PDA

View Full Version : Defoe not going to Brasil

Davenport
05-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Good decision by Hodgson and good news for TFC

Oblio2
05-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Standby list though. Could still happen but good news for us.

Phil
05-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Poor guy, I know he really wanted to go, but having him remain with the TFC is a big plus.

Davenport
05-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Yes, you have to feel for him, but I think his move here was a result of half-expecting not to make the squad.

Canary10
05-12-2014, 08:32 AM
He hasn't played a lot, he's been injured and he's not in the greatest form at the moment. Good call from Roy. Looks like a bit of a change with England where, for the most part, players earned their space rather than getting by on name alone. ie. Ashley Cole. Sad for him, but good news for TFC.

Donald Duck
05-12-2014, 08:33 AM
TFC needs Defoe!!!:scarf:

Villa TFC
05-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Headline should read "Defoe probably not going to Brasil." As he's on the standby list, he's a heartbeat from Brasil (to paraphrase the position of a Vice President). There's certainly a chance of one or more of the 23 being injured before the competition starts and one of the standby players coming in, the question then if it was a forward who became injured, would be whether it was Defoe or Carroll.

Detroit_TFC
05-12-2014, 08:37 AM
JD was on the bubble regardless of coming to TFC, and missing 3 weeks of performance to prove his value sealed it. He shouldn't mope about it.

BuSaPuNk
05-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Gutted for Defoe as he wanted to go so bad. But it works out in our favor so it's a sad win win. Would be nice to have multiple players going to the WC for exposure but with our lack of depth up too this might be blessing in disguise.

Canary10
05-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Now I guess we wait until this afternoon and see if Bradley makes Klinsmann's squad. Ha ha.

MartinUtd
05-12-2014, 08:45 AM
How is Andy Carroll still a stand by? He's done absolutely nothing.

Ah well, this thread is about Defoe. We'll make it up to him by taking him to the Club World Cup.

jabbronies
05-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Now I guess we wait until this afternoon and see if Bradley makes Klinsmann's squad. Ha ha.

Bradley doesn't deserve to make the WC squad. He isn't a driving force for any team he's been on. The guy half asses it out there....he should just stay with TFC and work on his game. Maybe he'll get on the squad next time around (hopes klinsmann believes this)

reggie
05-12-2014, 08:49 AM
I wonder if Argentina will call up LABA.

MartinUtd
05-12-2014, 08:57 AM
And if Brazil will call up Jackson

Suds
05-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Have to feel for the guy. Athletes work their entire lives to play on the biggest stage and to be just on the outside looking in at at this opportunity must suck.

On a purely selfish note, I'm happy he is likely to miss it. TFC lack depth and we are two completely different teams when we are missing just one or two key guys. It will be tough enough without Bradley.

jabbronies
05-12-2014, 09:00 AM

If they need a towel guy or backup water boy, for sure

BuSaPuNk
05-12-2014, 09:03 AM
I wonder if Argentina will call up LABA.

These are either the best joke post or something out of Unexplained Mysteries.

brad
05-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Headline should read "Defoe probably not going to Brasil." As he's on the standby list, he's a heartbeat from Brasil (to paraphrase the position of a Vice President). There's certainly a chance of one or more of the 23 being injured before the competition starts and one of the standby players coming in, the question then if it was a forward who became injured, would be whether it was Defoe or Carroll.

Probably depends on who it is. I'd guess if it is Lambert you replace him with Carroll. Anyone else is Defoe.

brad
05-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Shouldn't the headline read "Defoe not going to Brazil until Rooney picks up a major injury right before a tournament like always" :)

OgtheDim
05-12-2014, 09:06 AM

Jackson would be on the back up squad for the backup squad for the backup towel guy to the Brazilian H team.

On Canada he'd be a star.

On England, he'd be playing for West Ham.

dupont
05-12-2014, 10:02 AM
I bet the reporters are going to keep asking him questions about this to really make him feel bad too

Pint
05-12-2014, 10:06 AM
I bet the reporters are going to keep asking him questions about this to really make him feel bad too

It's the only question he has been asked since he got here so i wouldn't expect them to stop asking it now.

Godfrey might toss in a question about the Champions League Final to mix it up.

jazzy
05-12-2014, 11:11 AM
All too true , curious if he converts his disappointment with anger to get into second gear and carry us OR simply sulks . It crosses my mind as possible .

mcolvy
05-12-2014, 11:23 AM
All too true , curious if he converts his disappointment with anger to get into second gear and carry us OR simply sulks . It crosses my mind as possible .

