PDA

View Full Version : Sporting KC inks Zusi and Besler to twin Designated Player contracts

Smokecell
07-19-2014, 04:26 PM
News broke on halftime of Spurs vs Sounders. The two are locked up until the next World Cup. Does this make sense? Is this a sign of changed rosters rules in the next CBA? Interesting move to say the least...

SirBobSaget
07-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Sporting KC has never bought a DP. Seems they rather reward players that have proven themselves to be able to produce in MLS with big contracts. Rather than other organizations who parachute in big names who never get in gear.

Yohan
07-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Sporting KC has never bought a DP. Seems they rather reward players that have proven themselves to be able to produce in MLS with big contracts. Rather than other organizations who parachute in big names who never get in gear.
they bought Claudio Bieler (who is more of a bench player for them)

ensco
07-21-2014, 06:27 AM
Both are 27 and I suspect have limited options in Europe. They can't be costing big dollars. I like the message in rewarding your own guys.

But it doesn't make as much sense to me for Besler - using DP slots for defenders seems wasteful. (I can't get the image of Lukaku scorching him out of my mind, although that is not fair)

jloome
07-21-2014, 09:28 AM
But it doesn't make as much sense to me for Besler - using DP slots for defenders seems wasteful. (I can't get the image of Lukaku scorching him out of my mind, although that is not fair)

They had to, he had multiple offers in Europe including two in the premiership. He probably would have been fighting for a place there, though, so it makes sense for him to take the money at home.

Pint
07-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Would love to see the actual $$$ amount for these deals. To me this is purely a case of keeping top domestic talent in the league even though I have said many times before that low-mid range DP's don't make sense unless your owner can't afford to spend.

OgtheDim
07-21-2014, 11:59 AM
DP as cap space creation tool. Not sure this is what the league really wanted with that rule.

If they get paid near what Gilberto gets, I would be surprised.

SKC is a great team and all but if DP spending takes off and teams get 4 DPS, those who choose to go this route for DP's will get left behind.

Initial B
07-21-2014, 12:11 PM
I get the feeling that they'll only be DPs for this year. Once the new $5m+ Salary cap and $600K DP cap-hit comes into play, they'll just be considered regular players.

gmacpheetfc
07-21-2014, 02:14 PM
when is this $5 mm cap coming into play?

Red CB Toronto
07-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Besler had EPL offers so to keep him KC must be paying some decent bucks.

Yohan
07-21-2014, 05:52 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article776898.html

ensco
07-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Besler had EPL offers so to keep him KC must be paying some decent bucks.

I don't believe that. That is his agent talking. I love the USMNT and all its players but no effing way that anyone was offering Besler anything more than a tryout in the EPL. He is simply too old and not big or fast enough.

Championship (ie Fulham), that I believe. But why bother doing that, vs staying.

Re the salary, Gonzalez set the bar at $1.25M, but he is younger and really might get some foreign traction. Suspect these guys got $800K-1M.

Red CB Toronto
07-21-2014, 08:47 PM
I don't believe that. That is his agent talking. I love the USMNT and all its players but no effing way that anyone was offering Besler anything more than a tryout in the EPL. He is simply too old and not big or fast enough.

Championship (ie Fulham), that I believe. But why bother doing that, vs staying.

Re the salary, Gonzalez set the bar at $1.25M, but he is younger and really might get some foreign traction. Suspect these guys got $800K-1M.

He had over 10 euro offers and KC even admitted they were discussing a transfer. The bottom of the EPL is really interchangeable with a number of championship sides. Say he signed a deal with Fulham and they got back up, which is quite possible, he would be in the premier league anyways. But I agree, Europe is so vast so 10 offers for one player likely would not be equal to others.

Yohan
07-21-2014, 09:02 PM

Re the salary, Gonzalez set the bar at $1.25M, but he is younger and really might get some foreign traction. Suspect these guys got $800K-1M.http://www.givemesport.com/487670-sunderland-stunned-by-matt-besler-rejection

don't know how credible the source is, so take it for what you will

ensco
07-21-2014, 09:24 PM
http://www.givemesport.com/487670-sunderland-stunned-by-matt-besler-rejection

don't know how credible the source is, so take it for what you will

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1952858/sunderland-wont-bid-for-matt-beslersources-say

Smokecell
07-21-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm not sure how I take this.

On one end I feel that for MLS to be a success down the road, players like this should not have to be DPs. I feel it occupies a slot that could otherwise be used to help grow the game or set the bar higher. If Zusi and Besler are going to be perceived as superstars in this league and the other rostered players being under their level - MLS will never be the top league it wants to be. If our bar is going to be set at a David Beckham, Robbie Keane, Thierry Henry or Jermain Defoe I would feel a lot more comfortable with the claim of growing to be a top league.

On the other end I do think the idea of keeping domestic talent in the league is a positive one. I think the idea of players now choosing MLS over Championship and Lower tier EPL teams sends a great message. There has been a nice USMNT homecoming lately and I think that's great for the league. I also think MLS would be a lot better off is USMNT players had some sort of DP exemption in the new CBA. If my team could sign 3 (or more) world class DPs (the Keanes, Cahills, Defoes, Henrys of the world) AND THEN add USMNT talent to compliment that I'd have every reason to be optimistic about this league and its' growth.

Pookie
07-22-2014, 06:08 AM
Both are 27 and I suspect have limited options in Europe. They can't be costing big dollars. I like the message in rewarding your own guys.

Omar Gonzales does well for LA as a rewarded own guy defender DP.

Basic concept in football is having a strong spine. I don't see the issue with DPs down the middle starting at CB.

Pookie
07-22-2014, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure how I take this.

On one end I feel that for MLS to be a success down the road, players like this should not have to be DPs. I feel it occupies a slot that could otherwise be used to help grow the game or set the bar higher. If Zusi and Besler are going to be perceived as superstars in this league and the other rostered players being under their level - MLS will never be the top league it wants to be. If our bar is going to be set at a David Beckham, Robbie Keane, Thierry Henry or Jermain Defoe I would feel a lot more comfortable with the claim of growing to be a top league.

I think that the image MLS is hoping to change is that of a retirement league. Talented as the above mentioned crop may be, it's clear that the sun is setting on their careers. There will always be older, retirement minded ticket sellers available for purchase. MLS could continue on this path as long as it has money.

Younger DPs that are still on the upside is where the game will grow. The challenge is predicting which ones will take off.

Fort York Redcoat
07-22-2014, 07:48 AM
I think that the image MLS is hoping to change is that of a retirement league. Talented as the above mentioned crop may be, it's clear that the sun is setting on their careers. There will always be older, retirement minded ticket sellers available for purchase. MLS could continue on this path as long as it has money.

Younger DPs that are still on the upside is where the game will grow. The challenge is predicting which ones will take off.

I know you know this bit but there will always be the "retirement league" aspect to the league with big time world players making their last stop America (for whatever reason ) because it gets people in the door more than the underappreciated upandcomer. The former gets people in the door but the latter is more important to the league quality.

I think it should be viewed as a strength of the league that it isn't top whatever in the world but is still attractive. We have one of the most diverse leagues in the world for it.

Abou Sky
07-23-2014, 10:44 PM
^
Maybe I am just drinking the Garber Kool Aid, but I really do believe that in 10 years, MLS will be a top level league.

I am really happy for them, they are both fantastic players, Zusi is one of my favorite non-TFC players.