PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Wednesday , Jul.23

denime
07-23-2008, 06:18 AM
Morning!

TFC humbled by Impact

Tie earns Montreal side Canadian club title and berth in CONCACAF's Champions League

Morgan Campbell
Two minutes from full time Amado Guevara curved a free kick into a crowded penalty area, where it bounced off a teammate's head, then off the goalpost.
Jeff Cunningham managed a glancing shot off the rebound, but a Montreal defender cleared it off the goal line.
Near the TFC bench head coach John Carver looked skyward and ran his hands through his hair, frustrated at another opportunity lost.
A tournament, too.
Toronto FC had several scoring chances late in yesterday's Canadian Championship final against the Montreal Impact, but couldn't break a 1-1 tie in a game they needed to win.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/465576)

Like losing to kid brother in arm wrestling

There's no shame in losing. But this was a little like your kid brother beating you at arm wrestling. You'll never hear the end of it.
In the aftermath of last night's tie with the Montreal Impact and their sudden demotion to Canada's second-best soccer team, Toronto FC were left reeling with disappointment.
The veterans, who've known defeat and worse, were left slumped in their lockers.
"There's a lot of soul searching we need to start doing," Canadian goalkeeper Greg Sutton said afterward, a few weeks later than we needed to hear it.
In the run-up to the game, both sides were calling it the biggest in Canadian pro-soccer history. Toronto coach John Carver wisely talked up the Impact. In the aftermath, everyone on board the sinking ship TFC graciously praised the no-hopers from a league below who'd just handed them their collective hats.
"I have to give them credit," Carver said later. "The best team's won."
The fans? They didn't show their manager's foresight.
"Who the f--- is the Impact?" they chanted last night. Your betters, for this year at least. How do you say that in French?

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/465577)

Championing the Uderdog
LARRY MILLSON
TORONTO — This could be the beginning of something good: another Montreal-Toronto rivalry in sports.
And it could be that one day they will meet in Major League Soccer, where Toronto FC already resides and the United Soccer Leagues' Montreal Impact would some day like to be.
For now, the Impact can savour the fact they have won the first Nutrilite Canadian Championship in a three-team tournament between the country's top professional teams.
The Impact earned a 1-1 draw with Toronto last night before a crowd of 20,107 at BMO Field, winning the right to go on to the new CONCACAF Champions League this summer.
Montreal went into last night's game needing only the tie to finish first with two victories and a tie in its three previous games.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080722.wsptconcacaf22/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Impact claim Canadian Champions League

All hail the Montreal Impact, the undisputed kings of Canadian soccer.
In the biggest game in either franchise's history, the Impact claimed the Canadian Champions League title by earning a 1-1 tie with Toronto FC Tuesday night at BMO Field in the finale of the three-team tournament.
Roberto Brown's goal in the 26th minute was all the offence Montreal needed, as it allowed the Impact to win the Canadian club championship.
By virtue of winning the tournament, the Impact also clinched a berth in the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League, where it will face Nicaraguan champions Real Esteli in the preliminary round next month.
"My players are warriors, well done to all of them," Montreal coach John Limniatis told reporters after the game.
Impact goalkeeper Matt Jordan, who was named the tournament's most valuable player, said it was a "total team effort" that helped Montreal win the competition.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/07/22/concacaf-impact-tfc.html)

Impact send TFC packing
THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO -- The next time Montreal Impact executives sit down with Major League Soccer officials to discuss the possibility of entering North America's top league, they should bring the Nutrilite Canadian Championship trophy to the boardroom.

The long-time member of the second-tier United Soccer Leagues claimed the inaugural Canadian title with a 1-1 tie against Toronto FC -- the country's lone MLS team -- in the final game of the three-team, round-robin tournament before a disappointed crowd of 20,107 on Tuesday at BMO Field.

"The platform (for entering MLS) was already set," said Impact head coach John Limniatis, whose team (2-1-1) needed only a tie against TFC (1-1-2) to win the tournament against Toronto and the USL's Vancouver Whitecaps (1-2-1).

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/07/22/Mon-Tor-0/)

Carver calls out Cunningham after tie
By Ryan Johnston

TORONTO -- Striker Jeff Cunningham was nowhere to be found for comment after Toronto FC was eliminated from the Nutrilite Canadian Championship on Tuesday night. So instead, head coach John Carver answered the question everyone was poised to ask.

"You want my honest opinion on that? I am thinking, ‘How did he score 99 goals?’ That’s what I thought.’"

