PDA

View Full Version : Leiweke's Replacement?

Wince
09-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Haven't seen this article posted. Apologies if it's a duplicate.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/08/28/is-outgoing-cfl-commissioner-mark-cohon-the-man-mlse-wants/

Brooker
09-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Can we just leave it vacant? We know how it's gonna end.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TBQ5-5zgSQ)

TFC07
09-11-2014, 07:53 AM
New guy is going to be someone with diverse background that has experience dealing with hockey (this is big one), basketball, soccer (not a deal breaker though) and condos.

Cohon chances are very slim unless no one wants the job. That's only way Cohon will get the job.

I predict MLSE is going to be hire another high profile American CEO or Canadian CEO with strong hockey background.

That article looks like sale pitch to convince public that Cohon is right guy for the job. It's poor article which failed to mention other high profile candidates who have express interest for the job last time and probably still interested in opening position.

ryan
09-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Well if Cohon can replicate his success with the CFL with our teams, then I'm for it. He's been a pretty good success, for the most part when it came to the CFL, which was in a really bad place when he took over.

GabrielHurl
09-11-2014, 08:21 AM
I had heard the name Chris Overholt mentioned a few times by Bob McCown on PTS. He's the current Chief Executive of the COC, he is also a former MLSE employee and has worked with the Miami Dolphins and the Florida Panthers in the past

ensco
09-11-2014, 08:44 AM
This is the best qualified guy out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_Leiweke

inheavensince07
09-11-2014, 08:55 AM
This is the best qualified guy out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_Leiweke

Don't know if anyone saw the tweets but Don Cherry was advocating for Tom Anselmi to take the job.. Saying best candidate . LOL what a D- bag , says he could jump into roll and hit ground running .. hahahahha

Ohh Don didn't you endorse Rob Ford too .. What a Nathan Downer this team is

OgtheDim
09-11-2014, 12:21 PM
I had heard the name Chris Overholt mentioned a few times by Bob McCown on PTS. He's the current Chief Executive of the COC, he is also a former MLSE employee ...

Anybody like him or Anselmi are tied to the old approach with MLSE.

I suspect that's Tanenbaum talking.

ensco
09-11-2014, 02:22 PM
If they re looking in house, this guy could be a contender. He has real passion and wants to win.

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/news.asp?story_id=355#sthash.3YKKP0R5.dpbs

TFC07
09-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Scott O'Neil is another candidate to keep an eye on

Former Madison Square Garden CEO Scott O'Neil, who helped run the New York Rangers and Knicks, would be another candidate.And O'Neil was a candidate for the MLSE CEO position when Leiweke was hired.

"Scott had a great interview and got along with (MLSE board chair) Larry Tanenbaum very well," a source told TSN. "He was surprised when he didn't get the job."

O'Neil, a former senior VP of marketing with the NBA, is the chief executive of the New Jersey Devils and the Prudential Center in Newark and the Philadelphia 76ers. Both the 76ers and Devils are owned by Josh Harris, a hedge fund millionaire.

The MLSE job would seem to be a more attractive role. "Scott is a great candidate," Peddie said. "He survived dysfunction with MSG, helped new owners in Philadelphia, and is now in New Jersey with an owner who spends way too much money."

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459940

Little background info on O'Neil

Mr. Scott M. O'Neil has been the Chief Executive Officer of Philadelphia 76ers, Inc. since July 2013. Mr. O'Neil served as President of MSG Sports at The Madison Square Garden Company. He oversaw the business operations of The Madison Square Garden Company's (MSG) three professional sports teams, the New York Knicks, New York Rangers and New York Liberty. He served as President of TRU at Ceralta Technologies, Inc. He previously served as Senior Vice President of Team Marketing & Business Operations at National Basketball Association, Inc. He served as President at TRU Corporation. He has been a Director at The Hain Celestial Group, Inc. since January 17, 2012. He serves as a Member of Board of Advisors at RaptorAccelerator, LLC. He has been a Board Member at ScoreBig, Inc. since February 2013. He was named to Street and Smith’s Sports Business Journal Forty Under 40 Hall of Fame, and was named one of the nation’s top marketing executives under 40 by Advertising Age (2006). Mr. O'Neil holds a degree in Marketing from Villanova University and M.B.A. from the Harvard Business School.

