PDA

View Full Version : Bradley and Cesar at World Cup 2014

Pages : [1] 2

ensco
06-05-2014, 06:31 PM
This thread is for discussion of our guys at WC2014.

To kick things off:

Klinsmann has been using Bradley as an AM in the pre tourney friendlies. Pretty radical is he actually does that in Brazil
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/sports/soccer/jurgen-klinsmann-gambles-on-michael-bradleys-scoring-prowess-for-us-soccer.html?_r=0

Talk in the local papers that Cesar is staying and will go to Flamengo post WC
http://www.superesportes.com.br/app/19,86/2014/06/02/noticia_flamengo,55564/com-julio-cesar-na-mira-felipe-pode-estar-de-saida-do-flamengo.shtml

MartinUtd
06-06-2014, 12:25 AM
I miss Cesar already. Nothing against Bendik but he just seemed like a top top guy in the locker room... and I was completely blindsided by that due to his stardom.

Cashcleaner
06-06-2014, 03:35 AM
You know, over the years we've had plenty of players come and go at TFC who were either ambivalent about this club and the city, and a few who were downright resentful about having to live and work here. But after seeing clips of both Cesar and Bradley just before taking their leave for the WC break, you can really tell that they have a load of respect for Toronto, TFC, and it's fans. We know Bradley is coming back, but I agree with Martin about Cesar. I wish there was some way we could get him back, even if only for the remainder of the season.

tfcleeds
06-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Bradley with another amazing pass to assist on a goal yesterday. Just so lucky to have a guy as good as he is playing for us.

ManUtd4ever
06-08-2014, 08:50 AM
I will definitely be rooting for Bradley and the Yanks.

Dreadlocks
06-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Rooting for Bradley, NOT the Yanks.

notthesun
06-08-2014, 10:00 AM
After the latest All For One I'm really gonna get behind Brazil (as long as Italy isn't playing them), would love to see Julio Cesar win it.

flamehawk
06-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Rooting for Bradley, NOT the Yanks.

In this strange bind, where I've always hated the Yanks hoping that they'd do poorly ... but now, with the number of MLS players, I want them to show that the league is competitive..

ensco
06-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Maybe Cesar will be back when he is out of contract. I don't think it would take DP money.

Shakes McQueen
06-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Anyone else see that Koevermans was at the game yesterday? Said he was on vacation in Toronto, and added without even being prompted that he wanted to move to Canada permanently one day.

Hopefully this city has a similar effect on Cesar, because I'd love to bring him back.

razor787
06-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Maybe Cesar will be back when he is out of contract. I don't think it would take DP money.

Unless he gets sold, his contract doesn't end until after the 2016 EPL season. I doubt he will have much in the tank after that.

I would love to see him back as a goalkeeper coach when he retires though. Couldn't think of anyone better for the job.

Jack
06-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Anyone else see that Koevermans was at the game yesterday? Said he was on vacation in Toronto, and added without even being prompted that he wanted to move to Canada permanently one day.

Hopefully this city has a similar effect on Cesar, because I'd love to bring him back.
He was also at the Columbus match, in the front row of 112 ;)

Initial B
06-08-2014, 09:12 PM

They actually interviewed him at halftime on TSN. He's now an assistant coach with Utrecht and was here on vacation, enjoying the city. I wonder if he would make a good assistant for TFC?

Bantamfan
06-08-2014, 09:41 PM
I would like to think that even if Ceasar is not returning after the World Cup that He would make an appearance at centre field to acknowledge the support he received here because I think he is genuine in what he says and his emotion that we saw in the All for One episode

Abou Sky
06-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Got my US National Team flags on the way

Should be here by Thursday

http://soccer4all.com/us-soccer-national-team-car-flag-1.html

Detroit_TFC
06-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Amusing snippet during tonight's episode of ESPN's documentary series on the USMNT. Bradley says to Altidore he should come to Toronto and play up front with Defoe. "We can't afford to pay you though..." Bradley continued. Pretty hilarious.

Detroit_TFC
06-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Now ESPN has a docu on Brazil's NT and there is a segment with Julio Cesar. He talked about how fucked up things got at QPR when he was benched - to the point he was training separately in a park with his son. Then the TFC gig materialized "overnight" and he went on and on about how great his experience at TFC was and how it got him ready for WC. I am literally tearing up. Top shelf stuff.

Pint
06-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Now ESPN has a docu on Brazil's NT and there is a segment with Julio Cesar. He talked about how fucked up things got at QPR when he was benched - to the point he was training separately in a park with his son. Then the TFC gig materialized "overnight" and he went on and on about how great his experience at TFC was and how it got him ready for WC. I am literally tearing up. Top shelf stuff.

Video clips... We need video clips lol

Abou Sky
06-10-2014, 09:04 PM

Think about how much that will do for the club!

Detroit_TFC
06-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Think about how much that will do for the club!

I know TFC has a dubious record in how it has treated players but I 100% think they did right by Julio Cesar and he is going to be a big advocate of TFC in his circles.

Detroit_TFC
06-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Video clips... We need video clips lol

Will keep my eyes open for one, wish I was more handy with that kind of stuff. His description of his situation at QPR was heartwrenching and his description of his time at TFC made me proud to be a TFC supporter.

razor787
06-10-2014, 09:37 PM
...just got answered

Pint
06-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Will keep my eyes open for one, wish I was more handy with that kind of stuff. His description of his situation at QPR was heartwrenching and his description of his time at TFC made me proud to be a TFC supporter.

Thanks, hopefully they will be on youtube in the next few days. I have a few brazilian friends who were not all that happy their starter came here and i want to send the clip to them.

Fort York Redcoat
06-11-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. It's really up to us as "the soccer guys" in our respective lives to remind people that the millions of people watching are watching a TFC player we got to see play live this season.

Detroit_TFC
06-11-2014, 10:05 AM
For the ESPN Inside US Soccer programs, try this link - I have no idea if it is geo locked, etc, so results may vary:

http://www.socceroverthere.com/?p=16710

C.Ronaldo
06-11-2014, 10:35 AM

The Koevs all striker academy? tell me where I can sign my kid up

Also, it just clicked that we have two WC players out there. One with a good chance of winning it all. That's pretty Fn cool

Red CB Toronto
06-11-2014, 11:39 AM
All the episodes of March to Brazil are on YouTube parts 1 thru 6. It gives you an amazing look at everything the USMNT is all about and how lucky the Reds are to have a leader in the General.

Alonso
06-11-2014, 12:00 PM
For the ESPN Inside US Soccer programs, try this link - I have no idea if it is geo locked, etc, so results may vary:

http://www.socceroverthere.com/?p=16710

Sweet, thanks for this Alan... I saw one episode of this last night and definitely want to see the rest.

Great look at professional and international soccer.

jloome
06-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Instant drinking game: do a shot every time you hear "Toronto FC" used at the World Cup. Drink a beer every time you see it on screen, or hear "TFC". If it's not frequent enough and you have days off for the World Cup, just drink anyway.

razor787
06-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Instant drinking game: do a shot every time you hear "Toronto FC" used at the World Cup. Drink a beer every time you see it on screen, or hear "TFC". If it's not frequent enough and you have days off for the World Cup, just drink anyway.

That will be a grand total of 2 shots.

Shakes McQueen
06-11-2014, 08:11 PM

Hey, get your own game!

tfcleeds
06-11-2014, 08:24 PM

Yeah, won't get drunk enough. ;)

ensco
06-11-2014, 08:34 PM
That will be a grand total of 2 shots.

Maybe in the USA and Brazil games, but if England's strikers are misfiring, you will hear TFC mentioned by the English announcers more than once!

razor787
06-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Maybe in the USA and Brazil games, but if England's strikers are misfiring, you will hear TFC mentioned by the English announcers more than once!

True. They will likely be complaining about our signing though. Even though we actually gave him minutes...

ensco
06-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Cesar in the XI today. No surprise.

ManUtd4ever
06-12-2014, 02:59 PM
As it appears that Cesar's limited days with TFC are over, I wish him well, but I will certainly be following Bradley's performance in Brazil with far more interest.

Couchy81
06-12-2014, 03:04 PM
good luck cesar!

ManUtd4ever
06-12-2014, 03:12 PM

Everyone have a drink, TFC was just mentioned. That didn't take long.

Couchy81
06-12-2014, 04:52 PM
ESPN announcers just mentioned Toronto, in the same sentence as "people wondering if julio cesar is a weak link"

Richard
06-12-2014, 05:03 PM
ESPN announcers just mentioned Toronto, in the same sentence as "people wondering if julio cesar is a weak link"

Well after today he made a good save, but to be honest he should have hanged onto the weak shots instead of a rebound occurring. He also got lucky on the play with Olic, he lost that ball in the air but the ref called it back.

That Brazil defense is going to get torched by better teams though, they look shaky at best once they need to fall back into their 3rd of the pitch.

TFC07
06-12-2014, 05:53 PM
CBC feed didn't mention Toronto FC at all.

OgtheDim
06-12-2014, 06:23 PM

That Brazil defense is going to get torched by better teams though, they look shaky at best once they need to fall back into their 3rd of the pitch.

