PDA

View Full Version : What Has Happened to Michael Bradley?

notthesun
08-31-2014, 12:05 AM
I've been thinking about making this thread for a little while. Today's game against New England has motivated me to go ahead with it. It was probably Bradley's worst performance in a TFC shirt.

Bradley was likely our best player in the early part of the season. Prior to heading off for the World Cup, he was looking like a potential MVP candidate. He was doing it all: covering the entire midfield by himself, intercepting passes, making tackles or forcing turnovers, leading counter attacks and spraying the ball around.

The things Bradley is best at don't show up in highlights, so it's hard to give examples of exactly what I'm talking about. In the opener, Bradley's immediate pressure (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoilD9svNAA&t=1m48s) leads to Defoe's second goal (de Vos is even talking about how much Bradley has been all over Seattle as the sequence begins). Both of his goals for us have come from him actively involving himself in the attack by making dangerous runs, against Columbus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8rXAL3HSS4) and his stunner against Vancouver (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USkhJe5aYUQ&t=4m0s). I don't mean to suggest he should be scoring more, it's not about that. These are instances where you can clearly see his determination and tirelessness at work. What makes Bradley special is that he makes himself involved in everything, and he has enough quality to contribute no matter what he's doing. I think about that, and I look at these and other clips, and I can't even conceive of the player I saw today doing anything of the sort.

On April 2nd, Bradley was with the U.S. National Team as they drew Mexico 2-2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS1R4wxjUok). Bradley scored a goal and got an assist and was the unanimous man of the match. He was so good in that game and in such good form overall, Kurt Larson sparked some discussion by tweeting during the game that Bradley was the best North American born player in world football. And the general response was one of agreement.

Bradley left for the World Cup following our May 14th PK victory over Vancouver in the Voyageurs Cup. He struggled in the World Cup and came under intense criticism.

Since his return from World Cup action, Bradley has been significantly less involved. He's not running all over the pitch anymore. He's not bossing the midfield. He looks, frankly, completely disinterested at times.

His skills haven't vanished. He had two wonderful second assists (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_YCF4y7aI) vs. Montreal a couple weeks back. He pinged a gorgeous long ball to Oduro today that spanned the entire length of the field and dropped right at Oduro's feet as he ran onto it. He shows flashes every game. But due to how lethargic and disinterested he's been, he's also been getting sloppy with the ball, and is nowhere near as much of a disruptive force as he was earlier in the season.

Some comments from the RPB season opener match thread:

"Bradley is a step faster, better, more aggressive than everyone out there."

"I've not seem much of Bradley in the past so wasn't sure what all the hype was about. Now I see what it was about. He's a beast."

"Bradley was different class in his skill and intensity. Best game anyone ever played for this club. I did, I said that."

"Defoe was great and will get the headlines, but Michael Bradley is the story. He is the best player in MLS if he does that a couple more times.

Bradley was simply tremendous. He completely, singlehandedly, broke up Seattle's midfield transition game, which meant that, while they had lots of possession, Seattle didn't have that many truly dangerous chances."

"His range and athleticism compared to the average MLS player is just crazy. He really patrolls the midfield single handedly."
And comments from the thread for the New England game:

"Bradley looks like a guy who is playing like he doesn't give a shit. "

"Bradley is a fucking useless pylon. We are not going to make the playoffs."

"Bradley is more than off. He's not good enough today for this league. Can't tackle worth schunt."

"And Bradley.....I love you but you're tempting me to turn on you. Smarten the fuck up."
You get the idea.

So... what's the problem? Is he exhausted and burnt out, and will come back 100% after the off-season? Did his crappy World Cup mess with his head? Has Nelsen changed tactics such that he's far less effective?

*Note: this is not a Bradley hate thread. It's an honest discussion about the drastic change in his form and what has caused it and how it could be addressed. I love the idea of what Bradley can do for this team if he's playing like his regular self.

Red CB Toronto
08-31-2014, 12:23 AM
And the Reds will very likely loose him for a few games in October when he is bound to be away for International duty.

reggie
08-31-2014, 12:26 AM
maybe we should get his dad to coach the team...hmmm:D

jloome
08-31-2014, 12:39 AM
I've been thinking about making this thread for a little while. Today's game against New England has motivated me to go ahead with it. It was probably Bradley's worst performance in a TFC shirt.

Bradley was likely our best player in the early part of the season. Prior to heading off for the World Cup, he was looking like a potential MVP candidate. He was doing it all: covering the entire midfield by himself, intercepting passes, making tackles or forcing turnovers, leading counter attacks and spraying the ball around.

