PDA

View Full Version : TFC vs. Vancouver - Wednesday July 16 @ 8pm - TSN

OgtheDim
07-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Another home game, another game where we should be looking to get a win.

Weather for Toronto Islands. Comfortable but not warm.

http://i.imgur.com/MVjK99y.jpg

REFEREE: ALLEN CHAPMAN
AR1: Kermit Quisenberry
AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
4TH: Silviu Petrescu

This will be Chapman's 8th game of the season and 42nd since staring in 2012.

:scarf::scarf:

Qman
07-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Vancouver was playing really well before the break, but are playing so-so now.
- Lost their two starting CBs to injury
- Teams seem to be defending the the 4-2-3-1 better.
- young striker/wingers Hurtado/Mattocks/Manneh have gone cold and they are still trying to find the right combination on the wings
- Morales who plays the #10 role is really solid playmaker; if he's on, they will generate a lot of chances

ryan
07-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Harvey shouldn't be available after his red vs Chivas last week.

Oldtimer
07-15-2014, 11:51 AM
I expect another high-scoring game and a win for TFC.

OgtheDim
07-15-2014, 11:57 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/489089577345232898) Caldwell has a quad tear. Out for a bit. Michael Bradley fit for Wednesday.

Pint
07-15-2014, 11:58 AM
So Henry-Hagglund? or is Orr now a staple in our CB lineup?

Graeme
07-15-2014, 12:01 PM
-------------Bendik------------------
--Bloom---Orr--Henry-----Morrow--
-Oduro--Warner--Bradley--Jackson--
----------Defoe---Gilberto---------

(I just want to see all our DPs on the field at the same time for once...)

Also, the front six could look like this:
------Warner------------Jackson----
--Oduro-----Bradley------Gilberto--
-------------Defoe-----------------

T-boy
07-15-2014, 12:10 PM
We will need Orr's experience at the back.

Initial B
07-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Vancouver's offense seems to be struggling a bit and if TFC can get the ball past Laba, the VAN defence is vulnerable. I'm guessing TFC wins it 2-1 or 2-0.

mastermixer
07-15-2014, 01:02 PM
So Henry-Hagglund? or is Orr now a staple in our CB lineup?

Orr is on loan from Blackburn. Wonder how many games he has left with us. If he leaves, and Caldwell being out, leaves us with a big defensive hole IMO.

OgtheDim
07-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Orr is on loan from Blackburn. Wonder how many games he has left with us. If he leaves, and Caldwell being out, leaves us with a big defensive hole IMO.

His loan is until the end of our season. There's a new regime in Blackburn that doesn't care for his abilities and his contract (kinda like Cesar and QPR).

He ain't going back but they might ship him somewhere else.

Milanista
07-15-2014, 01:57 PM
love that line up, MLS has so much parity that teams should look to flat out attack more often bc so many defenders are soo bad

-------------Bendik------------------
--Bloom---Orr--Henry-----Morrow--
-Oduro--Warner--Bradley--Jackson--
----------Defoe---Gilberto---------

(I just want to see all our DPs on the field at the same time for once...)

Also, the front six could look like this:
------Warner------------Jackson----
--Oduro-----Bradley------Gilberto--
-------------Defoe-----------------

Joe Kool
07-15-2014, 04:22 PM
I didn't really think about it until I read a recent match preview but we are neck and neck with Vancouver for CCL placement in the next iteration of the competition. With all the games left I guess the result is not as much of a big deal but would be great to be the top Canadian team after tomorrow's game even with all the games left to play in the 2014 season. Also, always fun to beat up on Vancouver at BMO.

ndtoronto
07-15-2014, 07:09 PM
deleted

ag futbol
07-15-2014, 08:08 PM
You never know what caps team is going to show up on a given day, chalk it up to youth and inconsistency.

At the risk of stating the obvious, whoever wins the midfield battle will win the game. I few people remarked something along the lines of "TFC looks more ________, without Bradley" in the previous game thread. I think that's down to positional consistency. If I had a criticism of how we play when he's on the field, it would be that we simply let him roam around an do whatever he wants. He can be the first guy pressuring a CB with the ball or the last man back defending. That is making it hard for other people to understand where they should be and where to find him on the field. It will probably come with time but they need to define what he should be doing a little more rigidly. So for this game, how the midfield plays together is key. When it has been poor, the mids leave large gaps in front of the backline that faster players expose. Vancouver, on the right day is capable of using that to their advantage.

However, I expect we will win. They are short two starting CBs and a LB due to a redcard. Koffie and Labba will really have to clog the gaps back there to keep this one tight. Don't think they'll be able to do it and Defoe is a matchup nightmare for most teams right now let alone one with two inconsistent CBs.

