PDA

View Full Version : Sightings and stories

molenshtain
07-11-2014, 12:05 PM
An all-purpose thread for personal sightings and stories of TFC players (or staff) in the real world, old or new.

My one contribution to this thread is that I sat across from Ashtone Morgan on the subway two days ago. Instead of shaking his hand and reminiscing on the fact that we went to the same high school, I froze and sat there with my tail between my legs, pretending to read my book while trying not to hyperventilate.

I'm sure the rest of you lot aren't nearly as cowardly as I am.

Fort York Redcoat
07-11-2014, 12:52 PM
An all-purpose thread for personal sightings and stories of TFC players (or staff) in the real world, old or new.

My one contribution to this thread is that I sat across my Ashtone Morgan on the subway two days ago. Instead of shaking his hand and reminiscing on the fact that we went to the same high-school, I froze and sat there with my tail between my legs, pretending to read my book while trying not to hyperventilate.

I'm sure the rest of you lot aren't nearly as cowardly as I am.

I went to high school with Jimmy B. We've talked several occasions about it, thanked him for his playing for TFC, Canada. Just let 'em know you appreciate them and aren't a stalker.g:D

prizby
07-11-2014, 01:37 PM
ran into Ryan Nelsen on the subway going down to Real Sports for the bloody big deal announcement in January; he has lots of interesting things to say; talked about everything from the club to his winery

Voodooman
07-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Played an exhibition game against TFC Academy couple years ago when Jimmy B. was the coach. Ball was near the touch line and one of my players went to keep it in and slid, saved the ball but took out Brennan. Go figure a bit of a scuffle happened there. Won't forget that, was pretty funny.

CommradePolski
07-11-2014, 02:52 PM
I bought David Edgar a beer in a kitchener pub.

Ive seen Bekker at the oakville go station a few times. Only talked to him once. He still needs a haircut.

lintberg
07-11-2014, 02:59 PM
I ran in to Danny Koevermans and Terry Dunfield at Boston Pizza a while back (quite a while back...LOL!). Also ran in to Danny again with his family at Marks Work Warehouse.

gmacpheetfc
07-11-2014, 03:22 PM
(Non TFC Related)
Louis Saha shagged my flat mate when I was at Birmingham Uni, classic Louis.

Brooker
07-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Kyle Bekker drunk and throwing chicken wings at people at Philthies in Oakville. Then he fell asleep on the bar. Ran into one of his family members not long after at the TFC/Roma game and they were pissed he wasn't getting enough playing time. They wondered why. :D

Stress
07-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Who was that bald guy who scored the winning goal in the Voyaguers cup at home a couple years ago? Saw him on the subway with his girlfriend once. She seemed to be a bit of a bitch to him. Pretty sure she was from Toronto.

Ran in to Henry at a Canada game last year when he was injured. Just quickly asked him how the injury was healing and wished him well. Was very cool and nice.

Saw Earnshaw get out of a cab at King and Spadina the morning after an away game (looked like he was coming straight from the airport). Didn't seem like he knew how the cross walk signals worked and he almost got hit by a few cars when he crossed.

Had dinner at Williams Landing after the final game last season. Damn near the whole team trickled in while I was eating.

I'm not one for taking flicks or chatting with celebs so I didn't really approach anyone other than Henry because I was genuinely wondering about the injury.

Jpexxx
07-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Same age as Bekker, and from Oakville so we have a ton of mutual friends. See him around Oakville every now and again. Just last week he walked out of the walk in clinic I was headed into.

A few days before Frei was traded I saw him walking down King St. I already knew the trade was coming thanks to these boards. Really wanted to stop him and thank him for his time here, but he was on the phone. Debated following him down the street but decided better of it.

After the St. Paddies weekend game in MTL last season returned and drank at the Irish Embassy and Jimmy Brennan was in there. Talked breifly and got a picture taken with him. Wish I was still wearing my jersey since it has his name on it.

Saw Jeremy Hall walking in the tunnel under the Go a few hours before a game last season. He is a pretty nice guy too.

