PDA

View Full Version : TRADE: TFC aquire Luke Moore

jabbronies
05-08-2014, 04:09 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/05/reds-acquire-luke-moore-colorado

brad
05-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Wow - 3rd team of the season already. Welcome to the MLS Luke...

brad
05-08-2014, 04:34 PM
He scored a hat trick against us in 2007 - the friendly with Villa.

Yohan
05-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Wow - 3rd team of the season already. Welcome to the MLS Luke...
idiot writer failed to mention that it's a 3 way trade between Chivas USA, Colorado and TFC. Marvin Chavez went to Chivas USA for Moore who was flipped to TFC for Gale

Abou Sky
05-08-2014, 05:22 PM
So... What's the catch?

He looks pretty good, like a first team player. Where did he lose his magic?

ensco
05-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I would have preferred Chavez.

jabbronies
05-08-2014, 06:03 PM
looks like a depth player to me. I could see him being a Daryl Russell type player. bring him on to close out a game. Won't score much but can add grit to knock the other team off their game - kill their late game momentum.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-08-2014, 06:10 PM
I was surprised to see him with Chivas. I think he's what need in terms of depth at forward actually. I like this move. I used to rate him back in the day.

Yohan
05-08-2014, 06:11 PM
not with Issey looking good and Chavez at 200-250k and haven't played first team football much of this season

ensco
05-08-2014, 06:13 PM
not with Issey looking good and Chavez at 200-250k and haven't played first team football much of this season

Yes that's true.

Chavez was one of the dominant players in MLS in 2012. Now he's being traded for ... Boss? Amazing how fast things change.

brad
05-08-2014, 06:35 PM
idiot writer failed to mention that it's a 3 way trade between Chivas USA, Colorado and TFC. Marvin Chavez went to Chivas USA for Moore who was flipped to TFC for Gale

That makes more sense.

brad
05-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Makes 120k base, 128k guaranteed.

Red CB Toronto
05-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Cover for when the World Cup is on and some are away?

mowe
05-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Is he better than Wiedeman?

kodiakTFC
05-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Is he better than Wiedeman?

Is anyone? The guy is the best finisher in the modern era. In all seriousness, I have no faith in the guy. I never see him come off the bench and think, "he'll definitely make a difference."

Cashcleaner
05-09-2014, 03:24 AM
So... What's the catch?

The catch is that he's probably not a big improvement. Over the course of 6 years he's scored a grand total of 17 goals in league play. That comes out to about one goal every nine matches if the info I'm looking at is right.

To be honest, there's probably a reason why he's been kicked back and forth between so many teams over the years.

Fort York Redcoat
05-09-2014, 06:43 AM
The catch is that he's probably not a big improvement. Over the course of 6 years he's scored a grand total of 17 goals in league play. That comes out to about one goal every nine matches if the info I'm looking at is right.

To be honest, there's probably a reason why he's been kicked back and forth between so many teams over the years.

Makes sense. The longer players are journeymen, the more affordable the acquisition. I think there's more hope coming from all parties that THIS time will be a fit for him to go on a run. It happens just not often as everyone, the fans and players in question, would like.

I hope he can have an "Earnshaw" kind of start to contributing to this team. And then continue contributing of course.

Villa TFC
05-09-2014, 07:17 AM
So... What's the catch?

When he was still with Villa! He was one of those young players who had great potential, made some great runs, scored some great goals but never fulfilled that potential. He also suffered with injuries (a shoulder injury most significantly) before being sent out on loan and eventually sold. Like so many others, he has the potential to score bucket loads, but I don't see it happening. He lost his way somewhere along the way, but at age 28 he still has the potential to play well. On the positive side, even if he's not scoring goals he might well draw defenders away from his fellow strikers thereby giving them a chance. And on the other positive side, the other ex-Villa player we have seems to be doing okay for us...Michael Bradley!

Detroit_TFC
05-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Yes that's true.

Chavez was one of the dominant players in MLS in 2012. Now he's being traded for ... Boss? Amazing how fast things change.

Must not have got along with Mastroeni.

maninb
05-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Moore was very good at Swansea just a few years ago.....a much better option than Wiederman....

Canary10
05-09-2014, 09:02 AM
I wonder if DeRo might be bought out in the summer? This signing looks like at least a partial admission that DeRo's finished.

gdg_9
05-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Exactly... I really wanted us to make a move for Chavez in the off-season when it became clear he wasn't going to stay with SJ.
Now, with the acquisition and solid play of Issey, we have no need for him.

In hindsight, I think we're way better off with Issey than Chavez - a guy with a big cap-hit who has now been traded twice in a few months after not finding playing time and not getting along with his coaches.

Luke Moore is exactly what we needed - a depth forward.
The only thing I question is his cap hit... seems a bit expensive for the role he will play on our team.

jabbronies
05-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Luke Moore is exactly what we needed - a depth forward.
The only thing I question is his cap hit... seems a bit expensive for the role he will play on our team.

Could be one of those MLS "Scratch my back, I scratch yours" scenarios.

