PDA

View Full Version : Oduro to TFC - any details on trade?

OfficeGuy
06-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Twitter beating everyone to the table:

Dominic Oduro ‏@Freakyfast8 30m (https://twitter.com/Freakyfast8/status/474925080968196098) To my new team, Toronto hope to help the team move forward . Thanks for everyones love and support

Anyone have details - nothing on TFC Site or Columbus or MLS

Voodooman
06-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Nothing has been announced yet. If he does come, from when he has played against us he has always done well. I would think its a good pick up but that depends on whats being traded etc

OfficeGuy
06-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Total MLS ‏@TotalMLS 35s (https://twitter.com/TotalMLS/status/474938019217035264) Alvaro Rey is the name being mentioned going to Columbus for Oduro. #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash)

OfficeGuy
06-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Dam - http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/06/reds-acquire-dominic-oduro

Red Rat
06-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Rey was becoming a thug like Ramos

Parkdale
06-06-2014, 11:00 AM
just got the offical word - Ray is gone.

wow... an't say I ever liked Oduro, but that might have just been because playing against him wasn't easy

Jack
06-06-2014, 11:03 AM
That hair...

Kaz
06-06-2014, 11:05 AM
oh oh.. a forward with no Goals this season..must be a flop.

Does this mean Weids is done?

this actually concerns me.. we have traded two wide midfielders for other positions. is a shape change coming?

flatpicker
06-06-2014, 11:42 AM
this actually concerns me.. we have traded two wide midfielders for other positions. is a shape change coming?

http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200307/auberjonois02/320x240.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
06-06-2014, 11:46 AM
A foreign winger for a domestic forward. We got another spot if we want to go shopping again...

OfficeGuy
06-06-2014, 11:50 AM
it's all ....part of the plan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWILhrSzw5o

cochrdoc
06-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Odura is a much better player then Rey.Good trade.

Red Rat
06-06-2014, 12:25 PM
what I find astonishing is how in this league we trade people! I haven't seen this amount of traded between teams since the days in junior high when we traded used rubbers for a pack of gum!

Ivy
06-06-2014, 12:31 PM
what I find astonishing is how in this league we trade people! I haven't seen this amount of traded between teams since the days in junior high when we traded used rubbers for a pack of gum!
You traded used rubbers?? :noidea:

Jack
06-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Both were very chewy?

RoyalRed
06-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Don't know where you went to school, but that's fucking gross... :D

Red Rat
06-06-2014, 12:41 PM
man you a kid, no money. what can you do? also buying a rubber was embarrassing!!! trade them was the way...

Red Rat
06-06-2014, 12:42 PM
you have to wash it before trade, not gross at all

Kaz
06-06-2014, 12:46 PM
So are we looking at?

________Bendik_________ _______Bendik_________
Orr Caldwell Henry Morrow Orr Caldwell Henry Morrow
____Warner Bekker______ _______Warner_________
________Osorio_________ __Lovitz Osorio Jackson__
__Gilberto Defoe Moore___ ____Gilberto Defoe______

Jaskson/Moore, Dero, Oduro, Haglund, Morgan/Bloom, Bekker, Konopka

And after the world cup

_______Bendik_________ _______Bendik_________
Orr Caldwell Henry Morrow Orr Caldwell Henry Morrow
_______Warner_________ _______Warner_________
____Osorio Bradley______ _Osorio Bradley Jaskson__
__Gilberto Defoe Moore__ _____Gilberto Defoe_____

Jaskson/Moore, Dero, Oduro, Haglund, Morgan/Bloom, Bekker/Lovtiz, Konopka

flatpicker
06-06-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm grossed out.

But this is certainly one of the best derailings of a thread I've seen!

Cashcleaner
06-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Oduro picked up in exchange for Rey?

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/25733525/images/1372605093156.png

Nothing against Rey, I just expected more out of him. Orduro has pretty good pacing and positions himself well. And, obviously he's pretty renown for his speed on the pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoGoHNbGm4o

jloome
06-06-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm grossed out.

But this is certainly one of the best derailings of a thread I've seen!

This is probably my aspie brain just being insulting and if so I apologize ... but people here do know that in England a "rubber" is a pencil eraser, right?

I like the trade. We had speed on one wing but not the other; now we've got both. Oduro has been a true forward over his career and has played wide, so it should work out.

Rey wasn't producing much, in the end. Too much time on the ball.

Voodooman
06-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Any word if Oduro is available for tomorrow?

Canary10
06-06-2014, 02:37 PM
This is probably my aspie brain just being insulting and if so I apologize ... but people here do know that in England a "rubber" is a pencil eraser, right?