Source: http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=45562946&ticker=MSG&previousCapId=348374&previousTitle=CADUS%20CORP

This type of person that MLSE is probably looking for to replace Tim Leiweke.

Yohan
09-11-2014, 05:50 PM
for those bored, Leiweke giving a Q & A to Ryerson students

https://ryecast.ryerson.ca/12/Watch/7594.aspx

Cashcleaner
09-12-2014, 02:04 AM
Mark Cohon coming in wouldn't surprise me, though I don't think he's a front-runner for the position. To be honest, he could very well make a great President for TFC or other executive with MLSE. His years in charge of the CFL saw upswings in league attendance and viewers across the country. He helped put a team back in Ottawa and pushed the Touchdown Atlantic games as part of a larger plan to put a team out in the maritimes. The guy is a bit of a "builder" in those regards.

I'd give him my support if he was announced as Leiweke's replacement; he's certainly more in-touch with the fans than most other sports execs I can think of.

OgtheDim
09-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Yes, lets get a TFC president who has no freaking clue about our game.......

Cashcleaner
09-13-2014, 02:38 PM
^ He's been involved with organizing or overseeing professional tennis, curling, CFL football, NBA basketball, and hockey. What makes you think he couldn't learn the ins-and-outs of Major League Soccer?

OgtheDim
09-13-2014, 02:42 PM
^ He's been involved with organizing or overseeing professional tennis, curling, CFL football, NBA basketball, and hockey. What makes you think he couldn't learn the ins-and-outs of Major League Soccer?

Cause the President of TFC, as against the President of MLSE, should know about this game.

Hey, lets just get EVERYBODY learning this game on the fly.

Rookie GM

Rookie coach

Rookie President

Makes total sense.....not.

JayMolly
09-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Mark Cohon coming in wouldn't surprise me, though I don't think he's a front-runner for the position. To be honest, he could very well make a great President for TFC our other executive with MLSE. His years in charge of the CFL saw upswings in league attendance and viewers across the country. He helped put a team back in Ottawa and pushed the Touchdown Atlantic games as part of a larger plan to put a team out in the maritimes. The guy is a bit of a "builder" in those regards.

I'd give him my support if he was announced as Leiweke's replacement; he's certainly more in-touch with the fans than most other sports execs I can think of.

We would support him too.
His father was a builder and perhaps some day we could see the "golden arches" as a new food outlet at BMO?

Cashcleaner
09-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Cause the President of TFC, as against the President of MLSE, should know about this game.

Hey, lets just get EVERYBODY learning this game on the fly.

Rookie GM

Rookie coach

Rookie President

Makes total sense.....not.

I'm pretty sure Greg Vanney and the rest of the coaching and management staff already have a good handle on the fundamentals of the sport and the league in which TFC belongs.

If your saying you want a President with more MLS experience than Cohon, that's valid. In fact, that's a pretty fair position.

But your quote: "Hey, lets just get EVERYBODY learning this game on the fly." sorta implies these guys are all scrambling to purchase copies of MLS Soccer For Dummies or something and Cohon's perceived ineptitude would make the situation even worse.

That's not to mention that you didn't even answer my question. I get it, you want someone with more experience in specifically running an MLS club. If given the option, I'd pick that too. But are you saying there's no possibility at all that an individual like Mark Cohon could ever be a club president for an MLS team like Toronto?

