PDA

View Full Version : Seven Ways To Grow Soccer In The U.S.

jabbronies
07-03-2014, 09:07 AM
I think you can easily swap "U.S." with "Canada" on most of these tidbits and it would still be very relevant:

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-has-seven-ways-to-grow-soccer-in-the-u-1599078879?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebo ok&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Fort York Redcoat
07-03-2014, 09:19 AM
I think you can easily swap "U.S." with "Canada" on most of these tidbits and it would still be very relevant:

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-has-seven-ways-to-grow-soccer-in-the-u-1599078879?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebo ok&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I read "timbits".

TFC07
07-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Stupid points, but it may work for Americans though.

Canadians don't mind supporting soccer while have foreign announcers and have traditional soccer names. I am assuming imitating European fandom means chanting and tifos which is stupid since it's part of supporters culture.

So I don't think this article applies to Canadians that much.

jabbronies
07-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Stupid points, but it may work for Americans though.

Canadians don't mind supporting soccer while have foreign announcers and have traditional soccer names. I am assuming imitating European fandom means chanting and tifos which is stupid since it's part of supporters culture.

So I don't think this article applies to Canadians that much.

I agree with the "imitating European fandom" comment, but I would extend that to South American fandom as well. You read a lot of discussions on this board on how things are done in this country and that. At the end of the day we do need to come up with our own way of supporting our club and it will and should be unique to our city.

I think coming up with our own chants and songs that relate to us as Canadians is important as well. Right now we take a lot of traditional song from other countries. At what point will we look at our own cultural history and start pulling songs and chants from that?

I wouldn't change it now, but the name Toronto FC is a farce. Most references in our Canadian society to the sport use the word "Soccer". We have a National Soccer Stadium; A Canadian Soccer Association; All broadcasters refer to it as Soccer. You sign your kids up for Soccer camps. Even Toronto FC can't use the word in their marketing.

IMO - The "Stop being a shit head" comment can be used for a lot of supporters in this city. Don't even get me started on that one.

FIFA is a corrupt shit show who would have us play from August to April if they had their way.

Fort York Redcoat
07-03-2014, 10:08 AM
A Canadian Soccer Association

Canadian Association Football Association. Love it.

jabbronies
07-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Canadian Association Football Association. Love it.

Major League Soccer Soccer dot com

MKR
07-03-2014, 10:41 AM
those 7 points were terrible. and a poor attempt at humour.

The guy basically makes it out as passionate fans and a more vocal fan environment is what is hurting soccer's popularity. Excuse me? That's one of the things that's making soccer more popular. Doing it the north american/soccer mom way in the past and even in the earlier years of the MLS wasn't exactly setting the world on fire.

An american announcer? LOL

Soccer needs a popluar video game? Well i guess that part is true.... I can't think of any soccer video games that anyone plays. There's one i heard of, but the name escapes me.

the biggest way for soccer to grow in this country (and in North America) is for media to get behind it and treat it as if it was one of the 'big leagues'. By that i mean television + radio coverage and analysis beyond that of gol TV.

jabbronies
07-03-2014, 11:05 AM
As I said in the original post. These are tidbits of things, not really deal breakers.

I do agree with getting better announcers. Some of those guys doing MLS broadcasts are horrible to listen to.

The guy basically makes it out as passionate fans and a more vocal fan environment is what is hurting soccer's popularity. Excuse me? That's one of the things that's making soccer more popular. Doing it the north american/soccer mom way in the past and even in the earlier years of the MLS wasn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Soccer needs a popluar video game? Well i guess that part is true.... I can't think of any soccer video games that anyone plays. There's one i heard of, but the name escapes me.

the biggest way for soccer to grow in this country (and in North America) is for media to get behind it and treat it as if it was one of the 'big leagues'. By that i mean television + radio coverage and analysis beyond that of gol TV.

This is the most obvious. You know how many games I have to stream in order to watch TFC play. Not everyone has Sportsnet1 and GolTV. Games should be on main stations only. Otherwise people won't make the effort to watch it.

