PDA

View Full Version : Is our Form/Tactics about to change?

ryan
06-06-2014, 11:58 AM
In our past two matches, we've seen Gilberto come off the bench, play up front in place of a mid. Seeming to be a 4-3-3 look.

In the Columbus game, it turned on this change. They were lost, we become very dangerous and ultimately scored twice to win. At Montreal on Wednesday, Gilberto came on for a mid again, we didn't score but looked more dangerous from that point forward.

The acquisition of Oduro makes me wonder if this is further to what we've been seeing. Furthermore, there's grumbles about the lack of scoring, which this would ultimately aim to address. Lastly, at least on here, we gripe often about Nelsen's commitment to a flat 4-4-2, which again in our past two matches, isn't the case.

With a two week break coming up and this acquisition, I wonder if we're going to see a different TFC out of the break. Perhaps tomorrow's match might indicate that if we again see a similar look.

Anyone else seeing this?

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2014, 12:09 PM
I posted in the other trade thread about this but it seems like it's something that may have been part of the plan. Settle the back four, solidify team defense (see Oduro and Issey trades for proof of this), and drill shape and responsibility into the player's heads/games. Then when we look fairly solid defensively we try the 4-3-3 in matches to test it and push for wins. Anyone can see it helped us in each match attempted and I am sure Nelsen is aware of that and also what is going on around the league in terms of opponent's tactics. I still think we'll probably use a 4-2-2 diamond and maybe switch to 4-3-3 or flat 4-4-2 depending on the circumstances in each match but that's tactical flexibility and something we haven't had much of in a long, long time.

Fort York Redcoat
06-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Trading Issey and Rey makes the obvious formation

4-2-2-2

This eliminates a third of the pitch to play on and makes for a very different game!

Honestly I do look forward to seeing what the endgame is. We don't seem to be aquiring for any traditional formation so far but I think this latest development is to set up the next move. I still think this is a better move than the Warner for Issey but the game plays on...

Kaz
06-06-2014, 12:58 PM
As it's more apt for here.

So are we looking at?

________Bendik_________ _______Bendik_________
Orr Caldwell Henry Morrow Orr Caldwell Henry Morrow
____Warner Bekker______ _______Warner_________
________Osorio_________ __Lovitz Osorio Jackson__
__Gilberto Defoe Moore___ ____Gilberto Defoe______

Jaskson/Moore, Dero, Oduro, Haglund, Morgan/Bloom, Bekker, Konopka

And after the world cup

_______Bendik_________ _______Bendik_________
Orr Caldwell Henry Morrow Orr Caldwell Henry Morrow
_______Warner_________ _______Warner_________
____Osorio Bradley______ _Osorio Bradley Jaskson__
__Gilberto Defoe Moore__ _____Gilberto Defoe_____

Jaskson/Moore, Dero, Oduro, Haglund, Morgan/Bloom, Bekker/Lovtiz, Konopka

Though honestly I think it is a sign Weids is gone.. and we freed up a international slot for a higher quality midfielder coming in the summer transfer window.

trane
06-06-2014, 01:19 PM
I am thinking more of a 2-3-2-3 or a 3-1-3-1-2 or a 4-1-1-2-1-1 or a 2-2-2-2-2 , depending of what is need in any particular game.

Still my favourite formation was the old Mo Johnson, which looked like;

------CB------CM------
----LB----------------
----------WF---------
CB--RB---------------
-----------AM---------
WF----CM--------------
----------Dichio--------

Those were the days.

Voodooman
06-06-2014, 01:39 PM
I laughed a lot at that ^

But I would see Oduro ahead of Osorio

Canary10
06-06-2014, 01:42 PM
I am thinking more of a 2-3-2-3 or a 3-1-3-1-2 or a 4-1-1-2-1-1 or a 2-2-2-2-2 , depending of what is need in any particular game.

Still my favourite formation was the old Mo Johnson, which looked like;

------CB------CM------
----LB----------------
----------WF---------
CB--RB---------------
-----------AM---------
WF----CM--------------
----------Dichio--------

Those were the days.

Mo really did know how to put shape in a team, didn't he?

Wooster_TFC
06-06-2014, 02:19 PM
I'd love to see a 4-5-1 morph to 4-3-3 with the option of 4-4-2 tossed in, much like SKC play right now.

-------------------------Bendik---------------------------
Bloom-----------Caldwell-----Henry--------------Morrow
-------------Jackson----Bradley---Warner---------------
Oduro----------------------------------------------Gilberto
-------------------------Defoe------------------------------

You can do so much with this set of players. Bradley push up into 4-2-3-1, Jackson move to Gilberto's spot, Gilberto go up top in 4-4-2. So many options, and finally players that get what those options are. Speed to attack too. Only "slow" person in that group of midfielders/forwards is Warner.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2014, 02:23 PM
. Speed to attack too. Only "slow" person in that group of midfielders/forwards is Warner.
And I think he will be the cover guy above the back 4. If his passing is up to snuff then we could have something.

