PDA

View Full Version : TFC2 / farm club

Qman
07-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Did anyone see the news for Whitecaps2 playing out of a 3000 seat stadium in suburban Vancouver in the USL. Don't see that working. They wont draw 1000 a game. Unless they are going to run at a loss as part of their residency program. I think the MLS reserve league is folding next year, I guess thats why they are doing it.

Anyone know what TFC is doing/planning?

prizby
07-14-2014, 08:24 PM
they have a renewable option on their partnership with Wilmington I believe

Qman
07-14-2014, 09:12 PM
they have a renewable option on their partnership with Wilmington I believe

I think Vancouver is copying the structure that the LA Galaxy have. Where they have a direct linkage from residency --> USL --> MLS First team. Run the same systems, coaching and development and allow player to develop up the organization to the first team. MLS reserves get playing time and top residency players graduate to play pro level USL.

Red CB Toronto
07-14-2014, 09:28 PM
I agree that having your own USL team integrated into a teams setup is a far better proposition than having a few players playing a away in a different city.

While having Quilan, Jordan and Manny play day in day out has been great, having a said USL training out of KIA under the Reds watchful eyes would offer far mored needed playing opportunities for say first teamers needing minutes, returning from injury etc.

It would also give a handful of academy kids some pro experience. You would also most likely sign at least 10 players to USL Pro contracts to help fill out the team and give it a regular presence of veteran experience.

prizby
07-14-2014, 10:49 PM
I think Vancouver is copying the structure that the LA Galaxy have. Where they have a direct linkage from residency --> USL --> MLS First team. Run the same systems, coaching and development and allow player to develop up the organization to the first team. MLS reserves get playing time and top residency players graduate to play pro level USL.

TFC tried to set something up with the Toronto Lynx (who would move to Hamilton and move up to USL-Pro) that would allow more players to integrate, but the Ti-Cat's owner was given first right to soccer played out of the new stadium there, so Hamilton rejected it

Red CB Toronto
07-14-2014, 11:15 PM
TFC tried to set something up with the Toronto Lynx (who would move to Hamilton and move up to USL-Pro) that would allow more players to integrate, but the Ti-Cat's owner was given first right to soccer played out of the new stadium there, so Hamilton rejected it

Yeh that was the case, as my understanding the Lynx would have been integrated into the TFC setup and would have been based out of KIA. LA Galaxy 2 is purely a player development thing for them, as they play most of their games at one of the side fields beside the Stub Hub Center. They have not monetized it for business and marketing purposes. I would be interested to see how a TFC entry would be positioned.

Shway
07-14-2014, 11:54 PM
I think for the development of this game in NA, every team should have a USL team.

You have to think what if we had this in place, some homegrowns like Stinson, Cordon, Makubuya, or even Lindsay remember him.

The current setup is make or break and that shouldn't be the case. I hope there is a Tfc II, with free entry for STH

OgtheDim
07-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Not sure where a TFC II team would play locally. USL Pro isn't going to go for a team played at KIA and BMO would cost too much.

Esther Shiner?

Pint
07-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Toss them at lamport and have them play Friday nights or 1pm games when we have 7pm home games.