Im afraid this may lull him into a season of just going through the motions.

BuSaPuNk
05-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Im afraid this may lull him into a season of just going through the motions.

Defoe has too much pride to just sulk and go through the motions just because we wasn't picked for the main squad for Brazil.

I expect him to take it out on MLS defenses now. He's going to want to prove Hodgson wrong.

Globetrotter
05-12-2014, 11:54 AM

...or a red card.

Voodooman
05-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Jackson would be on the back up squad for the backup squad for the backup towel guy to the Brazilian H team.

On Canada he'd be a star.

On England, he'd be playing for West Ham.

I laughed for a while at this one.

Here is hoping the Toronto media is nice on him

OgtheDim
05-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Everything we have seen and heard of and from the man indicates he will double down on playing and scoring goals, starting with VCWC.

Defoe's also going to want to best Henry next Saturday. He loves to train and play and score goals.

Kingvikingstad
05-12-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Jackson is anti-Brazilian - no first touch, poor dribbling, lack of vision, low football iq, high workrate

Sounds more Canadian to me :)

brad
05-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Everything we have seen and heard of and from the man indicates he will double down on playing and scoring goals, starting with VCWC.

Defoe's also going to want to best Henry next Saturday. He loves to train and play and score goals.

Yeah - I don't think he is the type to sulk.

Canary10
05-12-2014, 12:21 PM
I have a feeling JD will add 3-4 goals to his TFC tally by the end of this weekend.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2014, 12:49 PM
It would have been huge for TFC for him to go, always great to have members of the Reds playing on the big stage. A lot of teams will be missing players, I think it is selfish to say u did not want him going. It would have been good for him.

Red CB Toronto
05-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Also he is on the provisional roster, it find it interesting that some countries are announcing a 30 man roster with cuts to be made by June 2 and others have standby lists, really can not determine if there is much of a difference.

Defoe
05-12-2014, 01:07 PM
It would have been huge for TFC for him to go, always great to have members of the Reds playing on the big stage. A lot of teams will be missing players, I think it is selfish to say u did not want him going. It would have been good for him.

I agree with this. This isn't a good thing... having players represent TFC and give your team exposure is a good thing. Some will even say "well he's just an MLS player now anyways" which is far from the truth and not good. It's best for the league if he goes. Still hope he finds a way to make it in.

BeachTory
05-12-2014, 01:11 PM
So JD goes to their camp? How long will he be gone (ie TFC games missed) assuming he does not play in WC? Anyone have a definitive number?

MartinUtd
05-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Man, are we really upset about the loss of marketing potential? Kinda sad.

Fort York Redcoat
05-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Man, are we really upset about the loss of marketing potential? Kinda sad.

Wow. You read it that way? I read it as club and community pride but if that's where your mind goes first I don't blame you in this day and age.

MartinUtd
05-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Well yes, I did read it that way. We got the international media attention when we signed Bradley, Defoe & Cesar. We need results, not accolades. This "I wish we got noticed" attitude is a bit pathetic.

It would have been nice to see a TFC player on the bench at the world cup, but I'd rather see our $6m striker at BMO bagging goals for the next 6-8 weeks.

brad
05-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Wow. You read it that way? I read it as club and community pride but if that's where your mind goes first I don't blame you in this day and age.

I'd also read it as a statement to future targets that moving here doesn't impact your ability to get called up to a big nation for the biggest tournament in the world.

ManUtd4ever
05-12-2014, 01:54 PM
It would have been nice to see a TFC player on the bench at the world cup, but I'd rather see our $6m striker at BMO bagging goals for the next 6-8 weeks.

Agreed.

T-boy
05-12-2014, 01:57 PM
I can only see Carroll going if Lambert gets injured. Defoe would replace any of Rooney, Sturridge, and Welbeck. Knowing those 3's injury history, there is still a fairly high chance Defoe might go.

PopePouri
05-12-2014, 02:00 PM
I've always subscribed to country over club so I'm gutted for him that he's not going

jabbronies
05-12-2014, 02:11 PM
The choice was between Welbeck or Defoe.

