PDA

View Full Version : Matchday 25: Toronto at Philadelphia, Wed 3 Sept 7pm

Pages : [1] 2

Yohan
09-02-2014, 11:14 AM
TV: TSN2

I don't even know if Vanney will have an assistant with him for this game. Philly had Sat off and rested, plus they are coming into form. I'm curious to see if TFC will respond to Vanney or not.

Yohan
09-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Interesting

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/489836368873287680/0jHTlqu__normal.jpegJohn Molinaro @JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) · 42m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/506827371237097474)

Looks like #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) academy coaches Jon Conway and Nick Thesolf working with Vanney and the players on the field at practice this morning.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/489836368873287680/0jHTlqu__normal.jpegJohn Molinaro @JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) · 38m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/506828264367996928)

Jason Bent staying on as #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) assistant coach. Theslof and Conway are also assistant coaches, we're being told.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Theslof

ryan
09-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Should be interesting to see how aggressive we come out and who is even in the lineup.

ManUtd4ever
09-02-2014, 11:39 AM
We'll find out what this team is made of over the next few games. At the very least, I expect a total team effort from the opening whistle, which has been lacking for quite some time.

I am also curious to see if Vanney's changes to the deployment of our formation will generate more offensive opportunities.

Fort York Redcoat
09-02-2014, 11:43 AM
T-F-C clapclapclap ACADEMY clapclapclap...

I'll be at Joe's for this one. With Canada tix as well.

Initial B
09-02-2014, 12:05 PM
They're playing in Philly with a new coach and only one day of practice and a slap-dash backline. I say Union wins 3-1. The only bright spot in the lineup will be if Morgan gets one final chance to prove he belongs/doesn't belong in MLS. If he performs well, then I'll have to question Nelsen's past judgement.

Jack
09-02-2014, 12:11 PM
I'd really like to see us run a 4-3-3. I think our players have the skills for it and it fits with our lineup, but it's probably a tough call at this stage of the season.

When we have the ball, I'd try to play it this way:

Osorio, Gilberto and Moore play an inside-out game, where they make diagonal or horizontal runs that pull defenders with the others running into the space created. This would give Moore and Oso lots of options for passing and they'd have support from Bradley (inside), Bloom (outside) or Gilberto (up front) providing the triangle for passing. Moore does a good job of getting into the mix, knocking balls to Gilberto and they would be welcome to swap positions when they saw fit, with Osorio filling in behind.

Bradley provides the push up the middle, supporting Oduro's mad dashes down the right or giving the Oso/Moore/Gilberto trio a great option to switch back around. He can also, as he has shown, arrive late after the front trio has taken the ball deep. Him and Osorio both have the passing vision for this and having Warner mopping up would allow Bradley a bit more liberty to push up, although he would still very much have a key defensive role. Bloom has the legs to get up and down the pitch, and although I much prefer him on the right, he's probably our best option on the left until Morrow gets back, unless Ashtone Morgan somehow makes a triumphant return. Hagglund would have to be a bit more defensive on the right side, given that Oduro is going to be going forward with freedom and Bradley is going to be the one running into that channel behind him if play goes down the right.

By drawing defenders toward the potent trio of Osorio, Moore and Gilberto on the left, it gives Oduro the space he needs to run at defenders and pull them out of position, opening up space for said trio or for a trailing Bradley. If the ball stays on the right, Osorio then comes over to support toward the middle, Hagglund and Warner keep a relatively high line and act as an outlet if the cross isn't on, but also guard against a quick counter. In that scenario, Moore is the far post man and Gilberto either shows for low passes or drives toward the penalty spot for the cross.
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=3266&d=1409676917

Defending, we rely on high pressure from Moore and Oduro, as well as Gilberto's ability to run forever and drop back to help the midfield. Bradley drops back in front of the D to help Warner and Osorio fades left to support on that side. Given the speed of Gilberto and Oduro, this would also allow us to recover balls with the option of Oso or Bradley using their vision to spring the counter.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=3267&d=1409677690

Anyway, maybe I play too much Football Manager, but I see this as a fairly dynamic system that would work with the talent we have, give us more options and still have good shape without the ball, provided the players play their roles. Am I off base with my assessments of any of the guys? I've watched a lot of the matches on MLS Live, but not every single minute of every single game.

JayMolly
09-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Two BIG matches with the Union:
- we have only one game in hand
- we are only three points ahead,
TFC must get their act together starting this Wednesday!

ManUtd4ever
09-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Interesting observations Jack, and I agree, but Vanney has already stated that he is going to implement a modified 4-4-2 with our midfielders pressing forward to create more offensive channels.

I would go with this lineup tomorrow:

---------------Bendik---------------

Bloom--Hagglund--Henry--Morgan

Oduro--Bradley---Osorio--Jackson

----------Gilberto--Moore----------

OgtheDim
09-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Vanney indicating we will see new players on Wednesday. Morgan and?

Roberts?

Richter?

Does DeRo count as new?

barticusz
09-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Do we really want Morgan to be playing after missing the entire season? I'm very very curious to see what Vanney does. I told myself right after the NER loss that I'd be skipping the next couple of matches out of sheer frustration. But now of course I"ll be watching.

Vanney talked about using his Canadian talent. Is Morgan the best option at LB currently (possibly)? Bekker or DeRo get a sniff? I'm not sure who they'd replace to be honest.

I've always said that I thought Nelson did a good job of judging his talent and available options. I guess I'll soon find out if he was right and if I was right in supporting him or not.

barticusz
09-02-2014, 12:59 PM
TBH, I'd totally give Roberts a chance. But a this point in the season I dont' know.

Jack
09-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Interesting observations Jack, and I agree, but Vanney has already stated that he is going to implement a modified 4-4-2 with our midfielders pressing forward to create more offensive channels.