The things Bradley is best at don't show up in highlights, so it's hard to give examples of exactly what I'm talking about. In the opener, Bradley's immediate pressure (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoilD9svNAA&t=1m48s) leads to Defoe's second goal (de Vos is even talking about how much Bradley has been all over Seattle as the sequence begins). Both of his goals for us have come from him actively involving himself in the attack by making dangerous runs, against Columbus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8rXAL3HSS4) and his stunner against Vancouver (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USkhJe5aYUQ&t=4m0s). I don't mean to suggest he should be scoring more, it's not about that. These are instances where you can clearly see his determination and tirelessness at work. What makes Bradley special is that he makes himself involved in everything, and he has enough quality to contribute no matter what he's doing. I think about that, and I look at these and other clips, and I can't even conceive of the player I saw today doing anything of the sort.

On April 2nd, Bradley was with the U.S. National Team as they drew Mexico 2-2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS1R4wxjUok). Bradley scored a goal and got an assist and was the unanimous man of the match. He was so good in that game and in such good form overall, Kurt Larson sparked some discussion by tweeting during the game that Bradley was the best North American born player in world football. And the general response was one of agreement.

Bradley left for the World Cup following our May 14th PK victory over Vancouver in the Voyageurs Cup. He struggled in the World Cup and came under intense criticism.

Since his return from World Cup action, Bradley has been significantly less involved. He's not running all over the pitch anymore. He's not bossing the midfield. He looks, frankly, completely disinterested at times.

His skills haven't vanished. He had two wonderful second assists (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_YCF4y7aI) vs. Montreal a couple weeks back. He pinged a gorgeous long ball to Oduro today that spanned the entire length of the field and dropped right at Oduro's feet as he ran onto it. He shows flashes every game. But due to how lethargic and disinterested he's been, he's also been getting sloppy with the ball, and is nowhere near as much of a disruptive force as he was earlier in the season.

Some comments from the RPB season opener match thread:

And comments from the thread for the New England game:

You get the idea.

So... what's the problem? Is he exhausted and burnt out, and will come back 100% after the off-season? Did his crappy World Cup mess with his head? Has Nelsen changed tactics such that he's far less effective?

*Note: this is not a Bradley hate thread. It's an honest discussion about the drastic change in his form and what has caused it and how it could be addressed. I love the idea of what Bradley can do for this team if he's playing like his regular self.

Playing as a pivot where he has dual responsibilities kills his frenetic game. We played better, generally, earlier in the year when we had Osorio and Bradley in the middle and we knew who was doing what. Warner isn't good enough to start playing in one direction, let alone two.

jazzy
08-31-2014, 12:55 AM
I can only think he doesn't agree with Nelson's strategy or experience after being groomed by his dad . The man is intelligent and talented . Unfortunately he also is human . And I feel something has really got to him and affected how he produces and prepares for his matches . We're paying for it .

burlington Red
08-31-2014, 01:14 AM
he is getting found out

Ivy
08-31-2014, 02:47 AM
Teams put 2 guys covering him as soon as he has the ball, and Nelsen week in and week out does the same thing where EVERYTHING has to go through Bradley. Opposition simply neutralize Bradley, and let the other guys pass it around aimlessly. Games where teams don't do that, are games that we win.

How to beat TFC: take away Bradley and his passing lanes, put 2 marks on Defoe and Gilberto. Attack TFC through whatever gap exists in defense. Today it was bloom on the left and Orr the hoofer.

Laurignano
08-31-2014, 08:42 AM
I think he is being use ineffectively within our system.

We should shift Osario back into the centre of midfield and maybe even try to give another technical player, like Bekker, a chance to play with a ossario and Bradley combination (this way we can move the ball through 3 of them and force other teams to not be able to double team Bradley and play a more procession game). I notice that the ball is rarely played through Warner.

Something just doesn't seem right about Bradley and this team...the team looked so disjointed and flat last game. I think Bez is right about the team having more than enough time to gel...and for nelson to come out and throw his GM under the bus, saying Bez and the media are putting too much pressure on TFC, clearly does not look good internally for the organization.

Greatest Ripoff
08-31-2014, 09:15 AM
Bradley and Warner just don't work together in the middle if the park. I think Toronto has only had one victory where the two have started together. The team does much better when one of them is paired with Osorio.

MightyDM
08-31-2014, 09:42 AM
we played very well when he was away and something since he has been back post world cup is off. Its sort of like when Sundin got hurt a few years ago - the Leafs actually had a better run without him. Its like the team subconsciously thinks Bradley will do it all. Plus, as others have commented, we can't cope with the high pressing by other teams, and the double teaming of Bradley.