Both bench guys.
As much as I don't like him, Welbeck gets the call for me because he's played more games, more minutes and more goals scored this season. He's also younger and hasn't just recently been injured...again.

mowe
05-12-2014, 02:16 PM
England fly to Portugal for their training camp on May 19th. Then June 1st they go to Miami, play a couple friendlies, and fly to Brazil June 8th.

Assuming Defoe is gone for the entirety of the camp he will miss 3 league games and both legs of the Voyageurs Cup final if we advance.

Sucks for TFC that he'll be gone even though he's not going to Brazil. I wonder if they'll be able to call him back early for our game vs SJ on June 7th.

brad
05-12-2014, 02:18 PM
The choice was between Welbeck or Defoe.

Both bench guys.
As much as I don't like him, Welbeck gets the call for me because he's played more games, more minutes and more goals scored this season. He's also younger and hasn't just recently been injured...again.

He also links up well with Rooney and offers them something different up front - he is a very good defensive forward. He was, for example one of the main reasons United were shutting down Real Madrid last year at Old Trafford until Nani got sent off.

OgtheDim
05-12-2014, 02:27 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01yz08t#threeG (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01yz08t#threeG)

Defoe discusses with BBC radio.

MartinUtd
05-12-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't think we'll need Defoe against FC Edmonton ;)

T-boy
05-12-2014, 02:40 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01yz08t#threeG

Man, that's tough, I feel bad for him, he clearly really wanted to go. I think if he keeps himself fit and scoring over the next month there is still a chance he will get a call up to replace somebody else.

PopePouri
05-12-2014, 02:57 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01yz08t#threeG

Also, fuck that eurosnob interviewer.

MartinUtd
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM

Yeah that was hard to listen to. I get the reservations about the drop in quality, but to imply a player (any player) is in a better position to serve their national team by sitting on the bench and NEVER PLAYING at a bigger club is absurd.

Canary10
05-12-2014, 03:11 PM

Holy shit yeah. That was brutal.

By the sound of his voice, he's going to go out and kill it the next few games.

69Chevy396
05-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Yeah that was hard to listen to. I get the reservations about the drop in quality, but to imply a player (any player) is in a better position to serve their national team by sitting on the bench and NEVER PLAYING at a bigger club is absurd.
Reimer and a dozen NHL players lost to France. Our media handled this in much the same fashion. It is not about Euro anything. The best players play in the best leagues. I would have liked to have watched Defoe play in Brazil. I could care less about the English NT, and Defoe, along with his countrymen would probably be heading home after the first round anyway.

Yohan
05-12-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm worried that any decent player from Europe or elsewhere looking at MLS at not an old geezer age is going to have second thoughts about signing for MLS. I can understand Hodgson's reasoning, because essentially Defoe signed for a league that is at best Championship level. English media would crucify him if he picked Defoe over other EPL strikers. If Defoe played in La Liga or Serie A or any other top tier Euro league it might have been a different story, but then again, England managers rarely pick players not playing in EPL.

Richard
05-12-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm worried that any decent player from Europe or elsewhere looking at MLS at not an old geezer age is going to have second thoughts about signing for MLS. I can understand Hodgson's reasoning, because essentially Defoe signed for a league that is at best Championship level. English media would crucify him if he picked Defoe over other EPL strikers. If Defoe played in La Liga or Serie A or any other top tier Euro league it might have been a different story, but then again, England managers rarely pick players not playing in EPL.

Well to be fair, how many worthwhile English players aren't in the EPL? Besides Defoe. There are not that many English players playing outside of the UK. MLS as a whole still has a very long way to go and imo getting European players shouldn't really be the priority for MLS clubs. Aside from the EU stars, MLS clubs need to get young talented players from other areas to boost the overall talent of the league.

LFC8
05-12-2014, 05:58 PM
^This was mostly about England deciding to go with youth though. I mean they dropped the best left back in the world for a 19 year old who has great potential.

mowe
05-12-2014, 06:05 PM
^This was mostly about England deciding to go with youth though. I mean they dropped the best left back in the world for a 19 year old who has great potential.

Yeah this doesn't have much to do with Defoe playing in MLS for the last two months. The manager just wanted to go in a different direction.

Yohan
05-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Yeah this doesn't have much to do with Defoe playing in MLS for the last two months. The manager just wanted to go in a different direction.
PR is all about perception...

OgtheDim
05-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Looking at the team, Defoe's not going because he's not as good as Sturridge and Welbeck, in the eyes of the manager (Lambert is the hold up man and Rooney is an icon).