MartinUtd
07-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Don't really care for his list and I suspect this part "Have as little to do with FIFA as possible" is more to do with that anti-UN political isolation bent that the American's always seem to be on. As for the whole self image thing (stop trying to be European, "mystical experiences" and the need for local announcers) sounds more like they're pissed off at being late to the party, therefore it sucks. Personally I don't think any of this will help, but it makes good buzzfeedesq fodder.

TFC07
07-03-2014, 11:37 AM
I agree with the "imitating European fandom" comment, but I would extend that to South American fandom as well. You read a lot of discussions on this board on how things are done in this country and that. At the end of the day we do need to come up with our own way of supporting our club and it will and should be unique to our city.

I think coming up with our own chants and songs that relate to us as Canadians is important as well. Right now we take a lot of traditional song from other countries. At what point will we look at our own cultural history and start pulling songs and chants from that?

I wouldn't change it now, but the name Toronto FC is a farce. Most references in our Canadian society to the sport use the word "Soccer". We have a National Soccer Stadium; A Canadian Soccer Association; All broadcasters refer to it as Soccer. You sign your kids up for Soccer camps. Even Toronto FC can't use the word in their marketing.

IMO - The "Stop being a shit head" comment can be used for a lot of supporters in this city. Don't even get me started on that one.

FIFA is a corrupt shit show who would have us play from August to April if they had their way.

I am not sure if you have notice, but the term "football" is often being used a lot lately in the media especially during World Cup (especially by former professional players like Craig Forest).

Chants? Most chants are usually copied, but however, we do have chants that are different from Europe and South America even though it might be consider corny (Example: Let's Go *insert team*).

brad
07-03-2014, 12:55 PM

I agree 100% - especially the bolded part. In the past especially (and to a certain extent now) there has been too much preoccupation on what "authentic support is and isn't" vs letting things grow organically. There has been a resistance in a lot of quarters to letting North American style of support in because "that's not what you do at a football match". To me, that's all a bit silly and contrived. Especially when it was targeted at stuff like the wave (which was started in Mexico '86, has been done at every world cup I have watched, including this years).

jabbronies
07-03-2014, 01:03 PM
I am not sure if you have notice, but the term "football" is often being used a lot lately in the media especially during World Cup (especially by former professional players like Craig Forest).

Which is funny because he co-hosts a show called "Soccer Central"
He did play in England for a number of years so I can see how it became a part of his vocabulary.

Chants? Most chants are usually copied, but however, we do have chants that are different from Europe and South America even though it might be consider corny (Example: Let's Go *insert team*).

Ya North american chants are lame. That's not what I'm talking about. Not ripping other chants from North american sports. I'm talking about coming up with Canadian chants using Canadian songs.

This is a great Canadian chant:
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34908-Beat-the-impact-(alhouette)

This is a really bad example, but this song was a part of my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ekqsHP9Sck

But the idea of taking something Canadian like this or a Stompin Tom Connors Song or the fucking Polka Dot Door song or some fun shit like that and making a chant from it would be considered unique and Canadian:

TFC07
07-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Which is funny because he co-hosts a show called "Soccer Central"
He did play in England for a number of years so I can see how it became a part of his vocabulary.

He isn't only one though. Even some of people who never played soccer professionally call it football and use other football terms like "pitch". Point is that these terms are used in media openly and isn't a big deal to viewers.

Ya North american chants are lame. That's not what I'm talking about. Not ripping other chants from North american sports. I'm talking about coming up with Canadian chants using Canadian songs.

That will only happen if we have more pro soccer teams in the country where that type of chanting is encourage. I don't see it happening with other sports in this country.

james
07-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Anything you chant at MLS games that isn't "Go Team Go" or "Lets Go *** clap clap clap" can be directed at following European culture because singing and chanting just hasn't seemed to really be part of the game experience in NBA, NFL, CFL, NHL or MLB. The singing and chanting to me has actually gown as far as Ultras/ Barra Bravas / and supporters culture. You see it in places like Australia, Japan, Indonessia, Egypt, all corners of the world really, much like the sport soccer, the supporting culture has become very much a World culture rather then just a European culture.