Met a few guys at various events at Real Sports. Was there for the season opener vs Seattle and all the injured guys were there, so I got pictures with Dike, Hall, and Gilberto. Met Ashtone and Frei at one last season too.

Villa TFC
07-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Bumped into Eckersley and Ty Harden in Shoppers on King Street a couple of years ago. Just the nicest guys imaginable. Had a lovely chat. Eckersley absolutely loved Toronto and would have happily stayed here forever. Talked to Harden about his volunteering in Kenya. Great guy. Almost felt guilty for my opinions on the latter as a footballer. Almost.

It's great that so many of them have been seen on the subway. Says a lot about our city (I once saw a former Prime Minister on our subway)...or maybe that football doesn't pay much here!

eustacchio
07-11-2014, 04:12 PM
I used to see Eckersley a lot on Spadina.

reggie
07-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Who was that bald guy who scored the winning goal in the Voyaguers cup at home a couple years ago? Saw him on the subway with his girlfriend once. She seemed to be a bit of a bitch to him. Pretty sure she was from Toronto.

Ran in to Henry at a Canada game last year when he was injured. Just quickly asked him how the injury was healing and wished him well. Was very cool and nice.

Saw Earnshaw get out of a cab at King and Spadina the morning after an away game (looked like he was coming straight from the airport). Didn't seem like he knew how the cross walk signals worked and he almost got hit by a few cars when he crossed.

Had dinner at Williams Landing after the final game last season. Damn near the whole team trickled in while I was eating.

I'm not one for taking flicks or chatting with celebs so I didn't really approach anyone other than Henry because I was genuinely wondering about the injury.
the bald guy name started with the letters ASS,that all I remember.lol

Richard
07-11-2014, 04:25 PM
the bald guy name started with the letters ASS,that all I remember.lol

Mikael-David Youri Yourassowsky

reggie
07-11-2014, 04:35 PM

lol...that's the guy...we called him YOURASS:D

molenshtain
07-11-2014, 04:40 PM

Worst. Left-back. Ever.

right behind Danleigh Borman.

And Ravis Hscanovics.

Stress
07-11-2014, 04:41 PM
lol...that's the guy...we called him YOURASS:D

yes..that's him alright. Thanks

RealG-TFC
07-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Was by Dundas and University once and I saw Eckersley step out of a van and hail a can. Sure enough Kocic was driving the van.

0bl1vious
07-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Ran into Frings and Mariner on separate occasions in the lobby of the Telus Tower. Said a quick hello with a hand shake and was on my way. I'm sure they get stopped all the time so I didn't want to be a bother.

This was summer 20...12? I think.

khso11
07-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Ran into Maicon Santos at the adidas store across from Dundas Sq. a few years back, seems like he was taking the equipment manager's job that day. Nice guy, took a pic and wished him luck for the game on the next day.

Also ran into Frei and Henry in 2012 at the Exhibition station tunnel when they were labeled as "injured" by Paul Mariner. Very nice guys. Took a pic with them.

Bumped into Julio Cesar and his family during the raptors playoff in front of the ACC 2 times, nice guy, took a pic and wished him luck for the world cup.

Saw Emery Welshman at Square One after he was released by TFC this year, didn't manage to talk to him.

Blixa
07-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Saw Mo Johnston in the Beaches when he was still a coach.

Brooker
07-12-2014, 01:41 AM
Saw Mo Johnston in the Beaches when he was still a coach.

I wonder if MoJo still lives here. It's as if he just ceased to exist.

tfcleeds
07-12-2014, 05:54 AM
Met Joe Bendik at the Office Pub during the USA-Ghana match during this World Cup.

Pookie
07-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Back in the days they had pub crawls where you could meet players without needing a $150 dinner ticket, the experience was great.

Cann, Serioux, Brennan, Wynne, Gala, Edwards, Conway, Serioux, Dichio, Attakora and many others all made their way to chat with our family. Giving soccer advice to my kids which has been invaluable.