Sturridge he's not near - Welbeck I'm not so sure. It came down to Welbeck who is not a 1st choice on his team but younger vs. Defoe, who was not wanted by Spurs, but was playing now and older.

I feel bad for Defoe because Sven messed him over in 2006 when he was at his best.

brad
05-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Looking at the team, Defoe's not going because he's not as good as Sturridge and Welbeck, in the eyes of the manager (Lambert is the hold up man and Rooney is an icon).

Sturridge he's not near - Welbeck I'm not so sure. It came down to Welbeck who is not a 1st choice on his team but younger vs. Defoe, who was not wanted by Spurs, but was playing now and older.

I feel bad for Defoe because Sven messed him over in 2006 when he was at his best.

Welbeck links well with Rooney which is probably part of it. Also he give a bit of a different option in that he offers a strong defensive presence up front. He was highly effective in the Champions League at dropping deeper and shutting down the oppositions deep lying midfider on transition.

Agree about 2006 and Sven. Defoe got screwed - Sven was an idiot though

brad
05-12-2014, 07:01 PM
^^it wouldn't suprise me one bit if Welbeck's inclusion was specifically to try and neutralize Pirlo.

69Chevy396
05-12-2014, 07:57 PM
^^it wouldn't suprise me one bit if Welbeck's inclusion was specifically to try and neutralize Pirlo.
England and Italy are both non contenders this time, but if healthy, Pirlo has no equal in the English side. Sorry.

brad
05-12-2014, 08:31 PM
England and Italy are both non contenders this time, but if healthy, Pirlo has no equal in the English side. Sorry.

It's not about being his equal - it's about parking Welbeck on top of him to try and disrupt his game. That is what he did to Xabi Alonso at Old Trafford and was a major factor why United controlled the game until Nani was sent off.

He has been used effectively in the same role in several Champions League games.

burlington Red
05-13-2014, 08:18 AM

I think that's why England went for more younger players than what was expected in their squad.The conditions in Brazil esp for 1st game between Italy and England will be tough. Pirlo's 35 now, great player that he is. After a tough long season, going to Brazil in those conditions won't be easy.He looked very jaded against Benfica in Europa league esp in the 2-1 win game for Benfica.

trane
05-13-2014, 10:26 AM

I love hearing this. It usually means we win.

Do not confuse the health of the Serie A, with the quality of the Azzurri, Balo may be crazy but he is a top sriker, our mids are world class, our back line is world class, Buffon is old but a leader. We are the same squad, that was Euro finalist in 2012, even then we were not contenders.

TorontoGooner
05-13-2014, 10:59 AM
As an Englishman I'm not to upset with this news. And as a TFC fan I'm pretty happy

cmonyoureds
05-13-2014, 11:16 AM
How is Andy Carroll still a stand by? He's done absolutely nothing.

Ah well, this thread is about Defoe. We'll make it up to him by taking him to the Club World Cup.

This is a team that once took Peter Crouch into some pretty big games.........g:D

brad
05-13-2014, 12:09 PM
This is a team that once took Peter Crouch into some pretty big games.........g:D

And ostracized Paul Scholes when he was one of the best midfielders in the world...

LFC8
05-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Scholes retired from England when he was like 28 or something

brad
05-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Scholes retired from England when he was like 28 or something

He was a few months shy of 30. He retired after getting sick of being played out of position to accommodate an ineffectual Lampard- Gerrard pairing.

OgtheDim
05-13-2014, 05:54 PM
He was a few months shy of 30. He retired after getting sick of being played out of position to accommodate an ineffectual Lampard- Gerrard pairing.

Its things like that which make me wonder why people think a Bradley + Brek Shea pairing is somehow a good idea.

Don't put two ball sprayers on the park at the same time.

LFC8
05-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Brek Shea's a winger though so i don't see the comparison.

molenshtain
05-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Shea is a homeless mans' Bale. very different type of player to Bradley.

ag futbol
05-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Yeah I've never seen Shea play in the middle like that. Always out wide as a pure winger, FW, or a withdrawn forward.

jazzy
05-13-2014, 08:04 PM
England fly to Portugal for their training camp on May 19th. Then June 1st they go to Miami, play a couple friendlies, and fly to Brazil June 8th.

