Pages : [1] 2

Yohan
08-18-2014, 07:54 PM
TV: Sportsnet 360
Entrance to CNE is free with a printed game ticket

Chicago Last 5: L-D-D-W-L
Toronto Last 5: L-L-W-W-L
Toronto last game vs Chicago: 2 Jul @ Toyota Park, 1-1

Should be easy 3 pts vs Chicago who are in a bit of tailspin.

Ref is Daniel Fitzgerald, who to my knowledge, hasn't reffed a game so far this season in MLS (mostly used as 4th official)

Pint
08-18-2014, 08:49 PM
It's about time we are back home

mowe
08-18-2014, 09:04 PM
We better win this game. Can't give up points to shitty teams at home.

Kaz
08-18-2014, 09:53 PM
2-2 tie. I say Earnshaw will catch some of the new people of guard. Chicago are tough to beat.

notthesun
08-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Gilberto hat trick.

Ivy
08-19-2014, 12:34 AM
2-2 tie. I say Earnshaw will catch some of the new people of guard. Chicago are tough to beat.
Earnshaw catches teams of major defensive mistakes. Don't make any Orr type back passes, and you're good.

Yohan
08-19-2014, 02:03 AM
Let's hope Henry doesn't make a bonehead mistake and cost us another PK (I count at least 4 PKs given away by Henry to date)

OgtheDim
08-19-2014, 07:35 AM
Rain all day is the forecast.

Voodooman
08-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Another new ref? Honestly, all we get is new refs....and Toledo

Canary10
08-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Earnshaw tweeted yesterday he was at the American embassy in London, and said wish him luck. I think there's a good chance he doesn't play on Saturday.

notthesun
08-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Let's hope Henry doesn't make a bonehead mistake and cost us another PK (I count at least 4 PKs given away by Henry to date)

4 in MLS, one in Voyageurs Cup. Leads MLS in penalties conceded this season.

ryan
08-19-2014, 10:27 AM
I gotta miss this one, bollocks.

Hopefully they get the 3pts, no reason why we can't against this side. Beating them with some authority would be a nice bounce back from the KC game.

Kaz
08-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Earnshaw tweeted yesterday he was at the American embassy in London, and said wish him luck. I think there's a good chance he doesn't play on Saturday.

If that is the case then 1-1 tie.

TFC scores first. Chicago ties and TFC can't get the second. If Earnshaw play, TFC, Chicago, Chicago and TFC after the 80th to salvage a point.

Suds
08-19-2014, 10:36 AM

Damn! Guess that means we'll all have to sit under a beer tent at the CNE all day to keep dry.

Life can just be so rough at times! :)

Alonso
08-19-2014, 11:18 AM

My Accuweather app says overcast and sunny with no rain.

Weather forecasting sucks.

Alonso
08-19-2014, 11:27 AM
4 in MLS, one in Voyageurs Cup. Leads MLS in penalties conceded this season.

http://www.statbunker.com/competitions/AgainstPenalty?comp_id=476

Apparently according to this ^, as a team we're 4th in PK's conceded this year so far.

And so far more PK's given this year than all of last year combined, with 13 games remaining.

Seems like the ref's are being instructed to be stricter with physical contact in the box league wide.

Gilberto should have had at least two PK's called in his favour on breakaways that were never called.

EDIT: We've conceded 6 and have been awarded 3 so far this year.

Graeme
08-19-2014, 12:04 PM
[Begin wishful thinking]

-------------------Bendik-------------------
--Bloom---Hagglund--Caldwell--Morrow--
-Oduro---Warner----Bradley---Osorio----
----------Gilberto------Defoe--------------

[/wishful thinking]

notthesun
08-19-2014, 12:31 PM
http://www.statbunker.com/competitions/AgainstPenalty?comp_id=476

Apparently according to this ^, as a team we're 4th in PK's conceded this year so far.

And so far more PK's given this year than all of last year combined, with 13 games remaining.

Seems like the ref's are being instructed to be stricter with physical contact in the box league wide.

Gilberto should have had at least two PK's called in his favour on breakaways that were never called.

EDIT: We've conceded 6 and have been awarded 3 so far this year.

Absolutely the refs are being far more harsh this year with contact in the box. Nevertheless, we all know Henry's weakness is being over-aggressive. If he could control himself in high pressure situations he'd be a top 5 CB in the league, easily.

Auzzy
08-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Looks like Earnshaw may be in Chicago before the weekend. No idea if playing though, Transfer Certificate completed in time, all the rest.

@RobertEarnshaw (https://twitter.com/RobertEarnshaw) 19m (https://twitter.com/RobertEarnshaw/status/501825303447371776)
Looking forward to flying out to Chicago tomorrow afternoon.New city,and New team is very exciting.

portu
08-19-2014, 05:41 PM
I can see Defoe grabbing a hat trick

razor787
08-19-2014, 06:02 PM
I could see Earnshaw on the bench, but that's about it. He won't start.

Defoe
08-19-2014, 08:38 PM
[Begin wishful thinking]

-------------------Bendik-------------------
--Bloom---Hagglund--Caldwell--Morrow--
-Oduro---Warner----Bradley---Osorio----
----------Gilberto------Defoe--------------

[/wishful thinking]

------------- Bendik --------------------
Bloom - Henry - Caldwell - Morrow
---------------Warner------------------
----- Oduro - Bradley - Gilberto
-------------Moore Defoe

OgtheDim
08-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Moore had a stinker last game.

Time for us to see you if the 3 DP's can do something together.

BuSaPuNk
08-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Moore had a stinker last game.

Time for us to see you if the 3 DP's can do something together.

I agree time for all three to get the start together. Gilberto has to start he's been on fire.

Kaz
08-20-2014, 10:47 AM
I'd like to see.

------------- Bendik ----------------
--Bloom - Henry - Caldwell - Morrow--
--------------Bradley----------------
----Oduro------><-------Osorio-----
-----Gilberto - Defoe - Moore--------

With bradley playing a DM distributor role.

With Oduro and Osorio floating and switching sides as the need arises

I don't think that will happen but I'd like to see it.

WestStandGeoff
08-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Heads up to those who come in via the Yonge subway line... just got a notification from our building manager that the line is closed between Bloor and Eglington stations this weekend for track and signal upgrades. As usual, shuttle buses running, but might want to think of alternates.

smtavare
08-20-2014, 06:20 PM
I'd like to see.

------------- Bendik ----------------
--Bloom - Henry - Caldwell - Morrow--
--------------Bradley----------------
----Oduro------><-------Osorio-----
-----Gilberto - Defoe - Dike--------

With bradley playing a DM distributor role.

With Oduro and Osorio floating and switching sides as the need arises

I don't think that will happen but I'd like to see it.

Dike for Moore, what a power lineup

Richard
08-20-2014, 06:42 PM
^^^^

That would indeed be a power lineup. Dike would add another dimension to the attack and that's a 3 headed monster no team in the league could match up against. The question is can Oduro and Osario play the two way support role, possibly too many goals conceded in that formation.

Kaz
08-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Dike for Moore, what a power lineup

Just not sure where Dike is fitness or health he needs a few sub games. Moore has also done well with assists. In that Scenario I'd actually keep Moore on the field a head of Oduro, Moore may not have the speed but if you sup Moore for Oduro at 60 minutes... tired chicago vs fresh Oduro would be scary.

