PDA

View Full Version : NYRB vs NER - Mariner colour commentating on the MLS live feed

Alonso
08-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Paul Mariner as colour commentator?

Well he couldn't coach, maybe this is his niche?

Good game so far...

notthesun
08-02-2014, 06:34 PM
He's been the Revs colour guy for a while now. I'll give him credit for transitioning from a horrible coach to a decent commentator.

GBV
08-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Saw him at halftime. Camera shot top half only. Wondered if they let him wear shorts with the jacket/tie. :)

Miko
08-02-2014, 09:03 PM
He did a ton of the ESPN World Cup radio broadcasts. His partner always referred to him as "former World Cup striker Paul Mariner" but liked his honesty. I remember him calling the Nigeria - Iran match out as terrible the whole way throughout the second half.

OgtheDim
08-02-2014, 10:56 PM
He got the call on the red card right. Very honest in the booth. Not what I was expecting.

WestStandGeoff
08-02-2014, 11:06 PM
As much as I never really liked Mariner as a coach, I find he actually has good insight as a commentator. Maybe it's similar to the old adage "those who can't do, teach"?

prizby
08-03-2014, 06:23 AM
he's been doing it all year

JuliquE
08-03-2014, 08:24 AM
As much as I never really liked Mariner as a coach, I find he actually has good insight as a commentator. Maybe it's similar to the old adage "those who can't do, teach"?
Probably just the stuff that made him such a great assistant coach for all those years. Can't believe I've just said that.

TFC Tifoso
08-05-2014, 12:33 PM
he's also on the panel for a new show ESPN FC which (I believe) is on one of the TSN channels......for how terrible he was as coach, and I hated him here in that role, I find myself agreeing with him on quite a few topics when I watch this show......

Phil
08-05-2014, 01:09 PM
He was always a great guy to talk to. Very good insights, nice guy all around.

Terrible coach and seems to have enjoyed the boardroom politics a bit too much in my opinion.

Shakes McQueen
08-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Not really all that surprising. It's not like the guy doesn't understand football, and coaching versus commentating are two very different things. Being able to insightfully commentate on the game, is nothing like being able to utilize, train, and motivate a certain roster of players. I'm happy for him, that he's found a niche.

burlington Red
08-06-2014, 07:28 AM
He always was a colourful character, and although not a great coach, he was in his day a very useful footballer, so not surprising he has a good insight to game when commentating