TFC07
09-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Mark Cohon coming in wouldn't surprise me, though I don't think he's a front-runner for the position. To be honest, he could very well make a great President for TFC our other executive with MLSE. His years in charge of the CFL saw upswings in league attendance and viewers across the country. He helped put a team back in Ottawa and pushed the Touchdown Atlantic games as part of a larger plan to put a team out in the maritimes. The guy is a bit of a "builder" in those regards.

Sorry, but this is too funny.

President of TFC has to be a soccer guy! This is one of reasons why TFC haven't had any success because they don't have a soccer guy to run this team and hire right people (coaches, GM etc). TL is closest thing to a soccer guy which is sad.

You're crazy to think we should hire another non-soccer guy who has no ties and understanding of the sport (which is very different compare to North America sport and how it operates)

Cashcleaner
09-13-2014, 04:07 PM
^ I don't know how your coming to this conclusion - I'm not pulling for Mark Cohon or anything. I think that out of most names we've heard, he'd be one of my top picks.

But also...seriously? You yourself pointed out Scott O'Neil as one candidate to look out for! What? You don't remember - go up a bit and see for yourself. Now tell me what what soccer experience does he have? Why isn't that idea laughed out of the thread? What about Rob Bartley as ensco pointed out?

You want to know what's really fucking funny? The fact that you're trying to disparage the notion of Mark Cohon for having no soccer experience but conveniently neglecting and/or forgetting the fact that the person you mentioned also happens to have no soccer experience.

I can literally take your above post and have it respond to your previous post. Look, here goes:

Scott O'Neil is another candidate to keep an eye on

Former Madison Square Garden CEO Scott O'Neil, who helped run the New York Rangers and Knicks, would be another candidate.And O'Neil was a candidate for the MLSE CEO position when Leiweke was hired.

"Scott had a great interview and got along with (MLSE board chair) Larry Tanenbaum very well," a source told TSN. "He was surprised when he didn't get the job."

O'Neil, a former senior VP of marketing with the NBA, is the chief executive of the New Jersey Devils and the Prudential Center in Newark and the Philadelphia 76ers. Both the 76ers and Devils are owned by Josh Harris, a hedge fund millionaire.

The MLSE job would seem to be a more attractive role. "Scott is a great candidate," Peddie said. "He survived dysfunction with MSG, helped new owners in Philadelphia, and is now in New Jersey with an owner who spends way too much money."

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459940

Hmmm, interesting information there, TFC07. I wonder what TFC07 thinks about Scott O'Niel:

Sorry, but this is too funny.

President of TFC has to be a soccer guy! This is one of reasons why TFC haven't had any success because they don't have a soccer guy to run this team and hire right people (coaches, GM etc). TL is closest thing to a soccer guy which is sad.

You're crazy to think we should hire another non-soccer guy who has no ties and understanding of the sport (which is very different compare to North America sport and how it operates)

Well TFC07 sorry to say it, but I don't think TFC07 thinks all that highly about that idea.

TFC07
09-13-2014, 04:26 PM
^ I don't know how your coming to this conclusion - I'm not pulling for Mark Cohon or anything. I think that out of most names we've heard, he'd be one of my top picks.

But also...seriously? You yourself pointed out Scott O'Neil as one candidate to look out for! What? You don't remember - go up a bit and see for yourself. Now tell me what what soccer experience does he have? Why isn't that idea laughed out of the thread? What about Rob Bartley as ensco pointed out?

You want to know what's really fucking funny? The fact that you're trying to disparage the notion of Mark Cohon for having no soccer experience but conveniently neglecting and/or forgetting the fact that the person you mentioned also happens to have no soccer experience.

I can literally take your above post, and have it respond to your previous post. Look, here goes:

Hmmm, interesting information there, TFC07. I wonder what TFC07 thinks about Scott O'Niel:

Well TFC07, sorry to say it, but I don't think TFC07 thinks all that much about that idea.

Read your own post again

To be honest, he could very well make a great President for TFC our other executive with MLSE.

That's what you said in your previous post.