As their knockout game will be against one of Chile, Netherlands or Spain (Australia ain't going to advance), I get the strong suspicion they know they will have to clamp down.

Opening game nerves.

ensco
06-12-2014, 07:11 PM
I thought Cesar looked pretty tentative out there, and it nearly cost them. He got to a couple of long drives late, which meant he couldn't control the rebound, and he was pretty fortunate that the foul was given on that late play - he shouldn't have needed that.

Edit: I see Richard said something very similar above.

Loved his sprint after the tying goal.

manitou22
06-12-2014, 09:07 PM
After the latest All For One I'm really gonna get behind Brazil (as long as Italy isn't playing them), would love to see Julio Cesar win it.
For those who haven't seen it ; "Julio Cesar's Emotional Goodbye"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0yxuMwxfmc

Cuppy
06-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Totally agree with backing Brazil for Julio. Never thought I would like to see Brazil win but I have nothing but respect for JC after watching that All for One episode

mcolvy
06-13-2014, 12:51 AM
Well after today he made a good save, but to be honest he should have hanged onto the weak shots instead of a rebound occurring. He also got lucky on the play with Olic, he lost that ball in the air but the ref called it back.

Luiz over Dante is a serious error.

Fort York Redcoat
06-13-2014, 07:12 AM
CBC feed didn't mention Toronto FC at all.

They did in the preamble. So, the local broadcast did. I'm okay with that.

jloome
06-13-2014, 09:41 AM
They did in the preamble. So, the local broadcast did. I'm okay with that.

There's been some discussion on Euro forums about Michael Bradley getting offers from teams over there after the Cup. Hopefully not, but it should lead to more TFC mentions during U.S. games!

OgtheDim
06-13-2014, 10:48 AM
There's been some discussion on Euro forums about Michael Bradley getting offers from teams over there after the Cup. Hopefully not, but it should lead to more TFC mentions during U.S. games!

I'd discount anything about all that. A lot of press are down in Brazil and have nothing to do but speculate. Any player who makes a good play is going to be linked with Harry Redknapp.

mcolvy
06-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Seriously though, Bradley has a world cup and gets an offer from a top champions league team. Is he tempted?
He was on a top team last year in Roma, who showed well in Serie A, but hated the lack of playing time.
We should be safe, but I am not interested in these off season loans. Just ego stroking for these guys to test themselves and prove they still got it.
I want them to rest. I want them to heal. We do not need to get involved with Bradley or especially Defoe.
Send the kids away though.

Defoe
06-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Seriously though, Bradley has a world cup and gets an offer from a top champions league team. Is he tempted?
He was on a top team last year in Roma, who showed well in Serie A, but hated the lack of playing time.
We should be safe, but I am not interested in these off season loans. Just ego stroking for these guys to test themselves and prove they still got it.
I want them to rest. I want them to heal. We do not need to get involved with Bradley or especially Defoe.

Before the move to Toronto Bradley was on record stating he wanted to move to Arsenal as they were looking for a midfielder, they bought Kim Kallstrom instead, and honestly Bradley is a much better player. Americans haven't really garnered much respect in England. Bradley will have a good tournament, and if the U.S get out of the group stage, interest will be their in Bradley... he told ESPN (and I'm paraphrasing) Toronto FC was the only team in the world that wanted me to come in and be the main man... He is very underrated. I want to keep him long term, and he seems happy as of now, but you can't control these things... and if there's profits to be made it's never a bad situation, it's just business... thought I wouldn't worry.

OgtheDim
06-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Bradley will never be the main man in a Champions League team. He's good, but he's got neither the recognized skill of a Pirlo or the longevity at one team of a Gerrard. This is about perception. At Arsenal, he would have been a squad player and not better off then he was at Roma - that's why Arsenal went with Kallstrom, as he accepted what his role was going to be.

Bradley could easily be the main man at a Europa league team or somebody on the cusp of CL, like Everton. I doubt a team like that would pay him and MLSE enough for his services.

Sure, he might have a great World Cup and Man City might want to swoop in and offer $20 million. But he'd sit on the bench.

jloome
06-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Bradley will never be the main man in a Champions League team. He's good, but he's got neither the recognized skill of a Pirlo or the longevity at one team of a Gerrard. This is about perception. At Arsenal, he would have been a squad player and not better off then he was at Roma - that's why Arsenal went with Kallstrom, as he accepted what his role was going to be.

Bradley could easily be the main man at a Europa league team or somebody on the cusp of CL, like Everton. I doubt a team like that would pay him and MLSE enough for his services.

Sure, he might have a great World Cup and Man City might want to swoop in and offer $20 million. But he'd sit on the bench.

I guess it's less likely when you look at the money. He's getting 73,000 pounds a week at TFC, which is higher end for non-champions league teams. Plus I think there are cultural issues involved. With the exception of Fulham, where Brian McBride's leadership shifted perceptions, Americans tend to be the nationality Brits love to hate (at least, they were when I was living there in the 70s and 80s, and if you saw the rhetoric that accompanies every (mostly deserved) criticism of Jozy Altidore, you'd think the words "Yank" and "Wank" were synonymous). Tim Howard's a good example of a success at Everton, as well, but it goes one of two ways: the US player is either his team's star and they love him... or he's the weak link that reminds them all of why America knows nothing about Football.

It's kind of how some Canadians used to treat Russian hockey players when they first broke in over here. The Don used to famously predict that neither Russians nor Europeans would ever make it in the NHL.

ensco
06-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Regardless of role, Bradley got offered $36M to come here, which had to be triple the amount of total dollars anyone else would have committed to him in January.

I think the question of whether his value goes up sharply, if he has a monster WC, is interesting. Although I suspect he would have to be really special, a World XI type performance, for anything to happen.

ag futbol
06-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Agreed. Those off season loans are garbage, they put far too much wear-and-tear on the players.

If Bradley gets offers it might be tough to say no. But the price will be quite hefty. The Michael Bradley Roof perhaps?

notthesun
06-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Geiger producing the best refereed match of the tournament so far, go figure.

Red CB Toronto
06-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Anyone coming down to the Office Pub, US Headquarters on John St Monday for their first game vs. Ghana?

Shakes McQueen
06-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Agreed. Those off season loans are garbage, they put far too much wear-and-tear on the players.

If Bradley gets offers it might be tough to say no. But the price will be quite hefty. The Michael Bradley Roof perhaps?

I hope he doesn't make such a request. We are paying him a ton of money to play here - well over market value - and shouldn't be pressured into sending him overseas all winter to potentially wreck his knees or something.

He's also not some guy we got for two years at the end of his career - he's young, and will be the core of our team for years.

Fort York Redcoat
06-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Anyone coming down to the Office Pub, US Headquarters on John St Monday for their first game vs. Ghana?

I'm heading there in my Canada gear. See ya then, Pahdnuh!!

CBTFC
06-16-2014, 05:15 PM
the commentator was just talking about bradley...and he said "joined fc toronto of the mls"

:facepalm:

Couchy81
06-16-2014, 05:41 PM
I just saw a couple of TFC jerseys in the shots of the U.S supporters.

brad
06-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Nice shot of a TFC jersey on the replay of Dempsy's goal

mowe
06-16-2014, 05:44 PM
I just saw a couple of TFC jerseys in the shots of the U.S supporters.

http://i.imgur.com/ymSsuWl.png

Couchy81
06-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Man I really miss Brahma. That was my beer ever so briefly in the early 2000s

Red CB Toronto
06-16-2014, 06:06 PM

Who the heck wears club jerseys to a national team game, that is just a big no no.

razor787
06-16-2014, 06:15 PM
What's wrong with that? They are likely Canadians, and the back of the shirt probably says 'Bradley'.

No way in hell I would buy a US shirt, but I would still want to show my support for the player if I was down in Brazil.

Yohan
06-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Bradley has been horrid. TFC must have ruined him :p

flamehawk
06-16-2014, 06:43 PM

Ya, pretty much playing as he had for TFC after his injury. Still doesn't look 100%

TFC07
06-16-2014, 06:43 PM

Agreed about Bradley being horrible in the game so far. USA is looking like TFC out there (score a goal, then sit back to defend and keep their shape)

flamehawk
06-16-2014, 06:54 PM
I feel dirty cheering that goal just now! Who would've thought, cheering on an American goal.

TFC07
06-16-2014, 06:55 PM
I feel dirty cheering that goal just now! Who would've thought, cheering on an American goal.

I know what you mean. It's weird cheering for USA.

flamehawk
06-16-2014, 07:02 PM
I know what you mean. It's weird cheering for USA.

I still remember cheering fervently for Ghana in their matches against USA the past two world cups. How times have changed with the MLS

Couchy81
06-16-2014, 07:02 PM
My wife is American so I feel no guilt. Wow so lucky. Bradly wtf are you doing man? Step it up next game.

TFC07
06-16-2014, 07:04 PM
I still remember cheering fervently for Ghana in their matches against USA the past two world cups. How times have changed with the MLS

Yeah, winning this game was important for MLS to show the world that it's good league with quality players who can play against best in the world.

Now if they get result against Portugal than it's going to be huge for our league.

