PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Amway Canadian Championship

Canuck82
06-05-2014, 12:14 PM
I know for next season the Canadian representative for the CONCACAF championships will be based on the highest number of points amongst the MLS teams. However for the following season, when the window gets a little expanded to allow for more teams and a true Cup championship - I was wondering how it would all shake out.

I am assuming they would invite all Canadian based teams that would be considered Level 4 or above, which would include those in the PDL, PLSQ and Ontario League 1 - which if it was based on this season would be a total of 24 teams. If those numbers stay the same (wishful thinking), you could divide them into 3 groupings of 8, and play them down until you had the three group winners.

Then just take those three winners and bring them in at the quarter final stage, along with the two NASL teams and the three MLS teams. Although it would mean an extra round for the MLS teams, that could easily be reduced by making the cup single legged ties - except for perhaps the final, which I think should stay at 2 legs.

Since you would have a whole season to play out these games, I don't see as much fixture congestion and perhaps some real interest across the country....

Kaz
06-05-2014, 12:51 PM
I just don't see a Canadian Open Cup just yet. We are a ways away from it.

Shway
06-05-2014, 01:02 PM
^ Agree!.

I'll wait for at least 5 more professional teams first before we can talk about expanding this.

prizby
06-05-2014, 04:50 PM
think it'd be 2015 amway canadian championship