PDA

View Full Version : End of Jim Brennan era..

Batman
08-31-2014, 05:17 PM
Seems to me that a bit lost in the Nelson firing, is that the assistants are now gone too.

Including, long timer Jim Brennan. (unless he's rehired in some other capacity)

So thanks for the memories Jim.

notthesun
08-31-2014, 05:20 PM
How many head coach firings did this guy survive? Great run Jimmy.

Batman
08-31-2014, 05:21 PM
exactly.. he seemed to scrape through a lot of them

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 05:23 PM
/fe4s49zjG10

reggie
08-31-2014, 05:24 PM
hope he gets another job with the club.

Batman
08-31-2014, 05:26 PM
/fe4s49zjG10

Perfect.. I had that goal in mind when I posted.

Was that season one on that first crazy road trip to Columbus?

Pookie
08-31-2014, 05:29 PM
Always an approachable guy. There's a book waiting to be written on his experiences within the club. Unfortunately, there may not be many of us left to buy it.

Best of luck to him.

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 05:35 PM
Always an approachable guy. There's a book waiting to be written on his experiences within the club. Unfortunately, there may not be many of us left to buy it.

Best of luck to him.

Pleeeeeeeease

It will be a best seller amongst all those that no longer follow the team and want the "dish" on the organization.

Red CB Toronto
08-31-2014, 06:08 PM
How could Jimmy not be retained, in reality the coach has his one or two guys and the rest are filled in. Look over the years how many assistants have been retained even after a midseason head coach change.

MKR
08-31-2014, 06:19 PM
the end of a gloriously below average era.

Yohan
08-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Apparently Jimmy B was offered a position within the club

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/31/toronto-fc-part-ways-head-coach-ryan-nelsen-hire-ex-us-international-greg-va

flamehawk
08-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Apparently Jimmy B was offered a position within the club

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/31/toronto-fc-part-ways-head-coach-ryan-nelsen-hire-ex-us-international-greg-va

You mean Bent?

Cashcleaner
08-31-2014, 06:33 PM
The article says it was Jason Bent who was offered a position.

Assistant coaches Fran O’Leary, Jim Brennan, and Duncan Oughton, along with goalkeeper coach Stewart Kerr, and strength and conditioning coach Adrian Lamb were also let go. Assistant coach Jason Bent was offered a position with the club.

I'm pretty sure Jimmy's gone.

mcolvy
08-31-2014, 06:38 PM
^ The article says it was Jason Bent who was offered a position.

Pretty sad, I saw Brennan leaving BMO complex with his wife and two girls heading to take in some of the CNE festivities last night. Seems like he could be useful to stick around and do something for TFC.....

Kaz
08-31-2014, 06:40 PM
This is the saddest part of today's happenings.

DOMIN8R
08-31-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm sorry to see him go. He was part of our sentimental history along with DD. Maybe DD is next (?). Out with the old and in with new and all that NYRB.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140104044620/horrormovies/images/1/19/Purge_Poster.jpg

Yohan
08-31-2014, 07:48 PM
apparently I can't read

boban
08-31-2014, 08:47 PM
hope he gets another job with the club.
Why?

How could Jimmy not be retained, in reality the coach has his one or two guys and the rest are filled in. Look over the years how many assistants have been retained even after a midseason head coach change.
How can he stay?

Pretty sad, I saw Brennan leaving BMO complex with his wife and two girls heading to take in some of the CNE festivities last night. Seems like he could be useful to stick around and do something for TFC.....
This is cut throat business

This is the saddest part of today's happenings.
Why?

Amazing the sentiment here. This guy survives what, 4?? 5? coach firings and never been to the playoffs, no part of success and you want him to stick around for what?
I'm sorry, but he is offering nothing to the team and we need to not only change coaches when we do, but the assistant around them as well.
I hate to sound like TL but the culture needs to change everywhere including TFC. We need to bring in people who have accomplished something.
Good riddance Jimmy B, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

RedsYNWA
08-31-2014, 08:54 PM
Glad to see the back of another low talent opportunist

DOMIN8R
08-31-2014, 09:09 PM
I was wondering when the haters would stop by. Hi fellas!

boban
08-31-2014, 09:44 PM
I was wondering when the haters would stop by. Hi fellas!
Haters for what?
Is that all you got??