David_Oliveira
08-31-2014, 10:06 AM
One of the bigger issues in my opinion is he has had no off season since last September

molenshtain
08-31-2014, 10:20 AM
One of the bigger issues in my opinion is he has had no off season since last September

I think this is it. He's been playing non-stop since then and he's tired. I really don't think he's not interested. He's never been the type of guy to just give up if things weren't going his way. He just looks incredibily tired. He'll be back to how he was earlier in the season next year.

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 10:42 AM

I think this is it. He's been playing non-stop since then and he's tired. I really don't think he's not interested. He's never been the type of guy to just give up if things weren't going his way. He just looks incredibily tired. He'll be back to how he was earlier in the season next year.

While I agree with these facts we'll be hard pressed to find sympathetic ears if the team doesn't....do what they promised in the standings.:(

Pookie
08-31-2014, 11:40 AM
IMO, it would be a huge mistake to jump all over Bradley. It's game 24 of a 6 year contract. He's young, healthy and has good years in the tank. A very key piece to the organization going forward.

If he (or MLS) is at all considering that playing in the USA would be a better fit, jumping on him now really won't help keep him here.

redisthenewblk
08-31-2014, 11:44 AM
I agree that Bradley's probably tired. He also didn't take the necessary time to get his brain in order after the world cup. He's also taking a lot of flak from all angles. An off season would do a world of good.

Warner was actually playing pretty darn well before Bradley returned from the WC. Maybe we need to rest Bradley for a few weeks and play Warner and Oso in the middle. And when Bradley regains some of his energy and confidence, we can start him with Oso and bring Warner in as a sub. The chemistry just isn't happening between Warner and Bradley. They need some time to sort it out.

Kaz
08-31-2014, 11:49 AM
IMO, it would be a huge mistake to jump all over Bradley. It's game 24 of a 6 year contract. He's young, healthy and has good years in the tank. A very key piece to the organization going forward.

If he (or MLS) is at all considering that playing in the USA would be a better fit, jumping on him now really won't help keep him here.

Years in the tank if he has no interest in playing here is meaningless.

I don't want him here is this is what we are getting... you don't want Defoe here because of his price tag and his is potential output. If Bradley who is on just as an expensive contract is performing weakly as he has been he is of no more value. Bradley in March is different from Bradley in August... two of the three goals don't happen with March Bradley on the pitch...

March Bradley worth every penny.

August Bradley can be replaces with other players work less then 375k.

TFC07
08-31-2014, 12:12 PM
And the Reds will very likely loose him for a few games in October when he is bound to be away for International duty.

If that's case, then Nelsen better not bitch about CSA calling up Osorio and others like he has recently.

Pookie
08-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Years in the tank if he has no interest in playing here is meaningless.

I don't want him here is this is what we are getting... you don't want Defoe here because of his price tag and his is potential output. If Bradley who is on just as an expensive contract is performing weakly as he has been he is of no more value. Bradley in March is different from Bradley in August... two of the three goals don't happen with March Bradley on the pitch...

That's not what I said about Defoe.

I think it is a bad contract because MLS does not let you replace an injured player… let alone a DP. His injury history before he got here and the experience this season indicates he is a huge risk. His age means that his skills will decline and decreases the chances he won't recover.

Not having 3 DPs puts any team… particularly THIS team… at a huge disadvantage. That's why I don't like the Defoe contract. If the league introduced something like the NHL has… Long Term Injury Relief… then it's a different equation.

Michael Bradley does not have the same circumstances. He's healthy. Young. And can grow with the team. His best years… hopefully… are not behind him.

pdubs
08-31-2014, 01:41 PM

I think it is a bad contract because MLS does not let you replace an injured player… let alone a DP. His injury history before he got here and the experience this season indicates he is a huge risk. His age means that his skills will decline and decreases the chances he won't recover.

Not having 3 DPs puts any team… particularly THIS team… at a huge disadvantage. That's why I don't like the Defoe contract. If the league introduced something like the NHL has… Long Term Injury Relief… then it's a different equation.

Michael Bradley does not have the same circumstances. He's healthy. Young. And can grow with the team. His best years… hopefully… are not behind him.

agree completely. Two different situations.

With regards to Bradley as Pookie said it is only 2/3 of the way through his first season here. Few weeks ago I heard a stat the Bradley had traveled the most distance game per game then any other player in MLS. Overall I have liked what Bradley has brought. Lately seems tired and in a slump. He is 26/27 and as USMNT fans and pundits will tell you, he is their best player and in his prime.

The firing of Nelson and the coaching staff may have had an impact on his play. Maybe something was going on behind the scenes and was brewing and festering. Even tactically and strategical everything would have to be evaluated and put into a better context.

