08-25-2014, 04:13 PM
TV: Sportsnet One

Toronto last 5: LWWLD
New England last 5: LWLDW
Last game vs NE: 3 May - Toronto 1, New England 2

Free entry into CNE with a game ticket. Also, air show at 1pm IIRC

Yohan
08-25-2014, 04:15 PM
So the big news in New England is that Kraft opened his purse and signed Jermaine Jones for big bucks. Dunno if Jones will be available for Sat game, along with their other new signing Geoffrey Castrillon. (former Ajax academy striker)

redisthenewblk
08-25-2014, 04:49 PM
It would be nice if we could get the TSN "A team" for a change. During the Chicago game on of the commentators (I think it was Dan Dunleavy?) actually referred to a player "putting their stick in".

Cashcleaner
08-26-2014, 02:07 AM
There's talk that Jones will likely be playing this Saturday as well. Don't know how true it is, but something Nelsen is going to have to consider.

New England is coming into this match hungry for 3 points. They are just barely out of playoffs contention right now and a win against TFC could catapult them ahead of New York who are playing a tough match against DC at home over the weekend. I think we're gonna have our work cut out for us. The teams just gotta put the draw against Chicago behind them and concentrate on New England; a team with one of the most diverse goal-scoring records in the league right now.

OgtheDim
08-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Jones into that midfield might be disruptive.

Fort York Redcoat
08-26-2014, 07:21 AM
It would be nice if we could get the TSN "A team" for a change. During the Chicago game on of the commentators (I think it was Dan Dunleavy?) actually referred to a player "putting their stick in".

http://tat2guru.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/dog-meme-srsly-e1356148080271.jpg

QBall
08-26-2014, 07:34 AM
So the big news in New England is that Kraft opened his purse and signed Jermaine Jones for big bucks. Dunno if Jones will be available for Sat game, along with their other new signing Geoffrey Castrillon. (former Ajax academy striker)

Not sure if this is true but it seems the reason why the Revs got Jermaine Jones is because they won a random draw MLS held between themselves and Chicago:

http://deadspin.com/mls-used-a-blind-draw-to-decide-where-jermaine-jones-wi-1626425630

Voodooman
08-26-2014, 08:10 AM

Really?....oh dear.

Derko
08-26-2014, 09:59 AM

You really mean the TFC "A team", right.

Commentators go through one ear and out the other, most times the sound is down so I don't hear much.:scarf:

ryan
08-26-2014, 10:12 AM
I want TV's to evolve so we have video game style audio options.

Crowd - 100%
Game Sounds - 100%
Commentary - 0%

Richard
08-26-2014, 10:32 AM
I want TV's to evolve so we have video game style audio options.

Crowd - 100%
Game Sounds - 100%
Commentary - 0%

Yes, Yes, Yes. So much Yes.

I wish every live sports broadcast had the option of only the direct feed from the playing surface and the fans. With todays live streaming posibilites it should be easier than ever to implement, make it unrated or whatever but this needs to happen.

Yohan
08-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Yes, Yes, Yes. So much Yes.

I wish every live sports broadcast had the option of only the direct feed from the playing surface and the fans. With todays live streaming posibilites it should be easier than ever to implement, make it unrated or whatever but this needs to happen.
sponsorship money says this won't happen.

Walms
08-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Are we going to see Jones with the Rev's or is that still unclear?

Areathrasher
08-26-2014, 11:42 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 1 min (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/JohnMolinaro/status/504304992891985920) #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) coach Nelsen says Caldwell and morrow both out a few weeks.

Fuck

Joe Kool
08-26-2014, 12:04 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro1 min (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/JohnMolinaro/status/504304992891985920)#TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) coach Nelsen says Caldwell and morrow both out a few weeks.

Fuck

Not good. No Jackson at RB please....or LB...or anywhere in the defensive line.

Fort York Redcoat
08-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Not good. No Jackson at RB please....or LB...or anywhere in the defensive line.

If he gives Jackson yet another chance we can safely pundit that Orr isn't ready. Pretty sure Nelsen sees where the goals are coming from.

Joe Kool
08-26-2014, 12:18 PM
If he gives Jackson yet another chance we can safely pundit that Orr isn't ready. Pretty sure Nelsen sees where the goals are coming from.

This is definitely showcasing a glaring hole in our depth in positions and will need to be addressed but I think they will probably try to use what we have and hope for the best with Caldwell and Morrow returning sometime before the end of the season. I don't see anyone coming in unless we lose more players for longer on the back line. Hopefully Henry can stay away from a red card for more than a few games. NE probably just salivating at the chance to make life difficult on our back line.

OgtheDim
08-26-2014, 12:26 PM
I've noticed a couple of times we have had injuries in the CD, that Warner goes back and plays CD until the replacement comes on.

I would not be averse to that move if it moves Jackson out to the wing.

Put Osorio and Bradley in the middle.

No Bekker....just no.

Cashcleaner
08-26-2014, 12:57 PM
Not sure if this is true but it seems the reason why the Revs got Jermaine Jones is because they won a random draw MLS held between themselves and Chicago:

http://deadspin.com/mls-used-a-blind-draw-to-decide-where-jermaine-jones-wi-1626425630

It's been reported in both the Sun and Star and a couple US papers, so I'd say it's likely true. It sounds weird, but apparently there isn't much of a movement by the league's franchise owners to change it. And the players don't seem to care all that much either.

OgtheDim
08-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Lottery draw like the NBA.

Ultra & Proud
08-26-2014, 02:52 PM
sponsorship money says this won't happen.
For sure not but broadcast quality was one of the things I've been complaining about regarding MLS becoming more of a 'real' league. It never will with the likes of Dunleavy and his partner (whom I actively choose not to remember his name) and they aren't even as bad as some American ones. This is something that the MLS and all it's franchises should be working on. Get real announcers with Football experience (calling matches or playing) and get cameras that were manufactured within the past decade (hello Chicago) or so. So there are some type of standards for overall broadcast quality. Otherwise it's usually mute and tunes for me.

Yohan
08-26-2014, 02:56 PM
For sure not but broadcast quality was one of the things I've been complaining about regarding MLS becoming more of a 'real' league. It never will with the likes of Dunleavy and his partner (whom I actively choose not to remember his name) and they aren't even as bad as some American ones. This is something that the MLS and all it's franchises should be working on. Get real announcers with Football experience (calling matches or playing) and get cameras that were manufactured within the past decade (hello Chicago) or so. So there are some type of standards for overall broadcast quality. Otherwise it's usually mute and tunes for me.
MLS doesn't dictate who the commentators are. That's tv network's problem

QBall
08-26-2014, 03:54 PM
It's been reported in both the Sun and Star and a couple US papers, so I'd say it's likely true. It sounds weird, but apparently there isn't much of a movement by the league's franchise owners to change it. And the players don't seem to care all that much either.

Is it me or does it make MLS seem a bit bush league when they do stuff like that? I wonder if the players really do mind being given out like a raffle prize, especially when they go to a team they might not have wanted to go to in the first place.

Yohan
08-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Is it me or does it make MLS seem a bit bush league when they do stuff like that? I wonder if the players really do mind being given out like a raffle prize, especially when they go to a team they might not have wanted to go to in the first place.
not that I like MLS rules, but Jones is being well paid to play in NE. if he really didn't like NE, he could have not signed with MLS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/08/25/jermaine-jones-joins-new-england-revolution-heres-how/

Yohan
08-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Are we going to see Jones with the Rev's or is that still unclear?
hinted at coming off the bench at presser today. he's not match fit

QBall
08-26-2014, 04:42 PM
not that I like MLS rules, but Jones is being well paid to play in NE. if he really didn't like NE, he could have not signed with MLS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/08/25/jermaine-jones-joins-new-england-revolution-heres-how/

So, does this mean that Jermain Defoe could have been sent to another team if someone else expressed interest in him when TFC was courting him and had the cash to pay his salary?

Yohan
08-26-2014, 04:49 PM
So, does this mean that Jermain Defoe could have been sent to another team if someone else expressed interest in him when TFC was courting him and had the cash to pay his salary?

No.. this thing seems to apply to returning us mnt players that meets certain 'threshold'

Pint
08-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Quick question: They mentioned something about the GO Train being free for this game with ticket at the end of last game but i'm hazy as to the details of the offer. Anyone catch what it was?

BritSOL
08-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Quick question: They mentioned something about the GO Train being free for this game with ticket at the end of last game but i'm hazy as to the details of the offer. Anyone catch what it was?

http://gotransit.com/tfc/

Less traffic. More footy. Metrolinx and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. want to help make travelling easier. On August 30, 2014, you can not only avoid traffic and parking by taking the GO to the Toronto FC soccer match, but the ride home will be FREE*. Your August 30, 2014 TFC match ticket (or e-ticket) will be accepted by GO as your paid fare, simply present it as proof of payment if requested during your ride.
*Valid only on August 30, 2014 with possession of a valid Toronto FC August 30 2014 game ticket, which will act as paid GO fare. Valid on all routes from 5 p.m. until service ends that evening. Not redeemable for cash. Admission for GO Transit rides using your August 30, 2014 Toronto FC ticket are subject at all times to GO Transit’s Terms of Use (http://gotransit.com/public/en/aboutus/terms.aspx). "Toronto FC" and associated word marks and logos are trademarks, designs and other forms of intellectual property of Major League Soccer, L.L.C., used by permission © 2014 MLS.

redisthenewblk
08-26-2014, 05:48 PM
You really mean the TFC "A team", right.

That too. Unfortunately, the TFC A team for Saturday is just a pipe dream at this point.

Red CB Toronto
08-26-2014, 06:59 PM
TFC will have a challenge on their hands with Jermaine Jones. Based on his comments today in the introduction press conference he raring and ready to go this weekend in Toronto.

