PDA

View Full Version : Voyageurs Cup semi final 1st leg: Toronto vs Vancouver, Wed 7 May 730pm

Pages : [1] 2

Yohan
05-04-2014, 12:39 AM
TFC has a bye week. Play the first team, ring up big enough score and rest the key players for 2nd leg. (except Bendik who needs a few games)

Caps have a topsy turvy team who are good in spurts, but vulnerable to pace.

reggie
05-04-2014, 12:54 AM
like I said on the other thread...I don't see morales on the van roster?misprint maybe?

Yohan
05-04-2014, 01:04 AM
like I said on the other thread...I don't see morales on the van roster?misprint maybe?
apparently teams can make adjustments to roster till 24hrs before the match

Hamilton_Red
05-04-2014, 01:12 AM
The way the teams are playing...I don't fancy TFC's chances. They haven't looked good at BMO at all...and getiing a result in Vancouver will be very difficult.

Steve

reggie
05-04-2014, 01:52 AM
I don't see Bradley or defoe playing weds...and with oso hurt,you got one actual mid, bekker...the lack of depth on this club is brutal.

jazzy
05-04-2014, 08:24 PM
apparently teams can make adjustments to roster till 24hrs before the match

He was hurting at the end of Van's match....No way he's playing Wed..I'd presume..

jazzy
05-04-2014, 08:32 PM
I don't see Bradley or defoe playing weds...and with oso hurt,you got one actual mid, bekker...the lack of depth on this club is brutal.

and seriously can't see us beating Van , unless they simply don't care , but I think they do . They had a nice game this weekend and like their balance and they have Carl Robinson a gamer .

Red CB Toronto
05-04-2014, 08:41 PM
The Reds have to go all out vs. Vancouver. No way they want to fall to the Whitecaps. I am sure Julio will start both games in the semi-finals as he will want to be all good and ready for Brazil.

Alonso
05-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Osorio being injured is a bitch.

I was worried about his integration into the teams offence prior to this, now it's not even a consideration.

I still think Laba and Earnshaw would have provided more balance to the team over Gilberto.

Having said that, I hope Gilberto will bust a nut over the league's face if he's allowed time to find his way.

OgtheDim
05-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Bendik will start and probably Haggland and Orr. I can see Weideman up front with Gilberto.

But, the rest are going to be starters.

Stress
05-05-2014, 09:23 AM
I read a Vancouver press article last week linked from MLS's site where they talked to Robo and expect a Canadian/Youth heavy line up for this game. Not sure if that's still the case because they were able to sub out a few players after getting such a big lead on the weekend.

I expect TFC will field a pretty strong line up for the first leg and try to build up a solid lead so they can rest guys next week before the NYRB game. From early season interviews, it sounds like Champions League is a goal this year so hopefully we put in a good showing.

If Vancouver does start a more reserve heavy squad, this might be a good opportunity for Gilberto to find his scoring boots and gain some confidence back. Honestly, I won't be happy/comfortable with anything other than a clean sheet and 2+ goal lead to take to Vancouver.

OfficeGuy
05-05-2014, 09:50 AM
We need this win badly in my opinion.

With performance thus far - Cdn Championship with these 2 games should be a focus. Playoffs are still on the horizon and not coming out strong here will be a punch to the stomach after Sat's game against NE.

Phil
05-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Bendik will start and probably Haggland and Orr. I can see Weideman up front with Gilberto.

But, the rest are going to be starters.

I still don't get why Orr isn't our starting RB. I am hoping to see him play that position given he has done it his whole career.

LFC_TFC
05-05-2014, 10:35 AM
I know they like to use these games to give the non-starters some action, but according to Bez at his half time interview on Sat. we are losing b/c we have not had time to "jell", so wouldn't playing our starters together as much as possible facilitate this? Especially since we won't have time to jell as a first team when we are missing key components of our starting line-up during the world cup.

Leedsoronto
05-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Vancouver are HoT at the mo, we need to improve ten fold to get anything on Wendsday, it's footy though so who knows ehh.

Pint
05-05-2014, 11:05 AM
With a week off after this game I would want to see as many of our starters play a role in this game as possible. We need to give our starters time to gel and these V-Cup games are the perfect time to potentially see a weakened side where they would have a chance to dominate a game.

Initial B
05-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Our backline isn't in a good place right now and I don't think Defoe will be playing on Turf. I forsee a 2-1 loss at BC place for wednesday. I don't think we'll be playing in the finals this year, and with the rules on the top team in MLS winning the CCL spot in 2015, I don't think TFC will be winning it either. Either way, this season could be what kills TL's career here in Toronto.

Areathrasher
05-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Luke Wileman ‏@LukeWileman 41 secs (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/LukeWileman/status/463363259022983168) Whitecaps giving young Canadians a chance in Toronto on Wednesday, Carducci will start in goal, Alderson will play, Froese, Bustos in squad

gdg_9
05-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Our backline isn't in a good place right now and I don't think Defoe will be playing on Turf. I forsee a 2-1 loss at BC place for wednesday. I don't think we'll be playing in the finals this year, and with the rules on the top team in MLS winning the CCL spot in 2015, I don't think TFC will be winning it either. Either way, this season could be what kills TL's career here in Toronto.

Wed's game is at home at BMO....

Phil
05-05-2014, 12:32 PM

First leg is at BMO, second leg in Vacouver May 14th.

Rain predicted too - yay!

I thnik CCL will be tough but I won't write them off yet or even consider this being a career killer for TL. He had much worse things happen to him in LA and fixed it there before leaving.

OgtheDim
05-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Will be interesting to see how the "cup vs. league" discussion goes these next two weeks.

Red CB Toronto
05-05-2014, 12:41 PM
I can really see the Reds going with a best 11 lineup for at least the first game with the weekend off. Nelly depending on the result Wednesday night will then decide how to approach the second leg. I am sure Julio will play in both. He wants as many games as possible before Brazil.

Phil
05-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Everything on twitter by the guys covering say that Nelsen has no interest in the V cup. The priority is on MLS playoffs.

ryan
05-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I can really see the Reds going with a best 11 lineup for at least the first game with the weekend off. Nelly depending on the result Wednesday night will then decide how to approach the second leg. I am sure Julio will play in both. He wants as many games as possible before Brazil.

I think we go in for the kill right off the bat.

If Vancouver comes in with a lesser lineup, then fuck it, make them pay.

With Montreal (likely) on the other end of the final, would be foolish not to go for it. Perhaps a V's cup could help motivate and build up some confidence. Give us something to hang our hats on, other than being 3pts from the basement with a league worst 7 goals scored.

ryan
05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Everything on twitter by the guys covering say that Nelsen has no interest in the V cup. The priority is on MLS playoffs.

Well on that note, fuck what I just said.

OfficeGuy
05-05-2014, 12:56 PM
agreed - there is no reason he should be benched - get Henry out of there ... PLEASE

Been saying that for years now

OfficeGuy
05-05-2014, 12:57 PM

I wold think the priority is winning - whatever game against whoever we play

Our record to this point does not instill playoff hopes for me yet

QBall
05-05-2014, 01:06 PM

IIRC there wasn't much interest last year by management in putting out our best for the Cup. With TL's promise of making the playoffs this year it's no great surprise if management continues to show less than maximum enthusiasm for the Cup. As a fan I consider the Canadian Championship to be important enough that we should try. It's the only thing in TFC's existence that has brought us any pride.

Phil
05-05-2014, 01:22 PM
oh yeah, I think it should get some priority IMO.

Its a cup we care about, I don't give a shit about the Trillium cup or any of that garbage. I think there is a little truth to what Luke and them are saying because reputations were put on stake for the playoffs where as the CCL offers travel to exotic lands and poor times. Our schedule is light in the opening of the year and gets pretty loaded at the back end. This possible position by the coaches regarding CCL makes the schedule make a little more sense now.

Red CB Toronto
05-05-2014, 01:24 PM
With Marco Carducci starting in net the Whitecaps, the Reds should go and pepper the 17 year old kid with shot after shot. The 2012 and 2013 U17 Canadian Player of the Year will be making his first team debut Wednesday night after signing with Vancouver this past March.

Three other young Canadians for the Whitecaps in Alderson (20 years old) Froese (18), Bustos (18) will be in the squad in squad.

molenshtain
05-05-2014, 01:31 PM
No Miller and no Mattocks will be helpful. gotta try and run up the score with a full squad (with Bendik) against the kids that Van are going to put out there.

OgtheDim
05-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Who?

