PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me... or is Greg Vanney a breath of fresh air?!?

Alonso
09-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Guys, I've seen only a few interviews with the man, but he speaks his mind and is cool calm and collected.

He doesn't give the usual sound bite that I'm expecting.

He says all the right things in surprisingly honest ways.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this guy, but he is literally the most well spoken off the cuff coach that we have ever had.

As far as PR goes, this manager will have far less problems with the media and fans.

Hopefully he can do the on field stuff to.

notthesun
09-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Nelsen sounded great when he was introduced too, just saying. I have liked what I've heard so far from Vanney but it's only worth as much as he can actually implement.

manitou22
09-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Like you I hope this is a positive indicator of a manager who can react with confidence and clarity in the moment. But at the end of the day I rate sound bites very low in my assessment of a player or manager.

tfcleeds
09-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Every new manager instills hope (except for Dave Hockaday at Leeds, I knew he was a goner the day he was appointed - and he lasted all of 6 matches). Vanney may be refreshingly honest and well-spoken, but I'd like to see results first.

bman27
09-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Every new manager instills hope (except for Dave Hockaday at Leeds, I knew he was a goner the day he was appointed - and he lasted all of 6 matches). Vanney may be refreshingly honest and well-spoken, but I'd like to see results first.

It's been a fun two weeks between our two clubs eh?

I'm looking forward to how we come out tomorrow. I've felt for a while that we've looked like a team that has had the shackles put on it. let's hope they are firing at full and show some creativity

tfcleeds
09-02-2014, 09:43 PM
It's been a fun two weeks between our two clubs eh?

I'm looking forward to how we come out tomorrow. I've felt for a while that we've looked like a team that has had the shackles put on it. let's hope they are firing at full and show some creativity

Well, your sig says it best - never a dull moment. :-)

ManUtd4ever
09-02-2014, 09:43 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/09/02/after-coaching-upheaval-michael-bradley-praises-new-toronto-fc-boss-greg-van

The team's leader in the midfield, Michael Bradley (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/michael-bradley), said he was, on a personal level, disappointed that former head coach Ryan Nelsen had been let go (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/31/toronto-fc-part-ways-head-coach-ryan-nelsen-hire-ex-us-international-greg-va), explaining that players “always feel responsible when results and things within a club don’t go well because in the end we’re the ones on the field.”

But, Bradley said, the club’s new head coach, Greg Vanney, has handled the transition period well.

“I think, in a crazy two or three days, Greg has come in and handled it tremendously,” Bradley told reporters at training Tuesday. “He has a strong but calm way of leading and a good presence in the group. He’s really found a good way now to talk about some things, show us some things and, above all else, lead with a strong, calming presence.”

OgtheDim
09-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Don't worry, people will start to call for his firing sometime around when the first pass goes astray tomorrow.

Ultra & Proud
09-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Don't worry, people will start to call for his firing sometime around when the first pass goes astray tomorrow.
And Bez too. Don't forget him.

ManUtd4ever
09-02-2014, 10:16 PM

Haha, maybe.

I'm not expecting miracles overnight, but I do expect an energized team and an honest effort from everyone on the pitch tomorrow. That in of itself should produce some positive results in the short term while the players become more familiar with Vanney's tactical approach.

Phil
09-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Post game interviews will do it for me. If I have to hear one more 'we were unlucky' or 'the refs took that one from us' or 'we were really the better team out there' one more time after Mariner and Nelsen did that I don't know what I will do... :D

ManUtd4ever
09-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Post game interviews will do it for me. If I have to hear one more 'we were unlucky' or 'the refs took that one from us' or 'we were really the better team out there' one more time after Mariner and Nelsen did that I don't know what I will do... :D

We went from Winter routinely throwing his players under the bus to coaches that refused to hold their players accountable under any circumstances.

It would be nice to have a coach that is level headed in that regard; a leader that knows when to deflect criticism from his players and when to light a fire under their arses.

Red CB Toronto
09-02-2014, 10:32 PM

I find it a little ironic that Mr. Mariner was in the building (Revs TV) the day Ryan decided to go off on Bez. Now they are both past head coaches of the Reds. But yes if Greg has a honest view of the match in the post game interviews, that will be refreshing.

Morlesio14
09-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Mabye vanney will use an AM

PopePouri
09-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Mabye vanney will use an AM

Larson mentioned on ExtraTime Radio that when Defoe goes in January, An AM DP was on the cards.

OgtheDim
09-03-2014, 06:30 AM

You never listen to Arsene Wenger or Mourinho after a match I take it?

:)

The interesting thing is most MLS coaches are like what we want - tell the truth and move on.

Except Vermes and Porter. If we get Vermes next season I will not be happy watching him turn our happy professionals into a bunch of whining while they are kicking people up the arse brats.

brad
09-03-2014, 06:49 AM
We went from Winter routinely throwing his players under the bus to coaches that refused to hold their players accountable under any circumstances.

It would be nice to have a coach that is level headed in that regard; a leader that knows when to deflect criticism from his players and when to light a fire under their arses.

Not holding players accountable in the media/post game interviews does not necessarily mean they are not being held them accountable. He could easily defend them in public and tear a strip off them in the dressing room. That was a cornerstone of Fergie's management philosophy, for example.

brad
09-03-2014, 06:52 AM
Been through this song and dance one to many times with this team. I don't care what the club tells us is or isn't going to happen. That's marketing fluff. Don't really care what Vanney does or doesn't say in interviews.