The guy has been on this team in some form or another for 8 seasons and all of them losing seasons and no playoffs!!
Thats not hater .. its a fact!!!!!!!!!
The man is toxic for this club.
I'm sure he's a nice guy. But that has fuck all to do with his coaching ability

This isn't some tree hugging league. If there are no results you lose your job. Pretty simple.

Now if you have some argument on some benefit he gave to the club, such as the reason why our defense is rock solid, then I'd be willing to listen.
If not, refrain with your lame ass hater bs comments.

Fort York Redcoat
09-01-2014, 08:43 AM
http://www.awesomesportslogos.com/ProdImages/tree-huggers.png

Apparently the tree huggers are in hockey and Portland. I don't know if the entire league is that way.

I really can't see much defence in Brennan staying through another coaching change but he's hardly so influential as to be "toxic". The kit manager has been here from the start.

Gazza
09-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Hopefully they'll give him his wall of fame poster back as a parting gift. Didn't like him as a player and he's had no success as a coach. About time they made this move.

This business isn't for the faint of heart. But it should have something to do with results on the pitch.

DOMIN8R
09-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Haters for what?
Is that all you got??

The guy has been on this team in some form or another for 8 seasons and all of them losing seasons and no playoffs!!
Thats not hater .. its a fact!!!!!!!!!
The man is toxic for this club.
I'm sure he's a nice guy. But that has fuck all to do with his coaching ability

This isn't some tree hugging league. If there are no results you lose your job. Pretty simple.

Now if you have some argument on some benefit he gave to the club, such as the reason why our defense is rock solid, then I'd be willing to listen.
If not, refrain with your lame ass hater bs comments.

I have no idea whether JB has been helpful or not. My position was one of sentiment only. I have no insight. And - oh yes, I understand the pragmatic underpinnings of business.

But - let's have a romp shall we, Sunshine? Since you have come out in favour of sacking everyone who seems connected to the team since it's inception, please tell me what Jimmy did to deserve your ire, other than he has been here since the beginning? Carmello and Malcolm have been here since the beginning. By your logic, they must go as well. Let's start a few new threads please. Purge. Purge. While we are at it - BMO stadium has been there since the beginning. What an opportunist. Burn the place to the ground.

I want to give you the space to voice your insight. Was it his soul patch, his name on our wall of honour or do you have some understanding of the specific cause and effect in the specific context of TFC to tell us why he MUST go. Enlighten us on your deep understanding of the inner workings of team management.

Elaborate on his being toxic and unable to coach. Pretty hateful, IMO. I stand by my post.

Pure insanity that we continue to think that cleaning house every 9 to 16 months is going to build us into contender.

Signed: Author of "lame ass hater comments".

TFC07
09-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Good.

Nice to see proper cleaning job for once when comes to coaching staff.

Jack
09-01-2014, 11:55 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what tree hugging has to do with whether people get fired or not.

boban
09-01-2014, 05:15 PM
I have no idea whether JB has been helpful or not. My position was one of sentiment only. I have no insight. And - oh yes, I understand the pragmatic underpinnings of business.

But - let's have a romp shall we, Sunshine? Since you have come out in favour of sacking everyone who seems connected to the team since it's inception, please tell me what Jimmy did to deserve your ire, other than he has been here since the beginning? Carmello and Malcolm have been here since the beginning. By your logic, they must go as well. Let's start a few new threads please. Purge. Purge. While we are at it - BMO stadium has been there since the beginning. What an opportunist. Burn the place to the ground.

I want to give you the space to voice your insight. Was it his soul patch, his name on our wall of honour or do you have some understanding of the specific cause and effect in the specific context of TFC to tell us why he MUST go. Enlighten us on your deep understanding of the inner workings of team management.

Elaborate on his being toxic and unable to coach. Pretty hateful, IMO. I stand by my post.

Pure insanity that we continue to think that cleaning house every 9 to 16 months is going to build us into contender.