Cashcleaner
08-26-2014, 11:00 PM

You're not the only fan who agrees it's kinda lame. Here's Kurt Larsen's blurb about it:

The Chicago Fire wanted Jones. The Revs got him thanks to a blind draw.
Sometimes Major League Soccer’s rules are hard to explain.
But, here it goes:
According to Lalas, two teams wanted Jones — Chicago and New England.
But because there is no free agency in MLS, the league more or less raffled Jones off by picking a team name from an envelope — Chicago or New England.
That sparked a bit of rage among MLS fans who want to see the league move towards more of a European model that sees players have more control over where they end up.
The players, however, never seem to mind.
Neither do the league’s owners, who would have the rule changed if they thought it detrimental.
For fans, though, it’s about purifying the game. They see certain league mechanisms as holding back teams — Chicago, for instance — that are looking to improve.
Others understand the league’s role in ensuring parity — something that’s paramount in North America.

Pookie
08-27-2014, 07:36 AM
You're not the only fan who agrees it's kinda lame. Here's Kurt Larsen's blurb about it:

The thing about this though is that it ignores the fundamental principle of the league's structure. Single entity ownership.

The leagues owners "don't care" because technically they aren't owners. Each is a board member. The structure is set up so it is in the vested interest of the league to have these things in place like salary controls and limited player movement (at least on their terms). This structure makes them money and increases the value of their share in the league.

Unions care. But to care to the point of forcing antitrust suits would likely mean decertification of the union. Instead, they use antitrust exemption to negotiate a CBA to their advantage. One that thus far has brought higher wages to the bulk of the players, more guaranteed contracts and at one point I wager it will take the form of free agency.

It's a longer process but one that will get them to the destination without imploding their existence

QBall
08-27-2014, 10:07 AM
No.. this thing seems to apply to returning us mnt players that meets certain 'threshold'

:facepalm: You know, I'm just going to treat the whole Jermaine Jones scenario like a magic show: Enjoy the spectacle but don't put too much thought into how the trick actually works because it's too much work for too little reward.

Yohan
08-27-2014, 02:07 PM
And Silviu Petrescu is the ref... oh boy. at least it's not a new guy

Canary10
08-27-2014, 02:17 PM
:facepalm: You know, I'm just going to treat the whole Jermaine Jones scenario like a magic show: Enjoy the spectacle but don't put too much thought into how the trick actually works because it's too much work for too little reward.

They should add "Blind Draw Ballots" to the list of trade-able commodities in MLS, like Allocation. Improves your odds of winning blind draws.

OgtheDim
08-27-2014, 05:12 PM
And this week we get everybody's favourite 4th official, Petrescu. That should mean a welcome "Meh" about the officiating this game.

Pint
08-27-2014, 05:29 PM
And Silviu Petrescu is the ref... oh boy. at least it's not a new guy

Idk i think i would prefer a new guy: unknown likely terrible>>>> known really really terrible

Ultra & Proud
08-27-2014, 10:48 PM
And this week we get everybody's favourite 4th official, Petrescu. That should mean a welcome "Meh" about the officiating this game.
Well he is better than Toledo. Sometimes he totally screws up calls in our favor too but that's a coin flip. I bet he is worse than 'meh' but not quite tar & feathers worthy.

Voodooman
08-28-2014, 07:32 AM
Sucks because he is Canadian too isnt he?

Fort York Redcoat
08-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Sucks because he is Canadian too isnt he?

Born Romania but now Canadian from Waterloo.

Yohan
08-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Petrescu is one of more level headed refs. Ya he blows calls, but he doesnt like to dish red cards unlike many of the hot head refs

Derko
08-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Petrescu is one of more level headed refs. Ya he blows calls, but he doesnt like to dish red cards unlike many of the hot head refs

I don't mind Petrescu, I won't be at this match, so therefore it should be a win,lol

pdubs
08-28-2014, 03:14 PM
I Bradley drills him over again lol

Having said that ill take him or anyone over Toledo

Oldtimer
08-28-2014, 03:57 PM

He's no Toledo, that's for sure. Not great, but as fourth official he can't do too much damage.

anto7
08-28-2014, 04:55 PM
@KurtLarSUN: Bloom, I'm told, departed to be with his wife, who gave birth today. It's possible he returns in time for New England.

anto7
08-28-2014, 04:59 PM
@KurtLarSUN: Bloom, I'm told, departed to be with his wife, who gave birth today. It's possible he returns in time for New England.
I think he should stay with his wife and new baby personally, however this would be another big loss from the back line

Hamilton_Red
08-29-2014, 12:32 AM
This foolishness is only going to end when the players grow some balls and strike the league. They are treated like chattle in the MLS. Set a salary cap at 50% of team revenues and let the best organization win. Way too many rules in MlS.

Burning Red
08-29-2014, 02:12 AM
I know many people on here argue that "most MLS teams" play with one defensive midfielder to cover the back line and then hit on the break. However, these last few games have really reinforced one thing for me: the "pulley system" just does not work well enough to warrant its continuation in the next few games. It does not seem to work well for TFC. I like Warner, he is a great addition to the team, but playing him as cover so as to allow Bradley to act as an attacking mid is just not working. Bradley is not in the attack nearly as often as he should be. Bradley is, more often than not, back defending where Warner should be. The way things are currently, the team are not playing with 1 attacking CM and 1 defensive CM; we are playing with 2 DMs.

Bradley needs someone of more attacking skill to play off of in order to effectively link up with and dictate the attack as Neslon and Bez want him to. The last few games seem to confirm that Osorio should be moved back to the centre of midfield. The team just seems to look so much better with Bradley paired next to Osorio. The two seem to drive one another forward as well as make the team tick offensively by playing better passes to the forwards and linking with the wingers.

For this game lets try Bradley and Osorio in the middle. Both can attack effectively as well as defend. (4-3-1-2)

---------------------Bendik--------------------
Orr------Hagglund-------Henry-------Bloom-
-----Oduro--------Osorio----------Bradley----
--------------------Moore----------------------
----------Gilberto----------Defoe--------------

Or the simple one:

---------------------Bendik--------------------
Orr------Hagglund-------Henry--------Bloom
Oduro-----Osorio--------Bradley-----Jackson
-----------Gilberto---------Defoe--------------

If and when we have a lead to protect, then bring on Warner and switch the team to more defensive mode.

OgtheDim
08-29-2014, 11:37 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)

Nelsen says Defoe won't play Saturday due to groin injury. Creavalle also out.

John Molinaro @JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) · 7m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/505389543974264833)

Bloom will be back tonight. Will play tomorrow. #tfc

Osorio says deal worked out between CSA and (https://twitter.com/hashtag/tfc?src=hash)#TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) over not being called up.

Nelsen says players could be released from CSA camp to play in Philly games.

Defoe also out for weds road game vs Philly

Target is to have Defoe back for home Philly game but Nelsen says end of sept more likely.

(https://twitter.com/hashtag/tfc?src=hash)

OgtheDim
08-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Gilberto and Moore to carry the load it seems.

barticusz
08-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Gilberto and Moore to carry the load it seems.

The good news is Gilberto is one of the hottest strikers in the league at the moment.. and Moore has played tremendously with him. Hope Defoe's injury isn't serious.

OgtheDim
08-29-2014, 11:50 AM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 5s (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505395326845734912) OUT for Saturday: Defoe, Creavalle, Caldwell, Morrow, Wiedeman...

djcuse
08-29-2014, 11:51 AM
The good news is Gilberto is one of the hottest strikers in the league at the moment.. and Moore has played tremendously with him. Hope Defoe's injury isn't serious.

It is :( out until end of September

OgtheDim
08-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Bez has made a point of coming out to see the media.

Sounds pissed (I'll wait to see what any video feed shows)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 48s (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505396057736744960) Bezbatchenko: "The time is now... We mean business now."

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/505395943425208320)
Bez: 'we have to take it up a notch. Last 11-12 games we haven't been good enough.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 2m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505395733521260544)

Bezbatchenko: "Time of 'gelling' is over. It's time for our experience to show."

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 51s (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505396275307872256)
Bezbatchenko: "We aren't trying to be average. We can be better."

Auzzy
08-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Ryan Richter recalled from loan with Ottawa, at least for the next few weeks. Better option at RB IMO than Jackson. Hopefully Nelsen uses him.

Jackson did play RB at his last team, so the first time Nelsen tried him there, I could live it. However if he keeps doing it after what we've seen on the field, it's really inexcusable.

Fort York Redcoat
08-29-2014, 12:18 PM
Ryan Richter recalled from loan with Ottawa, at least for the next few weeks. Better option at RB IMO than Jackson. Hopefully Nelsen uses him.

Jackson did play RB at his last team, so the first time Nelsen tried him there, I could live it. However if he keeps doing it after what we've seen on the field, it's really inexcusable.

Jackson has played there 2 times? or 3 now?

Welcome back Richter :eek:

Detroit_TFC
08-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Bez has made a point of coming out to see the media.

Sounds pissed (I'll wait to see what any video feed shows)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 48s (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505396057736744960) Bezbatchenko: "The time is now... We mean business now."

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/505395943425208320)
Bez: 'we have to take it up a notch. Last 11-12 games we haven't been good enough.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 2m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505395733521260544)

Bezbatchenko: "Time of 'gelling' is over. It's time for our experience to show."

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 51s (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505396275307872256)
Bezbatchenko: "We aren't trying to be average. We can be better."

Is he setting down a marker there? The margin of error is thin now.

JayMolly
08-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 5s (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505395326845734912) OUT for Saturday: Defoe, Creavalle, Caldwell, Morrow, Wiedeman...

New England only three points behind - BIG game for both clubs!

Last Saturday at BMO appeared promising with our prominent players back in action, but alas match ended in a tie.

Perhaps with five out for this match, TFC subs will step-up.

Go TFC GO!

Derko
08-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Kick some Fuckin' ass, be hard as nails boys.