That lineup, with Bradley and Oso pressing forward, should help us create more, but if they get caught upfield, that backline doesn't really inspire confidence.

Vanney indicating we will see new players on Wednesday. Morgan and?

Roberts?

Richter?

Does DeRo count as new?
Morgan's development has really gone sideways, eh?

KRO
09-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Don't forget that Becker, Roberts and DeRo are with the Canadian team and are not available for either Philly game.

notthesun
09-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Vanney already said he'll be playing 4-4-2 because that system fits the players we have (which I agree with).

I just want to see something different tomorrow.

Ivy
09-02-2014, 03:35 PM
4-1 tfc

barticusz
09-02-2014, 03:38 PM
4-1 tfc

3-0 TFC - Goalberto with 2, Bradley with the other.

Stress
09-02-2014, 03:45 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/09/02/despite-host-international-absences-philadelphia-unions-jim-curtin-confident

Somewhat encouraging that they'll have some absences too.

barticusz
09-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Davidson reports that Bradley will be playing more up the field. Vanney like's his ability to close down, make the final pass and arrive late to the box (aka at the right time). Who is our DM at the back then? Does Orr slide in to that position with Warner being taken out? Is Oso still a winger with freedom to move (he's looked very good late, when given the ability to roam)? I'd have to think that Morgan is going to get a shot, otherwise Vanney's "Canadian Player" comments are all for naught.

Jack
09-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Vanney already said he'll be playing 4-4-2 because that system fits the players we have (which I agree with).

I just want to see something different tomorrow.
I guess it depends on which players you select. With Oduro/Bradley/Osorio/Jackson in the starting lineup, 4-4-2 fits the players. If you go with Warner over Jackson and push Oduro further up the wing, then it changes the shape. That said, I'd be happy with those four across the middle, but I am concerned about our backline without Morrow and Caldwell. Especially if he wants Bradley and Osorio to push up and create more chances, those guys could end up exposed on the counter. That said, Philly doesn't have the most speedy front line.

Carts
09-02-2014, 04:01 PM
^ I was thinking the same thing Jack... With who we have available - pushing forward could really open us up at the back...

That being said, I always prefer a pressing, close'em down attitude on the pitch. That doesn't mean we need to send 10-men rush forward into the box, but just close down the opposition and take away their time and space...

This match boils down to a phrase that is OVERUSED SO MUCH. That being MUST WIN. Technically 'must' we win this match or the season is done - no. But the shit-storm will be HUGE if we don't...

Carts...

maninb
09-02-2014, 04:12 PM

If that lineup is true...we are going to get MASSACRED on our left.....Morgan, Henry and Jackson.....not ONE of them are even COMPETENT defensively.....I see a 4-0 Philly win.....

shwade
09-02-2014, 05:02 PM
3-0 TFC - Goalberto with 2, Bradley with the other.

3 Defoe - 0 Philly

molenshtain
09-02-2014, 05:15 PM
If that lineup is true...we are going to get MASSACRED on our left.....Morgan, Henry and Jackson.....not ONE of them are even COMPETENT defensively.....I see a 4-0 Philly win.....

Except for Jackson and Henry...

jloome
09-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Except for Jackson and Henry...

LOL, I love how people continue to shit on Henry for the odd boneheaded younger player play when he's so dominant so often. Look up his ratings on the online stat databases; some have him at over 7 a game and our best player. I'm not going that far but if people don't recognize what we've got with him yet, they'll wonder what the fuss is when he goes overseas. He's still young, but he's becoming a dominant central defender.

ManUtd4ever
09-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Listening to Vanney's interview after practice today, I think we will see a more aggressive squad that will try to dictate play as opposed to sit back and wait for the opportunity to counter.

I think that style of play suits our personnel far more than Nelsen's strategy, and myself and many others have echoed those sentiments many times this season.

Super
09-02-2014, 06:59 PM
I feel bad for Vanney in a way, because if we lose this game badly, then everybody is going to say: why did we fire Nelsen for this? BUT if we win the game then Vanney will be a hero!

Jack
09-02-2014, 07:02 PM
LOL, I love how people continue to shit on Henry for the odd boneheaded younger player play when he's so dominant so often. Look up his ratings on the online stat databases; some have him at over 7 a game and our best player. I'm not going that far but if people don't recognize what we've got with him yet, they'll wonder what the fuss is when he goes overseas. He's still young, but he's becoming a dominant central defender.
I love what I see from him, but man, his boneheaded moves sure are spectacular :)

ag futbol
09-02-2014, 07:32 PM
I'll be interested to see how / if Morgan plays. The league certainly found him out after a while (no right foot, can be forced into bad decisions when put under pressure) but he did play a heck of a lot better under certain systems/coaches than others.

If they invert Osorio and actually run Morgan into space he does put in a good cross.

Alonso
09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
I feel bad for Vanney in a way, because if we lose this game badly, then everybody is going to say: why did we fire Nelsen for this? BUT if we win the game then Vanney will be a hero!

Yup, and as fans we need to realize neither of those two scenarios will be true.

He isn't the second coming of Christ based on one game and he sure isn't worse that the previous coach based on one game either.

Hopefully as a group we can play it level headed and watch all ten games out before getting into a frenzy one way or the other.

Pint
09-02-2014, 08:01 PM
bendik
bloom - hagglund - henry - Morgan
oduro - osorio - Bradley - lovitz
Gilberto - Moore

speckles
09-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I'm look at this over ten games. Actually have more interest is this game now than last thou!!

reggie
09-02-2014, 08:19 PM
if they lose tomorrow..im staying away from this forum...it will be full of the red patch aborters:):scarf:

DOMIN8R
09-02-2014, 08:41 PM
-------------Joe---------------
-----------------------------------
Mark----Bradley-----Doneil-----Nick
-----------------------------------
-------------Michael-----------------
------------------------------------
Domenic------DeRo<------>Jonathan
------------------------------------
-----Junior--------------Luke------

I would insert Bright - but that would be too much change, for the squad, at one time me thinks.