3-1 TFC

T-boy
07-15-2014, 08:47 PM
First home game I'm missing this season - so all expect a fanastic game. Defoe hat-trick, Whitecaps player sent off for something crazy, and maybe a streaker and squirral (but not related to the same incident!).

brad
07-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Is Laba available for this, or does the loan clause prevent it?

Oldtimer
07-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Laba is available.

portu
07-16-2014, 12:02 AM
Really hoping to see us play some quality football tomorrow. Hoping to see Bradley and Gilberto as well.

Graeme
07-16-2014, 06:28 AM
Laba is available. All 4 of our DPs could be on the field!

T-boy
07-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Man, good luck going to the game tonight, the road closures and no parking is going to make like hell getting down to BMO! :o

SirBobSaget
07-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Is Laba available for this, or does the loan clause prevent it?

Its not a loan, trade with future considerations.

Dreadlocks
07-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Speaking of Laba, I just ran into him at Starbucks. Real class guy.

ManUtd4ever
07-16-2014, 10:09 AM
It should provide a boost having Bradley and Gilberto available for the full 90. Hopefully, our backline will hold up in the absence of Caldwell.

Canary10
07-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Speaking of Laba, I just ran into him at Starbucks. Real class guy.

Is Laba going to get the "TFC reject" chant tonight or are we going to be nice?

Derko
07-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Is Laba going to get the "TFC reject" chant tonight or are we going to be nice?

I say be nice, not his fault, besides I will also applaud Carl Robinson, one of the classiest gentlemen I have ever met.
Screw the rest of the Caps, and hopefully we slaughter them :flare:
:scarf:

Canary10
07-16-2014, 10:24 AM
^Yeah I agree. Plus in the off chance there is still any possibility of getting him back....

JuliquE
07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
^Yeah I agree. Plus in the off chance there is still any possibility of getting him back....
What I was about to say; could well have proven to be the final nail, if it comes down to him and what he wants.

BuSaPuNk
07-16-2014, 10:54 AM
i say be nice, not his fault, besides i will also applaud carl robinson, one of the classiest gentlemen i have ever met.
Screw the rest of the caps, and hopefully we slaughter them :flare:
:scarf:

here's to you carl robinson
bmo loves you more then you will know woh woh woh

now here's to you carl robinson
thanks for giving up three goals today
hey hey hey
hey hey hey

Pint
07-16-2014, 11:13 AM
here's to you carl robinson
bmo loves you more then you will know woh woh woh

now here's to you carl robinson
thanks for giving up three goals today
hey hey hey
hey hey hey

i like it

OgtheDim
07-16-2014, 11:13 AM
FWIW

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsq-3btCEAAlqOr.jpg

reggie
07-16-2014, 11:20 AM
who comes up with this lineup...the hotdog vender..g:D

Pint
07-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Bendik
Bloom - Orr - Henry - Morrow
Oduro - Warner - Bradley - Jackson(although i would like to see lovitz)
Gilberto - Defoe

barticusz
07-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Pint. I would wager you got it right.

BuSaPuNk
07-16-2014, 11:49 AM
i like it

Just the original Robinson song with a slight change. I had this going a wee bit during the voyaguers cup game.

To me its classy as we still do respect and love him but its got that dig that were beating them

BuSaPuNk
07-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Rachel lol

I stop looking at these as there so far fetched sometimes.

Bendik
Morrow - Henry - Orr - Bloom
Warner
Orduro - Bradley - Jackson
Defoe - Moore

molenshtain
07-16-2014, 11:58 AM
I'd really love to see Moore, Defoe and Gilberto on the field to start the game. Hopefully we we go back to the 4-2-3-1 we started with against D.C. It looked promising.

Qman
07-16-2014, 12:05 PM
FWIW

f*** this. bradley better play. what am i paying for. rest him on the road

OgtheDim
07-16-2014, 12:16 PM
TFC had an ad in the Metro today with Bradley on it.

They also pushed his name out on social media.

He starts.

PopePouri
07-16-2014, 12:34 PM
I don't think Oso gets dropped after a goal and assist in the last game.

Sweeper
07-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Pumped for this game. Hopefully leaving Waterloo at 4:30pm will get me there in time for the anthem. :facepalm: Better not be resting Bradley.