OgtheDim
06-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Bradley was so so. Having issue with the speed and thus his decision making. Still can pass well but based on that, he ain't going anywhere.

ensco
06-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Man, I'll never understand why so many Canadians hate the USA. Forget the "natural rivals" stuff, it's made up, we are soccer rivals with nobody. Who do people think is actually standing beside us when the missiles start flying?

The setup is perfect, with Portugal's GD destroyed, a draw against Portugal may well be enough, and Pepe and Coentrao will both be out.

Dunkers
06-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Yeah, winning this game was important for MLS to show the world that it's good league with quality players who can play against best in the world.

Now if they get result against Portugal than it's going to be huge for our league.

I really want to agree with this post, but I think it was one of the Lalas guys or Twelman who said (I know, I know, they are tools, but hear me out) If the US wins its despite the MLS, if the US loses its becasue of the MLS. I hope there is enough MLS talent that does well in this tourney to put that "logic" to rest. At least Dempsey helped!

Couchy81
06-16-2014, 07:52 PM
I really want to agree with this post, but I think it was one of the Lalas guys or Twelman who said (I know, I know, they are tools, but hear me out) If the US wins its despite the MLS, if the US loses its becasue of the MLS. I hope there is enough MLS talent that does well in this tourney to put that "logic" to rest. At least Dempsey helped!

So did Zusi's cross.

Defoe
06-16-2014, 08:02 PM

what an amazing win for Concacaf and MLS... The best concacaf team just beat the best African team... Mexico won and even Costa Rica so our continent is 3-1. Great game overall, very exciting match!! Dempsey scores 30 seconds in, unreal... To bad about Altidore he's important...unfortunately Bradley wasn't very good. Hopefully this brings some more excitement to our sport in North America... I grew up playing hockey and although I played rep soccer it was always 2nd... Now I think soccer is the best sport in the world. I'm putting my kids in soccer f*** hockey. Also Howard played amazing... Ghana dominated no doubt about it. It will be very hard to draw Portugal though.

ManUtd4ever
06-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Huge win for the Yanks, and I'm happy for them. Bradley was very average today, but he had a couple of moments that were reminiscent of his form prior to his injury. He just needs more time.

Mark TFC
06-16-2014, 08:47 PM
My buddy texted me saying that there was a TFC jersey in the crowd at the USA v. Ghana match. Did anyone else see it?

razor787
06-16-2014, 08:52 PM
My buddy texted me saying that there was a TFC jersey in the crowd at the USA v. Ghana match. Did anyone else see it?

Nope, haven't seen it...

Mark TFC
06-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Nope, haven't seen it...

Hahaha! I did a quick reply and missed the post above. My bad, homie.

Wagner
06-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Who the heck wears club jerseys to a national team game, that is just a big no no.
it might not be to the culture for some.
but how effing amazing is it that our Crest was seen on the international feed?
there have been lots of Club kits...I've seen ManU, BVB, TFC...it's all good.

Big Ups to the guys that are wearing TFC gear.
we wouldn't have known they were there otherwise.
and it's promoting our team.

OgtheDim
06-16-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm seriously worried that Bradley has been overtrained by Klinsmann.

If he comes back from the WC and plays like he did the last time he came back from the USMNT, July is going to be a long month.

Dreadlocks
06-16-2014, 09:59 PM

That is crazy...I took the same pic and came here to post. The time on my image was 34:53, this one is 34:54....

Edit: Now the club has tweeted the pic....

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/478672743823867904/photo/1

Red CB Toronto
06-16-2014, 10:43 PM
it might not be to the culture for some.
but how effing amazing is it that our Crest was seen on the international feed?
there have been lots of Club kits...I've seen ManU, BVB, TFC...it's all good.

Big Ups to the guys that are wearing TFC gear.
we wouldn't have known they were there otherwise.
and it's promoting our team.

I agree with the promotion, but as some people said Bradley is on the back, no way those are old jersey's.

Wagner
06-17-2014, 05:47 AM
I agree with the promotion, but as some people said Bradley is on the back, no way those are old jersey's.
but what about the price of tea in China?

Pookie
06-17-2014, 06:00 AM

Not sure I agree with the conclusion that it would be huge for the league on the world stage.

They aren't relaxing player quotas anytime soon.

It would be big for USA soccer though. The fact that the USA is rated high is a testament to their development system. If which MLS is a key component. Ideally, they will encourage more young athletes to choose this sport over the others. If that happens, it will improve the talent of the league.

ensco
06-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Who are the headless men in the photo?

This is not the first time the world has wondered.
http://fascinatinghistory.blogspot.ca/2005/07/duchess-of-argyll-and-headless-men.html

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Man, I'll never understand why so many Canadians hate the USA. Forget the "natural rivals" stuff, it's made up, we are soccer rivals with nobody. Who do people think is actually standing beside us when the missiles start flying?

The setup is perfect, with Portugal's GD destroyed, a draw against Portugal may well be enough, and Pepe and Coentrao will both be out.

You do not get upset watching Canada vs specific teams. Good for you. I do. That means a rivalry. I am not alone.

You repeating your opinion to the contrary doesn't make it any less so.

Further more, MADE UP? Rivalry's are made. Over time, they are made. So your take on how natural this or other (yes there are others) rivalries are has no bearing on my outlook on certain matchups.

But go ahead and insist you don't care about results from one matchup vs another if it makes you feel better.

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2014, 07:03 AM

I am disappointed to see club shirts at an international match as well but the connection is undeniable and the age of the jersey worn has no bearing to the point. Of course it's a new Bradley jersey.

T-boy
06-17-2014, 07:27 AM
I'm seriously worried that Bradley has been overtrained by Klinsmann.

If he comes back from the WC and plays like he did the last time he came back from the USMNT, July is going to be a long month.

It just looked like Bradley had been asked to stick in the middle and play conservatively. The supposed line up showed Bradley just behind Altidore - but Bradley never played in that position all game. Beckermann played just in front of the defenders, then Bradley was always a couple of yards further forward, definitely not AM. I'd put his performance down to tactics and what he'd been asked to do, rather than playing injured or overtrained.

Wince
06-17-2014, 07:28 AM
Bradley was very average today

If that's going to be his form through the tournament, then it's safe to say there won't be a bidding war for him as I've seen speculated in other threads.

Phil
06-17-2014, 07:39 AM

No way those shirts have Bradley on them, if they do I would be shocked. Both are OLD shirts that Bradley never wore.

As for wearing a club shirt to an international game, not my cup of tea but I guess its footy mania. Same as full kit wankers wearing a Barca shirt, shorts and socks to a TFC game (yes I have seen it!).

In the end, who really cares? At least its the right sport.

tfcleeds
06-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Eh, I'm not too bothered about what people wear to matches, especially the World Cup. It's a celebration of football. Maybe some Brazilians want to wear a jersey of a local club team that represents their city in a place like Belo Horizonte or Salvador, when the Selecao aren't playing. I bet there's a whole cornucopia of jerseys to be seen at any given game.

In any case, I was glad our club got repped like that.

Beach_Red
06-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Who are the headless men in the photo?

This is not the first time the world has wondered.
http://fascinatinghistory.blogspot.ca/2005/07/duchess-of-argyll-and-headless-men.html

That's a great story, I hope the people who made "The King's Speech," turn it into a movie.

OgtheDim
06-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Good players in the World Cup are seen as good players - what league they play in means little to most people.

ensco
06-17-2014, 07:56 AM
You do not get upset watching Canada vs specific teams. Good for you. I do. That means a rivalry. I am not alone.

You repeating your opinion to the contrary doesn't make it any less so.

Further more, MADE UP? Rivalry's are made. Over time, they are made. So your take on how natural this or other (yes there are others) rivalries are has no bearing on my outlook on certain matchups.

But go ahead and insist you don't care about results from one matchup vs another if it makes you feel better.

I actually have not pointed this out more than once or twice before. But these are the facts:

Canada hasn't played a truly meaningful game with anyone in almost 30 years.

If asked, no one, and I mean no one, in the Outlaws or Sam's Army would say Canada is a rival. This isn't like Habs fans who say the Leafs rivalry is overblown, this is different, they don't know we exist.

It may be a rivalry for some. It's a free country. But it isn't a real rivalry.

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2014, 08:29 AM
I actually have not pointed this out more than once or twice before. But these are the facts:

If asked, no one, and I mean no one, in the Outlaws or Sam's Army would say Canada is a rival. This isn't like Habs fans who say the Leafs rivalry is overblown, this is different, they don't know we exist.

It's real for some. That is what I'm saying. Feel free to wait till a majority agrees with it.

Phil
06-17-2014, 08:31 AM

The revalry is a spill over from Hockey and any other sport we have a measuring contest over.

Areathrasher
06-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Eh, I'm not too bothered about what people wear to matches, especially the World Cup. It's a celebration of football. Maybe some Brazilians want to wear a jersey of a local club team that represents their city in a place like Belo Horizonte or Salvador, when the Selecao aren't playing. I bet there's a whole cornucopia of jerseys to be seen at any given game.

Yup, there have been a ton of Brazilian club shirts in the crowd.