Derko
08-29-2014, 12:33 PM
I think Jackson plays way better as a winger tracking back, to defend outside of the box. And Richter playing RB

ManUtd4ever
08-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Sigh. Defoe's groin injury seems to be a recurring issue that won't go away. I hope a full off season will allow him to stay in the lineup on a more consistent basis next season.

It's a good thing we have depth at the striker position.

Ultra & Proud
08-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Actually feel a bit better with Moore and Gil starting up front. Seem to have more chemistry and Moore, not even counting his penchant for garbage goals, makes a lot happen for us from playing deep. I wasn't sold on him at first but he is solid. That trade was a steal.

Phil
08-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Is he setting down a marker there? The margin of error is thin now.

I chatted with him last week and he was pressing the same message. I don't think the Chicago game helped obviously. Seems its up a notch.

ManUtd4ever
08-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Actually feel a bit better with Moore and Gil starting up front. Seem to have more chemistry and Moore, not even counting his penchant for garbage goals, makes a lot happen for us from playing deep. I wasn't sold on him at first but he is solid. That trade was a steal.

Agreed. If not for Moore, we would have been in serious trouble up front on many occasions this season.

C.Ronaldo
08-29-2014, 02:07 PM
I prefer moore and gilberto out there.

If Dike stays healthy, Im okay with Defoe let go for a DP mid or CB

Defoe is a superior striker, but I dont think we are good enough to utilize a superior striker effectively when you have cap restraints.

but then again, a whole offeseason to rest the knocks may give us a Defoe that bags tons of goals

Graeme
08-29-2014, 02:39 PM
So....the Canadians are not gone yet, are they?

--------------Bendik---------------------
--Bloom---Henry---Hagglund---Morgan--
-Oduro---Warner---Bradley---Osorio--
----------Gilberto----Moore-------------

Bench: Konopka, Richter, Lovitz, DeRo, Dike, Orr

Morlesio14
08-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Moore and gilberto can do the job

Kaz
08-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Honestly, I know it won't happen but bench Bradley and put DeRo in.

habstfc
08-30-2014, 12:23 AM
Honestly, I know it won't happen but bench Bradley and put DeRo in. What is your logic?

anto7
08-30-2014, 07:47 AM
New England's road form is not very good, lost 8 of 12. We have to take 3 pts today, nothing less will do if we are going to make the play-offs. And I read 4 Philly players will miss the 2 games with us next week due to international call ups. We have a huge opportunity to pick up at least 7 points from these 3 games.

BuSaPuNk
08-30-2014, 08:51 AM
New England's road form is not very good, lost 8 of 12. We have to take 3 pts today, nothing less will do if we are going to make the play-offs. And I read 4 Philly players will miss the 2 games with us next week due to international call ups. We have a huge opportunity to pick up at least 7 points from these 3 games.

I say we need the same to have a chance to stay in 3rd. Glad Philly is getting dinged we need some help as we will be losing some players as well.

barticusz
08-30-2014, 12:17 PM
With SKC loss we are 3 straight wins away from tying them in the standings. Let's see what this team is made of.

Supporting
08-30-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm planning on sneaking into 112 today...Is there like an "unspoken" rule about where certain RPB's stand or can I just grab a seat anyone in the section?? Also, any tips to get by the marshal dude ontop of the staircase?

OgtheDim
08-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Gorgeous day. The Ex is bopping. Air Show on. 99¢ spaghetti. TFC shirts spotted all over the Ex. Today I remember why it's so much better to have our team down here. Come on boys. Make the day complete.

TFC/Everton
08-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Need a single ticket in the South End.

Please call me if you have one available.

647 404 5503

notthesun
08-30-2014, 03:22 PM
XI: Bendik, Hagglund, Orr, Henry, Bloom, Osorio, Warner, Bradley, Oduro, Gilberto, Moore

Bench: Konopka, Richter, Lovitz, Bekker, Jackson, De Rosario, Dike

Well, nice knowing you Morgan. Not injured or ill according to Larson. Starting LB out injured and he doesn't even make the bench, yikes.

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 03:27 PM
XI: Bendik, Hagglund, Orr, Henry, Bloom, Osorio, Warner, Bradley, Oduro, Gilberto, Moore

Well, nice knowing you Morgan. Not injured or ill according to Larson. Starting LB out injured and he doesn't even make the bench, yikes.

really too bad he could never he regain the form he had briefly under Mariner. Hope he picks up with an NASL or USL team and makes a comeback. There's definitely a good player in there.

Kaz
08-30-2014, 03:35 PM
What is your logic?

Bradley hasn't been great. Dero offers something different and team might not have planned for in Nelsen's highly predictable and rarely changing game plan.

barticusz
08-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Bradley hasn't been great. Dero offers something different and team might not have planned for in Nelsen's highly predictable and rarely changing game plan.

Dero offers no pace, poor defending and no match fitness. He's a late match sub if anything.

flamehawk
08-30-2014, 03:40 PM

Really makes me upset that he is not even on the bench. I will be even more upset if Nelsen is showing him the door. Interesting that floro seems to rate him.

Kaz
08-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Dero offers no pace, poor defending and no match fitness. He's a late match sub if anything.

Well that is on Nelsen and the coaching staff for not keeping him match fit. Pace in a AM role is helpful but not everything.. and you have a DM, he could be used.

Bradley doesn't seem to be giving it his all of late, he should sit. IMO. It won't happen and I know this.

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 04:14 PM
Well that is on Nelsen and the coaching staff for not keeping him match fit. Pace in a AM role is helpful but not everything.. and you have a DM, he could be used.

Bradley doesn't seem to be giving it his all of late, he should sit. IMO. It won't happen and I know this.

50% of Bradley is still better than 100% of Warner

notthesun
08-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Fucking wow.

And of course it had to be a misplaced pass from Bloom at LB.

Kaz
08-30-2014, 04:18 PM
We havea defender Head coach but our defenders can't defend well.

notthesun
08-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Bendik was awful on that, btw. His form has dipped tremendously compared to last season.

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 04:19 PM
we're playing 4-2-3-1.

Kaz
08-30-2014, 04:25 PM
They are just having a warm up game right? because TFC looks lost

notthesun
08-30-2014, 04:27 PM
This is a putrid start, lord. Nice to see the players didn't give a crap about Bez firing warning shots through the media yesterday.

Morlesio14
08-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Fuck that

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 04:29 PM
There have to be some sort of incentives the FO can put in place to get people into their seats before the game starts. it's so embarrassing having the stadium looking like a mariner era champions league game until the 30th minute every. damn. game.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Bradley looks like a guy who is playing like he doesn't give a shit.

Awful start

notthesun
08-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Jesus Christ Bradley what the hell happened to you

notthesun
Oh my god this is PATHETIC

ag futbol
Did these guys practice this week or just go to the bar?

Morlesio14
08-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Wake the fuck up -bendik

save it tho joe

Kaz
08-30-2014, 04:37 PM
That is two goal now from people not knowing where Bradley is going to be... or Bradley defending poorly in the middle.....

Fire Nelsen Trade Bradley who clearly hates it here.

I'm done... call me when they are eliminated from the playoffs.

QBall
Well this is unbelievably unfortunate. Piss poor start and I don't know if the team has the heart to come back (I hope someone can rally them)

adam1001
Bradley is a fucking useless pylon. We are not going to make the playoffs.

Wingback6
08-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Both those goals are on Bradley and Warner, from the part of the pitch it is their job to protect... but you know... I'm sure it's really Bekker's fault somehow.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 04:38 PM
I don't think Bradley appreciates his role on this team. He certainly plays like he hates it.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 04:41 PM
That is two goal now from people not knowing where Bradley is going to be... or Bradley defending poorly in the middle.....

Some bad defending by the wide players as well. Someone needs to tell Oduro to track back or get acquainted with the bench.

v00d00daddy
08-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Bendik said "what the fuck is up?"

Sorry joe...nobody knows. What the fuck indeed

notthesun
08-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Nelsen better fucking rip a new one into every single guy at half. How is it possible for professional players to be this lazy and uninterested in such an important match.

Almost bought tickets for this game, damn glad I didn't now.

v00d00daddy
08-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Our commentators are downright embarrassing. Shameful.

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Our commentators are downright embarrassing. Shameful.

Mariner is trying really hard not to make fun of us on NBCSN. the grass isn't always greener.

notthesun
08-30-2014, 04:58 PM
I don't fucking get it man. Look at that ball from Bradley to Oduro. The entire length of the pitch and he pings it straight into Oduro's path.

It's not like he's lost the skills. He still pulls off stuff like that a couple times a game. You don't get that good and suddenly lose all your ability, short of a Torres-level mental breakdown.

He's just looked so damn uninterested since coming back from the WC. He was worth every penny before he left, dominated midfields single-handedly. Now he looks like a completely different player.

Did the criticism he got during the WC really get to him that much? Is he injured? Exhausted? Does he hate Nelsen or Toronto or the league or all of the above? I don't get it.

v00d00daddy
08-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Anybody else sick of us relying on crossing balls in to the box as the only form of built up Offense?

See how ne pass and run in to space? We prefer fast wingers who cross balls in. Fucking gross football.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Anybody else sick of us relying on crossing balls in to the box as the only form of built up Offense?

See how ne pass and run in to space? We prefer fast wingers who cross balls in. Fucking gross football.
I think "cross" is a bit generous. We prefer people who are athletic but mostly devoid of skill.

Oduro can walk a ball into the six yard box, but he has zero end product. No vision, no shot, nothing.

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 05:03 PM
You'd be hard pressed to find a worse half of football played by this team since the 3-0 in KC last year.

Richard
08-30-2014, 05:03 PM
I think I've seen this script before from the Leafs.

Did they drink from the wrong bottle or something? Sheesh.

