PDA

View Full Version : Defoe out also?

ag futbol
08-31-2014, 01:41 PM
#torontofc (https://twitter.com/hashtag/torontofc?src=hash) fires Ryan Nelsen and entire coaching staff. Jermain Defoe could be next to go -- to QPR -- in fallout of Leiweke departure.

notthesun
08-31-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure whether he is just speculating or if he's actually heard rumblings.

Never a dull moment with this team.

reggie
08-31-2014, 01:47 PM
lol with this club..they should sell tickets to the board room meetings,maybe defoe is not injured and are selling him back to epl.

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 01:49 PM
lol with this club..they should sell tickets to the board room meetings,maybe defoe is not injured and are selling him back to epl.

Those tickets would be genuine reported sellout crowds.:)

ag futbol
08-31-2014, 01:51 PM
He might just legitimately be having second thought about MLS and wants to go back to England. That's also a possibility.

I think he's a huge asset to this team but I have to wonder how all the players we have fit together. Despite much commentary about getting time to gel, Defoe-Gilberto is not a natural strike partnership.

If he's gone I hope we pick up an AM to play in front of bradley and play Gilberto in his best position: as a lone CF who rides the line and sprints behind the defence for balls played through.

Alonso
08-31-2014, 01:52 PM
If we replace him for a younger DP striker with serious potential I'm alright with it, as he hasn't played much.

But if we don't replace him, that's a shit message to send to the fans.

Pookie
08-31-2014, 01:52 PM
Wouldn't be the worst thing for the club. They could use a younger DP with better health odds. TFC cannot afford to not have 3 DPs in its line up until its domestic core (ie. US born drafted players) improves. I'd also suggest that the DP be either a mid-field or CB type to replace Caldwell. You'd have a very impressive spine if they did.

This was speculated back in late spring, early summer. Has little to do with the firing today I would imagine.

If there are wheels in motion for this, those on the inside are clearly well aware of the desires of all sides.

Alonso
08-31-2014, 02:00 PM
He might just legitimately be having second thought about MLS and wants to go back to England. That's also a possibility.

I think he's a huge asset to this team but I have to wonder how all the players we have fit together. Despite much commentary about getting time to gel, Defoe-Gilberto is not a natural strike partnership.

If he's gone I hope we pick up an AM to play in front of bradley and play Gilberto in his best position: as a lone CF who rides the line and sprints behind the defence for balls played through.

I'd be alright with an AM DP as well.

But they better replace him with some one good.

I'm totally out to lunch for suggesting Arturo Vidal, but why can't we be great?

I think he's got two years left on his contract though and they'll never give him up cheap.

pdubs
08-31-2014, 02:12 PM
anyway worst case not sure about MLS windows and all that but if we loan on Defoe now and bring nothing back.... talk about a backslash. Cannot see something like this happening. Maybe January. Again MLS has different transfer windows in comparison to Europe so not sure.

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 02:15 PM
How will MLSE market this? "something really big is happening and it happened, and its gone, poof"

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 02:17 PM
How will MLSE market this? "something really big is happening and it happened, and its gone, poof"

Why would they market someone leaving the club?

leafsman
08-31-2014, 02:23 PM
the transfer window closes tomorrow in europe so would be tomorrow or january if he was leaving.

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 02:28 PM
You missed my feeble attempt at sarcasm

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 02:32 PM
You missed my feeble attempt at sarcasm

points for trying...emoticons can help in this situation Chevy.

At least we'll have a couple happy people here that saw Defoe as an anchor mores around our necks than one of stability.

I'm not one of them but

...the beat goes on. As does the merry go round of personnel at our record breaking club.

notthesun
08-31-2014, 02:34 PM
Tweets from Ben Rycroft:

"Just two days ago was being told of rif between Nelsen and Bez. Big Tim was a fan. Little Tim thought he was not competent"

"From same conversation, Defoe wasn't happy in Toronto and Bradley would prefer a US club. Laughed it off but news today I'd give it weight"

"Scary thought. All of this"

We're so fucked. This is going to be an implosion for the ages.

Pookie
08-31-2014, 02:36 PM
MLS would also prefer Bradley with a US club… you'd think. Tim L was the reason he was here. I'd say both are risks.

I'd be fine with losing Defoe as he's really not here anyways. Bradley would be a bigger loss IMO as there are no immediate replacements.