Subject to game read.........

Sub Collen for Dero - if necessary.
Sub Jackson or Lovitz (with shift) for any midfielder who needs replacement
Sub Ashtone for whoever needs replacing on the back line (with shift - if necessary).

Pookie
09-02-2014, 08:49 PM

I actually think Vanney is in the best possible spot.

People generally fall into a couple of camps.

1) Nelsen sealed his own fate with that press conference

2) Bez over-reacted

Either camp will see Vanney as Switzerland in this. A neutral.

It either fails and blame will fall to Bez… being too quick on this decision or making it at the perceived wrong time.

Vanney will go back to the Academy and his resume will read that he tried but didn't have enough time with the team to implement his plans… which may be true with two games in four nights and two or three training sessions between them.

Or it works and all credit will go to Vanney with Bez getting some polite applause for making the call. Those in camp #2 will say he is lucky it worked out.

The one losing sleep is probably Bez. The one getting up with a big smile on his face and can't wait to go to work is Vanney.

The one getting up in England wondering what the hell happened is Defoe… sorry wrong thread ;)

ag futbol
09-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 15m (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/506552162738900992)
Another Recall From #canMNT (https://twitter.com/hashtag/canMNT?src=hash). RT @CanadaSoccerEN (https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN): roster update: Ashtone Morgan released from camp to join up with @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) in Philadelphia

shwade
09-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Is Vanneys plan just to play all the Canadians? Good thing bekkers not here then.

khso11
09-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Can't wait to see the new tactics. Will be at there to support the Reds. My guess, 2-0 for the good guys.

ManUtd4ever
09-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Is Vanneys plan just to play all the Canadians? Good thing bekkers not here then.

Morgan is the only healthy natural left back available at the moment. I think it's worth a try as opposed to playing people out of position, which has happened far too often this season.

OgtheDim
09-02-2014, 10:50 PM

No.

The quote about Canadians is being taken out of context.

ag futbol
09-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Why does every comment have to be taken in the context of Nelsen?

We've had more than a few managers here who simply would not play Canadians. Not because of talent, but simply because they were stuck in their ways. Important for anyone who takes over here to clear the air.

I personally have no issue with the way Nelsen treated Canadians, and that was one of the thing I admired about him. Valuations of who could do the job seemed fair. He might not pick out the qualities I agree with, but I never felt someone was slighted because they were a local player. Compare that to some of the guys we had here, who used it as a crutch.

v00d00daddy
09-03-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm so excited to see the game tonight. Wanna see how Vanney has them moving differently…even if it's the same formation.

I hope the players are pumped and motivated to play for their new coach and turn the tables on the playoff slump.

I think we'll do well. I hope Osorio plays well and we don't use Oduro much…if at all.

v00d00daddy
09-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Why does every comment have to be taken in the context of Nelsen?

We've had more than a few managers here who simply would not play Canadians. Not because of talent, but simply because they were stuck in their ways. Important for anyone who takes over here to clear the air.

I personally have no issue with the way Nelsen treated Canadians, and that was one of the thing I admired about him. Valuations of who could do the job seemed fair. He might not pick out the qualities I agree with, but I never felt someone was slighted because they were a local player. Compare that to some of the guys we had here, who used it as a crutch.

Here's where I kinda disagree with you.

I totally agree if you mean that we shouldn't play inferior players over better ones just cause they're Canadian.

What I hate is that TFC has become less of a place to seek out and develop Canadian players. Even the ones they play is not to their benefit (Osorio).

He gets lots of playing time but not where he'd flourish. Henry is the best advancement and personally, I'd like him to be taught by different defenders than the O'Deas, Caldwell's and Nelsens of the world. lol

Pookie
09-03-2014, 10:02 AM
I see the Canadian question as a two way street.

TFC should look to give opportunities to Canadian players as it is a source for player acquisition outside of the draft. But in order to give opportunities to Canadian players it absolutely needs to take the Academy/player development seriously and invest heavily in the program. That includes residency options, scholarship opportunities, massive scouting (beyond the GTA), options for players over 18, working tighter with the OSA and affecting change at that level, etc.

If they simply start Canadians because they have a flag on their passport, that's a recipe for failure.

Wooster_TFC
09-03-2014, 10:06 AM
4-4-2 could easily not be a flat mid 4.

I'd love to see a diamond, but with Bekker and DeRo not available, I don't think we have the central midfielders to do it, unless you think Jackson can play in that role.

I wonder if we see Dike or Oduro up top with Gilberto. If Vanney wants to press hard, I feel that Moore does too much jogging around for that.

This is what I'd like to see:

----------------------Bendik--------------------------
Bloom-------Hagglund----Henry------------Morgan (only because I have to)
----------------------Warner-------------------------
----------Jackson-------------Osorio----------------
----------------------Bradley------------------------
---------------Oduro--------Gilberto-----------------

Here's what I think Vanney will put out:

----------------------Bendik--------------------------
Bloom-------Hagglund----Henry------------Morgan
Oduro---------Bradley------Warner----------Osorio
---------------Moore--------Gilberto-----------------

Wooster_TFC
09-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Interesting

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/489836368873287680/0jHTlqu__normal.jpegJohn Molinaro @JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) · 42m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/506827371237097474)

Looks like #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) academy coaches Jon Conway and Nick Thesolf working with Vanney and the players on the field at practice this morning.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/489836368873287680/0jHTlqu__normal.jpegJohn Molinaro @JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) · 38m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/506828264367996928)

Jason Bent staying on as #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) assistant coach. Theslof and Conway are also assistant coaches, we're being told.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Theslof

Based on resume alone (which doesn't say much mind), Nick Thesolf will be better than any of the assistants Nelsen had on the bench.