Carver was referring to Cunningham’s inability to tap a loose ball into an empty net in the 89th minute of Toronto’s 1-1 draw with Montreal. The goal would have given TFC their first major trophy in team history, and for Cunningham it would have given him goal No. 100 in storybook fashion.

"If you’re a poacher and you have got desire, no matter how you put the ball over the line you put it over the line," Carver concluded, rubbing his temples in frustration.

But instead of a dramatic win, Carver, Cunningham, his teammates and the capacity crowd in attendance took home the consolation prize of disappointment.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/07/23/carver_cunningham/)

Impact advance to CONCACAF Champions League

Eric Koreen , Canwest News Service

Published: Tuesday, July 22, 2008
TORONTO - The players on Toronto FC like to refer to their home stadium, BMO Field, as a fortress.
During the Nutrilite Canadian Championship, however, the venue was more of a house of horrors for the Major League Soccer team.
Needing a win over the Montreal Impact to secure the tournament title, TFC instead came up short once again against a team that is 10th in the 11-team United Soccer Leagues First Division.

The 1-1 draw gives Montreal the tournament title and Canada's lone berth in the CONCACAF Champions League.
Montreal will play Nicaraguan champion Real Esteli in a home-and-home series that starts on Aug. 27.

Read more (http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/soccer/story.html?id=efc47bd0-1974-49d2-97c5-8c1d345dd55e)

Impact hits hardEliminates 'superior' MLS club

By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Toronto FC deserved better.
But 1-1 tie at BMO Field last night against the Montreal Impact put an end the Reds' hopes of advancing to the CONCACAF Champions League Cup this season.
It also left many wondering how a Major League Soccer franchise with a payroll approaching $2.5 million could not beat a United Soccer Leagues side with less than half that payroll.
The Impacts play in the USL first division, which is considered a league below the MSL.
Don't tell that to TFC coach John Carver, however, as he praised the Montreal side for coming into Toronto and playing as well as any MLS team.

"I give Montreal all the credit in the world," Carver said. "They came in here needing just a point and they got it.
"I heard some of my players talking about them being in a lower league and I told them it wasn't so."

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/23/6237476-sun.html)

Reds draw, but fall short of qualifying

Tie means Montreal advances to CONCACAF Champions League

By Mark Polishuk / MLSnet.com Staff

TORONTO -- Toronto FC came up just short in their bid to qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League after a 1-1 draw with the Montreal Impact on Tuesday at BMO Field in the final game of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship. TFC entered the game needing nothing less than a win to capture the Voyageurs Cup, as they trailed Montreal six points to four in the tournament table. The Reds jumped out to an early lead after a Rohan Ricketts header in the 15th minute, but the Impact tied the game 11 minutes later. Toronto outshot Montreal 11-8 and poured on the pressure in the second half, but couldn't get the tie-breaking goal against the USL First Division team.
In a reflection of the game's importance, both sides fielded close to their first-choice lineups. Sixteen-year-old Abdus Ibrahim started at forward for TFC ahead of struggling veteran Jeff Cunningham and scoring leader Danny Dichio, who has been sidelined with a concussion. For the Impact, Roberto Brown started at striker over Severino Jefferson, who had played at forward in the first three Canadian Championship games.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080722&content_id=174922&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

DOMIN8R
07-23-2008, 06:24 AM
Mornin' Denime.

Wow..."You want my honest opinion on that? I am thinking, ‘How did he score 99 goals?’ That’s what I thought.’"

bdrs
07-23-2008, 06:52 AM
Mornin' Denime.

Wow..."You want my honest opinion on that? I am thinking, ‘How did he score 99 goals?’ That’s what I thought.’"
Morning all.
Funny I wonder the same thing.

Oldtimer
07-23-2008, 07:01 AM
British police on lookout for hooligans as West Ham tours North America

12 hours ago
TORONTO — British police are seeking to identify West Ham supporters who may be stirring up trouble on the English Premier League club's pre-season tour of North America.
There was a halftime scuffle among spectators at West Ham's 3-1 win over the Columbus Crew in a friendly match on Sunday. West Ham will also play against the Major League Soccer all-stars, who include former England captain David Beckham, on Thursday night at BMO Field in Toronto.
MLS spokesperson Will Kuhns said league officials are aware of the altercation over the weekend, but don't feel it will impact the all-star game.
"We've been working together with Toronto FC and MLSE (Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment) for several months and we're very confident the fans will create and enjoy a very festive, positive atmosphere on Thursday night," he said.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5h4i-_m1RPlrrLcWVio2JLcPNTY6g

West Ham expects test against MLS stars
Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - West Ham striker Dean Ashton believes the Major League Soccer All-Star Game is "going to be a big test."
West Ham, which finished 10th in the English Premier League last season, plays a group of MLS All-Stars led by David Beckham at BMO Field in Toronto at 7 p.m. (ET) on Thursday.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=236938

TicTacTabarnack
07-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Get it right ... It was "Tic Tac Tabarnack ... Who the Fuck's the Impact?" He missed out on the funniest part of the chant. Too bad last night's script wasn't fulfilled the way we wanted it to be to make this chant much more relevant.