OgtheDim
07-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Olbermann is a known "I hate soccer" guy.

This is the ideas of a football guy. An old white one at that.

He doesn't like what he sees and complains about it - its his schtick.

Sport is passing him by.

james
07-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Completely true. For some people (but not the sole reason) the reason MLS is growing is actually because it is different from the traditional USA type of sporting atmosphere.

Red CB Toronto
07-03-2014, 08:02 PM
To think that only 30 years ago in the mid 1980s, North American broadcasting marketing types were predicting that the future of soccer in North America was the indoor game when the MISL was at it peak. Soccer/football has come along way but still has some steps to take.

tfcleeds
07-03-2014, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't change it now, but the name Toronto FC is a farce.

You have to admit, Toronto FC is a heck of a lot better than "Inter Toronto" or some of the other crappy names that were being bandied about in 2006.

Totally agreed on FIFA though. :)

tfcleeds
07-03-2014, 08:11 PM

There was a cringe-worthy article in the Wall Street Journal the other day (still not sure if it was in jest or not) giving soccer moms all the credit for the growing popularity of the USMNT. Uggghhh.

Red CB Toronto
07-03-2014, 09:09 PM
There was a cringe-worthy article in the Wall Street Journal the other day (still not sure if it was in jest or not) giving soccer moms all the credit for the growing popularity of the USMNT. Uggghhh.

That notion makes me laugh, nothing against anyone's mother but supporters involvement has played the biggest part, the growth of the American Outlaws and the events they put on around games has played a huge part in making it what it is today.

Gringo Starr
07-03-2014, 10:15 PM
There was a tree planters song based on the log drivers waltz a few years ago that was pretty awesome. The McMichael had the video playing on a loop and it was one of the more popular art pieces at the time, would love to see some cheesy cool Canadiana down at BMO

james
07-04-2014, 01:26 AM

hahaha. To many people in USA/Canada write articles about soccer without knowing enough about the sport, they often only ever herd of the World Cup or Euro Cup and don't even know there are pro leagues world wide, its actually shocking. From my experience Premiership on TV probably had one of the biggest growth in getting people involved in USA/Canada , fan culture is also up there for me. I played soccer as a kid, but I didn't actually follow it as a fan until I was about 18, NHL was on strike in 2004 and I went to visit family in England. Went to a game, and wow, the atmosphere was something I never seen before. Watching premiership back home in Canada was how I followed and got involved, and after going to a Leafs game in 2006 and almost got thrown out for standing up to much and being to loud to those around me I then realized as a fan Leafs games weren't for me any more. I went to 3 more games in England that year, and then was so happy when TFC arrived in 2007. Nothing to do with soccer moms. Not to say soccer moms had no role in some kids getting involved competitively in soccer in many cases most soccer moms and dad's probably don't take the sport to serious, its often treated as a thing to do in the summer.

C.Ronaldo
07-04-2014, 09:48 AM
hahaha. To many people in USA/Canada write articles about soccer without knowing enough about the sport, they often only ever herd of the World Cup or Euro Cup and don't even know there are pro leagues world wide, its actually shocking. From my experience Premiership on TV probably had one of the biggest growth in getting people involved in USA/Canada , fan culture is also up there for me. I played soccer as a kid, but I didn't actually follow it as a fan until I was about 18, NHL was on strike in 2004 and I went to visit family in England. Went to a game, and wow, the atmosphere was something I never seen before. Watching premiership back home in Canada was how I followed and got involved, and after going to a Leafs game in 2006 and almost got thrown out for standing up to much and being to loud to those around me I then realized as a fan Leafs games weren't for me any more. I went to 3 more games in England that year, and then was so happy when TFC arrived in 2007. Nothing to do with soccer moms. Not to say soccer moms had no role in some kids getting involved competitively in soccer in many cases most soccer moms and dad's probably don't take the sport to serious, its often treated as a thing to do in the summer.