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 02:39 PM
MLS would also prefer Bradley with a US club… you'd think. Tim L was the reason he was here. I'd say both are risks.

I'd be fine with losing Defoe as he's really not here anyways. Bradley would be a bigger loss IMO as there are no immediate replacements.I think by the end of the end of the day, the biggest news out of TFC will not be about the manager.

Pookie
08-31-2014, 02:40 PM
I don't see the Defoe (or Bradley) situation playing out until the end of the season. Could be wrong but I think today will just be about the coach and staff.

NolbertoS
08-31-2014, 02:41 PM
I wasn't a big Defoe fan, but now we can chase Forlan again or another DP next and if Bradley is leaving, buy Laba back from the Caps or look for another quality midfielder. The Caps suck up front, but if they could find a Morales type player for 600K in la Liga, why can't TFC either, oh and TFC should hire a spanish scout. In this day and age, need scouts scouring Central and South America.

Pookie
08-31-2014, 02:49 PM
The Toronto Star is now reporting that Defoe could be out. Maybe from the tweet but they reference a "source close to the situation."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2014/08/31/toronto_fc_fires_coach_ryan_nelsen_staff.html

ag futbol
08-31-2014, 03:14 PM
Very disapointing if Bradley wants out.

But in the end, maybe this club (and the toronto soccer scene in general) will stop worshipping the holly grail of somebody else's football and realize what we can do here at home and with "no-name" foreign players.

I would not complain if we had a Morales, Castillo, etc... on this team.

notthesun
08-31-2014, 03:25 PM
Bezbatchenko at the press conference right now re: Defoe

"We've received multiple offers and discussed them internally."

Sounds like he's as good as gone after this season.

v00d00daddy
He's already gone I think

pdubs
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 39s (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/506174080941580288)
Bez says #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) has received an offer for Defoe. Club is in talks. No decision has been made.

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Bezbatchenko at the press conference right now re: Defoe

"We've received multiple offers and discussed them internally."

Sounds like he's as good as gone after this season.
The key comment, "we will have more to say in 24 hours". A deal is in the works, no doubt.

pdubs
08-31-2014, 03:27 PM
if they transfer defoe out and not bring in a quality dp immediately... ie.. tomorrow.. then fuck that. and fuck you tfc. Hope Bez get`s this right, it is critical.

v00d00daddy
08-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Bez just said that Defoe is elsewhere due to his injury and they're talking about offers received and how Defoe feels about staying. We'll know in the next 24 hours (due to european transfer window closing then I guess) according to Bez.

That screams that Defoe is gone to me.

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 03:28 PM
He's already gone I think
Right, the comment about him leaving to get a second opinion, was referencing Defoe leaving Canada.

notthesun
08-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Well jesus. We're not even going to have enough time to get a replacement (not necessarily a striker, but anyone).

Fuck man. This sucks. Leiweke leaving torpedoed this club, or at least the current plan.

edit: Still talking about how "if things change" about Defoe... yup, he's gone.

NolbertoS
08-31-2014, 03:32 PM
If they've received offers, most likely they're finalizing the transfer for Defoe. I would hope Bez already had a plan in works for who's replacing Defoe. I doubt this Defoe wanting out, happened within the last month. If not, Gilberto has to step up to the plate to score goals. I would be more interested in the off season, as with Defoe gone, Bradley potentially wanting out. Looks like a good time to scour Europe for mid-table players and not necessarily a top name. If they want a top name, than go after Forlan again, or Ronaldinho. They may have lost step, but at least the name and marketing remains top priority that the average joe will still want to attend a TFC game.

Pookie
08-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Well jesus. We're not even going to have enough time to get a replacement (not necessarily a striker, but anyone).

Fuck man. This sucks. Leiweke leaving torpedoed this club, or at least the current plan.

edit: Still talking about how "if things change" about Defoe... yup, he's gone.

Well, technically… Defoe isn't playing in September so quite a big chance that he isn't here… even if he's here… you know?

notthesun
08-31-2014, 03:43 PM
Well, technically… Defoe isn't playing in September so quite a big chance that he isn't here… even if he's here… you know?

Would've been nice to squeak into the playoffs and ride him as long as possible. Gonna have to wait a while for the next DP now.