Morlesio14
08-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Please win

OgtheDim
08-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Our defence is poor in all aspects. Henry without a steady head beside him is not able to make good decisions. Bradley is more than off. He's not good enough today for this league. Can't tackle worth schunt. Not that the bench is going to help.

notthesun
08-30-2014, 05:09 PM
People wondering why we don't play 4-5-1/4-2-3-1... here's your answer.

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 05:10 PM
I fucking hate Alanis Morrissette.

Rain on your wedding day is not fucking ironic.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 05:14 PM
People wondering why we don't play 4-5-1/4-2-3-1... here's your answer.
This is about 4-2-3-1? If the wide players aren't going to track back, the wingbacks are impotent, and the central mids can't tackle you are going to lose regardless of the formation.

QBall
08-30-2014, 05:16 PM
No shots on goal for TFC in the first half. I guess we need to know where to start in terms of what needs to change in the second half if we have any chance of coming back. Granted that's one of many tings.

notthesun
08-30-2014, 05:18 PM
This is about 4-2-3-1? If the wide players aren't going to track back, the wingbacks are impotent, and the central mids can't tackle you are going to lose regardless of the formation.

It's about the suggestion I've constantly seen on here that we have players that are better suited to playing a 4-2-3-1 when that clearly is not the case. As we have just seen.

I know 4-4-2 is the least sexy formation but we should collectively come to terms with the fact that it's our best option with the players we have.

MightyDM
08-30-2014, 05:21 PM
Honestly, I know it won't happen but bench Bradley and put DeRo in.

prescient.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 05:23 PM
It's about the suggestion I've constantly seen on here that we have players that are better suited to playing a 4-2-3-1 when that clearly is not the case. As we have just seen.

I know 4-4-2 is the least sexy formation but we should collectively come to terms with the fact that it's our best option with the players we have.
If we had a better understanding of how the formation works we'd play better when using it.

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Nobody on this team has any idea how to tackle without fouling.

v00d00daddy
08-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Kick long and chase...over and over. It this is intentional I may just stop watching TFC. NE play more attractive footy than us....and that's just sad to say.

And Bradley.....I love you but you're tempting me to turn on you. Smarten the fuck up.

Leedsoronto
08-30-2014, 05:26 PM
"It's a bloody big mess"

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Bradley needs to be subbed. He looks like he's been taking defending lessons from Kyle Bekker.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 05:30 PM
What is this? I feel like we've gone into a time warp

v00d00daddy
08-30-2014, 05:30 PM
If we had a better understanding of how the formation works we'd play better when using it.

I wonder if a player who has never coached could know how to teach it.

I wonder if he, as a player, ever even played it. Considering the league and teams he played on I'm guessing 4-4-2 and fast wingers crossing balls in to the box or trying to get breakaways from speed are all he ever played.

3-0

Time to stop watching .

notthesun
08-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Bezbatchenko fire sale incoming. Guarantee at least one trade or signing before next match.

Fucking pathetic performance, TFC 2012 levels. Absolutely awful.

ag futbol
So... uh, hey, how about some subs maybe?

MightyDM
Watch where Bradley is compared to Bunbury when the play starts. And then when it finishes. And he is the captain. Lets him run right in to score.

molenshtain
what a shockingly awful performance.

JavierMartini
08-30-2014, 05:32 PM
I wonder if a player who has never coached could know how to teach it.

I wonder if he, as a player, ever even played it. Considering the league and teams he played on I'm guessing 4-4-2 and fast wingers crossing balls in to the box or trying to get breakaways from speed are all he ever played.

3-0

Time to stop watching .

The ref just blocked that cross btw. lol

Orr just got bodychecked. He is gassed and still feeling that hockey hit. OFC no card on the play.

Bunbury should have seen a second yellow for his tackle on bloom a few mins ago. Nelsen might suck but this league is a bad horror movie and I'm fucking tired of it.

Morlesio14
08-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Fire nelsen the cunt

flamehawk
08-30-2014, 05:35 PM
wtf?? Osorio out for Lovitz??

v00d00daddy
08-30-2014, 05:35 PM
That's it!!! Nelsen...if I see you I'll yell at you and tell you to go back to England!!!

Taking out your ONLY technically gifted player as the first sub?

This is why Canada sucks at football. Because coaches think like TFCs idiot coach.

I hope Osorio demands to go play against Jamaica.

v00d00daddy
08-30-2014, 05:37 PM
The ref just blocked that cross btw. lol

Orr just got bodychecked. He is gassed and still feeling that hockey hit. OFC no card on the play.

Bunbury should have seen a second yellow for his tackle on bloom a few mins ago. Nelsen might suck but this league is a bad horror movie and I'm fucking tired of it.

More ref bullshit. You forgot to mention the handball we got away with in half one. Don't believe Dolan the TFC employee.

Leedsoronto
08-30-2014, 05:39 PM
It's because Osorio tried to score. That's not what they coach at defenders school

flamehawk
08-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Oduro off for Jackson??? also puzzling ...

notthesun
08-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Considering our only form of offense has been corner kicks today, makes total sense that Dike is still on the bench.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Oduro off for Jackson??? also puzzling ...
I don't understand how these subs change the game. It's just more of the same thing that already isn't working.

flamehawk
08-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Had to drive my partner somewhere today and ended up giving my ticket away to a friend. Kind of glad I did.

JavierMartini
08-30-2014, 05:44 PM
More ref bullshit. You forgot to mention the handball we got away with in half one. Don't believe Dolan the TFC employee.

To be fair , I just got in for the second half.

Dolan the tfc employee?? not getting that reference.... Also the Osorio sub was bull. Nelsen makes me facepalm.

Leedsoronto
08-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Had to drive my partner somewhere today and ended up giving my ticket away to a friend. Kind of glad I did.

Wow ow up should dothe lottery while u is still feelin lucky

v00d00daddy
08-30-2014, 05:51 PM
To be fair , I just got in for the second half.

Dolan the tfc employee?? not getting that reference.... Also the Osorio sub was bull. Nelsen makes me facepalm.

Ahh ok. Fair enough.

1st half we got away with a handball in the box where Dolan (the colour commentator) said it was off our defenders chest. It wasn't.

He and dunleavey sound like complete idiots calling this game. So unprofessional which I meant by him being a TFC employee. Lol

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 05:51 PM
What a fucking joke. There's the sub that should have been made 20 minutes ago.

flamehawk
08-30-2014, 05:53 PM
What a fucking joke. There's the sub that should have been made 20 minutes ago.

Lmao - 10 minutes for Dero to change the game

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 05:55 PM
10 minutes for Dero to change the game

...10 minutes to save humanity.

flamehawk
08-30-2014, 05:58 PM
A couple great touches and passes by Dero in the past couple minutes. ...if only he came on at 50 or 60

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 05:59 PM
A couple great touches and passes by Dero in the past couple minutes. ...if only he came on at 50 or 60
If only we figured out how to provide the ball to the feet of anybody who plays up front. Our idea of "service" is whiffing half-assed balls into the box

flamehawk
08-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Good shot by Dero and good hustle to get that opportunity

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Well, at least it's over now.

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 06:06 PM
finding it very hard to continue my stubborn support of Nelsen after these last two games.

MightyDM
08-30-2014, 06:09 PM
finding it very hard to continue my stubborn support of Nelsen after these last two games.
Me too. If he couldn't get this team up for this game, there is something clearly wrong. And Bradley had to be subbed, at least to send the message that everyone has to perform.

portu
08-30-2014, 06:10 PM
if nelsen isnt flipping tables and showing genuine anger at this result then he needs to go

it was worse than lacklustre from the boys today and the intesity of play is always going to be inherited from the natural leader at this club (Nelsen)

at this point i wouldnt be opposed to jimmy b managing (atleast hes canadian)

though seriously we need to make some roster moves before the deadline

ill stick with this club through thick and thin and praise the club when just but this beyond acceptable

notthesun
08-30-2014, 06:12 PM
First time this season I am legitimately worried we'll miss the playoffs.

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 06:19 PM
First time this season I am legitimately worried we'll miss the playoffs.

yup. me too. Games at hand and all but our form is just putrid at the moment. our defence can't stop a nosebleed.

I also think that everyone saying Bradley needs to be benched is seriously overlooking how bad Warner has been playing. Bradley, while looking mostly disinterested and lacklustre in our third of the park, hit 4-5 perfect through balls to attacking players that close to no players in the league can play. Warner has trouble doing anything at all at the moment.

OgtheDim
08-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Not Effin good enough.

pdubs
08-30-2014, 06:27 PM
team seemed lazy especially in the first half. No one really working hard except for Gilberto (wish he would of got a few of those headers on target). Poor, poor showing. Especially in the context that it is a team behind us, in the same conference gunning for playoff spots.

also how many times does Orr have to launch balls into no-mans-land. I get it you have to attempt it here and there... but at least it seemed like 75% of the time he would just hoof. Granted the team wasn't getting into positions to accept proper passes either. Bad form all around.

flamehawk
08-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Fissures starting to appear at TFC. Nelsen claiming that Bezbechenko made a mistake in putting pressure on players.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Fissures starting to appear at TFC. Nelsen claiming that Bezbechenko made a mistake in putting pressure on players.
That can't end well...

flatpicker
08-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Definitely not worth the trip to BMO today.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 06:52 PM
if nelsen isnt flipping tables and showing genuine anger at this result then he needs to go

it was worse than lacklustre from the boys today and the intesity of play is always going to be inherited from the natural leader at this club (Nelsen)

at this point i wouldnt be opposed to jimmy b managing (atleast hes canadian)

though seriously we need to make some roster moves before the deadline

ill stick with this club through thick and thin and praise the club when just but this beyond acceptable
I haven't seen anything to suggest Jimmy B. is the person we want managing this club. Sounds like an invitation to create more problems.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 06:55 PM
I'd like to see a little more skill from the fullbacks. Bloom is steady but otherwise unspectacular. Is that enough these days in MLS? I think we're starting to get to the point where teams are starting to plug in some quality in those spots.

