PDA

View Full Version : What do TFC, Leafs and Raptors fans have in common?

Pookie
06-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Money.

We often discuss the fan bases of our Toronto teams. Demographics are thrown around in terms of what we suspect to the be the target audience.

In one thread we talk about a younger crowd as a way to explain lower TV ratings. In another, it's the area code of the fan base. But really, we are just guessing.

This may help with the guessing.

I stumbled across Coremedia's website. This is a company that publishes souvenir programs for the Leafs, Jays, Raptors, Toronto FC, Marlies and Ottawa Senators. In targeting advertisers as part of their business model, they published some demographics that look to be current as of 2012-13.

http://www.coremedia.ca

Here's how they perceive the demographics for each respective team (minus the Argos):

Jays
Leafs
Raptors
Toronto FC
Marlies

Males
58%
67%
67%
60%
72%

Age 18-34
50%
17%
22%
46%
20%

MOPES
32%
58%
56%
58%
42%

Avg Household Income
$82,000
$108,000
$103,000
$108,000
$103,000

* MOPES is generally defined as Managers, Owners, Professionals and Executives in Small to Medium Sized Businesses

Interesting numbers from that. TFC fans though younger, are very similar to Leaf fans in terms of income and profession. Given that students and recent grads are not likely have to incomes (single or dual) in the $108k range, it may stand to reason that TFC's 18-34 cohort might be weighted more to the older end of that spectrum.

Contrast that with the Jays with a lower number of "MOPES" and a lower average income, yet a higher percentage in the 18-34 category and they may in fact be younger.

This could very well explain why our ticket prices and ticket policies have been at the more expensive end of the MLS marketplace. When previous MLSE execs talked about pricing relative to the local market, they were talking about going after the same fan base. MOPES with similar incomes.

TFC07
06-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Are these numbers based on SSH or overall fanbase? I find it very hard to believe Blue Jays have younger fanbase than Raptors and TFC. Also when comes to income, there have been plenty of complains from TFC SSH on high ticket prices so I find it weird average income in TFC fanbase is same as Maple Leafs.

EDIT: According to your link, average age in Blue Jays fanbase is 38.6 years old while Raptors average age is 36 years old. Toronto Maple Leafs average age in their fanbase is 38 years old. Too bad no average age amount calculated from TFC side, but I am going go out in limb and say similar to Raptors. The only stat from TFC numbers that is interesting is that fanbase based on gender is almost even. 60% Male and 40% Female which isn't surprising giving soccer is probably most popular sport for females in this country. Blue Jays also have similar numbers ratio while Maple Leafs and Raptors tend to be more male friendly.

Pookie
06-15-2014, 04:51 PM
I would gather that since core media is selling programs in stadium those are the demographics for those with tickets (seasons or otherwise)

Abou Sky
06-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Thanks Pookie, much appreciated.

ryan
06-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Are these numbers based on SSH or overall fanbase? I find it very hard to believe Blue Jays have younger fanbase than Raptors and TFC. Also when comes to income, there have been plenty of complains from TFC SSH on high ticket prices so I find it weird average income in TFC fanbase is same as Maple Leafs.

EDIT: According to your link, average age in Blue Jays fanbase is 38.6 years old while Raptors average age is 36 years old. Toronto Maple Leafs average age in their fanbase is 38 years old. Too bad no average age amount calculated from TFC side, but I am going go out in limb and say similar to Raptors. The only stat from TFC numbers that is interesting is that fanbase based on gender is almost even. 60% Male and 40% Female which isn't surprising giving soccer is probably most popular sport for females in this country. Blue Jays also have similar numbers ratio while Maple Leafs and Raptors tend to be more male friendly.

Go to a game, it's not hard to see the truth. Dome is often littered with 20 somethings, has been that way for a few years now.

Voodooman
06-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Agreed with Ryan on that. I have seasons for the Jays and for 10-15 bucks for a night out at a Jays game is perfect for teenagers/young adults.
The 500's is full of young fans

trane
06-17-2014, 10:09 AM
I love baseball, almost as much as football, but for very different reasons (my third sport is boxing), this makes me love it a bit, more a good accessible sport not out of the reach of the working class. Hopefully a bigger TFC stadium would bring that about as well.

__wowza
06-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Go to a game, it's not hard to see the truth. Dome is often littered with 20 somethings, has been that way for a few years now.

it helps that tickets are always dirt cheap.

ryan
06-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Well that's true, but I was really speaking about 100 level.

In the 500's you'll have plenty of teens and college students, but in the 100's there's a fair amount of late 20/early 30 types to be found.

james
06-17-2014, 10:26 PM
How would Leaf fans not be even more wealthy??? I mean season tickets cost what most people make in an entire year wages!

james
06-17-2014, 10:27 PM
I call this a bit BS.