Carver's comment on Cunny pretty much sums it all up.

Parkdale
07-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Get it right ... It was "Tic Tac Tabarnack ... Who the Fuck's the Impact?" He missed out on the funniest part of the chant. Too bad last night's script wasn't fulfilled the way we wanted it to be to make this chant much more relevant.

You never know.... people seem to be butchering the chants in different sections of the stadium. Maybe even a simple one like that is too hard for some people?

Don Julio
07-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Oh, now there's just TONNES of fucking coverage. Suuuuure...

Technorgasm
07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Cathal kelly can suck the biggest, dirtiest filthiest thickest smellyiest wartiest most putrid vile disgusting Quebecois lumberjack cock.

and you can quote THAT Bitch!

GUTTED.

ABSOLUTELY GUTTED.

Where are all our signings? what heppened with these people?

Cunningham is a useless Tit, and while its not fair, I put the blame SQUARELY on his shoulders. I'm sorry, bu tI have had enough.

you broke my heart last night you fucking slack-walking cunt. I will never forgive you.

ever.

ua-kozak_TFC
07-23-2008, 09:53 AM
You never know.... people seem to be butchering the chants in different sections of the stadium. Maybe even a simple one like that is too hard for some people?
some people in the middle of 113 still don;t know the Danny Dichio Chant.... that's pathetic they keep singing "Danny Dichio" instead of only "Dichio"

MartinUtd
07-23-2008, 10:20 AM
some people in the middle of 113 still don;t know the Danny Dichio Chant.... that's pathetic they keep singing "Danny Dichio" instead of only "Dichio"

Some people find it easier to keep pace by adding the extra word instead of the pause. I hear both sides of it and its pretty seamless.

I'd rather hear an imperfect chant than a bunch of holier than thou's bitching about it.

Tezza
07-23-2008, 10:33 AM

Oh NO!!! it's the chant police!

What is actually pathetic is Cunningham's lack of talent. At this moment I could give a fuck how they sang the chant...it isn't gonna put the ball in the net.

JonO
07-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Some people find it easier to keep pace by adding the extra word instead of the pause. I hear both sides of it and its pretty seamless.

It's not really the right thread for it, but if you actually listen to the tune (Pop goes the world), the extra "Danny" throws it off rather than keeping pace. The problem is that most people don't know the tune...

Technorgasm
07-23-2008, 11:06 AM
TWATS that Cathal?

I CUNT hear you.

TITS, OK, I'll FINGER it OUt. . . . its not poolite to talk with your mouth full of Lumber-jack cock anywayz. . . . Fuck-wit.

jabbronies
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM

Didn't you get the message a few months back....the "Danny Dichio"s were out numbering the "Dichio"s by more than half the stadium....sometimes it's just easier to go with the majority.

flatpicker
07-23-2008, 01:38 PM
post game video interviews...

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

sulfur
07-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Knight: The ball that decided it all

The ball came singing off the Montreal Impact goalpost on 89 minutes. It fell dead at the feet of Toronto FC striker Jeff Cunningham, three yards out from goal, with gallant goalie Matt Jordan out of position – out of business.

Cunningham fluffed it. Jordan got back.

On that ball rode the Voyageurs Cup, the Canadian men's pro soccer championship and a treasured place in the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080723.WBsoccerblog20080723135636/WBStory/WBsoccerblog/

werewolf
07-23-2008, 08:09 PM
damn it I got Cathal rolled when I clicked on the article about losing to your kid brother in arm wrestling....it might be a good time to point out how we didn't lose to our "kid brothers" head-to-head, making it NOTHING like a family arm-wrestling match.

AL-MO
07-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I think the Sunshine deserved a :hurray: this morning. This broad is hot! Another fine contribution from McMaster University.

James17930
07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
FAO the CBC writers -- please stop calling the Canadian Championship tournament the 'Canadian Champions League'

Just a little thing, but it makes a difference.

kitchener-TFC
07-23-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm with Carver. How the f*ck did Cunny score 99 goals in the mls?

madferit78
07-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Watched the montreal vs toronto game with my mate. Bad storm caused delays. Game comes back and we see our beloved reds lose :( sad day indeed