We all need to pray Gilberto stays healthy.

shwade
08-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Question:

Does this ruin our chances of landing a 'marquee' name? Even with all the bloody marketing it didn't turn into a bloody big deal.

notthesun
08-31-2014, 03:46 PM
Molinaro is reporting an $11 million bid from QPR has been made.

Given the circumstances... take that money and fucking run. We paid $10 million for him.

Christ. This team man. Running out of things to say.

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Question:

Does this ruin our chances of landing a 'marquee' name? Even with all the bloody marketing it didn't turn into a bloody big deal.

On the pitch? It didn't last. In the media and stands? It did the job. I can't believe where we would be if the majority of fans didn't stick around or come back to see if this team finally turned around. In most of the public eye we just admitted a season failure until we make the playoffs.

ag futbol
08-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Molinaro is reporting an $11 million bid from QPR has been made.

Given the circumstances... take that money and fucking run. We paid $10 million for him.

Christ. This team man. Running out of things to say.
Yeah, that turns out to be very punitive from a financial pov.

But brand wise TFC look terrible. They are going to have to explain (yet again), to a lot of people why they are pulling the plug on something they marketed non-stop.

Pookie
08-31-2014, 03:51 PM
Yeah, that turns out to be very punitive from a financial pov.

But brand wise TFC look terrible. They are going to have to explain (yet again), to a lot of people why they are pulling the plug on something they marketed non-stop.

Not to me they won't ;)

pdubs
08-31-2014, 03:54 PM
put that 30,000 seat stadium on hold! ahah. oh man.

Milanista
08-31-2014, 03:56 PM
In MLS you can't use 2 dp's on strikers. I would sell defoe and bring in an Attacking mid to help ease the ball possession placed on Bradley. Gilberto has played well and I think we can better use that money for a guy that can flat out pass and create

mcolvy
08-31-2014, 03:58 PM
In MLS you can't use 2 dp's on strikers. I would sell defoe and bring in an Attacking mid to help ease the ball possession placed on Bradley. Gilberto has played well and I think we can better use that money for a guy that can flat out pass and create

Agreed. Pedro Morales right now would make our team dangerous.

NolbertoS
08-31-2014, 03:59 PM

So which attacking mid is available next season?? Laba's transfer money is still owed. I say we ask for Morales, and abit of money and call it a day and bang, we finalize the Laba transfer and TFC gets there attacking midfielder. Or they could continually scour Europe and South America and get into another big fight with AFA over trying to lure a promising attacking midfielder from there club :p

shwade
08-31-2014, 04:00 PM
On the pitch? It didn't last. In the media and stands? It did the job. I can't believe where we would be if the majority of fans didn't stick around or come back to see if this team finally turned around. In most of the public eye we just admitted a season failure until we make the playoffs.

Who will still want to come here if it wasn't good enough for Defoe (it being the city, the team or the league.) Was Defoe upset that he wasn't receiving as much attention as he thought he would with all the marketing? And if that's the case will that help or hamper our pursuit of big names.I mean Frings liked that he wasn't bothered here but for a mid level intl player maybe they want tp be the big fish in the3 small pond.

ag futbol
08-31-2014, 04:31 PM
From today's presser: "Defoe is still a Toronto FC player"

http://typicaltfc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Joao-Plata-introduced-at-LDU-Quito-e1343077119174.jpg

God if I worked in media I might not be able to resist baiting him to say it, lol.

notthesun
08-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Hate to bring this shit up again but now it looks like we got rid of Laba so that we could loan Defoe for 3/4 of a season (which for the time he played was only 1/2 a season).

If we don't make the playoffs it's all for nothing.

speckles
08-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Question:

It took TL convincing the Board with the $$s couple with Nelson contacts to get Defoe...don't think any of that will occur in a hurry again. Combined with brainless management, Defoe and Nelson mostly likely bad mouthing us to all in sundry in Europe we will be look at MLS players going forward me thinks.

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 04:57 PM
It took TL convincing the Board with the $$s couple with Nelson contacts to get Defoe...don't think any of that will occur in a hurry again. Combined with brainless management, Defoe and Nelson mostly likely bad mouthing us to all in sundry in Europe we will be look at MLS players going forward me thinks.
If Gilberto was an avg striker in Brazil, and with the rise of Latin America, why do we waste time hunting for players in the UK? Anybody on that Costa Rican NT would be welcome here. Defoe leaving might be a good omen.

reggie
08-31-2014, 05:00 PM
never liked bringing in players from Europe...too pricey,caldwell 350k odea in that range,got to look to SA and AFRICA to find those gems.
if DEFOE goes got to get a #10 type player like morales.