Neither Larson nor Molinaro have said that, yet. Davidson? The person from CHCH?
Who am I not following that I should be? :)

TFC07
05-05-2014, 01:55 PM
You think winning V-cup and playing in Champions league would be a good thing for TFC since they play more games which brings in more money to pay off $100 million investment. I guess a playoff game will bring more money than playing 2 V-cup and 2 CL games (at least).

ManUtd4ever
05-05-2014, 01:57 PM
This year, the league fixtures are more of a priority in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if Nelsen sees it the same way.

TFC07
05-05-2014, 02:04 PM
This year, the league fixtures are more of a priority in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if Nelsen sees it the same way.

But but I thought we want to become a "super club" that wins everything? If these teams aren't going to take V-cup and CCL seriously, then just forfeit their games and reward one of NASL teams to respenset Canada in CCL.

themodelcitizen
05-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Given that we only have Julio Cesar for this year, we might as well get a game against a Mexican team (assuming we draw one) while he's here

Pint
05-05-2014, 02:10 PM
I saw Rollins said yesterday that he has heard we will be going with a nearly full lineup Wednesday but take that for what it is worth. I haven't seen much from the front office or coaching staff in terms of information leaks this season.

I hope we start our full squad and try and build up a decent lead in this leg, which would also help this team build some confidence moving forward.

Phil
05-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Who?

Neither Larson nor Molinaro have said that, yet. Davidson? The person from CHCH?
Who am I not following that I should be? :)
I saw Luke pounding it out earlier, but Kurt and a few others were softly agreeing only to do an about face and say they will come out pounding Wed night in order to mail it on on the 14th.

Plausable to with another weekend off for TFC and world cup coming up.

I just hate seeing that kind of speculation from some of the guys covering it closely (the idea that its not a priority). That being said, we have quilified in other years and there has been little love for it, empty stands and obscure travel. The priority if obvousily on playoffs first, v cup 2nd.

Hopefully I will be eating the other foot soon :)

Phil
05-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Given that we only have Julio Cesar for this year, we might as well get a game against a Mexican team (assuming we draw one) while he's here

I get the feeling that if Julio has a good world cup QPR will recall him for a move off the books. Just a bad feeling.

OgtheDim
05-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 30m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/463396407085629440) Nelsen on Wednesday vs. Vancouver: “We don’t play for a week after that. I’ll put out a strong team, a team that I think can win."

FWIW- didn't know there were interviews today.

Walms
05-05-2014, 03:02 PM
my 2 cents: I do agree with what a lot of you have been saying & if the team/Nelly choses to put all its eggs in the 'MLS Playoff' basket I will understand.......

That being said... The V-Cup & Champions League is just as important (to me) as the league & it's something the supporters hold dear. Yes making the playoffs is this years 1st goal, but I rate the Cup and CCL games just as highly. The chance to beat out Vanshitty & L'impact to be crowned Canadian Kings (where we belong) means just as much to me as making the playoffs for the first time

I realize my opinion will have no bearing on the line-up Nelson walks onto the field Wed, but that's how I feel. no matter what happens ill be there yelling as loud as I can for the full 90 min!
:canada::scarf: :canada:

Pint
05-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 30m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/463396407085629440) Nelsen on Wednesday vs. Vancouver: “We don’t play for a week after that. I’ll put out a strong team, a team that I think can win."

i'd imagine the typical Thursday-Friday-Saturday schedule for the team when they play on a saturday would be in place this week but changed to Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday

ryan
05-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Perhaps a 17 year old kid won't be too much of a task for Gilberto to get off his arse.

Walms
05-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Perhaps a 17 year old kid won't be too much of a task for Gilberto to get off his arse.

Hahahaha 17, 15, even 5.... doesn't matter how old they are if your not hitting the net

Red CB Toronto
05-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Hahahaha 17, 15, even 5.... doesn't matter how old they are if your not hitting the net

I can see Gilberto schooling this kid, making him want to be back in the youth leagues. In all seriousness the Reds have to go hard and not give in, build up a big lead and bring it on. No need to hold anyone back with the weekend off.

OgtheDim
05-05-2014, 04:24 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/05/canadian-championship-toronto-fcs-jonathan-osorio-doubtful-semi-1st-leg-vs-v

Armen indicates Osorio has a "quadriceps contusion".

Bradley and Bekker people.

Walms
05-05-2014, 04:40 PM
I can see Gilberto schooling this kid, making him want to be back in the youth leagues. In all seriousness the Reds have to go hard and not give in, build up a big lead and bring it on. No need to hold anyone back with the weekend off.

^This...... 100X this!

BuSaPuNk
05-05-2014, 06:23 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/05/canadian-championship-toronto-fcs-jonathan-osorio-doubtful-semi-1st-leg-vs-v

Yep he took studs right in the back of his leg from Nuguen late in the game right in front of the ref. no call and no surprise. That's where it happened.

brad
05-05-2014, 07:04 PM
I get the feeling that if Julio has a good world cup QPR will recall him for a move off the books. Just a bad feeling.

There have been rumblings that Benfica and one other team (I forget who) are interested.

Also - the loan is to get him fit to showcase himself in the WC. If that doesn't earn him a transfer after, it's really of no benefit for QPR to leave him with us.

I don't think he will be here past the WC.

Red CB Toronto
05-05-2014, 07:24 PM
There have been rumblings that Benfica and one other team (I forget who) are interested.

Also - the loan is to get him fit to showcase himself in the WC. If that doesn't earn him a transfer after, it's really of no benefit for QPR to leave him with us.

QPR is in the promotion playoff with Robert Green as their first choice. I can not really see them recall Julio unless a big July transfer is in the cards, especially after a strong World Cup, maybe even winning it.

ryan
05-05-2014, 07:29 PM

Outside of collecting a bit of his salary back, no?

jazzy
05-05-2014, 07:55 PM

from rumours I don't think TL wants to be around after this year......as Larsen said, we seem to be losing our soul . I don't see us actually jelling at all this year.......for many reasons , too much too fast and in some ways we still have the same old team . EG this game . Our bench . This game is all Vancouver if they really want it . Which ever team dresses to win , gets it . And another game in the cold rain , more than likely . Fix the damn stadium .

jazzy
05-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Yep he took studs right in the back of his leg from Nuguen late in the game right in front of the ref. no call and no surprise. That's where it happened.

it is very disheartening the quality of officiating MLS has dropped to . This is exactly what worries me , not goal mistakes but career affecting injuries being missed . Refs seem to like the rough game .I've watched a lot of games people falling like leaves in the box and not being called , then penalties given , then 2 footed stud up missed tackles totally not called . It was only a matter of time before injury . FFS

nlsanand
05-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Seems quite reasonable since we don't have a game, but obviously don't risk an injury on this game.

Red CB Toronto
05-05-2014, 08:25 PM
from rumours I don't think TL wants to be around after this year......as Larsen said, we seem to be losing our soul . I don't see us actually jelling at all this year.......for many reasons , too much too fast and in some ways we still have the same old team . EG this game . Our bench . This game is all Vancouver if they really want it . Which ever team dresses to win , gets it . And another game in the cold rain , more than likely . Fix the damn stadium .

Are u really saying TL wants to leave after this year?

notthesun
05-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Getting slightly annoyed at seeing guys rushed back only to end up on the physio table again.

Seems like it was a contact injury, not a strain caused by overwork. I'm not sure you can chalk this up to anything other than bad luck.

ag futbol
05-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Seems like it was a contact injury, not a strain caused by overwork. I'm not sure you can chalk this up to anything other than bad luck.
That, and hastily formulated message board opinions. Give me a minute to think of a reason to entrench my original point....

BuSaPuNk
05-05-2014, 08:51 PM
it is very disheartening the quality of officiating MLS has dropped to . This is exactly what worries me , not goal mistakes but career affecting injuries being missed . Refs seem to like the rough game .I've watched a lot of games people falling like leaves in the box and not being called , then penalties given , then 2 footed stud up missed tackles totally not called . It was only a matter of time before injury . FFS

Agreed. We all know how bad it was but I was amazed seeing that happen. Studs up an high from behind and te ref told Osorio to get up. Are you fucking kidding me? I'm surprised when Bradley went to the refs after the game he didn't cold clock one of them. Just disgraceful.

notthesun
05-05-2014, 09:22 PM
That, and hastily formulated message board opinions. Give me a minute to think of a reason to entrench my original point....

Hey, I'm looking for someone to blame too. The injuries have been ridiculous so far. Hard to tell what is crappy luck or crappy rehab from our keyboards and television sets.

Cashcleaner
05-06-2014, 12:20 AM
Vancouver has picked up 13 points after 9 games in MLS this season and have a record of 3-2-4 thus far. Their total goals for is 15. Toronto has less than half of that with only 7 goals, though in fairness we have only played 7 games.