Cohan as TFC president or running TFC in general (like TL did) is step backwards. Whoever is running MLSE will have to either know soccer or hire TFC president who knows soccer similar to how TL hired a hockey guy to run Toronto Maple Leafs instead of running it himself.

So I am still laughing.

Cashcleaner
09-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Yes. And I stand by that. He could very well be a great President. Seeing what he's done for the CFL; if he could emulate that with our organization, I'd be for it.

But I'll agree that the preference would be for someone with a lot of years under his belt in MLS who can work with Tim B on an even field of understanding. MLS has a metric ass-ton of special rules, restrictions, and loopholes that would undoubtedly cause more than a few headaches for any new coming in with no prior experience. I don't think it's impossible for anyone to learn this, but does TFC really have the time? Now, that's a point of debate.

And again I have to point out that of all the names mentioned by you, me, and ensco; none of them have MLS experience.

Pookie
09-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Replacing the head of soccer is a minor issue. The real focus is on finding the MLSE replacement. As such, you look at the issues that the person would have to oversee over the next few years.

BMO Field expansion leading to the Winter Classic/Grey Cups and recovering their money would seemingly be near the top of the priority list.

Bringing in a CFL guy to oversee a CFL acquisition… that doesn't necessarily make it a confusing proposition.

TFC07
09-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Yes. And I stand by that. He could very well be a great President. Seeing what he's done for the CFL; if he could emulate that with our organization, I'd be for it.

But I'll agree that the preference would be for someone with a lot of years under his belt in MLS who can work with Tim B on an even field of understanding. MLS has a metric ass-ton of special rules, restrictions, and loopholes that would undoubtedly cause more than a few headaches for any new coming in with no prior experience. I don't think it's impossible for anyone to learn this, but does TFC really have the time? Now, that's a point of debate.

And again I have to point out that of all the names mentioned by you, me, and ensco; none of them have MLS experience.

Cohan hasn't solved CFL's biggest problem (Argos) and some believe he's leaving because Argo situation. Also, Cohan got some bad rep during CFL "strike" which hurt his rep with players and media.

Point is: Cohan exactly isn't saviour who is going to solve our problems.

Given how much more media exposure there's going to be as a MLSE boss, do you think he can even handle it when he couldn't handle CFL strike properly?

TFC07
09-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Replacing the head of soccer is a minor issue. The real focus is on finding the MLSE replacement. As such, you look at the issues that the person would have to oversee over the next few years.

BMO Field expansion leading to the Winter Classic/Grey Cups and recovering their money would seemingly be near the top of the priority list.

Bringing in a CFL guy to oversee a CFL acquisition… that doesn't necessarily make it a confusing proposition.

MLSE main focus is going to be on Maple Leafs who they desperately need to improve since they bring most money. This is why talk of getting someone with hockey background is a big deal in the media with some of names (like Overholt) being toss around.

I personally believe BMO expansion is going to be done cheaply now that TL is leaving MLSE.

ensco
09-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Maybe they won't replace him - could just leave Shanahan, Masai and Harry Potter in charge.

Cashcleaner
09-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Cohan hasn't solved CFL's biggest problem (Argos) and some believe he's leaving because Argo situation. Also, Cohan got some bad rep during CFL "strike" which hurt his rep with players and media.

Point is: Cohan exactly isn't saviour who is going to solve our problems.

Given how much more media exposure there's going to be as a MLSE boss, do you think he can even handle it when he couldn't handle CFL strike properly?

But that could apply to any potential applicant. The job is always going to be heavily scrutinized by the sports media in Toronto and the fans. I will say that one of the bigger strengths Tim Leiweke had going for him was being able to meet the press and fans alike head-on.

TFC07
10-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Source: Canadian TV Exec approached by MLSE to replace Leiweke

As Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment spends the coming week interviewing prospective candidates to replace chief executive Tim Leiweke, buzz is building within the company's executive ranks and sports business industry that the CEO of a public Canadian media company may be the best fit for the high-pressure job.
John Cassaday, CEO of Toronto based radio and television broadcaster Corus Entertainment, has been approached by MLSE and discussed the position with company officials, a person familiar with the matter confirmed to TSN.