Met Preki in a hotel prior to a game early in his season. I wished him luck, he said thanks we will need it. Should have known then it was going to be a long season.

Next morning Mike Toshack, then goal keeping coach apologized for the game and said they really appreciated our collective support.

prizby
07-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Met Preki in a hotel prior to a game early in his season. I wished him luck, he said thanks we will need it. Should have known then it was going to be a long season.

Next morning Mike Toshack, then goal keeping coach apologized for the game and said they really appreciated our collective support.

New England game?

brad
07-12-2014, 10:48 AM
I used to see players all the time when I lived downtown. Had several in my building over the years. Dunavant lived there - he was a really nice guy. Loved it here and was gutted when he was traded. Soolsma was also there - he used to hang out at the pool all the time and was a bit of a dick.

crgal
07-12-2014, 01:52 PM
ran into Silva one time on the Bathurst street car back in 2012. He was with a friend I didn't recognize. Just introduced myself and mentioned that I thought he was having a great season.

also ran into Soolsma one time after a game as he was about to bike home on a bike share. Was gracious enough to sign an autograph for my two sons

Doucet3
07-13-2014, 04:08 AM
Was working at Target in Welland (where i live) and seen a little lad running around with a Nelsen QPR jersey, thought it was pretty cool, started chatting up his mum nice English lady. Well i get to talking about TFC and the RPB and how Nelsen was actually our coach … and as she informed me her husband and the young lads father lol. Well we got to chit chatting about everything from our SG to who was Ryan targeting in the summer for a Bloody Big Deal signing. Very nice lady and the younging was a cute kid.

CommradePolski
07-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Oh yea! I forgot. I saw Soolsma at the Guvernment one time. He got denied by a girl with big knockers.

Globetrotter
07-13-2014, 03:37 PM
I was walking by by Jack Astors (Uni/front) and Aron Winters walked right by me.
I was walking by BMO (non game day) and De Guzman rod his bicycle by me.
I was walking out of a building on Uni Ave one morning and Chad Barrett was riding his bike (BMX?) on the sidewalk.

Don't get me wrong, I do own a car...

mook-life
07-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Celebrity spotting!!! I just saw wowza on the 38 and he was pretty dreamy my balls were tingling

Doucet3
07-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Celebrity spotting!!! I just saw wowza on the 38 and he was pretty dreamy my balls were tingling Bahahahahaah best sighting yet

C.Ronaldo
07-14-2014, 10:22 AM
saw Danny with his fmaily at ikea when he first got to Toronto.

Saw Tim L's daughter on the west go train after the game. Something tells me Tim lives out in the nicer parts of Oakville

cmonyoureds
07-14-2014, 10:31 AM
I was in the hotel at Foxborough for the New England games few years ago.
Got on the elevator with Chad Barrett and a couple youth players.
Did the old "wonder what's behind this door" on the main floor and walked straight into the entire team pre-game meal and flip chart game day discussion.
Couldn't bring myself to say "sorry I'm late" and pull up a chair though.....

prizby
07-14-2014, 10:31 AM
saw Danny with his fmaily at ikea when he first got to Toronto.

Saw Tim L's daughter on the west go train after the game. Something tells me Tim lives out in the nicer parts of Oakville

Tim lives in in Yorkville

Red Skies At Night
07-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Shortly after Frings arrived here I ran into him and his family (wife and kids) walking back from grocery store downtown Toronto. Finally got to put my 5 years of high school german to use. They seemed genuinely touched by my german version of welcome to Toronto...

Then just prior to the end of carver's reign I saw him and the coaching staff walk past me on the westbound go platform at exhibition. Even though I was wearing a TFC jacket all of them walked by and ignored me completely. I thought they could at least nod or say hello (I was the only other person on the platform). So I decided to go over and introduce myself. Tapped carver on the shoulder and offered my hand. As he shook it (without so much as a hello or a smile) I said to him "Despite what all the other fans think I think you're doing an ok job". He frowned, and I walked away smiling to myself, thinking "Don't let the door hit you on the way out John".

