PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Saturday, May.24

denime
05-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Reds Keep Rising To The Occasion (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/05/reds-keep-rising-occasion)

TFC Claw Back Twice To Earn Draw In Kansas (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/05/tfc-claw-back-twice-earn-draw-kansas)

Short-handed Toronto FC resilient in draw with Sporting Kansas City (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/tfc-rallies-in-stoppage-time-to-earn-draw-with-sporting-kc-1.2653007)

Bradley Orr's stoppage time goal gives TFC draw with Sporting Kansas City (http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2014/05/23/bradley_orrs_stoppage_time_goal_gives_tfc_draw_wit h_sporting_kansas_city.html)

TFC battles back to salvage point vs Kansas City (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/sporting-kc-ties-tfc-2-2-with-two-dwyer-goals/)

Wheeler: Five thoughts on TFC's come-from-behind draw at Sporting (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/714593567?-19896:6206)

TFC/MLS related blogs (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

Canada comes back to earn draw with Bulgaria (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-comes-back-to-earn-draw-with-bulgaria/)

Fort York Redcoat
05-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the Canada news, D!:canada:

Toronto bowled KC over too much last night and KC played into it. Long way to go but great comeback to salvage a point down a man!

razor787
05-24-2014, 02:04 PM
2 lucky goals by us. Should have been 2-0 KC. Didn't deserve a tie last night at all.

Dunkers
05-24-2014, 02:10 PM
2 lucky goals by us. Should have been 2-0 KC. Didn't deserve a tie last night at all.

??? TFC also didnt deserve a red cad on Caldwells tackle or a PK on Henry's "foul"...I dont think KC earned 3 points by any means. We finally take points in the 90th min instead of coughing them up, and this is the sentiment. "RPB Forum, wishing we were still supporting the worst team in the world"

Chevy
05-24-2014, 03:50 PM

Why is there a subset of supporters that never think we deserve anything?

Fort York Redcoat
05-24-2014, 03:56 PM

Completely disagree on the first goal. Both second goals weren't earned as we'd have liked. The draw was lucky because of the possession/run of play.

Fort York Redcoat
05-24-2014, 03:57 PM
"RPB Forum, wishing we were still supporting the worst team in the world"

Hilarious and undeniable but not even close too the majority here but you'll find all kinds.

PopePouri
05-24-2014, 05:55 PM
If this is the alternate to the shitty matchday thread, I'm proud of the effort last night. Happy with the point.

Cashcleaner
05-24-2014, 06:44 PM

I'll say it more diplomatically: Toronto was rather lucky to get the draw in the end.

I'm glad that we were able to claw back in extra time, but again, our opponent outplayed us in most respects. It's not all doom and gloom though, Bendik had a good game, all things considered. And I'm really happy for Orr's debut goal of the season: Dying seconds on the road to grab the draw, nice bit of of drama in that.

Yesterday was a mixed bag. Some negatives, but a few positives as well.

razor787
05-24-2014, 06:56 PM
??? TFC also didnt deserve a red cad on Caldwells tackle or a PK on Henry's "foul"...I dont think KC earned 3 points by any means. We finally take points in the 90th min instead of coughing them up, and this is the sentiment. "RPB Forum, wishing we were still supporting the worst team in the world"

I disagree. You can't go into a challenge with your studs like that. I know Toledo is quick to card people, but that would have been a red from pretty much every other referee in the league as well.

I give the club credit where it was deserved, but we lucked out last night. KC showed up to the match, TFC didn't.

Completely disagree on the first goal. Both second goals weren't earned as we'd have liked. The draw was lucky because of the possession/run of play.

The way I see our first goal is that KC was not paying enough attention. They were still thinking about the card, and being cocky about having an extra man. We were able to catch them unaware with a quick play. To me, the goal came more from KC's lack of focus, not from good play from TFC.

We played a great first 15 minutes, but after that I didn't see anything from TFC saying they wanted to win it. We spent most of the game trying not to concede, and that isn't going to win games.

Also, I heard them sing "oh when the ___ go marching in" Anyone know what they were singing? Only way I can think that chant would work for them, is "oh when the wizards go marching in" but I would imagine those chants would be dead by now.