All I know is that if I could pick a player (particularly a domestic player) who would realistically come to MLS in their prime, Michael Bradley would be at the top of that list.

Kaz
08-31-2014, 01:50 PM

Being as he is playing like a mid-level MLS Midfielder, it seems they are... Or he just hates here and needs to move. Bradley vs Laba... Laba should have stayed and MLS should have said thanks but no thanks. He isn't worth the salary.... if he was having these issues in Italy there is a clear reason why he wasn't playing.

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 02:31 PM
With Nelsen out Bradley will shine

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 02:33 PM
With Nelsen out Bradley will shine

How was Nelsen holding Bradley back?

69Chevy396
08-31-2014, 02:45 PM
How was Nelsen holding Bradley back?
Bradley played with Roma, a possession team which utilized his terrific distribution skills. Similar, but much better, than DeGuzman when he too entered the fray here, and failed, because of the penchant we have for playing hoof ball. Nelsen, a defender, saw the game as one where the opposition was always better with the ball, so let them have it.

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 02:55 PM
Bradley played with Roma, a possession team which utilized his terrific distribution skills. Similar, but much better, than DeGuzman when he too entered the fray here, and failed, because of the penchant we have for playing hoof ball. Nelsen, a defender, saw the game as one where the opposition was always better with the ball, so let them have it.

How does that explain the overuse of Bradley from the back that's been pointed out just earlier today?

Bradley has been seen to get far more opportunity with the ball than distribution elsewhere. Teams know this.

It's always been the first choice and really should be. So how does more opportunity with the ball for him help us? If its this incredibly simple I'd question why Bradley couldn't do it under Nelsen.

Milanista
08-31-2014, 03:54 PM
Bradley has been horrible since a few games b4 he left to the world cup…could be tired or could hate the coach? who knows

speckles
08-31-2014, 05:27 PM
Bradley has been horrible since a few games b4 he left to the world cup…could be tired or could hate the coach? who knows

Or he is lacking in professionalism or just not that consistent which equal in my mind... not the quality we thought

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 05:31 PM
Or he is lacking in professionalism or just not that consistent which equal in my mind... not the quality we thought

How is that equal?

We've talked just this week about lack of professionalism -Defoe pointing at his feet and Bradley confronting refereeing in the league and inconsistency goes well beyond Bradley and Defoe on this team.

It may be just as bad in your opinion but equal, that is, the same, they are not.

speckles
08-31-2014, 05:36 PM
possibly not clear, if you lack consistency then you are not quality IMHO in Bradlys case, lack of simple skill and consistency is certainly the case for this entire team.

burlington Red
08-31-2014, 09:15 PM
I can only think he doesn't agree with Nelson's strategy or experience after being groomed by his dad . The man is intelligent and talented . Unfortunately he also is human . And I feel something has really got to him and affected how he produces and prepares for his matches . We're paying for it .

he mustn't agree with Klinsmann either as he was poor in world cup

burlington Red
08-31-2014, 09:16 PM
is Bradley better than Laba?

molenshtain
08-31-2014, 09:18 PM
is Bradley better than Laba?

really?

burlington Red
08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
really?

this season.

molenshtain
08-31-2014, 09:26 PM
this season.

after the world cup, Laba's probably been better. Bradley has a much wider range of abilities though, and probably does what Laba does best better than Laba when he's in top form.

burlington Red
08-31-2014, 09:27 PM
really?

first 2 games, he looked like Roy Keane, since then he has been average. For the money he is on and the job he is doing, Laba to me offers better value. Last night was one of the worst performaces of his whole career, didn't look interested. Laba wouldn't have done that

burlington Red
08-31-2014, 09:28 PM
after the world cup, Laba's probably been better. Bradley has a much wider range of abilities though, and probably does what Laba does best better than Laba when he's in top form.

wouldn't argue that, but talking in terms of value, Laba get my nod

molenshtain
08-31-2014, 09:30 PM
wouldn't argue that, but talking in terms of value, Laba get my nod

they're both Dp's. Value doesn't matter much after that point.

burlington Red
08-31-2014, 09:37 PM
they're both Dp's. Value doesn't matter much after that point.

I'd rather my clubs money go to a grafter who puts in a shift for big money than to a so called grafter who doesn't put in a shift on bigger money. Ultimately we pay for it in the end, Bradley hasn't put in a proper shift in recent weeks.

speckles
08-31-2014, 09:47 PM
I'd rather my clubs money go to a grafter who puts in a shift for big money than to a so called grafter who doesn't put in a shift on bigger money. Ultimately we pay for it in the end, Bradley hasn't put in a proper shift in recent weeks.

exactly, where is his values and professionalism..

notthesun
08-31-2014, 10:07 PM
Now I'm really curious to see how he plays Wednesday. A change in tactics along with a change in mindset with Nelsen gone... I'd love to see him return to form.

