PDA

View Full Version : Defoe now out until end of September

djcuse
08-29-2014, 11:49 AM
With nagging groin issue! What is happening with this team... Are we seriously just gonna limp our way over the finish line come October??:facepalm:

brad
08-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Always a risk when you sign a player with an injury history like Defoe. Unfortunate but to be expected

Let's hope Gilberto keeps scoring

Pint
08-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Gilberto, Moore, dike, DeRo is still a decent striker crop. Let Defoe rest and come back ready for the playoffs full strength

ManUtd4ever
08-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Unfortunate, but not surprising given his recent history prior to his acquisition.

Hopefully, a full off season will benefit him moving forward.

ryan
08-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Oh, good.

Got half a season from him. That's pretty expensive.

dantdot
08-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Why a loan to anyone in the off season should be out of the question.

Ultra & Proud
08-29-2014, 03:02 PM
He shouldn't have come back so fast anyway much like Caldwell.

Ivy
08-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Am I the only one that saw this coming? He said him self in the interview prior to the Chicago game that he isn't 100% and it's still bothering him. Why Nelsen brought him in is the real question.

burlington Red
08-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Defoe stepped up to the plate when Gilberto couldn't score, now Gilberto is stepping up to plate now in Defoe's absence. In an ideal world both would be firing at the same time. Bradley of late hasn't been dominating games the way his early performances suggested he would have.Not going to get one complete stellar season from any of them, but if they are going to stick around, at least they will have more familarity with each others games for play offs and next season.

Pookie
08-29-2014, 03:29 PM
#unfortunatebutnotshocking

It's a bad, bad contract in this league.

Shakes McQueen
08-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I'd say unfortunate but not shocking is about right.

ryan
08-29-2014, 03:45 PM
#unfortunatebutnotshocking

It's a bad, bad contract in this league.

Not so much, players can be paid 500K or 500M, it's still 1 DP slot and 360K or whatever against the cap. Makes little or no difference to us, MLSE is going to gouge us next year with or without Defoe around.

If he returns to play in October and plays a role in say....leading us to a trophy? It's still a steal despite half a season played.

Pookie
08-29-2014, 04:01 PM
^ I don't worry about the "cap" since there is all the allocation stuff to move around.

The issue is the opportunity cost.

We have strikers and there are a couple of decent strikers available in next year's draft. What we don't have is a stud CB or someone other than Bradley to service the strikers in the mid-field (think Bradley-Laba-Gilberto). We can't get one of those as long as Defoe is still on the payroll.

Defoe's injury situation isn't likely to improve when he older.

This is a boat anchor of a contract.

brad
08-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Remember Koeversmans. We know what it is like to have a DP striker miss long periods of time.

I hope things don't go that way with Defoe - but it is a risk.

ag futbol
08-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Not so much, players can be paid 500K or 500M, it's still 1 DP slot and 360K or whatever against the cap. Makes little or no difference to us, MLSE is going to gouge us next year with or without Defoe around.

If he returns to play in October and plays a role in say....leading us to a trophy? It's still a steal despite half a season played.
Looking at it from a cap perspective falls way short. Our money supply isn't unlimited and neither are the number of DP slots we have. We get stuck behind that contract and it will hurt the club, no two ways about it. That being said it isn't a "bad contract" at this point, but given what we've seen so far it is getting more risky.

I don't think we will be contending this year, not from what we've seen so far. We make some upgrades in the offseason and Bradley/Defoe stay healthy we break through. Right now the TFC glass ceiling is one level below the top 4-5 clubs in the league... Which, outside of the Seattle game, we haven't done much to prove we belong in that category.

Red CB Toronto
08-29-2014, 05:12 PM
It is only going to get tougher in October when the General is away for a stretch of games on International Duty, so Yeh this roster is going to be challenged.

adam1001
08-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Man that contract is looking scary now.

ryan
08-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Looking at it from a cap perspective falls way short. Our money supply isn't unlimited and neither are the number of DP slots we have. We get stuck behind that contract and it will hurt the club, no two ways about it. That being said it isn't a "bad contract" at this point, but given what we've seen so far it is getting more risky.

I don't think we will be contending this year, not from what we've seen so far. We make some upgrades in the offseason and Bradley/Defoe stay healthy we break through. Right now the TFC glass ceiling is one level below the top 4-5 clubs in the league... Which, outside of the Seattle game, we haven't done much to prove we belong in that category.

In a two leg scenario we can beat anyone. We've played everyone, save for DCU, really well this year. I wouldn't write off this season so easily, but I'm also not saying we're favoured or likely to do so. Just believe there's a moderate chance we could pull it off. IF we're healthy, we can win the East with some good performances. Very possible.

As for unlimited money? I would disagree. This team is turning a profit this year I would bet, despite the money spent.

As for the DP slot? Despite getting a bit more than half the season (predicting Defoe plays in the final 3-4 matches in October, perhaps bags 1-2 more goals), Defoe will still be amongst the top DP forwards in goals scored. We're still getting good value out of this DP slot in comparison to the other DP attackers. Had he played the whole season and bagged 20? That'd be fantastic, but lets not understate the 11 goals he's given us. How many times has TFC had a forward score 11 goals? Once? Twice?