Kaz
05-24-2014, 07:50 PM
The irony is the Red card got us the point. KC felt they had the game won and we tied it up... then they got the PK and thought they had the game won and we tied it up.

jloome
05-24-2014, 08:02 PM

Why is there a subset who can't separate reality from bias? We played like crap and didn't deserve a point; if you factor in the fact that Kansas City was missing nine players, it was even more fortunate.

That doesn't mean we'll be crap next week, or that we're always crap. But reality is reality. We had less than 45% of the ball and all of two chances.

A point on the road in MLS is always nice, but people shouldn't be criticized just for not drinking the Kool Aid.

MightyDM
05-24-2014, 08:43 PM
If this is the alternate to the shitty matchday thread, I'm proud of the effort last night. Happy with the point.

Thank god somebody said this. The game day thread is totally depressing - style, tactics, players blah blah blah it's all awful how dare we come back with ten men against the league champions? It's enough to make you gag.

Redcoe15
05-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Our side went down to ten men and managed to score a goal in extra time to take a point against the defending MLS Cup champions on their home turf. What TFC supporter has a problem with that?

Fort York Redcoat
05-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Why is there a subset who can't separate reality from bias? We played like crap and didn't deserve a point; if you factor in the fact that Kansas City was missing nine players, it was even more fortunate.

That doesn't mean we'll be crap next week, or that we're always crap. But reality is reality. We had less than 45% of the ball and all of two chances.

A point on the road in MLS is always nice, but people shouldn't be criticized just for not drinking the Kool Aid.

Bullshit. There is more on the supporter spectrum than Kool-Aid and Realistic. I blame NA's oversaturated sports landscape for the prevalence over other regions supporters to think it a higher level of fan to be an unbias expert analyst of any sport instead of letting favouritism seep in to following a game. As if the goal of every fan is to be a writer or commentator. The attitude is all over during playoffs of any kind over here and undermines, IMO, the reason why we follow and support in the first place.

Carts
05-26-2014, 09:14 AM
I have always hated the 'deserve' term used when discussing the final score...

I know I am in a huge minority with this, but the team that DESERVES to win, in my opinion, is the one who has more goals than their opponents. End of...

The professional game is results oriented. If the possession is 99%-1%, and we win 1-0, then a win is a win. That's an extreme example I know...

Did we play a well Friday night - not really. Did we control the match - no. Did we hold possession - no...

Did we find a way, by hook, crook, luck, hard work, whatever - to find the equalizer - YES!

That's what matters in professional sports when it comes to the RESULT...

Now, a day later, the staff, players, us supporters definitely need to asses the match, look at the problems, the areas to be worked on, to improve on, to be better at! But when it comes the result, 2-2 is what's in the book...

Did we "deserve" the tie - YES, because we scored just as many as our opponent...

Carts...

Cashcleaner
05-27-2014, 11:32 PM
I dunno... There are plenty of games that have been played by plenty of teams that won, lost, or drew as a result of one or two completely fluke plays that unfolded in a way completely counter to the team's overall performance or effort.

You're right, though in that the game is in the books as a draw. And I agree that grabbing a point off Kansas City on the road isn't anything to sneeze at. But the big concerns for me are the exact same points you highlighted above. We didn't play well. We didn't control the match. We didn't hold possession. We had all that and more going against us and still got the draw, so there's something to be said about that. But it's also important to consider the theoreticals. What if we were able to play more cohesively than KC? What if our passing was slightly superior? What if Gilberto was given more space and serviced just a bit better?

Again, I'm glad for the draw and figured even with their depleted roster KC was gonna be a tough opponent, but I can't believe we played the best game our team was capable of playing.

tfcleeds
05-28-2014, 06:13 AM
In the end, I'll take a draw at KC. But yet, it feels very much like an opportunity lost. We didn't play well. We were outplayed by for what was the most part, the KC reserves (folks like Dom Dwyer and Benny Feilhaber excluded). This was a match where we had an opportunity to show that we really can be a team on the rise, more than just what we've been hyped to be, by beating the defending champs in their backyard. And we didn't take it.

Having said all that, onwards. It's the Limpact tonight.