Vancouver has also spread those 15 goals over 7 players; Morales, Manneh, Miller, Mattocks, Fernandez, Mezquida, and Harvey. In contrast, only 4 TFC players have found the back of the net (Defoe, Bradley, Jackson, and Nakajima-Farren). Again, they have two more games under their belt so I think we are more even matched than it probably looks. Also, both Miller and Mattocks are gone, so there is now a noticeable hole in their offense.

Although it's still early, conditions on Wednesday are likely going to be cool (12 degrees) with isolated showers in Toronto. Vancouver, on the other hand, has been warm and dry. I think we'll have a slight edge when it comes to environmental conditions, but with all things considered, I think it will be a pretty even match-up for the first game of our Canadian Championship effort.

Hamilton_Red
05-06-2014, 12:31 AM
I think we go in for the kill right off the bat.

If Vancouver comes in with a lesser lineup, then fuck it, make them pay.

With Montreal (likely) on the other end of the final, would be foolish not to go for it. Perhaps a V's cup could help motivate and build up some confidence. Give us something to hang our hats on, other than being 3pts from the basement with a league worst 7 goals scored.

Out best memories with TFC are in the CCL. Playing Mexican teams at BMO is the highest level of games we get to see. Bring it on.

mcolvy
05-06-2014, 12:32 AM

I dont know about that. Bradley does not look anywhere close to 100% and despite his all out ignorance of his personal health, he must have the world cup on his mind.

I am really worried he goes into the World Cup with a knock and just completely destroys his body to the point where he will suffer for the rest of the season.

Rest him please. If Hall is back at it, then Hall and Bekker, but it would make sense to just have Bekker and Orr in the hole.

I predict Hagglund will get a game in beside Caldwell to maybe give Henry a rest and time to get over last game. Or you thrown him right back in to learn from his mistakes. Who knows.

OgtheDim
05-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Hall is out. Osorio needs a week. As for Orr, any partnership in midfield requires timing to be successful. Orr doesn't play there, ever. It would be a disaster.

There is no choice but Bradley and Bekker.

brad
05-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Outside of collecting a bit of his salary back, no?

That is a benefit, but not a very large one.

Caesar's QPR salary is reportedly around £45,000/week (~ 75,500 USD) or £2.5 million pound/year ( ~ 4.2 million USD).

We are paying him $192,000USD/year, approximately 2.5 weeks of his QPR salary. If you look at it on a weekly basis, we are covering ~ 3,692USD/£2,175 per week of his salary

Post WC, it will be in their best interest is to move him and reduce their wage bill by as much as possible. It is very unlikely they will find a team that will pay him what he makes now, which means QPR will need to eat some of his salary if they want to keep him. If they can find a team willing to pay a transfer fee and pay him a base salary of more than £2,175/week, then there is no benefit to QPR to leave him here.

Hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see him stay for the season, but I would be shocked. Unless he has an absolutely torrid WC and no clubs want him.

brad
05-06-2014, 08:03 AM
QPR is in the promotion playoff with Robert Green as their first choice. I can not really see them recall Julio unless a big July transfer is in the cards, especially after a strong World Cup, maybe even winning it.

See my post above. Arsenal wanted him last year but the wage demands are were too big. If QPR can't move him for the full salary post WC, they will never move him full salary. At that point, it would be better financially for them to sell him and continue to cover part of his salary than it would be to leave him here.

Other factor - Green is the number one because they wanted to force Cesar out due to his high wage- not because he is the better keeper. if they are promoted, and can't move him, they may very well recall him to be part of the QPR squad again.

Phil
05-06-2014, 08:05 AM

Took a look into those rumours, although they have a ring of truth, I don't know. I guess nothing shocks me at this point.

Wife doesn't like that brutal winter
High level of dysfunction on the board (who would have thought given the company is run by two rivals???)
Was under pressure to bring in Argos and fix BMO
Feels that 2 of the 3 teams are *fixed* and getting 3rd set with new people / direction

Now we have TFC listing a bit - I scoffed at the assumption this could be a competition that puts a lot of pressure on TL, but maybe there is something there.

On the other side of things, TL's daughter works with Bon Jovi, they is definite interest in bringing NFL to the area and the Bills look prime in some aspects. I think this is about ego and he sees a shot at the glory he didn't get in LA. As well, his daughter married a hocky player that they moved from LA to here, I just can't see some dysfunction and a bad winter being grounds to pack it all up and hightail it out. CEO's tend to think a bit different than that but we wait and see I guess.

Ahhhh, sports, games in the boardroom and BS....welcome to Toronto. :D

Phil
05-06-2014, 08:11 AM
That is a benefit, but not a very large one.

Caesar's QPR salary is reportedly around £45,000/week (~ 75,500 USD) or £2.5 million pound/year ( ~ 4.2 million USD).

We are paying him $192,000USD/year, approximately 2.5 weeks of his QPR salary. If you look at it on a weekly basis, we are covering ~ 3,692USD/£2,175 per week of his salary

Post WC, it will be in their best interest is to move him and reduce their wage bill by as much as possible. It is very unlikely they will find a team that will pay him what he makes now, which means QPR will need to eat some of his salary if they want to keep him. If they can find a team willing to pay a transfer fee and pay him a base salary of more than £2,175/week, then there is no benefit to QPR to leave him here.

Hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see him stay for the season, but I would be shocked. Unless he has an absolutely torrid WC and no clubs want him.

I would like to see him stick around and I am sure he does too, but it seems like a bad charity case in the long run (full MLS season). He is pretty much impossible to move in the January window which would be the one he is eligable for again, like you point out, full market value and recompensation probably only happens in the summer window post world cup.

Then look at the articles recently - 'Julio wants to leave TFC in a good position before world cup' and 'Bendick has improved under Cesar'. I probably have the tin foil hat thing going but those articles seemed primed in upping confidence in the position with Joe and hint at an immenent departure of Julio.

To bring it back to topic I think this is Bendicks warm up to a long second half of the season. I do have full confidence in both guys, fun to think the captain of Brazil played for us during the world cup.

brad
05-06-2014, 08:16 AM
I would like to see him stick around and I am sure he does too, but it seems like a bad charity case in the long run (full MLS season). He is pretty much impossible to move in the January window which would be the one he is eligable for again, like you point out, full market value and recompensation probably only happens in the summer window post world cup.

Then look at the articles recently - 'Julio wants to leave TFC in a good position before world cup' and 'Bendick has improved under Cesar'. I probably have the tin foil hat thing going but those articles seemed primed in upping confidence in the position with Joe and hint at an immenent departure of Julio.

To bring it back to topic I think this is Bendicks warm up to a long second half of the season. I do have full confidence in both guys, fun to think the captain of Brazil played for us during the world cup.

Either way it makes sense to play Bendik tonight. Cesar is gone for several games, it makes sense to give Bendik a match to get him towards match fitness for those games. Regardless of what we think, the league is the priority of the team, not the cups.

However, it would not suprise me one bit if Cesar came here under the terms that he plays every game he is fit for, so we might see him instead.

ryan
05-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Either way it makes sense to play Bendik tonight. Cesar is gone for several games, it makes sense to give Bendik a match to get him towards match fitness for those games. Regardless of what we think, the league is the priority of the team, not the cups.

However, it would not suprise me one bit if Cesar came here under the terms that he plays every game he is fit for, so we might see him instead.

Very good point. We may not have a choice.

ironcub14
05-06-2014, 09:20 AM
From what I've seen on the Voyageurs forum and the CSA website, it seems the Whitecaps won't be treating this competition with much seriousness at all. I'm guessing we are more likely to see a 2nd XI than a 1st tomorrow?

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/index.p...ouver-whitecaps-fc-may-7th-430pm-pt-730pm-et/

(http://www.thevoyageurs.org/index.php?/topic/26934-toronto-fc-vs-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-may-7th-430pm-pt-730pm-et/)http://www.canadasoccer.com/clubs-s15266

OgtheDim
05-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Random potentials:

We might get a Morgan sighting tomorrow.

Jackson gets the day off with Rey and Issy playing.

Stress
05-06-2014, 11:28 AM
- Feels like 5 degrees with 70%/80% chance of light rain.
- Wednesday night with horrible transportation options.
- Coming off a bunch of losses and the buzz is fading.
- Expectation that reserves might be starting.

What's the over/under on attendance? I'd say 10,000.

C.Ronaldo
05-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Random potentials:

We might get a Morgan sighting tomorrow.