I like the trade. We had speed on one wing but not the other; now we've got both. Oduro has been a true forward over his career and has played wide, so it should work out.

That's what I first thought he meant. But upon second read, I don't think so....

ag futbol
06-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Odura is a much better player then Rey.Good trade.
I don't know about that. Douro isn't exactly much to write home about. Rey is one of the few guys in this league who can consistently take on a man. Yeah he got off track at times, but that's out 'system' for you.

This is just one more step towards defensive negative football.

C.Ronaldo
06-06-2014, 02:39 PM
why would columbus take this trade? Rey is in a massive funk.

same reason we lost on the issey trade?

This is sending mixed signals though

do well and put in the effort you get traded
get in a funk you get traded.
sign for 1.5M contract dont score goals, not traded

im so confused how mls works

habstfc
06-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Good trade. Why hasn't Odura played much this year, does he have injury issues? It concerns me that Columbus traded a 13 goal scorer last year for Rey. maybe it's a bit of salary dump on their part.

Defoe
06-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Oduro picked up in exchange for Rey?

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/25733525/images/1372605093156.png

Nothing against Rey, I just expected more out of him. Orduro has pretty good pacing and positions himself well. And, obviously he's pretty renown for his speed on the pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoGoHNbGm4o

good move, great speed and a guy who can finish....his first touch is better then Jackson's. We should try Jackson at RB, Not a fan of Bloom their and it would be hard for Jackson to be any worse... Oduro will look good on the right side of Bradley when he's back... starting to become a fan of our midfield we just need Bradley in and Bekker out... Bekker was good his first couple matches but really hasn't preformed at all recently, I think Osorio is better.

--------- -----Defoe-------------
Gilberto --------------- Oduro
.-----Bradley ----- Osorio------
------------Warner--------------

flatpicker
06-06-2014, 02:58 PM

Haha... yeah, and not just in England. I grew up in Southern Ontario calling them rubbers also. But redrat said that "buying a rubber was embarrassing", and I can't see what the big deal would be about buying an eraser! :confused:

flatpicker
06-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Haha... yeah, and not just in England. I grew up in Southern Ontario calling them rubbers also. But redrat said that "buying a rubber was embarrassing", and I can't see what the big deal would be about buying an eraser! :confused:

Anyway... I want to be optimistic about this trade, but I've pretty much abandoned all optimism when it comes to this team. Now I just rely on "we'll see".

Thomas
06-06-2014, 03:00 PM
I like the trade. I also liked Rey. A good dribbler and can hold the ball up, but no finish & can't cross worth a toss. His performance also seemed to have dropped a couple of notches from last year. Hopefully, Oduro doesn't get gassed as quickly as Rey. I hope that Oduro is injury free.

OgtheDim
06-06-2014, 03:00 PM

Growing up in South Western Ontario, we called an eraser a rubber. Only changed when I got to the later years of high school - some guy from the States got all flustered when a girl asked the class, "Anybody got a rubber I can borrow?" When the teacher said he had an extra, I wondered why the guy's eyes started to get really big.

defensor
06-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Nice! Oduro hasn't been having a great season but I'm totally on board with this trade, maybe not what TFC needs at the moment but either was rey especially being not domestic and all, but a decent addition, hopefully Oduro can play as well as he did last season.

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2014, 03:12 PM
I watched that Oduro video and found his finishing better than I recalled.

I also had to notice the "Sunday jog" Hall was doing during the second goal Oduro scored against us. Must be nice to just trot around out there without a worry in the world.

C.Ronaldo
06-06-2014, 03:16 PM
I watched that Oduro video and found his finishing better than I recalled.

I also had to notice the "Sunday jog" Hall was doing during the second goal Oduro scored against us. Must be nice to just trot around out there without a worry in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2sKH8yjVsM

Ultra & Proud
06-06-2014, 03:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2sKH8yjVsM
And there's his theme song.

Yohan
06-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Damn. Does this mean Oduro no longer does commercials for Papa John's pizza?

And I look like a genius for saying Oduro was available couple of weeks ago. Just saying ;)

Looks like a good trade right now, with Rey just not clicking for us and Oduro with decent MLS scoring record. Rey should get a good chance at Columbus who needs more creativity on wing.

And Defoe or Gilberto or whoever partners Oduro up top will get more room because teams will drop deeper to defend against Oduro's pace.

nonc
06-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Lol we have no service for Oduro.

brad
06-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Crew fans saying he was most productive wide right - where he played last season. This season they have played him up top and he has been ineffective.