Club jerseys at international games is a non issue IMO

Alonso
06-17-2014, 08:54 AM

Me neither, seems more then odd that anyone would.

brad
06-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Good players in the World Cup are seen as good players - what league they play in means little to most people.

I tend to agree. A strong run by the US might get some people to check out the MLS, but Id also bet most of those will turn it off pretty quickly once the see the quality of it (particularly those that are watching the game locally at a higher level).

What a good world cup could do is pave the pathway out of the MLS for some of the players.

ManUtd4ever
06-17-2014, 09:36 AM

Agreed.

Canary10
06-17-2014, 09:44 AM
I was disappointed in the game Bradley had. Didn't look like his usual imposing self. It was hard to figure out where he was playing as well. He was supposed to be the top of the diamond but was often deeper than Beckerman. Hopefully plays better the next game.

jabbronies
06-17-2014, 09:58 AM

I agree - the world cup is a celebration of football. Wear what you want - you are there representing your nation/local town.
In that screen cap of the guys wearing TFC gear - hell or any MLS gear is cool by me - The US team is made up of a lot of MLS players. that is enough of a connection IMO.

As an MLS player playing in a foreign country - if you see a guy cheering for you wearing one of the kits of a club you play against back home - there is a weird feeling of comfort knowing that you've got a larger group of people supporting you. It hits at that "loyalty to the league" string in you.

Also if you know how the ticketing works for this tournament - you know that you are not guaranteed to get the games that you want.
You may end up at a Switzerland/Ecuador match and not really have the inclination to buy one of their national team jerseys. But you still want to rock some football gear to show your support for the game.

However, the guys who wear full Barca kits to a TFC match are douches though. I don't see the connection or the purpose of douching out that hard.

barticusz
06-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Bradley seem to shift up to the AM role whenever they got forward (which wasn't often) and then he dropped back and the US seemed to play a 4-5-1 on defense. Bradley doesn't seem to have his game back yet since his "minor" surgery. That or the guy is fatigued. It's been a long year for him.

T-boy
06-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Bradley seem to shift up to the AM role whenever they got forward (which wasn't often) and then he dropped back and the US seemed to play a 4-5-1 on defense. Bradley doesn't seem to have his game back yet since his "minor" surgery. That or the guy is fatigued. It's been a long year for him.

It just looked like he was asked to sit with Beckermann in front of the defenders, I don't think how he played has anything to do with injury or form. If he wasn't playing how Klinsmann wanted him to, he would have been subbed. I think Bradley played EXACTLY how Jurgen asked him to.

barticusz
06-17-2014, 12:06 PM
It just looked like he was asked to sit with Beckermann in front of the defenders, I don't think how he played has anything to do with injury or form. If he wasn't playing how Klinsmann wanted him to, he would have been subbed. I think Bradley played EXACTLY how Jurgen asked him to.

That's a good point. No argument from me there. He wasn't his usual reliable self however. A few mental errors. Overall though, boy did I love watching a TFC player play at the World Cup. :D

ryan
06-17-2014, 12:31 PM

Those are facts?

Ahhhhhhhhh.

Between this, the debate I had a while back about our history with Honduras, the jdg2 discussion in the player transfer thread......

Just what in the fuck am I reading sometimes.

Couchy81
06-17-2014, 02:48 PM
More ESPN recognition of Cesar playing games in the MLS for Toronto this broadcast.

jloome
06-17-2014, 06:43 PM
That's a great story, I hope the people who made "The King's Speech," turn it into a movie.

Dude! You live! Good to see you on the boards, mang.

jloome
06-17-2014, 06:52 PM

And go ahead and insist you do care about results if it...

See where I'm going here. Weird tangent, dude. Screaming 'your opinion is no more valid than mine' is somewhat pointless when the point of discussion boards is to discuss, which typically involves rendering an opinion. Particularly when the complaint about his opinion comes in a rant about your opinion.

I think Ensco's forgotten the Gold Cup win in 2000, so 30 years is a bit harsh. I would say the U.S. doesn't consider us a serious rival in anything except hockey, and there we're the big brother. Canadians have an inferiority complex about the lack of recognition from most Americans that we're culturally superior in some ways. We have one-tenth of their pop, so it's a natural feeling, and quite natural to feel good about beating a country ten times our size. THat's where it stems from, and until the early 90s, we p. much owned them in soccer, which people remember.

We have huge cultural landmarks that clash with either America's version of the same events or their methods of demarking such events, so again, it's natural for there to be some enmity.

Personally, I support the U.S. but I also like beating the U.S. They're a hell of a dichotomy as a society, because they have a system that can reward people with great wealth and yet one that, through an orthodoxy not just of competition but of capitalizing on weakness, reflect an individualism that, while intrinsically essential to the human spirit and progress via change, is also decidedly arrogant, anti-social and occasionally inhumane.

I find them just a bit mental in the depth of belief they have in their country and its alleged infallibility. Only they could come up with a statement like "my country, right or wrong," without consideration of the fact that wrong means their decision is, by definition.... wrong.

ensco
06-17-2014, 07:51 PM
^The Gold Cup is a set of friendlies, really, and doesn't count much. So many players opt out.

I'm talking about the only thing 80% of the soccer-interested public really cares about -WC qualification. I exaggerate, it's been 20 years (the 1994 cycle) since we played games that would have put us in. That Australia playoff was epic, maybe they are rivals.

If we had been at USA 1994 that would have changed the course of soccer history in this country.

ManUtd4ever
06-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Mexico's keeper was absolutely brilliant today, overshadowing a solid performance by Cesar.

Alonso
06-17-2014, 08:31 PM

See where I'm going here. Weird tangent, dude. Screaming 'your opinion is no more valid than mine' is somewhat pointless when the point of discussion boards is to discuss, which typically involves rendering an opinion. Particularly when the complaint about his opinion comes in a rant about your opinion.

I think Ensco's forgotten the Gold Cup win in 2000, so 30 years is a bit harsh. I would say the U.S. doesn't consider us a serious rival in anything except hockey, and there we're the big brother. Canadians have an inferiority complex about the lack of recognition from most Americans that we're culturally superior in some ways. We have one-tenth of their pop, so it's a natural feeling, and quite natural to feel good about beating a country ten times our size. THat's where it stems from, and until the early 90s, we p. much owned them in soccer, which people remember.

We have huge cultural landmarks that clash with either America's version of the same events or their methods of demarking such events, so again, it's natural for there to be some enmity.

Personally, I support the U.S. but I also like beating the U.S. They're a hell of a dichotomy as a society, because they have a system that can reward people with great wealth and yet one that, through an orthodoxy not just of competition but of capitalizing on weakness, reflect an individualism that, while intrinsically essential to the human spirit and progress via change, is also decidedly arrogant, anti-social and occasionally inhumane.

I find them just a bit mental in the depth of belief they have in their country and its alleged infallibility. Only they could come up with a statement like "my country, right or wrong," without consideration of the fact that wrong means their decision is, by definition.... wrong.

Well done... seriously.

That is a great synopsis of my view on Canadian culture with respect to the USA, and personally reflects my feelings.

Lately, I have found myself getting past my anti-americanism, and viewing it more rationally.

The USA in a sense is our 'big brother' on most issues and in most forums, but we hold our own and have some things to teach them. I am over my default anti-american position and find myself cheering them on in the world cup. I love an under dog and love the 'America, Fuck Yeah!' mentality even more.

Seriously, is there any country more bold than the US of A? Lessons for us to take?

lobo
06-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Seriously, is there any country more bold than the US of A? Lessons for us to take?

Yes, Russia (see Crimea annexation).

But yeah, there are lessons for us to take - I especially like the US idea of public referendum to change laws and policies. Wish we had that instead of nanny governments making decisions which are almost always for self-serving political or ideological reasons. It would be just a little nice if we could actually hold our politicians accountable once in a while.

And I agree with you about jloome's post, it fits me too. And very well stated.

Back on topic --- I do not support USA at the WC, but I do wish them well.

TFC07
06-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Canada needs to look how Australia (similar size and culture) turn their soccer program around to become relevant in soccer world. I feel like Canada has so much potential to become a CONCACAF powerhouse and qualifying for World Cup every time like USA and Mexico.

OgtheDim
06-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Back to the topic:

Cesar had a decent enough game today. Looked lively making sure all those balls that just barely missed just barely missed.

T-boy
06-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Back to the topic:

Cesar had a decent enough game today. Looked lively making sure all those balls that just barely missed just barely missed.

I think some of those dives were for the cameramen and slo-mo replays!

Abou Sky
06-17-2014, 10:21 PM
One time at the playground with my two boys, 4 & 2 at the time, a kid who was probably 4-5 came up and took my 2 year old's ball. 2 year old starts crying and 4 year old runs across the playground and tackles the other kid and says 'that's my brothers ball'

That said, they of course fight with each other.

That is how I view our relationship with the US, against each other, mad crazy competition.

When there are outsiders involved 'that's my brothers ball'

jloome
06-17-2014, 11:04 PM
I think some of those dives were for the cameramen and slo-mo replays!

A few of those he could have snagged, I think, but I expect he's a little more cautious when it's at that level.

