PDA

View Full Version : Family washroom etiquette

WestStandGeoff
07-24-2014, 12:35 PM
A little background first...

We have been bringing our son Tom to the matches with us the past 2 seasons - he turned 21 months this week, so that's pretty much as many games as possible in his short life! We usually sit in 124, and therefore use the facilities in the west concourse, including the family washroom right across from 123 when Tom needs to be changed. In our experience, it's generally families using that room - sometimes parents like us needing the change table, often moms with sons or fathers with daughters where it's difficult to use the main facility, and sometimes just a parent with multiple kids that are hard to wrangle by going into the main facilities.

For last night's friendly, we sat in 116 - to digress, I was willing to attend for $30 a ticket, but not $112. Anyway, Tom needed a change at the half, and a very different experience for the family washroom behind 116. There were already a couple people in line when we got out to the concourse, and after the first guy wouldn't let us in, the second was gracious enough to let us go ahead of him... I did guilt him a little with a 'come on, it the family washroom', but he seemed like a nice guy and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he would have anyway. Later (still during the break) I had to go myself and queued up around 114/115, and was in and out pretty quickly, even though the line was pretty long... when I came back to my seats, there was a 7 person queue for the family, and only 1 guy (who looked about 80) seemed to actually need it.

So after all that, I'm wondering what the general etiquette is? It seems to me that priority should be to the people for whom it's designed / those who actually need it the most. If a guy wheeled into the mens room and needed the handi stall, people would certainly let him take it as soon as available and not say 'tough shit, wait your turn in line like everyone else and hopefully the 1 space you can use is free when you get to the front of the line'.

To note, I think you would still get to use a urinal faster is you stood in a 30-person line for the regular mens room than you would being 5th in line for the single-serve family facility, so I'm wondering if it's laziness, or something else, that compels people to queue for the family.

Phil
07-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Last night was far from a typical crowd at BMO. I saw some framilar faces, but a ton of people were straight up rude.

Take the experience with a grain of salt, with the regular seasons ticket holders out, I would expect a better expeirence.

WestStandGeoff
07-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Fair point Phil, and good to know as I'm seldom in the south end, and that was the first time there with the boy... hopefully more in the coming years as he grows up and we can enjoy the experience together.

but I guess what I'm driving towards is... if there are a bunch of dudes queued for the family washroom, am I a dick to walk to the front of the line with a 2 year old in my arms and expect to get let in?

RealG-TFC
07-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Wouldn't say you're a dick, it is the family washroom after all. However one cannot disregard the beer factor in all of this. I'd imagine more beer per volume and capita is consumed by the Southend vs. 124. This could potentially mean people wanting to 'go' significantly bad, and people being less worried about being courteous. Just a thought.

Phil
07-24-2014, 01:08 PM
More beer also equals lack of logic...the need to pee supersedes the polite thing to do. LOL

C.Ronaldo
07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
kid on the road? I slow the car to crawl

Pregnant lady on bus? I offer seat

Kids need to go to the bathroom, i move on over.

Old lady having trouble pumping gas, I pump it for her

Rain storm out of the blue while Im driving, I give up whatevr umbrella or poncho I have to the first person I see walking

Hell, Person buying one chocolate bar at costco, I let go ahead of me

People are too much in a rush these days, we as a society have lost our ways in many respects. (and it just aint those darn teenagers)

PS. did the baby ever find the drums too loud? WAnting to bring baby to 127, but the drum is in same aisle.

MKR
07-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Alone able bodied people shouldn't be in the line up for a family washroom.

OgtheDim
07-24-2014, 01:28 PM
[slight tangent] Just to add to the list of people who could be in that lineup legitimately:

Out of fear, some Trans people don't really feel they have an option but the family washroom. [/end slight tangent]

cmonyoureds
07-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Rain storm out of the blue while Im driving, I give up whatevr umbrella or poncho I have to the first person I see walking

People are too much in a rush these days, we as a society have lost our ways in many respects. (and it just aint those darn teenagers)

PS. did the baby ever find the drums too loud? WAnting to bring baby to 127, but the drum is in same aisle.