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Is Higuain from Columbus available, even for the short term?

v00d00daddy
08-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Not sure we should say we spent lots of money brining in players from "europe". We all know where the money was spent and why.

I'm with Chevy on this one. Go find players in parts of the world where they're less expensive and more talented.

This makes me miss guys like Guevara and Laba.

v00d00daddy
08-31-2014, 05:04 PM
Is Higuain from Columbus available, even for the short term?

I'd love him. Not sure his style would be well accepted here though.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-31-2014, 05:19 PM
Im not mad if we replace Defoe with a player of comparable calibre in an attacking/creative position

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 05:40 PM
I'd love him. Not sure his style would be well accepted here though.

Is this cause he's British? It's cuz he's British isn't it.;)

Seriously more people would have more of an issue with him than Oduro coming from Columbus.

Not to say I wouldn't have to be on board as soon as he'd sign but I'd prefer another "British" player from outside our league.

And if I'm off base from where you're coming from what style of Higuains would be unacceptable?

notthesun
08-31-2014, 05:44 PM
Hold your horses?

Molinaro: Bez: "I believe [Defoe is] going to stay but there’s still time between now and the end of the transfer window.” #TFC

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/506208694594711553

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 05:45 PM
If Gilberto was an avg striker in Brazil, and with the rise of Latin America, why do we waste time hunting for players in the UK? Anybody on that Costa Rican NT would be welcome here. Defoe leaving might be a good omen.

We don't. We use contacts we already have in the UK. Hunting is for SA and this "rise of Latin America" has been pretty much decades long. You make it sound like no one watches the world cup.

gate7
08-31-2014, 06:15 PM
i prefer laba over defoe anyway.....I still fantasize of the day we play Bradley alongside Laba

v00d00daddy
08-31-2014, 06:16 PM
Is this cause he's British? It's cuz he's British isn't it.;)

Seriously more people would have more of an issue with him than Oduro coming from Columbus.

Not to say I wouldn't have to be on board as soon as he'd sign but I'd prefer another "British" player from outside our league.

And if I'm off base from where you're coming from what style of Higuains would be unacceptable?

Hahaha..I'm not sure our fan base (and those in this country in general) like the type of player as Higuain. A little dramatic yes he is. Not the quickest which people don't like. But I love his vision. His direction of his entire team. The way he links his back line and his goal scorers and the way he determines the pace of the game.

He's also very good on dead ball service. I love players like him. I don't think the whole team should be like him cause they'd look like old men and just get run by hahaha.

But a guy of his style is what we've almost never had. Guevara was close but not quite.

Think…a poor mans Pirlo. Slow but brilliant. lol

v00d00daddy
08-31-2014, 06:28 PM
And if my dream came true (I know it's not possible but I'll say it anyway lol) I'd go after a kid like Bryan Cristante.

Let me say of course that I'm totally biased because AC Milan is the other team I love but imagine this.

We get 11 million for Defoe and use it to get a 19 year old central midfielder who is kinda like Pirlo. Can be the deep laying central guy in a 4-3-3 (imagine him being the link between our defenders while he serves Bradley and Osorio) with the skill and technical ability to dictate the pace of the game.

Is a big kid and fast and strong too. Oh and don't forget. His pops was born in Canada and he has dual citizenship with Canada and Italy.

I know its a pipe dream but I would literally freak if they acquired him on loan for a couple years. Problem is that Milan would never do it. Not because of any reason other than the fact that he just wouldn't grow in to a better player here. He'd be the best player on the team.

Ok…my weird dream is over.

I hope they use the Defoe money well…if he leaves.

Supporting
08-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Pookie after finding out defoe is leaving:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa22/speeder2007/girls/randy_marsh.jpg

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 06:39 PM
And if my dream came true (I know it's not possible but I'll say it anyway lol) I'd go after a kid like Bryan Cristante.

Let me say of course that I'm totally biased because AC Milan is the other team I love but imagine this.