Ivy
07-16-2014, 01:45 PM
f*** this. bradley better play. what am i paying for. rest him on the road
:flare:

MartinUtd
07-16-2014, 01:48 PM
How does the Canadian Championship work for next years spot? Is it our position in the MLS table relative to each other or is it based only on results played between the Canadian teams?

jloome
07-16-2014, 01:59 PM
I have a good feeling about this game. Vancouver's been stuttering lately and its defence has not looked solid.

jloome
07-16-2014, 02:00 PM
How does the Canadian Championship work for next years spot? Is it our position in the MLS table relative to each other or is it based only on results played between the Canadian teams?

I believe it's just highest final table finish.

KGH
07-16-2014, 03:22 PM
FWIW

So I looked back at all 17 of these and they've never been right. 0-17. My guess is that streak continues

CommradePolski
07-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Im more or less done with Bekker. I wouldnt want him anywhere near the starting 11, unless its a game that doesnt matter like a friendly.

notthesun
07-16-2014, 04:06 PM
So I looked back at all 17 of these and they've never been right. 0-17. My guess is that streak continues

It's a social marketing tool to create discussion about the team. They're purposefully wrong.

mowe
07-16-2014, 04:20 PM
It's a social marketing tool to create discussion about the team. They're purposefully wrong.

Hanlon's razor. I think whoever does these is just some regular guy making a guess. He's just not very good at it.

WestStandGeoff
07-16-2014, 04:30 PM

Yeah, but with the "*Probable starting XI picked by Torontofc.ca staff" as part of the info graphic, part of that discussion inevitably includes "why does Torontofc.ca employ so many people that are utterly clueless about the team?".

Oldtimer
07-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Yeah, but with the "*Probable starting XI picked by Torontofc.ca staff" as part of the info graphic, part of that discussion inevitably includes "why does Torontofc.ca employ so many people that are utterly clueless about the team?".

Reggie probably nailed it!

JayMolly
07-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Pumped for this game. Hopefully leaving Waterloo at 4:30pm will get me there in time for the anthem. :facepalm: Better not be resting Bradley.

We agree. Looking forward to match,
And, with Caldwell out . . .we need Bradley

Red CB Toronto
07-16-2014, 05:19 PM
I really think TFC has to send back Vancouver their Whitecaps back all nice and melted.

OgtheDim
07-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Bradley starting. Wet seats. Bring about 8 napkins if you intend on sitting. A bit cool out of the sun. Should be a great game.

Qman
07-16-2014, 06:27 PM
listening to the vancouver broadcast on my phone and looking like they will be playing the diamond tonite. They've played 4-2-3-1 almost every minute season to date.

notthesun
07-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Hanlon's razor. I think whoever does these is just some regular guy making a guess. He's just not very good at it.

I doubt that very much, personally. Don't underestimate the focus being placed these days on having a strong social media presence.

mowe
07-16-2014, 06:53 PM
I doubt that very much, personally. Don't underestimate the focus being placed these days on having a strong social media presence.

And you think putting out a deliberately wrong projected lineup is how TFC decided to build a "strong social media presence"? Come on. It got 15 retweets. This board is probably the only place where discussion exists about the projected lineups.

I think it's just a new guy who does them, and he doesn't know how Nelson likes to operate. For instance today he had three spots wrong, Gilberto for Moore, Bekker for Bradley, and Hagglund for Orr. You can see the thought process behind it. Bradley still "injured", Gilberto being fit now, etc.

wzhxvy
07-16-2014, 07:08 PM
anyone have a stream ?

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Wow, they totally rearranged their formation for this game. Interesting!

dantdot
07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
http://ifirstrow.eu/watch/269967/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-vancouver-whitecaps.html

woolly
07-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Wow, they totally rearranged their formation for this game. Interesting!

Care to elaborate for those of us that can't watch?

v00d00daddy
07-16-2014, 07:24 PM
I love that we signed Bradley but I hate how we play offensively.

We have absolutely no brain or creativity in the middle of the field. All we want are long through balls tried from our own half towards Defoe.

It's worked for us but it's so predictable and will eventually be easy to defend.

God I wish we had the desire to play football with some creativity and beauty.

CBTFC
07-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Watching the game at football factory.

So far so good from my point, just need to keep the ball on the ground a bit more

TFC07
07-16-2014, 07:41 PM
- Bradley and Warner in the middle isn't working offensively for us.
- Atmosphere in this game is awful. What's up with supporters?
- Jackson seem like only one making things happen so far.

Detroit_TFC
07-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Tons of good chances. But no goals for the effort. That's going to bite us in the ass for sure.

Fortunately Van has been wasteful with their chances too, so far.

TFC07
07-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Care to elaborate for those of us that can't watch?

They're playing 4-4-2 (diamond shape) to match up with TFC's 4-4-2. Vancouver usually plays more 4-2-3-1!