The ability to genuinely overlap with pace and the ability to deliver a quality ball is not there. The intent is fine, nobody is doing anything wrong, but I can't help but think a really strong player on the overlap would help the midfielders more.

notthesun
08-30-2014, 06:56 PM

Oh Christ...

flamehawk
08-30-2014, 06:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_normal.jpegKurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) · 17m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505861253202735104)

Nelsen clearly not happy about expectations being artificially, as he might say, ratcheted up for this match. Said his guys felt it.

ReplyReplied to 0 times (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505861253202735104)
RetweetRetweeted 1 time1
FavoriteFavorited 0 times
More

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_normal.jpegKurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) · 18m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505860979385987072)

Nelsen said team started in 4-2-3-1 to put two guys in front of depleted back four.

ReplyReplied to 0 times (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505860979385987072)
RetweetRetweeted 0 times
More

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_normal.jpegKurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) · 20m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505860513541406720)

Nelsen on pre-game expectations ratcheted up: "Unfortunately, things happened and didn't help. As you saw, the guys were very aggravated."

ReplyReplied to 0 times (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505860513541406720)
RetweetRetweeted 1 time1
More

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_normal.jpegKurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) · 20m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505860385682239488)

Nelsen on added pressure of today's game: "Are you guys kidding me? Come on. Ten games left in the season. Long way to go."

ReplyReplied to 0 times (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505860385682239488)
RetweetRetweeted 1 time1
More

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_normal.jpegKurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) · 21m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505860080177528832)

Nelsen: "Everything we do we keep inside the walls. The players, staff, everything stays in the four walls."

ReplyReplied to 0 times (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505860080177528832)
RetweetRetweeted 1 time1
More

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_normal.jpegKurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) · 22m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505859827869175808)

Nelsen on whether GM speaking publicly helped: "I've played in a World Cup. One thing I know: This was not (a pressure) game."

ReplyReplied to 0 times (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505859827869175808)
RetweetRetweeted 2 times2
More

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_normal.jpegKurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) · 24m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/505859508263198720)

Nelsen on whether GM putting pressure on squad publicly helped matters: "Absolutely not".

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 07:02 PM
good job keeping everything on the inside there Nelly^^

:facepalm:

Oldtimer
08-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Throwing Bez under the bus...

Kaz
08-30-2014, 07:13 PM
So Nelsen is saying the people playing for TFC don't have the professional attitude and a strong enough self image that a GM saying we need to start doing better... caused them to tank.. instead of do better.... I think that is the sign of a poor coach that isn't going to be here next year.

notthesun
08-30-2014, 07:16 PM
#NelsenOut suddenly looking a lot more likely.

flamehawk
08-30-2014, 07:18 PM
#NelsenOut suddenly looking a lot more likely.

Wonder if Nelsen has been given an ultimatum, and he thought, fuck it.

Any good coaches available to take over right now?

shwade
08-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Well good fuck, if Bez's comments were too much pressure then God forbid we make the playoffs.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 07:28 PM
We are battling NE, CHI, PHI, for a playoff spot and we have games against them coming up. I don't think saying that we need to step up was an exaggeration or lumping undue pressure on anyone. If the team can't handle stating the obvious they're mentally frail.

I don't get why Nelsen went off on that. It was a bad day, but without dwelling on it they could come back next week, win and it would be in the rearview. Now it's going to be omni-present for the rest of the season.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Wonder if Nelsen has been given an ultimatum, and he thought, fuck it.

Any good coaches available to take over right now?
As far as available and quality goes, Zambrano's name really sticks out.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/10/former-la-new-york-coach-octavio-zambrano-interested-return-mls

notthesun
08-30-2014, 07:52 PM
I don't get why Nelsen went off on that. It was a bad day, but without dwelling on it they could come back next week, win and it would be in the rearview. Now it's going to be omni-present for the rest of the season.

I have to think there's some existing tension between them. Why else would Nelsen even bring it up... Bez was also asked if he thought Nelsen needed to step it up and he spun it as saying yes, but so did everyone else, including himself.

Nelsen must really be feeling the pressure. Leiweke is heading out and he had his back. Now there's a string of poor performances, and Nelsen can't rely on Defoe for another 2-3 weeks. He probably took Bez's comments as if he was being personally challenged.

Things are really beginning to go south. We desperately need 3 points next week.

OgtheDim
08-30-2014, 07:53 PM
I would like to see the video on that question before deciding what Nelsen was trying to get at. He's very protective of his players. Too protective for the team's own good.

Only 4 players were good enough today : Osorio. Oduro, Gilberto and DeRo.

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 08:07 PM
I would like to see the video on that question before deciding what Nelsen was trying to get at. He's very protective of his players. Too protective for the team's own good.

Only 4 players were good enough today : Osorio. Oduro, Gilberto and DeRo.

no way Oduro was. Had a poor touch, didn't track back and ran into blind alleys all day. Poor movement too. Osorio had a led touch.

Gilberto9
08-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Pathetic attendance. How do they expect us to fill up 8000 more seats?

pdubs
08-30-2014, 08:14 PM
has Oduro always had this bad of a first touch? Also, tho not watching Columbus often, he seemed in the past to burn a lot of players with his speed and attack the goal. Not seeing this at all from him in beating player 1v1. Seems to have the same problem Jackson has, can run for days but very likely to loose the ball while dribbling.

maninb
08-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Nelsen blames the GM for "upsetting" his players....ROTFLMAO! Welcome to the TFC Clown Show 2014.......

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 08:26 PM
no way Oduro was. Had a poor touch, didn't track back and ran into blind alleys all day. Poor movement too. Osorio had a led touch.
Yeah, I think that list really only includes Dero and Gilberto. Credit to the latter for running hard all game, well after everyone else stopped.

billyfly
08-30-2014, 08:30 PM

Poor attendance and too high expectations.

Give that World Cup playing manager a few more excuses.

OgtheDim
08-30-2014, 08:32 PM
It was interesting that they didn't attempt to announce it as a sell out. Strangley enough, my area of 221 was more full then normal. None of us happy of course...

Richard
08-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Nelsen blames the GM for "upsetting" his players....ROTFLMAO! Welcome to the TFC Clown Show 2014.......

http://i.imgur.com/ZfM8Ul1.gif

Auzzy
08-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Oh great, TFC drama days are here again. John Molinaro also reported similar stuff.

As someone else said, Nelson really doing a great job of keeping everything inside those four walls. What an effing joke. You don't like what Bez is saying? Talk to Bez!

Anyway, Nelson has said similar things, about the team needing to do better.

Nerepis
08-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Montreal beat the Crew 2-nil

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Montreal beat the Crew 2-nil

thank you god for this conference you've blessed us with.

08-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Oh great, TFC drama days are here again. John Molinaro also reported similar stuff.

As someone else said, Nelson really doing a great job of keeping everything inside those four walls. What an effing joke. You don't like what Bez is saying? Talk to Bez!

Anyway, Nelson has said similar things, about the team needing to do better.

Just watched the press conference. It's waaaaaaaaaaay worse than even the tweets make it sound.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/08/30/ryan-nelsen-august-30-2014

Start at about 3:25 in. He's throwing knives for about 5 minutes. So passive aggressive.

ryan
08-30-2014, 08:55 PM
We continue to be utterly out of sync moving the ball forward, no cohesion or predictability. Many missed opportunities.

Warner was dreadful tracking back, jogging most of the time.

We gifted them so many chances, due to dreadful passing.

We have no idea how to execute a corner kick into something on net, always finds a defender.

Our expensive MB4 was supposed to help us own the middle of the pitch, tonight we got obliterated there.

One of the, if not the, worst performance(s) of the season.

Lastly, why the fuck does every player we hate score against us? Peterson? Bunbury? Along with every ex player, when they visit, they score. It's maddening to watch.

reggie
08-30-2014, 08:56 PM
a hr and 1/2 to find a parking spot to watch that shit..i want a refund.

reggie
08-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Just watched the press conference. It's waaaaaaaaaaay worse than even the tweets make it sound.

Start at about 3:25 in. He's throwing knives for about 5 minutes. So passive aggressive.

I love that at 3 nil he was talking to his sidekick uncle fester on what to do next,thats great a guy who has never coached talking to a 3rd div college coach...jezzz

Pookie
08-30-2014, 09:35 PM
There have to be some sort of incentives the FO can put in place to get people into their seats before the game starts. it's so embarrassing having the stadium looking like a mariner era champions league game until the 30th minute every. damn. game.

The 30th minute looked quite like the 1st minute. I don't know how they can say over 20,000 with a straight face.

Marc"2L"
08-30-2014, 09:36 PM
This was my sanctuary in between shifts since I worked till 9 tonight and start at 8:30 am tomorrow.
I watched the first two minutes, forwarded to the second goal and checked the site for the final score, I probably won't even watch the game.

I think it's time to flip the lid covering the panic button. No need to hover hand it yet.

reggie
08-30-2014, 09:40 PM
The 30th minute looked quite like the 1st minute. I don't know how they can say over 20,000 with a straight face.

who gives a shit about empty seats blah blah blah,worry about how shit the team is playing..geezz:facepalm:

molenshtain
08-30-2014, 09:46 PM

I posted that before the 30th. I guess you can use the excuse of labor day weekend and people being away because the last few games have filled up really well... but even the typically awfully attended east side looked sooo empty today. Scary if we're planning on adding 8,000 seats.

Pookie
08-30-2014, 09:55 PM
That press conference. Wow.

Not sure I understand why Nelsen chose that tact. Arguing publicly with your boss never ends well.

And to say that the players were aggravated because they were feeling pressure when they shouldn't have any pressure?

What exactly did he expect when they have the highest payroll? Or when TL guaranteed the playoffs? No pressure?