We get 11 million for Defoe and use it to get a 19 year old central midfielder who is kinda like Pirlo. Can be the deep laying central guy in a 4-3-3 (imagine him being the link between our defenders while he serves Bradley and Osorio) with the skill and technical ability to dictate the pace of the game.

Is a big kid and fast and strong too. Oh and don't forget. His pops was born in Canada and he has dual citizenship with Canada and Italy.

I know its a pipe dream but I would literally freak if they acquired him on loan for a couple years. Problem is that Milan would never do it. Not because of any reason other than the fact that he just wouldn't grow in to a better player here. He'd be the best player on the team.

Ok…my weird dream is over.

I hope they use the Defoe money well…if he leaves.

Kills me that we wait until the end of the transfer window to start looking.

Jack
08-31-2014, 06:43 PM
If we can get 11 million for a 31-year-old with bad hamstrings and groins, it's not a bad thing. I love his goal-scoring, but he had missed a lot of time this season and his injuries will get worse as he gets older, especially with the MLS schedule and playing surfaces. Going with Gilberto up front and bringing back Laba would be alright in my book, as would bringing in someone more creative. That said, we could probably get more out of Oso's creativity. I'd like to see a three-man mid with Osorio and Bradley in front of Warner as the destroyer, Gilberto up top between Moore and Oduro. I hope Bez can turn this situation into something positive.

I have to look at this in a positive perspective because holy fuck.

Cashcleaner
08-31-2014, 06:49 PM
I agree with most people saying that Defoe moving out won't be too big of an issue as long as he is properly replaced - or even Bradley for that matter. But that's really a big "if", isn't it? I could see the brass at MLSE saying that they've spent enough on TFC this season (despite possibly making money from dealing out Defoe and Bradley) and Bez would have to make do with the current roster and maybe a few filler players brought in solely to cover our departed FW and MF. Is it possible the board is giving up on this season with the intention to reset things (AGAIN) for 2015?

molenshtain
08-31-2014, 06:49 PM
I posted this in the transfer rumours section but it's applicable here:

Rumours are many people have seen Defoe house hunting in Shephards Bush.

Jack
08-31-2014, 06:52 PM
I agree with most people saying that Defoe moving out won't be too big of an issue as long as he is properly replaced - or even Bradley for that matter. But that's really a big "if", isn't it? I could see the brass at MLSE saying that they've spent enough on TFC this season (despite possibly making money from dealing out Defoe and Bradley) and Bez would have to make do with the current roster and maybe a few filler players brought in solely to cover our departed FW and MF. Is it possible the board is giving up on this season with the intention to reset things (AGAIN) for 2015?
I can't see them giving up on the season with us sitting in a playoff spot with games in hand. They might not all be football people, but they must be able to read the standings.

v00d00daddy
08-31-2014, 06:54 PM
If we can get 11 million for a 31-year-old with bad hamstrings and groins, it's not a bad thing. I love his goal-scoring, but he had missed a lot of time this season and his injuries will get worse as he gets older, especially with the MLS schedule and playing surfaces. Going with Gilberto up front and bringing back Laba would be alright in my book, as would bringing in someone more creative. That said, we could probably get more out of Oso's creativity. I'd like to see a three-man mid with Osorio and Bradley in front of Warner as the destroyer, Gilberto up top between Moore and Oduro. I hope Bez can turn this situation into something positive.

I have to look at this in a positive perspective because holy fuck.

I love what you're thinking. Maybe spend some cash on a central defender to run that back line. Someone a bit better than Caldwell. Don't hate the guy but he's too slow and too predictable. Can't distribute.

I'd love to see the midfield you brought up. That would be great service for Gilberto, Moore, Dike etc.

Richard
08-31-2014, 06:55 PM
I say sell him at that price, that's basically robbery at this point with all the injuries he has.

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 07:11 PM
Kills me that we wait until the end of the transfer window to start looking.

Kills me that the team imploded right now. If some one saw this series of events happening at this time they probably wouldn't be waiting till now to deal.

brad
08-31-2014, 07:27 PM

I'd be fine with losing Defoe as he's really not here anyways. Bradley would be a bigger loss IMO as there are no immediate replacements.

i wonder who is in the driving seat with regards to Laba's future - us or Vancouver. Based on performances this year, it Bradley out and Laba back would be a solid move

molenshtain
08-31-2014, 07:32 PM
i wonder who is in the driving seat with regards to Laba's future - us or Vancouver. Based on performances this year, it Bradley out and Laba back would be a solid move

qoutes all over that Laba is gone for good. significant allocation is what we'll receive in return.