Doucet3
07-16-2014, 07:47 PM
- Bradley and Warner in the middle isn't working offensively for us.
- Atmosphere in this game is awful. What's up with supporters?
- Jackson seem like only one making things happen so far.
- there not supposed to .... Their goal production is all bonus there doing what there getting paid for, possession and ball distribution
- agree good show from him, now he needs to keep that up, Osorio has be good aswell... Albeit few stray balls
- atmosphere dosnt seem that bad the south end looks packed. Maybe tsn has it's mics messed up? Not catching the SG's

pdubs
07-16-2014, 07:50 PM
we continue to move the ball on the ground rather well. i see encouraging signs in this game and last couple. need better service in final third obviously but like what i am seeing overall.

TFC07
07-16-2014, 07:52 PM
- there not supposed to .... Their goal production is all bonus there doing what there getting paid for, possession and ball distribution
- agree good show from him, now he needs to keep that up, Osorio has be good aswell... Albeit few stray balls
- atmosphere dosnt seem that bad the south end looks packed. Maybe tsn has it's mics messed up? Not catching the SG's

Middle hasn't help with ball distribution and counter attack. Everything is coming from wings which is making easy for Vancouver to defend against TFC

We need more from middle of the field to provide service for Defoe.

CBTFC
07-16-2014, 08:00 PM
I would argue that Bradley and Warner are doing
exactly what they need to do

TFC07
07-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Good half, but lack of final ball is lacking. Middle of field started off slow, but it improve later on in the game.

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 08:03 PM
They're playing 4-4-2 (diamond shape) to match up with TFC's 4-4-2. Vancouver usually plays more 4-2-3-1!
Exactly. Normally one of Hurtado or Mattocks up top, as opposed to both. They prefer to play through the midfield with the Uruguayans or Manneh running all over the place.

notthesun
07-16-2014, 08:03 PM
And you think putting out a deliberately wrong projected lineup is how TFC decided to build a "strong social media presence"? Come on. It got 15 retweets. This board is probably the only place where discussion exists about the projected lineups.

I think it's just a new guy who does them, and he doesn't know how Nelson likes to operate. For instance today he had three spots wrong, Gilberto for Moore, Bekker for Bradley, and Hagglund for Orr. You can see the thought process behind it. Bradley still "injured", Gilberto being fit now, etc.

I didn't say it was effective.

Decent first half. Bradley should be taking free kicks from that distance though. Defoe can't get them over the wall and below the crossbar. He's better at drilling them straight on from the edge of the box.

Backline is doing well, Bloom and Morrow are both getting forward a lot.

Burning Red
07-16-2014, 08:04 PM
As per usual, we need to "give it time" for Bradley and Warner to gel, or see if they really ever forge an effective partnership. I have some major doubts about this sometimes. Nelson is obsessed with this 4-4-2 with one holding and one attacking central mid system. I think that by having one central DM, Bradley is missing someone to pass to in close proximity. All he can do is pass it to the defenders, forwards or the wing. He needs a stronger passer of the ball/creative playmaker like Osorio in order to control the middle of the park. Laba/Bradley would make for a better pair because of Laba's excellent passing vision AND ability to hold the midfield simultaneously. Warner is more of an advanced defender it seems. TFC seem to do better with 2 creative central mids, even if they both don't get forward.

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 08:05 PM
I would guarantee they are being told to test the new vancouver LB in his first full pro game of the season. It was working for a bit but he settled in after that. They are just packing the box and defending, need to probe a bit more as opposed to being so direct.

Pretty boring half IMO. TFC definitely had the balance of play, but still 0-0

Yohan
07-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Doneil Henry in beast mode. So that means he'll screw up and cough up a PK soon

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 08:22 PM
I'll say it: Carl Robinson has made adjustements, we're slow to realize it.

Yohan
07-16-2014, 08:23 PM
too many dudes standing still. sigh

ag futbol
Doneil Henry in beast mode. So that means he'll screw up and cough up a PK soon
I was going to say the same thing. Concerning when your CB is a stand out. Quiet Henry is the best Henry.

notthesun
3 players in Mattocks' immediate area and the ball goes in between all of them. Unacceptable.

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 08:24 PM
This ref seems to be clueless when it comes to players being obstructed off the ball. I see all kinds of runs being stood up and he doesn't call it.

v00d00daddy
07-16-2014, 08:24 PM

They're the two central midfielders and there is no offensive link between the back line and the attackers. That's part of their job.

CBTFC
07-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Wow, a bunch of red jerseys standing around. That was poor.