Honestly I'd like to see Defoe subed about 70-75 minutes and have Dike put in, level headed move that totally changes the attack.

OgtheDim
08-21-2014, 11:44 AM
The weather outlook has changed (or gone to what Accuweather was saying).

20 degrees with no rain.

burlington Red
08-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Just not sure where Dike is fitness or health he needs a few sub games. Moore has also done well with assists. In that Scenario I'd actually keep Moore on the field a head of Oduro, Moore may not have the speed but if you sup Moore for Oduro at 60 minutes... tired chicago vs fresh Oduro would be scary.

Honestly I'd like to see Defoe subed about 70-75 minutes and have Dike put in, level headed move that totally changes the attack.

exactly, we can't be starting Dike at this stage, he's just come back form a serious injury, considering his injury record also, let's just ease him in. We have enough coverage up front that we don't need to rush him.
Dike coming in late is a better option, he gives us more of a direct target

Derko
08-21-2014, 12:04 PM
C'mon Nelson, show us how big your balls are and play our 3 DP's. what good is having any of them on the bench. Time we gave an opponent a bad whoppin'. Attack, Attack,Attack for 90 minutes

Canary10
08-21-2014, 12:12 PM
C'mon Nelson, show us how big your balls are and play our 3 DP's. what good is having any of them on the bench. Time we gave an opponent a bad whoppin'. Attack, Attack,Attack for 90 minutes

Yeah. Let's get Gilberto and JD going at the same time!

ManUtd4ever
08-21-2014, 12:25 PM
If Defoe is 100%, I agree that it's time to start all of our DPs. It seems like an eternity since they have been on the pitch together.

ag futbol
08-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Let's see if they can play together and both be productive. If it's a 1+1=1.5 scenario, start rotating. I don't see why you wouldn't considering Defoe has been battling injuries and has played better with Moore this far.

Initial B
08-22-2014, 06:29 AM
I think TFC can probably pull off a win tomorrow, I'm saying 2-1.

Ruffian
08-22-2014, 06:59 AM
Moore has also done well with assists.

Moore has a much better strike rate on Toronto FC than Dike also.

Derko
08-22-2014, 08:01 AM
I want to see a 3 or 4 goal performance from TFC, we have the ability, just need to take the chances and strike at the net from everywhere.

Kaz
08-22-2014, 10:32 AM

Your right his strike rate last season in the 7 games he played with only 5 starts, after playing not a single minute all season, is about half that of Moore's.. playing on the worse team in the league.

I don't know what Dike can do, we need to see.. he needs playing time to do that.. though in fairness this is two seasons in a row where he missed more then 2/3s

jloome
08-22-2014, 01:28 PM

I realize junk poacher goals are still goals, but I'm not sure I'd call it a strike rate. More a "knock in a rebound and the odd header" rate.

Albeit one that has benefited us.g:D

Super
08-22-2014, 02:10 PM
I realize junk poacher goals are still goals, but I'm not sure I'd call it a strike rate. More a "knock in a rebound and the odd header" rate.

Luke Moore has been a very pleasant surprise this year. I honestly thought he was going to be a complete bust, but he has quietly worked his way into the team, and has even managed to get some very important goals for us. Assists too. I've never felt this good about our offense, but that's hardly a surprise. Will be good to have Defoe back tomorrow.

Yohan
08-22-2014, 02:10 PM

I'd rather be lucky than good?

OgtheDim
08-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Weideman out with back spasms, according to a few on twitter.

Not that he would have been in the lineup....

jloome
08-22-2014, 06:04 PM
I'd rather be lucky than good?

Right place right time is a skill. I'd like to see him hustle and beat a guy occasionally; that header was a nice punctuation but came after he got massively pissed at Tony Tchani.

JayMolly
08-22-2014, 08:35 PM
The boys are back home. Finally . . .
JD should be playing and we need the points!

OgtheDim
08-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Speculation among the press corps is Defoe does not start but comes on in the second half.

Joe Kool
08-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Beautiful weather...been some time since the boys have been back home...CNE is on...game looks to be sold out with ticket demand real high....positive vibe and excitement around TFC this year....can't wait. Let's go REDS!!!

boozilla
08-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Speculation among the press corps is Defoe does not start but comes on in the second half.
Makes sense. Maybe time to give DeRo get an early run instead of a late sub appearance. Hey, it's probably his last year.

RoyalRed
08-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Pumped to get back to the ground after some time off, but think we will get reffed out of this one. Classic MLS penalty style. Good thing my Chels can be counted on for wins no matter what....

reggie
08-22-2014, 11:36 PM
Beautiful weather...been some time since the boys have been back home...CNE is on...game looks to be sold out with ticket demand real high....positive vibe and excitement around TFC this year....can't wait. Let's go REDS!!!

why are you so happy...didn't you hear the team is going to fold in the next 2 or 3 yrs.:):scarf:

Joe Kool
08-23-2014, 12:01 AM
why are you so happy...didn't you hear the team is going to fold in the next 2 or 3 yrs.:):scarf:

I am still here after all these years and a season seat holder to boot. Obviously it takes alot to get me down.

OgtheDim
08-23-2014, 06:56 AM
I turn 50 today.

Although my enjoyment of this birthday does not depend on the result,

we better not fucking lose.

No pressure boys...none....:scarf:

ensco
08-23-2014, 07:23 AM
I turn 50 today.

Congrats man. Wow.

50 is an achievement.

ManUtd4ever
08-23-2014, 07:49 AM

I don't recall anyone insinuating that the team is going to fold.

As for today's match, we need to start consistently cashing in all 3 points at home against teams like Chicago the rest of the way to maintain our place in the standings.

If Earnshaw plays today, I wouldn't be surprised if he scores against us.

Detroit_TFC
08-23-2014, 08:21 AM
I turn 50 today.

Happy birthday and congrats! My 49th is next week, so I'm almost there me self. I'm optimistic TFC will get you the win tonight.

MightyDM
08-23-2014, 10:35 AM
I turn 50 today.

Sorry Og, but it all starts to hurt from here on in.....

daner90
08-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Let the circus begin. MLS has assigned yet another ref to his first pro match tonight.... This should be entertaining....

19Barrett19
08-23-2014, 12:10 PM
I would love to see a formation change

4-2-2-2

------------------------------Bendik------------------------------------------------
---------------------Caldwell---------Haglund----------------------------------
Bloom------------------------------------------------------------------Morrow
-----------------Bradley-------------------Warner--------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------Oduro----------------------------------------------Gilberto------------
------------------------Moore------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------Defoe----------------------------------

daner90
08-23-2014, 12:28 PM
I don't know in FIFA I play an attacking 4-5-1 and that is dominating and we all know FIFA is real life lol

Yohan
08-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Let the circus begin. MLS has assigned yet another ref to his first pro match tonight.... This should be entertaining....
eh. inexperienced, but not a rookie

http://www.proreferees.com/roster-daniel-fitzgerald.php

notthesun
08-23-2014, 01:44 PM
It would be nice if TFC didn't have to trial test every new MLS ref.

OgtheDim
08-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Hmmm. Beer in the Ex more expensive than beer in BMO.

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 03:07 PM
I turn 50 today.