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Striker Remy left QPR yesterday. Coincidence they are calling on Defoe now?

brad
08-31-2014, 07:38 PM
qoutes all over that Laba is gone for good. significant allocation is what we'll receive in return.

I read those as well, but I am wondering if this all changes the situation. Particularity if there is any smoke about the Bradley rumours.

Jack
08-31-2014, 07:42 PM
I love what you're thinking. Maybe spend some cash on a central defender to run that back line. Someone a bit better than Caldwell. Don't hate the guy but he's too slow and too predictable. Can't distribute.

I'd love to see the midfield you brought up. That would be great service for Gilberto, Moore, Dike etc.

I think it would be a more flexible tactic and also use our players better.

ag futbol
08-31-2014, 08:00 PM
Agreed more ability on the ball is needed from our backline. I wouldn't expect any moves until next year though.

NolbertoS
08-31-2014, 08:20 PM

Maybe Van is paying all of Laba's transfer fees to TFC, as MLS doesn't allow cash transfers between clubs. With all rhe money TFC is gettin next season, spend it on a young DP, preferably South American, like Argentinian and Uruguayan. Kevin Payne had the right idea, but he couldn't make the process go faster and smoother. I'm sure TFC will spend and splash next season too.

DOMIN8R
08-31-2014, 09:18 PM
ESPN stating that Defoe QPR move may be a loan.

greatwhitenorf
08-31-2014, 09:27 PM
As first reported many weeks ago by MOI, Defoe is off.

His family were told when he arrived that he was here to try to earn a spot on England's WC squad. Since he wasn't a starter at Spurs and they wouldn't sell him to a quality PL side, he took this option to try and force Roy Hodgson's hand. Score prolifically in MLS and hope his rivals flounder just enough to book a trip to Rio.

Didn't work and he's totally been on the rag ever since.

Now, Harry Redknapp is hoping he'll accept a long-standing offer to join QPR. By all accounts from family sources here in Toronto, it's virtually a done deal. Crystal Palace would be his fall-back option if something didn't work out with QPR. But highly unlikely. Doubtful that he'll ever play for us again.

I'm a Spurs fan. But I'll never cheer for Defoe again.

Gazza
08-31-2014, 09:30 PM
Like sands through the hour glass...

...losing Defoe AND Laba, soooo TFC.

burlington Red
08-31-2014, 10:05 PM

Replace Bradley with Laba or comparable, Bradley has been poor for us bar first couple of games

OgtheDim
08-31-2014, 10:23 PM
Replace Bradley with Laba or comparable, Bradley has been poor for us bar first couple of games

Laba can't pass like Bradley & can't lead like Bradley can.

You can use Laba as an important piece in a team puzzle. You can build a team around Bradley (at MLS level).

Both are good players, but, all other things being equal, teams would pick Bradley over Laba.

molenshtain
08-31-2014, 10:26 PM

he's not been "poor", just not as good as he was. He's had working within a system in which none of the players around him have defined roles and hes being asked to mask all of their deficiencies. couple that not having an actual break since last summer and a mountain of unwarranted hate after the world cup and I don't blame him for his not giving the best performances. We'll see the real Bradley next season.

Cashcleaner
09-01-2014, 02:11 AM
I can't see them giving up on the season with us sitting in a playoff spot with games in hand. They might not all be football people, but they must be able to read the standings.

Giving up might not be the best way to say it. But installing Vanney to me suggests that the organization is gonna work with what they have for now and likely won't splash out for any major additions at least for the moment. I think replacements will be made if and when they are needed, but we shouldn't be expecting It's a Bloody Big Deal Version 2.0.

Of course, nothing about any players leaving has been confirmed and we're talking about very finite timespans, so this whole discussion could be moot.

Jack
09-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Giving up might not be the best way to say it. But installing Vanney to me suggests that the organization is gonna work with what they have for now and likely won't splash out for any major additions at least for the moment. I think replacements will be made if and when they are needed, but we shouldn't be expecting It's a Bloody Big Deal Version 2.0.