Fort York Redcoat
06-18-2014, 07:34 AM

Appreciate you adding your opinion on the subject.

And while I think you broke the matrix with your wording I believe we're getting to the same point. Except I don't find it pointless or redundant to refresh the fact that opinion can be expressed without belittling the opposing minority view.

brad
06-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Mexico definitely had Cesar pegged as the weak link. Seemed to be trying to test him from distance at every opportunity.

ryan
06-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Mexico definitely had Cesar pegged as the weak link. Seemed to be trying to test him from distance at every opportunity.

I don't think it was the wrong approach, they just couldn't keep it under the bar.

Fort York Redcoat
06-18-2014, 08:58 AM

I think Cesar had all but one of those shots covered even if they had been on net. It should do wonders for the confidence but his defenders need to shut that down.

C.Ronaldo
06-18-2014, 09:05 AM

pretty much how it is with everything they do.

The ones that travel outside the USA are either coming around to see that or flat out hate how everyone else doesn't do it their way.

Its a really complicated country with extremely different views. I'm impressed that all of the states have stayed together things long

OgtheDim
06-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Cahill goal of the tournament, most likely.

If the Aussies lose today, guess who he'll be playing against a week this coming Saturday?

Red CB Toronto
06-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Cahill goal of the tournament, most likely?

If the Aussies lose today, guess who he'll be playing against a week this coming Saturday?

Do players at the World Cup get a two week break like they did after the 2012 Euros.

tfcleeds
06-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Cahill now out against Spain. So now it appears likely Aussie will be going home early unless some other hero emerges, but I imagine he'd be getting a breather afterwards anyways. Don't imagine he'll be in the lineup against us.

ryan
06-18-2014, 11:58 AM
I would say the U.S. doesn't consider us a serious rival in anything except hockey, and there we're the big brother.

Rugby and Tennis fans would surely disagree. Not to forget our Winter Olympians either. ;)

Oldtimer
06-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Rugby and Tennis fans would surely disagree. Not to forget our Winter Olympians either. ;)

Add curling.

Red CB Toronto
06-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Alexi Lalas , the soccer rocker, a true man of the people.

Fort York Redcoat
06-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Guys I know this thread is curvy but it's not a general World Cup thread.

Cesar and Bradley is where it started.

Richard
06-18-2014, 01:27 PM

It might as well be a general thread as we don't even have a GD thread to being with, individual nation threads don't count.

ryan
06-18-2014, 01:28 PM

MLS is on break, RPB forum rules included.

No?

I was having fun, don't lie, you were too.

Fort York Redcoat
06-18-2014, 02:07 PM
It might as well be a general thread as we don't even have a GD thread to being with, individual nation threads don't count.

Anyone can start a GD thread. So it might as well stay as on topic as possible.

Thanks.

Abou Sky
06-18-2014, 10:50 PM
FYR, not trying to get into something here.

But why is the transfer thread constantly allowed to go all over the place, but you are so adamant about keeping this on track?

Fort York Redcoat
06-19-2014, 07:43 AM
FYR, not trying to get into something here.

But why is the transfer thread constantly allowed to go all over the place, but you are so adamant about keeping this on track?

This is a great question. PM forthcoming.

Everyone else with like questions or others concerning moderating please PM myself or another mod.

OgtheDim
06-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Bradley doing much better tonight.

PAOK17
06-22-2014, 07:01 PM
All Bradley had to do was kick it down the field at that point. I knew once he turned it over in the middle of the park there that Portugal would come back and score.

Hard luck.

speckles
06-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Bradley doing much better tonight.

Yes however not world class, dispossessed to lose the game...

mowe
06-22-2014, 07:02 PM
WOW what a game. I'm actually gutted for the Americans.

And Bradley, goddamn. Missed a sitter and gave away the ball that turned into the tying goal. Who would've thought.

Globetrotter
06-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Michael Bradley's fault 100% on the last goal. He let Portugal go tie the game.

notthesun
06-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Bradley's having a bit of a stinker of a World Cup huh? Not sure what to think about it really.

Couchy81
06-22-2014, 07:10 PM
As soon as Bradley gave the ball away I had a bad feeling.

Wow man just fucking kick the ball. Hopefully not a premonition for TFC.

Oldtimer
06-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Michael Bradley's fault 100% on the last goal. He let Portugal go tie the game. Worst play of the match.

ensco
06-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Bradley had a truly terrible second half. Besides the giveaway on the late goal and the missed sitter, he had multiple giveaways (one in particular on the attack around the 50th minute was especially bad).

I feel bad for the guy. It's an unforgiving tournament.

ag futbol
06-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Yeah he gave the ball away but the marking at the far post was also atrocious. Too bad all that hard work was undone by a few sloppy errors

ensco
06-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Bradley just getting killed over on bigsoccer. We should leave this alone we he gets back, he will be hearing about this for the rest of his life.

My theory about him going to NYCFC not looking so smart now!

Dub Narcotic
06-22-2014, 08:41 PM
He was great in the first half, but some bad mistakes at the end. Lots of fault to go around on that last goal, just not Bradley. Great game.

Hamilton_Red
06-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Beasly was awfull blocking Ronaldo... Gave him as much time as he wanted. No defence on the cross either. It's a team game.

OgtheDim
06-22-2014, 09:13 PM
His positioning was much better than the first game. As was his passing. He's not pirlo.

And no way that last goal was his fault. They had 5 defenders in for petes sake. Your am gets tackled in their end and nobody tracks the most advanced forward?

Gonzalez.

OgtheDim
06-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Big soccer putting Bradley down has little credibility. It's like all the people who instantly blamed Gerrard for Suarez's second goal.

That was the latest in some pretty atrocious CD play in this World Cup.

Couchy81
06-22-2014, 09:20 PM
His positioning was much better than the first game. As was his passing. He's not pirlo.

And no way that last goal was his fault. They had 5 defenders in for petes sake. Your am gets tackled in their end and nobody tracks the most advanced forward?

Gonzalez.

Except it was 94:55 and instead of even kicking it out of bounds he tried to do some weird ditzy doodle and got stripped so the entire team was caught off guard.

T-boy
06-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Except it was 94:55 and instead of even kicking it out of bounds he tried to do some weird ditzy doodle and got stripped so the entire team was caught off guard.

Looks like he was just trying to control the ball that was bouncing right between his legs - I didn't see him try anything too fancy. The defending after that was bad, but it was a fantastic cross. After Bradley lost the ball, Portugal had a lot of work to do to get a goal, and did well. You just get punished with players like Ronaldo getting the ball in the final seconds.

Dub Narcotic
06-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I agree. 99 out of 100 players don't hit that incredible cross. It's amazing watching that play, how many little things go wrong for the U.S. If Cameron checks over his left shoulder instead of his right he sees the run and probably cuts it off. For the U.S fans, I wouldn't even care that much if I got through: they've played very credibly in a brutal group. Today was the best game I've ever seen the U.S. play against top opposition, keeping possession and creating chances. I think Ghana and Germany will go through on the last day.

burlington Red
06-23-2014, 07:36 AM
2 games in a row where has has conceded possession in late stages of game, only this time it led to a goal. You have to expect better from your experienced players in that regard.

Phil
06-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Well, Bradley has seen a lot of change and a lot of new players in the last year. Hopefully this phase will be overcome soon. Once he is back in red, I am sure he will come around :D

ryan
06-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Bradley just really wants to get back to play for Toronto ASAP. Clearly. :scarf:

Canary10
06-23-2014, 08:50 AM
I don't think Bradley is an AM. That's the problem.

ManUtd4ever
06-23-2014, 09:08 AM
I thought Bradley was instrumental in the U.S. attack yesterday. He still wasn't up to par defensively, but the criticism has been overblown in my opinion. I thought Cameron was more responsible for the late Portugal equalizer.

ManUtd4ever
06-23-2014, 09:11 AM

Protecting a one goal lead at that stage of the match, the defenders should have been covering the defensive third of the pitch. It wasn't Bradley's fault.

Canary10
06-23-2014, 09:17 AM
I thought Bradley was instrumental in the U.S. attack yesterday. He still wasn't up to par defensively, but the criticism has been overblown in my opinion. I thought Cameron was more responsible for the late Portugal equalizer.

Gonzalez was fresh, yet failed to keep up with the one guy in the box. Cameron was tired at that point. I put the blame squarely on Omar!!

OgtheDim
06-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Weird how people in the US are looking for a scapegoat to what was one of the best ever played games by the USMNT. They got a point from Portugal, for Pete's sake.

Canary10
06-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Weird how people in the US are looking for a scapegoat to what was one of the best ever played games by the USMNT. They got a point from Portugal, for Pete's sake.

Luckily that kind of thing never happens on this board when TFC loses. Ha ha.

Yohan
06-23-2014, 09:27 AM
lots of blame to go around on that goal, and it is not just Bradley's fault.

but it is worrisome that Bradley keeps having brainfarts and poor performances a lot more after he joined TFC

Canary10
06-23-2014, 09:34 AM

but it is worrisome that Bradley keeps having brainfarts and poor performances a lot more after he joined TFC

Wonder how many Americans are thinking it's TFC's fault? Hell, I'm almost thinking it.