Cassaday, who once worked for former MLSE CEO Richard Peddie, is well known and highly regarded in the Toronto media industry. Besides being CEO of Corus, whose assets include YTV, HBO Canada and Treehouse, Cassaday sits on the boards of Sysco Corp. and Manulife Financial Corp.

"Cassaday is a proven leader," said a person close to the MLSE board. "He has handled a publicly traded company in Corus, its board and family ownership issues flawlessly. He is stable. A sure hand on the tiller. And he's mature and knows how to manage divisions and factions within a company. And he's Canadian and probably is looking for a change before he retires."

Cassaday is 60 and once worked for Richard Peddie at General Foods, now known as Kraft Foods. Now, Peddie's brother Thomas Peddie works for Cassaday at Corus.

MLSE plans to bring finalists for the Leiweke job into Toronto this week for interviews. The company would like to decide on his successor within the next week or so, a source told TSN.

Neither Cassaday nor his media relations staff responded to phone messages or emails seeking comment.

While Cassaday is an experienced Toronto broadcast executive, it's also worth asking whether his skill set lends itself to MLSE, which is shrinking its broadcast business and turning it over to the company's owners, Bell and Rogers.

As previously reported by TSN, other executives approached by MLSE to succeed Leiweke include former Madison Square Garden executive Hank Ratner, NHL executive John Collins and CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon.

Neither Collins nor Cohon are seen as favourites for the job.

Collins has helped to build the NHL's business through savvy marketing and a host of outdoor hockey games, but also was instrumental in awarding the NHL's Canadian TV rights to Rogers Communications. That might complicate his hiring, since Rogers jointly owns MLSE with its competitor Bell Media, which also sought those rights.

Bell is TSN's parent company.

Cohon, meantime, has led the CFL through a period of relative peace, negotiating a larger TV contract with TSN in 2013, but has also been the league's chief executive during a time when the Toronto Argonauts, the country's largest media market, have struggled to grow interest from fans and sponsors alike.

According to Canadian Business magazine, Cassaday's compensation during 2013 was about $4.7 million. Before helping to found Corus, Cassaday was president of CTV Television and the Campbell Soup Co.'s top executive in Canada and the U.K.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/source-canadian-tv-exec-approached-by-mlse-to-replace-leiweke-1.117738

TFC07
10-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Tim Lewieke talking with Irving Azoff on joint venture

Read here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-28/tim-leiweke-talking-with-irving-azoff-on-joint-venture.html

It looks like TL wouldn't be around off-season.

GhostKiller
10-28-2014, 02:26 PM
If Richard Peddie approves him....I disapprove him

craz11
10-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Rachel Bonetta for CEO!

Redcoe15
10-28-2014, 02:45 PM
You think Richard Peddie pimped this guy, John Cassaday, behind closed doors at the MLSE board room? If so, then we should be very, very worried about this as TFC fans.

Mulder
10-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Cohon played the CFL 'strike' perfectly. He got the owners what they wanted and there wasn't a single day lost. It was the PA that was caught completely off-guard and Cohon schooled the CFLPA on a number of occasions. The 'strike' never happened, so how can you criticize how he handled the 'strike'?

Yet, the other major league sports missed time due to a CBA issues, you criticize one of the few who had his season start on time with no games cancelled. Jeepers.

It's been pretty clear the CFL won the this round of the CBA. Strike vote failed, players making themselves look foolish on social media, no time lost, owners got pretty much all they asked for.

The next round of CBA talks are going to be interested, I 'wouldn't be surprised' if the PA builds up a war chest over the next few years.

Other than that, the CBA was a massive victory for him and the league, and fans\media across the CFL know it.