Of course, nothing about any players leaving has been confirmed and we're talking about very finite timespans, so this whole discussion could be moot.
I think we still have a good enough roster to be in the playoffs and we've won without Defoe. Bez can make deals happen inside the league and we do have some assets. Maybe Vanney can get these guys going a bit better. I don't know enough about him to have an opinion.

Super
09-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Neil Crawford ‏@Neil1892 (https://twitter.com/Neil1892) 11m (https://twitter.com/Neil1892/status/506466436584583168)
SSN reporter "Jermaine Defoe understood to be disillusioned with the [MLS] league" - A big embarassment for #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash) and #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash)

gate7
09-01-2014, 12:25 PM
good ridden……never saw him as anything more than a marketing ploy anyway.

gate7
09-01-2014, 12:27 PM
sure he's a natural goal scorer……but at 1mil per goal no thank you

Cashcleaner
09-01-2014, 12:31 PM
I think we still have a good enough roster to be in the playoffs and we've won without Defoe. Bez can make deals happen inside the league and we do have some assets. Maybe Vanney can get these guys going a bit better. I don't know enough about him to have an opinion.

Oh for sure. Given what we can still put on the pitch despite Defoe or Bradley's possible departure, playoffs is still within reach. Guys like Moore, Oso, Oduro, etc. are more than capable of stepping up if needed. Gilberto already proved to us he can as well. :)

Honestly, I'm not all that worried. We still have 10 games to go.

OgtheDim
09-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Neil Crawford ‏@Neil1892 (https://twitter.com/Neil1892) 11m (https://twitter.com/Neil1892/status/506466436584583168)
SSN reporter "Jermaine Defoe understood to be disillusioned with the [MLS] league" - A big embarassment for #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash) and #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash)

Sky Sports News

About as valid a source as a bookie. (i.e. they say whatever they want to say to get eyeballs))

shwade
09-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Hopefully the bids were rejected by Jermain or had his approval for rejection and he wants to give this another try.

jazzy
09-01-2014, 03:11 PM
he's not been "poor", just not as good as he was. He's had working within a system in which none of the players around him have defined roles and hes being asked to mask all of their deficiencies. couple that not having an actual break since last summer and a mountain of unwarranted hate after the world cup and I don't blame him for his not giving the best performances. We'll see the real Bradley next season.

we'll see the real Bradley next game......or we're really in trouble, but if he is set free and there is any sense to this mish-mash , we'll find out pretty soon if Mr. Bradley comes as advertised .

jloome
09-01-2014, 03:25 PM
we'll see the real Bradley next game......or we're really in trouble, but if he is set free and there is any sense to this mish-mash , we'll find out pretty soon if Mr. Bradley comes as advertised .

I think there's a general difference in approach to football, sometimes, between people who've spent a lot of time in Europe, where managing egos is job one a lot of the time because the technique is ingrained, and North America, where work ethic and tenacity are valued over technique. Here, as much as it may break down sometimes, team tactical interplay has to trump individual efforts because of both the cap parity and the lack of a soccer knowledge base from an early age.

The consequence of this is that when a team has a predominant number of players from both cultures, you have a lot of conflict. I think the Canadian player mentality is closer to the British one, because the CSA has allowed them to act for years like they're doing the country a favor.

At the same time, I think the American mentality has taken too long to change and be tactically and developmentally flexible. So both have their ups and downs. To my way of rationalizing it, however, the former is far more expensive than the latter to maintain. If we'd taken the approach of a Ben Olsen or Jay Heaps, and hired a guy like Vanney in the first place (or Carl Robinson, who is far more like the American player than a Brit in approach and humility) we might not be in this mess. Again.

I have no idea yet whether to be optimistic about Vanney. I am, however, a little more optimistic about his background. Maybe Bez has just decided to copy what a lot of other MLS teams have done, which is hire guys with a lot of MLS experience.

OfficeGuy
09-01-2014, 05:50 PM
MLS is as MLS does .... teams that do well have former players, execs and veteran coaches that have MLS ingrained in them ...Columbus Coach Berhalter is a great example of this ...... Sigi from Seattle too .... look at Carl Robinson and his tenure at VWC ..... It's time for MLSE to scout proper players from outside of Europe and to empower ppl that understand our league

DOMIN8R
09-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Jermain Defoe stays, Toronto FC and MLS dodge bullet (http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2014/09/01/jermain_defoe_stays_toronto_fc_and_mls_dodge_bulle t.html?)England transfer still possible in January, but Defoe exit on heels of Ryan Nelsen firing could have destabilized franchise. (http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2014/09/01/jermain_defoe_stays_toronto_fc_and_mls_dodge_bulle t.html?)