Sounds like Bez simply said it is time to step up. It is isn't it?

I defend Nelsen but I am at a loss on this one.

Richard
08-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Nelsen cant loose the dressing room so he is going to protect his players, if Bez wants to call the team out then he shouldn't really expect any other comment from Nelsen when they loose. Bez isn't the one trying to mentally prepare these players, Nelsen is.

Pookie
08-30-2014, 09:56 PM
I posted that before the 30th. I guess you can use the excuse of labor day weekend and people being away because the last few games have filled up really well... but even the typically awfully attended east side looked sooo empty today. Scary if we're planning on adding 8,000 seats.

At the risk of pissing off Reggie, I will say that I agree. On the plus side, the extra supply and limited demand should hold ticket prices reasonable.

Pookie
08-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Nelsen cant loose the dressing room so he is going to protect his players, if Bez wants to call the team out then he shouldn't really expect any other comment from Nelsen. Bez isn't the one trying to mentally prepare these players, Nelsen is.

So did Nelsen feel the same when the other Tim guaranteed the playoffs?

Thomas
08-30-2014, 10:01 PM
What a shitty result. We just shouldn't be getting blown out like that...with our payroll against NE at home. I know that our defense is rather porous at the moment, but can't Bendik make a save once and a while?

reggie
08-30-2014, 10:02 PM
RN should start to feel the pressure,no playoffs no job...the poor guys were tight tonight...come on man:drinking:

Richard
08-30-2014, 10:03 PM
So did Nelsen feel the same when the other Tim guaranteed the playoffs?

That was at the beginning of the season right? I think Nelsen knows the expectation of making the playoffs, he knows he would be fired if he doesn't get there. The players know its the goal, during the season I think its best for everyone to get to work, calling out rarely works.

These comments today from him are about man management. We don't know about the mental situation of club, maybe he feels Bez is out line needlessly increasing pressure. Maybe there are rifts, Bradley not doing so well, he perhaps wants everyone to keep cool. Philosophical differences between the two I think.

Loyal
08-30-2014, 10:07 PM
There is only two possible scenarios;

Either the players are not smart enough to understand or follow a game plan or they are not athletically able to execute at this level

The biggest concern is the team constantly coming out flat to start big games

Hate to say it.......

MightyDM
08-30-2014, 10:13 PM
yup. me too. Games at hand and all but our form is just putrid at the moment. our defence can't stop a nosebleed.

I also think that everyone saying Bradley needs to be benched is seriously overlooking how bad Warner has been playing. Bradley, while looking mostly disinterested and lacklustre in our third of the park, hit 4-5 perfect through balls to attacking players that close to no players in the league can play. Warner has trouble doing anything at all at the moment.

Bradley is a terrific player and we are lucky to have him. But today, he was culpable on the first goal and after missing the pass didn't fight to stop the goal scorer; on the second two he gave it away but then didn't try very hard to stop the play that resulted from his mistake. I don't know if its tiredness, laziness, or a misguided sense of positioning, but he needed to work hard in each of those situations to try to stop any goal scoring chance. Same thing with at least one of the goals by Chicago, and I think the game before too.

Blizzard
08-30-2014, 10:19 PM
That can't end well...

Nelsen has to go anyway so this might be the rift that we need .... or that Bez needs to bring in a proper coach. Lord knows that's our biggest problem right now (not to belittle the injury situation).

MightyDM
08-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Error

levyashin
08-30-2014, 10:26 PM
I have tried to write this a few times but each time I look at what is written ;I erase so here goes.
NELSON---(1)Try coaching instead of complaining.
(2)He could have subbed anyone of Bradley/Oduro/Osario/Warner/Moore/Orr who were ALL PUTRID.
(3)1 sub at 60th---1 at 70th and 1at 80 mins--we were crap and down 3-0 Dero/ Dike/Lovitz could have gone in at the half --MIGHT have made a difference.
(4)Do not get me started on the lack of defending on all 3 goals.Pass them the ball and move out of the way.
(5)IF THIS IS T.F.C. FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON ------####
BeZ had better look into his crystal ball and conjure a genie.
WE HAVE 10 GAMES LEFT AND 17 POINTS TO GET.
ON TODAY'S PERFORMANCE WE WILL BE LUCKY TO GET 7.
The crap that comes out of Nelson's mouth is beyond belief.
On a side note maybe it is time for Robert's to get a few games because right now we do not have a goalkeeper.:drinking::drum::hump:

Blizzard
08-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Error Ya, the Lamport lot was full quite early. Big line-up of vehicles outside it when I was walking to BMO.

ManUtd4ever
08-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Tonight was definitely the low point of the season. To be embarrassed on home soil by any team is unforgivable, let alone against a squad with the recent record of New England. Nelsen is accountable, but so are the players. There was absolutely no urgency tonight from the opening whistle.

Even with the recent bout of injuries, I thought the playoffs were a lock with this team at the very least, but I'm not so sure anymore.

reggie
08-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Nelsen has to go anyway so this might be the rift that we need .... or that Bez needs to bring in a proper coach. Lord knows that's our biggest problem right now (not to belittle the injury situation).

oh how I miss the Blizzard,,jomo ,ace,even bob Houghton,he would sure steady that D.

jloome
08-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Tonight was definitely the low point of the season. To be embarrassed on home soil by any team is unforgivable, let alone against a squad with the recent record of New England. Nelsen is accountable, but so are the players. There was absolutely no urgency tonight from the opening whistle.

Even with the recent bout of injuries, I thought the playoffs were a lock with this team at the very least, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Not sure if the Bez comments were staged distraction from the awful play or genuine rift; doesn't matter. We played like a disinterested locker room full of people who don't much like each other tonight. If that hasn't changed in the next few games, Nelsen will be on exceedingly thin ice.

ManUtd4ever
08-30-2014, 10:53 PM
As for the comments by Nelsen regarding Bez, I stand behind Bez 100%.

gracos
08-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Nelsen seems to be unable to manage a team, and needs to move on, I cannot stand that our club was unable to get any results in the recent past, i also feel management has really been poor with signings during the summer transfer window, and we are actually heading back towards the bottom of the league, i dont feel like with the injury to Defoe we will have it easy to advance into the playoffs, we may even miss the playoffs especially with the direction we have been heading

v00d00daddy
08-30-2014, 10:57 PM
There is only two possible scenarios;

Either the players are not smart enough to understand or follow a game plan or they are not athletically able to execute at this level

The biggest concern is the team constantly coming out flat to start big games

Hate to say it.......

Third scenario could be that Nelsen has them playing shitty, predictable footy that is not open to creating real chances and is totally dependant on one player at a time great plays (Defoe, Gilberto etc) and the league knowing that scoring on TFC is just easy.

Nelsen can't get credit for our "improvement" and then avoid being shit on when the team looks awful.

If Nelsen didn't have the richest team in the league we'd be at the bottom.

T-boy
08-30-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm not going to say jump on the Nelson Out wagon, but its clear something in the house isn't right - Nelson and Bez need to be on the same page. I did personally think it was a bit weird that Bez originally publicly did put the team/Nelson under pressure yesterday - PR should be down to Nelson and nobody else IMO. I'm assuming that there have been other things happenning behind the scenes with management and/or players.

This isn't the time to all fall apart, now is the time to all be on the same page.

Today was the worst I've seen TFC in quite a while. The most troubling was that it looked like some of the players didn't give a shit - on the frist two goals Bradley didn't even attempt to track back to make an interception, Warner was the same. Bradley's passing, which is usually extremely accurate, was wayward, overpassing or passing to nobody (he NEVER usually does that!).

Something has to change quickly to get some results right now. Something just wasn't right today at all.

Yohan
08-30-2014, 11:32 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/30/armchair-analyst-things-arent-right-toronto-fc-and-its-time-start-worrying

nfitz
08-30-2014, 11:39 PM
It was interesting that they didn't attempt to announce it as a sell out. Strangley enough, my area of 221 was more full then normal. None of us happy of course...I thought they announced the same sell-out attendance they've been announcing all season. 22,591 if I remember correctly.

Cashcleaner
08-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Wasn't able to catch the game today. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was probably for the best? Not much to go by on the highlights reel. I just don't get how we just don't show up for certain matches. It always sucks to drop 3 points at home, but when you do it against a team in your conference that you're neck-and-neck entering the the last 3/4ths of the season - the loss becomes significantly compounded. I'm not really a fan of Nelsen's presser, either. I disagree that with his take on the importance of this (or lack thereof as he sorta implies).

reggie
08-30-2014, 11:48 PM
they must of had the pregame meal in the food building tonight.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Nelsen cant loose the dressing room so he is going to protect his players, if Bez wants to call the team out then he shouldn't really expect any other comment from Nelsen when they loose. Bez isn't the one trying to mentally prepare these players, Nelsen is.
The way they played tonight it didn't look much like a group of guys protecting their manager. It looked like a big FU.

ag futbol
08-30-2014, 11:59 PM
While I'm certainly not a Nelsen fan by any means, I am loathe to point out that Bez really does get a pass on a lot of things that should be more critically examined. Finessing the legalities of contracts for MLS FO and being a GM of a club are fundamentally different. Yet again we are guinea pigs for some stupid initiative that has no prior grounding in the league.

reggie
08-31-2014, 12:01 AM
I miss preki ball...on a positive note.they cant increase the ticket prices if we don't make the playoffs,can they?
and we will get a better draft pick.

speckles
08-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Nelson called out Bez for more reasons than just yesterdays comments. Bez was not constructive and the only outcome would be divisive. The TL departure has blown their protective cover... couple with the team lost form and lack of depth ...both Bez and Nelson are under pressure. The only difference is Nelson doesn't need the job. Actually all the haters of Nelson make me laugh here..they forget the utter lack of professionalism and skill shown by the players today and the last few games especially. Most notably Bradly in the last few games has make it clear why he never made it to the first team when in Europe. Changing momentum is very difficult especially with a thin squad. Ask VG at MU.