Assuming Defoe is gone for the entirety of the camp he will miss 3 league games and both legs of the Voyageurs Cup final if we advance.

Sucks for TFC that he'll be gone even though he's not going to Brazil. I wonder if they'll be able to call him back early for our game vs SJ on June 7th.

it's been said in the guardian that standby's are not attending any preliminary camps ...if this holds he won't be invited anywhere.....we'll see

jazzy
05-13-2014, 08:27 PM

this is what is happening, and it is a fookin miracle ! England always goes with the old fogeys and loses . Hodgson is amazing to actually finally think long term and give the up and coming a chance . Shame Lampard is going , but some experience is needed , but he always chokes in world cups as well . I am actually excited and believe Italy and Uruguay are double thinking their strategy's now, because one thing is true, younger passionate players are unpredictable . If they can be guided to throw away all fears the games won't be easy . Man up Defoe , Cole , you weren't good enough , done , it's not about you , it's about England and progressing the country trying to find some form of success . ? ( Which hasn't happened for how long ?) One has to earn his spot on the team . Thats how you win . Fook the pampering , lets get some results , on TFC ! If that can't be done then no one from this team should be in the world cup . Or those going simply should be ripping through this league if we are so down in the pecking order.

(best LB in the world?).....yikes

LFC8
05-13-2014, 09:26 PM
this is what is happening, and it is a fookin miracle ! England always goes with the old fogeys and loses . Hodgson is amazing to actually finally think long term and give the up and coming a chance . Shame Lampard is going , but some experience is needed , but he always chokes in world cups as well . I am actually excited and believe Italy and Uruguay are double thinking their strategy's now, because one thing is true, younger passionate players are unpredictable . If they can be guided to throw away all fears the games won't be easy . Man up Defoe , Cole , you weren't good enough , done , it's not about you , it's about England and progressing the country trying to find some form of success . ? ( Which hasn't happened for how long ?) One has to earn his spot on the team . Thats how you win . Fook the pampering , lets get some results , on TFC ! If that can't be done then no one from this team should be in the world cup . Or those going simply should be ripping through this league if we are so down in the pecking order.

(best LB in the world?).....yikes

Haha totally agree with you but i still would've taken Cole. If you can name a better left back in the world than i'll give you anyone. He's 34 now and his best years are behind him but he's hardly lost a step if you ask me.

LFC8
05-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Btw Defoe won't be attending the training camp for England for everyone that was wondering.

defensor
05-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Haha totally agree with you but i still would've taken Cole. If you can name a better left back in the world than i'll give you anyone. He's 34 now and his best years are behind him but he's hardly lost a step if you ask me.
David Alaba.

LFC8
05-13-2014, 09:59 PM
^Lol i keep telling everyone Alaba is the new Ashley Cole yet i totally forgot about him when i typed that.

Canary10
05-14-2014, 08:37 AM

Azpilicueta? The guy that actually plays left back for Chelsea while Cole rides the pine?

LFC8
05-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Azpilicueta? The guy that actually plays left back for Chelsea while Cole rides the pine?

And how did Chelsea do this year? We're talking about the same coach that benched Casillas when he was at Madrid. He would probably bench Bradley if he was the coach of TFC just for the attention. Mourinho's a media whore.

brad
05-14-2014, 09:42 AM
And how did Chelsea do this year? We're talking about the same coach that benched Casillas when he was at Madrid. He would probably bench Bradley if he was the coach of TFC just for the attention. Mourinho's a media whore.

3rd place, 4 points off first (although they would have needed 5 to win due to goal differential) and the best defensive record in the league.

And they did that despite the fact that none of their forwards broke double digits for goals and had a combined 27 league goals between the 4 of them. This is the reason they finished where they did. Had the brought in a 20+ goal per season striker in the summer like they tried to they would have ran away with the league this year.

Pointing to benching Cole as being the cause for this is wrong.

burlington Red
05-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Ashley Cole- best left in the world, yeah maybe 8 yrs ago, and even then that would be highly disputable.
England need to look to next Euros- they have pretty much no chance at this wc. At that stage players like Shaw, Barkley and Sterling will be 2 more years developed, and those 3 have the ability to be world class. Taking them to wc gives them experience that will benefit then on the international stage.
Cole can still do a job at this level of course he can, but I think Woy got it right with his selections at left back

T-boy
05-14-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm glad Hodgson has turned to the young players for this WC. I think the only reason Lampard is going is that somebody other than Gerrard needs to be experienced, and somebody needs to replace Gerrard if he's not playing. Otherwise I expect players like Wiltshire to be ahead of Lampard in the pecking order.