Jackson gets the day off with Rey and Issy playing.

rey and issey can see alot of creativity

OgtheDim
05-06-2014, 11:59 AM
http://www.ttc.ca/images/Service_Advisories/Route_Diversions/511509loop_140505.gif

So if you usually come down the Bathurst car, you take a car to Fleet Loop, and then a bus into the Ex grounds.

Taken from http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/310_Bathurst_krt.jsp

OgtheDim
05-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Toronto FC ✔ @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) Nelsen: Yes, Joe Bendik will play.

Defoe: I just missed 3 games, so I just need to get games, league or cup. #tfclive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfclive&src=hash) pic.twitter.com/SGaGksmE0E (http://t.co/SGaGksmE0E)

ryan
05-06-2014, 12:57 PM
http://www.ttc.ca/images/Service_Advisories/Route_Diversions/511509loop_140505.gif

So if you usually come down the Bathurst car, you take a car to Fleet Loop, and then a bus into the Ex grounds.

Taken from http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/310_Bathurst_krt.jsp

Getting around this city is a god forsaken fucking nightmare from hell.

Red CB Toronto
05-06-2014, 01:14 PM

Take the GO train from Union, will save you from a headache, even after spending the extra $5.

ironcub14
05-06-2014, 03:09 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=451403

"Midfielder Jonathan Osorio and defender Bradley Orr are doubtful through injury but Nelsen expects England striker Jermain Defoe and his other big guns to start. Toronto has an MLS bye this weekend."

ryan
05-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Take the GO train from Union, will save you from a headache, even after spending the extra $5.

I was really just speaking in general. Not worth $5 when I could just walk!

LFC8
05-06-2014, 05:41 PM
So we're resting someone that's going to be gone for the world cup in a week or two? Ohh Nelsen....you're so smart!

Red CB Toronto
05-06-2014, 05:44 PM
I was really just speaking in general. Not worth $5 when I could just walk!

I have walked many times, rather quite enjoyable, just pointing it out if people are in a rush.

Areathrasher
05-06-2014, 06:26 PM
So we're resting someone that's going to be gone for the world cup in a week or two? Ohh Nelsen....you're so smart!

Bendik has been earmarked to start these games since Cesar came in. Nothing to do with being rested.

“I played 33 games last year and I’ve had time here to get my hands in,” Bendik said. “It’ll be good to play Vancouver twice in the Amway Cup and from there that will lead me into the middle of the season, so yeah, very confident.”

Thats a quote from Bendik from last month.

ensco
05-06-2014, 06:49 PM
^This is what Real Madrid did with Casillas (play him only in Champions League). It's actually an interesting way to manage the GKs.

jazzy
05-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Are u really saying TL wants to leave after this year?

Steven Brunt whom I greatly admire and McCowan had hinted the that was the going rumour
, for many reasons not the least Rogers and Bell still not being so communicative and best of friends . (and his wife is not charmed by the weather , lol )..He wants to successfully set the teams on the right course and move on ........after comments I saw on the stars website towards his wife , I wouldn't be surprised . shame

ryan
05-06-2014, 08:22 PM
^This is what Real Madrid did with Casillas (play him only in Champions League). It's actually an interesting way to manage the GKs.

Well if we were to make the knockout, Bendik would be the guy regardless. Like the idea of him playing this whole thing should it fall that way for us.

jazzy
05-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Took a look into those rumours, although they have a ring of truth, I don't know. I guess nothing shocks me at this point.

Wife doesn't like that brutal winter
High level of dysfunction on the board (who would have thought given the company is run by two rivals???)
Was under pressure to bring in Argos and fix BMO
Feels that 2 of the 3 teams are *fixed* and getting 3rd set with new people / direction

Now we have TFC listing a bit - I scoffed at the assumption this could be a competition that puts a lot of pressure on TL, but maybe there is something there.

On the other side of things, TL's daughter works with Bon Jovi, they is definite interest in bringing NFL to the area and the Bills look prime in some aspects. I think this is about ego and he sees a shot at the glory he didn't get in LA. As well, his daughter married a hocky player that they moved from LA to here, I just can't see some dysfunction and a bad winter being grounds to pack it all up and hightail it out. CEO's tend to think a bit different than that but we wait and see I guess.

Ahhhh, sports, games in the boardroom and BS....welcome to Toronto. :D

hopefully every step, is a slight one forward .......as I look around the league there are some quality teams with dedicated personal , not really 'big' name , but getting the job done especially with the balanced team concept . So if he did leave at least he started a 'positive' we can do it approach . Our foundations still are shakey , Bradley and Defoe can't get it done by themselves, esp Defoe....he's nothing without service . Maybe we could use a small realistic step back and slow down and realise we aren't going to dominate quite yet . Also as much as I hate to say it , I don't see a passionate all for one spirit forming under Nelson . As per the raptors , lets say . It is Nelson's job to drill the team concept . And esp after watching Gilberto steal , Osorios almost sure goal and shoot ridiculously wide on Sat I wonder if each man is trying too hard and everyone is thinking me instead of the team . Jackson another one guilty also . Still waiting for an accurate pass or shot going forward from him. Issey should come on for him sooner rather than later , sending him a message . but thats another point . I am just looking at this point for teamwork . This game is a way to improve that . Play Hagglund , Orr , and ?? yes our bench is kinda shameful. And if Weidman can't produce in these games then he has to go .

jazzy
05-06-2014, 08:47 PM

actually ....worse . Payback for the bullshit federal, Provincial and even Toronto civic governments all saying FU Toronto . Until everyone votes and says we won't take this shit anymore everything will be TO pays and the rest of the country receives .

ManUtd4ever
05-06-2014, 09:42 PM

It worked well for us a few years ago with Frei and Kocic as well.

Abou Sky
05-06-2014, 09:51 PM
actually ....worse . Payback for the bullshit federal, Provincial and even Toronto civic governments all saying FU Toronto . Until everyone votes and says we won't take this shit anymore everything will be TO pays and the rest of the country receives .

Time to become our own City State

Hamilton_Red
05-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Time to become our own City State

Oh my aching sides! You guys vited for Rob Ford FFS...you can't be trusted with the vote!

OgtheDim
05-07-2014, 06:17 AM
Weather looking a lot like Saturday. 9 feeling like 6 with slight rain.

Hopefully without the gnats and a certain game changing bone head play by Henry.

ryan
05-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Oh my aching sides! You guys vited for Rob Ford FFS...you can't be trusted with the vote!

Nobody in Toronto proper voted for Rob Ford, we're merely outnumbered by the burbs.

Anywho, gameday, can't wait to smack them caps around.

Phil
05-07-2014, 08:05 AM
I hope for a TFC win, but nothing is ever easy with this team.

Red CB Toronto
05-07-2014, 08:08 AM
With the General in the midfield and Defoe and Gilberto up front things could very well go the Reds way especially with the Whitecaps trotting out a bunch of young players including a 17 year old goalie making his first team debut.

WestStandGeoff
05-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Nobody in Toronto proper voted for Rob Ford, we're merely outnumbered by the burbs.

Anywho, gameday, can't wait to smack them caps around.

Going off-topic, but your generalization is very wrong. Some of us saw Ford as the lesser of the 2 evils compared to Smitherman. In fact, I've said it a few time, and will say it again - even with everything that keeps coming out about Rob Ford, I would still probably vote for him over an admitted recovering "club drug" addict (seems like meth) who squandered literally billions while in office as a provincial cabinet minister.

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2014, 08:35 AM
:topic:

Gameday.

OgtheDim
05-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Its been a long few years in this city. The Raptors have helped bring a bit of light. Time for TFC to bring some too.

A big win tonight, with a clean sheet and some promise would be a start.

Derko
05-07-2014, 08:55 AM

You do know we will be depending on Bendik whilst the World Cup is on, would it not make sense to give him some game minutes!!

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2014, 09:17 AM

Do we know it was Nelsen's final decision?

InDa_110
05-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Thunderstorms in forecast for game time.

Maybe they start the game, vancouver scores early and then game gets called off. HMMMMM.... what year was that again?

MightyDM
05-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Weststandgeoff, RF threw away $100 million by canceling the Sheppard LRT and likely another couple of billion by trying to build a three stop subway that serves fewer people than the LRT originally planned in another part of Scarborough. But I don't think that'll affect Wednesday's game, no matter how ludicrous.

Carts
05-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Thunderstorms in forecast for game time.

Maybe they start the game, vancouver scores early and then game gets called off. HMMMMM.... what year was that again?

That night was a drunken mess!!!!