Yes I agree this is risky. But lets not say what we've gotten is truly that bad. Compared to an EJ in DCU? (4G 2A) Or Torres in COL? (2G 1A) Bieler in SKC? (1G) All trophy contenders with DP's that may not produce, combined, what Defoe did in half a season. Relatively speaking, we've gotten better value out of our DP slot than those 3 contenders have, despite half a season.

It could be better, but it's not all that bad.

ag futbol
08-29-2014, 07:42 PM
In a two leg scenario we can beat anyone. We've played everyone, save for DCU, really well this year.
Well we played SKC up a man for 20 minutes, still lost. Blown out away once and tied another. 3-0 @ RSL. Otherwise I'd define top of the league as the above plus DCU, LAG, SEA, maybe FCD but not really.

I think we're having a decent season, but let's be realistic here.

gate7
08-29-2014, 09:51 PM
lets sign Earnshaw....oh wait......

ensco
08-29-2014, 09:58 PM
This is a boat anchor of a contract.

"It's a bloody big deal" may turn out to be one of the all time marketing slogans for a player signing.

Defoe may also be acting doubly careful if he thinks he's in motion after the season. Which several on here have speculated about.

burlington Red
08-29-2014, 10:46 PM

football fans have short memories, he scores a couple in play offs and he's a hero again. Gilberto a few weeks ago had gone 10+ games without a goal and was a dud, now he's the best thing since sliced bread

Cashcleaner
08-30-2014, 02:19 AM
Contract aside, this is an interesting situation for the Defoe back to Europe speculation crowd.

How does this play out?

Does Defoe shut it down for the rest of the year and then head off on loan?

Does a healthy Defoe choose to come back and risk re-injuring himself and missing out on the loan?

Does Defoe miss the season and say screw the loan, I am going to rehab and come back to MLS stronger than ever?

Which is more likely? The answer will be an interesting insight into where his head is.

You forget your keys or something?

Pookie
08-30-2014, 06:21 AM
Probably a bigger injury in terms of impact to the team is Caldwell.

Defoe has replacements.

We aren't there with our backline.

Both are in their 30s and even with rest are high risk players.

If you subscribe to the bad contract notion, as I believe you all know I do and did the moment he was brought here with his existing injuries, then this is a very key moment in the franchise.

So again, if you are in that camp, one has to hope that Defoe's injury (and possible surgery) will still enable him to catch on with a side in Europe before that window closes. If we are able to unload the contract we can replace Caldwell or add to the mid-field with a quality young DP.

Why not a big name guy seeking to extend a career? Because TL is also gone.

If we can't, Caldwell can only be replaced with a MLS quality player and Defoe may spend the bulk of his remaining 3 years in the press box.

On the flip side, moving the bloody big deal might hurt the team at the box office as casual fans snapped up tickets to see the Defoe-show.

Though TFC still claims sell outs (not sure how they could announce that with a straight face in the Chicago game), they have to be mindful about the casual fan. Expansion plans, if they move ahead, will be taxed if Defoe moves on.

I know that the pitchforks may come out for suggesting that Defoe be moved.

Emotion aside, that's what the odds are saying is best based on his age and type of injuries he has sustained. Once that area is weakened, it is extremely hard to rebuild it. That's just the way it is.

It is a key moment that will likely define TFCs future.

Fort York Redcoat
08-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Once that area is weakened, it is extremely hard to rebuild it. That's just the way it is.

It is a key moment that will likely define TFCs future.

That area of the pitch? What area?

Pookie
08-30-2014, 11:32 AM
That area of the pitch? What area?

The courage of Bez to move a bad contract for the betterment of the team while risking fan and season ticket holder backlash… particularly if they slip from the playoffs and then move Defoe out.

It's the right move. But can he make it?

ryan
08-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Well we played SKC up a man for 20 minutes, still lost. Blown out away once and tied another. 3-0 @ RSL. Otherwise I'd define top of the league as the above plus DCU, LAG, SEA, maybe FCD but not really.

I think we're having a decent season, but let's be realistic here.

All I'm saying is that it wouldn't be a stretch for us to beat SKC in a 2 leg series. Yes there is a gap, I don't deny that, but I wouldn't say it's all that wide of a gap.

We're not a front runner, but we're still a good enough team (which I can understand is hard thing for TFC fans to swallow...."what do you mean, we're, 'good'?")

Oldtimer
08-30-2014, 12:55 PM
It's Obama's fault. :-)

pdubs
08-30-2014, 06:36 PM
We knew the risks going into this contract. What should happen is have Defoe fully rest the offseason. No loans no nothing. Forward depth isn't the prime concern as has been pointed out especially with the form Gilberto and Moore are in. Dero gives us more experience and Dike gives us another dimension. Backline is in shambles and we need a stud CB who can player every game. Caldwell is serviceable but maybe this injury situation is the tipping point for him.

ryan
08-30-2014, 08:48 PM
All I'm saying is that it wouldn't be a stretch for us to beat SKC in a 2 leg series. Yes there is a gap, I don't deny that, but I wouldn't say it's all that wide of a gap.

We're not a front runner, but we're still a good enough team (which I can understand is hard thing for TFC fans to swallow...."what do you mean, we're, 'good'?")

http://pulpavenue.com/forum/images/smilies/jonesy.gif

sometimes it's fun to laugh at yourself

bones
09-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Think he'll be back sooner than we think.....for QPR that is ;)