If England get out of the group stage I will be extremely (and pleasantly) surprised. I can see why Defoe is upset at not being picked, but realistically I don't think he's going to be missing out much this tournament!

ensco
05-14-2014, 02:16 PM
SiriusXM radio picks up a major UK show called TalkSports during the day (it's London's main drivetime footy radio show, on from 4-9pm local time). Obviously today they are mostly still discussing England MNT selection. They spent a fair bit of time on Defoe and this story:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/475809/World-Cup-snub-LOWEST-moment-for-ex-Spurs-star-Jermain-Defoe

The hosts and callers were pretty dismissive of Defoe, saying that he had never been an automatic England selection, and he was naive to expect any different.

OgtheDim
05-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Dismissive is the default stance of English football commentators these days for anything not fitting their narrative.

Just as the Express went for the default stance of sensational in how they parsed that article, which was basically written off the BBC Radio interview (although the Express seems to have paraphrased things to torque it more).

Wait a week....they will be Pavlov dog salivating over the next story. "Gareth Bale is the best British player EVAH!" most likely, given the Champions League final is soon.

brad
05-14-2014, 03:38 PM
SiriusXM radio picks up a major UK show called TalkSports during the day (it's London's main drivetime footy radio show, on from 4-9pm local time). Obviously today they are mostly still discussing England MNT selection. They spent a fair bit of time on Defoe and this story:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/475809/World-Cup-snub-LOWEST-moment-for-ex-Spurs-star-Jermain-Defoe

The hosts and callers were pretty dismissive of Defoe, saying that he had never been an automatic England selection, and he was naive to expect any different.

I certainly wasn't surprised when he didn't get called up. He has never been convincing at the national level.

Even if he had stayed at Spurs and been playing regularly, it would not have surprised me to see him passed over.

shwade
05-14-2014, 03:42 PM
I certainly wasn't surprised when he didn't get called up. He has never been convincing at the national level.

Even if he had stayed at Spurs and been playing regularly, it would not have surprised me to see him passed over.

This is just gonna make players over there think that MLS is where their national careers come to die. And it isn't going to help with bringing in younger DPs.

defensor
05-14-2014, 03:48 PM
he had never been an automatic England selection, and he was naive to expect any different.

Is that really dismissive? They're just saying the truth. I mean he had a small chance, but to expect that he was an automatic selection? If he did he was way off.

Fort York Redcoat
05-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Dismissive is the default stance of English football commentators these days for anything not fitting their narrative.

These days? They always have been ones to assume they've known the worst all along.g:D

LFC8
05-14-2014, 04:17 PM
3rd place, 4 points off first (although they would have needed 5 to win due to goal differential) and the best defensive record in the league.

And they did that despite the fact that none of their forwards broke double digits for goals and had a combined 27 league goals between the 4 of them. This is the reason they finished where they did. Had the brought in a 20+ goal per season striker in the summer like they tried to they would have ran away with the league this year.

Pointing to benching Cole as being the cause for this is wrong.

If Chelsea doesn't win silverware with that roster than the coach is to blame.

MartinUtd
05-14-2014, 04:31 PM
If Jay Rodriguez didn't blow out his knee, Defoe wouldn't have made the list at all.

LFC8
05-14-2014, 05:15 PM
^Yeah, what a year he had. Southampton has really developed their young talent well (exciting that their english too). It's just a shame that they'll all probably be sold to bigger clubs that will sit them on the bench if they have 1 bad game.

Davenport
05-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Me too. As someone else mentioned, a fit Rodriguez would have been a better option. I can't help thinking that his fit of pique is all a bit of a PR stunt. He's not daft (the mad money helps soften the blow) and he must have known that at his age, with his lack of games played this winter in the Premiership coupled with a move to MLS, finally scuppered his chances.

tfcleeds
05-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Hate to say it, but given Defoe's relative lack of activity vis a vis other England strikers over the last few months or so, I don't really see it as a surprise that he was omitted. However, the one thing he has in his favour (and hopefully starting tonight) is that he's still got time to convince Hodgson he made the wrong decision. Official WC 23 man rosters don't have to be confirmed until June. If Defoe were to go on a tear between now and then, who knows?