Highlight was guys trying to light the gas heaters in the washroom with a lighter - I thought we were going to blow BMO up and burn it to the ground... LOL

OgtheDim
05-07-2014, 10:14 AM
FWIW

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10300880_10152017111216805_7647849668195388188_n.j pg

I would think we will see Issy instead of DeRo, Henry as against Orr and Gilberto as against Weideman.

Nice attacking squad regardless.

levyashin
05-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Are we there yet?
Close (as my Dad used to say)After just leaving the driveway.
Nelson is along way from inspiring confidence in this team and us as fans.
The quality of play has been so erratic we have no real identity as a whole.
Desire is a huge part of a Winning team non has been exhibited so far that is obvious to me.
Game tempo has to increase 100% for 95 minutes every game.
Movement on and off the ball.
THIS and any number of instructions that have to be instilled at 6/7 years old are still lacking at T.F.C.
It is now TIME to smarten the fuck up.:hump:

Carts
05-07-2014, 10:21 AM
With no game on Saturday, and some guys gone soon for the WCup - play a full squad, get a big win, have some fun out there. and put some confidence back in our boots...

Phil
05-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Pitch will be lovely - yay rain!

nfitz
05-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Hopefully without the gnats and a certain game changing bone head play by Henry.Beware, I was on a GO Train passing through Exhibition stadium yesterday afternoon, and you could see the cloud of what I'd call mayflies outside the train.

But if we are lucky(?), the rain will keep them at bay.

Red CB Toronto
05-07-2014, 10:56 AM
That night was a drunken mess!!!!

Highlight was guys trying to light the gas heaters in the washroom with a lighter - I thought we were going to blow BMO up and burn it to the ground... LOL

Just like the Dallas CCL the rain came down in buckets, and in the end it was called off for the night. I was really disappointed when the replay could not take place the next morning, unlike vs. Dallas, it is great to see true supporters out on a Thursday morning cheering on the Reds, it is the sacrifices we make for this club, call in sick, ditch prior engagements to be there.

Anyways who cares if a little rain finds it way onto the pitch today, good times will be had and people will have to enjoy the night in a big way, no excuses for anyone not to be there.

Red CB Toronto
05-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Who is ready to party tonight, good times ahead, getting ready for the World Cup send off parties in Jacksonville and NYC, so tonight will rock, let the good times role mo foes. The General will be in the building.

MartinUtd
05-07-2014, 11:19 AM
So what's the latest in injuries and availability?

I hear Osorio is out, Bradley is playing with a knock, Rey should be game fit, Defoe played a full 90 last week, everyone on defense seems to be healthy...

Super
05-07-2014, 11:23 AM
We need to be gunning to win the Voyageurs Cup every year. Forget the Trillium cup and all that nonsense, this is a proper cup against our national rivals - it should mean a whole heck of a lot.

Red CB Toronto
05-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Mr Cab Driver when are you coming to pick me up.

Pint
05-07-2014, 11:43 AM
So what's the latest in injuries and availability?

I hear Osorio is out, Bradley is playing with a knock, Rey should be game fit, Defoe played a full 90 last week, everyone on defense seems to be healthy...

only player ruled out is Hall, both Osorio and Orr are doubtful.

Everyone else should be good to go

Red CB Toronto
05-07-2014, 11:48 AM
I think the General will take the Whitecaps and show them a show, victory for the Reds, who is ready for a good night, good night and all that comes with it.

ManUtd4ever
05-07-2014, 12:20 PM
The amount of home games that are forecasted with rain is ridiculous. The roof can't come soon enough. I also think early May should be off limits, because those gnats are extremely annoying, LOL. Every damn year it's the same issue.

Pint
05-07-2014, 12:22 PM
The roof won't stop you from getting wet the way it is currently designed IMO

Cashcleaner
05-07-2014, 12:58 PM
FWIW

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10300880_10152017111216805_7647849668195388188_n.j pg

I would think we will see Issy instead of DeRo, Henry as against Orr and Gilberto as against Weideman.

Nice attacking squad regardless.

We seem to be getting mixed signals on the club about the importance of the Canadian Championship, but I'm pretty confident with this starting squad; though like you, I'd be happy with bringing Nakajima-Farren in instead of DeRo.

If it wasn't for having to work the afternoon shift, I'd be at BMO tonight watching this live. :(

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2014, 01:24 PM
The roof won't stop you from getting wet the way it is currently designed IMO

Correct. The roof as is will not protect from the elements (or help with sound btw)

Pint
05-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Correct. The roof as is will not protect from the elements (or help with sound btw)

All the sound in the south will be depressed if any wind is coming off the lake. If they only close one section of the stadium i sure hope it is the back of the south end (and as you know that is coming from someone who isn't even in the south end).

defensor
05-07-2014, 01:40 PM
wouldn't be supprised if TFC struggle to get by the VWC reserves the way they have been playing, though I expect a TFC win. Also the Whitecaps young players are really good, I'm not sure about the GK though. I'm going to laugh when Henry gives up 25 fouls or a PK on the caps young speedsters.

WestStandGeoff
05-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Weststandgeoff, RF threw away $100 million by canceling the Sheppard LRT and likely another couple of billion by trying to build a three stop subway that serves fewer people than the LRT originally planned in another part of Scarborough. But I don't think that'll affect Wednesday's game, no matter how ludicrous.

I hope you can read that last sentence of your post and realize how ironic it is that you needed to call me out. If you want to PM me, or post in the Rob Ford thread, I'll gladly explain a bit better why some of us chose the giant douche over the turd sandwich.

Like Pete said...

:topic:

Gameday.

Super
05-07-2014, 01:50 PM
It's just odd how it's raining so often when TFC plays. Now watch us get a roof and all of a sudden the sun will be shining on every TFC game lol. That's fine by me anyway. The quality of the football is way better on clear days anyway.

bones
05-07-2014, 03:29 PM
let's just hope that pitch saw some cutting blades since Saturday.

OgtheDim
05-07-2014, 03:50 PM
The forecast is changed.

No rain.

Yell at me later if my trust in the weather network for Toronto Island is wrong. :wink5:

CBTFC
05-07-2014, 04:29 PM
The forecast is changed.

No rain.

Yell at me later if my trust in the weather network for Toronto Island is wrong. :wink5:

I'll second that. Looks like it'll be a perfect evening for footie.

C'mon You Reds!

:scarf:

SoccerMan
05-07-2014, 05:50 PM
anyone know if there is an official stream for this game? i remember the old canadian championship games had a free official stream...........................

Pookie
05-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Considering how often it changes, forecast is such a misleading word.

They should call it the Guesscast.

OgtheDim
05-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Field has been cut. Divots all over. Bugs gone. Gusty from the east.

NolbertoS
05-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Hey anybody have a online link to watch the game?? I'm working late :(

mclaren
05-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Hey anybody have a online link to watch the game?? I'm working late :(

Here ya go
http://www.sportlemon.tv/20140508/wv536abbbab0cd8460597313-815689.html

notthesun
05-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Starters

TFC: Bendik, Hagglund, Caldwell, Henry, Morrow, Rey, Bekker, Bradley, Issey, Defoe, Gilberto

VWFC: Carducci, Reo-Coker, Mitchell, Leveron, Dean, Teibert, Alderson, Froese, Mezquida, Bustos, Hurtado

We win this game comfortably on paper.

Richard
05-07-2014, 06:32 PM
That is the best possible lineup we could produce with the exception of Osario and Julio. We need to see some results, no reason we cant come out with a win.

SirBobSaget
05-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Need to put this away tonight. Expect a 4 goal lead

SirBobSaget
05-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Caps gk is very undersized gotta take advantage

NolbertoS
05-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Here ya go
http://www.sportlemon.tv/20140508/wv536abbbab0cd8460597313-815689.html

Thanks buddy :)

pdubs
05-07-2014, 06:46 PM
defender in right spot right time bah

notthesun
05-07-2014, 06:46 PM
6 man bench, Bloom is starting and Hagglund is gone. Hooray for injuries, I'm assuming.

notthesun
05-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Carducci is extremely green as you might expect for a 17 year old. We need to test him more.

v00d00daddy
05-07-2014, 06:58 PM
How is Bradley looking so insignificant against this Vancouver side? He should be imposing his will.

With Defoe, Bradley and Gilberto in the lineup it would be a huge failure if we don't win by a fair margin.

This game has been brutal so far...both ways. Lol

pdubs
05-07-2014, 07:00 PM
bradley either looks like he is still a little unfit or he doesn't want to fuck with anything before brazil.

pdubs
05-07-2014, 07:02 PM
btw anytime someone plants a foot the grass just comes up in huge chunks. idk lol

edit- keep going gilberto. even tho people will rag on him for missing the header i am still a fan.

