PDA

View Full Version : Why was MTL so earger to get rid of Warner?

C.Ronaldo
07-23-2014, 09:31 AM
He has played very well and makes very little mistakes

Can float in a free kick fairly well, and isnt afraid to shoot (though with the options arond him, not sure how wise that is)

To be fair, we did give up a good wingerm, to get a good player. Still prefer issey to Jackson

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 09:43 AM
He has played very well and makes very little mistakes

Can float in a free kick fairly well, and isnt afraid to shoot (though with the options arond him, not sure how wise that is)

To be fair, we did give up a good wingerm, to get a good player. Still prefer issey to Jackson

They most likely saw they needed goals from non DP players and saw Issey scoring plus a fan favourite (Canada fans, that is).

I doubt it was an attitude issue they probably thought they needed more help in Issey's end of the pitch.

OgtheDim
07-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Wasn't a starter in their system and Montreal needed (and still do) attacking options.

MKR
07-23-2014, 09:58 AM
i think that trade has worked out well for us. the overwhelming majority had written it off as a disaster when it was made. And i don't think i am exaggerating, people HATED that trade.

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 10:01 AM
i think that trade has worked out well for us. the overwhelming majority had written it off as a disaster when it was made. And i don't think i am exaggerating, people HATED that trade.

People still hate that trade but it has nothing to do with it being a disaster.

I don't hate Warner as a person or a player but I still would rather Issey on our team.

The trade seems to have worked so far as him filling a role we needed filling.

Voodooman
07-23-2014, 10:18 AM
The thing he is pointing out more specifically, is why was MTL fans specifically so happy to let him go. Did he play awful there?

C.Ronaldo
07-23-2014, 10:23 AM
The thing he is pointing out more specifically, is why was MTL fans specifically so happy to let him go. Did he play awful there?

Thanks

:drum:

Ultra & Proud
07-23-2014, 10:24 AM
I don't think he was awful there but they played him out of position and since the team stinks this year some players will have to take the fall, rightly or not.

PopePouri
07-23-2014, 10:27 AM
People still hate that trade but it has nothing to do with it being a disaster.

I don't hate Warner as a person or a player but I still would rather Issey on our team.

Issey's sitting on the bench at Montreal and he's a defensive liability.

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Issey's sitting on the bench at Montreal and he's a defensive liability.

So "we are winning the trade" as it were. This doesn't prove what the players would've done had they stayed where they were.

OgtheDim
07-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Nelsen didn't see Issy as a starter. Lovitz was taking his spot as a sub.

"Coulda woulda" would not have happened. :)

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Nelsen didn't see Issy as a starter. Lovitz was taking his spot as a sub.

"Coulda woulda" would not have happened. :)

That's just another way to say it happened because it happened. Doesn't change my preference. Not a deal breaker or anything. It just pissed me off.

Pint
07-23-2014, 11:13 AM
I just assumed he was traded because he wasn't either Italian or Canadian

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 12:20 PM
I just assumed he was traded because he wasn't either Italian or Canadian

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001162223/wonder_woman_xlarge.gif

Thanks for that.g:D

Ossington Mental Youth
07-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Because they are a poor judge of player. Some also suggested that he was a Marsh signing therefore was always going to be on the outs.

Derko
07-23-2014, 01:58 PM
That's just another way to say it happened because it happened. Doesn't change my preference. Not a deal breaker or anything. It just pissed me off.

Maybe because of timing, winning against Vancouver and such? But I think Warner is doing a good job in his role, I would personally like to see Lovitz getting more and more minutes. Issey, I was beginning to like his being in the right spot at the right time to score a few goals, but never really manufactured anything. Thoughts?

flamehawk
07-23-2014, 02:01 PM
I was one of the naysayers at the trade. With time, Warner has impressed me tremendously, to the point where I'd say he's a crucial player for us. I still love Issey, and wish acquiring him did not require getting rid of Issey, but from a purely tactical perspective, I'd go with Warner over Issey.

Dub Narcotic
07-23-2014, 02:25 PM
He got scapegoated for a lot of the problems the team was having this year. He had one particularly awful game where he was red carded for handball in the box. It was a hilariously terrible play by him, I'm sure you can find the video in three seconds. Being the one obvious American they could blame for a lot of the problems probably didn't hurt either. He was also being asked to do more in Montreal than he is here in Toronto.

Ultra & Proud
07-23-2014, 02:26 PM
I thought we won that trade the day it was made even though I didn't like it at the time as I always liked Issey.

Bottom line is that we got a key starter in a position that we needed strengthening in and Montreal took on an expensive, one dimensional bench player who can provide an offensive spark. Since I expect Crazy Joey to clean house again during or after this season, I wouldn't be at all shocked to see Journeyman Issey on the road to a new club again in the off season.

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Maybe because of timing, winning against Vancouver and such? But I think Warner is doing a good job in his role, I would personally like to see Lovitz getting more and more minutes. Issey, I was beginning to like his being in the right spot at the right time to score a few goals, but never really manufactured anything. Thoughts?

Issey scored 2 goals in 5 games. That's manufacturing to me but I didn't expect that consistency all season long. Warner is fine and he is one of those players, I believe it was @ensco was pining for when the season started that was a cheap young workhorse that MLS teams are built on that we couldn't seem to find more than one at a time in our history.

Apologies @ensco if it was @Pookie. I believe it was one of you.

Creavalle is in this MLS young workhorse category.

Derko
07-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Issey scored 2 goals in 5 games. That's manufacturing to me but I didn't expect that consistency all season long. Warner is fine and he is one of those players, I believe it was @ensco was pining for when the season started that was a cheap young workhorse that MLS teams are built on that we couldn't seem to find more than one at a time in our history.

Apologies @ensco if it was @Pookie. I believe it was one of you.

Creavalle is in this MLS young workhorse category.

True enough

prizby
07-24-2014, 07:38 AM
they rated Gorka Larrea higher

Marc"2L"
07-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Never an issue with the players traded, only the optics.