ManUtd4ever
09-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Henry has improved substantially since his horrid start to the season. He is a dominant presence at the back. His only glaring weakness is his ability to distribute, but hopefully that will improve over time.

MartinUtd
09-03-2014, 10:55 AM
I'd venture a guess that Morgan is nailed on after his recalled from the Canadian NT. I'd be satisfied with Henry and Hagglund/Orr in the middle and I doubt we'll see too much change up front and in the middle. Maybe see more of Lovitz since Jackson is having a rough stretch.

hulkrogan
09-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Speaking of formations, if I remember correctly, we got crushed every time Nelsen came out with something other than a 4-4-2. I always wondered about that. The team seemed to look pretty organized and comfortable in a 4-4-2, but when they attempted to kick things to the next level with a formation change, it always backfired.

QBall
09-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Union have never lost to TFC at PPL Park. Time for TFC to set some records tonight. First win for Vanney and first win at PPL park.

OgtheDim
09-03-2014, 11:44 AM
I'd venture a guess that Morgan is nailed on after his recalled from the Canadian NT. ...

For this game.

When Morrow gets back in 3 weeks or so, Morgan goes back to the bench.

Initial B
09-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Union have never lost to TFC at PPL Park. Time for TFC to set some records tonight. First win for Vanney and first win at PPL park.Well, there were a couple of games this season where teams came in to BMO Field with the same stat and ended up winning. Here's hoping TFC can do the reverse. But I'm still saying 3-1 Philly. Maybe 3-2 if we're lucky.

barticusz
09-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Henry has improved substantially since his horrid start to the season. He is a dominant presence at the back. His only glaring weakness is his ability to distribute, but hopefully that will improve over time.

The only thing that Henry needs to do is improve his decision making and then decide to play to his strengths. Aggressive tackling where required, but not in the box unless it's clear cut, and to pass the ball off to someone else who can distribute it. He doesn't need to be a Hummels. I've enjoyed watching him progress this season and I do think his ceiling is very high still.

OgtheDim
09-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Hmm....no Expedia projected starting lineup on the FB page.

Good.

ag futbol
09-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Here's where I kinda disagree with you.

I totally agree if you mean that we shouldn't play inferior players over better ones just cause they're Canadian.

What I hate is that TFC has become less of a place to seek out and develop Canadian players. Even the ones they play is not to their benefit (Osorio).

He gets lots of playing time but not where he'd flourish. Henry is the best advancement and personally, I'd like him to be taught by different defenders than the O'Deas, Caldwell's and Nelsens of the world. lol
In a nutshell, all I'm saying is he treated everyone equally. I might not agree with his methods, but he was fair.

Did not get that impression from some prior coaches, who would rather have lived and died with USL journeymen rather than take a chance on a local player, even if that player seemed vastly superior.

MartinUtd
09-03-2014, 01:15 PM
For this game.

When Morrow gets back in 3 weeks or so, Morgan goes back to the bench.

Yeah for sure. In retrospect "nailed on" was a bit too strong, but until Morrow is back I expect Morgan to get the lions share of the time at RB.

BuSaPuNk
09-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Hmm....no Expedia projected starting lineup on the FB page.

Good.

Maybe that was Nelsen or Brennans responsibility hahaha

Donald Duck
09-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Maybe that was Vanney responsibility before. Thats why the expedia projected starting lineup always so off compare to the real line up g:D

notthesun
09-03-2014, 01:44 PM
They just posted the Expedia Starting 11. Have a look... :lol:

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/507234151066398720

OgtheDim
09-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Now that is smart.

gdg_9
09-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Bendik
Bloom - Hagglund - Henry - Morgan
Osorio - Warner - Bradley - Lovitz
Moore - Gilberto

Time to give Morgan a shot as the only healthy true LB on our roster.
Would also like to see Lovitz get a shot. I've liked what I've seen from him in the minutes he's played so far.

Oduro has looked ineffective recently... fast, but poor quality on the ball.
But this leaves him to come on late and run at tired defenders, which I think is the role he is best suited for anyway!

Ultra & Proud
09-03-2014, 02:18 PM

I like this team. I think we got a shot.

trane
09-03-2014, 02:25 PM
I have long thought a system similar, to what that dude "Jack" whomever he may be is suggesting would be best for this team, may invert the mid to 2 DMs 1 CM/AM as opposed to a 1 DM two 2 CMs, but generally the look is similar. We have the players.

Ivy
09-03-2014, 03:24 PM

Gotta play more games together. Haven't unlocked those characters yet.

Cas87
09-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Maybe you need to trade in your online trading cards to see who starts

Cuppy
09-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Maybe you need to trade in your online trading cards to see who starts
Kapppooowwww

portu
09-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Bendik; Bloom, Henry, Hagglund, Morgan; Lovitz, Warner, Bradley, Osorio; Moore, Oduro

Remember there is no way this is a 4-5-1 given the fact that Vannery has stated several times that he plans to stick with a 4-4-2

Oduro over Gil is a big shocker (resting him for Saturday?) but I reserve my judgement until I see Oduro up top for us also nice to see Morgan get a run out.

Update: Gil has a calf problem, though still interesting that he went with Oduro instead of Dike up top

adam1001
09-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Bendik; Bloom, Henry, Hagglund, Morgan; Lovitz, Warner, Bradley, Osorio; Moore, Oduro
Gilberto on the bench?

portu
09-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Gilberto on the bench?
Yup.

notthesun
09-03-2014, 05:18 PM
As per de Vos Gilberto has a tight calf and Vanney didn't want to risk him going 90 minutes with another game on the weekend coming up.