Happy b-day! I think this is a big game. Looking at the rest of the schedule it's Phily, NE, and CHI in doses... all of these teams happen to be fighting for those last playoff spots as well. We take points in a few of these contests and the playoffs are a lock.

portu
08-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Bendik, Bloom, Caldwell, Hagglund, Morrow, Oduro, Warner, Bradley, Osorio, Defoe and Gilberto

Damn does it feel good to look at a full strength starting XI

mcolvy
08-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Bendik, Bloom, Caldwell, Hagglund, Morrow, Oduro, Warner, Bradley, Osorio, Defoe and Gilberto

which begs the question. with excess cap space, what spot would you like improved. Oso and Warner are the weak links IMO.

ManUtd4ever
08-23-2014, 05:31 PM
which begs the question. with excess cap space, what spot would you like improved. Oso and Warner are the weak links IMO.

Not sure I agree with Warner, he has been very solid for us.

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 05:37 PM

no Henry. interesting. Maybe Nelsen is just giving him some rest against a shit offense.

notthesun
08-23-2014, 05:42 PM
no Henry. interesting. Maybe Nelsen is just giving him some rest against a shit offense.

Henry leads the league in penalties conceded and Amarikwa leads the league in penalties won. Love Henry but until he learns to compose himself in high pressure situations, he'll be passed over in certain games.

portu
08-23-2014, 05:44 PM
I'm replacing Bendik or Hagglund in that lineup no way are Oso and Warner the weakest links

Edit: Ranking the XI
1. Defoe
2. Bradley
3. Gilberto
4. Morrow
5. Caldwell
6. Osorio
7. Bloom
8. Warner
9. Oduro
10. Hagglund
11. Bendik

mcolvy
08-23-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm replacing Bendik or Hagglund in that lineup no way are Oso and Warner the weakest links

1. Defoe
2. Bradley
3. Gilberto
4. Morrow
5. Caldwell
6. Osorio
7. Bloom
8. Warner
9. Oduro
10. Hagglund
11. Bendik

Im not buying another keeper with our excess cap space. Bendik is fine. As for Hagglund, I am fine with him/Henry.
Oduro is not next in line hahahahahahhaha

Heart of Stone
08-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Game is on Sportsnet... finally a game that I can watch on my TV! Unless you give Rogers a gazillion $$ we haven't been able to watch many games this year.

portu
08-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Im not buying another keeper with our excess cap space. Bendik is fine. As for Hagglund, I am fine with him/Henry.

aha tbh the 6-9 spots were tight for me Oduro's only 9th due to consistency still wouldn't replace him though (our wingers are fine atm). In regards to Henry/Hagglund you can't seriously believe that either are ready to be playoff calibre centerbacks atm.

If I have cash to splash I'm bringing in a guy who can step up and be a quality partner for Caldwell who can also replace him when he retires/leaves.

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 06:03 PM

You probably need another veteran, very good CB. That's what I would prioritise going into next season.

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 06:18 PM
No seriously, I know the Ex is on and everything, but it's every single game now. Nobody shows up to their seats on time. it's embarrassing. have you seen KC or Timbers or Sounders games? every single fucking person is in their seat at kick-off. don't tell me it's because of parking. All of those stadiums have monstrously irritating parking. some sort of incentive needs to be handed down by the front office to change this culture.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2014, 06:19 PM
What a start! Love it. Great ball from Osorio. Played it where his teammate should be. Gorgeous.

daner90
That goal was just how they drew it up on the training ground lol

molenshtain
GOAL!!!!

Shakes McQueen

1. Defoe
2. Bradley
3. Gilberto
4. Morrow
5. Caldwell
6. Osorio
7. Bloom
8. Warner
9. Oduro
10. Hagglund
11. Bendik

You honestly think Hagglund is the second weakest link on our team?

Heart of Stone
08-23-2014, 06:22 PM
"Other coaches fear Toronto's speed..."

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 06:24 PM
What a terrible offside call on Oduro. He was on by a good 5 yards.

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 06:27 PM
honestly somoene needs to explain to me how the east stand is always so empty.

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 06:28 PM
at least the boys sound loud as hell tonight.

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 06:35 PM
I sometimes wonder what soccer would look like, if players had no incentive to crumble to the ground at the slightest pretense of contact.

Heart of Stone
08-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Caldwell out for Henry...

molenshtain
Caldwell off. Not good.

Kaz
I'm surprised Nelsen made the substitution at all.

portu
08-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Mark my words this is the beginning of the end of caldwell

Inklink
08-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Defoe checked twice and no flag till he touches it. OK.

v00d00daddy
Best first 20 minutes I've seen us play all year. Love it.

Inklink
Did someone shoot Somare?

portu
08-23-2014, 06:39 PM
You honestly think Hagglund is the second weakest link on our team?

In his defence the rest of the squads pretty strong

Kaz
08-23-2014, 06:40 PM
lol did Earnshaw get a raise last year I didn't know about?

notthesun
08-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Rushing Caldwell back only to injure him again, sigh

Inklink
08-23-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't like Defoe bitching about after every play.

dupont
08-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Rushing Caldwell back only to injure him again, sigh

Yep. I just hope Defoe isn't back too soon as well

Inklink
08-23-2014, 06:44 PM
OMG empty net

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 06:44 PM

Er... Defoe is playing. Right now.

PopePouri
08-23-2014, 06:45 PM

Fucking hell.

dupont
08-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Er... Defoe is playing. Right now.

I know. That's exactly why I said it

Heart of Stone
Caldwell aggravates injury...

notthesun
How has Alex not been cautioned yet

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 06:50 PM
I know. That's exactly why I said it

Ahh okay. My original response was going to be "Not sure if joking...", haha.

At any rate, I don't really see any evidence of Defoe being rushed back. Especially with Gilberto being on fire recently. Caldwell coming back was odd, because there was no real word of his imminent return, then suddenly they announced he was back.

Kaz
08-23-2014, 06:50 PM
That is the second time Bradley has done that... he needs to actually pass the ball to a TFC player.

adam1001
08-23-2014, 06:51 PM
When was the last time Bradley did something useful? Jeez.

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 06:53 PM
That card to Alex was a long time coming.

notthesun
08-23-2014, 06:53 PM
When was the last time Bradley did something useful? Jeez.

Two second assists vs. Montreal two games ago?

Kaz
08-23-2014, 06:54 PM
When was the last time Bradley did something useful? Jeez.For us or Chicago... he's give some nice turn overs for them in our third.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2014, 06:57 PM
That card to Alex was a long time coming.

I was thinking it was harsh and that nobody is complaining about the officiating today. I think we've been lucky not to be given two yellows…..one on Defoe and one on Gilberto.

I'm happy the officiating is still weird in this league…..tonight. HAHAHA

Agree to disagree but I'm happy with the results either way. LOL

Think we're playing well.

Unrelated to officiating my negative self has this question:

If Bradley is going to play so deep and basically act as a full time DM what is the point of Warner out there?

I'd prefer Osorio in the middle with Bradley (Osorio playing very well) and bring on another left sided player.

Gilberto has been great today too. I think this is our best half by a long shot. Keep it up in the second.

Inklink
08-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Damn, some good build up at least.

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 06:59 PM
I don't know what we're asking Bradley to do, but he doesn't look very interested in doing it. I'll tell you what though: Osorio in the hole is playing better this game than anyone else has.