C.Ronaldo
07-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Tim lives in in Yorkville

Thanks

that cements my theory, she was stalking me :)

prizby
07-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks

that cements my theory, she was stalking me :)

maybe she and troy brodie live in Oakville?

Cashcleaner
07-14-2014, 11:30 AM
I think I've mentioned before that David Guzman now works at the same facility as I do (though a different shift). I had the pleasure of meeting quite a few guys when TFC was holding the pub crawls a few years back. Met Brennan and Dichio, but honestly, I think I had the best and longest conversation with Andrea Lombardo. Just talked about all sorts of stuff, really. Really nice guy.

Ran into Carver at Union Station but didn't have a chance to talk with him.

molenshtain
07-14-2014, 11:37 AM
I think I've mentioned before that David Guzman now works at the same facility as I do (though a different shift). I had the pleasure of meeting quite a few guys when TFC was holding the pub crawls a few years back. Met Brennan and Dichio, but honestly, I think I had the best and longest conversation with Andrea Lombardo. Just talked about all sorts of stuff, really. Really nice guy.

Ran into Carver at Union Station but didn't have a chance to talk with him.

Andrea is now working in the admissions office at either Ryerson or York, I can't remember. But yeah, I second the notion that he's a really nice guy.

hulkrogan
07-14-2014, 11:38 AM
I was wearing my jersey all over Portland when getting to see my first live TFC game last year, and I heard a "nice shirt" while checking out the viewpoint by the hospital. It turns out it was Jeremy Hall's mom, cousin, brother and girlfriend. They were all really nice people and thought it was pretty cool we travelled down to see the game, and laughed their heads off when I asked for a photo with them... I think it was their first encounter with near-celebrity status g:D

TFC07
07-14-2014, 12:54 PM
My list:

- Henry and Matt Stinson at Union Station (probably coming back from Raptors game) couple of years ago
- Ryan Nelsen while walking back to Union Station from Real Sports bar this year
- Yourassowsky at Dundas square
- Soolsma riding his bike around exhibition place area

Non-TFC:
Just last Saturday, Craig Forest and John Herdman walking to CBC building. I have to say Forest is really tall guy while Herdman is really short. They looked awkward walking beside each other.

KRO
07-14-2014, 12:59 PM
My story goes back to the first year - 2007. My wife and I were an Italian Restaurant on College on the Saturday night of the Taste of Little Italy. Andy Boyens walked past us and as TFC had a home game the next day I said "What are you doing out this late on the night before a game?" We had a chat and about 10 minutes later he brought his girlfriend over and said "This is the guy who recognized me". Obviously it was rare event for him! I wonder what he's doing now.

Red Skies At Night
07-14-2014, 01:01 PM
And 1 more... near the end of Winter's reign (might have been after the 7th or 8th loss in that 0-9 run) I saw him outside the garmin hotel at Maple Leaf Square having a smoke. So I bummed a light off him, he was in no mood for talking though. Was a bit surprised to see him smoking, but then realized he's European... and it looked like the pressure was getting to him.

Phil
07-14-2014, 01:12 PM
And 1 more... near the end of Winter's reign (might have been after the 7th or 8th loss in that 0-9 run) I saw him outside the garmin hotel at Maple Leaf Square having a smoke. So I bummed a light off him, he was in no mood for talking though. Was a bit surprised to see him smoking, but then realized he's European... and it looked like the pressure was getting to him.

Winter was a pretty heavy smoker, he had an ash tray installed at KIA on his balconey.

He was pretty discreet about it post game, always tucked the cigarette as he smoked.

gdg_9
07-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Saw Winter in the bar at Hotel Germain in Maple Leafs square.
A friend I was with is dating a guy from Netherlands, so I told her she should go get his autograph... that her bf would be impressed.
Winter was friendly, asked her name, and signed the jersey "To Lisa...".
Problem was, she was just borrowing the jersey from a friend (a guy NOT named Lisa!)

gdg_9
07-14-2014, 01:23 PM
Saw Mariner getting out of a limo at the Marriot on King one cold winter evening... and yes, he WAS wearing shorts!

gdg_9
07-14-2014, 01:27 PM
I've seen players at Williams Landing a few times.
Seen Bendik, Morgan, Henry, Bekker and a few others there.