Yohan
09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Well, if Tim B and Greg V manages to get Defoe to perform and make the playoffs, I'll eat crow. But basically Tim B pulled the rug out on Defoe who doesn't care ever since he didn't get picked to go to WC and Tim L leaving MLSE. To have Defoe agree on contract terms with QPR and then cancel at last min. Well, I hope Tim B talked to Defoe and get an agreement with Defoe, but somehow I doubt that's the case.

If Mr Amateur Greg V thinks he can get an unhappy and unmotivated Defoe to work for the team... well, I suspect we'll see more of 'injuries' before the end of the season.

DOMIN8R
09-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Kelly: Jermain Defoe’s inevitable exit caps TFC soap opera (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/kelly-jermain-defoes-inevitable-exit-caps-tfc-soap-opera/article20295271/)

Alonso
09-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Kelly: Jermain Defoe’s inevitable exit caps TFC soap opera (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/kelly-jermain-defoes-inevitable-exit-caps-tfc-soap-opera/article20295271/)

Fuck me.

Why can't we have nice things?!?

OgtheDim
09-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Cathal Kelly has been in full blown panic mode about MLSE ever since TL let it be known that he was leaving, thus scotching both Kelly's credibility and the source of his best scoops in one swift kick to the stones.

He's in more of a crisis spiral then TFC.

As a reminder of how the media prize their sources, in a quick description of TFC managers by Larson sometimethis weekend, he couldn't bring himself, even now, to criticize his source for all the Winter/Mariner years. It was words to the affect of " Paul Mariner - thought by some to have made bad trades".

That and I still remember Cathal Kelly vehmently defending PB after PB sent his "go get those guys in the West" tweet minutes after that debacle in the Voyageurs Cup a few years ago.

I'd ignore everything from Kelly about MLSE until TL goes.

OgtheDim
09-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Another part of all this is if you try to point to rays of sunshine about all of this, in particular that

a) we are still in a playoff position
b) the east teams are all weak
c) we have decent MLS quality players

Somebody on here gets on your case about every single player brought forward.

Every single player on this team has been criticised by somebody on here sometime in the last 7 days (with the possible exceptions of Morrow and Konopka).

Its not possible in a community of football fans for everybody to agree on the positives.

I'm as guilty as anybody else with this - can't stand Bekker.

But gosh we do like to moan.

Brooker
09-01-2014, 11:43 PM
So he signed a 4 year deal and he's barely played a dozen games and already wants to go home?

Bit of a dick. But then again it's the human condition.

Cashcleaner
09-02-2014, 02:51 AM
Another part of all this is if you try to point to rays of sunshine about all of this, in particular that

a) we are still in a playoff position
b) the east teams are all weak
c) we have decent MLS quality players

Somebody on here gets on your case about every single player brought forward.

Every single player on this team has been criticised by somebody on here sometime in the last 7 days (with the possible exceptions of Morrow and Konopka).

Its not possible in a community of football fans for everybody to agree on the positives.

I'm as guilty as anybody else with this - can't stand Bekker.

But gosh we do like to moan.

Honestly, I don't think the boards are ever as bad as people say. But aside from that, you brought up three good points. We're still in this race and we have two or three games in hand compared to the rest of the conference. Things are tightening up, but I don't think we should hit the panic button yet. Perhaps most importantly, we still have one of the strongest rosters. We know Defoe and Bradley are sticking around now, but even if they left, we're got a squad that can pick up the slack. This is a good roster we have - better than the results suggest and THAT'S why Nelsen was sacked in the first place.

Yohan
09-02-2014, 11:28 AM
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Grant-Wahl-with-Jeff-Blair-jb-20140902-Interview.mp3

Grant Wahl on Defoe situation

ANTZ
09-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Looks Like He will be Moved end of the Season.http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4188/transfer-zone/2014/09/02/5078842/redknapp-defoe-will-likely-join-qpr-in-january?ICID=HP_BN_9