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 07:02 PM
I was thinking it was harsh and that nobody is complaining about the officiating today. I think we've been lucky not to be given two yellows…..one on Defoe and one on Gilberto.

If Bradley is going to play so deep and basically act as a full time DM what is the point of Warner out there?

I'd prefer Osorio in the middle with Bradley (Osorio playing very well) and bring on another left sided player.

Gilberto has been great today too. I think this is our best half by a long shot. Keep it up in the second.

I think the foul Alex got carded for was a bit dodgy, but I thought he deserved a card based on earlier plays he got away with.

Team looks good, though it looks like we are playing a rec league team or something. We still seem to fall apart when it comes to those last 1-2 passes for a good look on goal. Guys either too pensive, or if you're Oduro, too happy to shoot regardless of how lousy of a chance it is.

Everything else has looked pretty good. The odd terrible pass or giveaway here and there, but honestly, I almost just consider it a feature of MLS soccer at this point.

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 07:03 PM
I don't know what we're asking Bradley to do, but he doesn't look very interested in doing it. I'll tell you what though: Osorio in the hole is playing better this game than anyone else has.

Bradley connects the defence and midfield. Something we really lack when he's not there.

Heart of Stone
08-23-2014, 07:04 PM
It would be great to get our tenth win... the first time we've won ten games since Chris Cummins was coaching and we missed the playoffs by just a few points.

notthesun
08-23-2014, 07:05 PM

Bradley pushes up once we enter the final third, so does Osorio. Warner hangs back a bit more. Playing both Osorio and Bradley in the middle runs the risk of being counter-attacked when they both push up and we lose possession (see Dempsey goal in season opener).

I quite like Osorio on the wing because he drifts inside and offers something different than Oduro and Jackson who just bomb down the side with more speed than intent.

Kaz
08-23-2014, 07:05 PM

There was a point where on the outside there was three Chicago bodies, and no red shirts there. Bradley was far back, and it was a turn over.

Then you have bradley passing the ball to chicago a few times in the half. You are left wondering why he is there... honestly I'd rather Dero in a AM role even if he isn't scoring he can float a bit

Or put Moore on a wing and osorio in a floating AM role.

All I can hope is that he will be left open and New York or Orlando will take him in the expansion draft.

portu
08-23-2014, 07:06 PM
loving the way we're playing right now just need to test johnson a little more

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 07:09 PM
I think the foul Alex got carded for was a bit dodgy, but I thought he deserved a card based on earlier plays he got away with.

Team looks good, though it looks like we are playing a rec league team or something. We still seem to fall apart when it comes to those last 1-2 passes for a good look on goal. Guys either too pensive, or if you're Oduro, too happy to shoot regardless of how lousy of a chance it is.

Everything else has looked pretty good. The odd terrible pass or giveaway here and there, but honestly, I almost just consider it a feature of MLS soccer at this point.
He deserved it for persistent infringement. Must have been his 3rd or 4th foul in the span of 20 minutes.

Chicago is awful. I'm surprised people still want to give a head coaching position the likes of Frank Yallop, Frank Klopas, etc... Most of these guys have been chased from the league because they play terrible football and are generally ineffective. They're playing checkers while the other coaches are playing chess.

Agreed it's been a good half but Oduro's inability to read the game can just drive you nuts at times.

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Bradley connects the defence and midfield. Something we really lack when he's not there.
Warner does that as well. Osorio also drops back for the ball frequently.

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Jesus christ, seriously can we stop with the "we're better without Bradley" shit? it's infuriating. and it's flat out wrong. De Ro? really? De Ro has been horse shit (no disrespect to you if you're reading this, you're a saint) when he's played this season. he's 36 or however old now. If you need a more obvious example of what Bradley and Warner are supposed to be, imagine Bradley as Carrick and Warner as Darren Fletcher circa 2010-11.

Inklink
08-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Agreed. We absolutely need Bradley and his tireless box to box play. He's dropping even lower than the CB sometimes.

That said, he's had a few poor touches which I don't expect from a player at his level, and they are frustrating.

Inklink
08-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Like champs. Well done RPB!

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Jesus christ, seriously can we stop with the "we're better without Bradley" shit? it's infuriating. and it's flat out wrong. De Ro? really? De Ro has been horse shit (no disrespect to you if you're reading this, you're a saint) when he's played this season. he's 36 or however old now. If you need a more obvious example of what Bradley and Warner are supposed to be, imagine Bradley as Carrick and Warner as Darren Fletcher circa 2010-11.
I don't know if that's directed at me but no such thing was said. There's a difference between getting more out of a player and not wanting him on the team.

If you're going to call people out feel free to quote it rather than talk in generalities

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Saying you'd rather have a 36 year old DeRo in there over an in-his-prime Bradley, one of those statements where the only way to win, is not to play. You can argue that Bradley is being misused, or having an off-day or something, but benching him for DeRo?

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 07:21 PM
I don't know if that's directed at me but no such thing was said. There's a difference between getting more out of a player and not wanting him on the team.

If you're going to call people out feel free to quote it rather than talk in generalities

Agreed, but I also know what he was referring to, and it wasn't anything you said.

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 07:23 PM
What was that call all about?

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 07:23 PM

Apologies. It wasn't anything you said. I was seeing red is all. I do agree that we haven't exactly seen the most out of him due to our tactics. But he's still our best and most important player.

notthesun
08-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Oh my god what a joke call. Chicago player was interfering with Morrow all the way down the field and the ref calls it on us, lol

v00d00daddy
08-23-2014, 07:24 PM
What was that call all about?

No clue. So weird.

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Morrow down with a hammy.....

ag futbol
Apologies. It wasn't anything you said. I was seeing red is all. I do agree that we haven't exactly seen the most out of him due to our tactics. But he's still our best and most important player.
No worries. I'm sure we've all raised our blood pressure reading this forum, lol.

Back to the game: think we could use a second goal.

Kaz
bugger

portu
08-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Fuck fuck fuck

Kaz
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not jackson.

molenshtain
But hey! now we get to see Jackson at RB again!

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 07:28 PM
We're going to put Jackson back there again? ohh man

notthesun
The one fucking game Morgan isn't on the bench. ugh

v00d00daddy
Fuck. And there we have it.

Morrow injured...no lb on the bench and now a scary move to have to bring in Jackson. I hope he plays well.

Speaking of...anyone know why Morgan and dero aren't even on the bench today?

portu
08-23-2014, 07:29 PM
ref has decided to fuck us over now

v00d00daddy
08-23-2014, 07:31 PM
See? Now we don't like the calls and it's diving? Haha

When oduro almost kicks himself in the head every time he's fouled nobody mentions how he sells calls. Hahaha

MLS officiating is bad. Live with it. Sometimes it hurts us and sometimes it helps us.

Shakes McQueen
Perfectly defended free kick there.

molenshtain
Fuck. And there we have it.

Morrow injured...no lb on the bench and now a scary move to have to bring in Jackson. I hope he plays well.

Speaking of...anyone know why Morgan and dero aren't even on the bench today?

presumably because they're a bit shite. I doubt Nelsen would put it in those words though.

portu
now bendik

notthesun
08-23-2014, 07:33 PM
I guess now we get to find out if Morgan is in fact second in line at LB going forward. Not really something I wanted to have a chance to confirm.

daner90
08-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Starting to feel way too much like another game where we need to find goal number 2 soon or something bad is going to happen....