Probably smart, although disappointing today. Look what happened to Caldwell when we rushed him back.

pdubs
09-03-2014, 05:32 PM
yep agreed. Also will be interesting seeing Oduro up top with that speed. Originally that is the position I thought he was going to play when we brought him in.

OgtheDim
09-03-2014, 05:39 PM
And........the game is blacked out on MLS Live.

barticusz
09-03-2014, 05:40 PM

Saw the following on Reddit: not sure if it works or not.

http://nlds43.cdnak.neulion.com/nlds/mls/philadelphiaunion/as/live/philadelphiaunion_hd_4500.m3u8

portu
09-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Looking at the lineup via the picture of the team sheet that Vanney filled out (its on twitter if you're wondering) it looks as if its Oso and Bradley in the middle with Lovitz on the right and Warner on the left.

dupont
09-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Damn. No Gilberto is a real loss but definitely don't want to risk injuring him. I don't think our chances are very good with that lineup on a road game. Actually with how we are defending lately, it could really end up in an embarrassing scoreline. (obviously I would love to be wrong though)

pdubs
09-03-2014, 05:52 PM
not that we need reminding but this hurts

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 13s (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/507298282691776512)
The Sokoloff Lawyers Inactive Report: Roberts, Morrow, Caldwell, Creavalle, Bekker, Jackson, De Rosario, Defoe. #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash)

dupont
09-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 13s (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/507298282691776512)
The Sokoloff Lawyers Inactive Report: Roberts, Morrow, Caldwell, Creavalle, Bekker, Jackson, De Rosario, Defoe. #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash)

Sokoloff Lawyers can kiss my ass!

speckles
09-03-2014, 05:56 PM
not that we need reminding but this hurts

Seems to have been a long list all season, doesn't help the coaches does it.

T-boy
09-03-2014, 06:00 PM
As I've watched Oduro play I often think he will be better down the centre - when he runs down the wing he doesn't know what to do with the ball - but he will frighten CB's if he runs directly down the centre of the field at them.

ag futbol
09-03-2014, 06:12 PM
They just tweeted the starting lineup: Warner out, Lovitz in, also morgan

flamehawk
09-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Nope Warner stays, it's Gilberto that is out as he's not 100%

molenshtain
09-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Warner's starting on that team sheet?

__wowza
09-03-2014, 06:18 PM
TFCs holding down the right bumper tonight.

pdogg
09-03-2014, 06:19 PM

Such BS.. Definitely not renewing next year, the amount of blacked out games increased, and the games that were available had technical issues.

jabbronies
09-03-2014, 06:23 PM
5 minutes in - late to every ball. Hope this isn't the tone being set for the rest of the match

dupont
Saw the following on Reddit: not sure if it works or not.

http://nlds43.cdnak.neulion.com/nlds/mls/philadelphiaunion/as/live/philadelphiaunion_hd_4500.m3u8

Holy shit! That is the clearest and best stream I've ever seen! Thanks so much for posting it! (I loaded it in VLC Player for anyone else that needs a good stream)

PopePouri
High line. I like that.

jabbronies
09-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Holy shit! That is the clearest and best stream I've ever seen! Thanks so much for posting it! (I loaded it in VLC Player for anyone else that needs a good stream)

How do you load it into VLC? I'm on a Mac and it's saying it can't read it

flatpicker
09-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Pretty thin attendance in Philly.
Is that normal?

PopePouri
09-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Pretty thin attendance in Philly.
Is that normal?

Typical mid-week game.

MightyDM
09-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Boy, we are going to need five goals to win with that line up. Holy moly.

ag futbol
09-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Weekday games still a tough sell in markets.

Alonso
09-03-2014, 06:32 PM

Tunnel Bear

I am watching it on MLS Live as we speak.

flamehawk
09-03-2014, 06:32 PM

Enter the address into Media->Open Network stream

It was kind of laggy for me though, so I switched back to atdhe

dupont
09-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Media / open network stream. Then paste the link there

flatpicker
09-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Typical mid-week game.

Ah, yes.

cdnorman
09-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Tunnel Bear

I am watching it on MLS Live as we speak.

Tunnelbear + MLS Live package is mathmatics for N.American soccer heaven.

Alonso
Guys with MLS Live subscritption:

1. Install tunnel bear - It's free

2. start the stream on MLS LIve

3. message will appear that the game is blacked out

4. open up tunnel bear

5. pick United Kingdom

6. start tunnel bear (flick it on)

7. count to 8

8. refresh the tab that has the MLS Live stream

9. Voila! No longer blacked out.

10. turn off tunnel bear (trust me turn it off, for many reasons)

QBall
Man LeToux is fast.

flamehawk
09-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Did Gaddis just grab Osorio's throat????

mowe
09-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Going to be tough to score without Gilberto.

notthesun
09-03-2014, 06:39 PM
We're pressing very aggressively and Philly is just passing crisply around us. Have a bad feeling if things stay this way.

ag futbol
09-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Moore has to get that out of his feet.

QBall
09-03-2014, 06:41 PM
How did Casey not get a yellow?

pdubs
gilberto would have buried that chance that moore just had. or at least get a shot off

__wowza
why does this team always confuse "attacking football" with "pushing the ball up field as quickly as possible"?

notthesun
No yellow to Casey for a leg breaker, okay.

Alonso
09-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Anyone else notice that the forum "clock" is several minutes ahead?

People are posting 7 minutes into the future!

mowe
09-03-2014, 06:44 PM

This has bothered me for a long time.