TFC07
10-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Cohon played the CFL 'strike' perfectly. He got the owners what they wanted and there wasn't a single day lost. It was the PA that was caught completely off-guard and Cohon schooled the CFLPA on a number of occasions. The 'strike' never happened, so how can you criticize how he handled the 'strike'?

Yet, the other major league sports missed time due to a CBA issues, you criticize one of the few who had his season start on time with no games cancelled. Jeepers.

It's been pretty clear the CFL won the this round of the CBA. Strike vote failed, players making themselves look foolish on social media, no time lost, owners got pretty much all they asked for.

The next round of CBA talks are going to be interested, I 'wouldn't be surprised' if the PA builds up a war chest over the next few years.

PR wise, Cohon took a hit especially in Toronto. Cohon pretty much destroy his credibility when he said league was doing great before strike happen (CFL and players lost good chuck of their preseason I believe) then change his tune about league's health during the strike. If he can't handle PR battle (huge deal for MLSE top job), then how in the world is he going to survive in Toronto dealing with Maple Leafs media circus which is 24/7?

I personally believe CFL players will never earn what they deserve because most of players (especially American players) in CFL are only there in short term. They don't care too much about benefits and other issues like some of players (Mostly Canadian players) do who are in it in the long term. This is why Cohon "won" not because of his performance, but division between players.

Mulder
10-28-2014, 03:12 PM
PR wise, Cohon took a hit especially in Toronto. Cohon pretty much destroy his credibility when he said league was doing great before strike happen (CFL and players lost good chuck of their preseason I believe) then change his tune about league's health during the strike. If he can't handle PR battle (huge deal for MLSE top job), then how in the world is he going to survive in Toronto dealing with Maple Leafs media circus which is 24/7? Didn't take near as big hit as being suggested. And winning the CBA battle helped more than this hurt.

I personally believe CFL players will never earn what they deserve because most of players (especially American players) in CFL are only there in short term. They don't care too much about benefits and other issues like some of players (Mostly Canadian players) do who are in it in the long term. This is why Cohon "won" not because of his performance, but division between players.

There were also many american players who were for the strike as there was Canadians against. I happened to have a front row seat to all of it. (i'll pm you details if you'd like) But I agree, the CBA is always about Canadian players, seeing that they are protected under league rules and each team requires at the least 20 of them, (7 starters) they will almost always be paid higher than their american counter-parts.

This upcoming free agency will be the tell-tale sign as there is a couple of very good Canadian o-linemen up for grabs who I wouldn't be surprised command upward of $200,000 - $250,000 per season, while their American counterparts make $80,000

OgtheDim
10-28-2014, 04:24 PM
You think Richard Peddie pimped this guy, John Cassaday, behind closed doors at the MLSE board room? If so, then we should be very, very worried about this as TFC fans.

I remain unconvinced about somebody until MLSE announces.

"Talked to" is not the same as hired.

reggie
10-28-2014, 08:45 PM

worried about what...can it be any worse then the last 8 yrs...:scarf:

Masked Man
10-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Honestly, who gives a crap about who these clowns hire. Tired of how people off the field are just as much a story as the people on it in this city.

prizby
10-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Cohan would sink TFC

ensco
01-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Hat tip to barticusz who I think first spotted this and put it elsewhere

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-board-has-weighed-asking-outgoing-ceo-leiweke-to-stay-source-1.177981

If Leiweke is leaving because he hates Larry ....

Sounds like maybe the end of Larry.

I am amused at the Tod Leiweke suggestion, which I floated in this thread months ago.

Richard
01-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Its about time they bought that goof out, he hasn't contributed anything productive and is only looking to put his buddies in charge.

barticusz
01-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Hat tip to barticusz who I think first spotted this and put it elsewhere

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-board-has-weighed-asking-outgoing-ceo-leiweke-to-stay-source-1.177981

If Leiweke is leaving because he hates Larry ....

Sounds like maybe the end of Larry.

I am amused at the Tod Leiweke suggestion, which I floated in this thread months ago.