SirBobSaget
05-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Every pass shot from Gilberto has been embarrassing.

rocktml
05-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Fuck we play a ugly game.

fdasilva
05-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Defoe!!!

notthesun
05-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Every pass shot from Gilberto has been embarrassing.

Then he assists Defoe's goal. lol

Rey and Bloom provide the best consistent combination play from any two players I've seen in TFC red. They should both start every game together when they're available.

pdubs
05-07-2014, 07:25 PM
bendik in same form as last year

wesvahr
05-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Not sure why you have Kyle Bekker take that free kick just outside the box...

Ajax TFC
05-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Not sure why you have Kyle Bekker take that free kick just outside the box...
Because he's good at them duh

T-boy
05-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Good setup play from Gilberto for the goal, but lets face....he's never going to score for TFC

Hoping my mocking will prompt him to score a second half hat trick!

wesvahr
05-07-2014, 07:39 PM
compared to myself yes he is very talented, compared to Bradley who is standing right beside him I would take the later.

defensor
05-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Not surprising for me. Watch out for when they bring manneh on around the 60' minute. I thought the young canadian speedy left back adekugbe would be playing today? must be injured. Honestly, this is basically a reserve team they are playing, this could end up embarrassing for TFC if it ends in a draw. I believe TFC is against the wind in this second half as well, I think it's like diagonal though.

Leedsoronto
05-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Carducci playing good for VWC, maybe because he aloud to stay up late ?

defensor
05-07-2014, 07:44 PM
also gilberto assisted TFC's goal on saturday as well as today oddly enough. His defensive work is also somewhat impressive in an odd way for a striker, sort of like Cavani but not as much. I think he'll start scoring when he get's his confidence though, strikers tend to score in bunches.

notthesun
05-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Carducci playing good for VWC, maybe because he aloud to stay up late ?

He's been quite poor...

defensor
05-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Nelsen looks nervous

speckles
05-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Nelsen looks nervous

can't blame him, we are making hard work of it.

defensor
05-07-2014, 08:01 PM
can't blame him, we are making hard work of it.
I know. really though even with 1 goal led going after this game it should be considered a loss. Vancouver with be like 5x as good at home with their actual squad

Literally the majority of their squad has never played for the senior team before.

speckles
05-07-2014, 08:03 PM
we need three at least...to have an advantage going to BC.

speckles
05-07-2014, 08:09 PM
execution is so poor.........

Hamilton_Red
05-07-2014, 08:10 PM
The team doesn't look like it has much of a plan. Gilberto is not wprking out...this should be a cake walk for TfC.

SirBobSaget
05-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Absolutely pitiful.

speckles
05-07-2014, 08:14 PM
been expecting a pityful draw

notthesun
05-07-2014, 08:14 PM
How many deserved free kicks on the edge of the box has the ref denied us now? Ridiculous.

ExiledRed
05-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Bendik is a keeper

see what i did there?

defensor
05-07-2014, 08:18 PM
How many deserved free kicks on the edge of the box has the ref denied us now? Ridiculous.
he's called it similar on both sides. Gilberto went down easy but it would be have been a foul by almost every ref, but there's been some fouls not called against TFC so imo he has been somewhat fair.
here comes manneh now that the defense is tired. oh god

SirBobSaget
05-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Should have stayed at the north and to be up close to all the action

speckles
05-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Is Gilberto a defender now?

ExiledRed
05-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Is Gilberto a defender now?

Everybody is a defender when we're one up.

every time.

speckles
05-07-2014, 08:25 PM
need a late goaL

pdubs
05-07-2014, 08:26 PM
we are getting a lot of chances but we are just being sloppy,

pdubs
05-07-2014, 08:28 PM
shoulda had 4-5. but ill take 2 over 1

ExiledRed
05-07-2014, 08:28 PM
stunning

tfcleeds
05-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Wow...now that's a nice finish. And might even be enough to see us to the final.

speckles
SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF PLAYERS APPLY JUST A TOUCH OF FxxKEN SKILL

notthesun
Bradley has stepped it up in the last 20 or so minutes. He was definitely holding back before.

QBall
2-0. Man it's going to suck when Bradley is gone.

Hamilton_Red
05-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Crap...VWFc just won this tie with their teenagers!

defensor
manneh scores. called it

also bradley was absolutely left wide open on that goal, it was so obvious what was coming too. really nice finish though anyway. and yeah vancouver has a clear advantage now with the away goal especially

pdubs
wtf was that lol.

ExiledRed
oh ffs

notthesun
05-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Sigh. Whatever.

speckles
05-07-2014, 08:32 PM
There goes the advantage in this series

tfcleeds
05-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Wow...now that's a nice finish. And might even be enough to see us to the final.

Spoke too soon. Dang.

Shakes McQueen
05-07-2014, 08:33 PM
There goes the advantage in this series

Just have to make sure we don't need it.

PopePouri
05-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Caldwell is shit. Needs to sit next game and bring in Orr alongside Henry.

ensco
Classic TFC. Only they know how to win a game and have everyone feel in their bones that it was a loss.

gracos
What does that mean we need to get in Vancouver, the options seemed to be less after we let in Manneh

Hamilton_Red
05-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Seriously...this is going south now. That was our best starting outfield.... Against a youth team. Away goal advantage for Vancouver. They are not going to have a chance in Vancouver.

Gilberto & Rey were just awfull.

tfcleeds
05-07-2014, 08:35 PM
We always have to make it close. That's just the way it is with this club. How I'd long for another 6-1 win a la 2009.

SirBobSaget
05-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Should have stayed at the north and to be up close to all the action

wzhxvy
05-07-2014, 08:37 PM
I have to say...felt like we were out coached this game, the game plan was flat and the substitutions ineffective while Vancouver always looked like they were executing a plan.

defensor
05-07-2014, 08:37 PM
also nelson paid too much for gilberto to put it simply. especially with defoe and dero in the lineup. it doesn't really make sense to me.

speckles
05-07-2014, 08:38 PM
The skill leave is fallen off a cliff..defense fragile again in the last ten and me thinks Bradly more concerned about WC than club and has been holding back last couple of games. This team is building a nasty momentum.

T-boy
05-07-2014, 08:38 PM
You seriously can't blame Caldwell or any of the defense for now winning by more tonight. That's all down to the attackers - we just can't seem to score a lot. Gilberto, for all his effort, just isn't looking like scoring. so its all down to Bradley and Defo, who really are the only two who ever look like scoring. Rey never looks liek scoring, Bekker doesn't either, and we don't look dangerous at all from the many corners and free kicks we get (that was down to Bekker tonight, how many times did he underhit or overhit a dead ball????).

gracos
05-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Right now it doesnt look like Gilberto was a smart signing we need to rid him of his DP contract, would be fine if he was just an international player

Shakes McQueen
05-07-2014, 08:40 PM
I have to say...felt like we were out coached this game, the game plan was flat and the substitutions ineffective while Vancouver always looked like they were executing a plan.

I thought we looked alright - were just let down in the final 10 yards by several players. Lots of prime chances, that weren't bagged, or were squandered away by a shitty or unfortunate final move/pass.

nonc
05-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Predictable ending. Joke clearance by Caldwell... I don't get it, if you aren't in a strong position to bash the ball downfield surely it should at least be sent towards touch and not a puff ball dropping near the penalty spot lol.

SoccMan2
05-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Wow we barely beat the Whitecaps academy team for heaven sakes, Caldwell crap Gilberto if he can't score against kids then when will he score and Rey useless, god help us!

pdubs
05-07-2014, 08:42 PM
agreed. we were not dominate but a lot of our shots were poor. biggest issue is this was a reserve heavy whitecaps team.

tfcleeds
05-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Gilberto really needs to get off the schneid soon, for the sake of his own psyche, if anything. I thought this would have been the game to do it.

NolbertoS
05-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Right now it doesnt look like Gilberto was a smart signing we need to rid him of his DP contract, would be fine if he was just an international player

The way the Caps, Uruguayans are playing, I think TL should try to lure Forlan after the World Cup and dump Gilberto. His countrymen, Camilo scored more timelier goals than he has.