Doucet3
07-16-2014, 08:27 PM

Agree we didn't get them for goals we got them for the middle anchor

Doucet3
07-16-2014, 08:28 PM
No knock to Bloom love the guy but that's the third time he's been caught ball watching and it's lead to a goal. Seen it developing ��. Not to say it's all his fault at all

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 08:30 PM
I would have to see it again, but my gut feeling is the mids that are supposed to sweep that space in front of the central defenders were again awol

TFC07
07-16-2014, 08:32 PM
It seem like we need Gilberto to take free kicks.

Time to sub out Moore for Gilberto and play more 4-3-3 with Gilberto, Defoe and Oduro up front.

Doucet3
07-16-2014, 08:32 PM
I would have to see it again, but my gut feeling is the mids that are supposed to sweep that space in front of the central defenders were again awol
Watch it again you'll see bloomer wrong place looking at the wrong spot, agree with your assessment of the mids sweeping... They've been okay at it aswell as in the game but there they just couldn't do it, tht shouldn't of developed either way

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Sweet, I'll take it.

TFC07
07-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Game is even now thanks to penalty goal.

Nerepis
and it's level

Doucet3
I love you Defoe lol god damn that was needed

notthesun
Initial impression, weak as hell call. On the replay, good decision. Reo-Coker simply missed the ball and he really shouldn't have.

v00d00daddy
We are so fortunate lol.

Makes me wonder about the bez fortune lol

CBTFC
07-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Wait, did tfc just get a pk call AT HOME.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Initial impression, weak as hell call. On the replay, good decision. Reo-Coker simply missed the ball and he really shouldn't have.
Yeah I agree. Really if they'd just stand off Jackson would have just gave it to them since his close control is awful.

Doucet3
07-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah I agree. Really if they'd just stand off Jackson would have just gave it to them since his close control is awful.

agree with both points, Jackson would of fell on his own but Coker did impede on him as weak as it was

mowe
07-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Defoe wasn't expecting that perfect Bradley pass.

mowe
07-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Gilberto heads high ughh

notthesun
Fuck. That was Gilberto's moment.

pdubs
ah Gilberto. i still believe

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 09:04 PM
This team needs a more consistent way to feed its strikers. Not much vision coming out of this midfield group right now.

Yohan
07-16-2014, 09:06 PM
This team needs a more consistent way to feed its strikers. Not much vision coming out of this midfield group right now.
it's either too much dribbling trying to beat 1v1, or going through Bradley who isn't playing like 100%

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Pretty dire match. We had a little better of the play but thought we could have used a little more invention in the final third.

notthesun
07-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Man. Could've had 3 points today. On the overall balance I think we were the better team.

Doucet3
07-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Man. Could've had 3 points today. On the overall balance I think we were the better team.
Good performance, exciting good pace, liked what I say foul have improvements but then again when can you not

mowe
07-16-2014, 09:10 PM
This team has no idea what to do in the final third. They just push it wide and hope Jackson does something. There's no plan, no hint of creativity, just lots of standing around.

TFC07
07-16-2014, 09:10 PM

I think it's better to start Osorio and Bradley in the middle of the field where there's more creativity than having Warner (who's strictly DM) with Bradley.

ag futbol
07-16-2014, 09:12 PM
it's either too much dribbling trying to beat 1v1, or going through Bradley who isn't playing like 100%
Yeah, I mean that's what you get with Oduro / Jackson. Unless it's an obvious / easy pass rarely connect it. Was watching forwards waive their arms begging for through balls all game long, they never came.

mitchf
07-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Between Gilberto and Moore, we're guaranteed to have a striker on the field with zero ball skills. I hate that.

That was a fine game though, there's a struggle with getting the ball through cleanly, but as Bradley regains his legs (he's so noticeably winded and sore) we'll be ok.

OgtheDim
07-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Fun game to watch. 2 evenly matched teams. Quite the battle in the midfield. Fair result.

daner90
07-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Yup nailed it. Its frustrating every game where we get forward so much but can't make anything of it. It's amazing Defoe has 11 goals when he hardly touches the ball and gets no service

Pookie
07-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Pretty dire match. We had a little better of the play but thought we could have used a little more invention in the final third.

Kind of a meh type game. Around the 80th min Vancouver looked like they were resigned to the single point. Disappointed we couldn't capitalize on their lack of offensive desire.

Since some of you like to call out Henry, it should be noted he had an excellent game tonight.

Duffman
07-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Osario needs to play as a CAM and run the 4-1-2-1-2 formation

Defoe and gilberto up top

Osario cam

Oduro and lovitz on wing

bradley as CDM

TFC07
07-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Osario needs to play as a CAM and run the 4-1-2-1-2 formation

Defoe and gilberto up top

Osario cam

Oduro and lovitz on wing

bradley as CDM

Rather have Jackson than Lovitz who's bit overrated on here. But reality is that we need to sign legit winger.

