the stupidity that goes into the running of TFC!

burlington Red
09-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Tim L questioning loyalty, maybe he should have a look in the mirror first

OfficeGuy
09-15-2014, 02:07 PM
I say if he wants to go they he should be fined by mls and sponsors & SUPPORTERS

....like a rat fleeing a ship - only our ship will sail on with or without him

Section_105
09-15-2014, 02:18 PM
I loved defoe's first tweet in forever before the first game without Nelsen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/501505513302294528/oy1CkrI6_bigger.jpeg Jermain DefoeVerified account ‏@IAmJermainDefoe (https://twitter.com/IAmJermainDefoe)

Big game for boys tonight good luck can't wait to be back out there scoring #goals (https://twitter.com/hashtag/goals?src=hash)

what a weak attempt at PR management.

so anywho, seems Spurs got the best out of this deal.

jloome
09-15-2014, 05:02 PM
The whole lot of them should be ashamed; Bez, Defoe, Nelsen and Lieweke. The one thing that no one has done yet is be honest with the fanbase.

I loved defoe's first tweet in forever before the first game without Nelsen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/501505513302294528/oy1CkrI6_bigger.jpeg Jermain DefoeVerified account ‏@IAmJermainDefoe (https://twitter.com/IAmJermainDefoe)

Big game for boys tonight good luck can't wait to be back out there scoring #goals (https://twitter.com/hashtag/goals?src=hash)

what a weak attempt at PR management.

so anywho, seems Spurs got the best out of this deal.

ginkster88
09-15-2014, 06:53 PM
The player should be fined/sued? What?

The big story here is that TL stated there was an offer (a record transfer at that!) in place that TFC declined. Defoe was 100% committed to the sinking ship. The spin was coming from somewhere else!

Now TL says that if he wants to go, he should go? Why didn't you take that "record" offer than Tim? That would have been the smarter choice, no?

ginkster88
09-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Seriously... is there anything to brag about after declining a record fee for an asset and then publicly declaring that the asset is disgruntled?

I can't think of a way to mishandle this any worse.

Red CB Toronto
09-15-2014, 07:17 PM
TFC will always be in my heart, regardless whomever is with the team at any one moment , so lets support the Reds.

MightyDM
09-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Great post.

That's my guess.

the reported would be £ 6 million, or $ 11 million - well in line with other strikers on offer in the BPL

MightyDM
09-15-2014, 08:11 PM
time to sue him for all the money he has. he made a deal and broke that deal mls and tfc should sue him

Defoe has never said anything like this at all, and all he did was give everything on the pitch. In my view, MLSE is now trying to trash him so we won't be upset when he goes. The only facts we know are: Defoe scores for fun, for TFC and every club he has played for; he has a bit of a nagging groin injury; QPR bid for him and we said "No". I don't think we should fall into the MLSE created trap of hating him. I will judge him on the pitch, and there he gives his all, every game.

molenshtain
09-15-2014, 08:12 PM
I will judge him on the pitch, and there he gives his all, every game.

very debatable.

ensco
09-15-2014, 08:13 PM
the reported would be £ 6 million, or $ 11 million - well in line with other strikers on offer in the BPL

Lambert is on GBP 2M a year for 2-3 years (there are varying reports) and the transfer was GBP 4M. So the Liverpool commitment to him is 8-10M GBP total.

If QPR really did offer $11M for Defoe, they would be commiting that plus the $20M Defoe is still owed on his deal, or $31M (17M GBP total)

Defoe is not worth 2x Lambert. I don't really see how he's worth 1x, he didn't go to Brazil, he wasn't starting at Spurs, he's injury prone.

I consider the supposed QPR bid terms poppycock. Leiweke made that up because the truth makes what he paid for defoe look ridiculous. If QPR did make an offer, the total commitment was for vastly less than has been leaked.

MightyDM
09-15-2014, 08:18 PM
You are likely right about the total commitment, but not about the fee, and that is why a deal didn't work. But bear in mind that at the end of the window Arsenal and Liverpool were looking for strikers and the price went up. Plus Harry Redknapp's history of spending is not exactly prudent, so the truth is somewhere in between.

i do find Tim's comments and the timing very odd. What is wrong with "we had an offer and said no" then in January selling saying of the offer saying "too good to turn down?" Why do you have to trash Defoe, who say what you want, produced.

molenshtain
09-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Lambert is on GBP 2M a year for 2-3 years (there are varying reports) and the transfer was GBP 4M. So the Liverpool commitment to him is 8-10M GBP total.

If QPR really did offer $11M for Defoe, they would be commiting that plus the $20M Defoe is still owed on his deal, or $31M (17M GBP total)

Defoe is not worth 2x Lambert. I don't really see how he's worth 1x, he didn't go to Brazil, he wasn't starting at Spurs, he's injury prone.

I consider the supposed QPR bid terms poppycock. Leiweke made that up because the truth makes what he paid for defoe look ridiculous. If QPR did make an offer, the total commitment was for vastly less than has been leaked.

except for the fact that it would not at all be out of character for QPR to pay that sum for a player like Defoe, especially since he's one of Harry's Boys.
Rednkapp also said the fee wasn't the issue, just that we didn't want to release him during the playoff run.

ensco
09-15-2014, 08:31 PM
^It's not like I reflexively believe Ol 'Arry either.