Most memorable was the time Bekker got in a scuffle with some random guys... shoving, tables tipped, drinks smashed etc.
But cooler heads prevailed before any punches were thrown.

gdg_9
07-14-2014, 01:31 PM
One last sighting that stands out was chatting with Dike during the first game viewing party at RealSports this year (Gilberto, Hall and Boss were also there).

But Dike seemed pretty crushed about being stuck there in a walking boot instead of playing with the team.
I really felt bad for the guy!

jabbronies
07-14-2014, 01:35 PM
- Danny Koevermans lived down the street from me. Ran into him a bunch of times. Was always willing to stop for chat. Very cool dude that way.

- Danny Dichio sat beside me at the CNE food building after a match with his kids. I'm usually against starting up a convo with these guys when they are with their families, but he started the convo with me, so a quick chat was appropriate in this situation. Another cool dude willing to have a quick chat with a fan.

- Saw Robert Earnshaw when he first arrived in Toronto walking across King Street. I only recognized him as he passed by. I yelled his name and he turned around and chatted for a minute. Nice guy.

- Met Quincy Amerikwa at a TFC pub crawl. Spoke with him for like 20 minutes about a bunch of stuff. Apparently he doesn't follow any other soccer leagues. Just MLS. Very friendly.

RoyalRed
07-14-2014, 02:45 PM
1. Saw Danny Gargan after one game while having a pint with the lady at the Foggy Dew. Gargan rode by on his bike and I yelled "Ey Danny!" and he gave me a wave
2. Adrian Cann lived down the street from me, saw him all the time with his lady till he moved. Talked with him after he broke his nose.
3. Saw Frei at the Canadian Tire at Leslie/Lakeshore several years back. Had a quick chat.
4. Came back to my BMO seat at halftime of the MLS Cup final to see Chad Barrett, his dad, Nana Attakora, Maicon Santos and a bunch of other players had taken over our empty patch of seats. They of course let us have them back and we sat next to them for the rest of the match.
5. Saw Robbie Earnshaw (after his star had crested at TFC) at that restaurant in the lobby of the Bell TIFF Lightbox. Not sure what it's called.
6. Was flying out to Belize and saw Allan Gordon at Pearson. He was flying out to SJ after we shipped him there. He told me a really sad story about how the team under Winter was suffering. Speaking of Winter...
7. The year he was in charge, he called me on Remembrance Day to ask if I was renewing season tickets. I said no, and then told him what it'll take (back then, it was overhauling the back line and getting a strong CAM/forward pairing. Sound familiar?). He thanked me for his input and went on his merry way.

flamehawk
07-14-2014, 03:44 PM
1. Saw Dasovic leaving alone from Varsity Stadium (I think he was there to watch the CIS championships) in a TFC coat, but I was too shy to introduce myself.

2. I was visiting family in Hong Kong and decided to get tickets to the annual Hong Kong Soccer Sevens - seven-a-side soccer made up of youth teams, and master's teams. Much to my surprise, Ajax was participating and sure enough Aron Winter was part of the team. As they walked out into the pitch, I ran down to greet him and to ask for a photo. I said hi, shook his hand, but as soon as I mentioned "I am a TFC fan", he made a b-line for the bench before I could say ".. I thought you should've stayed". I guess he assumed I was angry at him and was there to give him crap. I still really wanted a photo though, and made my girlfriend go ask him for one and did a bait and switch after the game lol.

3. I met Jordan Hamilton and Jeremy Hall at one of those pre-game things early in the season. I didn't get much chance to say much to ?Hamilton other than that I Was excited to see him on the pitch. But as others have commented about Hall, he was really nice and spent some time to chat about his recovery from his injury.