Thanks for the placing it in the right spot!

ensco
01-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Leiweke isn't CEO anymore, he's just a consultant, according to this!

What a mess

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-hires-firm-to-seek-leiweke-s-successor-1.192878

TFC07
01-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Leiweke isn't CEO anymore, he's just a consultant, according to this!

What a mess

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-hires-firm-to-seek-leiweke-s-successor-1.192878

Bigger story here is that no one wants to work for MLSE. Since Tim Lewieke is leaving on bad terms, a lot of CEO's are taking notice and staying away from the job.

I will be surprised at this point to see someone experience and successful wanting to take this job.

OgtheDim
01-27-2015, 05:01 PM
The bit in that about Tannenbaum being the issue has to be coming from Bogers. Setting up a buyout?

TFC07
01-27-2015, 05:04 PM
The bit in that about Tannenbaum being the issue has to be coming from Bogers. Setting up a buyout?

Larry T leaving MLSE? No way, he loves owning part of MLSE and takes an active role (unlike other shareholders) running company.

I think Larry T is still upset about Lewieke getting rid of his friend Bryan Colangelo (I wouldn't surprised if he apply for MLSE CEO position, he will get it with support of Larry T).

ensco
01-27-2015, 05:10 PM
This isn't really a personality problem (although it might be that too).

As part of the Bogers deal, Tanenbaum negotiated that he would get the Leafs seat at the NHL Board of Governors for 15 years.

Which, given the importance of the Leafs to MLSE, should have been a dealkiller for Bogers. They thought it was symbolic (I did too) but it clearly has enabled Larry to meaningfully thwart Leiweke somehow.

One endgame is that Tanenbaum gets bought out, and Leiweke stays. Another is that Bell sells out to Rogers (as part of Bell getting an expansion team in Markham), and Larry gets to influence/pick the CEO.

Redcoe15
01-27-2015, 05:23 PM

HA!!!

No way does Tie Domi and Scumbag Steve Simmons's bud sell his shares in MLSE. He seems to like being the decider in that organization. The teams in MLSE are doomed with Tannenbaum having a big say in that organization.

Red CB Toronto
01-27-2015, 07:28 PM
This isn't really a personality problem (although it might be that too).

As part of the Bogers deal, Tanenbaum negotiated that he would get the Leafs seat at the NHL Board of Governors for 15 years.

Which, given the importance of the Leafs to MLSE, should have been a dealkiller for Bogers. They thought it was symbolic (I did too) but it clearly has enabled Larry to meaningfully thwart Leiweke somehow.

One endgame is that Tanenbaum gets bought out, and Leiweke stays. Another is that Bell sells out to Rogers (as part of Bell getting an expansion team in Markham), and Larry gets to influence/pick the CEO.

Do you think Bell and Rogers have a shot gun clause in their partnership agreement? Also do you think Bell and Rogers have the power to force a buyout of Larry even with him kicking and screaming?

ensco
01-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Do you think Bell and Rogers have a shot gun clause in their partnership agreement? Also do you think Bell and Rogers have the power to force a buyout of Larry even with him kicking and screaming?

No and no.

Red CB Toronto
01-27-2015, 08:54 PM
No and no.

So if one wants out, how do you see that happening, Bell or Rogers buying the other out?

ensco
01-27-2015, 09:02 PM
It's a Mexican standoff. No obvious way out.

sidvan
01-27-2015, 09:12 PM
Likely have a form of reciprocal right of refusal. Make an offer to buy out the other, but recipient then has first right to buy out the other at the same price as the original offer.

Beach_Red
01-27-2015, 10:15 PM

One of them getting an expansion team in the GTA sounds like a good idea. Kind of like the Gunds getting San Jose for giving up the North Stars.

Red CB Toronto
01-27-2015, 11:27 PM

It would have been fun if a shot gun did exist. If you remember it was a shot gun that led us to the MLSE that we have today.