Makes a lot of sense considerin that

Yohan
06-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Lol we have no service for Oduro.
not really. Oduro is perfect for counter attack based soccer. Oduro will stretch defences

2mil4dero+santo
06-06-2014, 05:15 PM
When we trade a skillful winger who can take on players and creative with energy, for a target man to chase lost causes, well I think that says everything about what kind of soccer we can expect to see under Nelsen. Get ready for two more years at least of hoofball...

gate7
06-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Same here..........but in high-school its redefined. :pbjtime:

Yohan
06-06-2014, 05:21 PM
When we trade a skillful winger who can take on players and creative with energy, for a target man to chase lost causes, well I think that says everything about what kind of soccer we can expect to see under Nelsen. Get ready for two more years at least of hoofball...
except Oduro is not a target man. he's more of a poacher with pace. if he can maintain 1 goal in 3 games like he did last year and 3 yrs ago, he'll be a solid pick up

MartinUtd
06-06-2014, 05:25 PM

On the flip side how many times have you seen our players NOT run into open space on the counter?

OgtheDim
06-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Oduro is not a forward anymore

He's a right midfielder, as mentioned by him in reports from Columbus and Caldwell today.

gate7
06-06-2014, 05:33 PM
I like the trade but...i wonder why Columbus made it?

Anyone know if he's available tomorrow?

Yohan
06-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Oduro is not a forward anymore

He's a right midfielder, as mentioned by him in reports from Columbus and Caldwell today.
means nothing. if Nelsen wants Oduro to play top (where he's best at), he'll play striker. Oduro can't dribble consistently, average at best first touch and can't cross

Pookie
06-06-2014, 06:00 PM
This is a go for it now move. Oduro will turn 29.

I don't necessarily agree with getting older but 2 of the DPs they signed are under 4 year deals. Barring a trade of one, the window is pretty much now. If either renews they will be 30 and 34.

Let's see what he can do.

Shakes McQueen
06-06-2014, 06:24 PM
means nothing. if Nelsen wants Oduro to play top (where he's best at), he'll play striker. Oduro can't dribble consistently, average at best first touch and can't cross

Columbus fans are indicating that he's actually effective at RM or RW, but was wasted as a striker.

Shakes McQueen
06-06-2014, 06:25 PM

Rey has been kind of terrible this season.

jloome
06-06-2014, 06:38 PM
not really. Oduro is perfect for counter attack based soccer. Oduro will stretch defences

I'd bet that any time we're up against slower fullbacks he has him and Jackson swap sides and play on the inside foot.

ManUtd4ever
06-06-2014, 06:40 PM
I'd bet that any time we're up against slower fullbacks he has him and Jackson swap sides and play on the inside foot.

Yup...maybe even more often than that as neither of them are particularly adept at crossing the ball into the box.

jloome
06-06-2014, 06:41 PM

Bit harsh. His dribbling is mediocre because he relies on a long first touch and then beating guys with pace, like Eddie Johnson when he was young. But I've see him put in the odd decent cross over the years. IT's not his strength, but we'll see him wide, because Nelsen's keen on having all four offensive players with pace.

nonc
06-06-2014, 07:03 PM

What I mean is our linking is trash and Oduro will be lost on an island.

2mil4dero+santo
06-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Rey has been kind of terrible this season.

I would argue that he's played well, but doesn't fit in with our style of play, in that he's a skillful, attack minded player good in possession. The fact that we traded him for an Eddie Johnson type player indicates to me that management doesn't want to play an attacking, attractive type of football. Just my opinion... I'm expecting to watch another season or two (at least) of hoofball. It ain't gonna be pretty...

BuSaPuNk
06-06-2014, 07:57 PM

Really Rollins that you?

Oduro's best time in Columbus is when he was playing on the wings not up top like he has been this year.

Rey has nice skill to get the ball and make a move or two but he can't pass, makes bad descisions with the ball, and he can't cross.

Seen alot of that in Montreal on Wednesday. Our stand was pretty much level with Rey's side of the field. Terrible ball movement. And never tracks back.

This is a upgrade. Huge upgrade compared to Rey.

cochrdoc
06-06-2014, 08:05 PM
What has Rey done for us since he has been here.! goal and 1 assist.Oduro`s pace kept us on our heels when we played against him.Rey is not very athletic and has a low work rate.I think he will struggle in this league.Issey was a better option out wide.Oduro will make an impact

Sweeper
06-06-2014, 08:35 PM
I was expecting Rey to be traded likely next season, but not this soon. I think he is a highly skilled player but doesn't fit our defensive, counter-attack, long ball system. I don't think he has been in a funk, just doesn't fit the system. Good trade, assuming we didn't have to give up more than his salary.

OgtheDim
06-06-2014, 08:52 PM
I would argue that he's played well, but doesn't fit in with our style of play, in that he's a skillful, attack minded player good in possession. ..