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Starting to feel way too much like another game where we need to find goal number 2 soon or something bad is going to happen....

Don't really feel that threatened by Chicago, but I'm getting really irritated at how uninterested we look in scoring another goal. We are missing two defenders, and one bad mistake from giving up two or three points. We need to press for two.

portu
08-23-2014, 07:36 PM
defoe has been next to useless for us

AdamAM
08-23-2014, 07:37 PM
See? Now we don't like the calls and it's diving? Haha

When oduro almost kicks himself in the head every time he's fouled nobody mentions how he sells calls. Hahaha

MLS officiating is bad. Live with it. Sometimes it hurts us and sometimes it helps us.

Are you going to bring this up in every game thread now? We understood that you're the only perfect unbiased fan here the last 10 times you posted something along the lines of this.

AdamAM
08-23-2014, 07:39 PM
We need a dedicated attacking mid to feed Defoe and Gilberto on the ground

notthesun
08-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Defoe's touch has been a little off today. A lot of wacky on the edge of control dribbles, he's not getting the ball to settle.

AdamAM
08-23-2014, 07:41 PM
We're cursed

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 07:41 PM
That's really shitty. They aren't outplaying us or a great team, we just didn't show any interest in taking the game to them.

notthesun
08-23-2014, 07:42 PM
You've gotta be fucking kidding me.

Kaz
Hey we just screwed around our entire back line so lets sit back and dare them to take advantage.

This is the issue with Nelsen.. just play high put pressure and you will beat us.

portu
Holy fuck this is frustrating

daner90
Gotta stop letting teams hang around. Been doing this all year

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 07:44 PM
People were mentioning Defoe. I don't think he's doing too much wrong, it's simply a case of a forward who relies on service not getting the ball where he wants because 1) Chicago has focused on him all game 2) we haven't found him in the good spots. He's not a playmaker like Keane, he's just a pure goal scorer who needs the ball in the right spot. You definitely notice that when he gets anxious coming back to pick up the ball. He goes from looking like the player we paid $10M dollars for to something lesser.

Soccerpro
08-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Have TFC even had a shot in the 2nd half? Did Nelson tell his team to give up at half time?

molenshtain
So frustrating that we seem to regularly play up to good competition and play so badly against shit teams like Chicago.

v00d00daddy
Are you going to bring this up in every game thread now? We understood that you're the only perfect unbiased fan here the last 10 times you posted something along the lines of this.

I'll bring it up whenever people make claims about officiating. Lol

Shakes McQueen
That's really shitty. They aren't outplaying us or a great team, we just didn't show any interest in taking the game to them.

Yep. I'd love to know if this is a conscious strategic thing, or if our team just mentally backs off as soon as they have any lead.

If it's a strategic thing, I wonder if Nelsen is ever going to learn the lesson. Stop letting teams hang around, and stop going into these pitiful defensive shells when we've got one goal leads.

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Man oh man Bradley looks really casual out there today .

jloome
08-23-2014, 07:46 PM
defoe has been next to useless for us

He needs space; relies on his first gear and touch to get by the last guy or his marker, but whenever he's near the ball Chicago is triple-teaming him.

We just haven't created much. We seem, again, to lack offensive ideas.

jloome
08-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Man oh man Bradley looks really casual out there today .

He's made a couple of casual mistakes, but he's been playing as a defensive sweeper basically, last midfielder up the pitch. He's played pretty well.

Alonso
08-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Looks like Moore is coming on

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 07:49 PM
He needs space; relies on his first gear and touch to get by the last guy or his marker, but whenever he's near the ball Chicago is triple-teaming him.

We just haven't created much. We seem, again, to lack offensive ideas.

Our ability to get him the ball today has been non-existent. If we can't get him the ball, then he can't be useful. As soon as we get within 20yds of goal, we start making all of these bizarre, cute little passes until someone inevitably messes up and gives the ball away.

notthesun
Why not Dike instead of Moore?

Shakes McQueen
Gilbertooooooooo

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Well, I think he has his confidence back.

I'm going to say I was wrong on Luke Moore. He's not the greatest player but he seems to do well enough in that role for this team.

pdubs
gilberto our hero

v00d00daddy
Totally fitting.

We deserve to be up a goal. We've been the better team tonight.

Alonso
08-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Gilllbertoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaz
Thanks the Gods for Gilberto.

notthesun
GOALBERTO!!

He learned from the SKC breakaway clearly. With pace like that he should go around the keeper every time.

Alonso
Moore with an assist!

portu
Whatta lad

molenshtain
I love him.

jloome
08-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Gilbertooooooooo

MLS live is on about a two-minute delay or something, so I saw this and my first thought was "what about Gilberto?"

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Glad our lead is restored, but kind of sad that we needed a huge deflection that caught Chicago's entire backline off guard to finally get it.

On the plus side, Chicago seem completely out of sorts now. Hopefully we can put this one away.

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 07:54 PM
MLS live is on about a two-minute delay or something, so I saw this and my first thought was "what about Gilberto?"

It would have been funny if during the delay you responded with "yeah, Gilberto hasn't had a very good day today" or something, haha.

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Amazing how much better we look when we play like we actually want to score again.

Alonso
08-23-2014, 07:58 PM
GOALBERTO!!

He learned from the SKC breakaway clearly. With pace like that he should go around the keeper every time.

Yeah exactly. He made the play he should have made in KC with the break away... let the flood gates continue!

speckles
08-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Mid-season Big G has been a little more than helpful for this team....

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Not this shit again

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 08:00 PM
mass suicide. now.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Fuck!

portu
right back coverage right there

Shakes McQueen
This game man. What a mess.

Kaz
08-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Fuck.. I saw it coming.. they were playing sloppy... and falling back.. it happens every time.. this team has do desire to bury a lead.

I called it 2-2 tie.

you can't sit back with Chicago. they are a good team they just can't push hard enough for the wins.

What a waste.

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 08:04 PM
This team just lacks discipline when playing with the lead. We should have been using the space to keep more of the ball, instead we kept lazily counter attacking when the opportunities weren't there and we kept getting pushed back further defensively.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Dunleavey and his buddy sound like supporters and not commentators.

And it's obvious that they read this board based on what they've said tonight. Lol

I prefer pros. They don't sound professional at all. Lol

Where is them complaining about Henry pushing a guy there? No talk eh dunleavey? Hahaha

pdubs
08-23-2014, 08:06 PM
why does henry always have to shove. always. why can't he get up and just lean into the guy and make the other guy shove him.

lucky he didn't get a card.

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 08:07 PM
We lost two defenders to injuries tonight, Henry. Maybe don't get in dumb shoving matches.

flatpicker

And it's obvious that they read this board based on what they've said tonight. Lol

Where is them complaining about Henry pushing a guy there? No talk eh dunleavey? Hahaha

Trust me, they aren't as bad as many U.S. commentators I've heard.

molenshtain
Well I said 5 wins 1 draw 1 loss over the next seven. I hope this is the one draw.

notthesun
08-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Talk about fucking dropped points.

Why do we stop trying when we have a lead? Good teams score again. Chicago played fucking awful today. Fucking awful. Seattle, RSL, SKC would have embarrassed them tonight.