Detroit_TFC
06-23-2014, 09:43 AM
I don't think Bradley is an AM. That's the problem.

I'm starting to agree with this. Probably shouldn't have been put at the tip of the diamond/top of the midfield (depending on which game). But Jermaine Jones, who normally is a liability, is having a blinder of a tournament. Both are a result of the particular roles they are playing and could easily have been flip-flopped.

Bradley's stats weren't bad vs Portugal. But for that damn turnover at the end, no one would be complaining about him today.

jabbronies
06-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Wonder how many Americans are thinking it's TFC's fault? Hell, I'm almost thinking it.

He should've scored that sitter (would've been 3-1 and that last goal wouldn't have mattered)
He should've cleared the ball better on the winning goal (Get it far enough out and the game ends 2-1)

Those two factors alone point to him being the fall guy - We would've done the same if it were Gilberto =P

He had a shit game overall. Made some sloppy errors that ended up being chances on goal. No matter what he did well in that game, it is overshadowed by all the shit he created.

Canary10
06-23-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm starting to agree with this. Probably shouldn't have been put at the tip of the diamond/top of the midfield (depending on which game). But Jermaine Jones, who normally is a liability, is having a blinder of a tournament. Both are a result of the particular roles they are playing and could easily have been flip-flopped.

Bradley's stats weren't bad vs Portugal. But for that damn turnover at the end, no one would be complaining about him today.

He had that one great game there against Mexico, but it's not in his mentality. I think he's a true box to box guy. Hope Nelsen is learning something from it.

Red CB Toronto
06-23-2014, 10:01 AM
JK was taking a chance playing him at AM, his real strength is playing in the middle, giving direction and being the leader that he is. Early on during the pre-World Cup camp JK did toy with the diamond, but that really is not an option for the US, they would get burned playing that against the better teams.

Canary10
06-23-2014, 10:10 AM
JK was taking a chance playing him at AM, his real strength is playing in the middle, giving direction and being the leader that he is. Early on during the pre-World Cup camp JK did toy with the diamond, but that really is not an option for the US, they would get burned playing that against the better teams.

Thought they did play the diamond in the first match.

barticusz
06-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Everyone had brain farts in this game.. all game long.. Jones.. (a lot of them), Ronaldo, Nani, Bradley, Zusi etc..

The play Bradley gets blamed on is ridiculous.. he attempted to control the ball and was instantly surrounded by 3 Portuguese guys. On top of that Klinsmann was urging everyone to push up. All it is, is a spectacular pass and finish. Ronaldo.

What an incredible match. I've never been so behind an American team but I love supporting this group.

Jack
06-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Everyone had brain farts in this game.. all game long.. Jones.. (a lot of them), Ronaldo, Nani, Bradley, Zusi etc..

The play Bradley gets blamed on is ridiculous.. he attempted to control the ball and was instantly surrounded by 3 Portuguese guys. On top of that Klinsmann was urging everyone to push up. All it is, is a spectacular pass and finish. Ronaldo.

What an incredible match. I've never been so behind an American team but I love supporting this group.
This is right. He barely had control of that ball, if at all, before he was mobbed by 3 opponents. I'd put that goal down to two things: a brilliant cross by Ronaldo and some flatfootedness from the US defenders.

ManUtd4ever
06-23-2014, 10:33 AM

He was phenomenal with TFC and the USMNT prior to his foot surgery. He is currently in the process of regaining his form, that's all.

I'm sure that the vocal contingent of American supporters that scrutinized his move to TFC would love to make that connection.

Couchy81
06-23-2014, 11:47 AM
I have been following some American supporter threads throughout the tournament so far and haven't seen any one of them mention TFC affecting Bradley.

Have you guys?

Red CB Toronto
06-23-2014, 11:54 AM
michael is one the most beloved members of the USMNT by supporters. When I was in Jacksonville he was the man.

OgtheDim
06-23-2014, 12:10 PM
MLS board comments on the USMNT tie with Portugal were literally 50% "I think Bradley has been pathetic", with lots of thumbs down if you questioned the logic.

But, if you questioned Gonzalez or Zusi or Yedlin...............thumbs down galore.

i.e. The USMNT discussions are riven with tribal loyalties.

adam1001
06-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Not sure if this has been brought up, but Donovan mentioned something about unreported injuries on the USMNT. Hope it has nothing to do with Bradley, but who knows.

ManUtd4ever
06-23-2014, 01:44 PM
MLS board comments on the USMNT tie with Portugal were literally 50% "I think Bradley has been pathetic", with lots of thumbs down if you questioned the logic.

But, if you questioned Gonzalez or Zusi or Yedlin...............thumbs down galore.

i.e. The USMNT discussions are riven with tribal loyalties.

Exactly. If Bradley played for LA, Seattle, or SKC, I don't believe the backlash would be as severe.

Detroit_TFC
06-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Here's that Julio Cesar profile mentioned earlier in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htflBeb-Y0U&feature=youtu.be

Ben - D.O.W.
06-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Here's that Julio Cesar profile mentioned earlier in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htflBeb-Y0U&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for posting that. Really makes his move here seem a lot less cynical.

razor787
06-24-2014, 09:46 AM
When it happened, I didn't understand the move. I loved it, because we got a world class keeper, but I really didn't understand why. That video makes it clear. I hope we can see him back at Toronto, but I really don't think so.

Hopefully once he retires, he will at least come back as a goalkeeper coach, or have some role in the club. It seems as if he legitimately loves the club, and what we have done for him.

Oldtimer
06-24-2014, 10:47 AM
The US viewer stats for the game was incredible:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/06/usa-portugal-most-viewed-soccer-match-ever-in-u-s/

So between 18 and 22 million people saw Bradley choke. :(

Canary10
06-24-2014, 10:50 AM
The US viewer stats for the game was incredible:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/06/usa-portugal-most-viewed-soccer-match-ever-in-u-s/

So between 18 and 22 million people saw Bradley choke. :(

There was a joke on the Daily Show last night that involved losing the ball in the midfield.

speckles
06-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Just watched the lastest US game against Germany, a lot of heavy touches by Bradly...looks like his form is getting worse or just can't hack it at this level?

Oldtimer
06-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Just watched the lastest US game against Germany, a lot of heavy touches by Bradly...looks like his form is getting worse or just can't hack it at this level?

Bradley definitely looked poor. He'll have to step it up considerably.

OgtheDim
06-26-2014, 01:15 PM
IMHO, Jones had a worse game and worse touches. Zusi too.

Beckerman though looks great behind them all.

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2014, 01:16 PM

Bradley definitely looked poor. He'll have to step it up considerably.

Not how I saw. Genuinely thought his play was better than against Portugal but factor in the rain and I'd say he's on track.

Plus, c'mon, that last ball in that Dempsey would've headed more than not? Dead on...

ps- this pro American talk makes me feel uncomfortable.

Graeme
06-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Not how I saw. Genuinely thought his play was better than against Portugal but factor in the rain and I'd say he's on track.

Plus, c'mon, that last ball in that Dempsey would've headed more than not? Dead on...

I thoroughly agree with all three statements. Haha. I thought Bradley had a decent game.

leafsman
06-26-2014, 01:50 PM
Was hoping Ghana would win so that we can get Bradley back next week

ManUtd4ever
06-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Bradley was fine today.

dantdot
06-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Bradley was okay today, still getting unwarranted hate and is the scapegoat for the 'I watch soccer every 4 years crowd'. Probably because he's one of the only players they can name.

T-boy
06-26-2014, 02:13 PM
there was one peach of a pass from Bradley in the first half, one touch to put in (Dempsey?).

JuliquE
06-26-2014, 02:17 PM
there was one peach of a pass from Bradley in the first half, one touch to put in (Dempsey?).
It was Jones he almost put in, but, yeh -- he had a good game, I thought; the downpour made it difficult for many players, at times.

ryan
06-26-2014, 02:29 PM

makeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstop makeitstopmakeitstop

Abou Sky
06-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Tough Crowd!

Germany is arguably the best team in the world right now. The US is hitting way above their weight class. Seriously, look at the names on those jerseys, I think almost any player on the German team sells more jerseys than every US player combined.

They did well.

C.Ronaldo
06-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Not that I think Portugal deserve to go through

but if this was Germany vs USA as the first game of the group. It would have been a a very different score line.

Super
06-26-2014, 02:54 PM
The US beat Ghana, almost beat Portugal, and lost only 1-0 to the Germans. I think they deserve to find themselves in the final 16. As much as it may pain people on here to say it, it greatly benefits Canada, and MLS in general, that the US is doing so well right now. Let's be honest here: if the American public REALLY starts to follow "soccer", then our league is going to explode. That's going to be great for ALL of us footy lovers. So I'm rooting 100% for the Americans. They made the final 16. Wonderful success. Hopefully they can advance another round.

ryan
06-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Tough Crowd!

Germany is arguably the best team in the world right now. The US is hitting way above their weight class. Seriously, look at the names on those jerseys, I think almost any player on the German team sells more jerseys than every US player combined.

They did well.

You're one of the worst with all your pro FB propaganda. Cringe worthy.

