PDA

View Full Version : Any MLS All-Star Game Watchers Out There?

Alonso
08-06-2014, 09:06 PM
MLS Live and Tunnel Bear are my new best friends!

Game had a rousing fan support start with a great American National Anthem rendition.

Anybody else watching?

ag futbol
08-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Every year I tell myself I hate the ASG, then I watch anyway and enjoy it. Look forward to the day when it's all MLS as opposed to the international opponent.

PopePouri
08-06-2014, 09:12 PM
That's one for Lewandowski.

QBall
08-06-2014, 09:21 PM
MLS guys are starting to get physical. If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em!

Alonso
08-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Game is starting to click.

Some nice football right in here!

PopePouri
08-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Now it's the MLS second team against Robben, Ribery, Neuer...etc.

Alonso
08-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Now it's the MLS second team against Robben, Ribery, Neuer...etc.

This can't end well...

ag futbol
08-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Have to say, for a guy having an unreal season BWP gets only a fraction of the attention he deserves.

Would be interested to see if anyone in Europe wants him back after this season.

Alonso
08-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Have to say, for a guy having an unreal season BWP gets only a fraction of the attention he deserves.

Would be interested to see if anyone in Europe wants him back after this season.

I think many, including the broadcasters think that it's all due to Thierry Henry, just like Johnny Steele, Espindola, Cooper, Lindepere, Richards who all benefited from Henry's genius.

Bradley might have a leg up with his sublime finishing in MLS.

CommradePolski
08-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Watching for one reason really. Lewandowski.

Hoping he scores another one or 2 here. His first was a beauty.

JonO
08-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Classless response from Pep. Disappointing end to a fairly entertaining game

Couchy81
08-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Pretty good game, I only paid half attention to it while doing other things, but that whole finger waving classless bs by Bayern's coach at the end was a joke. Alonso's tackle and the result wasn't worth of that shit.

habstfc
08-07-2014, 02:03 AM
I didn't realize the game was even on. I went to the new Planet Of The Apes movie tonight and when I got home wanted to put on the tennis and accidently put on tsn instead of sportsnet. To be honest didn't even watch any of the game.

Pookie
08-07-2014, 05:38 AM
I had the chance to take in an all star game live (vs Chelsea in Philly) and it was one of the best MLS games I can remember.

Crowd was buzzing and unlike all star games in other sports both sides appeared to care about the results. Quality football with an outcome that was more up for grabs than a typical exhibition or friendly.

I would definitely go again.

Auzzy
08-07-2014, 04:00 PM
So this was actually available to watch on MLS Live (as long as you had a US IP I guess)? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere. I watched a good part of the game on a crappy stream.

flatpicker
08-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Watched the second half and thought it was pretty entertaining.
Nice goals, and even a bit of drama from the benches.
Good times.

jazzy
08-07-2014, 04:03 PM
MLS Live and Tunnel Bear are my new best friends!

Game had a rousing fan support start with a great American National Anthem rendition.

Anybody else watching?

mine wouldn't let me view either from Canada or New York.........wrote them , got feedback today simply just flew off the handle with them They r the stupidist league in the world a meaningless game and not putting it up for everyOne , new fans included....to watch .., their loss ......fook them . They r still too small minded to be really successful yet . Old lawyers still running the show , they need some young blood hip to all media and wnating to get the younger fans interested .

Carts
08-07-2014, 04:05 PM
I had the chance to take in an all star game live (vs Chelsea in Philly) and it was one of the best MLS games I can remember.

Crowd was buzzing and unlike all star games in other sports both sides appeared to care about the results. Quality football with an outcome that was more up for grabs than a typical exhibition or friendly.

I would definitely go again.

Thanks for posting this...

I've thought about going a couple times - kinda hmmm'd & haaaa'd, decided not too, then watched the match on tv and wish I did...

Now reading your experience, I think I'll take the plunge next year (based a little on opponent) and go...

I'm guessing/hoping the supporter fun around the match, at the pubs/events/etc, is a good time as well...

Carts...

Carts
08-07-2014, 04:06 PM
TV Ratings for the match last night = 180,000...