He doesn't pass. He can't shoot. He has little to no awareness of people around him when he has the ball. He can't cross. He doesn't track back (which is necessary in MLS from side midfielders).

I see a guy who is wonderful at getting out of a jam near the touchline, which is a great skill - but he needs more to play at this level.

You can't build an attack with guys like Rey.

No team, none, will adjust their defence for Rey.

They all adjust for Oduro.

2mil4dero+santo
06-06-2014, 09:14 PM
He doesn't pass. He can't shoot. He has little to no awareness of people around him when he has the ball. He can't cross. He doesn't track back (which is necessary in MLS from side midfielders).

I see a guy who is wonderful at getting out of a jam near the touchline, which is a great skill - but he needs more to play at this level.

You can't build an attack with guys like Rey.

No team, none, will adjust their defence for Rey.

They all adjust for Oduro.

I agree with you about his defensive capabilities, but come on, he was definitely a skillful attacking player with some awareness and creativity who could take on players. The fact that players with skill and who like to keep the ball on the ground don't fit on this team, says everything you need to know about our managements playing philosophy. I'm not saying its good or bad, just thats what it is. Hoofball players for a hoofball team.

Cashcleaner
06-06-2014, 09:28 PM
I was expecting Rey to be traded likely next season, but not this soon. I think he is a highly skilled player but doesn't fit our defensive, counter-attack, long ball system. I don't think he has been in a funk, just doesn't fit the system. Good trade, assuming we didn't have to give up more than his salary.

Probably a bit of Column A and a bit of Column B. I think you're right in that he has a lot of potential to be a good winger in MLS, but he has tailed off a bit and there could be more than a few reasons for it.

At the end of the day, it sounds like most fans from both clubs are happy with the dead, but barring any unforeseen negotiating craziness I think we edged Columbus out just a little bit more.

Mark TFC
06-06-2014, 11:15 PM
All Rey was good at was getting enough space to cross the ball in. He always lacked passing ability... or just passing, really. I think the match vs. Montreal really did him in. So many times, he just failed to make obvious passes.

Ultra & Proud
06-07-2014, 08:07 AM
I agree with you about his defensive capabilities, but come on, he was definitely a skillful attacking player with some awareness and creativity who could take on players. The fact that players with skill and who like to keep the ball on the ground don't fit on this team, says everything you need to know about our managements playing philosophy. I'm not saying its good or bad, just thats what it is. Hoofball players for a hoofball team.
Please explain, minus the exception that he was good at getting out of jams that he himself created by not running with pace, how he was a skillful attacking player? Everyone complains about the lack of service our forwards get. Who do you think that's partly from? A winger, with skill, who gets one assist in 20 matches? We had loafers like Ricketts who managed more. Taking on players in the middle of the park counts for nothing when that player has nothing to offer in the final third unless it's a defender.

Loyal
06-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Rey played the entire game with "horse racing blinkers" on! Consistently trying to beat 3 or 4 guys one on one with zero awareness of his teammates. The whole league knew exactly what he was going to do on each possession.

[NBF]
06-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Oduro for Rey??????

Warner for Issey?????

http://assets.shitbrix.com/hashed_silo_content/3c5/83e/9a8/resized/ugly-twins-when-you-see-it-you-ll-shit-brix-4507a3.jpg

Abou Sky
06-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Rey played the entire game with "horse racing blinkers" on! Consistently trying to beat 3 or 4 guys one on one with zero awareness of his teammates. The whole league knew exactly what he was going to do on each possession.

Spoke to my son about this in youth play.

Basically, if you think that you have a better chance of making it through three or four players instead of passing the ball, you are freaking stupid!

I wasn't that harsh, but that was the jist of the conversation

brad
06-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Please explain, minus the exception that he was good at getting out of jams that he himself created by not running with pace, how he was a skillful attacking player? Everyone complains about the lack of service our forwards get. Who do you think that's partly from? A winger, with skill, who gets one assist in 20 matches? We had loafers like Ricketts who managed more. Taking on players in the middle of the park counts for nothing when that player has nothing to offer in the final third unless it's a defender.

Agree. One of my favorite sayings is it is what you do with the ball that matters - not how you do it.

Rey had nice footwork an good close control - but did nothing to further the teams attack.

Pookie
06-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Columbus folks seem to be saying that Rey will help them control the ball and move it around the park. Oduro's game suited a route one style and apparently they are going in a different direction.

They also like the "cap" space and figure the Crew are gearing up for a summer signing of another forward.

ensco
06-07-2014, 03:03 PM
It's always about the cap

maninb
06-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Nelsen said it himself...."Rey GAVE the ball away FAT TOO OFTEN to be a benefit to the team going forward"....EXCELLENT trade imo...