PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Tuesday, May.13

denime
05-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)Canadian Soccer In a Good Place

(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/05/canadian-soccer-good-place)TFC's Defoe makes England's standby squad

(http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/defoe-makes-englands-world-cup-standby-squad/)TFC's Bradley named to US preliminary squad

(http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/brooks-chandler-named-to-us-preliminary-squad/)TFC/MLS related blogs (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

ChrisFizik
05-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Standby D

I mean, Mornin'

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2014, 08:27 AM
In review

The Accies just had to move from the CSL to League 1 which has a very different team composition. This league has a stronger focus on private academies vs semipro teams. Overall I think it's positive but it leaves a gap in the system/structure we're filling with Wilmington and the USL. It's below these leagues that is more of a concern. With restructuring in the last 2 years of kids soccer more money will be into the game but I believe we'll see less kids actually playing competitively. What's most important is to as quickly as possible define an easy route for players in this country to grow and develop and hopefully provide consistency from province to province.

Big ask but glad to see commitment to change happening.

jabbronies
05-13-2014, 08:36 AM
In review

The Accies just had to move from the CSL to League 1 which has a very different team composition. This league has a stronger focus on private academies vs semipro teams. Overall I think it's positive but it leaves a gap in the system/structure we're filling with Wilmington and the USL. It's below these leagues that is more of a concern. With restructuring in the last 2 years of kids soccer more money will be into the game but I believe we'll see less kids actually playing competitively. What's most important is to as quickly as possible define an easy route for players in this country to grow and develop and hopefully provide consistency from province to province.

Big ask but glad to see commitment to change happening.

Soccer is going to go the route of Hockey - only rich kids will be given a chance to make it in the sport.

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Soccer is going to go the route of Hockey - only rich kids will be given a chance to make it in the sport.

It looks like it's heading that way but that leaves a lot more overhead not going to equipment. My pollyanna level hope is that it inspires better coaching and skills development.

Voodooman
05-13-2014, 11:01 AM
I have to agree. I have seen in in the past few years, the only kids who get on the academy teams are the ones who can afford it. Trust me the prices are insane.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-13-2014, 11:54 AM
id be shocked if teams turned down players that were seriously talented if they couldnt pay the wages, pretty sure there will be some acceptions etc. Youd think scouts for these teams would sign em as well as the teams themselves would benefit from finding and selling these players etc

Haddy
05-13-2014, 12:53 PM

That landscape is changing down south.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/25bsjt/us_soccer_is_mandating_the_elimination_of_the/

Jamaicanadian
05-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Just spent the last few summers travelling down south with my daughters squad.

Based on where the tourneys are located and the make up of the players, my conclusion is that in the USA football is a sport played by the children of the wealthy and elite.
The fees paid by the US participants are astronomical and it seems that Canada is trying to keep up.

I dont think its a coincedence that we've played tourneys on polo grounds in Chicago and San Diego lol

......good to read that the landscape may be a bit more inclusive down there....

MartinUtd
05-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Just spent the last few summers travelling down south with my daughters squad.

Based on where the tourneys are located and the make up of the players, my conclusion is that in the USA football is a sport played by the children of the wealthy and elite.
The fees paid by the US participants are astronomical and it seems that Canada is trying to keep up.

I dont think its a coincedence that we've played tourneys on polo grounds in Chicago and San Diego lol

......good to read that the landscape may be a bit more inclusive down there....

Klinsman said the exact opposite. IIRC he said in an interview that soccer, like basketball gets many of its athletes from the inner city where there are lower socioeconomic conditions but that these pay to play academies are stunting the growth of their national team.

On second thought, he could have been talking about lost opportunity given your experiences. Yeah, that's probably it.

jabbronies
05-13-2014, 02:43 PM
id be shocked if teams turned down players that were seriously talented if they couldnt pay the wages, pretty sure there will be some acceptions etc. Youd think scouts for these teams would sign em as well as the teams themselves would benefit from finding and selling these players etc

Kids who can't afford it don't get seen. They can't play on house league/all star/Rep soccer because of the cost - However they are the kids that are playing footy every single day when the weather permits.

Anyone who believes that a 1-2 day tryout period in the spring can determine the strengths and weaknesses of these kids and if they have potential to be elite players is kidding themselves.

When these kids go up against those who have been training all winter and in proper football conditions (taught about roles of the player in different formations, tactics, etc) They don't stand a chance purely on the fact that they are very raw and can be seen as reckless/selfish.

JonO
05-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Kids who can't afford it don't get seen. They can't play on house league/all star/Rep soccer because of the cost - However they are the kids that are playing footy every single day when the weather permits.

Anyone who believes that a 1-2 day tryout period in the spring can determine the strengths and weaknesses of these kids and if they have potential to be elite players is kidding themselves.

When these kids go up against those who have been training all winter and in proper football conditions (taught about roles of the player in different formations, tactics, etc) They don't stand a chance purely on the fact that they are very raw and can be seen as reckless/selfish.
I disagree that cost for house league is prohibitive. Sure, there is a cost involved, but for the most part it is not outrageously expensive. I realize it is limited, but kids can have to opportunity to shine without the big costs. I agree, though, that the jump to rep soccer hikes up the price. I believe that some clubs do have subsidized spots on their rosters, but I am not sure about the details...

inheavensince07
05-13-2014, 04:13 PM

They say the creme always rises to the top ..

Phil
05-13-2014, 04:27 PM
I will be doing Red Card tonight at 7:15 with Anthony Totera.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-13-2014, 04:29 PM
They say the creme always rises to the top ..

yeah im sure the system is flawed adn may need changes but i look at players like Klose or that kid who plays at Sassuolo and both of them started in 3rd semi pro divisions etc etc
Ya gotta think that people are looking outside the regular spots for players

jabbronies
05-14-2014, 08:40 AM
yeah im sure the system is flawed adn may need changes but i look at players like Klose or that kid who plays at Sassuolo and both of them started in 3rd semi pro divisions etc etc
Ya gotta think that people are looking outside the regular spots for players

Those are european countries where they have scouts everywhere looking at everyone and they have huge subsidy programs to get players what they need.

Go through the list of prominent Canadians and trace their football backgrounds. They had to pay a lot of cash to get where they are.

Jamaicanadian
05-14-2014, 09:23 AM
http://www.oregonyouthsoccer.org/assets/coaches/Comparing_the_US_Soccer_Environment_to_the_World.p df

A very good compare and contrast between U.S. (Canada as well) and the rest of world's approach to development.