Alonso
08-07-2014, 04:06 PM
mine wouldn't let me view either from Canada or New York.........wrote them , got feedback today simply just flew off the handle with them They r the stupidist league in the world a meaningless game and not putting it up for everyOne , new fans included....to watch .., their loss ......fook them . They r still too small minded to be really successful yet . Old lawyers still running the show , they need some young blood hip to all media and wnating to get the younger fans interested .

I flipped to England and it let me watch.

Usually I get "not viewable from your region" message, but this time it let me watch the game...

I think MLS Live is glitchy and if you play around you can get it to work 95% of the time no matter what.

Alonso
08-07-2014, 04:08 PM
TV Ratings for the match last night = 180,000...

I thought it would have been better than that... unless that is just Canada?

Brooker
08-07-2014, 04:12 PM
So now I can troll my euro snob friends and say MLS is better than Bayern Munich.

You couldn't pay me to watch that Euro Disney crap.

CommradePolski
08-07-2014, 10:51 PM
So this was actually available to watch on MLS Live (as long as you had a US IP I guess)? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere. I watched a good part of the game on a crappy stream.

This. This says a lot to me.

MLS, for the good of the league really, should stream the all star game, for free, through mls live. No blackouts, nothing. This game should have been available to stream from the MLS site.

I dont believe that they couldnt put in a clause for the all star game so it is not blacked out anywhere. It is a game that should be available to watch for fans to watch for free coast to coast.

Just my 0.02

Alonso
08-08-2014, 01:07 AM

Not legitimately, the MLS Live stream was blocked in both Canada and the U.S.A.

But Tunnel Bear and MLS Live have given me virtually 95% of mls games live.

Fort York Redcoat
08-08-2014, 07:09 AM
So now I can troll my euro snob friends and say MLS is better than Bayern Munich.

You couldn't pay me to watch that Euro Disney crap.

Fact.g:D

Phil
08-08-2014, 08:02 AM
I watched the game and found it entertaining.

As a supporters group, totally get not supporting it in the stands - it is not your team on the pitch.

For the league its pretty good though. Well known opponent that draws in a crowd, plays well as far as a match that puts the leagues stars against it, also draws in North American traditionalist sports fans by having it as a standard event - most sports here have an all star event.

It grows the profile of the league and draws more in. I am more of a traditionalist and one day hope to see the MLS adopt and have sucess with a product that doesn't need these type of gimmick games, but I do get what they are at least trying to do and its unique. I won't bury them on the effort and take it for what it is, a different but still enjoyable game.

Carts
08-08-2014, 11:22 AM
I thought it would have been better than that... unless that is just Canada?

Just Canada... We don't record / monitor the US Ratings...

Couchy81
08-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Wednesday's AT&T MLS All-Star Game on ESPN2 averaged 863,000 viewers, more than the combined viewership for the last two games. The viewership was also the highest since the game moved from ABC after the 2005 season.

The All-Star Game also outdrew the Manchester United-Real Madrid game on Fox (726,000 viewers) and LA Galaxy-Portland game on NBC (457,000), which both aired Saturday afternoon.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/59829/all-star-game-outdraws-last-two-games-combined.html

Also interesting, ABC had 900k-1mil viewers roughly in the early 2000s, when the game moved to ESPN the viewership tanked.

Richard
08-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Other than basketball this is my favourite All-Star game. Soccer friendlies for the most part are entertaining and I like seeing high profile teams come to North America.

Someone in another thread mentioned the All-Star game should be a week long build up, other regular teams would have their friendlies and then this would be the finale. I like that idea a lot and then you wont have to worry about fixture congestion.

Its actually kind of surprising the bigger leagues haven't yet done something similar, just imagine having the best from all the top leagues in the EU have an All-Star showcase match. Maybe even expand that into a World XI VS XI.

TFC07
08-08-2014, 09:02 PM
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/59829/all-star-game-outdraws-last-two-games-combined.html

Also interesting, ABC had 900k-1mil viewers roughly in the early 2000s, when the game moved to ESPN the viewership tanked.

If you add Canadian ratings, then there was over million viewers watching all-star game. I believe this is huge improvement compare to the past for both countries, so great news all around.