PDA

View Full Version : BMO Field to host Guinness International Champions Cup match

Haddy
06-24-2014, 08:35 AM
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1377915/media-advisory-maple-leaf-sports-entertainment-and-relevent-sports-to-announce-international-football-partnership-tomorrow

Announcement coming later today...

Voodooman
06-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Good find.

Interesting to see what happens!

Cas87
06-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Fair bet that since Roma are involved in the Guinness event that they will be one participant.

Fair bet that neither of the Manchesters will be here.

Probably Olympiakos will be the opponent.

OgtheDim
06-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Hmm.... http://internationalchampionscup.com/schedule/sch/ seems to indicate that all matches are currently placed and selling tickets.

As the PR says next month, either they are moving a game or we are getting a prelim of some sort.

Pint
06-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Hmm.... http://internationalchampionscup.com/schedule/sch/ seems to indicate that all matches are currently placed and selling tickets.

As the PR says next month, either they are moving a game or we are getting a prelim of some sort.

Wouldn't be surprised if they move a game... Hienz field is far from full for the game in pittsburgh.

Kaz
06-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Isn't this a big boy version of the Mickey Mouse Cup for preseason play?

Detroit_TFC
06-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if they move a game... Hienz field is far from full for the game in pittsburgh.

There were some light attendances for a couple of the games in last year's matches but overall it made plenty of dough for everyone so it got expanded, plus Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is underwriting it (this is part of his effort to become a bigwig in futbol circles). I doubt they would move a game, that would be a pr fiasco, involve ticket refunds, etc.

mowe
06-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Neil Davidson @NeilMDavidson (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson) · 8m (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/481513659827781632) Olympiacos to play AC Milan on July 24 at BMO Field as part of Guinness International Champions Cup.

Voodooman
06-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Rofl @Cas87 almost got it right on.

OgtheDim
06-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Moved the game from Citi Field in New York.

If you click on the ticket link, it shows you that field.

Cas87
06-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Rofl @Cas87 almost got it right on.

I'd say that is the closest anyone could get.

I guess Roma is saved to play TFC next year instead to fulfil one of the 2 friendlies we are to have with them due to the Bradley deal.

BarryM
06-24-2014, 04:52 PM
This will be a busy couple days at BMO Field for the fans, 3 games in four days, how fun.

BarryM
06-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Who gets access to the pre-sell?

ensco
06-24-2014, 10:06 PM
That game will sell out.

Not saying many here will care.

Ricky_Portugal
06-24-2014, 10:17 PM
i'm going to that with all the gate 7 ultras that live in toronto

Ricky_Portugal
06-24-2014, 10:18 PM
its gonna be a hell of a game

Supporting
06-24-2014, 11:39 PM
i'm going to that with all the gate 7 ultras that live in toronto

Where are they sitting?

and is this going to happen? g:D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVo6oYHSN9U

prizby
06-25-2014, 12:32 AM
Read about an Olympiakos fan from Australia that booked his travel months ago...now he is flying to New York for no good reason...there are a lot of upset fans about this who have spent money on flights/hotels and bought tickets for Citi Field. I smell a lawsuit coming.

The shocking thing is neither the ICC website, twitter page, or facebook page have made an 'official' announcement...like they are trying to quietly sweep the venue change under the rug.

Anyways, I guess when we play SKC on July 26th, we'll be playing in something that will closely resembles a cow pasture

BarryM
06-25-2014, 12:43 AM
Read about an Olympiakos fan from Australia that booked his travel months ago...now he is flying to New York for no good reason...there are a lot of upset fans about this who have spent money on flights/hotels and bought tickets for Citi Field. I smell a lawsuit coming.

The shocking thing is neither the ICC website, twitter page, or facebook page have made an 'official' announcement...like they are trying to quietly sweep the venue change under the rug.

Anyways, I guess when we play SKC on July 26th, we'll be playing in something that will closely resembles a cow pasture

according to ticket master it will be the fourth soccer game of the week.

Ricky_Portugal
06-25-2014, 03:04 AM
yup i found out about the venue change when a friend of mine got a call after the greece columbia game and was told to keep it hush untill it is anouced the gate 7 groups of toronto are buying one massive block of tickets and we are hoping for southstands prolly 112-114 [mod edit - comment against RPB policy, edited by Oldtimer]

Ricky_Portugal
06-25-2014, 03:06 AM
where are they sitting?

And is this going to happen? G:d:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvo6oyhsn9u

no comment
lol

Fort York Redcoat
06-25-2014, 10:03 AM

As long as we have big names to draw to BMO for the sport, eh? Maybe a couple will try a TFC game again. Maybe.

Alonso
06-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Four games in one week?

Why does TFC take the back seat to a bunch of friendlies? :facepalm:

nfitz
06-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Watched Football Today yesterday, where in an interview the organizer with Liewecke said the pricing would be similar to the Tottenham game.

Just got the invoice in Account Manager. Not only is the price double of the Tottenham game, they add on a 25% surcharge as a service fee!

Fortunately I have no interest in these teams ...

Detroit_TFC
06-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Ok, I'm shocked about the covert reschedule job. Bad business on their part.

glaze
06-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Four games in one week?

Why does TFC take the back seat to a bunch of friendlies? :facepalm:

It's a win-win for MLSE.
They make money from hosting the extra games at BMO.
They can say they are exposing the game to new fans with the hope of having them check out TFC (though not sure how much that has worked in the past)
And when the field is all torn up, they can point to it as an example of the need to revert to an artificial surface, further paving the way for the Argos to ruin our home.

OgtheDim
06-25-2014, 10:22 AM
If you are a SSH, tickets are in your account manager.

$66.25 for my medium gray area - probably over $120 for them once that area goes on sale Friday.

ManUtd4ever
06-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Prices are excessive for sure, but it should sell out. Plenty of support for both clubs in T.O.

Phil
06-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Considering the field gets used for more than 4 games a week right now, this turf being torn up stuff is a joke. The field can handle soccer in July, it isn't March after winter.

Not my cup of tea though, good game for the fans of the two teams. Should do well.