As for the rest, maybe it's my bias, but I don't get the love affair for their play. Ghana and Portugal really didn't show well in the tournament, getting results isn't easy, but those 2 sides didn't pose a massive challenge. While losing to Germany 1-0 isn't a terrible result, they were fairly dominated. A bit more clinical and that's a 3 or more goal victory for the Germans.

The Americans are who I thought they were, a team who thinks it's top 10, but isn't.

ManUtd4ever
06-26-2014, 03:21 PM
The US beat Ghana, almost beat Portugal, and lost only 1-0 to the Germans. I think they deserve to find themselves in the final 16. As much as it may pain people on here to say it, it greatly benefits Canada, and MLS in general, that the US is doing so well right now. Let's be honest here: if the American public REALLY starts to follow "soccer", then our league is going to explode. That's going to be great for ALL of us footy lovers. So I'm rooting 100% for the Americans. They made the final 16. Wonderful success. Hopefully they can advance another round.

Agreed.

I have never understood the nonsensical hatred for the USMNT. The fact of the matter is, if it were not for the development of football at the grass roots level in the U.S. over the last two decades, MLS probably wouldn't exist, and we wouldn't have a professional club to support in Toronto.

If Canada ever manages to qualify for the World Cup, I would support the CMNT first and foremost, but in the interim, I am supporting the USMNT, as well as Michael Bradley.

OgtheDim
06-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Not that I think Portugal deserve to go through

but if this was Germany vs USA as the first game of the group. It would have been a a very different score line.

Tournament football.

Think of it this way:

Our last game of the season is on turf at NE. If we are in a guaranteed playoff position, I would hope we don't play Defoe or Bradley.

T-boy
06-26-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm with Abou Sky on this - I think its only a great thing for "soccer" in North America for the US to do well in this world cup. Ghana are still a worthwhile opponent in the World Cup, and so are Portugal, although they aren't the team they were a few years ago. Germany may have not had their foot on the peddle this game, but then again, neither did the US!

And now they are in the 16, anything can happen in the one-off games. Even if the US play Belgium, which on paper should be Belgium all the, you never know what might happen. It would be just strange to have teams like Costa Rica and the US in the quarters, but funnier things have happened!

lintberg
06-26-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm with Abou Sky on this - I think its only a great thing for "soccer" in North America for the US to do well in this world cup. Ghana are still a worthwhile opponent in the World Cup, and so are Portugal, although they aren't the team they were a few years ago. Germany may have not had their foot on the peddle this game, but then again, neither did the US!

And now they are in the 16, anything can happen in the one-off games. Even if the US play Belgium, which on paper should be Belgium all the, you never know what might happen. It would be just strange to have teams like Costa Rica and the US in the quarters, but funnier things have happened!

Ditto!!

OgtheDim
06-26-2014, 04:10 PM
US vs. Argentina in a QF would be interesting in a David vs. Goliath way but I think Belgium has what it takes to see the US off.

Abou Sky
06-26-2014, 04:30 PM
You're one of the worst with all your pro FB propaganda. Cringe worthy.

Lol love you too Ryan ;-)

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Those recognizable names are not all in their prime anymore. The US gave them too much respect and room that match. It saved them from further exposing themselves but they could've showed more. I think their execution showed their anxiety for a bigger mismatch to happen. They did the job and I think the Belgium game will be a more exciting match.

General Woolfe
06-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Bradley has deservedly got some criticism for his performance in the first two games, but I thought he was immense today. His forward passing was superb and his hassling of the Germans on the ball excellent

He should have got the monkey off his back today.

The US have nothing to fear in Belgium

General Woolfe
06-26-2014, 05:30 PM
p.s. why does this forum not have a dedicated WC thread????

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2014, 05:36 PM
p.s. why does this forum not have a dedicated WC thread????

Again, no one started one. What did you think of Bradley today?

SoccMan2
06-26-2014, 06:10 PM
For all of us here that love TFC be thankful that because of the US making every World Cup since 1990 and doing relatively well, remember they went out to Germany in the quarterfinals in 2002 in a very controversial game that they could have won if it were not to some very questionable calls. The MLS does not happen if the US does not make all these World Cups and so no TFC no nothing. Is the MLS perfect no not even close but it's a league that is legitimate enough that have people here in Toronto going to games in great numbers. Like I keep saying USA success is good for the game in Canada too , the more the game grows in the US the more it grows here and shuts up all those soccer haters, so go USA I'm really cheering for soccer in North America when I cheer for the USA.

adam1001
06-26-2014, 06:24 PM
For all of us here that love TFC be thankful that because of the US making every World Cup since 1990 and doing relatively well, remember they went out to Germany in the quarterfinals in 2002 in a very controversial game that they could have won if it were not to some very questionable calls. The MLS does not happen if the US does not make all these World Cups and so no TFC no nothing. Is the MLS perfect no not even close but it's a league that is legitimate enough that have people here in Toronto going to games in great numbers. Like I keep saying USA success is good for the game in Canada too , the more the game grows in the US the more it grows here and shuts up all those soccer haters, so go USA I'm really cheering for soccer in North America when I cheer for the USA.
Agreed. Great post.

tfcleeds
06-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Bradley has deservedly got some criticism for his performance in the first two games, but I thought he was immense today. His forward passing was superb and his hassling of the Germans on the ball excellent

He should have got the monkey off his back today.

The US have nothing to fear in Belgium

Belgium, despite getting maximum points in the group stage, really haven't looked all that impressive. Before the tournament started, they were one of the teams I was interested in seeing the most - they've been disappointing. I think the US can take them.

Yohan
06-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Belgium, despite getting maximum points in the group stage, really haven't looked all that impressive. Before the tournament started, they were one of the teams I was interested in seeing the most - they've been disappointing. I think the US can take them.
I agree. No Benteke is really hurting Belgium's ability to finish. Having said that, Courtois is having a great WC and Belgium defence has been solid for most part, though not invincible. Probably a 1-0 win for either US or Belgium

General Woolfe
06-26-2014, 07:31 PM

I thought he had a great game today. His best this tournament so far. Busy in defence and attack, and if that defence splitting pass he had ( I think it was to Jones) had come off, we'd be lauding him on the level of Pirlo

Hard working performance from the General that made up for gifting Prtugal the equalizer the other night

Hamilton_Red
06-27-2014, 12:42 AM

Belgium has been dull...but very tight defensively. It was a weak group though. I think the US has more character and drive and will get past them. Belgium are a good group of individuals.

Hamilton_Red
06-27-2014, 12:45 AM
TV viewing figures for the WC are eclipsing the Stanley Cup finals in the US. Soccer is moving ahead of hockey. It's time for Canada to diversify a bit beyond the ice. No one else is interested in the sport.

Ivy
06-27-2014, 02:24 AM
The World Cup is a giant bandwagon in NA though... In 3 weeks, not many will remember wtf happened.

ensco
06-27-2014, 06:16 AM
TV viewing figures for the WC are eclipsing the Stanley Cup finals in the US. Soccer is moving ahead of hockey.

This has been true forever. But it's apples and oranges. The World Cup is only every 4 years, a spectacle. I would like to know the ratings for all soccer games in the last 12 months in the US vs hockey.

btw eclipsing isn't the word, the the US-Portugal game drew almost 20M viewers, Stanley Cup finals gets around 5M. Baseball (World Series) gets 15M.

Richard
06-27-2014, 11:29 AM

So why does the first one started get locked? Needs to be moved? Yes. But why have it locked? Its not like we have a thread for each nation. Nation threads are for between each tournamnet and discuss specific match details, GD thread should be acceptable for WC.

BuSaPuNk
06-27-2014, 11:48 AM
So why does the first one started get locked? Needs to be moved? Yes. But why have it locked? Its not like we have a thread for each nation. Nation threads are for between each tournamnet and discuss specific match details, GD thread should be acceptable for WC.

There is a World Cup subforum. All discussion should be carried on there.

This is the Toronto FC forum. This thread should only be discussing Bradley and Cesar and there contributions. Not the overall chances or other countries ect.

hulkrogan
06-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Bradley had some great long balls in that game, that with a better first touch on the other end, would have ended up in the net. His cross in the dying minutes was great too. He had some heavy touches, but who didn't. Players and the ball were all sliding around out there. I think he's coming into form, and hopefully comes back just as strong as early season Bradley.

Alonso
06-27-2014, 05:31 PM

I started a thread last week right in here: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?36196-WC-2014-General-Discussion-Right-in-here!

Alonso
06-27-2014, 05:36 PM

Same here, well said.

I just want this sport to grow and gain significance in the USA and Canada.

JuliquE
06-27-2014, 09:13 PM
He's apparently covered the most ground of anyone else in the tournament, Bradley:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2014/news/article/2014/06/27/world-cup-usmnt-midfielder-michael-bradley-ranks-no-1-ground-covered-through

GBV
06-28-2014, 07:37 AM
For what it's worth: Wimbledon coverage just had a World Cup segment.

Players talking about the WC, soccer etc.

Nadal looked like he was going to cry when discussing Spain's early exist.