Hamilton_Red
05-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Vancouver scored when they needed a goal. Robinson seems to be a much better coach than Nelsen.. they seem like they can actually develop players.

defensor
05-07-2014, 08:48 PM
The way the Caps, Uruguayans are playing, I think TL should try to lure Forlan after the World Cup and dump Gilberto. His countrymen, Camilo scored more timelier goals than he has.
forlan is pretty old and slow, but could help a lot with creation probably. all of the 'caps uruguayan players are not DP's and are somewhat young and we're acquired from some less watched leagues, i believe like premiera division peru and chile. So they don't really compare with forlan

gracos
05-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Gilberto is way too cocky to think he can score 20 goals in the season; doesnt understand this league is much tougher than he gives credit, just confused why he deserves to be a DP as he hasnt shown our fans his worthiness, and I think this signing as of right now is even worse than the JDG signing

defensor
05-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Vancouver scored when they needed a goal. Robinson seems to be a much better coach than Nelsen.. they seem like they can actually develop players.
he's way better. no question

SirBobSaget
05-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Well lieweke was sitting at the Rogers zone terrace. Hopefully he could also see that the money and hype are being wasted.

TFC07
05-07-2014, 08:53 PM
All I have to say is that I am glad I didn't go to this game. Save my money and time to waste 2 hours of garbage soccer.

Can we get a manager who knows a thing or two when comes to tactics? Seems like Nelsen is being outcoached every game this year.

Bradley is obviously holding back which is sick to see as a paying customer. I wonder what MLSE thinks of wasting money on players who don't give their 100% effort. I wish I could get paid in millions and not try as hard like Bradley. I hope it backfire and USA is eliminated after their 3 group games.

This game was a joke and I wish TFC just played their academy team who at least play with some effort.

speckles
05-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Certain the weaknesses of players is being found out..time and time again, game after game. We need not just depth but generally a higher class of player. Our top two DPs can't do it on their own, why was the defense desperate all the second half...why is it necessary for Gilberto to have to come out and defend, not just set pieces...seriously.

Kaz
05-07-2014, 09:02 PM
All I have to say is that I am glad I didn't go to this game. Save my money and time to waste 2 hours of garbage soccer.

Can we get a manager who knows a thing or two when comes to tactics? Seems like Nelsen is being outcoached every game this year.

Bradley is obviously holding back which is sick to see as a paying customer. I wonder what MLSE thinks of wasting money on players who don't give their 100% effort. I wish I could get paid in millions and not try as hard like Bradley. I hope it backfire and USA is eliminated after their 3 group games.

This game was a joke and I wish TFC just played their academy team who at least play with some effort.

The dude just had surgery.. it takes time to heal.

OgtheDim
05-07-2014, 09:03 PM
People will take out of that what ever they want to.

Issy had a good game.

Away goal sucked.

DeRo stood up for the team.

You can see them not quite sure of where each other will be.

Defoe and Bradley were class.

I did not miss Jackson.

Roll on next week.

Pookie
05-07-2014, 09:19 PM

Whitecaps Academy is actually ranked pretty high by US Soccer Federation Development Academy.

If that is their depth, they are going to be fun to watch for years.

ManUtd4ever
05-07-2014, 09:23 PM
TFC had the obvious edge in play for most of the night, and really should have put away a few more chances. That being said, Vancouver's youth squad still generated a couple of point blank scoring chances, and our defence capitulated in the dying minutes yet again when Robinson brought on their starters.

We may have won the match, but I think Vancouver can take away more positives going into the second leg. We will need to step it up in Vancouver.

Yohan
05-07-2014, 09:30 PM
intense game as both teams played with a lot of effort. I guess the V Cup matters to Canadian players.

you can see exactly what Nelsen wants the team to play on the attack with alot of combo and one touch passes, but TFC got too cute too many times with the passes. Caps kids deserved a goal for their effort. they have talent.

ManUtd4ever
05-07-2014, 09:33 PM
On a positive note, TFC will be better rested going into the second leg with a bye week again, and Vancouver playing Columbus this weekend. It will be interesting to see what Robinson does with his lineup in both games.

ManUtd4ever
05-07-2014, 09:36 PM
And I think it's safe to say that the winner will go on to represent Canada in the CCL. I tried watching some of the 1st leg between Montreal and Edmonton, but it's just too painful.

OgtheDim
05-07-2014, 09:38 PM
A win, a Bradley goal, a Defoe goal and DeRo charging in to protect our keeper.

Cup games are not supposed to be easy. Hopefully we finish better on the turf next week.

defensor
05-07-2014, 09:55 PM
wow we got a really well timed bye week, I wonder what vancouver fans are saying about that with an away cross conference game on saturday lol

ag futbol
05-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Gilberto is way too cocky to think he can score 20 goals in the season; doesnt understand this league is much tougher than he gives credit, just confused why he deserves to be a DP as he hasnt shown our fans his worthiness, and I think this signing as of right now is even worse than the JDG signing
Just the overconfidence you find in most professional athletes and especially strikers. If they don't believe they can score, they are toast. Most of these guys think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, they just won't say it in the media. This guy comes from a different culture and talking a big game may be more of the order of the day as opposed to our "I work really hard" line that everybody eats up here.

I'm not terribly impressed, but I woudn't throw Gilberto out too soon. The foreign striker MLS adjustment period can be pretty long. Urruti looks like he is just coming around right now...

gracos
05-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Just the overconfidence you find in most professional athletes and especially strikers. If they don't believe they can score, they are toast. Most of these guys think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, they just won't say it in the media. This guy comes from a different culture and talking a big game may be more of the order of the day as opposed to our "I work really hard" line that everybody eats up here.

I'm not terribly impressed, but I woudn't throw Gilberto out too soon. The foreign striker MLS adjustment period can be pretty long. Urruti looks like he is just coming around right now...

Never understood the trade of Maxi Urruti, I rated his style a lot higher than Gilberto, but I guess we need to wait and see

Jeff s
05-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Ridiculous that Nelson takes out Issey, one of the best players on the pitch, and leaves Rey for a full 90 after coming back from an injury. Seriously Nelson, your decisions is just baffling at times.

Never understood the trade of Maxi Urruti, I rated his style a lot higher than Gilberto, but I guess we need to wait and see

Well its not like he's doing any better. Personally, even though Gilberto hasn't scored a goal, I see him contributing more to the attack. He works harder to find space, better ball control and vision. Urruti, to me, at times seems lazy and is easily shrugged off the ball.

OgtheDim
05-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Larson tweets half the team has the flu. That's why Hagglund pulled pregame.

defensor
05-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Most of these guys think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

ahaha.

yeah I pretty much agree though. also guys like defoe have had extensive media training and know just what to say. Where's you see guys like Issey and Gilberto who just sort of speak their mind. And confidence is ridiculously important for strikers, they basically have to be greedy assholes. That's where playing alongside defoe might have an effect a bit, as in, it's obvious that defoe would be the first choice to be getting the chances. But overall I wouldn't blame Gilberto as much I would more blame nelson for paying him so much and building so much hype excetera, and having 2 DP striker goal poachers. I agree with Jeff in that Gilberto is working hard, helping set up goals, but to me he just seems to be somewhat unlucky but mores lacking confidence in his finishing.

I agree about Rey, on his best days he just puts his head down and dribbles into a crowd i find.

side note, is anyone watching this boaki kid from canada on edmonton? he's miles ahead of bekker and only 17. I was sort of half watching this game but man it sure looks like the canadian national team might be able to at least compete in about 5 years.

Hamilton_Red
05-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Ridiculous that Nelson takes out Issey, one of the best players on the pitch, and leaves Rey for a full 90 after coming back from an injury. Seriously Nelson, your decisions is just baffling at times.

Well its not like he's doing any better. Personally, even though Gilberto hasn't scored a goal, I see him contributing more to the attack. He works harder to find space, better ball control and vision. Urruti, to me, at times seems lazy and is easily shrugged off the ball.

issey starts before Rey everytime from what I can see. Nit sure what people see in Rey TBH.

Leedsoronto
05-07-2014, 10:26 PM
@defencer

Boakai was in the U17 team this year with Carducci and Hamilton, that made it too to U17 WC he was also a shining light there too. The games were all streamed and also a game on Sportnet.

jazzy
05-07-2014, 10:26 PM
People will take out of that what ever they want to.

Issy had a good game.

Away goal sucked.

DeRo stood up for the team.

You can see them not quite sure of where each other will be.

Defoe and Bradley were class.

I did not miss Jackson.

Roll on next week.

all accurate ,,,Issy was a pit bull and has to start . led all the attacks when he came on . He wants to win unlike a few . Sorry to all but I am starting to doubt Nelson and Gilberto , phew caught the Toronto disease of trying to do it all by himself and therefore making himself impotent . Why does Bekker take every corner , free kick ? . Bendik was up for it . We have to find an AM . I think that is frustrating Bradley ,. Or is it the tactics ? Hello MR . bradley senior . We need him . PS if Montreal or Chicago win 1 more game we're back in the bottom . AND the damn bugs NEVER left . They are in every orfice .

notthesun
05-07-2014, 10:30 PM
issey starts before Rey everytime from what I can see. Nit sure what people see in Rey TBH.