Same here, the NHL strike killed it for me, then I could afford to attend a few games and was completely thrown off.
Same with baseball, that strike left a lasting scar on me.

Olympic size rink hockey still gets my motor going though, I appreciate the strategy more with the larger ice surface

C.Ronaldo
07-04-2014, 09:51 AM
To think that only 30 years ago in the mid 1980s, North American broadcasting marketing types were predicting that the future of soccer in North America was the indoor game when the MISL was at it peak. Soccer/football has come along way but still has some steps to take.

North america should bring in a futsol league.

Its important for ball control development and great for inner city lack of space for the outdoor game

Ultra & Proud
07-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Point #3 is only point I agree with in his post. Point #7 maybe but I think active participation fuels more than video games ever will and it also can develop talent.

The rest is classic American elitism. Game was invented elsewhere so why must it be changed to suit Americanism? Baseball is played overseas and they stick to the conventional terms and names of the sport as do European hockey clubs for ice hockey. This is an older, Pro-American, conservative type guy with the typical "if it ain't 'Murican it's crap" refrain. Besides, I recall they did try to make a league in the U.S all American and stuff and it didn't work out too well. Even MLS was floundering until that damn Euro-style support and such became prevalent.

MKR
07-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Point #3 is only point I agree with in his post. Point #7 maybe but I think active participation fuels more than video games ever will and it also can develop talent.

point number 7 shows how clueless the guy actually is. there's already a massive popular soccer video game which has been around for decades. I'm no video game expert, but to me it seems like one of the more popular sports video games out there. I'm talking about FIFA by the way.

Alonso
07-04-2014, 10:58 AM

The Canadian football team that won us Olympic gold in 1904 was called the Galt Football Club: http://www.canadiansoccerhistory.com/Great%20Teams/Galt%20FC.html

The Western Football Association was this country's first soccer association formed in 1880.

The early teams that became National Champions competed for a trophy known as The Connaught Cup—which had been donated to the Dominion of Canada Football Association by the Duke Of Connaught in 1913—who at that time was Governor General of Canada. Teams competed for this trophy through to 1925. In that year, the Football Association of England gave the DCFA a new trophy known as the F.A. Trophy. This trophy became the one awarded to the National Champions beginning in 1926 and details on the teams who won this trophy are shown on this page. The first names of the players are listed where known, however, the newspapers in the years before 1940 often didn’t print first names.

This quote was from the linked website that I pasted above. So the Dominion of Canada Football Association, gave out an FA Trophy from 1926 to 1940.

To say "football" doesn't have deep historical roots in Canada is just wrong.

james
07-04-2014, 11:22 AM
The Canadian football team that won us Olympic gold in 1904 was called the Galt Football Club: http://www.canadiansoccerhistory.com/Great%20Teams/Galt%20FC.html

The Western Football Association was this country's first soccer association formed in 1880.

This quote was from the linked website that I pasted above. So the Dominion of Canada Football Association, gave out an FA Trophy from 1926 to 1940.

Good information!

Brooker
07-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Olbermann does sports now? Didn't mind him on Countdown but he's just coming off as a douche in this video.

Maybe I'm experiencing what Republicans went through all these years.

jabbronies
07-04-2014, 01:23 PM

I never said anything about historical roots - but to bring that up doesn't do much for the argument to continue using it.
You are talking about references from almost 80 years ago that no longer exists.

We no longer use the term Dominion of Canada - it was essentially removed from official use in 1982
Our national association is called the CSA - not CFA

I don't get the point of bringing all this up considering none of it is relevant today's Canadian Society.

eustacchio
07-04-2014, 01:27 PM
point number 7 shows how clueless the guy actually is. there's already a massive popular soccer video game which has been around for decades. I'm no video game expert, but to me it seems like one of the more popular sports video games out there. I'm talking about FIFA by the way.

I think he means an MLS specific video game.

Alonso
07-04-2014, 01:31 PM
I never said anything about historical roots - but to bring that up doesn't do much for the argument to continue using it.
You are talking about references from almost 80 years ago that no longer exists.

