PDA

View Full Version : First Right of Refusal

canucker
07-22-2008, 02:27 PM
So how does this work? Do we have the first right of refusal for any new internationals attempting to come in the league as DP or as a regular roster player?

I know we have it for McBride, but do we hold it for anyone else?

The reason I ask is because I see in the news that FC Dallas is trying to land Ariel Ortega. Not saying we should get him (although he'd be a great target for MoJo), but if they're going for him I suppose we can't get first crack at him since we're entangled with McBride.

http://riverplate.theoffside.com/team-news/ortega-to-fc-dallas.html

arsenal
07-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Allocation order works for returning US nat'l team players so Ortega would be exempt. Regardless, DP trumps allocation and Ortega will definitely be a DP.

canucker
07-22-2008, 02:34 PM
So in the case of Huckerby, we had the first option to sign him because we had filed a discovery claim on him before anyone else?

In the case of Ortega, could another team swoop in there with more cash, better term, whatever and steal him away from Dallas, or do they have the first crack on signing him?

canucker
07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
man MLS has waaayyyy too many rules for player aquisition.

They certainly do. I really think that this league needs to have some genuine soccer people running it for it to succeed in the future. They have a great opportunity to really gain a foothold in the crowded North American sports market. But you can see how novice the league's execs are through things like the scheduling, officiating standards, etc.