The market for players isn't that inefficient. If QPR took over Defoe's contract, that would still be more than Lambert was valued at, ie it would still be overpaying. That's what I think happened - QPR offered to take his contract but no transfer. TFC would have done that deal, and taken the loss on the transfer (which is why Bez broadcast the Defoe auction notice on the Saturday), but the league, or the board, went apeshit when they found out.

Leiweke showed what he really thought at Ryerson - he would have dumped Defoe at a loss and moved on. But as jloome has been saying, that can't have worked upstairs. The insouciance about other people's money wears thin fast.

notthesun
09-15-2014, 08:32 PM

Defoe's current deal would be ripped up if he moved, why are you assuming he'd have the same deal with QPR? He would probably take a pay cut.

You're in moon-landing-was-faked territory with this stuff. Sorry.

MightyDM
09-15-2014, 08:32 PM
very debatable.

You are questioning whether Defoe gave his all, every game? How about, " He delivered"?

ensco
09-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Defoe's current deal would be ripped up if he moved, why are you assuming he'd have the same deal with QPR? He would probably take a pay cut.

You're in moon-landing-was-faked territory with this stuff. Sorry.

Don't be sorry, I've heard worse.

You wait and see. I've had some far out thoeries, but this isn't one. This is close to what happened, it has to be.

molenshtain
09-15-2014, 08:38 PM
You are questioning whether Defoe gave his all, every game? How about, " He delivered"?

I think he's easily more technically adept and intelligent off the ball than 99% of strikers in this league, which put him in lots of good positions and he delivered on a fair few of those. He was atrocious in the 2-2 chicago game though, just not doing anything at all productive. That's not the only time he's taken a game off either. He was in very good form and looked dedicated for the first 10-15 or so games, not so much after that.

notthesun
09-15-2014, 08:44 PM
This is the same QPR that bought Christopher Samba for €12.5 million and paid him €100k a week, and Loic Remy for €8 million at €80k a week in January 2013 as part of a desperate bid to stay in the Premier League. Both players only stayed half a season. QPR will be fighting to avoid relegation come January. They'll spend as much as they can to do that. Don't be surprised to see them go after Defoe and then dump him off to some other team as soon as this season is over. It's what they do.

wzhxvy
09-15-2014, 09:05 PM
I think you guys are over thinking this. I think there was a "record" offer from QPR that was declined for a reason yet to be determined/confirmed. I think the latest messaging from TL is more about him and his desire to define a "legacy". His biggest acquisition did not wait for him to leave and has the audacity to want to leave first. I am guessing a recent charm offensive by TL was not met with what he expected and he is scorned somehow. This is personal and not business. There is no rationale for those comments from a business stand point. You wouldn't do that to a person you fired or released, never mind an asset with market value.

burlington Red
09-16-2014, 07:17 AM
I think he's easily more technically adept and intelligent off the ball than 99% of strikers in this league, which put him in lots of good positions and he delivered on a fair few of those. He was atrocious in the 2-2 chicago game though, just not doing anything at all productive. That's not the only time he's taken a game off either. He was in very good form and looked dedicated for the first 10-15 or so games, not so much after that.

that's the game but he and Caldwell were rushed back from injury to play in, both did not fare well. Could be agrued that it showed guts to play whilst injured.

Areathrasher
09-16-2014, 08:23 AM

Yup 6million sterling is nothing for a striker in the EPL any more. The team finishing bottom of the PL this year will pull in around 62m in tv fees and prize money.

Abel Hernandez 12m
Enner Valencia 12m
Shane Long 12m
Leandro Ulloa 8m
Ross McCormack 11m

And Ross McCormack went from Leeds to Fulham in the Champ.

Defoe is 100% affordable for any lower level PL team. He'd have a new contract with whatever team signed him so I wouldn't be using his deal here as a baraometer of that either.

Brooker
09-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Shane Long for 12 million is hilarious. Good grief.

ensco
09-16-2014, 09:05 AM
None of those guys is 31-32 years old. That is a completely different market. 90+% of those guys move on free transfers, Lambert and Defoe were rare exceptions

burlington Red
09-16-2014, 10:18 AM
None of those guys is 31-32 years old. That is a completely different market. 90+% of those guys move on free transfers, Lambert and Defoe were rare exceptions

Lambert case is different,The rest of the strikers listed would generally be coming to those clubs to be the main striker.
Lambert will only be used by Liverpool in mickey mouse cup games and as a late sub or when Batotelli/Sturridge are injured, but at his age I guess the chance to play for his home team was too great.Also he wasn't looking to move from Soton, only reason he did was because his hometown club came calling.I know he asked for 50k pounds per week during his move, not sure if he got it, but that's pretty decent wages for a back up striker.

brad
09-16-2014, 11:24 AM

When factoring value of a player, you have to take into account how much time a player has on his contract, as well as the willingness of the club to sell.

Less time left on the contract, lower the transfer fee. Less willing the club is to sell, the more they will have to play.

One of the reasons older players usually walk on a free is that they are usually on short contracts, or rolling year to year contracts, which makes it easier (and more profitable) for them to wait for it to expire before moving

Other X-factor here is Harry and his relationship with Defoe. Older mangers like him will often pay a premium for players they know.