Besides that, I agree with you.

OgtheDim
07-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Bradley will never be happy being a CDM. And watching him tackle tonight compared to Warner, I don't want him there. He played more box to box tonight. Could do with a second striker who can get into space. Moore runs channels but doesn't pull defenders around enough.

Shakes McQueen
07-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Bradley will never be happy being a CDM. And watching him tackle tonight compared to Warner, I don't want him there. He played more box to box tonight. Could do with a second striker who can get into space. Moore runs channels but doesn't pull defenders around enough.

Bradley is wasted as a traditional CDM. Box-to-box is his specialty.

This was a forgettable game. 1 point. Whatever. Next!

Still Kicking
07-16-2014, 11:11 PM
I can't quite put my finger on why I have this feeling, but there seems to be a disconnect between Defoe and Bradley and the TFC fans in the stadium. As if they have not yet been embraced by TFC fans. No songs from RPB, no signage or banners. I think Bradley is bound to feel this drop off from the zeal of his fellow Americans in Brazil, all hoping to pull off something big, and the general meh of being back in Toronto. TFC fans may have earned their general "show me" attitude, but something is missing...

nlsanand
07-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Couple of points, our PK looks like a better call on the replay than it did at the stadium. Jackson did well today, but I gotta be honest I really don't like his playing style (doesn't seem to have control of his body). The Vancouver goal was primarily Bloom's fault, he attacked the ball when there was coverage there and that allowed Vancouver player ages to make the cross. I'm sorry he's injured though obviously. Stadium was pretty packed especially given it was a Wednesday.

SKB
07-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Bloom has not torn his ACL. It appears to be an MCL injury. Hopefully a sprain?

speckles
07-16-2014, 11:41 PM
The team is playing better, just wish they picked up a few more opportunities, good form for us now for us is converting losses to draws rather than converting to wins...more often than not. Losing our games in hand advantage slowly but surely....

boozilla
07-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Bradley was a non-factor. Needs to suck up the WC exit and play for TFC.

Richard
07-17-2014, 12:04 AM
What he needs is a two week vacation, go to a spa, and spend some time with the family.

ag futbol
07-17-2014, 12:11 AM
What he needs is a two week vacation, go to a spa, and spend some time with the family.
Yeah I think that's really the bottom line here. Although, we've yet to find the best way to organize this group and get the most of everyone.

Shakes McQueen
07-17-2014, 12:15 AM
I'm kind of surprised they pressed him back into service so quickly - I hope it was because he insisted on it, and not because the team did. Tonight probably should have been his first game back, at the earliest.

Tony Santiago
07-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Bradley played well. What game were you watching?

Sorry, this was for boozilla or anyone else who seemed to not be watching the game.

Bradley was solid all game long.

reggie
07-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Bradley and Warner had a good game...but we are still missing that cutting edge around the box.im shocked Defoe has 11 goals,with the lack of service he gets.we need another RB if Bloom is injured,that Warner trade for Issey doesn't look so bad does it?
the crowd was so blah last night.

Abou Sky
07-17-2014, 08:57 AM
I thought that at least 112 sounded really great.

Couple of times we had the top half and bottom half singing different lyrics, but both were actually still in time to the drums which was great.

Fort York Redcoat
07-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Bradley and Warner had a good game...but we are still missing that cutting edge around the box.im shocked Defoe has 11 goals,with the lack of service he gets.we need another RB if Bloom is injured,that Warner trade for Issey doesn't look so bad does it?
the crowd was so blah last night.

Warner is a workhorse but never stands out for me. Issey has 2 goals for us this season as we still complain/worry about where ELSE goals will come from. You can sell me on Warner in a game or 2 if he keeps up his workrate but it'll take a lot longer to convince me the trade worked out for the best.

OgtheDim
07-17-2014, 09:17 AM
...the crowd was so blah last night.

Funny crowd. Like nobody got a decent night's sleep the night before.

A lot of VCWC shirts in the stands, some on people who I know wear red the rest of the season. Felt like a Rider game vs the Argos at the Dome. Between that and more latecomers then usual due to the traffic, and it took a while to get started. Cagey midfield clashes don't get people jumping either (although I love that sort of stuff)

Little of the usual stomping from the West stands. Heard the choir from 111-112 well and clear. Bit of noise from 117 as well.

That having been said, watching Laba & Morales vs. Bradley & Warner was a treat.