We no longer use the term Dominion of Canada - it was essentially removed from official use in 1982

I don't get the point of bringing all this up considering none of it is relevant today's Canadian Society.

Well you said using "football" in the teams name was a farce, my argument was that using "football" in the team name has historical precedence and makes sense.

There's nothing "unauthentic" about it, and like others have mentioned if you've been watching any of CBC's world cup coverage "football" is being used all the time.

Soccer and football have been used interchangeably in Canada for a long time.

MKR
07-04-2014, 01:52 PM

nevertheless it's a poor point for him to even try to make. The MLS is featured in the game and even tends to have some kind of MLS player on the cover (this was the case when i was more into video games 3-4 years ago). The fact is (american) soccer fans already have a video game. Also i quickly checked some lists online right now re: highest selling video games, and FIFA does show up. some of the lists are even listed as US sales.

MKR
07-04-2014, 01:57 PM
The team name argument is also lame. I can think of a couple names that stand out: Real Salt lake (ya that is a stupid choice) and sporting Kansas city. FC Dallas is a bad one too, however the rest of the names aren't overly European or pretensious or anything. Toronto Football club. I mean that's what it is: It's Toronto's pro football club.

In fact, lots of the teams in the MLS have OVERLY Americanized names like the New england revolution, LA Galaxy, Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, etc.

This guys list is one of the worst critiques of soccer ever.

Ultra & Proud
07-04-2014, 02:10 PM

But what is relevant in today's Canadian society is that almost half the population is made up of immigrants who, more than likely, have referred to the sport as football their entire lives.

eustacchio
07-04-2014, 02:25 PM
nevertheless it's a poor point for him to even try to make. The MLS is featured in the game and even tends to have some kind of MLS player on the cover (this was the case when i was more into video games 3-4 years ago). The fact is (american) soccer fans already have a video game. Also i quickly checked some lists online right now re: highest selling video games, and FIFA does show up. some of the lists are even listed as US sales.

I don't disagree with you. Other than not being a shithead, I don't really agree with the list.

trane
07-04-2014, 02:58 PM
The MLSE studied the market, and decided that Toronto FC was a name that most of the market could get behind. It clearly indicates that the name resonates, with most Torontonians, some may not like it, most Canadians may prefere the word soccer, but for most of those who will follow football FC makes sense. Piking the name and building the stadium is about as much as the early FO got right, give them that.

Alonso
07-04-2014, 03:39 PM

Football was used in the Associations name until 1970, so that is 44 years ago not 80.

But more significantly here are the objectives of the CSA as described in it's by-laws:

Canada Soccer's objectives, as described in its by-laws, are to:[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Soccer_Association#cite_note-1)

promote, regulate and control the game of football throughout Canada, particularly through youth and development programs;
organize competitions in Association Football in all its forms at a national level, by defining the areas of authority conceded to the various leagues of which it is composed;
draw up Association Football regulations and provisions, and ensure their enforcement;
protect the interests of its Members;
respect and prevent any infringement of the statutes, regulations, directives and decisions of FIFA, CONCACAF and The CSA, as well as the Laws of the Game;
prevent all methods or practices that jeopardize the integrity of matches or competitions or give rise to abuse of Association Football;
control and supervise all friendly Association Football matches played throughout Canada;
manage international sporting relations connected with Association Football;
host competitions at international and other levels.

Soccer is referenced 1 time, Football is referenced 6 times.

The term "football" is historically relevant, and currently relevant.

PAOK17
07-04-2014, 04:17 PM
I don't care so much about the naming other than that we overuse the acronym FC when referring to team names like Toronto FC. If we are going to take the route of using naming conventions used everywhere else in the world, can we at least stay consistent with how they're used? I'm ok with referring to it as TFC as that seems to be a nickname established by the fans, but saying "Toronto FC" every time the team is mentioned in a TFC broadcast is ridiculous. FC isn't to Toronto FC what Maple Leafs are to Toronto Maple Leafs. The unfortunate part is that it's our own broadcasters who claim to be soccer guys (i.e. de Vos) who can't help but constantly say FC.