OgtheDim
08-31-2014, 10:13 PM
I am betting on this team being built around Bradley. Which means getting rid of speedy wingers who won't play defence or find gaps, getting a very good DM, and possibly getting a target man to allow Gilberto to drop back and be a #10.

For this season, it will mean Osorio back in the middle instead of Warner and Lovitz out on the left.

burlington Red
08-31-2014, 10:25 PM
I am betting on this team being built around Bradley. Which means getting rid of speedy wingers who won't play defence or find gaps, getting a very good DM, and possibly getting a target man to allow Gilberto to drop back and be a #10.

For this season, it will mean Osorio back in the middle instead of Warner and Lovitz out on the left.

isn't Bradley the DM ,shouldn't he be playing alongside a creative mid.

OgtheDim
08-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Bradley is not a DM. Watching him attempt to tackle has been painful this season.

He didn't play as a DM in Roma. Klinnsman tried to play him as a Deep Lying Playmaker, as did RN. That's failed, in my estimation.

Bradley is the creative midfielder.

Bradley is a box to their endline player. Needs to be released from defensive duties and having to start the play from the back.

molenshtain
08-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Bradley is not a DM. Watching him attempt to tackle has been painful this season.

He didn't play as a DM in Roma. Klinnsman tried to play him as a Deep Lying Playmaker, as did RN. That's failed, in my estimation.

Bradley is a box to their endline player. Needs to be released from defensive duties and having to start the play from the back.

which is why he'd be best in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with guys who are specialists in those areas around him and more options to pass in midfield.

ag futbol
08-31-2014, 10:35 PM
which is why he'd be best in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with guys who are specialists in those areas around him and more options to pass in midfield.
Agreed. I also think that Gilberto can play as a lone frontman if supported by the right players.

Maybe for the first time since Amado Guevara we can have that attacking midfielder we all wanted. Let Bradley be the late box-to-box runner who also supports the play. Could work brilliantly.

jloome
08-31-2014, 11:21 PM

No he isn't. He only played offensively at Herenven; he was a defensive midfielder in Germany and Italy, most of the time. And if you look at where his play dropped off this year, it was after the world cup, when he was asked to play going forward, and at TFC when he and Warner were trading off pivot responsibilities.

THe only time he's been a dominant player has been as anchor man, breaking up passing lanes and launching counters, occasionally trailing to clean up garbage at the top of the box. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player; but if we play him box-to-box or as the offensive lynchpin, we'll be misusing him.

jloome
08-31-2014, 11:23 PM
he mustn't agree with Klinsmann either as he was poor in world cup

It's not an issue of agreeing; the U.S. played him as a primarily offensive player at the world cup; it's not his strength.

molenshtain
08-31-2014, 11:24 PM
No he isn't. He only played offensively at Herenven; he was a defensive midfielder in Germany and Italy, most of the time. And if you look at where his play dropped off this year, it was after the world cup, when he was asked to play going forward, and at TFC when he and Warner were trading off pivot responsibilities.

THe only time he's been a dominant player has been as anchor man, breaking up passing lanes and launching counters, occasionally trailing to clean up garbage at the top of the box. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player; but if we play him box-to-box or as the offensive lynchpin, we'll be misusing him.

na. Box-to-box is perfect for him if he has a a player always watching hi back defensivily and a guy in front of him mainly in charge of creating chances like a Morales or Valeri type. He's technically too good to just use him as an anchor man in this league. He scored 15 goals in a season for herenveen.

ensco
12-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Klinsmann is going to wreck his career with this crap.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/12/10/jurgen-klinsmann-sticking-stance-michael-bradleys-position-usmnt

notthesun
12-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Between Bradley having surgery on his foot, Vanney believing he's more of an anchor, and rumors of us going after a defensive mid to share the load for ball winning, I'm very curious to see how Bradley looks come next season.

Richard
12-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Klinsmann will get sacked if keeps this up. He is on a short leash already with all of his ill advised remarks about MLS.

OgtheDim
12-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Meh....JK's grasp of tactics was never all that good. He can blather on about Bradley all he wants and try him where ever. As long as Bradley's brain works here in TO, we'll be fine.

And I think he'll be fine.

Fort York Redcoat
12-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Between Bradley having surgery on his foot, Vanney believing he's more of an anchor, and rumors of us going after a defensive mid to share the load for ball winning, I'm very curious to see how Bradley looks come next season.

He looked fine on Sunday...g:D