Auzzy
09-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Ref is mostly shite.

molenshtain
09-03-2014, 06:45 PM
The boys have the right ideas most of the time, we're just lacking any crispness in our passing right now.

MightyDM
09-03-2014, 06:46 PM

In one of the other game threads it was an hour behind. Very confusing if you read it after the fact!

pdubs
09-03-2014, 06:47 PM
oduro uptop is dangerous

ag futbol
09-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Good catch. Didn't see that live.

QBall
09-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Second game in a row where Bradley hits free kick into the wall.

cdnorman
10. turn off tunnel bear (trust me turn it off, for many reasons)

Curious -- why turn it off? I've been using Tunnelbear without any problems at all (I have an annual subscription) and keep it on, but is there some nefarious thing I should know?

ag futbol
So no encroachment on that? He ran in front of the wall, lol.

MightyDM
09-03-2014, 06:50 PM
That guy ran before the ball was kicked! Come on ref! yellow, too.

speckles
09-03-2014, 06:50 PM
oduro uptop is dangerous

Finishing for him in this position has usually been the problem...

pdubs
09-03-2014, 06:51 PM

need gilberto to take anything 18' and in eh

cdnorman
I should mention, I just use Tunnelbear to watch the games, but don't keep it on all the time.

ag futbol
So phily wants to bring in a big name manager? Oh the irony.

MightyDM

I thought that too but actually he didn't, it was the guy encroaching into the space. Should have been a retake and a yellow.

Alonso
09-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Curious -- why turn it off? I've been using Tunnelbear without any problems at all (I have an annual subscription) and keep it on, but is there some nefarious thing I should know?

I don't have a subscription, so it eats up your data cap with them if you leave it on.

Also my stream is better if I turn it off.

notthesun
Looking better the past 15 minutes.

pdubs
Finishing for him in this position has usually been the problem...

yep for sure. but he stretches the CB's so much gives us a different look out there.

__wowza
09-03-2014, 06:53 PM
connor casey has this great will sasso thing going on right now.

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/02/14/previews/Will%20Sasso-SGG-038472.jpg

molenshtain
Morgan hasn't looked half bad.

cdnorman
I don't have a subscription, so it eats up your data cap with them if you leave it on.

Also my stream is better if I turn it off.

Smart. I got the subscription to avoid the cap. Mind you, I watch a lot of MLS so at some point I'd go over. Plus the Netflix is better, too.

pdubs
09-03-2014, 06:54 PM

at least we have a natural LB out there. better than our other options.

and this is his time to impress. hasn't featured this year. he needs to show us what he has... mostly defensively aha

__wowza

our entire backline hasnt looked half bad.

cdnorman
connor casey has this great will sasso thing going on right now.

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/02/14/previews/Will%20Sasso-SGG-038472.jpg

Nice!

cdnorman
09-03-2014, 06:57 PM
D's looking good. Midfield is pretty good. Offense is still waiting for Defoe.

__wowza
09-03-2014, 06:59 PM
D's looking good. Midfield is pretty good. Offense is still waiting for Defoe.

midfield has been nullified offensively. see my previous: "why does 'attacking football' always translate to 'get the ball up the field as quickly as possible?'"

__wowza
09-03-2014, 07:01 PM
whose organizing this defence? we're leaving huge gaps but tracking back and defending like motherfuckers.

notthesun
How fast is MacMath? God dammit

Carts
I thought that too but actually he didn't, it was the guy encroaching into the space. Should have been a retake and a yellow.

Noticed that too on the replay - and the dumb luck it barely hit his skinny twig leg...

QBall
09-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Zero shots on goal and zero corner kicks in the first half = we're not putting any pressure on Philly goal. Isn't this the exact opposite of Vanney's philosophy?

speckles
whose organizing this defence? we're leaving huge gaps but tracking back and defending like motherfuckers.

not much has changed...

flamehawk
A little worrying, Osorio sitting on the floor with physio.

speckles
Zero shots on goal and zero corner kicks in the first half = we're not putting any pressure on Philly goal. Isn't this the exact opposite of Vanney's philosophy?

too funny..the players are the problem..

ag futbol
Too bad both our DP strikers are out (late sub for Gilberto maybe?). Really toothless up top.

molenshtain
09-03-2014, 07:04 PM

#FiraVanney!!!

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:05 PM
A little worrying, Osorio sitting on the floor with physio.

He could be 'pulling a Casey' - that guy was down for a 3-mins from contact with......... air???

Auzzy
09-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Although a number of guys are trying hard, this doesn't look much of a statement game to me.

Also, no plan for building out of the back. The D is often trying to hold onto the ball and pass it rather than lumping it forward. But other than Bradley coming back very deep to pick up the ball, there's absolutely no idea how to bring it forward. Alot of guys are standing around in front of them, hands on their hips, thinking "hmmm I wonder what Henry and Hagglund are going to do with that ball."

Yohan
If not for MacMath's great timing coming off the line, TFC would have had 2 clear chances.

Carts
Too bad both our DP strikers are out (late sub for Gilberto maybe?). Really toothless up top.

Not starting Gilberto makes absolutely NO LOGIC at all - with his "lets attack / press" chat he's served to the media...

You have a big, fast, talented, striker who has recently found the back of the net...

Vanney's plan - keep that guy on the bench...

Auzzy
09-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Not starting Gilberto makes absolutely NO LOGIC at all - with his "lets attack / press" chat he's served to the media...

You have a big, fast, talented, striker who has recently found the back of the net...

Gilberto has a tight calf, doesn't want to risk giving him too many minutes tonight.

ag futbol
Henry and Hagglund aren't exactly great passers either, let's not forget. Ryan Nelsen school of defending, is really just kicking the ball away.

molenshtain

chill, he's injured.