No one says FC Barcelona, FC Porto, etc. Do people even know it's Manchester United FC and not just Manchester United?

Then again, these are the same sportscasters that say "Inter Milan" and "AC Milan". People say just "Inter" and just "Milan".

So I guess he's right about the broadcasters being crap...

Cashcleaner
07-04-2014, 04:46 PM

It's funny you bring that up, because all my friends who play video games really want an MLS-specific soccer game. They're generally not big soccer fans, but they do follow TFC and the league and don't really care about the EPL, La Liga, or even the World Cup all that much. I sorta get the argument to create an MLS soccer game.

PAOK17
07-04-2014, 05:31 PM
^^The thing with ES Sports' FIFA (and any other soccer related video game) is that it tends to be rather generic once you step out of the major teams/leagues. The NHL franchise for example, has everything from specific stadiums and goal horns. When I had FIFA 10, TFC home games were in generic stadiums- I doubt they have added all of the MLS stadiums yet.

Having said that, I'd stick with the current version, just with some added improvements.

jabbronies
07-05-2014, 01:42 PM
^^The thing with ES Sports' FIFA (and any other soccer related video game) is that it tends to be rather generic once you step out of the major teams/leagues. The NHL franchise for example, has everything from specific stadiums and goal horns. When I had FIFA 10, TFC home games were in generic stadiums- I doubt they have added all of the MLS stadiums yet.

Having said that, I'd stick with the current version, just with some added improvements.

Home Depot Centre was in Fifa 13 and BC place is in Fifa 14

The Fifa franchise is based out of Vancouver, so they are pretty aware of the league. I guess it comes down to overall objectives. Imagine being a guy in Turkey who supports Galatasary and wondering why Turk Telekom isn't in the game, but BMO field is.

jabbronies
07-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Football was used in the Associations name until 1970, so that is 44 years ago not 80.

But more significantly here are the objectives of the CSA as described in it's by-laws:

Soccer is referenced 1 time, Football is referenced 6 times.

The term "football" is historically relevant, and currently relevant.

Which is funny because they go back in forth in the document. in one sentence using soccer and the other using football.

jabbronies
07-05-2014, 02:09 PM
IMO The use of the word Football doesn't come naturally to most and is done to appease the soccer snobs and prove some sort of "street cred".

3 of the bigger local clubs in the GTA and surrounding areas are also conflicted on the word. Add the CSA who is the governing body of the sport and now you have everyone wondering what should be used.

Sigma Refers to it as soccer:
http://www.sigma-sports.net/playerDev/index.html

Oakville Soccer Club
http://www.oakvillesoccer.ca/

Milltown FC use Football in their name but they use soccer everywhere else:
http://milltownfc.com/?page_id=246

Toronto FC plays in Major league Soccer

I can go on and on with references to Soccer in the local and national community. It just doesn't make much sense as to why we are determined to interchange the two words in Canada. It shows a lack of identity for the sport itself when you can't even refer to it with a single name.

jabbronies
07-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Anyways - none of this is a game changer for me - these are all small things that could be improved to help the sport move along.

It's all dumb, but it's the small things that people get snagged on when trying to adapt to a new sport.

james
07-05-2014, 10:24 PM
IMO The use of the word Football doesn't come naturally to most and is done to appease the soccer snobs and prove some sort of "street cred".

3 of the bigger local clubs in the GTA and surrounding areas are also conflicted on the word. Add the CSA who is the governing body of the sport and now you have everyone wondering what should be used.

Sigma Refers to it as soccer:
http://www.sigma-sports.net/playerDev/index.html

Oakville Soccer Club
http://www.oakvillesoccer.ca/

Milltown FC use Football in their name but they use soccer everywhere else:
http://milltownfc.com/?page_id=246

Toronto FC plays in Major league Soccer

I can go on and on with references to Soccer in the local and national community. It just doesn't make much sense as to why we are determined to interchange the two words in Canada. It shows a lack of identity for the sport itself when you can't even refer to it with a single name.

ya way to much thought put into this. Seems you get a bit made when people refer to it as Football. Who cares, its original name was football, it has been used in this county over many years, soccer is also mentioned today and by many. Who cares, people can call it what they want, does it really matter?

