PDA

View Full Version : Possible USL-Pro team in Vaughan

mowe
09-05-2014, 11:59 AM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/usl-pro-to-vaughan-for-2015-r4817

TFC executives, including General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko, met with representatives last week to hammer out details that would see a USL-Pro team operate out of a renovated stadium at the Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan.

Currently, the stadium there is in bad need of an upgrade. That upgrade is supposed to break ground this fall, with an expected finish date of June 2015.

The plan is for the OSA to partner with TFC to run the game day operations for the club, which would act as the TFC reserve side.

Would be great, especially if it starts next year.

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2014, 12:03 PM
To have an extra level of the game in the area would be great. If they are trying to run a business and make a profit with attendance- not so great.

TFC07
09-05-2014, 12:03 PM
I am assuming this USL Pro team is Toronto Lynx, right? So I guess Toronto Lynx-TFC partnership is formed by this deal now.

Red CB Toronto
09-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Well with Vancouver and Montreal just this week announcing their plans for a reserve team in USL Pro, it was just a matter of time before something regarding a TFC entry would break. It will be quite beneficial to have this team integrated into the setup at KIA, under the watchful eye of the Reds management rather than loaning a handful of players to a team in another city.

Red CB Toronto
09-05-2014, 12:11 PM
To have an extra level of the game in the area would be great. If they are trying to run a business and make a profit with attendance- not so great.

LA really does not run LA Galaxy 2 with any real business objectives in mind, it main objective is of a development one.

OgtheDim
09-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Vaughan....couldn't get any space within the 416 that might attract supporters?!?!

TFC07
09-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Well with Vancouver and Montreal just this week announcing their plans for a reserve team in USL Pro, it was just a matter of time before something regarding a TFC entry would break. It will be quite beneficial to have this team integrated into the setup at KIA, under the watchful eye of the Reds management rather than loaning a handful of players to a team in another city.

Vaughan is like couple of minutes of away from training ground, so I fail to understand why it will be issue for TFC management to follow USL Pro team in Vaughan.

TFC07
09-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Vaughan....couldn't get any space within the 416 that might attract supporters?!?!

No offense, what makes you think people living in 416 would support third tier soccer team over 905 city like Vaughan were soccer is arguably most popular sport?

OgtheDim
09-05-2014, 12:32 PM
No offense, what makes you think people living in 416 would support third tier soccer team over 905 city like Vaughan were soccer is arguably most popular sport?

Its not about who supports what, its about who can get to what.

Red CB Toronto
09-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Vaughan is like couple of minutes of away from training ground, so I fail to understand why it will be issue for TFC management to follow USL Pro team in Vaughan.

I meant a city like Wilmington, not Vaughan, which is in the GTA. Vancouver's team will be playing in New Westminster, about 20 minutes away from BC Place.

Red CB Toronto
09-05-2014, 12:51 PM
It will be interesting to see if the team is just simply known as Toronto FC 2, like in LA and with reserve teams in Europe. The Impacts team will be known as FC Montreal.

Haddy
09-05-2014, 12:53 PM

FC Montreal has set a precedent by offering free attendance (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/09/04/montreal-impact-field-usl-pro-team-ease-transition-mls-young-players?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid).

Maybe......just maybe??

Red CB Toronto
09-05-2014, 12:58 PM
FC Montreal has set a precedent by offering free attendance (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/09/04/montreal-impact-field-usl-pro-team-ease-transition-mls-young-players?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid).

Maybe......just maybe??

Quite honestly outside of Portland, no MLS side has ever really monetized reserve games. This from a TFC standpoint will really be about player development.

reggie
09-05-2014, 01:00 PM
anybody know...what the ratio is for season tickets..905 vs 416?

SweetOwnGoal
09-05-2014, 02:20 PM

Maybe......just maybe??

The last line of the story indicates that they intend to make it free for all registered youth players in province (The OSA is a partner in it). I'd be stunned if they charge more than $10 at gate and will likely be free with a TFC ticket stub or something.

Duane

Kaz
09-05-2014, 02:30 PM
I am assuming this USL Pro team is Toronto Lynx, right? So I guess Toronto Lynx-TFC partnership is formed by this deal now.

The Lynx are PDL not USL-Pro this could be a new team entirely.

C.Ronaldo
09-05-2014, 03:00 PM
was really hoping for something in the west end but maybe that would be better served by an actual non reserve team for the NASL

ag futbol
09-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Believe Montreal is running theirs with free admission. I might suggest a minimal fee (say $5) or whatever.

But they should just accept this is about development and growning the game. Being profitable is a pipe dream, so why not expose as many people as possible?

Initial B
09-05-2014, 03:43 PM
was really hoping for something in the west end but maybe that would be better served by an actual non reserve team for the NASLIsn't Hamilton in the running for an NASL franchise? We need a closer rival here in Ottawa.

Leedsoronto
09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Wonder if they will keep the League One team and run the academy boys in that. They are doing good in that league and mayhave committed to OL1 for two years?

Fort York Redcoat
09-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Wonder if they will keep the League One team and run the academy boys in that. They are doing good in that league and mayhave committed to OL1 for two years?

I would assume this USL move is to fill the gap in the talent pyramid, not replace it.

I'm cool with NASL and USL teams here but that's got to be the line. I'd like to see an ambition to make League 1 level nation wide and be a Canadian alternative to USLPDL.

PopePouri
09-06-2014, 11:18 AM

I see it as TFC U23's in USL Pro and the senior academy in L1O.

Leedsoronto
09-06-2014, 11:30 AM
That would make sense. Don't think USL Pro will be solely restricted to U23 as it can be a proving ground for injured players coming back to full fitness.

Yohan
09-06-2014, 12:29 PM
That would make sense. Don't think USL Pro will be solely restricted to U23 as it can be a proving ground for injured players coming back to full fitness.

it's not. LA has been using their usl squad for all players for all purposes