Ugh. I'm gonna be sick. And another Gilberto game winner wasted.

Alonso
08-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Now that the game is over: fucking Earnshaw!

TFC curse continues! 4 minutes his game and he scores, then Amerikwa seals the curse. Peterson with KC, we have so many former players that I guess it's inevitable...

jloome
08-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Two lost points. I hate to say it, but this one is on the wrong bench. We can't play Jackson at fullback, he's just not a good enough defender at this level. If Morgan's at least on the bench maybe we get three out of this one.

He had a tough year last year but he was MLS-ready the season before that, so the potential is there (at least as a backup).

20-20 hindsight of course, and I suppose he wanted the right-side cover because Bloom was coming off injury. But Jackson is just a woeful man-marker. Good speed, good at makign space, even decent tackling on the run most of the time; but his man-marking is awful.

jloome
08-23-2014, 08:11 PM

Where was your complaint about the guy pushing him first, during the play? He won the ball cleanly, was shoved, and lost the call.

EDIT: And as someone who watches a lot of other MLS games, our commentators are, far and away, the most neutral in the league. The only guy who comes close is Glenn Davis in Houston.

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Talk about fucking dropped points.

Why do we stop trying when we have a lead? Good teams score again. Chicago played fucking awful today. Fucking awful. Seattle, RSL, SKC would have embarrassed them tonight.

Ugh. I'm gonna be sick. And another Gilberto game winner wasted.

They don't stop trying - they just become super-conservative after going ahead, seem terrified of having any defensive lapses, and rely on counter-attacks for 100% of their offensive output. Which of course, leads to them eventually getting picked apart, even if they play solid turtle defense for 15-20-25 minutes.

They actually confidently attacked for a few minutes after Gilberto scored, and suddenly weren't on their heels any more... then slipped back into the same habits again.

portu
08-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Holy shit again and again and again

If caldwell's out even longer and morrow pulled a hammy and Nelsen still refuses to use our "extra cap space" to improve our backline then he's oblivious to our problems at the back. Without improvement our backline looks like this for the next few weeks: Bloom, Henry, Hagglund, Morgan/Jackson

adam1001
08-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Haven't been this pissed about a game in a while. Defoe spent 60 minutes either standing around or bitching at someone. The best thing Bradley did all game was pass the ball back to Bendik. What a showing from our top guns. Gilberto worked his ass off, and Oso played well too, so credit to them. The rest of the team was a fucking mess.

Edit: Just looked at the other scores from tonight. If anyone thinks playoffs are in the bag, we may be having a rude awakening. Seriously need to step it up at home.

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Is anyone else still watching Sportsnet? what the fuck is Fat Ronaldo doing hanging out with Daniel Negraneau and Rafael Nadal. This is deeply weird and it makes me feel uncomfortable.

And Shevchenko!!! seriously what is this.

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't point the figure at anybody individually tonight as much as the team's collective mentality when it comes to playing with the lead. It's the bigger issue that leads to the individual mistakes you see whenever we let one in.

reggie
08-23-2014, 08:21 PM
can t wait for RN bag of quotes tonight..

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 08:25 PM
SKC being ripped the fuck apart by D.C. at home right now. It's really embarrasing.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Where was your complaint about the guy pushing him first, during the play? He won the ball cleanly, was shoved, and lost the call.

EDIT: And as someone who watches a lot of other MLS games, our commentators are, far and away, the most neutral in the league. The only guy who comes close is Glenn Davis in Houston.

I'm not talking about the Henry foul and whether it was justified. I'm talking about the lack of call from our commentators.

As for the rest of MLS commentating being worse….that doesn't mean ours is good. Ours are better than horribly biased ones doesn't mean that it makes ours good.

reggie
08-23-2014, 08:30 PM
not bad for a 4 mil team unlike our 18mil 500 club.that are giving goals left and right,thats coaching..

Detroit_TFC
08-23-2014, 08:32 PM
My match analysis right now:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKK

jloome
08-23-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm not talking about the Henry foul and whether it was justified. I'm talking about the lack of call from our commentators.

As for the rest of MLS commentating being worse….that doesn't mean ours is good. Ours are better than horribly biased ones doesn't mean that it makes ours good.

Par for the course these days dude. No one plays it straight anymore in North America.

nonc
08-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Defoe's refusal to pass to Gilberto on a number of occasions was a bit ugghhhhh. It may not be his game but still, sometimes you just gotta do the right thing and give it up. A deserving result, Nelsen couldn't expose a Residency team if given the chance, they are that bad in advanced positions.

OgtheDim
08-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Need better defence when our side midfielders don't track back.
That and Chicago is organised.

Without Morrow and Caldwell, we are not good enough at the back.

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Par for the course these days dude. No one plays it straight anymore in North America.
Not necessarily true. NFL has an army of league wide commentators that opine on whatever they want, NBA has a few as well. MLS guys are embarrassingly homerish. Even the ESPN broadcasts not tied to any specific team, they cheerlead for the league waayyy too much. On the officiating problems earlier this year everyone just downed their kool-aid, grinned, and said everything was great!

I look forward to the day when they feel like they can actually trot out an impartial and competent set of broadcasters. It looks a lot better on your product when someone's not trying to snow you on every turn.

jloome
08-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Need better defence when our side midfielders don't track back.
That and Chicago is organised.

Without Morrow and Caldwell, we are not good enough at the back.

We controlled the first half. If we'd put more than one away and created some chances, it wouldn't have been as much of an issue, and CHicago wouldn't have felt they could get back into it with one goal.

We're organized now and our m ovement is better; but offensively, we're sort of a joke. We had TWO shots on target tonight, and only one of them scored. THat's despite the fact that with five minutes left in the first half we'd had 65% of the ball and won literally twice as many duels.

This got away from us because our bench was short on the left side, and we still aren't creating any cohesive offence around their box. We move, we dink, we move, we dink. THe problem is that no one on the defensive side of the ball is being pulled out of position to create space for our guys in the box.

molenshtain
08-23-2014, 09:19 PM
as anyone who's read my posts would know, I'm very much in the "give Nelsen time, he's got his strengths" camp. But at some point you really have to wonder why we don't just move to a 4-3-3/ 4-2-3-1 given the players Nelsen has found his formula with. I think a serious part of our problem ATM is our midfield penetration, and a lot of that has to do with the over-complication of having Osorio come in from the left and force Osorio, Warner and Bradley to negotiate which of them goes forward and who stays back, which just really does not work when we're being pressured and they don't have time to take a while and make the right decision. And from what I can tell, Nelsen, to make up for Osorio's absence on the left side of the pitch, then tells Gilberto to mark the opposing right back. We saw it against SKC, we saw it in patches tonight.

Why not just go with either:

------Bendik-----
Bloom-----Caldwell -----Hagglund/Henry------Morrow
---------Warner-------Bradley--------------------
Oduro/Jackson-------Osorio--------------Gilberto
----------------Defoe/Moore/Dike-------------

Or

------------------Bendik-------------------------
Bloom-------Caldwell-------Hagglund/Henry--Morrow
------------------Warner------------------------
--------------Bradley-------Osorio---------------
Oduro/Jackson------------------------Gilberto---
------------------Defoe/Moore/Dike-------------

It just seems like we have obvious flaws and Nelsen doesn't want to do anything about it. Even try to do anything about it. This was a perfect game to use an extra man in midfield and create penetration from deep. but we didn't, and fuck me was it frustrating.