Watch his combination play with Bloom. They consistently build dangerous attacks.

It's just a shame Rey can't keep his head when he gets the ball in his feet inside the box.

ag futbol
05-07-2014, 10:36 PM
all accurate ,,,Issy was a pit bull and has to start . led all the attacks when he came on . He wants to win unlike a few . Sorry to all but I am starting to doubt Nelson and Gilberto , phew caught the Toronto disease of trying to do it all by himself and therefore making himself impotent . Why does Bekker take every corner , free kick ? . Bendik was up for it . We have to find an AM . I think that is frustrating Bradley ,. Or is it the tactics ? Hello MR . bradley senior . We need him . PS if Montreal or Chicago win 1 more game we're back in the bottom . AND the damn bugs NEVER left . They are in every orfice .
I would like to see a lot more positional discipline either from Bradley or from whoever plays with him in the middle of the park. Probably one of the largest things I disagree with about our tactics right now.

defensor
05-07-2014, 10:51 PM
I would like to see a lot more positional discipline either from Bradley or from whoever plays with him in the middle of the park. Probably one of the largest things I disagree with about our tactics right now.
I think Bekker playing defensive mid and bradley playing attacking might have something to do with it lol. There's probably and arrangement for the two of them to swap positions at certain times or something though, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Sometimes you see teams have their creators drop back while in possession to help distribute the ball, but not play there the whole game necessarily, and it's not as if bekker is a great distributor or anything really anyways imo. They should see if they should get Boaki instead. But as pretty much everyone has said Bradley can play better than this.

@notthesun

Yeah, they made some somewhat nice looking passing plays, but the defending on that side was pretty weak from Vancouver

reggie
05-07-2014, 10:58 PM
we really need a AM...we run out of ideas around the box.

JavierMartini
05-07-2014, 11:06 PM
Seriously...this is going south now. That was our best starting outfield.... Against a youth team. Away goal advantage for Vancouver. They are not going to have a chance in Vancouver.

Gilberto & Rey were just awfull.

wut?

Kaz
05-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Montreal lost

Lennon
05-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Montreal lost

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQG-oTXTWwluWUmDZOxikt1xCAKfrXpSrICT8iLle71La_xAMTJ

kodiakTFC
05-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Rey is incredible at beating defenders on the wing and "crossing" it into the feet of the defenders in the box. He'd be a real winner if he could raise his crosses about a meter.

Ivy
05-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Rey was horrid today. And I'm usually one to support him.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Jesus Buncha Debbie downers here. Wasn't the best game by any means but jesus

jloome
05-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Jesus Buncha Debbie downers here. Wasn't the best game by any means but jesus

Imagine if we draw the next leg. Mass suicide.

Mun
05-07-2014, 11:55 PM
So after reading this thread we 1) lost the game, 2) need to fire our coach, 3) rid ourselves of a DP and 4) doomed to eternity because we are TFC. Did I miss anything? ;)

Ivy
05-07-2014, 11:56 PM
So after reading this thread we 1) lost the game, 2) need to fire our coach, 3) rid ourselves of a DP and 4) doomed to eternity because we are TFC. Did I miss anything? ;)
Nope, that about covers it.

Oh, fix the damn grass... Sheesh...

reggie
05-08-2014, 12:02 AM
if you guys are happy with a 2-1 win over a bunch of schoolboys good for you..im not.
remember last year in mtl....

TFC1154ever
05-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Everyone who's saying Gilberto is shit is fucken retarded. He does everything right off the ball, very un rated passer of the ball ala Defoes goal, good defensive work rate and wins alot of aerial battles. Gets in really good positions to score too. I agree it's fustrating that he hasn't scored but you see everything's there. They are going to hit the back of the net eventually!

Mun
05-08-2014, 12:13 AM
if you guys are happy with a 2-1 win over a bunch of schoolboys good for you..im not.

Whether I am happy or not is secondary to the extreme reactions by some. Conceding the goal last second was the negative I take from the game because that is a pattern of concern we all know too well. But, it's football and there are no guarantees you will smash a team just because they fielding "a bunch of schoolboys"

Mun
05-08-2014, 12:14 AM
Nope, that about covers it.

Oh, fix the damn grass... Sheesh...

Ahh yes the grass! I do say that should be # 1 on my list

mcolvy
05-08-2014, 12:17 AM
I would take Gilberto over Urruti anyday. Urruti is probably more active and fluid and is good at building up a play and what not, but Gilberto is more powerful and dangerous. Urruti also is a bit green and doesnt have what it takes to lead a line. He is surrounded by an unbelievably talented team and if he were to receive the ball outside the 18 with the defensive line infront of him, he would be useless. AKA what our strikers have to deal with. However, Gilberto and Defoe aren't a great match and already Gilberto is forced to drop back a little deeper where he is less impactful.

Rey: Everyone can see his potential and how deadly he could be. The ball sticks to his foot and he uses his body and angles to shield the ball incredibly well. I see him as a similar player to Soolsma, lacks athleticism but when he can find his touch around the box he adds a good dimension to the team. Rey works harder on defense though, and he has impressed me with his surprisingly good commitment to defense. I am fine to give him more time. Issey is also coming around on the defensive end and he showed how dangerous he is breaking from defence to attack.

Hamilton_Red
05-08-2014, 12:24 AM
Whether I am happy or not is secondary to the extreme reactions by some. Conceding the goal last second was the negative I take from the game because that is a pattern of concern we all know too well. But, it's football and there are no guarantees you will smash a team just because they fielding "a bunch of schoolboys"

That was in no way a "win" we've given up the away goal and it's 2-1 at half time. They didn't play a single starter to begin the game (save tiebert). That was their second/third string back four. Gilberto couldn't score against Canadian schoolboys. Manneh will run riot against our back four. They should have had at least 2 goals.. They are way better at home & with their full squad...we are in deep shit. I'll be there to support...but...no expectations of a win. Laba vs Bradley will be interesting... but I expect a comfortable win for them.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Imagine if we draw the next leg. Mass suicide.

get those seppuku blades sharpened

__wowza
05-08-2014, 01:26 AM
A win, a Bradley goal, a Defoe goal and DeRo charging in to protect our keeper.

Cup games are not supposed to be easy. Hopefully we finish better on the turf next week.

VC matches are probably some of the most entertaining matches i've ever watched.
this tournament has so much drama it's unbelievable.

Cashcleaner
05-08-2014, 02:39 AM
^ I wasn't able to catch the game, but I did see the highlights on tv and the TFC website. Looked like a pretty good game. No-one will believe me, but I predicted a goal from both Bradley and Defoe. To be honest though, I was really hoping Gilberto would have bagged his first goal tonight. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with a 2-1 final score, though from the look and sound of it, Toronto definitely had the edge tonight and we had some great chances that just never materialized.

Not being able to keep a clean sheet kinda sucks though - dying seconds of the game and all.

OgtheDim
05-08-2014, 05:58 AM

Yeah, I remember that game.

Henry, Richter, Califf & Morgan - Defence

Bekker, Lambe, Osorio, Bostock - Midfield

Weideman, Earnshaw - Forwards

Things have changed.

Pookie
05-08-2014, 06:18 AM
Yeah, I remember that game.

Henry, Richter, Califf & Morgan - Defence

Bekker, Lambe, Osorio, Bostock - Midfield

Weideman, Earnshaw - Forwards

Things have changed.

2013 record through 7 (1-2-4) - 7 points

2014 record through 7 (3-4-0) - 9 points

Things have changed. Sort of.

OgtheDim
05-08-2014, 06:34 AM
Meh.....I get what your saying Pookie. But, if people can't see the difference in quality and mentality because they are focused on comparing points gained in two different schedules with an infinite number of different variables, then they will never ever be happy. If people can't see the advantage of a goal up because they got an away goal, then they will never be happy.

At what point do people actually get happy watching this game, or are we all to be doomed to be angry and sullen and upset at the lack of perfection and the possibility of failure? Only one team wins it all per season. The rest are doomed to walk away with a loss.

Personally, I want to see progress and effort. If I don't see progress and effort, then there's an issue, which is why I despised Mo and Mariner, who seemed to reward things other then progress and effort.

One of my best memories of supporting TFC is that other Dichio goal, that came after their keeper scored a goal over our guy's head. Magic that Dichio goal, and not because the team was great, or going anywhere or that the game was played well - it was just a magic moment of YES!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no such thing as a game we will all be happy with - just moments.

Now, let me get back to whining about how Jackson plays...... :) (i.e. I'm just as bad as everybody else)