PDA

View Full Version : coaching options

SoccerMan
09-01-2014, 09:35 PM
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.. didnt know where to post

we have seen our team pay millions and millions on players.. gilberto, bradley, and defoe... we have seen the effect of expensive designated players in this league, they have been great (henry), poor (gallardo? LOL remember him?) and i feel the jury is still out on a lot of them (ie our dp's)

single players can only effect moments on games. defoe can score a 1 on 1, bradley can pick up the ball in the middle of park and play a world class pass that leads to a goal, but the teams play as a whole can only be effected by one person, the manager.

apologies if this idea has already been bought up, but why not bring in a world class manager? bradley is being payed 10 mill a year... very few managers get paid that well. picture a guy like gus hiddink or the like.. class manager who is journey man-like running the team?

not only do i feel this would improve a team further than a single player.. but the league as well...

thoughts?

Ultra & Proud
09-01-2014, 09:50 PM
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.. didnt know where to post

we have seen our team pay millions and millions on players.. gilberto, bradley, and defoe... we have seen the effect of expensive designated players in this league, they have been great (henry), poor (gallardo? LOL remember him?) and i feel the jury is still out on a lot of them (ie our dp's)

single players can only effect moments on games. defoe can score a 1 on 1, bradley can pick up the ball in the middle of park and play a world class pass that leads to a goal, but the teams play as a whole can only be effected by one person, the manager.

apologies if this idea has already been bought up, but why not bring in a world class manager? bradley is being payed 10 mill a year... very few managers get paid that well. picture a guy like gus hiddink or the like.. class manager who is journey man-like running the team?

not only do i feel this would improve a team further than a single player.. but the league as well...

thoughts?
Been said before but international managers don't generally succeed in MLS. Getting a big name like you are mentioning would be tough to get and tougher to keep. These managers don't get the single entity, salary cap structure usually and they would want full control (ie. no Bez or bean counter) and that usually spells trouble because the players here usually don't have the ability or IQ to play ambitious systems and it leads to relying on allocation to acquire internationals and having a crap crop of domestics on the squad. It would never last.

MightyDM
09-01-2014, 10:00 PM
DP Manager! Love it! David Moyes and Malky Mackay are available!

BuSaPuNk
09-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Yep these "high priced" international managers never work in MLS. There's way to much of a gap between how this leauge is compared to the rest of the world.

We would need to bring in a manager who knows the leauge and knows the ins and outs of getting the best out of not only DPs but NCAA players and such.

Unfortunately there's very few NA based managers that can do this and the majority are already managing in the leauge.

My pipe dream is Dichio getting all his badges done as he is still working on them and getting the call one day. There's no one that could get guys to die for that badge more then Danny.

SoccerMan
09-01-2014, 10:20 PM
sorry guys i beg to differ though... HYPOTHETICALLY we get pep guardiola... are you telling me he cannot do an infinitely better job than ryan nelson? i understand that the players may not have the IQ but dont you think that learning from a manager like him + the ideas a manager at that level can bring to the table would be better than the coaches we have in this league?

any examples of a top level manager that has been brought over?

Hamilton_Red
09-01-2014, 11:18 PM
This whole "international managers won't succeed here" thing is a myth. I can't really think of any that have been tried - Gullit's failure does not a theory make. The game is played on the pitch - a good manager can work with the players and get them performing beyond their recognized level. Spending world class money to get a top level manager would be the best money spent IMO. Neil Lennon ( champions league final 16 twice) - David Moyes - Tony Pulis all available. For me the key criteria is that they would be willing to stay a minimum of 3 years.

Not understanding the arcane, ever changing, and secret rules is hardly a criteria for picking a manager for goodness sake that's how we got Mariner. It's the most important decision a club makes.

Yohan
09-01-2014, 11:45 PM
This whole "international managers won't succeed here" thing is a myth. I can't really think of any that have been tried - Gullit's failure does not a theory make. The game is played on the pitch - a good manager can work with the players and get them performing beyond their recognized level. Spending world class money to get a top level manager would be the best money spent IMO. Neil Lennon ( champions league final 16 twice) - David Moyes - Tony Pulis all available. For me the key criteria is that they would be willing to stay a minimum of 3 years.

Not understanding the arcane, ever changing, and secret rules is hardly a criteria for picking a manager for goodness sake that's how we got Mariner. It's the most important decision a club makes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_coaches

notthesun
09-02-2014, 12:16 AM
If Vanney doesn't work out there's a certain bald headed man in Norway who may have reason to be interested in us.

Red CB Toronto
09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Having the two bald Bradley's would be fun.

Cashcleaner
09-02-2014, 02:25 AM
I think the consensus is clear that the most preferable option is to bring in a top coach MLS who has at least a few years of experience in this league specifically.

If you look at the most winning MLS head coaches (Arena, Schmid, Kinnear, Nichol, etc), you'll definitely see a pattern form. Generally, they've got quite a few years under their belt in MLS coaching, and prior to that a few years involved in either NCAA coaching and/or with any number of foreign or domestic pro leagues.

Personally, I wouldn't dismiss off-hand any international coach brought in if I thought it was a worthwhile risk, but this is a crazy league at times with crazy restrictions and rules. Much of that could be handled by Bez, but I can see a newcomer feeling way outside their comfort zone.

Regardless of all that, though. Let's at least give Vanney a chance. He's been an assistant at Chivas and has about a decade worth of league experience as a player.

Leedsoronto
09-02-2014, 07:10 AM
Agreed we should give Vanney a chance, plus he is coming from a winning environment as the Academy are exceeding all exspectations winning games with a positive attitude.

Red CB Toronto
09-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Vanney has to be given a chance, the last couple days have been a whirlwind, I am interested to see the makeup of his coaching staff come Wednesday night.

Initial B
09-02-2014, 07:43 AM
I am hoping that Vanney will bring in experienced help - unlike what Nelsen did. When you think about it, most of the coaching staff were the last hangers-on from the Anselmi years. That said, I think it will take time to vet personnel for these positions. I'm afraid it's time to preach patience again.

I wouldn't mind throwing money at a talented coach from one of the european leagues in the off-season. I have a feeling that MLS teams are going to make a big run on talented internationals once the Salary Cap goes up to $5 million in the next CBA. That should bring in enough quality to allow some managers to implement a more technical style of play.

ryan
09-02-2014, 08:16 AM

The typical MLS player doesn't have the skill or mind to play a system of a top tier manager. Hell, not even top tier, even "good ones".

They just don't see the game like that, which is why they play in MLS in the first place.

Canary10
09-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Vanney has to be given a chance, the last couple days have been a whirlwind, I am interested to see the makeup of his coaching staff come Wednesday night.

I agree. He didn't create the mess. Give him a chance to sort through it.

OgtheDim
09-02-2014, 08:18 AM
An MLS 3.0 manager needs to be nurtured. Robinson is a good example. Dichio might get there.

If there is a really really good assistant manager in MLS, might be worth a punt. And if anybody is going to know that person, its TB.

gdg_9
09-02-2014, 08:19 AM
If Vanney doesn't work out there's a certain bald headed man in Norway who may have reason to be interested in us.

THIS^^^

That's the one name that stands out in this list who isn't currently coaching in MLS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_coaches