Signed: Author of "lame ass hater comments".
I have never supported every firing on this club. Actually, I did not support Winter being sacked and sacking Nelson now I think is ludicrous.
His sacking only highlights the rudderless ship that is MLSE. No change will come to this organization unless we have a clean break - yes someone or something buying 100% with no ties to past ownership. And that now rules out Bogers in my view. But that's a discussion for another topic.
Back to the firing of the coaching staff. The only reason why I support the line taken by Bez to get rid of the whole staff essentially is because past coach firings were partial for the staff. If you are going to fire Nelson, then get rid of everyone else. No sense in hanging onto dead wood and associations to that failure.

Toxic may have been a strong term, maybe corrupted would be better. Jimmy has been here since day 1. Always losing - playing or coaching. When he played for the mens national team, always losing. This man simply cannot offer anything positive, at least not in this organization. He was a defense-man and as an assistant was leaned on to provide his expertise to our back line. We lost 3-0 this weekend with a disorganized and listless defensive performance. We choked by conceding in the last minute last week. This is where his coaching comes in. Put it another way, do you think we lose anything bringing someone new?
Jimmy has been here through 4 or 5 coaches. When do you call uncle on his time with no positive results?
If you are going to fire then make it worth while and clean house.

DOMIN8R
09-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Yesterday, I wasn't sure whether getting rid of JB would make any difference. But after reading your post.....I still feel the same way! I just don't get how you can be so definitive about something you don't have evidence to support. That is all.

I get the first team management team purge principle. No problem there.

I believe that Pat's intention, with this thread, was to draw attention to Jimmy's departure. You agree with it. Cool. But don't make it seem that he was instrumental in our poor performance for 8 seasons. That's a bit rich given his stature as one player and an Assistant to the Assistant Coach.

Again, unless you have inside knowledge, speaking badly about him is just trolling for the sake of trolling. I stand by my original post.

That's all folks.

jabbronies
09-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Jimmy B was a shit coach.

There's a reason Jason Bent was kept on the staff. Anyone who's been to those Tim Hortons Open house coaching sessions could see his quality.
Jimmy B on the other hand was balls. His sessions at the open house clinics were fucking horrible and not very dynamic.

MarkEightThree
09-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Jimmy B should have been given a role similar to Frankie Hejduk's with the Columbus Crew - Brand Ambassador/Party Liaison.
Everyone loves the guy and he's a part of our history, but that doesn't mean he should have ever been a coach.

19Barrett19
09-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Jimmy B should have been given a role similar to Frankie Hejduk's with the Columbus Crew - Brand Ambassador/Party Liaison.
Everyone loves the guy and he's a part of our history, but that doesn't mean he should have ever been a coach.

^this

HeyToronto
09-02-2014, 12:13 PM
^this

I haven't read much of the other threads, but it is possible that RN and the rest of the coaching staff tried to mutiny Tim Bez and that's why they are all gone including that GK coach that everyone seemed to like.

David_Oliveira
09-02-2014, 12:52 PM
I agree that a full cleansing was needed but I feel for Jimmy. Would have liked to see him given a brand embassador role within the club

DOMIN8R
09-02-2014, 05:12 PM

There's a reason Jason Bent was kept on the staff. Anyone who's been to those Tim Hortons Open house coaching sessions could see his quality.
Jimmy B on the other hand was balls. His sessions at the open house clinics were fucking horrible and not very dynamic.

Aj has great coaching cred. So I will accept his assertion/opinion.

See ya Jimmy.

Chevy
09-02-2014, 05:30 PM

He seemed pretty adept at chatting up Rachael on the sidelines, but other than that I think his contributions as a coach were limited at best.

tfcleeds
09-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Jimmy B is one of the few constants throughout this clubs history which is the only reason I might feel any twinge of sentimentality. But the other common thread is that in all those years, we haven't been very good. So, onwards and upwards I say. Thanks for the memories Jim (especially that goal vs. the Yellow team in yr. 1) but time to move on.

Batman
09-03-2014, 07:02 AM
My intention with the thread was to simply highlight his exit.

His departure was kind of lost in all the other news.

Afterall, he's the only person as far as I know, that's been with this club through it's entire existance.

I can't really say, I know what he accomplished.

That strike that was shown earlier was one I remembered.

But, probably the most notable thing was he somehow survived all the other purges.

That must have taken some skill.