Brought my daughter a few times to the south end 112/113 before she was 1. She didn't seem to care. In fact, if I recall correctly, she also took a nap at one point.
Although I have also seen people with younger kids wearing "earphones".

WestStandGeoff
07-24-2014, 01:39 PM
[slight tangent] Just to add to the list of people who could be in that lineup legitimately:

Out of fear, some Trans people don't really feel they have an option but the family washroom. [/end slight tangent]

If there were any trans people in those lines last night, let me say that they should be running a class on how to act like a guy, because nobody caused me to question even for a second!

WestStandGeoff
07-24-2014, 01:45 PM

There weren't any drums that close to us, but in general he isn't too fussed with loud noises. In fact, he actually likes a busy atmosphere, especially pubs for some reason...

And BTW... if a person is buying one chocolate bar at costco, you should at least ask them why they took it out of the box before you let them in line g:D

Brought my daughter a few times to the south end 112/113 before she was 1. She didn't seem to care. In fact, if I recall correctly, she also took a nap at one point.

We bought a pair of those, but by and large the little guy would often try and take them off. We used them when he was 3 months old at an EPL match (Newcastle come-from-behind 3-2 victory over Chelsea), but we really couldn't get them on until he had already fallen asleep.

C.Ronaldo
07-24-2014, 01:53 PM
he naps well (through me building a fence, toronto traffic etc, I may give this a shot. I can always move the the back or front of my section if the overzealous usher in 127 isnt nagging on people to sit in their appropriate seats. (or maybe he can nap with Defoe's mom in the boxlol)

T-boy
07-24-2014, 04:31 PM

Was talking to a couple with a baby behind me and the baby had on these - the parents said they are great for TFC games:

http://www.snugglebugz.ca/banz-earmuffs-0-2yrs.html

They were right be 113, so right by the big drum and chanting. The baby slept through mostly the whole game!

Areathrasher
07-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Some interesting reading here. Bringing my daughter to the Sunday afternoon Chivas game in Sept. She'll be 6 months old.

Abou Sky
07-24-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm sorry that you had to go through that man, that really sucks.

You would be hard pressed to find someone who would say that you didn't have first right to that washroom.

FluSH
07-24-2014, 08:11 PM
After 8 years... I had no idea that BMO had Familiy washrooms!

Partially because I would never look for one since I have no business using a Family washroom.

cmonyoureds
07-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Some interesting reading here. Bringing my daughter to the Sunday afternoon Chivas game in Sept. She'll be 6 months old.

When we took her to Shoeless in her jersey the first few times it was like taking the queen on tour. Stopped every few seconds and pointed at a lot.
It did however get me let in front of the line to get our first beers of the day...........just sayin..................:cheers:

eustacchio
07-25-2014, 09:25 AM
I think it's like sitting in the priority seats on the TTC (which are now blue so that they stand out more so it's more obvious): You can sit there if you want, but should get up for people in need. Of course, you're not obligated to get up, but, you know, don't be an asshole.

Areathrasher
07-25-2014, 10:13 PM
When we took her to Shoeless in her jersey the first few times it was like taking the queen on tour. Stopped every few seconds and pointed at a lot.
It did however get me let in front of the line to get our first beers of the day...........just sayin..................:cheers:

Noted :lol:

Red CB Toronto
07-25-2014, 10:17 PM
I have into the family wash room if no one was in sight, but would never line up for one if people in need were there. Its common sense like many things in life.

Brooker
07-25-2014, 10:27 PM
We put up with the little..... kids... You put up with our rude drunks. Seems like a fair deal. Who would want to bother with a crying, messy, pooping machine during a game? Sounds like hell for everyone involved. (I don't think a sporting event is appropriate to bring a baby to. But I get some people can't find baby sitters.)

I also can't imagine bringing my BABY into the supporters section washroom. Yikes. Drunks like me are in there.

burlington Red
07-26-2014, 02:18 AM
speak to your rep.

Ryan1984
07-26-2014, 01:29 PM
I sit in section 117 every game there is a line up of people at the family washroom by 116. I have used that washroom too but from what I have seen no one ever complains when someone with kids shows up just lets them go ahead.