Areathrasher
08-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Man our home form is fucking shocking.

Regardless, we still have a good run coming up, I think by the Portland game in Sept we will know where we stand.

jloome
08-23-2014, 09:41 PM
as anyone who's read my posts would know, I'm very much in the "give Nelsen time, he's got his strengths" camp. But at some point you really have to wonder why we don't just move to a 4-3-3/ 4-2-3-1 given the players Nelsen has found his formula with. I think a serious part of our problem ATM is our midfield penetration, and a lot of that has to do with the over-complication of having Osorio come in from the left and force Osorio, Warner and Bradley to negotiate which of them goes forward and who stays back, which just really does not work when we're being pressured and they don't have time to take a while and make the right decision. And from what I can tell, Nelsen, to make up for Osorio's absence on the left side of the pitch, then tells Gilberto to mark the opposing right back. We saw it against SKC, we saw it in patches tonight.

------Bendik-----

Or

It just seems like we have obvious flaws and Nelsen doesn't want to do anything about it. Even try to do anything about it. This was a perfect game to use an extra man in midfield and create penetration from deep. but we didn't, and fuck me was it frustrating.

Good points. THere were a couple of occasions where Osorio was caught tucked in, and we were effectively playing a 4-1-3-2, and it did make me wonder why we don't just play three centrally. What's the point of putting him out wide if he NEVER stays there? He's obviously our best playmaker, and I think you're right, it leads to all sorts of weird cover switches to try and play a fluid three-man center with one starting wide.

OgtheDim
08-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Gilberto = beast

That goal was amazing considering he tripped when he started his run.

ensco
08-23-2014, 09:54 PM
New England game is suddenly critical.

billyfly
08-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Same old same old.

redisthenewblk
08-23-2014, 10:09 PM
A tie that felt like a loss. Very frustrating to see more injuries on the back line, and the boys sit back in the second half.

I'm in the give Nellie some time camp, but the late subs are driving me nuts. Moore came on and changed the energy. Why not bring him in earlier to shake things up when our boys were clearly lagging and Defoe was being incredibly ineffective.

Osorio was tremendous today. He was more lively and a bit tougher than he has been of late, and one of the few midfielders that can provide chances to our attacking players on the ground. He's also unlucky not to have a goal.

Anyone have any ideas as to why our home form has been poor all season? I wonder if it's disheartening to see the seats empty until 20 or so minutes into the games. There are a dedicated few sections that are on time, but it's kind of embarrassing that so many of our fans are so nonchalant.

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 10:22 PM

------Bendik-----

Or

I don't disagree, but Gilberto is absolutely thriving in that CF style role, particularly when it's him and Moore up top and he doesn't have to share service with Defoe. I'd hate to pull him out wide if we didn't have to.

I think we should play more like we did last year where we explicitly brought the wingers waaay inside to play behind the forwards. So rather than drift in they'll already be there. A lot of teams who play 4-4-2 these days play that sort of variation.

----------FW------FW-----------
-----LW---------------RW------
----------CM----CM------------
LB-------CB------CB--------RB

ensco
08-23-2014, 10:24 PM
To be fair, both Fire goals were real quality. Think people (including Nelsen) are not giving Amerikwa especially credit for the degree of difficulty there.

billyfly
08-23-2014, 10:26 PM
To be fair, both Fire goals were real quality. Think people (including Nelsen) are not giving Amerikwa especially credit for the degree of difficulty there.

The 2nd goal was top corner. Good skill.

ag futbol
08-23-2014, 10:28 PM
This got away from us because our bench was short on the left side, and we still aren't creating any cohesive offence around their box. We move, we dink, we move, we dink. THe problem is that no one on the defensive side of the ball is being pulled out of position to create space for our guys in the box.
We have a lot of guys on this team who simply won't make those runs or understand why they need to make them. Oduro would be the easy one to pick on, but there are others as well. What we've defined as important in certain positions doesn't particularly lend itself to this sort of thing.

But I don't want to harp too much. Lot of good moments in this game and Gilberto was brilliant for the entire game.

greatwhitenorf
08-23-2014, 10:38 PM
A tie that felt like a loss. Very frustrating to see more injuries on the back line, and the boys sit back in the second half.

I'm in the give Nellie some time camp, but the late subs are driving me nuts. Moore came on and changed the energy. Why not bring him in earlier to shake things up when our boys were clearly lagging and Defoe was being incredibly ineffective.

Osorio was tremendous today. He was more lively and a bit tougher than he has been of late, and one of the few midfielders that can provide chances to our attacking players on the ground. He's also unlucky not to have a goal.

Anyone have any ideas as to why our home form has been poor all season? I wonder if it's disheartening to see the seats empty until 20 or so minutes into the games. There are a dedicated few sections that are on time, but it's kind of embarrassing that so many of our fans are so nonchalant.

Really enjoyed his play today. Some lovely passing, incl. the great ball for Morrow on our first goal. But off the ball, he shows a lot of smarts. About half an hour in, I just focused on his movement and reading of the game. Several times, he put himself in good positions to take away passing options for Chicago, then made a good sprint to close off a developing option for an attack on the wing. Never highlight reel material, but the stuff good players do and coaches love.

On the other hand, there were a few occasions when Osorio was the best option to pass to and players went into 'Give It To Bradley' default mode. Even Bradley missed a couple of good moments to pass when Osorio was the best option.

greatwhitenorf
08-23-2014, 10:40 PM
We have a lot of guys on this team who simply won't make those runs or understand why they need to make them. Oduro would be the easy one to pick on, but there are others as well. What we've defined as important in certain positions doesn't particularly lend itself to this sort of thing.

But I don't want to harp too much. Lot of good moments in this game and Gilberto was brilliant for the entire game.

Haven't seen every minute of every game, but the best I've seen him play. Important, too, because Defoe clearly wasn't in good form.

__wowza
08-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Gilberto = beast

That goal was amazing considering he tripped when he started his run.

let's not forget luke moore's reaction on receiving the ball, and then getting it out while being tripped as well!

Hamilton_Red
08-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Would have been better to bring Defoe on as a sub ..if required.

Sickening to lose the win to two ex-TFC playe goals...this was a team that lost to Montreal and 6-0 to Seattle. That result was a huge blow IMO.

Hamilton_Red
08-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Now that the game is over: fucking Earnshaw!

TFC curse continues! 4 minutes his game and he scores, then Amerikwa seals the curse. Peterson with KC, we have so many former players that I guess it's inevitable...

Half the league has played for TFC at some point.

Yohan
08-24-2014, 12:59 AM
Losing Caldwell was a big loss. Nobody in the back 4, esp Henry and Hagglund do good enough job of organizing the defence. They are just kids though. And with Morrow also down, we're back to leaky defence again.

And 2 ex TFC players scoring against us. While it wasn't as bad as watching Dan freaking Gargan score on TFC but I think I'd rather have an angry cat shoved up my ass. TFC was being too cute with the ball against Chicago who was clearly bunkering more or less, and Mike Magee wasn't playing. 2 points lost.

