PDA

View Full Version : Budesliga's attitude for ticket prices a lesson for TFC ownership?

ComedyOfErrors
08-15-2014, 10:04 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/13/bundesliga-premier-league-germany-ticket-prices

Interesting article about a philosophy of approaching ticket costs. Although the references are a comparison to EPL SSH costs, I submit that we are soon to face a similar issue of ticket costs for next season's renewal. I like the Bundesliga on viewing football as an element of society that is affordable and responsive to supporters. Any chance that attitude could prevail here?

Fort York Redcoat
08-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Over the next 70 years, sure.

Germany's sport landscape is busier than most in Europe but the market is entirely different than ours.

NA sports are marketed as events more than an investment into a season.

Slick
08-15-2014, 10:27 AM
0 chance this will happen here. You're talking about MLSE.

It's a given that we're going to get gouged this year for season renewals.

ag futbol
08-15-2014, 10:33 AM
NA sports are marketed as events more than an investment into a season.
This is a part of the problem when it comes to newer teams. Owners look at look at established franchises / brands and try to model newly created franchises after them. There is no fan attachment to backstop large increases in prices that older clubs can sustain.

Building goodwill has to start somewhere. If they ever want a mass audience (and tv ratings to match) they need to expose more people to the product and make it inclusive. If you price people out before they can even get interested you'll limit the audience.

Phil
08-15-2014, 10:57 AM
I love the concept and support it, however I don't think MLSE or the MLS view things on this level. Its really a shame given how many contraints there are on the salary cap from a league perspective.

Fort York Redcoat
08-15-2014, 12:16 PM
This is a part of the problem when it comes to newer teams. Owners look at look at established franchises / brands and try to model newly created franchises after them. There is no fan attachment to backstop large increases in prices that older clubs can sustain.

Building goodwill has to start somewhere. If they ever want a mass audience (and tv ratings to match) they need to expose more people to the product and make it inclusive. If you price people out before they can even get interested you'll limit the audience.

It's in every intro unveiling of a NA sports franchise that touts joining a marketable, attractive league. As if, like single entity, every fanbase just loves a league and happens to have a team nearby that they can watch.

Our example is proof the opposite is true.

So many supporters follow Toronto that, in their opinion, unfortunately plays in this American League of Saccer. I admit I was one.

james
08-15-2014, 01:01 PM
I think in many ways Bundesliga is the best league in the world. They have affordable tickets vs good talent on the field. Tickets are descent (unlike many EPL prices) but yet the talent on the field is still one of the best in the world. The league has one of the best atmospheres in the world, you can go to any game in Bundesliga, and even to 2nd, 3rd and 4th division games and still have well organized Ultras, and supported in big numbers (unlike EPL, not all games have good atmosphere anymore, and across Europe many leagues only have a few clubs that can really draw big numbers of fans). Many stadiums in Germany are well updated and have safe standing terraces that I think has a big part to do with the very loud atmosphere when attending a game in Germany. Lastly the league minus maybe Bayern in recent years have a pretty big open League on who is going to finish in the top half of the League and who is going to finish in the bottom half, the league really does change from year to year compared to many other leagues in Europe who really only have a few teams that have any chance of finishing in the top 4 positions, sometimes even less then that.

brad
08-15-2014, 03:26 PM
As much as it sucks - our team is a franchise, and the team is te product they are selling us.

I know none of us view it that way - but that is what it is. It is a franchise purchased from the MLS selling us a product. Just like the McDonalds down the street.

Fort York Redcoat
08-16-2014, 06:55 AM
As much as it sucks - our team is a franchise, and the team is te product they are selling us.

I know none of us view it that way - but that is what it is. It is a franchise purchased from the MLS selling us a product. Just like the McDonalds down the street.

McDonald-Grimace-Hamburgler

What do we think of them at the back? Better than our present lineup?g:D

OgtheDim
08-16-2014, 07:29 AM

Don't be daft......never a 3 man back line in MLS.

brad
08-16-2014, 08:10 AM

I think any team with Hamburgler in it could steal 3 points from anyone :)

prizby
08-18-2014, 08:00 AM
1 thing I'd like to see taken away from the Bundesliga is a cap on away ticket prices...MLS should be encouraging away support; not discouraging it with some teams paying $50; shouldn't be more than $20 or $25

Phil
08-18-2014, 08:05 AM
1 thing I'd like to see taken away from the Bundesliga is a cap on away ticket prices...MLS should be encouraging away support; not discouraging it with some teams paying $50; shouldn't be more than $20 or $25

It has been brought up as an issue, the best way that we can figure around it is to ask that the clubs sell to each other, then distribute. Its stops any price gouging that way.