I wish Canadian football just kept with its original origins, makes much more sense really. The game gets its roots from Rugby, it was originally refered to as "Rugby Football". Another term originally used for football was "gridiron". Those names make alot more sense to me.

Alonso
07-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Which is funny because they go back in forth in the document. in one sentence using soccer and the other using football.

Look that's my point, using the term football is not a farce, it's actually going back to the roots of the sport in this country.

It started as football, and was that way until 1970, then maybe the popularity of the CFL and NFL and the demise of soccer as a sport in the region called for a new term for the game of football. The term Soccer has been around for a century and became the norm for 30 years, and while the term football was still used it took a back seat.

But to say using football in TFC's name is a farce, is just to deny the history of the game in this region.

Wanderers, United, FC have all been used in Canada for over one hundred years and there is nothing farcical about it.

jabbronies
07-06-2014, 12:57 PM
ya way to much thought put into this. Seems you get a bit made when people refer to it as Football. Who cares, its original name was football, it has been used in this county over many years, soccer is also mentioned today and by many. Who cares, people can call it what they want, does it really matter?

I wish Canadian football just kept with its original origins, makes much more sense really. The game gets its roots from Rugby, it was originally refered to as "Rugby Football". Another term originally used for football was "gridiron". Those names make alot more sense to me.

I think Handegg also makes a lot more sense lol

james
07-06-2014, 01:26 PM
I think Handegg also makes a lot more sense lol

There is actually many theories why Gridiron is called "Football". Some theories are that many sport games back in the 1800's were played on horses, where "FOOT" "BALL" was played on your feet. Another theory was that a "Football" was 1 foot long, however if that was ever true it is not true today, as neither a CFL or NFL ball is 1 foot long, both are around 11inches. You also have things like in America early 1900's newspapers used terms such as "Soccer" "association Football" and "Soccer Football", in one case in 1911 all 3 terms were used in 1 article to talk about the same game, lol. And then you even have other sports like Gaelic Football, Aussy Rules Football, Rugby League nines (nicknames include Footy and Football) , International Rules Football, American Football, Canadian Football, Arena Football, and there are probably even more sports involving the word "Football". Anyways it is what it is, lol. I just think the name like "Gridiron" or "Rugby Football" would of saved a lot of confusion today.

Fort York Redcoat
07-07-2014, 10:00 AM
I do it myself. When I'm around you guys it's football but when I don't know the person I'll say soccer to avoid the definition convo. More and more it's people starting the convo with me with football because they know I follow the game. I don't think they're more or less knowledgable about the game but I appreciate the terrminology.

And I reveled in a convo post match with a faux fan after the match on the queen car. So smug with his accent to impress this girl I could tell he couldn't care less about the game here. He purposefully avoided the name of the game, smugly waiting for me to say one or the other until he couldn't bear it anymore and had to prove his superiority to his friend. "Do you call it soccer or football". I said I speak both. Whatever you'd like to talk about. He didn't want to talk anymore. Surprise.

Rugby football is always gridiron to me now. No one gets confused by it. As to its origin I'll never forget this:

"They're ruining Rugby" - Joe "King" Krol

5 time Grey Cup Champion with the Argonauts 1945,46,47,50,52

james
07-09-2014, 10:23 AM
I do it myself. When I'm around you guys it's football but when I don't know the person I'll say soccer to avoid the definition convo. More and more it's people starting the convo with me with football because they know I follow the game. I don't think they're more or less knowledgable about the game but I appreciate the terrminology.

And I reveled in a convo post match with a faux fan after the match on the queen car. So smug with his accent to impress this girl I could tell he couldn't care less about the game here. He purposefully avoided the name of the game, smugly waiting for me to say one or the other until he couldn't bear it anymore and had to prove his superiority to his friend. "Do you call it soccer or football". I said I speak both. Whatever you'd like to talk about. He didn't want to talk anymore. Surprise.