BuSaPuNk
09-03-2014, 08:35 AM
I wonder if they will go back and give him another position with the club? Even possibly helping Dichio with the u12 team?

Suds
09-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Hope he lands on his feet. Had a chance to meet him a couple of times and he was always friendly.

He's had a chance with TFC to try out a couple of different roles. (I believe he shadowed the GM for a while??) He clearly loves the game and I hope he finds a way to give back in a positive way in some manner.

ensco
09-03-2014, 10:30 AM
That strike that was shown earlier was one I remembered.

He scored probably the biggest goal in TFC history, and it's interesting, no one remembers it because of what happened afterwards.

In the second last game in 2009, Brennan scored to beat RSL (the same team that went on to win the Cup) and put us in a position where we controlled our destiny in the last game. It was a great game. (Highlights below. I had totally forgotten what a great game Brian Edwards had!)

The most memorable part: I can still picture Jason Kreis after the game in the press conference, not believing that Brennan had beat them with his right foot .

Of course nobody cared after the NY game. But it was still a huge goal to score, and maybe something worth remembering.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2009/10/17/highlights-tfc-1-rsl-0

Jpexxx
09-03-2014, 04:13 PM
^ I've never forgotten that goal.

I still wear my Brennan jersey to BMO every game with pride, and I will continue to.

Sad to see him go. Left everything on the field, and never half assed anything (how many TFC players in our history truely gave more for this team than Brennan?).

Almost played the entire 2007 campaign battling thru a broken wrist, a broken rib before finally being forced to sit the last few games out with a knee injury. I still believe he was forced out when he "retired" at the start of 2010 campaign.

Over the last 4-5 years on this board I saw quite a bit of negativity directed at Jimmy, and i'm not sure when the flip had switched. Dedicated servant to the club, and really the last of those associated with 2007 season.

I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

Richard
09-03-2014, 04:20 PM
^ I've never forgotten that goal.

I still wear my Brennan jersey to BMO every game with pride, and I will continue to.

Sad to see him go. Left everything on the field, and never half assed anything (how many TFC players in our history truely gave more for this team than Brennan?).

Almost played the entire 2007 campaign battling thru a broken wrist, a broken rib before finally being forced to sit the last few games out with a knee injury. I still believe he was forced out when he "retired" at the start of 2010 campaign.

Over the last 4-5 years on this board I saw quite a bit of negativity directed at Jimmy, and i'm not sure when the flip had switched. Dedicated servant to the club, and really the last of those associated with 2007 season.

I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

I think it was the moment he was appointed as Mo's assistant GM. It was very curious appointment at the time, I think that's when you could start to see the politics of TFC taking a hold of this club. Had he joined the academy it would have been different and much better, it was just a slap in the face for some people he got that position so easily.

DOMIN8R
09-03-2014, 05:21 PM

He was RPBs first Man of the Year in 2007 for his performance that year. I still have the picture of Jimmy with Cashcleaner and CanadianBoy in that first year - framed compliments of Coach.

TFC/Everton
09-03-2014, 05:36 PM
I remember being so happy after that game.

One of the best days I can remember at BMO Field.

He scored probably the biggest goal in TFC history, and it's interesting, no one remembers it because of what happened afterwards.

In the second last game in 2009, Brennan scored to beat RSL (the same team that went on to win the Cup) and put us in a position where we controlled our destiny in the last game. It was a great game. (Highlights below. I had totally forgotten what a great game Brian Edwards had!)

The most memorable part: I can still picture Jason Kreis after the game in the press conference, not believing that Brennan had beat them with his right foot .

Of course nobody cared after the NY game. But it was still a huge goal to score, and maybe something worth remembering.

Alonso
09-03-2014, 06:29 PM

My friend and I had a chance to meet Edwards and Frei at the 90th minute party later that year.

Long story short my friend was playing against Frei on the PS3 FIFA game.

Edwards and I were watching and commentating on the game, then I proceed to tell Brian that he had a great few last games.

He totally took it the wrong way thinking I was ribbing him for the loss against NYRB in the infamous last game of that year. He got up and left without saying another word.

I was being totally genuine, I thought he had a great few last games between the pipes. Obviously excluding the blow out which I never thought was his fault any way.