Borga
07-17-2014, 09:23 AM
My observations from last night:
- Definitely lacking in linking the midfield to Defoe. Lots of "kick the ball towards Defoe and hope he does something"
- Jackson seemed intent all night on taking on 2-3 players then diving for the foul - frustrating to watch, but it worked at least once anyway
- I too made the observation that Henry was due to give up a PK after he made that nice sliding tackle. Didn't happen, though a couple times it looked like he was treating the ball like a grenade
- Kings in the North were trying really hard to get things going in 127 but there didn't seem to be a lot of buy-in
- I thought Bradley was fine. Made some nice incisive passes to get the ball moving forward

Fort York Redcoat
07-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Bradley was a non-factor. Needs to suck up the WC exit and play for TFC.

Bradley played well.

Bradley was solid all game long.

I thought he wasn't his best but was definitely contributing throughout the match. Especially the first half short passing with Oso.

BuSaPuNk
07-17-2014, 09:27 AM
I can't quite put my finger on why I have this feeling, but there seems to be a disconnect between Defoe and Bradley and the TFC fans in the stadium. As if they have not yet been embraced by TFC fans. No songs from RPB, no signage or banners. I think Bradley is bound to feel this drop off from the zeal of his fellow Americans in Brazil, all hoping to pull off something big, and the general meh of being back in Toronto. TFC fans may have earned their general "show me" attitude, but something is missing...

Bradley and Defoe have had two sticks in the bunker this year. Bradley has the Yankee general chant and Defoe gets the Muppets theme when we scores.

Not sure if your close enough to hear it but their there. And they have been embraced.

Canary10
07-17-2014, 09:30 AM
There are a lot of speedy players on that team. Think we did well controlling the midfield and forcing them to knock the ball around instead of playing the direct style they prefer. They definitely weren't able to play to their strengths. Too bad we had another moment of stupidity at the back. Looked like that should have been covered - lots of bodies in there to deal with the cross. Oh well, I'll take the point. Weird that a lot of the teams we have games in hand on also played last night...

KRO
07-17-2014, 09:41 AM
I really enjoyed the game last night despite not getting 3 pts. We're close to being a really good team for the first time in 7+ years.

Some of the passing sequences were excellent. There was one passage of play where we were trapped in the RB corner but played our way out with short passes and after a couple of great longer passes made a good chance at the other end. There's still a bit of chemistry missing in the final third but I'm seeing improvement with every game.

That was the first full game that Bradley and Warner played together. They started slow but took over the midfield as the game went on. Warner was my man of the match. The Warner for Issey trade was a great bit of business.

ManUtd4ever
07-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Bradley was the best player on the pitch from my vantage point. Warner continues to impress as well.

Fort York Redcoat
07-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Yeah I don't see this at all. Maybe the rest of the stadium but I still hear a bigger applause for those 2 names in the starting lineup than anyone else.

Last night the Yankee General sounded better and Defoe's muppett song was louder than ever. I don't expect the entire stadium to catch onto it immediately but I'm pretty sure those players feel the love.

gdg_9
07-17-2014, 09:54 AM
I brought a visiting German colleague to his first MLS game last night.
I always find it interesting to see the reactions from people who are used to different leagues around the world
(this guy was a Schalke SSH).

He was actually pretty impressed with BMO and TFC, compared to the typical bashing of North American soccer he had always heard.

In particular, he kept mentioning two players (https://www.google.ca/search?client=firefox-a&hs=owT&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&q=Schalke&spell=1&sa=X&ei=I-DHU7WCIojb7AaFwoHQDg&ved=0CBsQvwUoAA)... First (obviously) Bradley, and second Henry. He was very impressed with Henry, and was surprised when I told him he was a local talent and only 21.

It's kind of refreshing to hear that from an outsider.
I think we sometimes forget just how good Henry is considering how young he still is (probably partly because he's been with us for so long already).

brad
07-17-2014, 09:58 AM
I always find it interesting to see the reactions from people who are used to different leagues around the world

He was actually pretty impressed with BMO and TFC, compared to the typical bashing of North American soccer he had always heard.

In particular, he kept mentioning two players... First (obviously) Bradley, and second Henry. He was very impressed with Henry, and was surprised when I told him he was a local talent and only 21.

I think we sometimes forget just how good Henry is considering how young he still is (probably partly because he's been with us for so long already).

I also think the focus tends to be on his mistakes more than his qualities. But young players make mistakes. If he cuts those down as he matures he will be a very good player.