Rugby football is always gridiron to me now. No one gets confused by it. As to its origin I'll never forget this:

"They're ruining Rugby" - Joe "King" Krol

5 time Grey Cup Champion with the Argonauts 1945,46,47,50,52

just interested in the statement, What was Joe "King" Krol talking about? what did he mean by Ruining Rugby?

cmonyoureds
07-09-2014, 10:46 AM
I don't care so much about the naming other than that we overuse the acronym FC when referring to team names like Toronto FC. If we are going to take the route of using naming conventions used everywhere else in the world, can we at least stay consistent with how they're used? I'm ok with referring to it as TFC as that seems to be a nickname established by the fans, but saying "Toronto FC" every time the team is mentioned in a TFC broadcast is ridiculous. FC isn't to Toronto FC what Maple Leafs are to Toronto Maple Leafs. The unfortunate part is that it's our own broadcasters who claim to be soccer guys (i.e. de Vos) who can't help but constantly say FC.

No one says FC Barcelona, FC Porto, etc. Do people even know it's Manchester United FC and not just Manchester United?

Then again, these are the same sportscasters that say "Inter Milan" and "AC Milan". People say just "Inter" and just "Milan".

Just to be pedantic and stir the pot needlessly.................check up on that. The "FC" has been in and out of the "official" name. g:D
You should have seen the sh** fly in some of the "supporter forums"!!!!

Fort York Redcoat
07-09-2014, 10:55 AM
just interested in the statement, What was Joe "King" Krol talking about? what did he mean by Ruining Rugby?

The League changed rules in the 50's that made it look closer to the game we know today. Joe Krol said the above quote after winning one of his 5 Grey Cups.

Till then the game was still called Rugby Football and the different leagues throughout the nation has "R's" in their acronyms.

ORFU- Ontario
QRFU- Quebec
IRFU- Inter Province

GridIron is still a child of Rugby Football. Soccer is Association Rules Football.

OgtheDim
07-09-2014, 10:57 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Rugby_Football_Union

james
07-09-2014, 07:05 PM
The League changed rules in the 50's that made it look closer to the game we know today. Joe Krol said the above quote after winning one of his 5 Grey Cups.

Till then the game was still called Rugby Football and the different leagues throughout the nation has "R's" in their acronyms.

ORFU- Ontario
QRFU- Quebec
IRFU- Inter Province

GridIron is still a child of Rugby Football. Soccer is Association Rules Football.

I knew it was originally known as Rugby Football, I didn't know how many years far back however, and I didn't know about the rule changes. Thanks for the info.

james
07-09-2014, 07:24 PM

well yes and no. Most occasions teams don't say the FC part, and more so for the bigger clubs then anything because everyone knows who they are without saying FC. However I have seen FC used on some teams, more so on smaller clubs. I did live in the Wimbledon area for a while in London, I did attend a couple Wimbledon games, and when the club was mentioned people always referred to them as AFC Wimbledon, don't know if that is because a lot of people probably don't really know much about them being a small club and rather Wimbledon more known for Tennis? that could be a reason. Or because of the fact the team folded, and then had to start so many divisions behind the top 4 pro divisions and had to start with a new name? But either way to say FC is never used isn't completely true.

You also see many times when England clubs are away on tour fans often bring flags to hang up. And many of them often include the initials including the FC on it. I know its not quite the same thing but,Here is an example.
http://kickess.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/manchester_united_fans_1_1024x768.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/5wdow5.jpg

http://www.hsv-forum.de/gallery/data/media/5104/23.jpg

PAOK17
07-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Ok maybe I should have used terms like 'usually' instead. My point is, you hear the 'FC' acronym far less in overseas broadcasts than you would in an MLS game. And I don't think it has to do with whether a team is big enough to stand alone without the 'FC'. In all PAOK games I've watched in English, not once have I heard PAOK FC and it's not a major European club.

I guess we have bigger problems but it's just a small pet peeve of mine. I'm not saying stop saying FC all together. I just would like to hear it a lot less often.

Having said that, I do see your points.