I care about, and will judge this all based on performances and results. Are we winning? Does he get the team playing well? Is he able to adjust tactics and/or players mid-game to influence the result positively? That's all I care about at this stage. And to be honest, having yet another manager that has never managed a first team before is not filling me with excitement.

Morlesio14
09-03-2014, 07:21 AM
Larson mentioned on ExtraTime Radio that when Defoe goes in January, An AM DP was on the cards.

Is on the cards. And I'd love that

BuSaPuNk
09-03-2014, 08:34 AM
I like everything I'm hearing from Vanney but it will be how the team responds tonight and the next few games that will decide for me.

I hope he does well he's done a good job with the academy and hopefully can bring that here.

Fort York Redcoat
09-03-2014, 08:50 AM
I'd say every coach we've had had a fine first interview but for Preki and Winter. Both came off a little too pompous but I thought one of them could back it up.

Carts
09-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Is he "interim" or "permanent"...?

I remember seeing/hearing/reading interim at first, but now people are talking like its a permanent thing...

Just curious...

As with all new coaches, I'm hopeful he can be the man for the job...

I do believe we have enough talent on this squad to be a solid MLS Club, make the playoffs, and yes win it (as once you're in cup-football anything can happen). So here's hoping the boys like him, his style/philosophy is a fit for us, and we start getting back on track...

Carts...

Ultra & Proud
09-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Is he "interim" or "permanent"...?

I remember seeing/hearing/reading interim at first, but now people are talking like its a permanent thing...

Just curious...

As with all new coaches, I'm hopeful he can be the man for the job...

I do believe we have enough talent on this squad to be a solid MLS Club, make the playoffs, and yes win it (as once you're in cup-football anything can happen). So here's hoping the boys like him, his style/philosophy is a fit for us, and we start getting back on track...

Carts...
Bez said he should be the long term manager but he will be reassessed in the off season. So basically interim.

Defoe
09-03-2014, 10:09 AM
I agree completely. I feel more confident after watching his 1st interview then I have with Nelson in an entire year... Nelson wasn't a coach, he was player that was lost trying to do something he wasn't born to do, he didn't no how to conduct him self.

Ultra & Proud
09-03-2014, 10:23 AM
I am willing to give Vanney a fair shot and I am not going to whine and bitch if we lose tonight or play crap (which I don't think we will).

I realize we fire through inexperienced managers like hot cakes around here but they work out in other places just fine and for an inexperienced manager, Vanney does have a better MLS resume than pretty much all of our past managers minus Mo and Preki. Maybe Mariner too. Time will tell but at least we didn't knee jerk it and hire some retread unemployed 'experienced' manager just to fill the void. I would prefer this gamble with a guy like Vanney than what Montreal got themselves into with a guy like Klopas.

Phil
09-03-2014, 11:27 AM
I am willing to give Vanney a fair shot and I am not going to whine and bitch if we lose tonight or play crap (which I don't think we will).

We will get the dead cat bounce right now, its a question of wether Vanney can bridge the gap on the guys responding to change and actually instituting the changes Vanney wants.

Fort York Redcoat
09-03-2014, 11:53 AM

I realize we fire through inexperienced managers like hot cakes around here but they work out in other places just fine and for an inexperienced manager, Vanney does have a better MLS resume than pretty much all of our past managers minus Mo and Preki. Maybe Mariner too. Time will tell but at least we didn't knee jerk it and hire some retread unemployed 'experienced' manager just to fill the void. I would prefer this gamble with a guy like Vanney than what Montreal got themselves into with a guy like Klopas.

I expect more tonight than a couple weeks from now. These players needed a new coach and have one. They have the rematch at home on the weekend. Chicago will be no cakewalk since their new aquisition.

trane
09-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Fuck interviews. RESULTS. He gets us to the playoffs he will be a breath of fresh air.

Ultra & Proud
09-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Fuck interviews. RESULTS. He gets us to the playoffs he will be a breath of fresh air.
Getting us to the playoffs while showing some decent tactics and playing some good football while doing it would be a real breath of fresh air.

We could have Mariner back and with a similar 10 game bounce like we had with him a couple years ago we would make the playoffs. That'd be nice and all but it'd just mask problems that would reappear the following season and we'd be back in the new coach during the season mode we like so much.

Let's just hope for the best.

evermorian
09-03-2014, 03:27 PM
I feel confident in the assistant coaches that are being brought in to support Vanney. They are, on paper at least, a whole lot better than a former ncaa div 3 coach and a former tfc player who's only real claim to fame with the club are purely sentimental; that is, he was one of our first signings as a club. The only real one i'm not sure about is replacing stewart kerr with jon conway.

Ultra & Proud
09-03-2014, 04:34 PM
The only real one i'm not sure about is replacing stewart kerr with jon conway.
Judging by the 'development' of our keepers over the past few years I'd say it couldn't really end up worse.

ag futbol
09-03-2014, 04:43 PM
^ We seem to get great shot stoppers and otherwise not add too much. Conway is a very likeable guy, glad to see him at TFC.

Richard
09-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Judging by the 'development' of our keepers over the past few years I'd say it couldn't really end up worse.

Not directed at you but I'm curious where everyone is getting the idea our keepers haven't been developing. If its about Bendicks distribution, that's on him and the defenders for not working cohesively so he doesn't have to bomb it every time. If its about Robert's development, I'm not sure what else we want from a very young keeper. Kocic was fantastic when he was here, not sure how he didn't develop for us.