JavierMartini
08-31-2014, 12:27 AM

and yes there were no pairs available at the box office and scalpers were charging out the ass , as per usual.... glad i took the go home though.

People who have seats need to show up or sell/drop their tickets so others can go. 0 pairs at the gate is bullshit and their over inflated prices are too. More seats with prices that reflect the actual product on the pitch.

I cant help but reflect on the ludicrous ticket prices and compare them to other teams stadiums and matches around the world I've visited with much better products on the pitch. It's utter madness.

v00d00daddy
08-31-2014, 07:09 AM

Brutal.

Does anyone else find Nelsen putting dero at the bottom of the depth chart at fwd as the only place on our squad as idiotic?

Dero can't come in a replace one of the awful midfielders when it's not working? (Jackson, oduro nothing but speed)

Dero can't come in when we're down a goal or two and replace warner and tell Bradley to stay the fuck back and be a defensive midfielder?

Why can't the coach figure out a way to incorporate the players he has?

Simple answer....he brings up shit about the football he loves...regardless whether it's effective. He prefers playing long balls...fast wingers who cross the ball in and scoring that way only.

The idea of passing the ball to your teammate who is 10-15 feet away just doesn't apply until it's Bradley demanding the ball. Nobody else passes and moves. (Kinda the way NE schooled us on all their goals)

As for Bez vs Nelsen...who cares. Nelsen still thinks like a player. Not a coach. He's got his undies in a bunch and is going aggressive because he's petrified after being told to be better and failing.

MightyDM
08-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Not sure if the Bez comments were staged distraction from the awful play or genuine rift; doesn't matter. We played like a disinterested locker room full of people who don't much like each other tonight. If that hasn't changed in the next few games, Nelsen will be on exceedingly thin ice.

That's how it looked, as opposed to the first Columbus game, when all the subs came on and played great. I think Nelsen has made line up errors in the past several games by trying to go with his starters out of position - Jackson and Bloom being examples.

SirBobSaget
08-31-2014, 08:01 AM
The same exact subs every time regardless how the game is going. Lobitz at left mid. Then later right mid gets subbed finally a forward maybe.

Pookie
08-31-2014, 08:26 AM
Just recapping this.

TFC has a goal to win Championships…. right?

The players allegedly feel aggravated because they didn't think it was a game of importance?

What did they think it was, an exhibition game?

I was pissed at Bez a few weeks ago when he came out and said that the Montreal game wasn't a "must win" and he claimed they were in great shape being 3rd in a weak conference. Aiming for mediocrity is the message that I got. No killer instinct. No desire to put teams away. No expectation that every game will be played with full competitiveness.

A few weeks later after seeing lackluster performance after lackluster performance he says this:

“… time to take it up a notch.”

“I think everyone would agree — the coaches, the players — that over the last 12 or so games, it hasn’t been good enough, at least for making a run in MLS,”

Saying the team is “in a good position” in the standings, the GM talked of the need to show a “killer instinct” in the 11 remaining regular-season games.

“That means closing out games, managing games,” he said. “I think we have the ability on our team to do it.”

Bezbatchenko said expectations are higher now for Toronto, whose ownership has dug deep into its considerable pockets to acquire star talent like Defoe and Michael Bradley.

Asked if he believes his team has underproduced when it comes to killer instinct, Bezbatchenko said the franchise had lacked on that score in past years.

“I think now we’re at an OK level but our standards are not just OK now, we’re not just trying to be average,” he said. “Killer instinct means that we can compete with elite teams at the end of games. So we can do better.”

That includes the injury-ravaged defence, which has given up more goals per game this year than last.

“Is it a concern? Yeah, that’s a concern,” said the GM. “I think that the players would be the first to hold up their hands and say we need to be better ... especially at the end of games, you’ve got to do more than just what’s expected of yourself.

“We’ve obviously have shown the ability to be sound and tight defensively. But I think that in the last few games we’ve lost some of that.”

Bottom line?

“The time is now,” Bezbatchenko said. “So that’s sort of the message out to our fans and to our club. It’s we mean business now.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2014/08/29/toronto_fc_star_jermain_defoe_out_for_several_week s_with_injury.html

Nelsen has a problem with this?

MightyDM
08-31-2014, 08:27 AM
Having looked at the press conference again, I think it is quite possible that Nelsen was extremely angry at his team but did not want to call them out in public. The past two or three games he has been bemoaning goals lost because players got into "comfortable' positions rather than doing what was needed to stop a goal. In those instances, I think he was talking about Bradley and Warner, and the first two goals tonight were from the space in front of the back four that is their responsibility, yet neither made the hard effort needed to close it down. This must have infuriated him. His comments about things staying in the locker room make sense if he means that he just gave the locker room a total dressing down but isn't going to tell us.

MightyDM
08-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Just recapping this.

TFC has a goal to win Championships…. right?

The players allegedly feel aggravated because they didn't think it was a game of importance?

What did they think it was, an exhibition game?

I was pissed at Bez a few weeks ago when he came out and said that the Montreal game wasn't a "must win" and he claimed they were in great shape being 3rd in a weak conference. Aiming for mediocrity is the message that I got. No killer instinct. No desire to put teams away. No expectation that every game will be played with full competitiveness.

A few weeks later after seeing lackluster performance after lackluster performance he says this:

“… time to take it up a notch.”

“I think everyone would agree — the coaches, the players — that over the last 12 or so games, it hasn’t been good enough, at least for making a run in MLS,”

Saying the team is “in a good position” in the standings, the GM talked of the need to show a “killer instinct” in the 11 remaining regular-season games.

“That means closing out games, managing games,” he said. “I think we have the ability on our team to do it.”

Bezbatchenko said expectations are higher now for Toronto, whose ownership has dug deep into its considerable pockets to acquire star talent like Defoe and Michael Bradley.

Asked if he believes his team has underproduced when it comes to killer instinct, Bezbatchenko said the franchise had lacked on that score in past years.

“I think now we’re at an OK level but our standards are not just OK now, we’re not just trying to be average,” he said. “Killer instinct means that we can compete with elite teams at the end of games. So we can do better.”

That includes the injury-ravaged defence, which has given up more goals per game this year than last.

“Is it a concern? Yeah, that’s a concern,” said the GM. “I think that the players would be the first to hold up their hands and say we need to be better ... especially at the end of games, you’ve got to do more than just what’s expected of yourself.

“We’ve obviously have shown the ability to be sound and tight defensively. But I think that in the last few games we’ve lost some of that.”

Bottom line?

“The time is now,” Bezbatchenko said. “So that’s sort of the message out to our fans and to our club. It’s we mean business now.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2014/08/29/toronto_fc_star_jermain_defoe_out_for_several_week s_with_injury.html

Nelsen has a problem with this?

It is public criticism of Nelsen from his boss. Of course he has a problem with it.

Pookie
08-31-2014, 08:36 AM
It is public criticism of Nelsen from his boss. Of course he has a problem with it.

Managers, the world over, talk publicly about their teams needing to play better. If Nelsen has a problem with expectations, he may be in the wrong line of work.

Kaz
08-31-2014, 08:38 AM
has any one noticed that Nelsen never takes responsibility for the team? it is always someone else's fault. The Refs, Bez, the other side being dirty... the weather, the pitch. It's not the team sucked. It's not he made bad choices, It's not he was out coached.

Any time we face a high pressure team they destroy us because or high experience Defender Coach, can't instil a good defensive shape that will hope up to pressure. There is this pressure to do one touch passes in the midfield, and there is a distribution bottle neck any time Bradley plays. If we had kept iggy, we need three midfielders that can distribute the ball... Oh and a game plan for a game to deal with teams

Pookie
08-31-2014, 08:42 AM
You know, here's an interesting quote from Carl Robinson on yesterday's loss to the Timbers. Vancouver also sits on 33 points. 1 point out of a playoff spot whereas Toronto finds itself tied for the last spot with 2 other teams within 3 points.

"We got a doing today for the first time this season, me included," Robinson told reporters after the match. "I don't think we were at our top performance levels that we've been most of the games this season at home. It's unfortunate because it was a fantastic opportunity for us and we sort of let ourselves down a little bit, not from effort but just maybe from concentration at certain moment of the game.

"They were better than us today. You go through our players and their players and their players probably come out on top in most individual battles. We were chasing shadows at the end."

"It is a massive game," Robinson said. "It's a rivalry game for us at home against a team that's competing the playoff spot. I could say it's just another normal game and I wouldn't be being honest, and that's one thing I am. It was a massive game for us. We lost, we take it on the chin and move on."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/31/vancouver-whitecaps-coach-carl-robinson-says-team-was-chasing-shadows-end-lo

Same situation, much different reaction. I think the vast majority would prefer Robinson's approach. Just as direct as Bez. Honest and speaks to having internal control over outcomes not blaming others for what happens.

Redcoe15
08-31-2014, 08:46 AM
I attended a wedding yesterday and missed the match. Glad I did.

DOMIN8R
08-31-2014, 08:53 AM
NE wanted it more and they shut us down. They closed our passing channels like they were reading our minds.