Kaz
06-06-2014, 02:49 PM
if you see Oduro on the pitch.. it would be Gilberto and Defoe playing behind him. Giving them more space, allowing shorter passes to the DPs. and Lob balls for Oduro as a target.. but I really think he is depth and nothing more.... Though some are saying he wants to play Mid.. so that might be why.. with his speed.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2014, 02:54 PM
if you see Oduro on the pitch.. it would be Gilberto and Defoe playing behind him. Giving them more space, allowing shorter passes to the DPs. and Lob balls for Oduro as a target.. but I really think he is depth and nothing more....
I think we will see him wide left in Rey's spot. Straight swap positionally and an improvement.

Our formations going forward should be interesting.

OgtheDim
06-06-2014, 02:55 PM
if you see Oduro on the pitch.. it would be Gilberto and Defoe playing behind him. Giving them more space, allowing shorter passes to the DPs. and Lob balls for Oduro as a target.. but I really think he is depth and nothing more....

He's here as a starter, maybe in a rotation, but definately a starter. And in no way will he be a target man. If you read the piece about him I linked in one of these threads from the local Columbus paper, he indicated to the Crew that he was no longer a forward but thought of himself as a winger/wide midfielder.

ag futbol
06-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Formation is still flat 4-4-2 dominant. I don't see that changing, other than we seem to be rolling up the windows on expansive wide players judging by Rey being on the way out and the other options being more defensive minded.

ag futbol
06-06-2014, 03:16 PM
He's here as a starter, maybe in a rotation, but definately a starter. And in no way will he be a target man. If you read the piece about him I linked in one of these threads from the local Columbus paper, he indicated to the Crew that he was no longer a forward but thought of himself as a winger/wide midfielder.
Maybe a wide midfielder that provides terrible service, but sure.... He's mainly an athlete, not much else

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Formation is still flat 4-4-2 dominant. I don't see that changing, other than we seem to be rolling up the windows on expansive wide players judging by Rey being on the way out and the other options being more defensive minded.
Oduro is more defensive minded? He has more proven offense than Rey has ever shown here or elsewhere.

OgtheDim
06-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Oh yeah, the man can't pass worth crud.

But he causes teams to have to adjust their defences, which none of our other side midfielders do. Rey would get the ball and people would be able to double team him because they know he won't pass it.

ag futbol
06-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Oduro is more defensive minded? He has more proven offense than Rey has ever shown here or elsewhere.
As a striker he has, as a winger? He's just there to run into space and use his athleticism to track back.

As a winger Oduro is basically Jackson part II, with more speed.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2014, 03:22 PM
As a striker he has, as a winger? He's just there to run into space and use his athleticism to track back.

As a winger Oduro is basically Jackson part II, with more speed.
And finishing.

And in comparison to Rey he has more speed, defensive capability, & finishing. Passing is probably equally as terrible.

ag futbol
06-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah, the man can't pass worth crud.

But he causes teams to have to adjust their defences, which none of our other side midfielders do. Rey would get the ball and people would be able to double team him because they know he won't pass it.
This is what drives me nuts. I saw the same thing, but would argue if they organized properly they could use that to open up space for others. But with nobody playing in the hole, that obvious option is never there.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Don't know how Rey was great on the wings to some people. He played 20 matches wide and had 1 assist. This is not a creative play maker. All the footwork and all the flash equaled less than what Vitti brought but much like him, it looked pretty. I guess some people just like to oooh and aaah over the sweet crossovers and nutmegs yet forget about the absurd passes and garbage worm burner attempts at goal.

ag futbol
06-06-2014, 03:29 PM
And finishing.

And in comparison to Rey he has more speed, defensive capability, & finishing. Passing is probably equally as terrible.
You might be the only person ever to complement Oduro on finishing. The amount of chances we give our strikers he's going to be vilified around here pretty quickly. You give him 5 chances, he bumbles one in.

This is just one more step towards this team parking the bus and hoofing.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2014, 03:33 PM
You might be the only person ever to complement Oduro on finishing. The amount of chances we give our strikers he's going to be vilified around here pretty quickly. You give him 5 chances, he bumbles one in.

This is just one more step towards this team parking the bus and hoofing.

If he can create 5 chances on goal then he has everyone on our team beat barring Defoe and Gilberto in regards to creating chances. That I will take every day of the week over a player who created next to nothing in any regard other than being a true wide player.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Also Nelsen has been flirting with more offensive set ups recently than ever before. Don't really like the bunker when we have a goal lead with an hour to go mentality but we've always had that. From Mo until today. That seems to be our thing.

jazzy
06-06-2014, 04:37 PM

watching this year I can recall strong runs on the wing with quality crosses which of course we've lacked , Not so much a goal scorer, yes and as mentioned not great passer , but with Gilberto we could have a wrecking crew out there .