We get rid of guy who was never going to play, but we take the bigger hit as a "favour" now.
Seeing as how 3 teams were involved I have a feeling Columbus are going to be making a move for someone and they needed the $$$
Looks like they just freed up 100K....is that correct?

C.Ronaldo
05-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Makes sense. The longer players are journeymen, the more affordable the acquisition. I think there's more hope coming from all parties that THIS time will be a fit for him to go on a run. It happens just not often as everyone, the fans and players in question, would like.

I hope he can have an "Earnshaw" kind of start to contributing to this team. And then continue contributing of course.

crap, forgot about him, keeping earnshaw would have seemed genius at this point

defensor
05-10-2014, 07:06 AM
In the off season Nelson signs two D.P strikers and spends a decent amount of cap space on dero and this early in the season is already saying he thinks it is that the position they need more players in is strikers. Doesn't this seem odd to you guys? With Osorio struggling with injuries, yes Issey was a great signing and has been great but he doesn't seem to be able to play a full 90 minutes, midfield is where you need the depth, I don't get how Nelson see's signing another striker a "no brainer." I mean, it's not a terrible signing, he got a decent striker, but for me I just don't like it.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/05/09/ryan-nelsen-may-9-2014

Pookie
05-10-2014, 07:19 AM
I wonder if DeRo might be bought out in the summer? This signing looks like at least a partial admission that DeRo's finished.

That would be a bad PR move with no benefit.

The budget charge of a buyout during the season still counts against a team's assigned budget.

tfcleeds
05-10-2014, 07:20 AM
crap, forgot about him, keeping earnshaw would have seemed genius at this point

He would have provided some depth, but that's about it. He signed with a poor Blackpool squad, and couldn't even find a spot on the bench with them.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Nope, Earnshaw wanted first team and money to match thats why he didnt resign, thats why we signed Luke Moore. Realistically after Wiedeman we dont have any depth with Dike injured as a result, Moore signing

Pint
05-10-2014, 11:16 AM
In the off season Nelson signs two D.P strikers and spends a decent amount of cap space on dero and this early in the season is already saying he thinks it is that the position they need more players in is strikers. Doesn't this seem odd to you guys? With Osorio struggling with injuries, yes Issey was a great signing and has been great but he doesn't seem to be able to play a full 90 minutes, midfield is where you need the depth, I don't get how Nelson see's signing another striker a "no brainer." I mean, it's not a terrible signing, he got a decent striker, but for me I just don't like it.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/05/09/ryan-nelsen-may-9-2014

Dero was never brought in to be a striker he is primarily a Midfielder and mainly a winger. Dike was the 3rd striker and with him out and possibly losing Defoe to the WC we needed another Striker.

ag futbol
05-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Chavez would have been cool. I'm surprised people are that enthusiastic about Issey.

Feels like Dero will be back next year... Just not as a player.

ag futbol
05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Dero was never brought in to be a striker he is primarily a Midfielder and mainly a winger. Dike was the 3rd striker and with him out and possibly losing Defoe to the WC we needed another Striker.Very much doubt it. Too slow to play as a winger at this point and we do not use an AM in the middle of the park. He's never been a defensively inclined , he can't play centrally for us with our tactics.

They alluded to the fact in preseason he was here to play up top.

defensor
05-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Dero was never brought in to be a striker he is primarily a Midfielder and mainly a winger. Dike was the 3rd striker and with him out and possibly losing Defoe to the WC we needed another Striker.
mainly as a winger? he's a little old and slow for that don't you think? if you're the opposing team it's pretty easy to just have the rb or the lb push up on dero's side and kill him with pace. whatever, imo he's more suited to play striker now or if we're going with 1 striker or if 5 in the mid at AM, he could also play AM, for like 20 minutes when we're losing. Dike's injured big surprise there.
Yes I am aware Defoe might be going to the WC, but Bradley is going to the WC. With Osorio's recent injury problems, once you take issey off after sixty minutes, our midfield is bekker, hall, rey and jackson, I can't see us winning any games like that. Putting Dero in with 2 forwards hinders us defensively so I wouldn't think you would want him in there. (especially with Bekker) Dero could be better defensively than I give him credit though. Anyways I think people get the picture of what I'm trying to say, I hope luke moore works out for the club though. And hopefully Osorio's can stay healthy, otherwise, we might not make the playoffs.

Priority should be placed on the midfield in my opinion. I'm not an expert in cap management, but we can't have too much space left right no do we?

Pint
05-10-2014, 12:45 PM
is he fast enough to play wing? mabey. I'm more saying that when he was brought in our striker depth in the mind of the front office was: DP, DP, Dike, Dero, Weedman. Now we may be losing one of the DP's and Dike is out so going with DP(Gilberto), Dero (not really a strong choice), and Weedman as the strikers isn't good enough.

I do agree that we need more mid depth as we really only have 2 once Bradley leaves (i'm not counting hall as his injury seams to be a longer term injury).

We needed striker depth and got it, we also need mid depth and maybe we can make another move before monday's deadline but if not then i expect us to add in the summer window.