Don't disagree with much of the negative posts here. At the risk of sounding like the lone voice of optimism in a sea of despair.....DeRo brought a sense of urgency, desire and intensity that brought back memories of old. It looked like he was trying to carry the team on his back!

anto7
08-31-2014, 08:55 AM
We are attempting to play possession based soccer, which I think most of us want to see. However, there are some fundamental flaws with us trying to do this with the current crop of players (injuries not helping this). Henry and Haggeland are not comfortable on the ball and are always at risk of giving the ball away cheaply. I always worry when Bradley passes it to Henry, I would rather he keep it himself. Caldwell is not that much better with the ball either. So if Bradley is being marked and one of these guys gets the ball we always look like we are going to give the ball away.
When Bradley gets the ball he is invariable too deep in possession. This means he ends up either passing it to one of the defenders (see concern above) or he tries to spray 50 yard balls to the wings which have about a 50% success rate. We need to have more off the ball movement from our other midfielders and our forwards to provide better outlets for Bradley. The only time we look good is when he is making quick interchanges with Oso, Warner or to the feet of Moore or Gilberto. But this occurs we too infrequently.
I think we really need a CB who is good with the ball so that he can bring it out from the back and then feed Bradley further up the pitch. We also need a more creative midfielder, someone like Oso but better. Nyugen is a good example.
Nothing new here with what I am saying, just observations from yesterday's awful performance.

08-31-2014, 09:13 AM
Managers, the world over, talk publicly about their teams needing to play better. If Nelsen has a problem with expectations, he may be in the wrong line of work.

Nelson, himself called the Montreal match a "must-win" with 15 games to go in the season.

Everything out of his mouth at yesterday's presser was petulant and absurd.

anto7
08-31-2014, 09:24 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/30/armchair-analyst-things-arent-right-toronto-fc-and-its-time-start-worrying

This is a really good analysis of TFC IMO

MightyDM
08-31-2014, 09:27 AM

Nelsen is the Manager. My comment wasn't about expectations, it was about your boss calling you out in public.

I happen to think most of the comments are innocuous, but Nelsen is a principled guy who believes that these comments should be made in private. I think he is right.

mcolvy
08-31-2014, 09:27 AM
By Nelsen speaking for the players and insinuating that they were 'agitated' by Bez's comments and that it was the reason they came out flat and conceded two goals early, Nelsen has basically guaranteed his demise... If the players internally are pissed at Bez for his comments than they are f***ing sucks, but I really think that it was Nelsen being dramatic. By making this game bigger, Bez could have not only been encouraging the players/coaches, but also fans who have started to fall out of the "bloody big deal" excitement and are realizing they just have an average team who play a simple, boring brand of soccer. He can do that. I am okay with him doing that. But now there has been too much pressure put on the team? What the hell is going to happen when you get to the playoffs Nelly, how dare there be any pressure on the team?

v00d00daddy
08-31-2014, 09:30 AM
We are attempting to play possession based soccer, which I think most of us want to see. However, there are some fundamental flaws with us trying to do this with the current crop of players (injuries not helping this). Henry and Haggeland are not comfortable on the ball and are always at risk of giving the ball away cheaply. I always worry when Bradley passes it to Henry, I would rather he keep it himself. Caldwell is not that much better with the ball either. So if Bradley is being marked and one of these guys gets the ball we always look like we are going to give the ball away.
When Bradley gets the ball he is invariable too deep in possession. This means he ends up either passing it to one of the defenders (see concern above) or he tries to spray 50 yard balls to the wings which have about a 50% success rate. We need to have more off the ball movement from our other midfielders and our forwards to provide better outlets for Bradley. The only time we look good is when he is making quick interchanges with Oso, Warner or to the feet of Moore or Gilberto. But this occurs we too infrequently.
I think we really need a CB who is good with the ball so that he can bring it out from the back and then feed Bradley further up the pitch. We also need a more creative midfielder, someone like Oso but better. Nyugen is a good example.
Nothing new here with what I am saying, just observations from yesterday's awful performance.

Nelsen ridiculed the idea of valuing possession in his press conference after the game. He doesn't care about possession.

And possession in our own third doesn't count as possession. Possession is when you and your teammates are passing the ball to each other to move towards the opposition keeper and get a chance.

We flat out don't do that. Osorio is the only player we have from midfield who does.

Our strikers are sprinters. Our wingers too.

It's ugly soccer...even when we were winning with it. Now that the league has figured us out (not hard because Nelsen can't change) it's gonna be bad for the rest of the year unless sprinter Defoe comes back.

MightyDM
08-31-2014, 09:36 AM

This is a really good analysis of TFC IMO

yes. Playoffs, and a deep run in them are not out of the question, but Nelsen has to sort this out.

MightyDM
08-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Also, we were far better defensively with Jackson wide left than with Osorio in that position. Maybe it's time to switch back to that and replace Warner with Osorio or Bekker, due to their possession skills. Makes Bradley a DM but that might be best for the team.

MightyDM
08-31-2014, 09:49 AM
PS Tottenham lost at home 3-0 to Liverpool and had 60 per cent possession......

Pint
08-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Yesterday my conversations went from discussing a pitch invasion if/when we clinch a playoff spot to scenarios where we are out of a playoff spot.

They need erd to figure themselves out quickly because we have a bunch of team biting at our heels right now.

notthesun
08-31-2014, 10:33 AM
Nelsen ridiculed the idea of valuing possession in his press conference after the game. He doesn't care about possession.

I just watched it. He ridiculed possession stats, not possessing the ball or controlling the game. Be fair.

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Brutal.

Does anyone else find Nelsen putting dero at the bottom of the depth chart at fwd as the only place on our squad as idiotic?

Dero can't come in a replace one of the awful midfielders when it's not working? (Jackson, oduro nothing but speed)

Dero can't come in when we're down a goal or two and replace warner and tell Bradley to stay the fuck back and be a defensive midfielder?

Why can't the coach figure out a way to incorporate the players he has?

Simple answer....he brings up shit about the football he loves...regardless whether it's effective. He prefers playing long balls...fast wingers who cross the ball in and scoring that way only.

The idea of passing the ball to your teammate who is 10-15 feet away just doesn't apply until it's Bradley demanding the ball. Nobody else passes and moves. (Kinda the way NE schooled us on all their goals)

As for Bez vs Nelsen...who cares. Nelsen still thinks like a player. Not a coach. He's got his undies in a bunch and is going aggressive because he's petrified after being told to be better and failing.

And possession in our own third doesn't count as possession. Possession is when you and your teammates are passing the ball to each other to move towards the opposition keeper and get a chance.

We flat out don't do that. Osorio is the only player we have from midfield who does.

Our strikers are sprinters. Our wingers too.

It's ugly soccer...even when we were winning with it. Now that the league has figured us out (not hard because Nelsen can't change) it's gonna be bad for the rest of the year unless sprinter Defoe comes back.

Not to pick on you specifically, vdad, but your take on Nelsen is a possibility that could be completely turned on its head.

You see the sprinty hoofball we're playing and see that as Nelsen's ideal. I see it as the "go to" every one of our coaches has used when faced with a group that can't deal with a more complex system.

Look at our acquisitions. Best example Creavalle and Oduro. Both players have been sporadic in their creativity (although we see flashes) but their speed is undeniable. I remember hoping for more when a couple (literally 2) games the pairing of Jackson and Morrow was actually productive. We've seen a simplification that has devolved to the point of being easily found out.

I wanted to see so much more yesterday but what I saw was sometimes a clinic coming from NE. They fought for the first, the second was another unexpected stunner from so far out (can't remember how long ago they did it before but remember the highlight) and the last was just a complete capitulation. The less Toronto tries to remember from this weekends match the better.

On DeRo, I can't believe with how much we talked about his positioning over the years your proposal of so many versatile roles for him. More than one coach has tried to cement him in a role and he's eternally drifting back to the position he prefers (not that he hasn't been prolific in that role- he has.One of the best in the league's history, no doubt).

anto7
08-31-2014, 10:40 AM
I just watched it. He ridiculed possession stats, not possessing the ball or controlling the game. Be fair.
That was my take on the comments too. Basically saying that having all the possession doesn't mean you are going to win, not that he does not agree in possession soccer

Pookie
08-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Nelsen is the Manager. My comment wasn't about expectations, it was about your boss calling you out in public.

I happen to think most of the comments are innocuous, but Nelsen is a principled guy who believes that these comments should be made in private. I think he is right.

He made similar comments himself about the team through the season so I don't get where you think he feels these should be private.

I also don't see Bez calling out Nelsen. He called out the team. As many have done the world over.

A month or so ago Bez said that Nelsen was doing a terrific job and that not making the playoffs wouldn't necessarily cost him his job. Did Nelsen have an issue with those public comments?

At the end of the day, I'd take Carl Robinson's approach over Nelsen's any day.

I like Nelsen. I do think he made a big mistake last night though.

Pookie
08-31-2014, 11:41 AM
The work ethic of Hagglund, DeRosario and Gilberto cannot be questioned in that game.

ManUtd4ever
08-31-2014, 11:42 AM

This.

ManUtd4ever
08-31-2014, 11:46 AM
You know, here's an interesting quote from Carl Robinson on yesterday's loss to the Timbers. Vancouver also sits on 33 points. 1 point out of a playoff spot whereas Toronto finds itself tied for the last spot with 2 other teams within 3 points.

"We got a doing today for the first time this season, me included," Robinson told reporters after the match. "I don't think we were at our top performance levels that we've been most of the games this season at home. It's unfortunate because it was a fantastic opportunity for us and we sort of let ourselves down a little bit, not from effort but just maybe from concentration at certain moment of the game.

"They were better than us today. You go through our players and their players and their players probably come out on top in most individual battles. We were chasing shadows at the end."

"It is a massive game," Robinson said. "It's a rivalry game for us at home against a team that's competing the playoff spot. I could say it's just another normal game and I wouldn't be being honest, and that's one thing I am. It was a massive game for us. We lost, we take it on the chin and move on."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/31/vancouver-whitecaps-coach-carl-robinson-says-team-was-chasing-shadows-end-lo

Same situation, much different reaction. I think the vast majority would prefer Robinson's approach. Just as direct as Bez. Honest and speaks to having internal control over outcomes not blaming others for what happens.

Agreed.

If Nelsen refuses to hold players accountable when they don't show up, how are they suppose to snap out of this recent funk?

There's a fine line between being a player's coach and losing credibility in the locker room.