Then Brad Gilbert started talking the U.S. team and ripped Michael Bradley pretty hard. Said too many mistakes, shouldn't even be out there the way he's playing .....

ag futbol
06-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Let's hope Julio Cesar got enough practice in...

speckles
06-28-2014, 01:47 PM
got to feel for ceasar

dupont
06-28-2014, 02:03 PM
YES!!! Way to go Julio!

notthesun
06-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Two PK saves from Cesar, not bad at all.

Oldtimer
06-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Cesar came up big with the PKs.

Couchy81
06-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Great saves by Cesar, man is a PK beast

OgtheDim
06-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Brasil isn't playing all that well....except for Cesar.

speckles
06-28-2014, 02:20 PM
He is pure class...one commentator said amazing given he hasn't been playing proper football, just a few games in Toronto...

Couchy81
06-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Almost forgot, watching ABC the commentators mentioned TFC twice during the match, the last time after the PK's were over saying something like "Cesar, the Toronto FC man in the MLS"

Good stuff :)

RoyalRed
06-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Jesus, Nigel Reed on CBC is the worst. He just laid down this bit of insight:

"I'll tell you two things about this group of 16 - Costa Rica was not expecting to be playing Greece, and Greece certainly wasn't expecting to be playing Costa Rica. But here they are."

WOW.

ensco
06-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Has Cesar even come close to stopping a PK here? I made a joke about that in one of the game threads .....

That was one of the best games I have seen in a long time. Just an absolute classic.

TFC07
06-28-2014, 02:50 PM
TV viewing figures for the WC are eclipsing the Stanley Cup finals in the US. Soccer is moving ahead of hockey. It's time for Canada to diversify a bit beyond the ice. No one else is interested in the sport.

What are you talking about? Per capita, Canada is doing way better than USA in TV ratings department when comes to World Cup (especially you take out USA games).

World Cup TV ratings in Canada is averaging similar TV ratings to NHL playoffs by averaging about 1.4 million viewers per game. I except ratings are going to jump up now group stage is over.

EDIT: Soccer already more popular than hockey in USA. Hockey is more regional sport in USA similar how basketball is more regional sport in Canada. To compare hockey ratings in USA to their soccer ratings is like comparing World Cup TV ratings in Canada to Canadian Basketball TV ratings.

Detroit_TFC
06-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Has Cesar even come close to stopping a PK here? I made a joke about that in one of the game threads .....

That was one of the best games I have seen in a long time. Just an absolute classic.

A great game, loved it. We'll be spoiled if half the G16 games are that good. I've enjoyed a lot of games this WC, more than what I remember in 2010.

General Woolfe
06-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Huge game from Cesar today (although hes probably no longer a TFC player) although he was at least a yard off his line at the first kick

Webb's only error in an otherwise great game from the ref

habstfc
06-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Soccer is nowhere near as popular as hockey in the US. Nationalism is what's driving American world cup ratings , nothing else. Compare mls ratings to nhl ratings In US to get a clearer picture. It's still looked upon as a sport "foreigners" play for the most part. NHL ratings way higher than mls ratings. Name one city in America where the mls team is more popular than the nhl counterpart?

Oldtimer
06-29-2014, 05:43 AM
Soccer is nowhere near as popular as hockey in the US. Nationalism is what's driving American world cup ratings , nothing else. Compare mls ratings to nhl ratings In US to get a clearer picture. It's still looked upon as a sport "foreigners" play for the most part. NHL ratings way higher than mls ratings. Name one city in America where the mls team is more popular than the nhl counterpart?

The cities that have NHL teams tend to be in the areas where hockey is popular, with a few bad exceptions. Hockey is a regional sport in the US.

You are way out of date as far as soccer's popularity in the US. Among people under 30 or among the eventually to be majority hispanics, soccer is very popular, it's just not MLS soccer yet.

SoccMan2
06-29-2014, 09:24 AM
We need to stop using the MLS right now as an example of how popular soccer is in the US, not an accurate example. People are not stupid they know the level the MLS is, in terms of rankings of the best leagues in the world. The MLS might not be even a top ten league in the world, but don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with that, I still like and support this league, however, many Americans just don't follow it because it is not one of the best period, just like many in the US don't follow the American Hockey League because it's minor league, not the best. The EPL does pretty good TV numbers compared to the NHL in the US considering the time slot, it is on mainly in the mornings. Moreover, soccer participation numbers compared to hockey in the US, it is not even close with soccer numbers so much bigger. Furthermore, even though Olympic hockey the TV numbers are good it's just not the same kind of support you are seeing when the US soccer team plays at this World Cup. I don't remember seeing reports of packed bars or thousands of Americans watching in outdoor parks across the US like you are seeing for this World Cup for the US hockey team at the Olympics, that just never happened but it is happening for the US soccer team at the World Cup. I do think soccer is more popular than hockey in the US based on my above points, yes I know the NHL does pretty good in the US but they are other ways to measure the popularity of soccer versus hockey than just using the NHL as an example. Look hockey is a great sport Canada's game but I just don't think it tops soccer in the US it may be close in some ways to soccer in popularity in the US but definitely not more popular .

habstfc
06-29-2014, 02:41 PM
The cities that have NHL teams tend to be in the areas where hockey is popular, with a few bad exceptions. Hockey is a regional sport in the US.

You are way out of date as far as soccer's popularity in the US. Among people under 30 or among the eventually to be majority hispanics, soccer is very popular, it's just not MLS soccer yet.
I believe only Houston rsl and Portland, Seattle are the only cities with mls team but no nhl team. Every other mls city hockey support way higher. People will watch world cup because its a tournament of nations. I don't believe the masses under thirty soccer is more popular except among hipsters. People think that because kids play soccer that the sport is more popular than another. It just means it's fairly cheap tolay and it's an activity their kid can play in the summer to keep them active.

habstfc
06-29-2014, 03:05 PM
We need to stop using the MLS right now as an example of how popular soccer is in the US, not an accurate example. People are not stupid they know the level the MLS is, in terms of rankings of the best leagues in the world. The MLS might not be even a top ten league in the world, but don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with that, I still like and support this league, however, many Americans just don't follow it because it is not one of the best period, just like many in the US don't follow the American Hockey League because it's minor league, not the best. The EPL does pretty good TV numbers compared to the NHL in the US considering the time slot, it is on mainly in the mornings. Moreover, soccer participation numbers compared to hockey in the US, it is not even close with soccer numbers so much bigger. Furthermore, even though Olympic hockey the TV numbers are good it's just not the same kind of support you are seeing when the US soccer team plays at this World Cup. I don't remember seeing reports of packed bars or thousands of Americans watching in outdoor parks across the US like you are seeing for this World Cup for the US hockey team at the Olympics, that just never happened but it is happening for the US soccer team at the World Cup. I do think soccer is more popular than hockey in the US based on my above points, yes I know the NHL does pretty good in the US but they are other ways to measure the popularity of soccer versus hockey than just using the NHL as an example. Look hockey is a great sport Canada's game but I just don't think it tops soccer in the US it may be close in some ways to soccer in popularity in the US but definitely not more popular . like I said it's about nationalism. Games are played in afternoon in summer. People will watch because they want to be part of the party. Why aren't these games on regular tv in the states?

It's pretty hard for people to gather at 6 am at a bar or outdoors in February. If soccer is so popular than guess we'll see remaining mls games sold out.

Average nhl ticket price $60 mls $24. Guess the demand isn't so high.

Oldtimer
06-29-2014, 03:20 PM
habstfc, I understand where you are coming from. I believe that you are probably older like myself. I have friends who only watch hockey and are barely aware that Toronto has a soccer team, and have zero interest. However, you can't generalize from impressions formed in Canada (where hockey is king) to the U.S. My wife has a cousin in South Carolina, we asked her a few years ago and she wasn't even aware that her city had a NHL team.
Now let's look at hard facts in the US, rather than "beliefs" and impressions.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/story/1740529/mls-catches-mlb-in-popularity-with-kidssays-espn-poll

Here you are looking at the critical 12-17 demographic (tastes tend not to change after that age). MLS is twice as popular as the NHL. It's not even including foreign soccer leagues like the EPL or the Mexican league.

habstfc
06-29-2014, 04:20 PM
I go by butts in in the seats tv ratings etc. That's the real measuring stick. polls surveys don't mean much to me. MLS cup tv ratings are dreadful for the US top league. I'm not saying soccer doesn't have its fans in the US but I think interest is way overstated.

SoccMan2
06-29-2014, 07:47 PM
habstfc you basically ignored what I had to say you keep talking about the proof that hockey is more popular because the NHL gets better ratings, you are comparing the ratings for the best hockey league in the world to the MLS that is probably not even a top 10 league in the world, great comparison. You ignore everything else that is out there that shows soccer is more popular than hockey in the US, hey you can believe in whatever you want if it makes you happy go for it, it does not seem like even the facts will change your mind, also it seems like you can't accept the fact that soccer is more popular than hockey in the US strange. If there is any consolation don't worry soccer will never overtake hockey in Canada or even some of the other sports here in Canada and that is a pretty safe bet, so relax at least you won't have to worry about that happening, but it terms of soccer versus hockey in the US well you know.