Derko
07-17-2014, 10:00 AM
I thought Bradley and Jackson, seemed on the same page for at least the first half.
Gilberto needs to play more games, and more than the last 15 minutes, maybe the entire second half, I like Moore, but he seemed not very effective after the 50th minute.
I would also like to see a bit more of Lovitz.

gdg_9
07-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Yeah I don't see this at all. Maybe the rest of the stadium but I still hear a bigger applause for those 2 names in the starting lineup than anyone else.

Last night the Yankee General sounded better and Defoe's muppett song was louder than ever. I don't expect the entire stadium to catch onto it immediately but I'm pretty sure those players feel the love.

I'm normally in the top-half of 113, and I've never been able to clearly hear those two songs... Last night I was in the top half of 112, and definitely heard them this time, but still not quite loud/clear enough to be able to pick it up and join in on the Yankee General.

Give it time, and I think they will spread and catch on - especially the Defoe Muppet song if it keeps going after every goal he scores (and also since it's such a damn catchy tune!).

OfficeGuy
07-17-2014, 10:04 AM
I also think the focus tends to be on his mistakes more than his qualities. But young players make mistakes. If he cuts those down as he matures he will be a very good player.

Henry has definitely picked up his game and imposing his physical presence.

OgtheDim
07-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Anybody got a Vine of that double move Henry made in the first half to get around their two charging strikers? Scariest shit I've seen by a CB in a long time.

Fort York Redcoat
07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
I'm normally in the top-half of 113, and I've never been able to clearly hear those two songs... Last night I was in the top half of 112, and definitely heard them this time, but still not quite loud/clear enough to be able to pick it up and join in on the Yankee General.

Give it time, and I think they will spread and catch on - especially the Defoe Muppet song if it keeps going after every goal he scores (and also since it's such a damn catchy tune!).

I love seeing this. Anyone who can't quite hear but keeps at it is tops in my book! With more like this we'll keep getting stronger and stronger! Cheers!

hulkrogan
07-17-2014, 03:44 PM
I know his numbers may not be where we all hoped, but this team is much more offensively dangerous with Gilberto on the field. I hope he's fit enough and gets the opportunity for a full game soon.

There is lots of talk about lack of service and long balling to Defoe, and I agree. When Gilberto is on the field, this gets way better. He comes back really deep and provides a great link to Defoe. His distribution has looked excellent, as has his work rate. Really all that is left is the finishing, and if that comes I see this guy easily being one of our best players, as he should be.

Red CB Toronto
07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
What a night, the Ford nation circus rolled into BMO Field. Always funny to see the crowd react to him.

OgtheDim
07-17-2014, 04:09 PM
I had no idea he was there until I saw a note in the Globe article.

flamehawk
07-17-2014, 04:28 PM
What a night, the Ford nation circus rolled into BMO Field. Always funny to see the crowd react to him.

Saw a twitter post about it but didn't see him on the grounds. How did the crowd react? Hopefully not favourably.

trane
07-17-2014, 05:20 PM

In particular, he kept mentioning two players... First (obviously) Bradley, and second Henry. He was very impressed with Henry, and was surprised when I told him he was a local talent and only 21.

Henry, was really good last night, still a little aggresive, but he played like a big time CB.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Saw a twitter post about it but didn't see him on the grounds. How did the crowd react? Hopefully not favourably.

was wondering and hoping the same thing

habstfc
07-17-2014, 07:35 PM
I thought individually everyone played well but as a 11 man unit they were off for large stretches. Jackson could be so good if he went at defenders instead of trying to do his fancy footwork thus giving defenders time to ready themselves. Gilberto needs to start. Morales is good man. Give Vancouver another year or so and they will be contenders. Morales, Manneh, Koffie, Fernandez, Mattocks, Hurtado. WOW

That Douchebag Ford was there last night. My seats are in north end and he was taking photos before the game with other douchebags that for some reason want to have a photo with that clown. I notice he left at halftime.

Qman
07-17-2014, 09:54 PM
I thought individually everyone played well but as a 11 man unit they were off for large stretches. Jackson could be so good if he went at defenders instead of trying to do his fancy footwork thus giving defenders time to ready themselves. Gilberto needs to start. Morales is good man. Give Vancouver another year or so and they will be contenders. Morales, Manneh, Koffie, Fernandez, Mattocks, Hurtado. WOW

That Douchebag Ford was there last night. My seats are in north end and he was taking photos before the game with other douchebags that for some reason want to have a photo with that clown. I notice he left at halftime.

Henry saved our a** last night with athletic ability and pace. Vancouver has some really good speed up front.

Hamilton_Red
07-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Its been a pleasure to watch Henry develop this season. He started out rank awfull - but has really settled in to being a good CB.