At least Golberto is on a roll. One of hottest player in MLS right now.

New England won their game today. Next game isn't going to be easy either, considering how streaky NE is and they are gaining momentum.

Marc"2L"
08-24-2014, 01:18 AM
So, looking at the standings.....

The possibility of missing the playoffs is slowly starting to creep into view.

What then? Not saying it will happen, but, 6th place has 30 points (games in hand don't count for much these days),3 back of us.

Cashcleaner
08-24-2014, 02:31 AM
Had a pretty good night at BMO, but that final score does piss me off a bit. I really thought we should have been able to hang in against a team like Chicago, but apparently closing out the game still isn't all that high on Nelsen's list of priorities.

Moore and Osorio both had good games, but the man of the match obviously goes to a deserving Gilberto. I'll glad eat crow now over previous criticisms of his output on the pitch, because he's getting progressively better as each game passes - in pretty much all respects, too. The man was all over the pitch tonight.

v00d00daddy
08-24-2014, 06:56 AM

I agree. I didn't wanna mention it on our first goal but that was a perfect example of people not understanding the runs they can and should make.

We scored off of an own goal for it which was awesome but I'm think Osorio played the ball the way he did (inside the Chicago defender) to lead morrow in to the box.

Morrow ran it as usual, expecting the ball to him for a cross.

It worked out well but it shows that some players just aren't drawn to running in to space. It's not how they've learned the game enough or something.

Osorios pass was instinct. We have a a few guys who share that instinct but just not enough.

T-boy
08-24-2014, 08:15 AM

I thought Nelson was right to hold off the last sub, we had already lost 2 players relivitely early due to injuries, you can't then put all your eggs in one basket for another sub. especially when you have two other players out there (Defoe and Bloom) who haven't played in a month and always have the possibility of needing to be subbed.

ManUtd4ever
08-24-2014, 08:28 AM
We should have put this game away, but fell asleep in the second half until Moore came on as a sub. Even after Gilberto's late beautiful goal we continued to let them come at us.

We have dropped far too many points at home this season against teams below us in the standings. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.

Redcoe15
08-24-2014, 08:46 AM
This team played awesome in the first half, then dug it's heels in the second half and allowed a bad Chicago team to score two goals and steal a couple of points away. If it wasn't for Gilberto's amazing goal, it would have been a loss for our side, who really should have handled the Fire easily at home. Now with Caldwell and Moore out for who knows how long, missing the playoffs is not out of the realm.

redisthenewblk
08-24-2014, 10:12 AM
I thought Nelson was right to hold off the last sub, we had already lost 2 players relivitely early due to injuries, you can't then put all your eggs in one basket for another sub. especially when you have two other players out there (Defoe and Bloom) who haven't played in a month and always have the possibility of needing to be subbed.

It was definitely a drag that we had to make two early defensive subs and I see your point about wait and see. It's was really painful to watch about 20 minutes of passionless play from the guys after the half. I would've brought Moore on 5 or 10 minutes earlier. I think he was right to take Defoe off. Ultimately it was the lazy defending on Chicago's second goal that did us in.

Pint
08-24-2014, 10:28 AM
After both goals yesterday we had the opportunity to take on another quickly but we failed to do so. We need to start stepping on teams throats when given the opportunity, yesterday was there for the taking but it just doesn't seam like we have that mind set yet.

I hope it starts to develop soon because we are dangerously close to being out of a playoff spot.

MightyDM
08-24-2014, 10:47 AM
After both goals yesterday we had the opportunity to take on another quickly but we failed to do so. We need to start stepping on teams throats when given the opportunity, yesterday was there for the taking but it just doesn't seam like we have that mind set yet.

That's what I saw too, and it has been present often this season. We get up on a team, usually by scoring but sometimes even by dominating play, and then seem to take for granted we are going to win. it is almost like we are over confident. Nelsen alluded to this in his post match comments. Its baffling because we are not good enough to assume that we will win just because we are ahead. Several recent games were like this - yesterday, you could feel it after about 30 minutes and again, almost immediately after Gilberto's goal.

reggie
08-24-2014, 01:02 PM
its because our coach is a hack,and the guy beside him is another hack(3rd div college coach who the players hate)25 games in and this team still cant gel,the same stupid d mistakes for 2 yrs now,thats on coaching.

Oldtimer
08-24-2014, 01:08 PM
its because our coach is a hack,and the gyuy beside him is another hack(3rd div college coach who the players hate)25 games in and this team still cant gel,the same stupid d mistakes for 2 yrs now,thats on coaching.
He's got some experience now and is improving. He's no worse than the average MLS coach.

reggie
08-24-2014, 01:17 PM
him being a ex CB they should at least better on d,the same mistakes all the time,they hv 2 or 3 import slots open,they should at least try to bring in a vet in,bad cap management.

Gilberto9
08-24-2014, 02:31 PM
its because our coach is a hack,and the guy beside him is another hack(3rd div college coach who the players hate)25 games in and this team still cant gel,the same stupid d mistakes for 2 yrs now,thats on coaching.

Lol, the players actually hate him? Before the Union home game I'm attending a TFC coaching clinic run by the "TFC Coaching Staff", but not sure who will be included in this clinic since it's just 2 hours before the match.

OgtheDim
08-24-2014, 02:51 PM
i...25 games in and this team still cant gel......

If you think gelling together takes anything less then a full season together, well.......

nonc
08-24-2014, 05:00 PM
I am very amused by our defensive specialist head coach who probably has the worst clean sheet conversion rate over the last two years, not to mention pathetic isolated incidents like last night, completely folding at home to the most hopeless attacking team in the league.

edit:tbh I actually think Nelsen has this team working very well in the middle of the field, they are just so bad 30 yards from either goal.

reggie
08-24-2014, 05:31 PM
If you think gelling together takes anything less then a full season together, well.......
DC are doing jus well thank you,with a big turnover on the roster and 1/3 of the cap.

molenshtain
08-24-2014, 06:10 PM
I am very amused by our defensive specialist head coach who probably has the worst clean sheet conversion rate over the last two years, not to mention pathetic isolated incidents like last night, completely folding at home to the most hopeless attacking team in the league.

edit:tbh I actually think Nelsen has this team working very well in the middle of the field, they are just so bad 30 yards from either goal.\

Perspective: we need 1(!) goal over our next two games to be equal to SKC's amount of goals. A team that everyone thinks is so much obviously more evolved and cultured and attacking minded. we're a pretty good, consistent attacking team. our problem ATM is definitely lapses in defence and concentration.

Also, if we can win our 2 games at hand on SKC, we'll be just 3 points back of them.

molenshtain
08-24-2014, 06:33 PM
DC are doing jus well thank you,with a big turnover on the roster and 1/3 of the cap.

With our squad and cap structure compared to theirs I 100% guarantee we'll have a better record then them for the following three seasons at least.

mcolvy
08-24-2014, 06:42 PM
With our squad and cap structure compared to theirs I 100% guarantee we'll have a better record then them for the following three seasons at least.

Im not going to lie. On paper that team does not preform how they are. Olsen is a stud.

ag futbol
08-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Im not going to lie. On paper that team does not preform how they are. Olsen is a stud.
I don't know about that, it's a pretty good roster. Provided they have the contract flexibility to move on the old guys, they have a much better domestic core than we do.