QBall
1-0 SKC over NE Revs so far. Hopefully SKC can do us a solid.

adam1001
09-03-2014, 07:09 PM

Calf strain...

pdubs
09-03-2014, 07:09 PM

tight calf and 3 games in 7 days will do it

flamehawk
09-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Apparently, there's something wrong with his calf.

MightyDM
for the first time ever, I am not wearing TFC kit for a match, including away TV and MLS live matches. Maybe that will change my luck and I will get to watch a win.

Lumpy
Henry and Hagglund aren't exactly great passers either, let's not forget. Ryan Nelsen school of defending, is really just kicking the ball away.

Nelsen's gone. They have been "unleashed" by the coach.

pdubs
I like that we are trying to find oduro uptop but it seems far to often. need to find more ways going forward. at stretches we look ok but need some more creativeness.

and yes we need to learn how to pass lol

David_Oliveira
09-03-2014, 07:11 PM
What the hell is going on???? We can't put three passes together

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm glad, well not glad, to hear Gilberto is hurt and not just not starting...

You get what I'm saying! LOL

pdubs
09-03-2014, 07:13 PM
no doubt he might have netted one of those opportunities for us.

Lumpy
Bez on tv saying the attacking style is a long term project.

MikeM
You can't do anything with a flat 4-4-2. The two strikers are not involved in the build up at all. They are too high. The CMs can take turns coming to the ball but from there their options are limited or non-existent.

You have to move up and down the field with all 11 players. You have to do more running to make up for the fact that you are crowding the ball but crowding the ball will ensure possession and quick dispossession of the opponent.

The best way to play a 4-4-2 is like Atl. Madrid where the 2 strikers drop on top of the midfield and the whole team shifts from side to side, pressuring whenever the ball is on the sideline.

Our 4-4-2 is too spread out. It's a nothing formation tactic. It's like a default setup in children's house league.

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:14 PM
for the first time ever, I am not wearing TFC kit for a match, including away TV and MLS live matches. Maybe that will change my luck and I will get to watch a win.

If we win - we're coming to steal your kit...!!!!!! :flare:

g:D

David_Oliveira
09-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Worried about Oso going down. What should Vanney do? Sub Oso off to for Gilberto and send Oduro to the wing?

If Gila is struggling for fitness, maybe go with Dike?

Alonso
09-03-2014, 07:15 PM

You get what I'm saying! LOL

Pay attention Carts!

LOL g:D

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Pay attention Carts!

LOL g:D

I can't, I'm NOT drunk!!!! :facepalm:

pdubs
09-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 22s (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/507319469610655744)
I'm wrong... #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash) SubIn: GilbertoOut: Osorio

here we go boys

QBall
09-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Gilberto is on. New game!

Carts
If Gilberto scores, EVERYONE must buy me a BEER...

Deal? I agree... :drinking:

If he doesn't, well I'll just log off... LOL g:D

flamehawk
Gilberto on! How refreshing, subbing someone in with adequate time for them to influence the game.

I hope Oso isn't injured though!

molenshtain
Gilberto coming on for Oso

Auzzy
09-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Shit Gilberto score some goals but don't screw up your leg. We have enough injuries.

Osorio off at the half doesn't look good...

Red CB Toronto
09-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Gilberto out for the second 45, good to see.

QBall
09-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Wenger pissed away a golden opportunity.

MightyDM
09-03-2014, 07:20 PM
If we win - we're coming to steal your kit...!!!!!! :flare:

Just send the matches....

Alonso
09-03-2014, 07:21 PM
If Gilberto scores, EVERYONE must buy me a BEER...

Deal? I agree... :drinking:

If he doesn't, well I'll just log off... LOL g:D

I'll buy you a beer for every Gilberto goal.... IF we win.... no problem.

molenshtain
09-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Mcinerney for Wenger is still one of the all time worst mls trades.

speckles
09-03-2014, 07:23 PM

BS They just lack the skills...

Alonso
09-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Mcinerney for Wenger is still one of the all time worst mls trades.

Yeah Montreal won out on that one.

Lumpy
Bendikkkkkkkkkkkkk

Carts
Joe Bendik - THAT'A'BOY son!!!!

__wowza

confirmed: carts glad gilberto is injured.

Alonso
09-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Bendik is having a hell of a game so far!

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Well.............

QBall
Fuck. Well that was one hell of a play to get scored on.

shwade
Bendik is having a hell of a game so far!

Your fault!

ag futbol
That's all on Morgan, what was he thinking?

Morlesio14
09-03-2014, 07:28 PM
FUCK

Auzzy
Effing bullshit.

molenshtain
fuckkkkkk

Carts
I was hoping for a draw...

I'd rather tie 1-1 scoring a late goal than conceding...

notthesun
09-03-2014, 07:29 PM
FUCK. Gilberto we needed that.

Ugh, I have little faith in us getting back into this.

Auzzy
Mark Bloom can't keep up with Conor Casey? Come on...

Red4ever
Good marking. Solid.

Alonso
Your fault!

:facepalm:

Red4ever
09-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Ugg. Finish that you twat.

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Check out that last corner!!!!

I don't care if our coach was Jesus Christ - you ain't winning with that kind of skills off a dead ball! LOL

MikeM
09-03-2014, 07:31 PM
This team will only make the playoffs if Bradley plays as a single defensive midfielder. The gap between the midfield and defence is far too big for a professional team. The CBs have no cover and are constantly fighting decisions of whether to press up or sit deep. Henry has no chance like this, he will get caught out over and over.

