PDA

View Full Version : USL overtaking MLS?

jloome
07-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Here's the theory: USL teams are cohesive and have tenacity, because they are WAAAAY more stable, in terms of personnel; this is due to a far more standard pay scheme, in which almost everybody at least ALMOST makes a living wage, and there's none of this $17K a year bullshit.

Comparatively, while MLS has developed into the first division in North America due to the relative value of its franchises' markets, its rosters are up and down more than a hooker on Saturday night. There are numerous examples of depth players who'd rather earn a living wage in USL than stay in MLS.

Now, MLS does have the skill player side of the equation locked down. But that's not enough, sometimes, to overcome the depth issue, which is why we've seen more points between the two sides pretty much evenly divided this year.

So is MLS fucking it up with their financial structure? Are we gonna see USL gradually growing into a genuine market competitor. Will Cunny spontaneously burst into flames tonight at the stroke of midnight and give me hope for the future.

Bobo
07-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Anyone know what the record is between MLS and USL teams? Seems every time I look, USL teams are getting positive results.

jloome
07-22-2008, 08:52 PM
They've got two teams in the semis of the US open cup, so I think the stats are bearing it out.

profit89
07-22-2008, 09:09 PM
There should be promotion/relegation with USL-1

noochie
07-22-2008, 10:15 PM

Be careful what you wish for I guess... at this rate we would have a tough competing in USL-1. :taz:

RedsYNWA
07-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Bring On Rochester

RealG-TFC
07-22-2008, 10:20 PM
USL more stable? Look up California Victory on wiki.

Wolfe
07-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Could we see a joining of MLS + USL in the next few years, kind of like the Premier and Championship? I think that not only from the Nutralite Cup or whatever it was called, but also seeing how the teams are doing in that US tournament, and the fact that there are 2 USL teams in the semis, it shows that the leagues might not be that far off. I think that it would be a great idea and the threat of being relegated from MLS down to USL could make teams more apt to improve and try new things.

BBBulldog
07-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Anyone know what the record is between MLS and USL teams? Seems every time I look, USL teams are getting positive results.

They won an Open cup, MLS won every other since '96

They generally get smashed unless MLS team plays reserves (and of course suprises can happen too, ball is round) Think we lost to Richmond in '04 hehe

Toronto Ruffrider
07-22-2008, 10:30 PM

USL teams typically play quite well against MLS opposition. In last year's US Open Cup, Seattle beat Colorado 5-0 in the quarter-finals. When combined with DC's 1-0 loss to the Harrisburg City Islanders of USL-2, MLS looks quite foolish against USL opposition at times.

I think the problem with MLS lies in the lack of depth that its teams have. Because of the low salary cap, it's impossible for MLS teams to load up on quality players that go beyond the starting-XI. After you factor out the marquee players that many teams opt for - guys like Beckham, Guevara and Twellman - there isn't much of a difference between MLS and USL-1 sides. The backbone of MLS just isn't that much stronger than that of the second-tier league.

Jack
07-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Seriously, I think this is a very valid theory right now.

Kickit09
07-22-2008, 10:38 PM
i think the USL players just want it more. they are usually younger and trying to prove themselves as opposed to older MLS players just trying not to get hurt.

Alarius
07-22-2008, 10:40 PM
USL teams have players that have played together for a very long team... there are no dramatic line up changes every season (considering there isnt alot of money to throw around).. teams benefit from this as they can develop good chemistry...

Toronto Ruffrider
07-22-2008, 10:41 PM

With MLS teams such as Seattle gaining promotion to MLS, I can see an eventual league merger in the future. Other USL-1 teams have been rumoured to be seeking MLS franchises, including Vancouver, Montreal, Portland, Miami and Rochester (real long shot here). If most of those teams eventually end up in MLS, then there won't be much competition left in USL-1.

Perhaps what will happen is a bunch of USL-1 teams will get MLS franchises, and the remaining USL-1 teams will be merged with the smaller USL-2. If this were to happen, then maybe we could have two stable divisions in which promotion and relegation is possible.

BBBulldog
07-23-2008, 10:03 AM
When combined with DC's 1-0 loss to the Harrisburg City Islanders of USL-2, MLS looks quite foolish against USL opposition at times.

Depends who team plays, we had no starters on field or bench that night and i couldn't recognize half people in lineup :D They had to leave behind starters for different matches due to congested schedule, much like this year with SuperCrap.

togetherness
07-23-2008, 10:05 AM
I think that both leagues are similar and on any given day just like in the FA Cup anything can happen..
TFC just really needs more goals .. But these USL are no push over.

nimamalek
07-23-2008, 10:12 AM
although our record in this competition was shit, aside from the first Vancouver game i think we dominated every game, and Vancouver needed a shit penalty call for the win. I think if we had Dichio in for the last couple of games things would have been different. and I read about some of the other losses in the US and it seemed that the MLS teams dominated the game but ran into the same issues as us

Don Julio
07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Promotion and Relegation can not be retrofit into a league. Why would any MLS team agree to risk ending up in USL?! Promotion/Relegation will never happen in North America.

Wolfe
07-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Promotion and Relegation can not be retrofit into a league. Why would any MLS team agree to risk ending up in USL?! Promotion/Relegation will never happen in North America.
How is the MLS run? Would this have to be voted on by the team owners or is this something that the MLS Execs could agree to?