Auzzy
09-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Ugh that corner. At least have someone in the back of the box if there's a danger of it going to long. Knocking the ball back in from the opposite side is always dangerous.

pdubs
09-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Taylor Twellman ‏@TaylorTwellman (https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman) 2m (https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/507322898525458433)
Morgan/Henry absolutely kill @TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/torontofc) on that counterattack goal yet why would anyone be surprised?! #PHIvTOR (https://twitter.com/hashtag/PHIvTOR?src=hash)

Matthew Doyle ‏@MLSAnalyst (https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst) 1m (https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst/status/507323169028333568)
@TaylorTwellman (https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman) looked like puppies chasing the same tennis ball.

__wowza
09-03-2014, 07:33 PM
lovitz with some of that FIFA 14 shit there.
that kids got some control.

ag futbol
09-03-2014, 07:34 PM
If Henry wants to slow up the attacker great, but Morgan was criminally stupid going to the ball rather than following the run.

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Frustrating... Even when we do the right things - we're just a yard off or a touch too hard...

MikeM
09-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Taylor Twellman ‏@TaylorTwellman (https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman) 2m (https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/507322898525458433)
Morgan/Henry absolutely kill @TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/torontofc) on that counterattack goal yet why would anyone be surprised?! #PHIvTOR (https://twitter.com/hashtag/PHIvTOR?src=hash)

Matthew Doyle ‏@MLSAnalyst (https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst) 1m (https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst/status/507323169028333568)
@TaylorTwellman (https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman) looked like puppies chasing the same tennis ball.

Yes but if they don't chase the ball Philadelphia attackers will be able to turn and run at them with pace. Usually the CMs are there to protect the defence but both of ours are routinely up the field leaving just a flat-footed back line. We don't use the fullbacks in attack so our CMs try to make up the numbers up front. Everything is wrong IMO.

Yohan
09-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Bloom is playing like a dad distracted about his newborn kid

Carts
I'll buy you a beer for every Gilberto shot on target.... .... no problem.

Well at least I'm getting one beer on Saturday so far...

Alonso
Frustrating... Even when we do the right things - we're just a yard off or a touch too hard...

Yeah that pass to Moore was a great thought.

Just not executed.

Jack
09-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Poor Ashtone Morgan.

QBall
09-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Gilberto needs to do better than that.

Alonso
09-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Well at least I'll buy you ten beers on Saturday...

What?!?!

Auzzy
Oh ah so frustrating.

Yohan
i'm surprised he managed to get that pass down and get a shot off on his weak foot

Red4ever
Bloom is heinous.

__wowza

fantastic touch to settle the ball though.
it was like he snatched that out of the air with a baseball glove.

flamehawk
09-03-2014, 07:40 PM
If Gilberto got that in, may well be a contender for goal of the season, what a touch.

pdubs
09-03-2014, 07:40 PM

that first touch my god lol. def needs to finish that tho

ag futbol
09-03-2014, 07:42 PM
How many fouls in the middle of the park does it take before this idiot goes to his book?

MikeM
09-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Where do they find players like Warner? He hides from the ball all match. As a CM he does nothing to help his CBs with the ball. Bradley runs twice as much.

Carts
How many fouls in the middle of the park does it take before this idiot goes to his book?

I know eh...

I guess the answer is; in the MLS it be can 1-foul in one match, or 1,253 in another...

__wowza
lovitz with a stomp. jesus.

ag futbol
Bloom is heinous.
Beginning to believe that our defensive system previously masked bad individual defenders. These guys are blowing some very basic rotations.

pdubs
09-03-2014, 07:45 PM
morgan is just pure shit. want to see him succeed but bah

ag futbol
09-03-2014, 07:46 PM
We need some fresh legs. Lot of huffing and puffing out there right now.

Lumpy
09-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Time for the Weedman or Dike

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Our CORNERS are PATHETIC...

I mean, we should be able to deliver a proper ball into the box...

ag futbol
Well, I don't think his confidence is coming back after this. Tough spot to be in, but really what are you doing putting your hand on the guy like that?

dupont
jeez

QBall
Morgan didn't have a choice. Sucks that he got the red but can't blame him.

MightyDM
09-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Hmmmmm. Perhaps it wasn't all Nelsen? Perhaps when he decried injuries etc. he was correct.

Jack
And there you go. Morgan's night ends on a perfect note.

iansmcl
Yep.

molenshtain
09-03-2014, 07:50 PM
good night

Carts
Well, hand Bendik the man of the match - for what its worth...

Super
Bendik has kept us in this game.

Alonso
Is that the end of Morgan's career?

notthesun
Morgan did what he had to do. Hagglund royally fucked up.

Hey Bez, you want to make the playoffs? Get a fucking CB.

portu
Since gd doesnt matter in mls we should honestly just go for the win

QBall
Bendik has saved our ass twice tonight.

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:51 PM
10-Men...................REMEMBER KC...

Lumpy
09-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Subs please

__wowza
can't wait to see the long pass completion stat.

MightyDM
I actually think they need to sit Bradley for a game or two. There has been something wrong since he returned from the world cup. It isn't his skill, but there is something wrong, and he hasn't been the same player for us that he was before the break.

ag futbol
The sad part is this Phily team isn't terribly impressive.

Alonso
09-03-2014, 07:53 PM
10-Men...................REMEMBER KC...

I feel something...

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:53 PM
At this point, get the ball to Bradley in the box - and then DIVE, HIT THE TURF, GO DOWN, TAKE A BULLET...

Carts
09-03-2014, 07:54 PM
I feel something...

You looking at the Kate Upton hacked photos? Ya they'll do that... g:D

ag futbol
09-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Two footed, from behind challenge by Warner, ref sees nothing wrong... okay then.

QBall
09-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Don't know if there's enough time for Dike to change things.

Alonso
You looking at the Kate Upton hacked photos? Ya they'll do that... g:D

Jennifer Lawrence

iansmcl
Why can a professional team not get a corner into the freaking danger area? When was the last time we were ever dangerous on a corner?